Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,552 members, 7,837,117 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April (11972 Views)

Poll: Which team's winning the 1st leg?

Barcelona: 48% (45 votes)
Chelsea: 38% (35 votes)
Draw: 13% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

Chelsea Vs Swansea (2 - 0) On 28th April 2013 / Stoke City Vs Arsenal (1 - 1) On 28th April 2012 / UCL Semi: Barcelona Vs Inter [1 - 0; 2 - 3 Agg]On Wednesday 28th April (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by toxicguy: 7:24pm On Apr 29, 2009
krayola, u said it better than i did. whosoever thinks that history is nothing should go hang himself. mr chris when talking about history of clubs in the world, not a dilapitated england, never mention madrid. madrid is a case on its own. and you know that. madrid has won the ucl more times than all of england put together. madrids trophy cabinet has more trophys than hair on john terrys head. pls next time compare chelsea to other clubs not madrid, maybe then i'll stand by you. chelsea won a mere 2 epl and they can't stop talking about it. they actually won it thanks to cash and help from the other clubs that were to weak to challenge. whenever you win the ucl just 2 times, then i'll have time for you and the others. i'm sure by the time chelsea wins 9 ucl, my great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grand chidren will knock on my grave and give me the gist. (if the world still exists by then). anyways have a pleasant nights rest and enjoy tonights game cuz i dearly hope it won't be as boring as last nights. cheers my bro.
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by olokun(m): 9:57pm On Apr 29, 2009
I will finish my job at home.Am winninng

Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by olokun(m): 10:00pm On Apr 29, 2009
Up Chelsea Up blues

Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by Utali(m): 11:04pm On Apr 29, 2009
When is Man U vs Arsenal? grin
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by philip0906(m): 12:14am On Apr 30, 2009
@tocdee
The question was not very bright so I guess people avoided it. How can you call that result 'the best possible' for Chelsea as if they play in the French league?
thank u.u've answered only one!ansa the next one grin
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by switch47(m): 7:01am On Apr 30, 2009
chelsea dont play they just win (says xavi) and not a few sport analysts share this opinion- the blues are good at winning games, but they dont make good viewing,the Blues have been able to record some impressive results so far but they do not play play in the same crowd pleasing way as the Blaugrana side do,chelsea employ an effective style of playing but not at all attractive,Nou camp did not  change tactics just to ensure that they neutralise the non- pleasing playing stamford bridge side.

CHELSEA IS A DISGRACE TO ENGLISH FOOTBALL (play anywhere belle face pull and drag football)AND IF THEY TRY TO ATTACK AT STAMFORD BRIDGE THEY WILL BE DESTROYED And if they also try to commit 12 players in their Box 18 they wont be so lucky that time because the goals will go in then!!
CHELSEA WILL BE KICKED OUT BY BARCELONA!!

TRUE CHAMPIONS PLAY TO WIN    ------MUMU CHELSEA PLAYS NOT TO LOSE!!    It is a two leged affair------BARCELONA IS CLEARLY A BETTER TEAM THAN CHELSEA AND THEY WILL BEAT CHELSEA RIGHT THERE AT STAMFORD BRIDGE[/b]
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by frank239: 8:26am On Apr 30, 2009
hiiiiiiiiii thanks for sharing they are my favorite,
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by nateev1(m): 8:35am On Apr 30, 2009
I dont see anyway this present chelsea will survive against Barcelona next week. too Bad
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by naso2(m): 10:49am On Apr 30, 2009
nateev*:

I dont see anyway this present chelsea will survive against Barcelona next week. too Bad

Hmmmmmm , Are you sure, how good can Barca be away?. Barca wanted to finish the match off in the first leg because they know how difficult it can get when they come to stanford bridge.

Its football and anything can happen though , but I think Barca lost their opportunity. In the second leg they will be busy trying to contain Chelsea's attack.
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by pek(m): 10:55am On Apr 30, 2009
Every 5 Nigerian out of 10 is a Chelsea fan!

where and how did you get the statics? 80% of nigerians support either Man U or Arsenal. the remaining 20% support Chelsea and others. go to the north, you will not find a SINGLE Chelsea supporter. i  have traveled extensively and i have not seen one in the north.   we in Lagos feel Chelsea have supporters. the truth is, lagos alone is not nigeria. a free chelsea match will not fetch audience in the north. make your research and see the result.
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by mukina2: 2:50pm On Apr 30, 2009
You guys can continue your chatter here :-

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-267497.0.html
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by bgees(m): 3:15pm On Apr 30, 2009
Chelsea on tuesday were a disgrace to european football and i can't believe they had a dutch coach . I never knew a dutch presiding over such anti-football.

And just remind Mr Dunce aka Nyabingi, Liverpool have never been anti-football. We went to the Nou Camp 2 seasons ago and got a win ,no barca player or d spanish press ever called us 'anti-football' but Messi thought we were a strange team.

If it had been Liverpool at the NouCAMP ,d whole world wouldn't be this disappointed.
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by pek(m): 3:23pm On Apr 30, 2009
good
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by kayjegs: 3:51pm On Apr 30, 2009
It was a nice match for barcelona, they proved that they could do it. To be sincere, they really played Chelsea. But I am waiting for them at home. They will be surprised. I am going to hit them hard. Just 2-0 in favour of Chelsea is enough for me. BLUES FOR LIFE!
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by toxicguy: 3:54pm On Apr 30, 2009
mukina- thanks for splitting the men from the boys, they were seriously spoiling this thread. we're talking about the east and they answer with the west. because of your timely intervention here, i shall give you and arsenal my support. well done. life saver. men, what would the world look like if it was run by juveniles. god.
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by shaddie(m): 5:34pm On Apr 30, 2009
Check out the response of Iniesta when asked whether they can do what Chelsea did at Nou Camp when they go to Stamford Bridge:

"We believe that playing well is the best way to achieve good results. Football is for enjoying and having a good time. Our fans wouldn’t forgive us if we played the way Chelsea did last Tuesday, with all the respect in the world. There are many ways to get results. I mean that we will maintain our philosophy to the end. Win or lose we won’t change our ideas”.

That's why I'm proud to be a Barca fan.
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by bgees(m): 6:29pm On Apr 30, 2009
shaddie:

Check out the response of Iniesta when asked whether they can do what Chelsea did at Nou Camp when they go to Stamford Bridge:

"We believe that playing well is the best way to achieve good results. Football is for enjoying and having a good time. Our fans wouldn’t forgive us if we played the way Chelsea did last Tuesday, with all the respect in the world. There are many ways to get results. I mean that we will maintain our philosophy to the end. Win or lose we won’t change our ideas”.

That's why I'm proud to be a Barca fan.

i just loved what iniesta said.it says so much about him as a professional and Barcelona as a great club.
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by eyonigger(m): 6:37pm On Apr 30, 2009
Iniesta was the only person posing great threat that day. To be sincere, if its gonna take this kind of ugly tactics for Chelsea to win the UCL, then I think UEFA has lost its credibility.
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by philip0906(m): 9:21pm On Apr 30, 2009
@toxicguy
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mukina- thanks for splitting the men from the boys, they were seriously spoiling this thread. we're talking about the east and they answer with the west. because of your timely intervention here, i shall give you and arsenal my support. well done. life saver. men, what would the world look like if it was run by juveniles. god
MCHEEEW! illiterate!
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by ibadanchap: 9:47pm On Apr 30, 2009
I think there has been a lot of unfair criticism of chelsea here.

I have just taken a look at the statistics of this year's UCL and of the four teams remaining in the competition, only Barca has scored more goals than Chelsea ( Barca - 29, Chelsea -19, Arsenal -16, ManU - 15) In terms of possession Barca also has the highest ( Barca - 62%, Chelsea - 51%, Arsenal -53%, ManU - 55%)

Several people have mention in their posts that Chelsea's advantage is the physical strength of their players. Now if u were Chelsea's coach/player will you play to your opponents strength or your's? Cramming may not be the best to pass an exam, but if u don't have any choice than to cram because u don't understand and you pass, will the pass be bad?

It would have been foolish for Gus/Chelsea to open up to the highest scoring and most possession having side in the UCL. His brief is to win the UCL, not play according to Barca's wishes and style. A lot of pple never gave Chelsea a chance against juve and liverpool, even with a 3-1 away advantage in liverpool's case.

If Nigeria had played against a side with barca's attack, and came away with 0-0, we would be happy with that team/coach.

I think the 2nd leg will be tough for chelsea, as barca is good. But there is no evidence to write chelsea off.
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by jalether(m): 9:58pm On Apr 30, 2009
on a second thought, shouldnt an eventual champion be winning with style

paying barca with nine men behind the ball is just not how champions roll, we chelsea fans

should call a spade a spade, play correct football whoever you play against, n if you get beat atleast

the world knows you didnt go out like a coward or a s**ker, what if after all the anti football barca comes

to d bridge to get a result now whats d point of the tactics then and all this is comming from a chelsea fan

just thought abt the whole thing n ve to agree with krayola et al on d anti football issue
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by Krayola(m): 10:16pm On Apr 30, 2009
@jalether,  Thank you for being objective. Debating here is frustrating sometimes because people never want to see anything credible in what the other side is saying. Its like talking to a brick wall sometimes.

There is a reason we all love football. We grew up watching great teams like Brazil, Maradona's Argentina, Our 1994 world cup national team, etc,  players like okocha, Romario etc. If all teams played like Chelsea did on tuesday football wouldn't have fans. I understand tactics,  being defensive should always be combined with at least some offensive ambition. Chelsea never pushed forward even when they had possession. Had Drogba scored that chance Chelsea fans wouldn't shut up about it and would deny that they got outplayed. Millions of people didn't tune in to watch Chelsea defend Barcelona,  they tuned in to watch two teams trying to out do each other. Barcelona wants to win the CL too, but Barca fans are fans of football first, and trophies second. We NEVER compromise.

Now I know Chelsea can attack when they want to, and i'm in no way implying that chelsea can not take Barca on in an attacking game, but they totally bitched out at the Nou Camp and that is a shame IMO. What Hiddink did was no stroke of genius,  relegation bound teams in La Liga do that shit too and get the results they want sometimes. Nine men behind the ball are hard to get by regardless of what team they play for.
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by toxicguy: 10:48am On May 01, 2009
well said by jalether. if you get knocked out, then do it with your heads held high. i'm really glad he accepted the way they played. i'm sure all chelsea fans are happy with the result, but no one can tell me they enjoyed the match cuz it was shit. just take a look at liverpoll-chelsea. liverpool were knocked out but they forced everyone (including the entire chelsea crew) to respect them for a heroic fight. now thats what a football fan is looking for. can anyone truly deny the credit liverpool deserve for that.
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by ibadanchap: 11:48am On May 01, 2009
Krayola:

What Hiddink did was no stroke of genius,  relegation bound teams in La Liga do that shit too and get the results they want sometimes. Nine men behind the ball are hard to get by regardless of what team they play for.

What would have been the stroke of genius? going out on attack with a major defender on suspension? i still believe gus did the best thing in his position. What fun will it be to lose by 4-0. Even if chelsea had lost by 2-0, i can imagine what pple will be saying on this thread, no matter what kind of football they played. Even after the fantastic liverpool q.final, i did not see any objectivity from non chelsea fans about the match. all they were saying was barca will destroy chelsea.

Chelsea has never won the ucl and i believe they need to do all they have to do to rectify that. Please lets watch the 2nd leg b4 we conclude they are not playing the way champions do.

They did not do anything outside the laws of football. ugly game? may be. but being out of the ucl for chelsea is uglier. And it's not as if we dont score. chelsea has scored more than manu and arsenal in the present ucl season.
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by ibadanchap: 12:19pm On May 01, 2009
Quote from premierleague.com:

''

With that tie poised at 0-0, Lampard expects Chelsea to be more attacking at home.

He said: "We did play quite a containing game in the first leg and at home we will obviously have a lot more of an attacking mind.

"I just think they have so many options on the ball that you can't come to Spain and open up against them on their own pitch.

"You have to be very disciplined in the roles and work very hard. You have to do a lot of selfless running, not particularly flashy running, and I think we've got our reward.

"Both teams can still win it from here. If they score at our place, it's difficult for us but we have to have confidence."

"
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by olokun(m): 8:18pm On May 01, 2009
I think Chelsea have to improve on their attacking style

Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by mykali(m): 2:03pm On May 02, 2009
i'm tired of seeing a lotta things here. some arguments are bland, some are just plain stupid.

the reason we employed Scolari in the first place was to play ''beautiful'' football. our first match in the EPL was a 4-0 drubbing of Pompey at the Bridge. everybody thought (i inclusive). . .''yeah, we had arrived. Scolari's the best thing that has happenend to Chelsea (after the special one) and we were ready to take on the world."
then the real test came when we played against bigger teams.
when we drew Spurs we thought it was normal. we were lucky to draw Man Utd and we thought we were okay. then when Liverpool won us at home, Roma won us at Rome, Arsenal won us at home again and Man utd trashed us at OT we knew Scolari's Beautiful football was taking us no where.

Guus Hiddink came over. since then we've won Juventus, Liverpool, Arsenal and the draw against Barca (although not impressive) was an okay result to take back home. if we played as ugly and dirty and anti-footballish as you guys say we deed then you should have known it was the game plan.

if you say Chelsea play ugly and anti-football then our matches against Barca in 2005 and Liverpool in the Ucl last month should not have been nominated for the best UCL MATCHES EVER!!!.

And if the draw against Barca was the worst game of football from an EPL team, then Man Utd should be crucified for what they did last season against the same ''must play beautiful football or i quit playing football'' Barcelona. and if i watched the game with my eyes. Man Utd went thru. thanks to ugly and anti-football. angry

finally, the return leg at the Bridge is going to prove to all y'all who watch soccer with your asses that when Chelsea is prepared to get a result from you, you are in for it.

Chelsea for Eternity.
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by Krayola(m): 2:42pm On May 02, 2009
Scolari should not have been fired. You don't build attacking teams overnight. When Barcelona hired Rijkaard we were terrible the 1st half of the season. By Christmas we were sitting in i think 9th place and people wanted him to be fired,  we went on to destroy the league and finished the season in 2nd place playing some of the best football I have ever seen. Chelsea were not doing half as bad but people lost patience. So that argument that Scolari's football was taking you nowhere is not valid imo. Good things come to those who wait, and Scolari in my opinion would have delivered if given time. Even Juande Ramos should have stayed at tottenham. These are coaches that have built teams that play beautiful football,  just cause they can't change a team in a few months does not mean they are inept,  it just means these things take time.
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by jalether(m): 1:45am On May 04, 2009
@ krayola , yeah we ve to give shuaibu Amodu time too grin

by 2011 nigeria will start playing sexy football, have patience guyz grin grin
Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by Utali(m): 6:44am On May 04, 2009
timmy7 and ibadanchap
You guys are on point like the nail on Calvary

What do you expect from Anti-Chelsea fans? Chelsea is the most discussed club!!! Arsenal, Man U, LIverpool etc all be over Chelsea's d1ck
Was watching CNN, Ferguson said to Benitez ' My real opposition (CHELSEA incase you don't know) is behind you! (liverpool) and we (man u) are in front of you.
Folks be here talking BS while the real AUTHORITIES in Football be Confirming CHELSEA!!!

Boys can't just get it, CHELSEA is a Movement, it is Spiritual, It is Religion, it is Lifestyle it is not only about football no more!! As soon as we beat Barca at home, B1tch plese do me a Favour and start another thread : Man U Vs CHELSEA UCL Finals who will Win?

Re: UCL Semi-final: Barcelona(0) Vs Chelsea(0) On Tuesday 28th April by onelexydo: 6:47pm On May 05, 2009
up blues but make i talk true the game go tough my guy they no go Bleep up for the bridge then go think of 200 which i don't to mention BLUES DON CHANGE mark that we go qualifer and we go beat anybody that qualifer for the final UUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPBLUES.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Manchester United Vs FC Copenhagen UCL (1 - 0) On 24th October 2023 / What Is Your Take On The 2012 Fifpro World XI? / Real Madrid Vs PSG : UCL (1 - 0) On 3rd November 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.