Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,749 members, 7,813,459 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:35 PM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (254) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (668045 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 6:04pm On Nov 18, 2015
tupacshakur:

My Grandma taught me to call anyone I'm not sure of their ages, Broda or Aanti. grin

Meanwhile, e mi o kii n se arugbo ojo o.

I can still play for the Nigerian U-17 National team, if you know what I mean. grin

Yes nau. Awon 40 years old players wey we dey claim 16years old dey there na. tongue
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 6:07pm On Nov 18, 2015
[size=13pt]Oyo, Labour Leaders Agree on Staggering Salary Payment[/size]

Oyo State Government and the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), including the Joint Negotiating Council (JNC) have signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to allow staggering payment of salaries and allowances to workers in the state.

In the MoU which was signed by the Head of Service, Soji Eniade, who led government delegation, the NLC chairman, Comrade Waheed Olojede and chairman JNC, Comrade E.O. Ogundiran and made available to newsmen in Ibadan on Tuesday, it was said that staggering payment was adopted in line with the statutory responsibilities of government taking into consideration, other segments of the society.

In view of the limited resources, the state government had proposed a percentage reduction in all expenditures, including salary and salary related but this was rejected by the labour leaders who suggested staggering salary payment pending improvement in government revenue.

The parties also agreed that government would concede 90 per cent of the monthly recurrent revenue receipt from the federation account and Value Added Tax (VAT) for the payment of salaries while 10 per cent balance available from the allocation would be utilized to augment other over- head cost, including running cost.

According to the MoU, the mode of payment would be subjected to review as soon as the resources of the state government improve.

It added that all due deductions would be released at every batch of payment of workers’ salaries while whatever arrears that might be accruing would be attended to when the finances of the state could accommodate such.

http://leadership.ng/news/475656/oyo-labour-leaders-agree-on-staggering-salary-payment
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by raumdeuter: 6:08pm On Nov 18, 2015
Scatterboss:

Yes Boss, Abeg baba, who dey under this moniker? grin grin

Balogun, Na you gangan suppose be Aare Ona Kakanfo

The warrior himself

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 6:08pm On Nov 18, 2015
kilode? shocked
I left here when the thread was still on page 240.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Firefire(m): 6:11pm On Nov 18, 2015
Wonderful history! /

HRH, CHIEF OGEDENGBE, Obanla of Ijeshaland (Oba-Ala Ogedengbe of Ilesha I), in his warrior uniform.

The first generation of the Great Ogedengbe dynasty.

Decorations: Balogun of Ilesha
Seriki Ajanaku of Ijeshaland
General / Commander-in-Chief of the Ekiti Parapo Army
Obanla of Ijeshaland (Oba-Ala Ogedengbe of Ilesha I)

He was a proud, courageous and confident Ijesa, although extremely difficult, he had a true and genuine love for his town and people. Ogedengbe was a no-nonsense man nor was he afraid of anyone. He was fearless, always willing and ready to fight or attack anyone who dares to challenge him and would not stop until the end. Ogedengbe had fame, charisma, wisdom and knowledge and was the ultimate icon of his time. Men want to be him and women want to be his wife.

It began in the 19th century, a century of revolution in Yorubaland, after the fall of the old Oyo Empire due to political crisis. Ibadan, a new city founded in the 1820s wanted to dominate and rule the rest of the Yorubaland and as result, there were wars among the kingdoms of the Yorubas.In particular the Kiriji war (also known as the sixteen years war) which started in 1877, it involved the struggle for power, influence and survival.The Ibadan on declared ‘a war to end all wars’ on the Egba on Monday, 30th July 1877, the Kiriji war officially begun.

The Ijebu joined and it began to spread. In 1878, it spread to the east, the Ekiti and Ijesa countries became united and formed an alliance known as Ekiti-parapo (the combined forces of the Ijesa and Ekiti) which was led by Ogedengbe of Ilesha .

The Ife and Ilorin later joined. Ibadan now had a string of foes that were ready to fight for their independence and also to free themselves from Ibadan imperialism.

History has it that during the war, Ogedengbe was totally beheaded but he cheated death in a miraculous way. His headless body simply walked towards his head, he picked it up and fitted his head back on.

This event, although very real and true but yet unbelievable, made his enemies even more terrified of him. For they believed that what could possibly kill Ogedengbe if the beheadings did not send him off to his grave.

For a time Ogedengbe of Ilesha, the legendary warlord, even terrorised the Yorubaland extending his ravages to Benin territory, capturing towns and enslaving its inhabitants. The kiriji war was the last war among the Yorubas and it lasted for sixteen years.

It was bought to a halt by British administration in Lagos, which produced the June 1886 Treaty and the proclamation of peace in Yorubaland.

http://ogedengbe.com/9702/

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 6:12pm On Nov 18, 2015
WIZGUY69:
kilode? shocked

I left here when the thread was still on page 240.

lol grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 6:14pm On Nov 18, 2015
Firefire:
Wonderful history! /

HRH, CHIEF OGEDENGBE, Obanla of Ijeshaland (Oba-Ala Ogedengbe of Ilesha I), in his warrior uniform.

The first generation of the Great Ogedengbe dynasty.

Decorations: Balogun of Ilesha
Seriki Ajanaku of Ijeshaland
General / Commander-in-Chief of the Ekiti Parapo Army
Obanla of Ijeshaland (Oba-Ala Ogedengbe of Ilesha I)

He was a proud, courageous and confident Ijesa, although extremely difficult, he had a true and genuine love for his town and people. Ogedengbe was a no-nonsense man nor was he afraid of anyone. He was fearless, always willing and ready to fight or attack anyone who dares to challenge him and would not stop until the end. Ogedengbe had fame, charisma, wisdom and knowledge and was the ultimate icon of his time. Men want to be him and women want to be his wife.

It began in the 19th century, a century of revolution in Yorubaland, after the fall of the old Oyo Empire due to political crisis. Ibadan, a new city founded in the 1820s wanted to dominate and rule the rest of the Yorubaland and as result, there were wars among the kingdoms of the Yorubas.In particular the Kiriji war (also known as the sixteen years war) which started in 1877, it involved the struggle for power, influence and survival.The Ibadan on declared ‘a war to end all wars’ on the Egba on Monday, 30th July 1877, the Kiriji war officially begun.

The Ijebu joined and it began to spread. In 1878, it spread to the east, the Ekiti and Ijesa countries became united and formed an alliance known as Ekiti-parapo (the combined forces of the Ijesa and Ekiti) which was led by Ogedengbe of Ilesha .

The Ife and Ilorin later joined. Ibadan now had a string of foes that were ready to fight for their independence and also to free themselves from Ibadan imperialism.

History has it that during the war, Ogedengbe was totally beheaded but he cheated death in a miraculous way. His headless body simply walked towards his head, he picked it up and fitted his head back on.

This event, although very real and true but yet unbelievable, made his enemies even more terrified of him. For they believed that what could possibly kill Ogedengbe if the beheadings did not send him off to his grave.

For a time Ogedengbe of Ilesha, the legendary warlord, even terrorised the Yorubaland extending his ravages to Benin territory, capturing towns and enslaving its inhabitants. The kiriji war was the last war among the Yorubas and it lasted for sixteen years.

It was bought to a halt by British administration in Lagos, which produced the June 1886 Treaty and the proclamation of peace in Yorubaland.

http://ogedengbe.com/9702/

I was enjoying the story until I read the Edgar Allan Poe's piece.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 18, 2015
[size=14pt]Ogun to commission 40 projects, governor explains building of private residence[/size]

OGUN State Governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun yesterday disclosed that his administration had lined up 40 projects for commissioning on February 3 next year by President Muhammadu Buhari to mark the state’s 40th anniversary.
The projects, some of which are yet to be completed, are among those his administration had embarked upon in the last four years.

Ogun State was created on February 3, 1976 by the administration of General Murtala Mohammed.

The governor who spoke in Abeokuta at a town hall meeting towards the preparation for the 2016 budget assured that his administration remained “focused, committed, undoubted and sincere in delivering the dividend of democracy to the people”.

The meeting was organised by the Ministry of Budget and Planning to sensitise the people about government’s plans and priority projects for 2016 and to obtain stakeholders’ opinions and contributions to it.

The governor equally seized the opportunity to explain why he had embarked on construction of a multi-million naira private residence in G.R.A area of Abeokuta, the state capital.

According to him, he intends to retire to stay in that house till the end of his life, stressing that he had no intention to go and stay in Lagos after living political office.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/11/ogun-to-commission-40-projects-governor-explains-building-of-private-residence/

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Scatterboss(m): 6:16pm On Nov 18, 2015
raumdeuter:

Balogun, Na you gangan suppose be Aare Ona Kakanfo

The warrior himself

Legendary Dayokanu. Kabiyesi baba. I am loyal to your office boss.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 6:19pm On Nov 18, 2015
IlekeHD:

lol grin

iya agba wink
Mo dobale o. se kin joko ni, abi kin duro? grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 6:21pm On Nov 18, 2015

is this for real? grin

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 6:21pm On Nov 18, 2015

Ekiti people [except for me] can be quite stubborn. If they start something, they will hold on to it until they "win".

Very stubborn set of people.

Love my people like kilode though grin grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 6:22pm On Nov 18, 2015
[size=13pt]LASG to monitor churches, mosques preaching hate messages[/size]

The Lagos State Government has said it will start monitoring the activities of churches and mosques in the state to check the preaching of hate messages.

It said it would not condone religious intolerance, adding that those caught delivering hate sermons would be dealt with according to the law.

The Commissioner for Home Affairs, Dr. Abdulhakeem Abdullateef, said this on Tuesday during a meeting with members of the Nigeria inter-Religious Council, at the state secretariat, Ikeja.

He said, “Henceforth, we will start to monitor mosques and churches and ensure that clerics do not engage in hate preaching capable of endangering people’s freedom.

“Our constitution recognises the rights of every citizen to express himself or herself in a way he or she believes. Also, everyone has the right to freedom of religion and conscience.”

The commissioner urged clerics to remove their external loudspeakers after use in order not to constitute a nuisance to their community.

“This is the time for advocacy; let everybody realise that they have the right and freedom to practice their religion, but you will be stopped from practising that religion if it creates mischief and under Section 45 of the constitution, the government is empowered to put a stop to your freedom when it endangers other people’s freedom.

“We are going to ensure that this advocacy is taken to the grass roots to let people know that we are not stopping them from practising their religion but the rights of others must be taken into consideration,” he added.

Also speaking at the meeting, the co-chairman of NIREC in Lagos, Dr. Saheed Timeyin, emphasised the need to prevent youths from having contact with religious extremists.

He advised the state government to include Peace Education in the curriculum of primary and secondary schoolchildren for them to imbibe tolerance.

http://punchng.com/lasg-to-monitor-churches-mosques-preaching-hate-messages/
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by TerraCotta(m): 6:22pm On Nov 18, 2015
Katsumoto:

Welcome to the debate

First, Lagos is one of 6 states in the SW. I wouldn't want to restrict the discussion to just Lagos.

I focused on Lagos when discussing Tinubu because that's the state he governed and had the most direct influence on. He may have been a strong factor in the emergence of other Yoruba governors but it's not the same thing as being the executive. I think it's fair to discuss his achievements with Lagos as the backdrop.

Afterall, most of the SW states have debts. In any case, tax receipts may be high but is it being translated in an improvement in the standard of living of average Lagosians? Or revenue is going up and a few are getting paid?

From what I know, increased tax receipts in Lagos funded the construction of the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge, the first stage of the Lagos light rail system, the Lagos HOMS affordable housing developments (Ilubirin estate being a massive example), the indepdent power projects running courts, hospitals and other public buildings in Ikeja, the Ikorodu Road redevelopment and the solar street light project. Those are the infrastructural improvements I can think of offhand and which I've had first-hand experience with as recently as January. It's probably not an exhaustive list and it certainly isn't enough for an economy that's larger than Ghana and Kenya, but it's a start and Tinubu's role in instituting the public finance formula to fund these improvements is hard to dispute.

Second, I don't think anyone has demonized debt. Surely debt is required for development but the issue I have with debt in Naija are as follows:
1. Lack of Accountability
2. Mis-managment
3. Corruption

Well you certainly haven't demonized debt but I know several others have earlier in the discussion and generally on Nairaland, if we're being honest. Again, I don't fault people who don't understand how capital markets and infrastructure finance work, but we're not doing our states and region any services by insisting that being debt-free is some sort of aspirational goal. Public finance worldwide is debt-reliant and even on the corporate side, the most cash-rich companies in the world like Apple and Merck still fund operations with bonds.

I agree without reservation with your other points about lack of accountability, mismanagement and corruption. I'm not willing to condemn all debt if the results are visible.

And I doubt that SW politicians are implementing any Keynesian economics to boost their state economies. Were they practising Keynesian economics when Nigeria was making additional revenue from the sale of Crude oil?

I have no idea if Keynes is big in Nigerian political circles, but why do you doubt this so strongly? Aregbesola's rstionale for his OYES public employment scheme is exactly the same as the New Deal was in depression-era America: give people public-sector jobs to do anything (including transcribing folk songs and sweeping roads) to counter the lack of private-sector employment. They may not dress it up with terms like counter-cyclical investment but the philosophy is the same. Of course, I'm not suggesting that it has been totally effective.

The simple fact is that Jonathan and everyone in power in the last 6 years mis-managed funds which accrued from high oil receipts. Now that Oil prices have crashed and with most states bankrupt, what is the way out of the quagmire? What will Osun sell to pay its debt?

This touches on areas of professional interest for me but even then, I don't want to be arrogant enough to assume I can solve a problem that's been brewing since the early 1970s (when we went into oil production overdrive). For me, the oil price decline is a good thing for Nigeria It will force the central government to manage with less resources and to generate more taxes, or to starve and deal with crippling social unrest. States like Osun will have to develop agricultural assets like cocoa and palm oil for domestic/regional production and consumption not for low-value raw exporting. They can also devote themselves to tourism to the captive Yoruba diaspora. I think you've already mentioned that solid minerals are affected by the worldwide commodity price drops so the gold isn't likely to generate much income in the near-term, but it's about time to reduce raw exporting and move up the value chain in any way possible. Pair these steps with an injection of debt-funded infrastructure development that employs rural Nigerians and I believe we'll start to see results.

Third, the alternatives to Tinubu & his boys are obvious.

Who are they? Not being funny--I sincerely can't think of any credible candidates.

To whom much is given, much is expected.

My point is that I don't think Tinubu (and the other APC governors were 'given' anything. I think it took serious campaigning, strategizing, trading and some unsavory deals to get into higher elected offices. I don't think 90% of people have the charisma, connections, stamina or competence to run for office and we shouldn't pretend that elections are always won by the virtuous or the brilliant. There are other important factors that contribute to leadership, which is why some people are career civil servants and policy wonks and others go out for the electioneering. It's not easy, bro. If it were, all of us talking on Nairaland could be in Abuja today.

If Tinubu's party is making progress, there would be no need to make references to Bode George, Alao Akala, Kashamu, etc. When your party does well, the opposition isn't relevant until you mess up.

I'm surprised at your idealism here. When Awolowo was in office, he regularly played second-fiddle to Adelabu in the Ibadan area and was not unanimously popular in places like Ilesha either. Did that mean that he or the Action Group had messed up? Social progress in a deeply-damaged place like Nigeria is going to be long and slow and anyone benefitting from the status quo is sure to resist it. That's the reason why convicted drug couriers and vapid jobbers are fighting hard and paying whatever is necessary to remain relevsnt. I don't think that means Tinubu is no good.

Fourth, China's debt to GDP ratio is high but China really isn't the best example of efficient spending since most of its infrastructure is unused. And lets not forget that China holds a large percentage of US Debt. China's holding of US Debt ($1.5T) is approximately 25% of it's own national debt. So China has some fall back. In addition, China leads in industrialization and manufacturing. Nigerian states are borrowing large sums of money, but what are they spending these loans on?

China isn't the best example of efficient spending--quite true. I was using them as an example of highly-developed, debt-funded infrastructure development though. Development that provided employment and enabled the spectacular growth of the private sector. It's far from perfect but I'm quite sure the average Nigerian would take living in Shanghai or Chengdu over Somolu or Yola.

Lets call a spade a spade - states collected free money from the center and borrowed both internally and externally yet are struggling to pay salaries; no improvement in health, infrastructure, education, defence. Where is the money?

I can't speak in those types of generalities. I've seen new roads in Osun, along with the youth employment scheme, free lunches and a free computer tablet for secondary education; significant new real estate and infrastructure development in Ogun; some impressive tourism development in Oyo and Ekiti and all the afore-mentioned advancements in Lagos. Let me stress that this is not good enough. At the same time, I won't pretend as if all the money evaporated into thin air or dissolved into political pockets. Let's find ways to insist on transparent budgeting, borrowing and spending but I can't sign on to wholesale doom and gloom when I can see (slight) progress with my own eyes.

Signing off for a while now--it's late over here but I wanted to make sure I replied.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 6:23pm On Nov 18, 2015
WIZGUY69:

iya agba wink

Mo dobale o.
se kin joko ni, abi kin duro? grin

Rara, kuku lo bami se iyan ati egusi. Se o fe duro ko ma wo mi ni, abi o fe joko simi lese. Lo bami s'ounje. tongue
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 18, 2015
Sir Terracotta kilode! grin grin

Se fe se wa lese ni?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Scatterboss(m): 6:26pm On Nov 18, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

I officially ban you from posting on this thread for cosigning that comment

Apologize grin grin cheesy

Baba, I just hail my big bro Dayokanu nii. I am not fit into that position boss. Apologies Baba.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 6:33pm On Nov 18, 2015
Scatterboss:

Baba, I just hail my big bro Dayokanu nii. I am not fit into that position boss. Apologies Baba.

May your days be long for being a good Odua son grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 6:35pm On Nov 18, 2015
IlekeHD:

Rara, kuku lo bami se iyan ati egusi. Se o fe duro ko ma wo mi ni, abi o fe joko simi lese. Lo bami s'ounje. tongue

haaaaaaaaaa shocked
iya agba!
emi na ma ni iyawo n'le o
momatidi okunrin o.
boya k'eran elomi cry
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 6:36pm On Nov 18, 2015
Scatterboss:

Egbon!
Your gifs are something else!
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 6:36pm On Nov 18, 2015
Scatterboss abeg help us edit your comment

Na joke I dey oo baba mi grin grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 6:37pm On Nov 18, 2015
Scatterboss:

Egbon!
Your gifs are something else! grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by devilishM: 6:37pm On Nov 18, 2015
IlekeHD:

Who is he?

That boss and his odua crew retired many flattinos like dozzybaba, Ngozievergreen e.t.c from nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Firefire(m): 6:38pm On Nov 18, 2015
About the referred Are Onakakanfo Title in Yoruba Land

Are Onakakanfo is a war viceroy and valued by Yoruba tradition as the most powerful and revered, of all the other ancient traditional titles cherished by the people.

The Kakanfo is usually an extraordinary citizen who is expected to lead the Yoruba people in peace and war times. Kakanfo is usually conferred on the greatest soldier and the most remarkable tactician of the day. In recent times this has been extended to include the frontiers of politics.

The title, which is akin to a Field Marshall, was first introduced into the Yoruba country by Oba Ajagbo, several centuries ago.

A source close to the Alaafin said the Aare Onakakanfo is the highest title that any Yoruba man can be bestowed upon. It is the equivalent of a Field Marshal in the army. There is no other title any one can get after the Kakanfo.

It is the final honour any one could get. Sources claimed that the title is usually picked after consultation with certain sacred and celestial order, and that it involves the presentation of several names passed on in some cases to the 'heavenly powers' to choose'.

Though in years past, the title was associated with the Oyo empire, its overwhelming impact on the entire Yoruba nation cannot be denied. The Kakanfo had dominion over almost all Yoruba territories at a time in the past extending to far away Togo, Benin Republic and Ghana.

The title of Aare Ona Kakanfo was introduced hundreds of years ago to the Yoruba country by King Ajagbo, who ruled over 700 years ago. The introduction of the title was informed by the need to fortify the ancient, pre-colonial army of the old Oyo Empire which at one time could boast of over 100,000 horsemen.

The selection involves several rituals and there have been speculations that the last two Kakanfos did not complete the ritual circles. Samuel Johnson in his book treatise on the Kakanfo stated that the Kakanfos are always shaved, but the hair on the inoculated part is allowed to grow long, and when plaited, forms a tuft or sort of pigtail,' adding that Kakanfos are generally 'very stubborn and obstinate.

They have been more or less troublesome, due to the effect of the ingredients they were inoculated with. In war they carry no weapon but a weapon known as the King's invincible staff.' At one time in the ancient times, a Kakanfo, unable to witness war was said to have fomented a civil war in Ogbomoso 'which he also repressed with vigour', just to prove his might. It is generally understood that they are to give way to no one not even to the King, their master.

Hence, Kakanfos are never created in the capital but in any other town in the Kingdom '

'By virtue of his office he is to go to war once in 3 years to whatever place the King named, and dead or alive, to return home a victor, or be brought home a corpse within three months'. He noted that the Kakanfo usually has certain ensigns: The Ojijiko, and a cap made of the red feathers of the parrots tail, with a projection behind reaching as far down as the waist, an apron of leopards skin, and a leopard skin to sit on always the Asiso or pigtail and the Staff invincible.

Apart from Chief Akintola and Chief M.K.O. Abiola, the past Aare Onakakanfo since about over 500 years ago were:

Kokoro gangna of Iwoye, Oyatope of Iwoye,

Oyabi of Ajase,

Adeta of Jabata,

Oku of Jabata,

Afonja l'aiya l'oko of ilorin,

Toyeye of Ogbomoso,

Edun of Gbogun,

Amepo of Abemo,

Kurumi of Ijaye,

Ojo Aburumaku of Ogbomoso (son of Toyeje) and

Latosisa of Ibadan,

the last of the ancient Kakanfos After Latosisa,

Chief Ladoke Akintola was appointed the Kakanfo. He died in tragic circumstances during the January 15 coup.

Since the death of MKO Abiola, no one has been appointed as the Kakanfo by the Alaafin and in a way, the delay in appointing the Kakanfo in the past and even now, has always added to the myth that surrounds the title.

‘Former President Olusegun Obasanjo desperately wanted to be appointed the Are Onakakanfo. He wanted the title more than anything else. He lobbied for it. He fought for it. He did everything to get the title while in power as the number one citizen, but he lost woefully’, a source close to the former president told The Nation.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/archive2/tblnews_Detail.php?id=60166
http://olalekanakogun..com.ng/2012/08/who-becomes-aare-ona-kakanfo-of_23.html

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Omenkata: 6:39pm On Nov 18, 2015
devilishM:

That boss and his odua crew retired many flattinos like dozzybaba, Ngozievergreen e.t.c from nairaland.

cc
Lalasticlala obinoscopy Seun this is getting out of hand

is bigotry allowed on nairaland

Thanks
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Scatterboss(m): 6:39pm On Nov 18, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

May your days be long for being a good Odua son grin grin cheesy

Amin Ashe grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Scatterboss(m): 6:40pm On Nov 18, 2015
WIZGUY69:

Egbon!
Your gifs are something else! grin

Bros, I dey learn from nii from shymex and co grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 6:40pm On Nov 18, 2015
As part of its efforts to promote agriculture in the state and make it viable for agri-preneur, the Ondo State government has concluded arrangement to establish a regional farmers market in the state with a view to strengthening the agricultural sector and provide opportunities for farmers to market their products. Speaking with newsmen in Akure, the state’s Commissioner for Information, Kayode Akinmade said that the move was part of government’s resolve to focus on agriculture and ensured that farmers got value for their produce. He added that the regional market, which was located at Owena, Idanre local government area of the state would accommodate farmers from within and outside the state was taking off with 130 open shops and 40 lock up shops. He added that the market was expected to take-off fully before the end of the year. Speaking in the same vein, Chairman of the state’s Wealth Creation Agency (WECA), Mrs. Bolanle Olafunmiloye said that the farmers market would be the first of its kind in the history of the state, noting that it would not only be well coordinated but would also provide enormous opportunities for farmers to access information, sell their produce in bulk, reduced post harvest losses as well as secure better prices for their produce. While expressing joy over the level of infrastructural development put in place by the Direct Labour Agency of the state government handling the market project structure, the chairman said that the market would be expanded with modern infrastructure to accommodate livestock farmers. The agency chairman, who noted that the present administration under the leadership of Governor Olusegun Mimiko had implemented good policies in the agricultural sector, which had encouraged more people to embrace farming, affirmed that the market would be commissioned before the end of the year. The state government had constituted a six- man committee under the chairmanship of Mrs. Olafunmiloye to facilitate the establishment of the market, have other members drawn from Ministries of Agriculture and Rural Development, Works, Direct Labour Agency, Wealth Creation Agency and Ondo State Agricultural Commodity Association.

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 6:41pm On Nov 18, 2015
Scatterboss:

Bros, I dey learn from nii from shymex and co grin grin
haaaaaaa grin oga o. one of the major reasons I can't do without this thread!
keep it up Sir!
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 6:42pm On Nov 18, 2015
Omenkata:

cc
Lalasticlala obinoscopy Seun this is getting out of hand

is bigotry allowed on nairaland

Thanks

We're very sorry about that

May Chukwu abiama bless you for pointing that out Sir

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 18, 2015
TerraCotta:

Let's find ways to insist on transparent budgeting, borrowing and spending but I can't sign on to wholesale doom and gloom when I can see (slight) progress with my own eyes.

This is my favorite part.TRANSPARENCY!

For me its not about how much you borrow

What did you use the money you borrowed for is what I'm concerned about

Laudate this is what I was talking about as regards the issue of increasing tax
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Katsumoto: 6:47pm On Nov 18, 2015
MayorofLagos:
Katz,
I am yet to get to the root of the misunderstanding that erupted into Kiriji war.

This is what I know about men's outlook on life and survival generally.

1. If you lay a feast of every decent and desirable dish on a table a mile long and invite men to it in reward for them to join a suicide mission squad, no man will show up.

2. If you open a vault filled with money and jewels as reward for suicide mission, men will show up, take a stock of it and ask you if they commit suicide how then will they enjoy all these treasure.

3. If you lay beautiful women on beds as rewards for men to join a suicide squad, men will trample over one another to be the first in line. Some will turn back once it dawns on them its not an everlasting reward.

4. If you promise virgins...72 of them as everlasting reward...and give suicide mission as the gateway to these virgins, plenty of men will show up ready to strap on and go to the mission. Some will ask for time to think about it and consult with their friends and brothers, half of them will return with their brothers and friends as volunteers....the other half will wonder why the heaven virgin is more valuable than the earthly virgin and never return.

I share this to bring you into reflection about man, poussy and survival. Take time to think about it and then share with me why Yorubas went to a total war and destoyed land and lives and towns and properties. Did someone steal Alaafin's cow? I doubt it. Somewhere in this intrigue there was a woman. I want to know this heroine and her story. cheesy

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Not all wars are fought over poussy, as you called it. This was a war over power, nothing more nothing less. Latosa wanted to subjugate other groups mainly the Egbas and Ijebus and bit more than he could chew. Once he attacked the Egbas, the Ijebus aligned with Egba and the Ilorins and Ekiti saw the opportunity to take Ibadan. The Ibadan chiefs, who were initially reluctant to fight, had no option to fight or face destruction.

It's nothing new, similar to how Napoleon wanted to conquer Europe.

But perhaps others such as TerraCotta can shed more light on this 'poussy' angle if one exists. grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.