Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,110 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (668635 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 9:43pm On Oct 26, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

I thought you said you wanted to show pictures of Lagos so why're you showing pictures of beautiful women?

Beautiful women from Lagos nau.

Se o get connection yen ni?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 9:43pm On Oct 26, 2015
[size=14pt] Ademola Adetokunbo Street
[/size]

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 9:45pm On Oct 26, 2015
Funjosh:

Hmmm. That is one thing I noticed whenever I speak general Yoruba, dey understand. But whenever they are communicating withing themselves I don't pick a single word from it. sad

I think same with the Yoruba of Kogi and some Part of Akoko Edo also.

Akokos are just like every other Yoruba sub-ethnic group. They speak general Yoruba and their local dialects.

What's funny about Akokos is that each community/town has its own dialect. I as a Yoruba hear some of the dialect when they speak while I don't understand some. Some Akokos don't even underatand each other. For instance Ibaramu Akoko, no one understand them when they speak apart from a native of Ibaramu Akoko.

I studied at FUTA and had some Akokos as friends. Let me invite one of them to show up. Ogbeni tolababa, your attention is needed here.

Where is Prof Katsumoto nah? How I wish he could make contributions to the thread.

What a lovely thread.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 26, 2015
IlekeHD:

Beautiful women from Lagos nau.

Se o get connection yen ni?

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 9:47pm On Oct 26, 2015
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 9:47pm On Oct 26, 2015
@ IlekeHD,

Abeggg, it's enough for the night.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 26, 2015
zimoni:

Akokos are just like every other Yoruba sub-ethnic group. They speak general Yoruba and their local dialects.

What's funny about Akokos is that each community/town has its own dialect. I as a Yoruba hear some of the dialect when they speak while I don't understand some. Some Akokos don't even underatand each other. For instance Ibaramu Akoko, no one understand them when they speak apart from a native of Ibaramu Akoko.

I studied at FUTA and had some Akokos as friends. Let me invite one of them to show up. Ogbeni tolababa, your attention is needed here.

Where is Prof Katsumoto nah? How I wish he could make contributions to the thread.

What a lovely thread.

Funny enough, I understand almost all the Akoko dialects cool.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 9:50pm On Oct 26, 2015
Kilode?

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Funjosh(m): 9:52pm On Oct 26, 2015
zimoni:

What a lovely thread.

Please I want to sleep na sad

That is what am saying, I also graduated from FUTA, had some friend from their. My roomate in 200l is from Ikaram Akoko whenever he is on call I was like OH GOD! This guy don start again lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 9:52pm On Oct 26, 2015
Is Egbe a Yoruba or edo name? Just clarifying...
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 9:53pm On Oct 26, 2015
superstar1:
@ IlekeHD,

Abeggg, it's enough for the night.

Kilode?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 26, 2015
superstar1:

The diversity in a strictly yoruba county is rich enough for us to contend with. Let them join the Niger Delta republic or Lower Niger Republic jejely.

Loool.

We can't disown missy89...she is supremely Yoruba. Don't worry I will put a proper gut in her belly and make her folks Yoruba loool.

Yes, we don't need Edos. Even Edos have all kinds of groups within the same ethnic group.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by teamchocolate: 9:54pm On Oct 26, 2015
Quite inspirational

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:03pm On Oct 26, 2015
IlekeHD:

lol dude you have a problem.......... you want to rule rich girls, but you don't want omo iya buka's pikin?

First start local.

Loool.

I'm the Duke and supreme ruler of Epe and I rule over everyone lol.

On a more serious note, I don't mess with owanbe Yoruba chics - only the exquisite and proper classy/exotic ones. And if I can't find the type that I like - I just stray to other places. Stress free life with varieties.

I believe she's a DJ and most likely an hiphop head...that is 60% of the work out of the way. I will catch her slipping as a highly educated guy and turn her out once I'm done lol. Our first date would be somewhere in my old hood like I did to some posh Yoruba chic one time. I just told her I wanted to take her out. Picked her up, bought a few drinks I know she likes and boom, I took her to a park at my old stomping ground where I grew up in Peckham. The proper hood. Turned it into a picnic and started telling stories and showing her places. We were there for like 6hours and I didn't even know when she fell in love and started kissing a nyggah. True story. A nyggah has been in this game for too long - it made me an animal loool.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by wytecat: 10:07pm On Oct 26, 2015
No worries! The all natural booze ain't bad!
laudate:

Cold palmwine would do very nicely! Thank you for the welcome. cheesy
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:11pm On Oct 26, 2015
ProfShymex:

But should we allow fifth columnists like their ancestor, Afonja, to join the Yoruba commonwealth cos of negligible resources? Their loyalty is with Northerners and Fulani emir. And these folks played a big role in the destruction of Oyo.

I also believe there's a reason why Yorubas never bothered to reclaim Ilorin, after defeating the Fulanis at Oshogbo. So it might be safer to let them be. Personally, if I were to choose, I'd pick Itsekiri in lieu of Ilorin. At least Itsekiris have resources and they're more intertwined with riverine Yorubas and Edos (who're like cousins to Yorubas) than Ilorin, to be honest. It's not worth it.

If we want Ilorin - we might as well go all the way to Oyo Katanga and claim the place - since Oyo started from there, before moving to Oyo Ile. That's just my opinion.
Tell me u hate ilorin people, listen to ur self, itsekiri because of their oil, are u telling me you'll chose itsekiri over ekiti because they will bring more money? Secondly kwara state was part of the west, now Noth central so they have no choice but to participate in everything going on in North, or do u want them to attend southwest governors forum ni, what about the okun people in kogi state, are they not yoruba too?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:14pm On Oct 26, 2015
yemaldo:

Tell me u hate ilorin people, listen to ur self, itsekiri because of their oil, are u telling me you'll chose itsekiri over ekiti because they will bring more money? Secondly kwara state was part of the west, now Noth central so they have no choice but to participate in everything going on in North, or do u want them to attend southwest governors forum ni, what about the okun people in kogi state, are they not yoruba too?

Are you from kwara state? if you are, abeg i have some questions for you?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:19pm On Oct 26, 2015
IlekeHD:

You call yourself a northern Yoruba, which state would that be?

What happened to oyb cry cry

i dey ; its just that this new linda ikeji nl . . .
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:20pm On Oct 26, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Are you from kwara state? if you are, abeg i have some questions for you?
Yes
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:28pm On Oct 26, 2015
yemaldo:

Yes

BBEAUTIFUL!

Can you please tell us about the demographics of Ilorin?

How do the Yorubas from Ilorin see themselves?

What do they think about the issue of Ilorin being ruled by an Emir?

How pro-yoruba are they?

Who do you think they will prefer aligning with if autonomy were to be granted
?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 10:33pm On Oct 26, 2015
oyb:

i dey ; its just that this new linda ikeji nl . . .

Heyyyyyy shocked shocked shocked shocked

Wowwwww long time. Did Jarus refer you to this thread?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by delpee(f): 10:33pm On Oct 26, 2015
@Ilekehd

You asked how we can improve on the educational system.

I am aware of an alumni (set) group which came up with a way to harmonise the financial contributions and physical/moral efforts of classmates in Nigeria and the diaspora for effective performance and result. They started by setting up a joint bank account. It is managed by three people,two of whom are Chartered Accountants. The bank statements are made available by email to everyone as well as bank alerts through a WhatsApp group chat forum. The transparent bookkeeping system makes it easy for everyone to get along without grudges or fear of losses.

Decisions are taken by majority votes on any issue. Discussions are mostly by email and WhatsApp to generate ideas and agree on projects and modalities. The diasporans had successfully constructed a building in the school and are now working with Naija based mates to work on a legacy project for the school. In addition, they are looking at a long term mentorship programme for the students and training/ facility support for the teachers.

If many groups come up like this with the determination to succeed, we'll see drastic changes in Southwest schools.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:36pm On Oct 26, 2015
IlekeHD:

Heyyyyyy shocked shocked shocked shocked

Wowwwww long time. Did Jarus refer you to this thread?

cheesy

naaa

i just saw the 5 mentions smiley

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 26, 2015
yemaldo:

Loool.

Sir, I'm sorry if you are offended by my post. I don't hate ya people. What I posited is based on personal observation and I'm just one person giving an opinion based on what I know (maybe myopic cos I have never interacted with the people from there like that)...not the opinion of Yoruba people. And my mentality is somewhat different cos I see everything from a prism where loyalty is non-negotiable and staying away from two-faced people and snakes is important at all times.

Furthermore, I'm not saying ya people are snakes and two-faced but you lot still have the ghost of Afonja over ya heads. Then in modern Nigeria, it seems ya folks align with the emirate up North than they do with Yorubas, hence what I posited. I don't know everything and other back-stories - and I might be a tad ignorant. So don't take my post to heart. It is just an opinion by an inconsequential Yoruba guy - not the Yoruba opinion.

Also, I wasn't talk about the whole Kwara. I was alluding to just Ilorin folks - Afonja's territory.

As for the Yorubas in Kogi - I already alluded to how proud they are of their Yoruba roots despite being geopolitically in a different region in Nigeria.

Again, sorry if my post was offensive.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 10:47pm On Oct 26, 2015
oyb:

cheesy

naaa

i just saw the 5 mentions smiley

Cool....are you back on nl or just viewing?

So as a Kwaran, do you consider yourself Yoruba or a Northerner?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 10:50pm On Oct 26, 2015
delpee:
@Ilekehd

You asked how we can improve on the educational system.

I am aware of an alumni (set) group which came up with a way to harmonise the financial contributions and physical/moral efforts of classmates in Nigeria and the diaspora for effective performance and result. They started by setting up a joint bank account. It is managed by three people,two of whom are Chartered Accountants. The bank statements are made available by email to everyone as well as bank alerts through a WhatsApp group chat forum. The transparent bookkeeping system makes it easy for everyone to get along without grudges or fear of losses.

Decisions are taken by majority votes on any issue. Discussions are mostly by email and WhatsApp to generate ideas and agree on projects and modalities. The diasporans had successfully constructed a building in the school and are now working with Naija based mates to work on a legacy project for the school. In addition, they are looking at a long term mentorship programme for the students and training/ facility support for the teachers.

If many groups come up like this with the determination to succeed, we'll see drastic changes in Southwest schools.

Sounds good.

What projects have they successfully carried out? Have they branched out to other communities?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:55pm On Oct 26, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

BBEAUTIFUL!

Can you please tell us about the demographics of Ilorin?

How do the Yorubas from Ilorin see themselves?

What do they think about the issue of Ilorin being ruled by an Emir?

How pro-yoruba are they?

Who do you think they will prefer aligning with if autonomy were to be granted
?

1)ilorin comprises of 5 local govt (asa, moro, ilorin south, East and west) of all those local government you'll only see larger population of fulani in ilorin west, and what majority don't understand is that these people have been yorubanized, u can stay a whole year in ilorin west and you'll hardly see anyone speaking fulani,these people will call themselves fulani but cannot speak their language anymore, they eat amala like mad and even give themselves yoruba name(the emir included) u can ask anyone schooling in ilorin
2)aside from larger population of fulani from d west, the remaining 4 local govt are yoruba even majority of fulani in west can't speak their language

3)issue of emir of ilorin is not a shame ilorin people alone should face, it's a slap on yoruba race, afonja invited the fulani to fight for him after betraying Aladin and they almost finished oyo empire, from oyo Ile (no present on) ogbomoso etc but the Yoruba fought back and when the get to ilorin they stopped, tell my why, ilorin was very important to oyo empire back then(maybe you should get a copy of Rev Samuels history of yoruba)
Afonja house in ilorin till date don't see eye to eye, they hate each other like mad, late govn Lawal tried to install a yoruba king in ilorin but he failed because d emir had people backing him from feds
3)if Nigeria divided today, do you think ogbomoso will be d boundary between west and North? I think the boundary will be in kogi state
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 10:59pm On Oct 26, 2015
ProfShymex:

Loool.

Sir, I'm sorry if you are offended by my post. I don't hate ya people. What I posited is based on personal observation and I'm just one person giving an opinion based on what I know (maybe myopic cos I have never interacted with the people from there like that)...not the opinion of Yoruba people. And my mentality is somewhat different cos I see everything from a prism where loyalty is non-negotiable and staying away from two-faced people and snakes is important at all times.

Furthermore, I'm not saying ya people are snakes and two-faced but you lot still have the ghost of Afonja over ya heads. Then in modern Nigeria, it seems ya folks align with the emirate up North than they do with Yorubas, hence what I posited. I don't know everything and other back-stories - and I might be a tad ignorant. So don't take my post to heart. It is just an opinion by an inconsequential Yoruba guy - not the Yoruba opinion.

Also, I wasn't talk about the whole Kwara. I was alluding to just Ilorin folks - Afonja's territory.

As for the Yorubas in Kogi - I already alluded to how proud they are of their Yoruba roots despite being geopolitically in a different region in Nigeria.

Again, sorry if my post was offensive.
If you know nothing about ilorin, at least u should ask, ask non indigen ilorin and they'll tell u.
Can u pls tell me ur state
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 10:59pm On Oct 26, 2015
yemaldo:

1)ilorin comprises of 5 local govt (asa, moro, ilorin south, East and west) of all those local government you'll only see larger population of fulani in ilorin west, and what majority don't understand is that these people have been yorubanized, u can stay a whole year in ilorin west and you'll hardly see anyone speaking fulani,these people will call themselves fulani but cannot speak their language anymore, they eat amala like mad and even give themselves yoruba name(the emir included) u can ask anyone schooling in ilorin
2)aside from larger population of fulani from d west, the remaining 4 local govt are yoruba even majority of fulani in west can't speak their language

3)issue of emir of ilorin is not a shame ilorin people alone should face, it's a slap on yoruba race, afonja invited the fulani to fight for him after betraying Aladin and they almost finished oyo empire, from oyo Ile (no present on) ogbomoso etc but the Yoruba fought back and when the get to ilorin they stopped, tell my why, ilorin was very important to oyo empire back then.
Afonja house in ilorin till date don't see eye to eye, they hate each other like mad, late govn Lawal tried to install a yoruba king in ilorin but he failed because d emir had people backing him from feds
3)if Nigeria divided today, do you think ogbomoso will be d boundary between west and North? I think the boundary will be in kogi state

What's in Ilorin that makes it so precious?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:04pm On Oct 26, 2015
yemaldo:

3)issue of emir of ilorin is not a shame ilorin people alone should face, it's a slap on yoruba race, afonja invited the fulani to fight for him after betraying Alaafin and they almost finished oyo empire, from oyo Ile (no present on) ogbomoso etc but the Yoruba fought back and when the get to ilorin they stopped, tell my why, ilorin was very important to oyo empire back then.

I love how you identify with Yoruba unlike some mawffugahs i've met who kept telling me technically they're blablah

Hmmmn so Fulanis majorly occupy just one local government in Ilorin.Interesting

You didn't answer all my questions though but its okay
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:10pm On Oct 26, 2015
IlekeHD:

What's in Ilorin that makes it so precious?
Get a copy of history of yoruba
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 11:11pm On Oct 26, 2015
yemaldo:

Get a copy of history of yoruba

Ok, in the meantime, please tell us.

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.