Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,110 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (58) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (668636 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:13pm On Oct 26, 2015
yemaldo take it slow, no be fight
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by delpee(f): 11:15pm On Oct 26, 2015
IlekeHD:

Sounds good.

What projects have they successfully carried out? Have they branched out to other communities?

The focus is on a particular school. Those in North America/ Canada had successfully built a block of toilets, renovated a classroom block and donated computers and laptops to the school and the teachers. They also provided a borehole. Those are the ones I know.

The current mission I referred to is being run by a group of about 50 reunited classmates resident in different parts of the world. They're pooling funds together and will soon pick a project from the list drawn by the school and the old students association.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 11:20pm On Oct 26, 2015
delpee:

The focus is on a particular school. Those in North America/ Canada had successfully built a block of toilets, renovated a classroom block and donated computers and laptops to the school and the teachers. They also provided a borehole. Those are the ones I know.

The current mission I referred to is being run by a group of about 50 reunited classmates resident in different parts of the world. They're pooling funds together and will soon pick a project from the list drawn by the school and the old students association.

Do you have pictures, website, links etc?

If they're transparent enough, they may get more sponsors from nlers.

The funny thing about all of this is that one Yoruba pastors can build 5 boreholes, equip 50 schools with modern computers and pay for 50 student's tuitions without blinking an eye.

I hope they take their wealth to "heaven".
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by scholes0(m): 11:28pm On Oct 26, 2015
Production Factories in Ibadan

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:29pm On Oct 26, 2015
IlekeHD:

Ok, in the meantime, please tell us.
Am not talking about present ilorin, am talking about old oyo empire
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 11:31pm On Oct 26, 2015
yemaldo:

Am not talking about present ilorin, am talking about old oyo empire

I know. I'm not trying to be snide, I really want to know why they wanted Ilorin.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by scholes0(m): 11:34pm On Oct 26, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
It seems Ilekehd is about to take aresa's position as regards Lagos cheesy cheesy grin

You should be as proud of Lagos as she is. It will forever a crown jewel in yoruba real estate.
Although I tend to favour the development of the hinterland. Places like Akure and Sagamu can be great locations for tech hubs and industries.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by petersje8: 11:35pm On Oct 26, 2015
Gentlemen, didn't start reading the post from the beginning but I just hope Lagos is not included in this discussions as Southwest?

IlekeHD:

I know. I'm not trying to be snide, I really want to know why they wanted Ilorin.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 11:37pm On Oct 26, 2015
scholes0:

You should be as proud of Lagos as she is. It will forever a crown jewel in yoruba real estate.
Although I tend to favour the development of the hinterland. Places like Akure and Sagamu can be great locations for tech hubs and industries.

Correct! wink
Lagos/Ogun for commercial, Akure for tech hub, hopefully Ekiti for Agriculture.

[size=14pt]Ondo State’s Innovation Hub Launches Project To Map-Up Akure
[/size]

Ondo’s first innovation hub, Eco-Innovation Hub is teaming up with the Ondo State government and Google to bring prominent locations in the city of Akure to Google Maps.

Through the project, the hub hopes to bring together about 50 young Nigerians some of whom are citizen cartographers to identify, edit and upload locations around the city including monuments, government infrastructures, financial institutions, hospitality businesses in the ancient town of Akure to Google Maps.

The project co-ordinator for the Akure Map-Up project, Akande Adeoluwa told TechLoy that the big plan is to place the whole of Ondo State on Google Maps, thereby making local businesses and tourist attractions in the state visible around the world.

The pilot phase of the Akure Map-Up project has been scheduled for August 8-10 and invites interested people to sign up to participate at the event here.

http://techloy.com/2013/07/25/ondo-states-innovation-hub-launches-project-to-map-up-akure/
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:39pm On Oct 26, 2015
yemaldo:

If you know nothing about ilorin, at least u should ask, ask non indigen ilorin and they'll tell u.
Can u pls tell me ur state

Well, that's why historians write books to educate those interested in scholarships about different things and that's why there's a forum like this one for interactions - in real time - with folks who live it.

Am I completely ignorant from a historical perspective and based on observation? - absolutely not. However, have I interacted with the overwhelming majority of folks from there to know where they stand? - no. So you can educate me further since you live it and you interact with the people.

Don't worry about my state - just know I'm Yoruba and from a collective/subgroup that is arguably the most loyal Yoruba group in Nigeria - apart from some madness due to kingship superiority. My folks have always been at the forefront of Yoruba struggle and I'd say we don't compromise when it comes to Yoruba interests.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 11:40pm On Oct 26, 2015
yemaldo:

1)ilorin comprises of 5 local govt (asa, moro, ilorin south, East and west) of all those local government you'll only see larger population of fulani in ilorin west, and what majority don't understand is that these people have been yorubanized, u can stay a whole year in ilorin west and you'll hardly see anyone speaking fulani,these people will call themselves fulani but cannot speak their language anymore, they eat amala like mad and even give themselves yoruba name(the emir included) u can ask anyone schooling in ilorin
2)aside from larger population of fulani from d west, the remaining 4 local govt are yoruba even majority of fulani in west can't speak their language

3)issue of emir of ilorin is not a shame ilorin people alone should face, it's a slap on yoruba race, afonja invited the fulani to fight for him after betraying Aladin and they almost finished oyo empire, from oyo Ile (no present on) ogbomoso etc but the Yoruba fought back and when the get to ilorin they stopped, tell my why, ilorin was very important to oyo empire back then(maybe you should get a copy of Rev Samuels history of yoruba)
Afonja house in ilorin till date don't see eye to eye, they hate each other like mad, late govn Lawal tried to install a yoruba king in ilorin but he failed because d emir had people backing him from feds
3)if Nigeria divided today, do you think ogbomoso will be d boundary between west and North? I think the boundary will be in kogi state

Yorubas fought back and decimated the fulani army. They never recovered from it. They were pursued from Ikirun down to gate of Ilorin.

History had it that, the Oluyole warriors did not enter into Ilorin because they believe most people in ilorin as at then have been islamised and it will be a futile effort fighting for them.

Ilorin people should make more effort to draw themselves into the mainstream yoruba agenda. Of course other yoruba speaking areas of Kawara eg Offa, Moro,etc are non-negotiable.

I believe the first step is for the yorubas in ilorin to demand for an Oba and subsequently install one, that will immediately pledge his allegiance to Alaafin. The politicking and propaganda will complete the rest of the full integration. They need wane themselves from the subtle programming those fulanis have successfully implanted into the minds of the ilorin people over the decades.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by delpee(f): 11:40pm On Oct 26, 2015
IlekeHD:

Do you have pictures, website, links etc?

If they're transparent enough, they may get more sponsors from nlers.

The funny thing about all of this is that one Yoruba pastors can build 5 boreholes, equip 50 schools with modern computers and pay for 50 student's tuitions without blinking an eye.

I hope they take their wealth to "heaven".

Lol at our wonderful pastors. Some are great givers though.

The group is not on Facebook etc. It's more of a private/personal commitment on their part to give back to society and appreciate Gods goodness. Probably at a stage they may wish to raise funds for the bigger projects in conjunction with the National Alumni body. It will be made public at that point in time. Thanks.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 11:41pm On Oct 26, 2015
[size=14pt]How Akure Is Building A Promising Tech Startup Culture And Community
[/size]

While Akure may never have appeared on any lists of tech startup hubs in unlikely places around the world, the largest city and capital of Ondo State in the South-Western region of Nigeria is gradually starting a movement to mould a tech startup culture and community.

No, it’s not Governor Mimiko’s administration that is driving this movement.

In case you’ve not heard, Akure wants to grow a cluster of startups through the Akure Startup Drive initiative that could see several cutting edge, digital, innovative tech companies operating in Akure, thus making it a hub for development and investment.

Far from being a state government initiative or any other institutionally-financed initiative, the Akure Startup Drive is “a blend of trainings, events, mentorship and real-life learning by working on real projects,” driven by young tech entrepreneurs who are leading thinkers and doers within the community.

The movement is open to young programmers, designers, marketers, project managers and tech inclined business men, especially those already working on an existing startup or tech-based project.

Already, there are quite a few awesome tech-based and Internet companies coming out of the city with a population of over 400,000 people and home to the Federal University of Technology, popularly known as FUTA. One of such companies is Omnific Labs launched in August 2011 to build several innovative products and services that solve real-life problems.

For example, the company launched OneCrier last August, a service (initially available at FUTA) that connects you to the events you are most interested in attending via SMS on your mobile device. Today, it announced a massive upgrade to the service with a more robust platform and spam-free event alert delivery system, adding new cities such as Lagos, Abuja and Yenagoa.

In addition, Akure has already played host to two TEDx events held last year which attempted to see and think the future as regards human capacity and infrastructural development in virtually all sectors that relates to economic and intellectual growth.

With the likes of FUTArians and software developers such as Ademola Morebise, David Olaniyan, Taiwo Orogbangba, Olusola Amusan and others leading and inspiring a new cadre of tech entrepreneurs in the emerging startup city, I believe that Akure will soon create a haven of tech thinkers and doers.

Most importantly, it would be great to see how the Akure Startup Drive would produce forward-thinking entrepreneurs and professionals who can build cutting edge, digital, innovative tech startups that can actually compete on a global scale.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 11:42pm On Oct 26, 2015
yemaldo:

If you know nothing about ilorin, at least u should ask, ask non indigen ilorin and they'll tell u.
Can u pls tell me ur state

State is an artificial boundary delineation for administrative purpose.

Ethnicity is stronger than state of origin.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:43pm On Oct 26, 2015
scholes0:

Lol but prof no where in my comment did i mention not being proud of lagos na. grin cheesy maybe you intended to reply someone else
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by delpee(f): 11:44pm On Oct 26, 2015
We should all strive to do something to improve the current condition of our schools individually and collectively through alumni associations. It goes a long way towards improving academic performance and moral upbringing of the students.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 11:45pm On Oct 26, 2015
delpee:

Lol at our wonderful pastors. Some are great givers though.
The group is not on Facebook etc. It's more of a private/personal commitment on their part to give back to society and appreciate Gods goodness. Probably at a stage they may wish to raise funds for the bigger projects in conjunction with the National Alumni body. It will be made public at that point in time. Thanks.

That's a great initiative though. You sound like you're part of their team.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by scholes0(m): 11:45pm On Oct 26, 2015
A great Future Awaits the Lagos-Ogun-Oyo corridor, if things are done right.
About 15-20% of the Lagos Metropolis is already within Ogun state borders, do you guyz realize that?
Lagos sate has by far the Largest GDP in Nigeria, while Oyo state has the largest non Oil economy in the entire Federation after Lagos. Ogun is coming up fast and furious, and will overtake Oyo (it was already in top 10 as at 2007 and is the 4th largest oil independent GDP), no doubts in my mind about that.

Lagos-Ijebu Ode-Ibafo-Abeokuta-Sagamu-Ibadan-Ikorodu-Sango Otta. These settlements will all become mashed up into a single Megalopolis Akin to the US North Eastern Cities in the future.
Development along that axis is just Amazing.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 11:46pm On Oct 26, 2015
delpee:
We should all strive to do something to improve the current condition of our schools individually and collectively through alumni associations. It goes a long way towards improving academic performance and moral upbringing of the students.

a good suggestion.

it is more or less like personal CSR.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Flyoruboy(m): 11:46pm On Oct 26, 2015
superstar1:

Yorubas fought back and decimated the fulani army. They never recovered from it. They were pursued from Ikirun down to gate of Ilorin.

History had it that, the Oluyole warriors did not enter into Ilorin because they believe most people in ilorin as at then have been islamised and it will be a futile effort fighting for them.

Ilorin people should make more effort to draw themselves into the mainstream yoruba agenda. Of course other yoruba speaking areas of Kawara eg Offa, Moro,etc are non-negotiable.

I totally agree with you that liberating ilorin would have proved futile for the Ibadan led legion at the time coz the ilorins themselves didn't exhibit any enthusiasm for their own liberation. They possibly would have fought on the side of the Fulas against the Yoruba army. But all that is now history.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 11:48pm On Oct 26, 2015
delpee:

Aare and I discussed this top last night. We can't exactly help if we don't trust these associations. The one you spoke about is not yet transparent, nor have I seen examples of their project.

Great initiative, but .......
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 11:50pm On Oct 26, 2015
Flyoruboy:

I totally agree with you that liberating ilorin would have proved futile for the Ibadan led legion at the time coz the ilorins themselves didn't exhibit any enthusiasm for their own liberation. They possibly would have fought on the side of the Fulas against the Yoruba army. But all that is now history.

they actually fought alongside the fulanis. The yorubas that were caught during the jalumi war were sent to Ibadan and beheaded in the public square for treason against the Empire.

Funny enough, the fulani Generals/War commandants were released, after massacring all their men.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 11:51pm On Oct 26, 2015
scholes0:
A great Future Awaits the Lagos-Ogun-Oyo corridor, if things are done right.
About 15-20% of the Lagos Metropolis is already within Ogun state borders, do you guyz realize that?
Lagos sate has by far the Largest GDP in Nigeria, while Oyo state has the largest non Oil economy in the entire Federation after Lagos. Ogun is coming up fast and furious, and will overtake Oyo (it was already in top 10 as at 2007 and is the 4th largest oil independent GDP), no doubts in my mind about that.

Lagos-Ijebu Ode-Ibafo-Abeokuta-Sagamu-Ibadan-Ikorodu-Sango Otta. These settlements will all become mashed up into a single Megalopolis Akin to the US North Eastern Cities in the future.
Development along that axis is just Amazing.

Awesome......Don't worry, Ekiti will soon join tongue
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 11:55pm On Oct 26, 2015
superstar1:

I believe the first step is for the yorubas in ilorin to demand for an Oba and subsequently install one, that will immediately pledge his allegiance to Alaafin. The politicking and propaganda will complete the rest of the full integration. They need wane themselves from the subtle programming those fulanis have successfully implanted into the minds of the ilorin people over the decades.

I believe there was a deeper reason why Ibadan warriors never bothered to liberate them when they got to Ilorin. And all the Yorubas who fought alongside the Fulanis were publicly executed in Ibadan for a reason. So why bother to liberate them now?

Also, I think Yorubas of that era would have liberated them if they wanted to (they had about three chances to do that)- but they left them in servitude for a reason. There is also a legend in an academic source that they were cursed by the Alaafin. So for them to be liberated, they might have to buy 200 cows, 100 chickens, and 50 birds to appease the gods and go see the current Alaafin looool.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by scholes0(m): 11:56pm On Oct 26, 2015
IlekeHD:

Awesome......Don't worry, Ekiti will soon join tongue

Honestly, Ekiti has a LOT to offer the SW.
It is a pity our politics in this country has no business with human development. Ekiti is small and very manageable with compact settlements spread around.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 11:58pm On Oct 26, 2015
ProfShymex:

I believe there was a deeper reason why Ibadan warriors never bothered to liberate them when they got to Ilorin. And all the Yorubas who fought alongside the Fulanis were publicly executed in Ibadan for a reason. So why bother to liberate them now?

Also, I think Yorubas of that era would have liberated them if they wanted to (they had about three chances to do that)- but they left them in servitude for a reason. There is also a legend in an academic source that they were cursed by the Alaafin. So for them to be liberated, they might have to buy 200 cows, 100 chickens, and 50 birds to appease the gods and go see the current Alaafin looool.

They were actually left as punishment for the treason.

There is every likelihood that they were cursed. You know the curses of then are something else, that you can never joke with.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by scholes0(m): 11:58pm On Oct 26, 2015
I would personally advise more developmental stories and less talk of medieval issues Pls.
Who needs Ilorin when we have much more.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:02am On Oct 27, 2015
I'm tired of this Ilorin issue.I feel we should just give it a rest honestly

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeHD: 12:03am On Oct 27, 2015
scholes0:

Honestly, Ekiti has a LOT to offer the SW.
It is a pity our politics in this country has no business with human development. Ekiti is small and very manageable with compact settlements spread around.

The beauty in that state alone is underrated, talk less of developmental potential.

It's a real pity. I don't trust Fayose to do anything about it. I doubt the other SW governors trust him enough to tell him about the SW agenda.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 12:07am On Oct 27, 2015
ProfShymex:

Well, that's why historians write books to educate those interested in scholarships about different things and that's why there's a forum like this one for interactions - in real time - with folks who live it.

Am I completely ignorant from a historical perspective and based on observation? - absolutely not. However, have I interacted with the overwhelming majority of folks from there to know where they stand? - no. So you can educate me further since you live it and you interact with the people.

Don't worry about my state - just know I'm Yoruba and from a collective/subgroup that is arguably the most loyal Yoruba group in Nigeria - apart from some madness due to kingship superiority. My folks have always been at the forefront of Yoruba struggle and I'd say we don't compromise when it comes to Yoruba interests.
Seriously? One thing I noticed is that most of u against ilorin are from ekiti /ondo but u need to visit ilorin before u can judge them and no one can stop anyone from claiming any tribe they want u can talk about South West development but when it comes to yoruba, it's beyond south west alone, u see why kabba people said they ain't yoruba? Don't treat people as if they are osu when in fact u know they are part of ur tribe.
Pls tell me how ilorin people betray yorubas

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by scholes0(m): 12:07am On Oct 27, 2015
IlekeHD:

The beauty in that state alone is underrated, talk less of developmental potential.

It's a real pity. I don't trust Fayose to do anything about it. I doubt the other SW governors trust him enough to tell him about the SW agenda.

grin grin grin grin grin
Lmfao!!! Even Mimiko isn't .... Awon werey.
We need ONE HOUSE in the SW to further our development plans, we can not have members in different political camps.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 12:08am On Oct 27, 2015
In my own opinion, those Ilorin peeps should be left alone.

We don't need people who do not share the same goal with us, let them decide for themselves(we all know they'd do anything to please their fulani masters). The other towns, apart from Ilorin, that want to join us are welcomed.

Marriage is not by force, our table is full already.

I read online that Owa Obokun of Ijeshaland had Wajad(wo aja).

Sun Re Ooo Dr Gabriel Aromolaran.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.