Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,937 members, 7,814,176 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg (39514 Views)

Fashola Inspects Wharf Road, Apapa, Other Selected Roads In Lagos / 99% Of Schools And Roads In Ogun Are Bad, worst state / One Of The Worst Roads In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by SkyBlue1: 9:28pm On Oct 25, 2015
Ballmer:
I have repeatedly stated this as well most especially when I see Nigerians talk down on South Africa.

If South Africa should stop developing today Nigeria with the rate n governs we have will not catch in a thousand year.

OP you claim you have been to Europe please name a country that is more beautiful than the places you visited in South Africa.

I bet to say there is none. South Africa is country where tarred roads are built to doors of each houses unlike Nigeria that is struggling to build n maintain highways.

I told someone dem no de park shit for SA, the drainage don't smell, you can't even see any. Sewage system is already in place.

OP if you are in doubt of any country in Europe being more beautiful visit Cape Town, water front especially to dispel such believes.

I have never been to the USA but no country in Europe is beta developed than SA
. They have function speed training running from Pretoria to Jo'burg, they have the normal rail.

The airport not so pretty but none can be compared to it in Nigeria in terms of efficiency. Nigerians make una listen n listen good South Africa n Nigeria no be mate n would never be not in this life except the White do us the favour they did to them.

50 billion Fashola and Akpabios join together can not turn Nigeria to South Africa if they are given a million year. We are talking about your ever beat performing governor.

If any Nigeria care to now every / any where in Capetown is as neat as any Nigeria sitting or living room and am talking about outdoors roads. You'd driving through out the length n breath of South country without a single pothole that is as big as the size of an iPad. I never saw one n believe that is the worse you can ever come across.

I have driven with friends from Pretoria to Durban no one pothole about 4 hrs drive, frim Brakenville to Cape Town not a single pith hole, from Jo'burg to Pretoria etc

In regards to the part in bold, with all due respect to you, you don't know what you're talking about. SA infrastructure is much better than Nigeria true, but not Europe, to even suggest that sounds ignorant. Take just rail as an example. . . . I don't want to get into this on this thread but do your research. And also explore out of Jo,Burg. It is such a silly statement to make.

1 Like

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by gbokukueba(m): 9:33pm On Oct 25, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:
Notice the yellow lanes for BRT buses only. Also take note of the wideness and cleanness of the roads

[b]I have been to 4 provinces in Joburg and the quality of roads is the same.

[/b]Now, I am yet to see a pothole on any road in the city and this is not an exaggeration but a fact

There are no provinces in Johannesburg because it is in Gauteng province. There are 7 Provinces in South Africa more like states in Nigeria so please correct your earlier statement
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by BOWOTO(m): 9:37pm On Oct 25, 2015
SkyBlue1:

In regards to the part in bold, with all due respect to you, you don't know what you're talking about. SA infrastructure is much better than Nigeria true, but not Europe, to even suggest that sounds ignorant. Take just rail as an example. . . . I don't want to get into this on this thread but do your research. And also explore out of Jo,Burg. It is such a silly statement to make.
You should use Google more.
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by SkyBlue1: 9:39pm On Oct 25, 2015
BOWOTO:
You should use Google more.
Yes, that explains everything.
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Nobody: 9:41pm On Oct 25, 2015
more pictures of nigeria [abj] for the dunce that just discovered paved roads today after leaving ajegunle straight to SA

3 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by shigoslim(m): 9:42pm On Oct 25, 2015
mumu @OP
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 25, 2015
gbokukueba:

There are no provinces in Johannesburg because it is in Gauteng province. There are 7 Provinces in South Africa more like states in Nigeria so please correct your earlier statement
that guy has not entered an airplane before

1 Like

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by OreMI22: 9:42pm On Oct 25, 2015
[size=15pt]
NewNigeriaMind:
In 2014, the Nigeria government made a dubious claim that Nigeria economy has overtaken that of South Africa.

Like I said then, I am of the opinion that the reason Nigeria government keep getting away with obvious lies is because most Nigerians are not well travelled.

For clerity I have been to major cities in EUROPE but it never bothered me this much that Nigeria is so backward because I believe they have a head start.

Well, I am currently in south Africa and in Johannesburg. This country is 100times ahead of Nigeria in all indices of development.

A comparism of where normal citizens live with the best places the richest Nigerians live in Lagos for instance shows a South African earning a stipend living in Joburg has a better life quality than his Nigerian counterpart with millions.

[/size]

I just had to re-quote you.
Your post is apt and truthful.
Nigerian government as usual are dishing out fake data in Africa.
Unfortunately, the joke is on nigeria
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by SkyBlue1: 9:45pm On Oct 25, 2015
iterator24:
more pictures of nigeria [abj] for the dunce that just discovered paved roads today after leaving ajegunle straight to SA

I see what you're trying to do but it really isn't necessary. South African cities have better infrastructure than Nigerian ones, there is no need even arguing it, it is just the fact, patriotism doesn't mean one has to be blind to the truth. And please, Nigerians need to stop defining infrastructure with pictures of people's big houses and the same roads seen over and over again, it is embarassing.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 25, 2015
SkyBlue1:

I see what you're trying to do but it really isn't necessary. South African cities have better infrastructure than Nigeria ones, there is no need even arguing it, it is just the fact, patriotism doesn't mean one has to be blind to the truth. And please, Nigerians need to stop defining infrastructure with picture of people's big houses and the same roads seen over and over again, it is embarassing.
guy, i currently reside in SA, and i admit it that they have far better infrastructure than nigeria and i've never claimed otherwise .. OP made it seem as if we don't have paved roads.. really?

2 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 25, 2015
OreMI22:
[size=15pt][/size]
I just had to re-quote you. Your post is apt and truthful. Nigerian government as usual are dishing out fake data in Africa. Unfortunately, the joke is on nigeria
so, IMF / WORLD BANK data is fake?

5 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by coolbreeze44: 9:49pm On Oct 25, 2015
Rossikk:

ANOTHER DUNCE. SHUT YOUR DIRTY MOUTH AND GO LEARN THE MEANING OF AN 'ECONOMY'.
Can't you make your point without insults. Your arguement is valid but you don't sound literate.

2 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by WIZGUY69(m): 9:49pm On Oct 25, 2015
Op.
there's a difference BTW biggest economy & most developed, they are not the same.
no doubt SA is the most advanced country in Africa, but according to records from our govt. we have the biggest economy.
in terms of infrastructures, Nigeria is really lagging behind. even most Asian countries are now leaving the status. look at small Seoul for example, very organised clean and beautiful city. I will keep saying it, we have only two city in Nigeria. (Lagos & abuja) the rest are larger towns & villages.

3 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Flyoruboy(m): 9:53pm On Oct 25, 2015
Symphony007:
shut your stinking lying mouth. That is a fact attested by the IMF, world bank and other agencies, did GEJ and iweala infiltrate those too?

Fvck the imperialist IMF and World Bank. We're talking about the same duo that wrecked the country's economy and oversaw the looting of billions of dollars worth of funds? You must be out of your mind.
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Rossikk(m): 9:56pm On Oct 25, 2015
OreMI22:

I just had to re-quote you.
Your post is apt and truthful.
Nigerian government as usual are dishing out fake data in Africa.
Unfortunately, the joke is on nigeria

[size=15pt]No no no, actually the joke is on YOU, as you're showcasing your ILLITERACY before the whole world. The GDP (know what that is?) rebasing, which led to the new GDP figures of $520 billion was arrived at after studies conducted by the National Office of Statistics working in conjunction with the World Bank, UN, ADB, IMF and other international agencies. It wasn't something cooked up by the Nigerian govt. You would know this if you weren't an IGNORAMUS. Also, the size of an economy is based on GDP calculations. GDP means the sum total of all economic activities taking place in a nation in a given year. This has nothing to do with infrastructure, beauty of cities, or smoothness of roads.

The problem with most Nigerians like you is that you know very little, yet think you know it all. Instead of badmouthing your country, GO AND STUDY and learn about basic economics like GDP, so you don't end up embarrassing yourselves online.[/size]

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Rossikk(m): 10:00pm On Oct 25, 2015
coolbreeze44:
Can't you make your point without insults. Your arguement is valid but you don't sound literate.

Why is it that whenever one of you ILLITERATES insults Nigeria or Nigerians, you expect to be treated with calm and respect? Was the op calm and respectful when he derided and insulted Nigeria in his original post? Why did you not tell him to take it easy? Only when we rebuff your ILLITERACY and stinking INFERIORITY COMPLEX you remember we should be ''calm'' and ''respectful'' to you. GET LOST. If you don't respect Nigeria, we don't respect you!

5 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by NewNigeriaMind: 10:09pm On Oct 25, 2015
tdayof:
use the internet well. Not just coming to spoil the country's name.

Pride based on no substance is what is holding Nigeria back as a country sad

The only state in Nigeria with a functional BRT is Lagos and when compared with the only country that share similar characteristics I am ashamed of what we called a BRT system. I feel if our administrators can take a lesson from this Africa country we may actually make progress.

Like I said, I am not going to use the UK or Canada cause I believe they have hundreds of years ahead of a US. My reason for coming to this country is partly to see what standard other Africa country operate, leave out what I do for a living.

We you and I will only stop the stupid pride in us and see that Nigeria needs a lot of serious minded Administrator to do the right thing we might just be able to return the pride of the black man

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by BOWOTO(m): 10:09pm On Oct 25, 2015
SkyBlue1:

Yes, that explains everything.
You gotta give it to South Africa , they have done well.
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Abagworo(m): 10:11pm On Oct 25, 2015
BOWOTO:
Nigeria cannot be compared to South africa in development, I live in Capetown and I sometime forget I am in Africa, everything is so organized and in order, I feel really bad for my country , it'll take a lot to meet up.

Cape Town is too organised to be credited to black Africans. I often wonder if Cape Town is even in Sub Saharan Africa.

3 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by SkyBlue1: 10:12pm On Oct 25, 2015
BOWOTO:

Not disagreeing, but saying their infrastructural development is on par with Europe is silly. Even America is not up to Europe when it comes to certain infrastructure (public trasnport being one).
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Abagworo(m): 10:14pm On Oct 25, 2015
Rossikk:

[size=15pt]No no no, actually the joke is on YOU, as you're showcasing your ILLITERACY before the whole world. The GDP (know what that is?) rebasing, which led to the new GDP figures of $520 billion was arrived at after studies conducted by the National Office of Statistics working in conjunction with the World Bank, UN, ADB, IMF and other international agencies. It wasn't something cooked up by the Nigerian govt. You would know this if you weren't an IGNORAMUS. Also, the size of an economy is based on GDP calculations. GDP means the sum total of all economic activities taking place in a nation in a given year. This has nothing to do with infrastructure, beauty of cities, or smoothness of roads.

The problem with most Nigerians like you is that you know very little, yet think you know it all. Instead of badmouthing your country, GO AND STUDY and learn about basic economics like GDP, so you don't end up embarrassing yourselves online.[/size]

Does GDP correlate with standard of living and infrastructural development? I pray the rebasing wasn't fraudulent but our quality of living is one of the lowest in the world.

1 Like

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by NewNigeriaMind: 10:16pm On Oct 25, 2015
iterator24:
e be like say you just travel out for the first time in your life eh? look, nigeria may not match SA in terms of infractructure but it's the best country in the world and i'm coming back home next year.. i'm in SA btw.. don't let pavement fool you, naija sef no bad abeg [without oyinbo o]!

I am a Nigeria myself and I pride myself on that fact, in fact I don't waste time to tell these people here I am a Nigerian.

Let me put it this way, the infrastructure gap between us and SA is too wide. The only good roads are tolled in Nigeria while Joburg had just the same roads in better shape all over the city. Imagine a Lagos where all the roads are on the standard of the ikoyi lekki link bridge road, when I say all Lagos I mean from Iyana Iba to Okota to oshodi to Ajegunle to Badagry to Ikorodu. I have not seen a pothole in this city and I wonder if the administrators of the country are aliens in Africa. For Africa standard this country is way ahead.

4 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Nobody: 10:19pm On Oct 25, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:

Pride based on no substance is what is holding Nigeria back as a country sad

The only state in Nigeria with a functional BRT is Lagos and when compared with the only country that share similar characteristics I am ashamed of what we called a BRT system. I feel if our administrators can take a lesson from this Africa country we may actually make progress.

Like I said, I am not going to use the UK or Canada cause I believe they have hundreds of years ahead of a US. My reason for coming to this country is partly to see what standard other Africa country operate, leave out what I do for a living.

We you and I will only stop the stupid pride in us and see that Nigeria needs a lot of serious minded Administrator to do the right thing we might just be able to return the pride of the black man

Nigeria like many african countries were exploited and left with little or nothing to write about, not even infrastructure / technology transfer.. while SA was built as a base for themselves [whites] because of the mineral riches and they never had blacks [SA] in mind when they were doing this..in fact, if not for the world, they would have exterminated them...
whatever you see, or whatever they've built since 94 is majorly maintaince and improvement of standards set by the boers..

.. of course, this is not an excuse for us as at 2015, however in my opinion, we've done well than many african countries! appreciate that!
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Rossikk(m): 10:19pm On Oct 25, 2015
BOWOTO:

The only reason South Africa are more advanced than any country in Africa is that the colonialists who seized the country in the 19th century RE-INVESTED the proceeds from their export trade BACK into the country. This they did because they saw themselves as permanent settlers there. In other colonies like Nigeria, Congo, Ghana, Sierra Leone etc, the colonialists simply evacuated resources and SIPHONED the proceeds to their home countries to enrich their own nations. Thus by the 1940s South Africa was already a developed country with top notch infrastructure, countless universities, a manufacturing industry, and a large middle class. Nigeria as late as 1960 had not one single expressway, not one university, not one power plant, and not one major hospital. Same applied to the other colonies.

Therefore South Africa had a HEAD-START of over 100 yrs plus, over other African nations. That is the ONLY REASON we are playing catch-up with them today.

5 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by agabaI23(m): 10:20pm On Oct 25, 2015
oduastates:

Victoria island and ikoyi were destroyed in the 70's.Look closely and what you spot the keys, ipanja and the mushin in the island. Same open gutters, lack of walkways, bus stops, same containers and Pako shacks ,
But if the money stolen by Tinubu and co were plowed into the roads, it would be better.

Let me give you a tip...Do you know how many keke's there are in Lagos who pay 300 naira or more daily? Do you know how many buses that pay about 1k daily?

So when a certain ex governor takes tuesday collection and an incubent gets thursday, the rest shared for some other stakeholders... maybe just a few days left for government purse out of which contracts like N78 million for a personal website is awarded. You can imagine how much Nigeria is bleeding. Not just Lagos state.

5 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by NewNigeriaMind: 10:22pm On Oct 25, 2015
SkyBlue1:
I don't doubt that Nigeria has a bigger economy than South Africa, and the economy is highly hindered from growing even faster due to poor infrastructure. Economy isn't just about infrastructure (even though this helps immensely), but population also plays a role. Nigeria has the population (market) and the natural and human resources going for it. Is there room for improvement, yes. And just for clarification, Nigeria didn't just overtake SA economy a couple of years ago, it was bigger before then but not fully evaluated, do you know how big the country's informal economy is?

I studied finance in school and I am a consultant right now working as a financial consultant to a bank.

The catch in every economic theory is how you measure policy performance vis-à-vis impact on the people living standard.

What we should be celebrating is not Nigeria having a bigger economy on paper in which the bulk of the wealth is stored away in politicians offshore accounts, rather how has the big economy lead to improvement in the life of an AVERAGE NIGERIAN.

This country may not have the biggest economy but the wealth of the country can actually been seen as an improvement in the people living condition.

1 Like

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Nobody: 10:22pm On Oct 25, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:

I am a Nigeria myself and I pride myself on that fact, in fact I don't waste time to tell these people here I am a Nigerian.

Let me put it this way, the infrastructure gap between us and SA is too wide. The only good roads are tolled in Nigeria while Joburg had just the same roads in better shape all over the city. Imagine a Lagos where all the roads are on the standard of the ikoyi lekki link bridge road, when I say all Lagos I mean from Iyana Iba to Okota to oshodi to Ajegunle to Badagry to Ikorodu. I have not seen a pothole in this city and I wonder if the administrators of the country are aliens in Africa. For Africa standard this country is way ahead.
ogbeni this is joburg pre-94

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by BOWOTO(m): 10:24pm On Oct 25, 2015
Rossikk:

The only reason South Africa are more advanced than any country in Africa is that the colonialists who seized the country in the 19th century RE-INVESTED the proceeds from their export trade BACK into the country. This they did because they saw themselves as permanent settlers there. In other colonies like Nigeria, Congo, Ghana, Sierra Leone etc, the colonialists simply evacuated resources and SIPHONED the proceeds to their home countries to enrich their own nations. Thus by the 1940s South Africa was already a developed country with top notch infrastructure, countless universities, a manufacturing industry, and a large middle class. Nigeria as late as 1960 had not one single expressway, not one university, and not one major hospital. Same applied to the other colonies.

Therefore South Africa had a HEAD-START of over 100 yrs plus, over other African nations. THAT IS THE ONLY REASON WE ARE PLAYING CATCH-UP TODAY.
How long has it been now? 55 years? and the colonialists are still responsible for our bad roads? bad transportation system? etc... bro I get you're being patriotic, but 100years from now, we would still be behind South africa with the way we are going.

6 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Ballmer: 10:24pm On Oct 25, 2015
SkyBlue1:

Am not here to argue what province of South Africa does the rail network not cover ? There's none. If the UK have speed train, how many states is connected to the system. The entire Gauteng province from Preroria to Jo'burg is linked with speed train as its only linked to cities that are profitable with such. I can tell you there's no speed train in Berkshire a city just outside London.

I put it to you that every city in SA as beta road network compare to London when you consider traffic n population control.

It's impossible for the UK to claim it as a beta town planing structure or housing in comparison with South Africa.

Health Aviation Education in fact I can't think of anything UK is beta than South Africa. Do you know SA as its own aircraft manufacturing industry.

I put it to you in particular that there's no single place in UK that is beta developed than Capetown. I would have added USA but av not been there before.

UK is no more developed or beta developed than the SA chikena.

2 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by SkyBlue1: 10:27pm On Oct 25, 2015
Rossikk:

The only reason South Africa are more advanced than any country in Africa is that the colonialists who seized the country in the 19th century RE-INVESTED the proceeds from their export trade BACK into the country. This they did because they saw themselves as permanent settlers there. In other colonies like Nigeria, Congo, Ghana, Sierra Leone etc, the colonialists simply evacuated resources and SIPHONED the proceeds to their home countries to enrich their own nations. Thus by the 1940s South Africa was already a developed country with top notch infrastructure, countless universities, a manufacturing industry, and a large middle class. Nigeria as late as 1960 had not one single expressway, not one university, and not one major hospital. Same applied to the other colonies.

Therefore South Africa had a HEAD-START of over 100 yrs plus, over other African nations. THAT IS THE ONLY REASON WE ARE PLAYING CATCH-UP TODAY.

I would say we are playing catch up mainly because of bad leadership and poor governance. Colonialism is not to be blamed for everything. In a global sense Nigeria was not the only country that gained independence around that time and left with little to no infrastructure. What is our excuse against the east asian countries? Nigeria was not as heavily affected by the first and second world wars. Other countries had their cities destroyed and rebuilt them, so no I don't always buy into or agree with the "we are not as developed today because of colonialism" no matter how significant a role it has played in the history of the country.

4 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Nobody: 10:27pm On Oct 25, 2015
BOWOTO:
How long has it been now? 55 years? and the colonialists are still responsible for our bad roads? bad transportation system? etc... bro I get you're being patriotic, but 100years from now, we would still be behind South africa with the way we are going.
why are you talking like you have palm oil in your brain? do you know what nigeria was like 100 years ago? i bet if the afrikaaners left SA like naija, you no go complain now.. SA could have been another congo
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Rossikk(m): 10:27pm On Oct 25, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:

I studied finance in school and I am a consultant right now working as a financial consultant to a bank.

The catch in every economic theory is how you measure policy performance vis-à-vis impact on the people living standard.

What we should be celebrating is not Nigeria having a bigger economy on paper in which the bulk of the wealth is stored away in politicians offshore accounts, rather how has the big economy lead to improvement in the life of an AVERAGE NIGERIAN.

This country may not have the biggest economy but the wealth of the country can actually been seen as an improvement in the people living condition.

[size=15pt]Can somebody please shut this illiterate up? You are a ''financial consultant'' yet you measure the size of an economy by looking at the BRT system in Johannesburg? You talk of GDP wealth ''stored away in politicians' offshore accounts''? Which shows you DON'T know the meaning of GDP. Kindly shut your trap and return to secondary school where you belong. Mr 'financial consultant to bank'.[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Wins Kogi PDP Senatorial Primary / Video: Wike And Sanwoolu Dance To " As E Dey Pain Them" Song In Lagos / Buhari To Unveil $70m Oshodi Transport Interchange

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.