Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,941 members, 7,814,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg (39515 Views)

Fashola Inspects Wharf Road, Apapa, Other Selected Roads In Lagos / 99% Of Schools And Roads In Ogun Are Bad, worst state / One Of The Worst Roads In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Rossikk(m): 10:56pm On Oct 25, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:

Sorry you have the biggest GDP in Africa..up Nigeria grin

DUMB AND DUMBER. We don't need your praise. Just go and educate yourself on what an economy means and stop embarrassing us..

1 Like

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Nobody: 10:57pm On Oct 25, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:

Yes I don't, if you have another opinion state it and stop insulting people because they think their country need to get it right.

The part I don't understand is, WHAT ARE YOU SAD ABOUT?
why would i be sad? i'm doing great dude!
for one, i didn't carry megaphone when i got here 2years ago to start highlighting the short comings of my country for the world to hear... this country has a history, so does mine.. we're trying and we can do better.. Nigeria still rocks! and [we have paved roads too lol] .. perhaps, you'll see your country in a better light from outside since you finally boarded a plane

1 Like

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by macklef(m): 10:57pm On Oct 25, 2015
If not for the slave trade thingy which has obviously been eradicated.

I ask myself, why did Nigeria gain independence at all? The britains shoulda ruled us til now
If at all we would gain indelendence october 1st 2025 will be better by den we woulda had a functioning country to admire

1 Like

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by NewNigeriaMind: 10:58pm On Oct 25, 2015
SkyBlue1:

Guy. Stop. You are back tracking now and taking different tangents. Your original post clearly implied that evidence of Nigeria having a bigger economy than SA were fraudulent and false. You have been corrected, let us move on. If you want to have a different discussion on quality of life and GDP per capita, then that is a different issue. But just for the record, Nigeria has a bigger economy than SA.

Yes we do,

But please understand, the purpose of this thread is to actually focus on infrastructure and living standard.

1 Like

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by NewNigeriaMind: 10:59pm On Oct 25, 2015
iterator24:
why would i be sad? i'm doing great dude!
for one, i didn't carry megaphone when i got here 2years ago to start highlighting the short comings of my country for the world to hear... this country has a history, so does mine.. we're trying and we can do better.. Nigeria still rocks! and [we have pave roads too lol]

Why is this personal to you?

And where are you in south Africa. I am yet to meet any Nigerian here. I got four weeks left
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by NewNigeriaMind: 11:00pm On Oct 25, 2015
Rossikk:

[size=15pt]DUMB AND DUMBER. We don't need your praise. Just go and educate yourself on what an economy means and stop embarrassing us.[/size].

Sorry you feel embarrassed grin

2 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by SkyBlue1: 11:01pm On Oct 25, 2015
Rossikk:

It's not a question of whether you agree or not. FACT is that South Africa started getting developed as early as the 1850s by the colonialists. Nigeria only began to see real development from 1960 onwards. After independence. THAT'S A FACT. There is no debate about it. Our first power station was Kainji Dam commissioned in 1968. South Africa's first power stations? Do a Google and all you'll see is dates starting from the 1880s.

As for the Asian Tigers. The ONLY reason we have those 4 Asian Tiger economies is that after WW2 the victorious allied nations decided to create a buffer in Asia against rampaging communism led by the victorious Soviet Union. This they did by creating 4 capitalist bulwarks which they funded, invested in heavily, and opened their markets to, in an unprecedented drive to enthrone capitalism.

The artificiality of the situation is easily shown by comparing the 4 tigers to their neighbours. South Korea is a different world from neighbouring Nepal, a third world hellhole. Singapore might as well be on a different planet from neighbouring Burma, a third world hellhole. Hong Kong is a world away from neighbouring Cambodia, a third world hellhole. Taiwan is a different planet from Laos, Vietnam etc. These SE Asian nations are racially, ethnically, and culturally identical, yet their living standards vary wildly. That shows you there is externally influenced artificiality in the economic advancement of the 4 Tiger nations vis a vis the rest.

And what about countries like Indonesia or Brazil?

Wasn't disputing the fact of early development in SA compared with Nigeria, simply stating that I don't think it is credible anymore to keep using that as an excuse for the level of underdevelopment Nigeria currently is in. And I stand by it.

PS - You don't need big letters to make a point.

5 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Rossikk(m): 11:01pm On Oct 25, 2015
macklef:
If not for the slave trade thingy which has obviously been eradicated.

I ask myself, why did Nigeria gain independence at all? The britains shoulda ruled us til now
If at all we would gain indelendence october 1st 2025 will be better by den we woulda had a functioning country to admire

Britain ruled Nigeria from 1897 to 1960 and in that period (63 years) buiit NOT ONE UNIVERSITY, NOT ONE POWER PLANT, NOT ONE DUAL CARRIAGEWAY, NOT ONE MAJOR AIRPORT, NOT ONE MAJOR HOSPITAL, NOT ONE MANUFACTURING INDUSTRY. TODAY, AFTER 50 odd years of independence, we count those things in hundreds, courtesy of black rule. LESSON: LEARN TO APPRECIATE THE 'LITTLE' WE HAVE ACCOMPLISHED AND STOP THINKING LIKE A DUMB SLAVE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Nobody: 11:02pm On Oct 25, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:

And where are you in south Africa. I am yet to meet any Nigerian here. I got four weeks left
what business have you with where i reside here? just be careful with your life in joburg.. my 2 cents

1 Like

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Ballmer: 11:04pm On Oct 25, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:

Yeah there are other observations but the reason for my thread is for the need for infrastructural development in Nigeria, lets catch up with SA in this.

One reason I argue with some of my colleagues we both APC supporters is that as successful as Fashola is as a governor in Nigeria he would forever remains a colossal failure.

I can argue about this because I live in Lagos I wouldn't want to involve PDP.

Imagine a governor with the income of Lagos who does not have a single highway to show for his 8 years of stewardship. He built a few km bridge and towed it, built an uncompleted LekkiAjah road and towed it and am left to ask what exactly did Fashola do in Lagos.

Is clearing traffic in Oshodi or planting flowers the achievement Lagos desire ? Yet this is arguably the best we have.

I wonder why some many Nigerians can not see how hopeless this country is if this is the best rate of development our leaders can offer.

5 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Nobody: 11:05pm On Oct 25, 2015
Rossikk:

[size=15pt]Britain ruled Nigeria from 1897 to 1960 and in that period (63 years) buiit NOT ONE UNIVERSITY, NOT ONE POWER PLANT, NOT ONE DUAL CARRIAGEWAY, NOT ONE MAJOR AIRPORT, NOT ONE MAJOR HOSPITAL, NOT ONE MANUFACTURING INDUSTRY. TODAY, AFTER 50 odd years of independence, we count those things in hundreds, courtesy of black rule. LESSON: LEARN TO APPRECIATE THE 'LITTLE' WE HAVE ACCOMPLISHED AND STOP THINKING LIKE A DUMB SLAVE.[/size]
nigerians wanted highspeed trains [maglev], and condemned all existing ones lol
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by NewNigeriaMind: 11:07pm On Oct 25, 2015
For clerity, I was wrong to say the size of our economy is not what it is.

But my issue is with the fact that the biggest economy in Africa lack basic infrastructure.

I have never really bothered to look at Nigeria from the Africa eye, but now it seem we are not just there angry

I apologies to the Nigerians that feel insulted by the thread.

I will not post the pictures form the other places I intend to visit going forward.

I am a Nigeria and I am a proud one for that matter cheesy

I am going to be in the major cities in the next couple of weeks, if you are girl/lady you can send me a message.

FYI made up my mind to visit Kenya next,

1 Like

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by NewNigeriaMind: 11:08pm On Oct 25, 2015
iterator24:
what business have you with where i reside here? just be careful with your life in joburg.. my 2 cents

I have my armed guard........ cheesy plus you don't trust your country man again.

one love
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by BOWOTO(m): 11:09pm On Oct 25, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:

My brother just enjoy your stay and avoid people like this, they'll only bring you down with their frustration, enjoy the city, visit capetown if you can.
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by NewNigeriaMind: 11:11pm On Oct 25, 2015
I think pictures of SA girls and their big asses will be better thread. This days, Nigerians are really angry grin

1 Like

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Nobody: 11:12pm On Oct 25, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:
For clerity, I was wrong to say the size of our economy is not what it is.

But my issue is with the fact that the biggest economy in Africa lack basic infrastructure.

I have never really bothered to look at Nigeria from the Africa eye, but now it seem we are not just there angry

I apologies to the Nigerians that feel insulted by the thread.

I will not post the pictures form the other places I intend to visit going forward.

I am a Nigeria and I am a proud one for that matter cheesy

I am going to be in the major cities in the next couple of weeks, if you are naija boy you can send me a message.

if you're ready to sort my rent, no yawa
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Rossikk(m): 11:12pm On Oct 25, 2015
SkyBlue1:

And what about countries like Indonesia or Brazil?

Wasn't disputing the fact of early development in SA compared with Nigeria, simply stating that I don't think it is credible anymore to keep using that as an excuse for the level of underdevelopment Nigeria currently is in. And I stand by it.

What is so special about Indonesia? They are where Nigeria will be in the next 7-10 years or so. ''Indonesia's estimated gross domestic product (nominal), as of 2014, was US$887 billion. Nominal per capita GDP was US$3,518''. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesia

Nigeria's figures in comparison are $520 billion and $2,750 respectively.

Dude there is mass poverty in Indonesia. Brazil same thing. Those nations just gained independence a couple of decades earlier than Nigeria, so have had more time to build their countries. Plus they had more investment in them during their colonial era, unlike Nigeria where everything was at zero level till independence.

You MUST look ''under the hood'' of EVERY country, to know its history before BLINDLY comparing them to Nigeria. Anything else makes you IGNORANT.

2 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by NewNigeriaMind: 11:15pm On Oct 25, 2015
iterator24:

if you're ready to sort my rent, no yawa

Basic hotels is about 950 ZAR, when I move to other cities and I get to your city let me know.

good night bro
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Foxflames: 11:17pm On Oct 25, 2015
we haven't solved power problem for over 55years. how difficult is it? if it were europeans thay were in Africa, that's more than enough time to solve the isue of power cuts. they will probably generate more and sell to other countries.

4 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Ballmer: 11:19pm On Oct 25, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:

Kenya is amazing if you intend to visit the wildlife, the night life in Nairobi is fantastic as well but it's just a mini Lagos n similar in terms of infrastructure.

You won't be amazed as you were as you were about South Africa. Enjoy your trip.
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Rossikk(m): 11:21pm On Oct 25, 2015
Foxflames:
we haven't solved power problem for over 55years. how difficult is it? if it were europeans thay were in Africa, that's more than enough time to solve the isue of power cuts. they will probably generate more and sell to other countries.

But Europeans ruled Nigeria from 1897 to 1960, yet we didn't get our first power station till 1968 after blacks took over. We didn't actually have a national grid till after blacks seized power in 1960.

Could you explain that?

Thought not. OLODO.

1 Like

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by meccuno: 11:22pm On Oct 25, 2015
wheredemdey:
Its a no brainer

The black man is cursed....when God said He created man in His image...He was referring to the white man......before some mis-informed dolts come and remind their father that SA is an African country....yeah but all the good things were done by the whites...

Its only someone that has not travelled out if this hellhole Nigeria nay Africa that will counter me......black people all over the world are unruly..corrupt...lazy and bereft of any good developmental strides......check out blacks in Cuba...brazil...america...Africa...mexico...the black man is the same....lazy dolts that abandoned their religion..culture...sold their children into slavery...

While you blame Gej...also blame tinubu..fashola and the big head ambode for allowing Lagos to rot considering the IGR and all the monies that come to Lagos on a yearly basis...the city is in shambles....iru and eti-osa lga that generate the bulk of the IGR I left to rot....

Speak no more...the Blackman is a problem to everybody inclusion himself

classic
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by meccuno: 11:26pm On Oct 25, 2015
Ballmer:
I have repeatedly stated this as well most especially when I see Nigerians talk down on South Africa.

If South Africa should stop developing today Nigeria with the rate n governs we have will not catch in a thousand year.

OP you claim you have been to Europe please name a country that is more beautiful than the places you visited in South Africa.

I bet to say there is none. South Africa is country where tarred roads are built to doors of each houses unlike Nigeria that is struggling to build n maintain highways.

I told someone dem no de park shit for SA, the drainage don't smell, you can't even see any. Sewage system is already in place.

OP if you are in doubt of any country in Europe being more beautiful visit Cape Town, water front especially to dispel such believes.

I have never been to the USA but no country in Europe is beta developed than SA. They have functional speed training running from Pretoria to Jo'burg, they have the normal rail.

The airport not so pretty but none can not be compared to those in Nigeria in terms of efficiency. Nigerians make una listen n listen good South Africa n Nigeria no be mate n would never be not in this life except the White do us the favour they did to them.

50 billion Fashola and Akpabios join together can not turn Nigeria to South Africa if they are given a million year. We are talking about your best ever performing governors from APC n PDP.

If any Nigeria care to now every / any where in Capetown is as neat as any Nigeria sitting or living room and am talking about outdoors roads. You'd drive through out the length n breath of South Africa without a single pothole that is as big as the size of an iPad. I never saw one n believe that is the worse you can ever come across.

I have driven with friends from Pretoria to Durban no single pothole about 4 hrs drive, frim Brakenville to Cape Town not a single pothole, from Jo'burg to Pretoria etc
guy calm down na.........the embarrassment is getting too much.......I saw a documentary of SA in the 1920s and they where already a developing Nation, while Nigerians where still swinging on trees......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Rossikk(m): 11:26pm On Oct 25, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:
For clarity, I was wrong to say the size of our economy is not what it is.

Thank You. You should have said this earlier and saved us all the headache!!!!! undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by NewNigeriaMind: 11:26pm On Oct 25, 2015
So a nairalander sent me a message to post more pics.

I will.

Why I love my country.

So before we continue, guys tomorrow.
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Rossikk(m): 11:27pm On Oct 25, 2015
meccuno:
guy calm down na.........the embarrassment is getting too much.......I saw a documentary of SA in the 1920s and they where already a developing Nation, while Nigerians where still swinging on trees......

Your mother was swinging on trees. Worthless animal.

1 Like

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by NewNigeriaMind: 11:30pm On Oct 25, 2015
Rossikk:

Thank You. You should have said this earlier and saved us all the headache!!!!! undecided undecided

Bro I really have moved from funny shenanigans.

I am to rich for that and too broke to be an Internet warrior insulting people about.

Money must be made.

My point has been made, we have the big gdp and remained backwards. That's the anomaly called Nigeria.

But I believe we will get it right, the truth will set us free soon.

2 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by SkyBlue1: 11:30pm On Oct 25, 2015
Rossikk:

What is so special about Indonesia? They are where Nigeria will be in the next 7-10 years or so. ''Indonesia's estimated gross domestic product (nominal), as of 2014, was US$887 billion. Nominal per capita GDP was US$3,518''. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesia

Nigeria's figures in comparison are $520 billion and $2,750 respectively.

Dude there is mass poverty in Indonesia. Brazil same thing. Those nations just gained independence a couple of decades earlier than Nigeria, so have had more time to build their countries. Plus they had more investment in them during their colonial era, unlike Nigeria where everything was at zero level till independence.

You MUST look ''under the hood'' of EVERY country, to know its history before BLINDLY comparing them to Nigeria. Anything else makes you IGNORANT.

There is massive poverty in China as well so that statement serves little purpose. Yes some of these countries gained independence before Nigeria, but not all the countries mentioned are one of the world's largest exporters of oil, so no I still don't buy the whole 'it is all because of colonialism' idealogy. Investment and infrastructure is not static and can be built on or started from scratch, many countries have shown this.

3 Likes

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by NewNigeriaMind: 11:31pm On Oct 25, 2015
meccuno:

That's not nice.
Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Rossikk(m): 11:36pm On Oct 25, 2015
NewNigeriaMind:

Bro I really have moved from funny shenanigans.

I am to rich for that and too broke to be an Internet warrior insulting people about.

Money must be made.

My point has been made, we have the big gdp and remained backwards. That's the anomaly called Nigeria.

But I believe we will get it right, the truth will set us free soon.

Dude, there is nothing shameful about being a developing country. Nigeria is more developed today than it was in 1995, and will be more developed in 2025 than it is today. It is all a question of TIME. No need to feel inferior, or be bandying around worlds like ''backward''. If you think we are 'backward' go to Eritrea, Afghanistan, Niger Republic, Burma or the Congo and see what real 'backwardness' is. Or go to Nigeria of the 1960s, when the idea of a middle class person was someone who owned a bicycle, or had a zinc roof. Fact is we are moving forward. Not at the lightning speed you expect, but forward all the same. Rome was not built in a day.

1 Like

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by Rossikk(m): 11:45pm On Oct 25, 2015
SkyBlue1:

There is massive poverty in China as well so that statement serves little purpose. Yes some of these countries gained independence before Nigeria, but not all the countries mentioned are one of the world's largest exporters of oil, so no I still don't buy the whole 'it is all because of colonialism' idealogy. Investment and infrastructure is not static and can be built on or started from scratch, many countries have shown this.

Oil only counts for anything if you have a tiny population like UAE or Kuwait. Else it really means nothing. 170 million people in Nigeria export less oil and have less oil reserves than UAE with a population of 9 million. That is why UAE can have a 'Dubai', and everyone there can ride a mercedes. What Nigeria needs to do (and IS doing) is diversify her income sources, as the oil receipts, even without corruption, are negligible when we consider our huge population. And, sorry, you MUST mention colonialism or you're being ignorant. Every nation has a history, which influences its current state. If colonialism is part of that history, it has to be discussed, or you're being ignorant.

1 Like

Re: See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg by SkyBlue1: 11:53pm On Oct 25, 2015
Rossikk:

Oil only counts for anything if you have a tiny population like UAE or Kuwait. Else it really means nothing. 170 million people in Nigeria export less oil and have less oil reserves than UAE with a population of 9 million. That is why UAE can have a 'Dubai', and everyone there can ride a mercedes. What Nigeria needs to do (and IS doing) is diversify her income sources, as the oil receipts, even without corruption, are negligible when we consider our huge population.

But oil does make a difference. Not as much as in countries with small populations true, but still consider that majority of government spending is from oil money and you understand the point being made, heck you're even making my point for me by going on about diversificastion. Nigeria has not taken advantages of the the opportunities it has had in the past, a lot of wasted opportunities has meant the country is nowhere as developed as it could have been under better leadership and governance, so how does that tally up with your posturing that implies colonialism is the only reason the country is not as developed?

You also need to stop confusing people's understandable disappointments at the nation's progress and the way they might express that disappointment with inferiority complex. It is patronising.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Buhari To Unveil $70m Oshodi Transport Interchange / Yahaya Bello Explains Why Fani-Kayode Did Not Join APC / You Acted Like An Errand Boy: Court Dismisses Keyamo's SPV Suit Against Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.