Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians (41601 Views)

Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. / The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians / 8 words of advice for the Unmarried Single Mothers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by mmsen: 4:04pm On Nov 07, 2015
smilegal84yaho:
why ladies should be a little desperate for marriage is cos of child birth.A guy can get married at any time, give birth to the no of children he wishes to but not so in a lady's case.
Menopause has pushed a lot of women into desperation.
May Almighty God helps and saves us from late marriages embarassedwhy ladies should be a little desperate for marriage is cos of child birth.A guy can get married at any time, give birth to the no of children he wishes to but not so in a lady's case.
Menopause has pushed a lot of women into desperation.
May Almighty God helps and saves us from late marriages

Why is it so important that these ladies have children?

Is Nigeria running low on people?

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Amazingg: 5:58pm On Nov 07, 2015
Oppy4God:
loneliness is bad in fact getting tired of it,but i have other plans i want to execute b4 dis year run out. people are not getting it.i don't want b a burden to any1.i wanna pick d best of d best,with God help.i have blocked my ear oo.with dis small stature wey i get some people still wan kill me over marriage.

You can say that again. Being a liability before marriage is a big NO!
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by omoarole: 1:11am On Nov 08, 2015
lestat:

That's an obvious lie, it's best known to you why you chose to lie to yourself but what's even worse is the fact u are actually believing the lie you have told yourself

And you display such arrogance. You should listen to yourself. When you make such silly comments here, it makes one wonder what planet you come from. Where you tell somebody you've never met before that they are lieing about what they know about themselves. I can as well say you're lieing to your self that you're not insane. Yeah...it's the same calibre of statement. How do you know you're sane? I want to tell you that you're lieing to yourself if you think you're sane.
Do you understand the gravity of such statements?
Pls, if you don't understand something, either request for adequate explanation, or keep quiet about it. Your knowledge about a particular persons life, especially one you don't know can never be complete enough to make such atrocious statements.
Are you his creator? Are you there with him in the middle of the night when he's alone? Are you there in his mind or with him in the closet?
Just limit yourself to your limitations.....tthey are present to keep you in check so that you do not make evil assumptions where there are none....
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 6:40am On Nov 08, 2015
omoarole:

And you display such arrogance. You should listen to yourself. When you make such silly comments here, it makes one wonder what planet you come from. Where you tell somebody you've never met before that they are lieing about what they know about themselves. I can as well say you're lieing to your self that you're not insane. Yeah...it's the same calibre of statement. How do you know you're sane? I want to tell you that you're lieing to yourself if you think you're sane.
Do you understand the gravity of such statements?
Pls, if you don't understand something, either request for adequate explanation, or keep quiet about it. Your knowledge about a particular persons life, especially one you don't know can never be complete enough to make such atrocious statements.
Are you his creator? Are you there with him in the middle of the night when he's alone? Are you there in his mind or with him in the closet?
Just limit yourself to your limitations.....tthey are present to keep you in check so that you do not make evil assumptions where there are none....

I shall ignore the obvious personal jibes, and I state my case again, you are a liar to declaer u are happy alone without any underlying external factors for example are u a single parent who escaped from a physically and mentally abusive spouse? If yes then on such grounds can u declare that u are happy to be alone..having said that your vehement response shows that my statement hit close to home?
Meaning u are some sucker for love who got repeatedly used, while I do sympathize with u, you need to grow up and accept full responsibility on your part being that u where too immature to see the signs that your ex was wrong for u, instead u choose to see what u wanted to see and not what u needed to see, hence u got burned!!!
Now u are here trying to hold up the flag of being a self imposed lone ranger? Bah!!!
That's gibberish!!! U are a self delusional individual!
Not u, not anyone!! No one wants to be alone!!! But sometimes life makes them alone, because they are immensely flawed individuals who live in a false sense of grandiose instead of coming to terms with their flaws they delude themselves into thinking the fault is from everyone else but themselves.

Nut job!!!
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by emzila(m): 7:02am On Nov 08, 2015
omoarole:

I think I am getting tired of this kind of bullshit. Where did you get your statistics from? Did you carry out a Population survey of single people in Nigeria to determine your outcome? And what is the social validity of your statistic in the life of the individual single Nigerian?
Please, you can put forward your opinion, but do it in such a way that you will be listened to, and maybe reasoned along with. Your marital status is not the basic indication of your happiness, your quality of life is. Single or married, if you have a poor quality of life, you cannot be OK.

Your questions expose your ignorance, if you understand statistics rather than just knowing it, you would have known that I don't need to go round Nigeria to substantiate my statement.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by omoarole: 12:24pm On Nov 08, 2015
emzila:

Your questions expose your ignorance, if you understand statistics rather than just knowing it, you would have known that I don't need to go round Nigeria to substantiate my statement.

And to think that you're full if understanding of statistics to allow selection bias, information bias and confounding bias to influence your outcome... as hilarious and stupid as you sound, I begin to realise the cocoon of a world that you live in. You don't need to go round Nigeria to substantiate your statement, you just need to live in your little goldfish bowl where all the singles or married you know are unhappy.
If you don't realise what you said is complete bollocks, you don't even deserve attention, talk less of a response...

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by omoarole: 12:27pm On Nov 08, 2015
lestat:

I shall ignore the obvious personal jibes, and I state my case again, you are a liar to declaer u are happy alone without any underlying external factors for example are u a single parent who escaped from a physically and mentally abusive spouse? If yes then on such grounds can u declare that u are happy to be alone..having said that your vehement response shows that my statement hit close to home?
Meaning u are some sucker for love who got repeatedly used, while I do sympathize with u, you need to grow up and accept full responsibility on your part being that u where too immature to see the signs that your ex was wrong for u, instead u choose to see what u wanted to see and not what u needed to see, hence u got burned!!!
Now u are here trying to hold up the flag of being a self imposed lone ranger? Bah!!!
That's gibberish!!! U are a self delusional individual!
Not u, not anyone!! No one wants to be alone!!! But sometimes life makes them alone, because they are immensely flawed individuals who live in a false sense of grandiose instead of coming to terms with their flaws they delude themselves into thinking the fault is from everyone else but themselves.

Nut job!!!

I won't even dignify your baseness with an answer. Just goes to buttress what I said earlier....your arrogance knows no bounds....in your little world of Insanity, you've hastily generalized that every single person who is happy to be single is a product of an abusive relationship they escaped from.
You're not even worth the trouble it was giving birth to you...

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 1:26pm On Nov 08, 2015
omoarole:

I won't even dignify your baseness with an answer. Just goes to buttress what I said earlier....your arrogance knows no bounds....in your little world of Insanity, you've hastily generalized that every single person who is happy to be single is a product of an abusive relationship they escaped from.
You're not even worth the trouble it was giving birth to you...

Heheehheehe I struck a never didn't I? Anyway you cretin, I wasn't talking about everyone I meant you in particular!
You are a lying, deceitful, lonely serial dumpee!!

Lemme guess you have been dumped soooooo many times that u have now convinced yourself that you are lonely and happy?
Funny you! Get off your deluded pedestal and face reality, you are lonely not because you want to but because your have such a messed up character and have refused to acknowledge this hence you won't change! So enjoy your self imposed sad life of solitude retardo
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by omoarole: 3:02pm On Nov 08, 2015
lestat:

Heheehheehe I struck a never didn't I? Anyway you cretin, I wasn't talking about everyone I meant you in particular!

Lemme guess you have been dumped soooooo many times that u have now convinced yourself that you are lonely and happy?
Funny you! Get off your deluded pedestal and face reality, you are lonely not because you want to but because your have such a messed up character and have refused to acknowledge this hence you won't change! So enjoy your self imposed sad life of solitude retardo

I have better things to do than responding to someone who uses words like "cretin" "retardo" "dumpee" to describe someone they've never met. Other more intelligent and socially conscious people and posts need my attention. I will not become you.

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 08, 2015
lestat:

Why are you so incensed because someone says they're single and happy?

Is there something you'll like to talk about? undecided

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by omoarole: 3:58pm On Nov 08, 2015
Gaborone:

It's been so unimaginable to me why someone will be so resolute and adamant about their own view about someone else's life. It is such a sad world. He abuses someone else's sense of person and he feels so triumphantly cool, high and mighty about it. He feels he's the alpha and omega of all knowledge about things happy and sad. And he thinks there is nothing bad about condemning other people's notion of themselves. It's so self centered....
You see, if this was coming from someone you knew personally, who has an idea of who you are or a background on your story, you could explain it away as a prejudiced outlook based on misinformation.....bbut misinformation nonetheless is missing read information. When it comes from a total stranger, it's in the same category with racial profiling....
Like I said, he isn't even worth the time....

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 08, 2015
omoarole:

I have better things to do than responding to someone who uses words like "cretin" "retardo" "dumpee" to describe someone they've never met. Other more intelligent and socially conscious people and posts need my attention. I will not become you.

what? hush and read your past posts, don't get all pretentious and try to play the victim card.. you went there first shocked
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 5:25pm On Nov 08, 2015
Gaborone:

Hey ... read all the posts that led up to this and don't judge
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Coldfeets: 6:09pm On Nov 08, 2015
lestat:

That's an obvious lie, it's best known to you why you chose to lie to yourself but what's even worse is the fact u are actually believing the lie you have told yourself

Hehehe... see this guy o! You are not me and yet you think you know what I feel, or rather, what I should be feeling.

Anyway sha, na so e be. The problem with most people is that people like you are always projecting your life or what you think life should be on others but in essence, I know you guys are just projecting your fears so I understand where you are coming from.

But my guy, believe it or not, call it a lie or not, just like you will be so SAD being alone, God knows, I will be so HAPPY being alone. It's all about choice. One man's meat will always be another man's poison.

Take it or leave it but it is what it is.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by omoarole: 6:16pm On Nov 08, 2015
Coldfeets:

Hehehe... see this guy o! You are not me and yet you think you know what I feel, or rather, what I should be feeling.

Anyway sha, na so e be. The problem with most people is that people like you are always projecting your life or what you think life should be on others but in essence, I know you guys are just projecting your fears so I understand where you are coming from.

But my guy, believe it or not, call it a lie or not, just like you will be so SAD being alone, God knows, I will be so HAPPY being alone. It's all about choice. One man's meat will always be another man's poison.

Lolz.....you sef....you still get time dey answer the puffed up arrogant excuse for a human being.....
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 8:59pm On Nov 08, 2015
Coldfeets:

if tellign yourself this will help u sleep at night then by all means please do grin
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by dove343: 2:12pm On Nov 09, 2015
Carrying extra weight around the waist is common for people with pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes, but it doesn't have to be that way. As a matter of fact, trimming your belly fat will not only help you look and feel better, it can also help reduce your risk of heart attack, infertility issue and stroke.

Making your abdominal muscles stronger has another advantage as well. They support the lower back and hold you upright. Continual poor posture puts these muscles to sleep, leaving you with a belly bump as well as an aching back.

A good ab workout will lighten your midsection and emphasize other large muscles of your body in a way that increases your metabolism (to burn fat) and improves your posture (to make you look younger and leaner).

Join our 30-day Weight Loss Challenge tagged "Weigh-To-Healthy-You" and stand a chance to reach your weight loss goal.

To participate for FREE, simply send "YES" in a chat via WhatsApp on 08133579853.

You will be contacted with further details

Other benefits include:
Free 1-1 daily chat with our nutrition and weight loss experts

Free professional support for the next 3 months

Offer opens for the first 50 people.

-OptimalHealth
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by ILuvMerije(f): 4:25pm On Nov 09, 2015
pleasPdgraphic
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by queenfav(f): 8:53am On Nov 10, 2015
mmsen:

Why is it so important that these ladies have children?

Is Nigeria running low on people?

God bless you..I was about to ask the same thing.Enough already with marriage talk here and there..Nowadays,its hard to know whether you really want to get married because you want to,or because it is what society requires of you.There is more to life abeg,marriage is not the holy grail.Even if a lady has reached menopause,so what?Is it compulsory for everyone to want kids?or even get married?I am sick of this issue honestly.Many people like their own space too much,but end up getting married to make the society stop asking questions.Afterwards,they start having conflicts and eventually get a divorce.If the high rate of divorce isn't telling people anything,its so sad.Many clamour to be married only to rush out when they can't stand the heat.My advice,do you!Its hard coping with the pressure.I get pressurized also.Just don't let it get to you and spur you into making a bad choice.Forever is a long time..What's d hurry to get married?Many even set a time frame for themselves like they are their own creators.Why won't divorce be on the increase.People should stop stigmatizing singles.There is more to life than being married at all costs.If its in the cards for you,it will happen at God's appointed time.

4 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by rosalieene(f): 11:04am On Nov 10, 2015
3Dee:

Bros, I thought I was the only one in that shoe until I came upon ur post. The stigmatisation is real bro. There's even this man at my work place that normally ask after my mum anytime I greet him---meaning I'm still a boy who's probably living under mummy's roof and eating mummy thank you food. Can you imagine!!! angry
I still dey count am for the guy, the day wey I go surprise am with slaps don dey ripe. angryangry
Just watch out Una go hear for nairaland.cool

You are funny.... buhahhhhhahaha
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by rosalieene(f): 2:15pm On Nov 10, 2015
bushdoc9919:
Wow......it did make front page.

(One problem I have, and still have is that I am a looks person....I am slowly learning to judge people by their inner selves....not by their good looks)., or the sex bit.

Same with me oo, am just trying to fight the fact that we are not in the Cinderella world. And stop looking at physical appearances. So help me God.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by rosalieene(f): 2:16pm On Nov 10, 2015
(One problem I have, and still have is that I am a looks person....I am slowly learning to judge people by their inner selves....not by their good looks)

[/quote]

Same with me oo, am just trying to fight the fact that we are not in the Cinderella world. And stop looking at physical appearances. So help me God.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by mikolo80: 6:32am On Jan 15, 2016
kaeforum:
I agree with the moderator, in Nigeria it is believed that married people are responsible, while single working adults are irresponsible, this clearly highlighted in the church where you are barred from taking any responsible office, you cant join the mens group or womens group.

You are treated like a patient, with no rights or recognition, your efforts and labor is not appreciated, theres always this feeling that something is wrong with you spiritually, atimes people are forced on you inorder to make make you married and thus acceptable to the flock.

The only thing they will ever value from you is your money.
then stop giving them the money.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 6:49am On Jan 15, 2016
I got a job recently in ikot ekpene and I found it difficult to rent a house because I'm a single lady...

Five sets of landlords turned me down...

The stigmatisation is real...
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by solbil: 5:55pm On Dec 17, 2016
omoarole:

It's been so unimaginable to me why someone will be so resolute and adamant about their own view about someone else's life. It is such a sad world. He abuses someone else's sense of person and he feels so triumphantly cool, high and mighty about it. He feels he's the alpha and omega of all knowledge about things happy and sad. And he thinks there is nothing bad about condemning other people's notion of themselves. It's so self centered....
You see, if this was coming from someone you knew personally, who has an idea of who you are or a background on your story, you could explain it away as a prejudiced outlook based on misinformation.....bbut misinformation nonetheless is missing read information. When it comes from a total stranger, it's in the same category with racial profiling....
Like I said, he isn't even worth the time....

good post
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by solbil: 6:34pm On Dec 17, 2016
queenfav:
God bless you..I was about to ask the same thing.Enough already with marriage talk here and there..Nowadays,its hard to know whether you really want to get married because you want to,or because it is what society requires of you.There is more to life abeg,marriage is not the holy grail.Even if a lady has reached menopause,so what?Is it compulsory for everyone to want kids?or even get married?I am sick of this issue honestly.Many people like their own space too much,but end up getting married to make the society stop asking questions.Afterwards,they start having conflicts and eventually get a divorce.If the high rate of divorce isn't telling people anything,its so sad.Many clamour to be married only to rush out when they can't stand the heat.My advice,do you!Its hard coping with the pressure.I get pressurized also.Just don't let it get to you and spur you into making a bad choice.Forever is a long time..What's d hurry to get married?Many even set a time frame for themselves like they are their own creators.Why won't divorce be on the increase.People should stop stigmatizing singles.There is more to life than being married at all costs.If its in the cards for you,it will happen at God's appointed time.

no truer words have been said!

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Amaao: 5:45pm On Jan 31, 2020
Ok.....let me you something about married/unmarried
1.Whatever you earning now channels it somewhere either you get married to start a little life with your family because don't wait for bigger much before you start matrimonial home time is precious stone which we can't retrieve it back after we might have exhausted it finished.
2.They usually give respect to married men because once you a family man you can control a nation but if you have not married they look upon down like small boy.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Am Confused As A Father And As Husband / My Wife Gave Birth To SS, I’m AA And She Is AS – Husband / When Your Salary Is 40k And Your 17 Year-old Daughter Is Using Iphone 12

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.