Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,263 members, 7,815,429 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians (41611 Views)

Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. / The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians / 8 words of advice for the Unmarried Single Mothers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 12:07pm On Nov 05, 2015
Lordnewton1:
only if everything said here today would change anything...SMH undecided
it will change my dear,

It is call mental awareness, before you knew it! Things will start changing gradually. But one has to take a yeap of faith.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by yomi007k(m): 12:22pm On Nov 05, 2015
maryhaam:
yes dear,woman power.

I will remind u of ur statements in future.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by stonecoldcafe: 12:34pm On Nov 05, 2015
@StarboyMichael may you live long and may your children call you blessed. Your head dey there. Within the last 3 months, a dear cousin, single, working and earning a good pay has told me a work colleague and family member have advised her to attend deliverance because she is still unmarried. This lady just crossed her twenties.

This is a born again, God fearing lady and as she confided in me, I could see this suggestion had taken its toll on her spirituality and self esteem. It was indeed pathetic!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by globalresource: 12:35pm On Nov 05, 2015
Thank God for this post... People wont leave me alone for a second. When are going to marry I am getting tired of it. They will say u have a car, and cool job. And the trruth of the matter is i am not too bother about it. Why cant they live me alone. Funny enough, none of my parent has ever bothered for a day. They always encourage me to be more successful and determine to achieve.

Thanks fo this op

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by maryhaam(f): 12:36pm On Nov 05, 2015
yomi007k:

I will remind u of ur statements in future.
yes we will get there,yipee
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Ediss(m): 12:39pm On Nov 05, 2015
alterswerve:

If this is coming from a married man, I'm disappointed. That you need marriage to become a man? Wow! I think we know who the boy here is, for without marriage, he wouldn't have become responsible. So disappointed
s behind every successful man there is a woman. Were responsible men are called you will be kicked out without your wife. Without u been married must corporate organizations and government agencies see you as irresponsible
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by hotdi(m): 12:59pm On Nov 05, 2015
menix:
Lamentation of a 'play boy/Gay/Lesbian/Feminist'
Just watch, even those wowo galz no man dey price will also come to support this lamentation..

If u re being stigmatized enta market, ring no cost, it will stop people asking you queshions..

U are right man grin
OP, the Pastor may have taking it too far but he is not totally wrong.
As for office stigmatization, I also experience it but I didn't take it personal, because even my mum wouldn't let me rest. It is a societal thing, especially from this part of the world (Naija), the calculation is once u take up a good job, get married because ur retirement day start counting from the day of your appointment.
I don't think you want to be facing children upbringing especially paying school fees after retirement. That is their point grin
As for respect, you should respect those that are married because, believe me, IT IS NOT EASY AT ALL.......L. They deserve it!
When you sight a Married man/woman, it should inspire you because it is a step ahead of you. And you should aspire to take that bold step because it is a step in the right direction. Even the Bible affirms it.
As for people who decided not to marry at all wink your choice, no offence, Paul the Apostle affirms it too, but immorality has to be out of it too grin

2 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by octopusfreaky(f): 1:03pm On Nov 05, 2015
bisdam9086:

I think the reason why your pastor had to separate you guys is that living with a woman is not easy. For a man to be living with a woman means that the man is very tolerant . Living with a woman is tantamount to living with a mad person(No offence). The strong skills used to endure and maintain a relationship with a woman for years can be required to make decision in the Society because it requires a lot of intelligence to stay under a roof with a woman for years.
Lord have mercy,you have bn meeting the wrong ladies...

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by mcdreeezy: 1:04pm On Nov 05, 2015
Ediss:
s behind every successful man there is a woman. Were responsible men are called you will be kicked out without your wife. Without u been married must corporate organizations and government agencies see you as irresponsible
The woman behind a successful man is his mother and not the wife.

3 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by octopusfreaky(f): 1:05pm On Nov 05, 2015
Sunseeker:
For Nigerian woman Marriage =

1 .ESCAPE FROM PARENTAL PRESSURE
2 .RESPECT FROM PARENTS
3. RESPECT FROM INLAWS
4. REGULAR BRAZILIAN HAIR
5 .A WEALTHY HUSBAND
6 .LEGITIMATE CHILDREN ( African Tradition & Culture)
7. A HOUSE
8. POSSIBLE VISA FOR UK OR LONDON.
9. TITLES LIKE MADAM...LORLOR...OLORI...HER ROYAL MAJESTY
10. A HOUSE GIRL OR GATE MAN TO BEATUP..
11.. OCCASIONAL KONJI WITH HUSBAND ( if hes lucky)
12. INVITES TO BIG PARTIES FROM OTHER MARRIED PEOPLE
13 ...AND MONEY in order not to Suffer in Nigeria's struggling economy.
14: TO PREVENT BEING CALLED ASHAWO, OR A WITCH....

A few Nigerian woman can marry even a poor man for True Love, to help him progress and be happy!
Ohhhh no,,D's is not true
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by octopusfreaky(f): 1:07pm On Nov 05, 2015
pls ooo,is that nairaland guys have bn so unfortunate wen it comes to meeting good ladies..
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by slydog(m): 1:10pm On Nov 05, 2015
Bollove:
The generation of these ladies mostly do not have any thing on their head than being pretty and possessing model shape.

what about knowledge and sense of responsibility .. These crops of girls only think sex is the only appeal to enter a man's heart and good food. What about your sense of Judgement and masters of issues.

me dey use girls do yanga ooo ..... as a working class, u can only watch me, u gat to stand up for Ur sef to date me.... u gat to understand our responsibility in life to marry me .... no be by pancake n make up o.

I was sitting down in shoprite waiting for my (office) driver on the queue to buy fuel during working hours ...... some girls around seven occupied my table and the table next to me ..... Then two of them started acting funny by brushing my hands on many occasions while gazing like IDEK (I dont even know)...... I just acted as if they do not exist until I firmly looked at the one disturbing me like "wtf" undecided , I ain't here for zhit !!!!

I also remember a day a girl on the street walked back and asked me am I calling her cuz I fixed my gaze at her and I told her no oooo .... my guys around fault me sha.

Marry the wrong girl and be unhappy for the rest of Ur life .... get a divorce and start all over again in wife market (who get time) with a divided home.

About to go for my PhD now ... single, young," girlfriend less , energetic and happy .... Verily that dream girl will come , I just want to be ready for her!!!!

Exactly, nothing in the head. Met an Akwa Ibom corper recently, beautiful, nice shape and all, with time I had to run away cos the beauty was only the physical, no inner beauty. Yes the physical beauty attracts every guy, but only the inner beauty keeps a real man. More so when the girl starts talking about making her preg even without marriage, nna, na run I run o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 1:12pm On Nov 05, 2015
StarboyMichael:

Let me continue by saying that I am not married and I don't need anybody's advice on why I am not yet married. I personally will not tolerate disrespect from anyone because I am not married. Neither will I accord anyone special respect because he or she is married. I will only respect you if you deserve my respect, whether you are married or single is immaterial to me.

Finally, let it be clear that single or unmarried status is not a disease that needs to be cured. And to all the single and unmarried people out there, your destiny is in your own hands. Whether you allow the society to make you feel inadequate or not, depends on you. Always remember that there is nothing wrong with you. Also, know that everybody cannot get married at the same time. In fact, I don't have problem with anyone who doesn't want to get married at all.

Thank you and share your thoughts.

You're absolutely right....Being Married does not make one a successful person, neither is it necessary to bequeath any legacy to the human race.

The average scum out there never gives priority to what he/she gives back to the society or what he will be remembered for but will always think of getting hooked and breeding....as if the human race or African peoples are running out of extinction.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Chukzyfcb(m): 1:14pm On Nov 05, 2015
According to Myles Munroe. Yes, the bible says; its good that man should not be alone but the bible didn't say "single". The bible said "alone". To not be alone in this world, all you need are friends & family and we already have that. Adam was all alone with no friends nor family hence the use of the word "alone" in the bible.
Still on bible ish, you same pple quoting bible didn't read where apostle paul said its good to marry but its BETTER to remain Umarried because he would want to spare us the TROUBLES of marriage(read 1cor 7). Y'all didn't read this part abi? You didn't see where he spoke bout troubles? I guess that's why marriage pastors teach bout Tolerance coz the troubles are way beyond control.
Moreover, marriage is for the ready! If people are not ready why disturb them. Our purpose of being born in this life : is to serve humanity & have reverance for God, FINISH!!!. What impact has marriage done in achieving this purpose? Has it helped in serving humanity, has it helped in bettering lives of others? Abegiii Live & let live!

2 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Deefuray(f): 1:26pm On Nov 05, 2015
chronique:
As in,it's not a small issue. I guess most people don't have an idea how embarrassing it is to us,when they start with such questions. It's particularly frustrating for those of us above 30 or approaching 40. I get really embarrased when people start asking "how is madam and the children"...
How is madam and the children? wink

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by jpphilips(m): 1:34pm On Nov 05, 2015
lestat:
To all rejected, dumped, used, confused, lonely, dependent, emotionally immature, mentally immature, aggressive, single people on naioraland who are all bashing marriage and consoling themselves!!! listen!!!

I work in a company with 70% expatriates and even they will tell you marriage stabilizes one better and makes you a well rounded human being!! I get this all the time because i am in my mid thirties and still single!! yet in a much as i would like to convince myself that being single rocks the reality is that being single and unmarried sucks!!!! it sucks so bad it stinks!!!

How i would love to come home to a smiley face of a wife but things just didn't go that way, may have been my fault or the people i met who knows? thats life sometimes life serves you lemons and instead of ranting make some lemonade!!!

Contrary to your post i actually welcome these constant criticisms why? because they keep me on my toes and constantly remind me what i should be doing!! you see its easy to get lost in the life of being single but let me tell you all

THERES NO JOY IN BEING A SINGLE PARENT NOR IS THERE ANY JOY IN BEING LONELY!!! so i would rather keep having people tell me ythe painful truth than get stuck in self delusions of intentionally wanting to be single when in reality i had some innate issues that needed fixing hence why every good person left me!!

For example.. i have a colleague who has serious temper issues , she wont ever agree to anything except its her point of view, now guess what?!! SHE IS SINGLE AT 34!!!! (No surprise there) now at every opportunity she sings out that it was her choice to be single, that infact she has decided to be a single mum!!! wow!! such self deceit!! the truth is she cant keep a relationship because of her attitude!!

Mine is temper i have a bad temper and that sort of used to scare some women away, imagine me f00ling myself into thinking that being single is a choice instead of working on myself? grin

All i am saying is no one wants to be alone!! no matter how much they deceive them selves or convince people, when they are inside their bedroom alone, they all cry and think over past relationships that they self sabotaged!!!

So stop whining and work on yourself, then maybe you can get married

Its great for one to work on oneself no doubt about that but doing that to be marriage relevant? I beg to disagree.
The married ones are back in the game, they merely graduated from fornication to adultery nothing new, does it mean that the married ones have no bad sides?
People marry for different reasons, I really do not have an opinion about marriage trust me, relationships, perhaps

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Lordnewton1(m): 1:52pm On Nov 05, 2015
sonofananimal:
it will change my dear,

It is call mental awareness, before you knew it! Things will start changing gradually. But one has to take a yeap of faith.
In our society alot of rubbish has been subconciously assimilated and generally acepted already and even lies had been passed down from generation to generation until it becomes truth and a way of life.
Those things my dear are difficult to change. Cause even now they are still being transmitted by those who are ignorant.
...so the lies leaves on shealted in the believe that it is truth.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 2:19pm On Nov 05, 2015
Lordnewton1:

In our society alot of rubbish has been subconciously assimilated and generally acepted already and even lies had been passed down from generation to generation until it becomes truth and a way of life.
Those things my dear are difficult to change. Cause even now they are still being transmitted by those who are ignorant.
...so the lies leaves on shealted in the believe that it is truth.
yeap! And we are the effect of it.
The change I'm talking about will be the change of the next or future generations.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 2:26pm On Nov 05, 2015
shona2487:
I think it's time Happily married people began to step forward and share the secret. I dnt nid any1 to tell me that ppl in that category are few. A lot of us r idealists but I think this issue nids a realistic approach. Marriage shld be well prepared for, if sum1 thinks having lots of money is how he/she can prepare, who am I to argue? Jeez! I've got my life and u've got urs nau. Marriage is a double edged sword if dnt handle it well it wld slash u to bits instead of protecting u. We r all here to bare our minds, be honest with ourselves and with eachother. Happily married ppl r very few, wen ppl r pressurized into gettn married,hw is d marriage supposed to work? Ppl nid to start talkn more about hw the society can help improve and sustain marriages. As much as we like to force marriage down ppl's throats in naija, we never lift a finger to help out wen it goes sour. Prayer is needed nd we hav to remember dt God didn't put a deadline on marriage. Look @ d sentence "he who finds a wife,finds a good thing nd obtains favour frm d lord" God himself knws u will find ladiesssss b4 u finally find ONE to be called WIFE. Samme goes for ladies, we find men before we find a HUSBAND, God can hlp us but he wnts us to use our discretion along with his back up, nd dts y he didn't say "he who God finds a wife for,finds a good thing"... let's nt forget dt Adam didn't find his own wife, nw we r here in d world of Eve's error. If we love God we shld use his words to slash into eachother but to guide eachother. PS if any1 pester me abt gettn married quick, i'll first slam u with a punch b4 writing u an epistle o.
from the way i see it many people dont want to be married they just want the "let us get married". Meaning all they want it's the wedding day, attention for the day, party, my special day, blah blah...etc ignoring the fact that being married is more effort(responsibility and sacrifice) than the cheering committee around. So, if we were to go by the timeless truth of Jesus' response to the pharisees on marriage/divorce(matt 19: 4,6 & 8 ) , the pharisees were not looking for the truth concerning marriage and divorce cos they believed him not, but were trying to find ways to trap him on the subject. I think the simple point Jesus wanted us to see was in verse.8 that from the beginning it was not so. Maybe this could be a reason why we have different marriage beliefs from the past to present and the future, too. Confused ideas everywhere, marriage and divorce will continue to exist just like water. some will find it source from Spring water, some from salt water, some from prepared water(arrangee marriage), some dirty water, some from bottled water..... Just add any source wey come ya mind. As for me, if i'm ever ready for the union of a man and woman coming together as one(marriage). All i would do is go back to the "beginning". My peace of mind is an ambition. Stigma or no stigma.. I dont give a shiit. Misery loves company
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by bisdam9086(m): 3:34pm On Nov 05, 2015
hotdi:

U are right man grin
OP, the Pastor may have taking it too far but he is not totally wrong.
As for office stigmatization, I also experience it but I didn't take it personal, because even my mum wouldn't let me rest. It is a societal thing, especially from this part of the world (Naija), the calculation is once u take up a good job, get married because ur retirement day start counting from the day of your appointment.
I don't think you want to be facing children upbringing especially paying school fees after retirement. That is their point grin
As for respect, you should respect those that are married because, believe me, IT IS NOT EASY AT ALL.......L. They deserve it!
When you sight a Married man/woman, it should inspire you because it is a step ahead of you. And you should aspire to take that bold step because it is a step in the right direction. Even the Bible affirms it.
As for people who decided not to marry at all wink your choice, no offence, Paul the Apostle affirms it too, but immorality has to be out of it too grin

Good one form you boss.

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by bisdam9086(m): 3:52pm On Nov 05, 2015
octopusfreaky:
Lord have mercy,you have bn meeting the wrong ladies...

Wrong ladies, all women are the same just that they have different ways of displaying their colors.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by chronique(m): 3:54pm On Nov 05, 2015
Lol. Naughty you.
Deefuray:

How is madam and the children? wink
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 05, 2015
Kimoni:

I think I like this babe cool
Kachisbarbie:

It's mutual grin
Lesbians! angry angry grin

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by wealthreviewme(f): 4:19pm On Nov 05, 2015
Tired of this shit ooo....after searching for job 4 two good years job no gree.i jejely went 4 fashion designing o.d day my oga asked me about my age and i told her, haa since dat day wahala don start. every day she must remind of marriage she must show me lady of 45 who neva c guy marry her.have explained to several times can't just accept a guy.

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by FisifunKododada: 4:32pm On Nov 05, 2015
cool
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Ediss(m): 4:34pm On Nov 05, 2015
mcdreeezy:
The woman behind a successful man is his mother and not the wife.
grow up ok?
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by mcdreeezy: 4:52pm On Nov 05, 2015
Ediss:
grow up ok?
Counter me with a good point if you think I'm wrong.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 4:54pm On Nov 05, 2015
3Dee:

Bros, I thought I was the only one in that shoe until I came upon ur post. The stigmatisation is real bro. There's even this man at my work place that normally ask after my mum anytime I greet him---meaning I'm still a boy who's probably living under mummy's roof and eating mummy thank you food. Can you imagine!!! angry
I still dey count am for the guy, the day wey I go surprise am with slaps don dey ripe. angryangry
Just watch out Una go hear for nairaland.cool

Lolll, this post made me laugh. Don't slap him, though.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Oppy4God(f): 5:13pm On Nov 05, 2015
loneliness is bad in fact getting tired of it,but i have other plans i want to execute b4 dis year run out. people are not getting it.i don't want b a burden to any1.i wanna pick d best of d best,with God help.i have blocked my ear oo.with dis small stature wey i get some people still wan kill me over marriage.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by smilegal84yaho(f): 5:18pm On Nov 05, 2015
why ladies should be a little desperate for marriage is cos of child birth.A guy can get married at any time, give birth to the no of children he wishes to but not so in a lady's case.
Menopause has pushed a lot of women into desperation.
May Almighty God helps and saves us from late marriages embarassedwhy ladies should be a little desperate for marriage is cos of child birth.A guy can get married at any time, give birth to the no of children he wishes to but not so in a lady's case.
Menopause has pushed a lot of women into desperation.
May Almighty God helps and saves us from late marriages

3 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Chibest2000(m): 5:30pm On Nov 05, 2015
StarboyMichael:
. In fact, I don't have problem with anyone who doesn't want to get married at all.
Go into the world and Multiply! It has been there since the days of Adam and he that gave the order (God) know far better than you do. There4 its nt healthy for anyone to shone marriage unless he/she is for the seminary/convent.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Am Confused As A Father And As Husband / My Wife Gave Birth To SS, I’m AA And She Is AS – Husband / When Your Salary Is 40k And Your 17 Year-old Daughter Is Using Iphone 12

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.