Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,292 members, 7,815,509 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians (41612 Views)

Any Married Lady Who Never Had This Is As Good As unmarried. / The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians / 8 words of advice for the Unmarried Single Mothers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 05, 2015
When i was twelve, a teacher asked me when i planned to marry. I replied, '33'
they all laughed at me.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by piagetskinner(m): 5:52pm On Nov 05, 2015
I quite agree with u... But that's the kind of the society in which we live In like it or not... I however will not respect any single individual, who is not morally sound as I would a married man or woman. if u want to be single, be single by living a life of chastity... If not I don't see the point of being single #
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 5:57pm On Nov 05, 2015
undecidedPlease who are the people that make up this Nigerian society that everyone is just blaming?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Ediss(m): 5:58pm On Nov 05, 2015
mcdreeezy:
Counter me with a good point if you think I'm wrong.
my point is that God win grin
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by hotdi(m): 5:59pm On Nov 05, 2015
bisdam9086:

Good one form you boss.

U welcm sir
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Ediss(m): 6:01pm On Nov 05, 2015
mcdreeezy:
me and my sweet. God win
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Ediss(m): 6:05pm On Nov 05, 2015
mcdreeezy:
me and my sweet. God win tongue

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 05, 2015
jpphilips:

Its great for one to work on oneself no doubt about that but doing that to be marriage relevant? I beg to disagree.
The married ones are back in the game, they merely graduated from fornication to adultery nothing new, does it mean that the married ones have no bad sides?
People marry for different reasons, I really do not have an opinion about marriage trust me, relationships, perhaps

I get your point but look at it this way, I never said married people are perfect because we all have our own baggage!
Also if one is a cheat they will always cheat whether married or not!
Now all I simply said was one shouldn't bash the marriage institution because one is single we all hope to settle down one day but let's not go into consoling ourselves that being single or being a single parent is better!

We all know the truth deep down and trust when I say yes I agree a lot of marriages are sham but when u are single sitting in the corner in a bar and u see that couple who are like best friends playing together both wearing arsenal jerseys you would surely be filled with a deep longing!! Not to have sex but to be married!!!
Marriage whether fake or not is way better than the alternative..

I repeat no matter how confident a single person sounds!! No one wants to be alone!!!

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by mcdreeezy: 6:17pm On Nov 05, 2015
Ediss:
my point is that God win grin
Can you now see that you have no point?

Ediss:
me and my sweet. God win tongue
Good for you sir.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by CircleOfWilis: 6:38pm On Nov 05, 2015
naijathings:
if u no marry, wahala.
if u no born, wahala.
and worst of all, it is everybody's business.

if u no marry, wahala.
if u no born, wahala.
and worst of all, it is everybody's business.

Go to school, make sure you stay away from girls and face your books,
Don't go to that church,
go to this one because they have a strong pastor,
join one or more groups in the church,
read your books,
you must graduate and go for NYSC with your mates,
Submit 1,000 CVs,
Give your first salary to the church so God will not allow anything happen to your job,
Pay Tithe,
Pay tithe,
Pay Tithe,
remember your junior ones and don't forget to pay their school fees,
When will you SETTLE DOWN ?
When will you SETTLE DOWN ?
Don't Marry this one, her eyes are wider than your own,
Don't Marry this one, she is from a wayward family,
Don't Marry this one, she is from OSU family, her mother is a witch, she is abiku, her father is a poor man.
I hope you have started trying to make babies ?
I hope your wife will give us a baby boy to carry the family name because these girls will soon go to another family.

one of the most sensible post I have seen here
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by 3Dee(m): 6:40pm On Nov 05, 2015
AfroKnight:
I will attend 2 weddings later this month and I have prepared my mind for the inevitable questions. grin No be today.

Imagine! Some people will tell me: "oga, get serious and settle down.You are already looking like a daddy" I think they are only looking at my 1- super pack tummy.

Nigerians sha. grin Never bothered me much. Well, I guess it's easier for guys to ignore such comments than you ladies.

This part got me ROTF. cheesycheesycheesy
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Archie30: 7:07pm On Nov 05, 2015
Marriage is holy and gracious. While nobody should disrespect any state of life, you could never succeed in talking down the holiness of married life. End off
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Kimoni: 7:08pm On Nov 05, 2015
FriedPlantain:

Lesbians! angry angry grin

Hehehehehe jealousy!!!!

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by globalresource: 7:20pm On Nov 05, 2015
Waladade4luv:
Omo he b like sey na tru oh am d only single guy for my office and if u see aw everybody look down on me although am d youngest sha, if anybody late to office or no come that is not big deal but if na me they will be like sey u get wife for house ni or afterall u are not married wetin dey delay u, even if anybody wants to borrow money na still me cause them believe i neva marry and nothing wey i dey use money for..i tire for them oh

Same with me...matter got worse for them when i got my car...they said after na marriage. It is their song everyday
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by solbil: 7:39pm On Nov 05, 2015
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by bukatyne(f): 8:40pm On Nov 05, 2015
tivta:

Hello Mrs, can I ask a question? What are the benefits of marriage to a man? Especially when he is the only one paying all the bills? Cause I know from my folks that financial responsibility in marriage should be shared according to capacity, what pisses me of is how women of today leave all financial responsibility for the man. Eg, buying boxers for birthday but expecting a car? Please speak to your single friends not to make such mistakes

How many marriages do men pay 'all' the bills
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by bukatyne(f): 8:41pm On Nov 05, 2015
Interesting thread.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by tivta(m): 9:36pm On Nov 05, 2015
bukatyne:

How many marriages do men pay 'all' the bills
Alot... That's why most women say her husband's salary is for the family whereas hers is for her self alone.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by funkymatics(f): 10:51pm On Nov 05, 2015
This has been my frustration for sometime now. my boss thinks i don't have a husband to serve when I get home so he drains all my energy at work till I end up being very useless to myself. moreover I learnt the hard way, Neva let them know your age else they will keep reminding you of what you haven't achieved with the numbers you've spent
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by alterswerve(m): 3:44am On Nov 06, 2015
Ediss:
s behind every successful man there is a woman. Were responsible men are called you will be kicked out without your wife. Without u been married must corporate organizations and government agencies see you as irresponsible

But am I?
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by alterswerve(m): 4:04am On Nov 06, 2015
lestat:

I get your point but look at it this way, I never said married people are perfect because we all have our own baggage!
Now all I simply said was one shouldn't bash the marriage institution because one is single we all hope to settle down one day but let's not go into consoling ourselves that being single or being a single parent is better!

We all know the truth deep down and trust when I say yes I agree a lot of marriages are sham but when u are single sitting in the corner in a bar and u see that couple who are like best friends playing together both wearing arsenal jerseys you would surely be filled with a deep longing!! Not to have sex but to be married!!!

I repeat no matter how confident a single person sounds!! No one wants to be alone!!!

You are quite right, but nobody said being single is better. The OP didn't say that. But you are very wrong when you said that whether fake or not, being married is better.
These are the points laid
1. Don't stigmatise unmarried people
2. Don't force them into marriage
3. Not every married person is responsible and happy. Not every single person is irresponsible and unhappy. The state are mutually exclusive
4. Marriage, though good, isn't the most important thing in life

My own point
1. If you focus on your life's purpose while single or divorced, at times you might just feel like you need someone to talk to, to share things with, but when you start working on your life's purpose again, you'll forget all that... Along the way, you might find someone, but if you don't, that you are doing what God intended for you is more than enough consolation.

5 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by CIMA129: 5:29am On Nov 06, 2015
3Dee:

Bros, I thought I was the only one in that shoe until I came upon ur post. The stigmatisation is real bro. There's even this man at my work place that normally ask after my mum anytime I greet him---meaning I'm still a boy who's probably living under mummy's roof and eating mummy thank you food. Can you imagine!!! angry
I still dey count am for the guy, the day wey I go surprise am with slaps don dey ripe. angryangry
Just watch out Una go hear for nairaland.cool
abeg make una no kill person with laugh here o
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by marriedvirgin: 7:40am On Nov 06, 2015
Hahahahahahaha this is the funniest thing i've ever heard hahahahahaha.
Especially when you said you don't have a problem with someone who never wishes to get married.
Its all about choices and we respect your opinion hahahahahahaha omg people are hilarious grin grin grin grin
If anyone is happy being single,we respect it .If anyone is happy being married, we respect it.Singlehood is not for everybody.Marriage is not for everybody.Neither of the two is a trophy.Just be at peace with your God.

Besides, Op you speak excellent English.

StarboyMichael:
My friend wrote this and I want to share.

Let me first declare that this post was inspired by a Facebook post by a friend. She narrated that she heard a pastor telling the married women in his congregation not to be friends with single women...the reason for his advice is that he believes they will be misled by their unmarried/single friends.

Well I am not ready to join issue with this pastor, but I will like to use this opportunity to join issue with Nigerian society as a whole. Personally, I have always believed that Nigerians have a very misguided, perverted and warped idea of a relationship or marriage.
I said so because I am talking from experience. An average Nigerian believes that once a man or woman is working, the next thing is for him or her to get married. Everywhere you go, you are bombarded with the questions of "when are you getting married?", "do you know time is going?", "what are you waiting for?", etc. In fact, the pressure is so much that if you are not a strong person, you will start thinking that you have a problem.

Now let everyone listen to me, if you are married, congratulations and I wish you well. But it is an invasion of privacy to be asking people when they are getting married. And it is wrong of you to disrespect people because they are not married. Some people even think single or unmarried people are irresponsible or lose. If you are a man, some people will also insinuate that may be you are impotent. ‪#‎smile‬. I have seen situations where some married people believe you should accord them special respect because they are married and you are not.

Let me continue by saying that I am not married and I don't need anybody's advice on why I am not yet married. I personally will not tolerate disrespect from anyone because I am not married. Neither will I accord anyone special respect because he or she is married. I will only respect you if you deserve my respect, whether you are married or single is immaterial to me.

Finally, let it be clear that single or unmarried status is not a disease that needs to be cured. And to all the single and unmarried people out there, your destiny is in your own hands. Whether you allow the society to make you feel inadequate or not, depends on you. Always remember that there is nothing wrong with you. Also, know that everybody cannot get married at the same time. In fact, I don't have problem with anyone who doesn't want to get married at all.

Thank you and share your thoughts.

2 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by marriedvirgin: 7:49am On Nov 06, 2015
People may chose to be single for reasons best known to them just as people get married for different reasons.Lets just keep it down to the fact that people should keep their private lives to themselves and stop explaining their situations to others because it is only when people know about you that they would have one or two things to start judging about.Always remember that the level of respect you get from outside depends on the amount and type of information you give about yourself.

My two cents

lestat:

2 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 9:17am On Nov 06, 2015
marriedvirgin:

People may chose to be single for reasons best known to them just as people get married for different reasons.Lets just keep it down to the fact that people should keep their private lives to themselves and stop explaining their situations to others because it is only when people know about you that they would have one or two things to start judging about.Always remember that the level of respect you get from outside depends on the amount and type of information you give about yourself.

My two cents

I agree
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 9:18am On Nov 06, 2015
alterswerve:

You are quite right, but nobody said being single is better. The OP didn't say that. But you are very wrong when you said that whether fake or not, being married is better.
3. Not every married person is responsible and happy. Not every single person is irresponsible and unhappy. The state are mutually exclusive

My own point
1. If you focus on your life's purpose while single or divorced, at times you might just feel like you need someone to talk to, to share things with, but when you start working on your life's purpose again, you'll forget all that... Along the way, you might find someone, but if you don't, that you are doing what God intended for you is more than enough consolation.

Your point is well stated and very true, yes every human being has a purpose beyond marriage and procreation, and rem,ember that wasnt the argument? having said that i agree with the points you stated

1 Like

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by omoarole: 1:44pm On Nov 06, 2015
alterswerve:

My own point

Been actually livid with anger at the post of many people on this matter. But now I see there are people with greater minds and better hearts.
My point all along!!! It's a live and let live world. Marital status and quality of life should not be confused. Marital status and mental status should also not be confused. Do not insinuate that your view about life is better than mine. You can suggest a better way, but let it be out of love and respect for my way of life and decisions. Anybody who is bashing the institution of marriage needs to have their head examined. Am sure no single person in their heart of hearts will think that marriage is evil for everybody. But the converse is also true! I may be single by design or accident. That is none of your business. It only becomes your business if I aproach you for advice. Then and then only can you make it your life ambition to move heaven and earth on my behalf. But when such attention and unsolicited advice comes from just any Tom Dick or Harry, it can drive a man insane.
And if you think that I cannot bbe responsible because of my marital status, you really have to redefine your idea of responsibility. If you feel I cannot add value to you because I'm single or divorced or a widower or separated, it's your loss, not mine.
If I'm good at what I do, and I'm happy and contented with my way of life, then, you are nothing more than a monster to decide your way is better than mine. ....not even when the "god" that you think you serve has prescribed your way for you!

3 Likes

Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Ediss(m): 3:01pm On Nov 06, 2015
lipsrsealed
alterswerve:

But am I?
lipsrsealed undecidedmaybe no grin
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Coldfeets: 6:01pm On Nov 06, 2015
lestat:

You are so wrong. I repeat, I WANT to be ALONE.
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by Nobody: 10:55pm On Nov 06, 2015
Coldfeets:

You are so wrong. I repeat, I WANT to be ALONE.

That's an obvious lie, it's best known to you why you chose to lie to yourself but what's even worse is the fact u are actually believing the lie you have told yourself
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by yomi007k(m): 11:00pm On Nov 06, 2015
maryhaam:
yes we will get there,yipee

Babe, how u dey?

Been a while tongue
Re: The Stigmatisation Of Unmarried/single Working Adult Nigerians by maryhaam(f): 12:55pm On Nov 07, 2015
yomi007k:

Babe, how u dey?

Been a while tongue
am fine dear,how about you?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Am Confused As A Father And As Husband / My Wife Gave Birth To SS, I’m AA And She Is AS – Husband / When Your Salary Is 40k And Your 17 Year-old Daughter Is Using Iphone 12

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.