Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them - Religion (236) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them (374095 Views)

Examining Talk That Jehovah's Witnesses Are The Only Ones Preaching Out There / Ghanaian Man Chases Jehovah's Witnesses Out Of His House By Stripping Unclad / What Is Your Reaction When Jehovah Witnesses Knock On Your Door? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) (239) ... (278) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by PastorAIO: 7:27pm On Jan 14, 2019
Janosky:

The Jews removed the divine name YHWH because they claimed that Jehovah's name was too holy to be called by mere sinful men.

Not True!! They never removed the divine name because of it being to holy or whatever. The removed the vowels so that only those who knew it could call on it. So they wrote it YHWH. That is why till today so many outsiders who are trying to claim don't really know the true name. So some people will say Jehovah, others will say Yahweh, and still others will say Yahwooh, and others just Jah.

In the LXX they use Kyrios instead of YHWH. Kyrios means Lord.

Janosky:

Jesus used the divine name & made the name known to his followers.

Jesus said "I have made your name known to the men whom you gave me out of the world" John 17:6,26.
Matt 6:9
How would Jesus himself have made the divine name known if he had substituted YHWH in favour of "Lord"?

Matthew 22
43Jesus said to them, “How then does David in the Spirit call Him Lord? For he says: 44‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at My right hand, until I put Your enemies under Your feet.”’ 45So if David calls Him Lord, how can He be David’s son?”

Here we have Jesus quoting from the LXX as he does so many times throughout the gospels. You seem to believe that the Jews did not know Yhwh was the name of their deity until Jesus came and told it to them. That is false.

They very well knew that name, but recognised that in the LXX it was translated as Kyrios and it was the LXX they were using, including Jesus.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by johnw47: 11:21pm On Jan 14, 2019
Janosky:

Johnw lying Pharisee keeps peddling junk.

crooked Johnw lying Pharisee

now now false jw copycat jano
just because i truthfully show how you lie and are confused etc. etc. etc.

there is no reason to falsely accuse me of those same things, which is just adding to your lies
but then you are just taking after your father the devil:
Joh_8:44  Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by johnw47: 11:40pm On Jan 14, 2019
Janosky:

Johnw lying Pharisee keeps peddling junk.

John 4:1-34, nowhere did Jesus say "Father and the Word have "one spirit".

false jw jano
God is a Spirit, Father and the Word is God, john 1:1, so Father and the Word are one God - one Spirit

Janosky:
The preface in different Bible versions says that the name of God (YHWH- Yahweh ,Jehovah) was removed & substituted with the title "LORD"

Deut 6:4 is NOT correct, in as much as Johnw lying Pharisee would never agree to the removal of his name from any book he wrote..

Yet he see's nothing with removal of Jehovah's name from His word the Bible
crooked Johnw lying Pharisee

false accuser jano
@bold, i have never said that, that's just more false accusing from you and your daddy devil

Joh_8:44  Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

2Co_4:4  In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by johnw47: 12:00am On Jan 15, 2019
Jozzy4:

God [ the Word ] was WITH God [ the Father ]

419, how many God is that ?

oh duh duh duh blinded false jw jozz
once again: God the Word and God the Father is the one true God,
two persons who are the one true God, john 1:1
not two gods as you polytheists false jw's believe in, almighty god the father and mighty god the son,

Almighty and Mighty are two titles - names for the one true God,
want scriptures? just ask

Joh 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
^^^ two persons who are the one God

confused and blinded false jw jozz, you neither understand or believe God's word, of course,

Jozzy4:
I thought Barrister07 ask you to go and do your assignment on that Deu 6:4

did he, i certainally wouldn't take an assignment from one of satans mob

Jozzy4:
Yahweh our God, is one Yahweh.
That's what it says , 419 quoting rubbish for us.

No son of God is Yahweh - Psalm 89:6. Yahweh is our Father not Jesus.

i haven't got enough duh's for you false jw jozz

of course YAHWEH our God is one YAHWEH = the Lord our God is one Lord = God is one God,
not two gods as you false jw jozz believe in
God is Father and the Word, two persons in God, john 1:1
but you false jw jozz are blinded to truth

YAHWEH is a name for God
Father and the Word is God = Father and the Wotd is YAHWEH, john 1:1, plus many more,
ask and i will again post verses showing that Jesus is God, and that Father and Jesus is YAHWEH = is God

2Co_4:4  In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by johnw47: 12:39am On Jan 15, 2019
Jozzy4:

grin grin grin ,

NO SON OF GOD is Yahweh oooooo , Psalm 89:6

false jw jozz

Psa 89:6  For who in the heaven can be compared unto the LORD? who among the sons of the mighty can be likened unto the LORD? 

the sons on the mighty are the angels, none of the angels can be compared to the LORD

on the other hand the man Jesus Christ is compared to the Lord often in scripture:

Heb_1:3  Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

@blue, Father and the Word sit on the Throne of God = Father and the Word is God, john 1:1

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by johnw47: 1:00am On Jan 15, 2019
Janosky:

The hogwash & trash of brocab lying Pharisee.

where in John 4:1-34 did Jesus say "the Father and the word are two persons having one spirit"? according to your fellow Pharisee .

Dey there dey deceive yourself

false accuser, bad mouth, and know nothing jano

God is a Spirit, John 4:24, and Father and the Word is God, john 1:1, so Father and the Word are one God - one Spirit

Joh_4:24  God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Joh 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God

oh quadruple duh
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by johnw47: 4:15am On Jan 15, 2019

the Septuagint Bible translating old testament hebrew to greek, translates YHWH to Kyrios,

and Kyrios appears about 740 times in the Greek New Testament, usually referring to Jesus

Jesus/Kyrios
and
Jesus/YHWH, as so many scriptures show:

YAHWEH
Psa 102:25 Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens are the work of thy hands.

Jesus
Heb 1:10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of

thine hands:

YAHWEH
Isa 45:23 I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me

every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

Jesus
Php 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things

under the earth;

YAHWEH
Deu 10:17 For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which

regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:

Jesus
Rev 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and

King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

Incidentally, see at Deut 17:14 YAHWEH is referred to as a mighty God, and we know that God is also referred to as

Almighty God, they are not two gods, a mighty god and an almighty god as false jw believe.

YAHWEH
Isa 44:6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am

the last; and beside me there is no God.

Jesus
Joh 1:49 Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.

YAHWEH
Psa 130:7 Let Israel hope in the LORD: for with the LORD there is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption.
Psa 130:8 And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

Jesus
Tit 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar

people, zealous of good works.

YAHWEH
Zec 12:10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of

supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one

mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

Jesus
Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and

all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

YAHWEH was pierced
Jesus was pierced

YAHWEH
Joe 2:32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in

mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.

Jesus
Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by PastorAIO: 7:28am On Jan 15, 2019
You nor suppose dey fear to quote my name like this na....

johnw47:

the Septuagint Bible translating old testament hebrew to greek, translates YHWH to Kyrios,

and Kyrios appears about 740 times in the Greek New Testament, usually referring to Jesus

Jesus/Kyrios
and
Jesus/YHWH, as so many scriptures show:

YAHWEH
Psa 102:25 Of old hast thou laid the foundation of the earth: and the heavens are the work of thy hands.

Jesus
Heb 1:10 And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of

thine hands:

YAHWEH
Isa 45:23 I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me

every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

Jesus
Php 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things

under the earth;

YAHWEH
Deu 10:17 For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which

regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:

Jesus
Rev 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and

King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

Incidentally, see at Deut 17:14 YAHWEH is referred to as a mighty God, and we know that God is also referred to as

Almighty God, they are not two gods, a mighty god and an almighty god as false jw believe.

YAHWEH
Isa 44:6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am

the last; and beside me there is no God.

Jesus
Joh 1:49 Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.

YAHWEH
Psa 130:7 Let Israel hope in the LORD: for with the LORD there is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption.
Psa 130:8 And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

Jesus
Tit 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar

people, zealous of good works.

YAHWEH
Zec 12:10 And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of

supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one

mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

Jesus
Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and

all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

YAHWEH was pierced
Jesus was pierced

YAHWEH
Joe 2:32 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in

mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call.

Jesus
Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by johnw47: 10:30pm On Jan 15, 2019
PastorAIO:
You nor suppose dey fear to quote my name like this na....

fear to quote your name??

i don't always quote the names of some articles i post also

1. because it's not necessary, except to let know that the writer is a christian in those cases
2. opposers are not able to mock the writer

explain yourself

by the way, you must be confused, this is the part you wrote:

not the major part of my post that you quoted, which of course i wrote
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by brocab: 2:51am On Jan 16, 2019
Are you sure you are somewhat of some kind of a some sort a JW-after listening to you-no-one would look twice at the JW's..If you are having trouble understanding the truth about the scriptures, it's simple to ask-didn't the Watchtower teach you how to be nice? Or is this something you will learn at a further date!!
Janosky:

The hogwash & trash of brocab lying Pharisee.

I dey vex for who?
Lol .

I'm not angry at anyone whatsoever. Anger no dey my mind.Na your conscience dey judge U.

What has your pointless post got to do with these issues raised in my previous post?
U dodged them & resorted to post nonsense ...
A) Removal of God's (Jehovah) name, YHWH from almost all Bible versions except NWT & a few others.
YHWH substituted with "Lord" @ Deut6:4.

("In regard to the divine name, YHWH, commonly referred to as the Tetragramaton, the translators adopted the device used in most English versions of rendering that name as. " LORD" in capital letters.
'Preface' in "Women of Faith Study Bible", New International Version).

(B) where in John 4:1-34 did Jesus say "the Father and the word are two persons having one spirit"? according to your fellow Pharisee .

The "mystery" that confused u na "holy ghost" demon dey teach u...
Dey there dey deceive yourself

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by brocab: 3:27am On Jan 16, 2019
The JW's also removed YHWH from their bible, changing the "Y" to a "J" calling Him Jehovah which should sound Yehovah! besides that the JW's keep on changing their bible every year, by removing and adding scriptures pleasing themselves-and expecting the world to follow-where God told them not too..
PastorAIO:

Who removed YHWH from the bible? It wasn't any christian cult. Rather it was the Jews themselves when they wrote the LXX, the greek translation of the hebrew scriptures. This was done around 3rd century BC.
Jesus himself used the LXX and quoted from it so it cannot be as bad as you are making it out to be. That would mean that Jesus himself substituted Kyrios (lord) for YHWH.

For more detail see here:
https://www.nairaland.com/1224167/contra-bibliolatreia-ii-septuagint
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by Jozzy4: 12:35pm On Jan 18, 2019
PastorAIO:

Not True!! They never removed the divine name because of it being to holy or whatever. The removed the vowels so that only those who knew it could call on it. So they wrote it YHWH. That is why till today so many outsiders who are trying to claim don't really know the true name. So some people will say Jehovah, others will say Yahweh, and still others will say Yahwooh, and others just Jah.

Matthew 22
43Jesus said to them, “How then does David in the Spirit call Him Lord? For he says: 44‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at My right hand, until I put Your enemies under Your feet.”’ 45So if David calls Him Lord, how can He be David’s son?”

Here we have Jesus quoting from the LXX as he does so many times throughout the gospels. You seem to believe that the Jews did not know Yhwh was the name of their deity until Jesus came and told it to them. That is false.

They very well knew that name, but recognised that in the LXX it was translated as Kyrios and it was the LXX they were using, including Jesus.

LXX retaining the divine name in Hebrew Characters as far back as first century has been discovered , enlighten yourself bro.

If that's the case and modern versions contain kyrios, What went wrong ?

I think the answer is simple
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by Jozzy4: 12:39pm On Jan 18, 2019
johnw47:

false jw jozz

Psa 89:6  For who in the heaven can be compared unto the LORD? who among the sons of the mighty can be likened unto the LORD? 

the sons on the mighty are the angels, none of the angels can be compared to the LORD

on the other hand the man Jesus Christ is compared to the Lord often in scripture:

Heb_1:3  Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

@blue, Father and the Word sit on the Throne of God = Father and the Word is God, john 1:1

Don't be silly, if the sons of the Mighty are angels , who is their Father ?

Is Jesus not also a son. grin
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by Jozzy4: 12:44pm On Jan 18, 2019
brocab:
The JW's also removed YHWH from their bible, changing the "Y" to a "J" calling Him Jehovah which should sound Yehovah! besides that the JW's keep on changing their bible every year, by removing and adding scriptures pleasing themselves-and expecting the world to follow-where God told them not too..

Y change the Y in " Yirmiyahu " to J in Jeremiah also?

Y change the Y in Yeshua to J in Jesus ?

Are u this ignorant and silly Sir ?
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by Jozzy4: 12:48pm On Jan 18, 2019
PastorAIO:

Angel of God gets conflated with God himself, I agree. But it is not just the matter of convention. Otherwise we can question every encounter with God in the bible. Did Moses meet god? did he see the back of god's head? Did Adam and Eve converse with god in the garden of eden? DID methuselah walk with God? etc etc etc......

We do not need to question every encounter of God , context helps a lot , the question is why would John quickly follow up that event of Thomas at verse 28 , saying immediately at verse 31 .

" But these has been written down so that you may BELIEVE that Jesus is the Christ, THE SON of God " - John 20:31.

Objective analysis to help a sincere person know his true identity
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by brocab: 1:21pm On Jan 18, 2019
Ignorant of you, your argument belongs to you! We never changed the scriptures, nor did we add to them-the Watchtower removed and added the scriptures that shouldn't be done..If you have kept to bible knowledge in the first place-you wouldn't need to chop and change from YHWH to Jehovah. You would believe God and His every Word..But you don't "Hypocrite!!!
"But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in...
“The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do.
For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
But all their works they do to be seen by men.{This is a very good description-whom you stand for!}
Jozzy4:

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by Jozzy4: 1:26pm On Jan 18, 2019
brocab:
Ignorant of you, your argument belongs to you! We never changed the scriptures, nor did we add to them-the Watchtower removed and added the scriptures that shouldn't be done..If you have kept to bible knowledge in the first place-you wouldn't need to chop and change from YHWH to Jehovah. You would believe God and His every Word..But you don't "Hypocrite!!!
"But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in...
“The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do.
For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
But all their works they do to be seen by men.{This is a very good description-whom you stand for!}

You just showed u are an empty barrel that's making noise. Since you can't respond to that which u gave you. Keep shut
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by brocab: 1:36pm On Jan 18, 2019
Jozzy4:
" But these has been written down so that you may BELIEVE that Jesus is the Christ, THE SON of God " - John 20:31.
Then how come you are always in a non agreement-when the Word of God in mentioned-when we agree Jesus is the Son of God, and He is One with God.
You are a lair when you say, you know Christ and you refuse to believe His every Word, Jesus is the Son of God-He is One Heart Mind and Spirit and soul with His Father, the Son of God-not the archangel Michael-you claim Him to be-out from wrong interpretations.
The God of the bible is the living God-He came in the flesh and lived among Men. This is the God we worship, the only true God 'He died for all man kind: to Live as He lived..
Jozzy4:

We do not need to question every encounter of God , context helps a lot , the question is why would John quickly follow up that event of Thomas at verse 28 , saying immediately at verse 31 .

1 Like

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by brocab: 1:40pm On Jan 18, 2019
Only to you, I am empty-but when there is Christianity concerned, you are not concerned..but a lair and a snake, and there's no truth found in you!
Jozzy4:

You just showed u are an empty barrel that's making noise. Since you can't respond to that which u gave you. Keep shut
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by Jozzy4: 1:46pm On Jan 18, 2019
brocab:
Only to you, I am empty-but when there is Christianity concerned, you are not concerned..but a lair and a snake, and there's no truth found in you!

Liar, no wonder u can't defend your lies when faced with Facts.
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by PastorAIO: 3:58pm On Jan 18, 2019
Jozzy4:

LXX retaining the divine name in Hebrew Characters as far back as first century has been discovered , enlighten yourself bro.

If that's the case and modern versions contain kyrios, What went wrong ?

I think the answer is simple

Try and think, please. Even the LXX that didn't use Kyrios had YHWH. YHWH is an abbreviation of the Divine name. You, sir, do not know the divine name of the Hebrew diety. You Do Not.

You shoot yourself in the foot by making a big deal out of something that you are totally ignorant of.

You made a false claim that early Christians took the divine name out of the New Testament and substituted Kyrios. My point is that the substitution was already done long before Christianity even came into existence.

Further it is not 'modern versions' that use Kyrios as you claim. There are ancient versions using Kyrios. You are trying to sell the idea that all LXX originally had YHWH and only recently was that changed to Kyrios. That is a lie.

You may shout jehovah jehovah all you want but the fact is that you don't even know whether or not Jehovah is the name of the Hebrew deity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by PastorAIO: 4:04pm On Jan 18, 2019
Jozzy4:

You make a good point here sir. Why?

Since it is so important to you that the proper name is used then why do you call him Jesus and not his original name?

2 Likes

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by PastorAIO: 4:16pm On Jan 18, 2019
Jozzy4:

Yes we do need to question every encounter of God. Can you mention one encounter with God in the bible that wasn't actually an angel instead?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by brocab: 4:37pm On Jan 18, 2019
Obviously you didn't understand my page-it wasn't just about the Y or J-it's about the complete turn around you JW's have done to try to destroy the bible' You call God Jehovah and you call His Son Jesus-why not change His name too?
History of the word Jehovah
It is interesting to understand how the word Jehovah was derived, as the history of the word shows why the word is incorrect. In an unfortunate stroke of the pen the Watchtower Society chose to adopt the rendition of YHWH that has least resemblance to the original name and incorporates the very reason the exact pronunciation is unknown.
Ancient Hebrew did not contain vowels and so the pronunciation of words was handed down. In order to preserve the pronunciation of the Hebrew language, the Masoretes created a system for introducing vowels into the Hebrew language during the ninth century A.D. However, when it came to YHWH, rather than putting the correct vowel signs, they put vowel signs for Adonai (Lord) or Elohim (God), in order to remind the reader to use the word Lord or God instead of the name of God.
Adonai (Lord) was predominantly used, however, in passages where Adonai and YHWH appeared together, Elohim was used instead, to avoid repetition of the word Lord.
As proposed by the 19th-century Hebrew scholar Gesenius, it is generally accepted that mixing the vowels for Lord and God with the consonants YHWH that led to the manufacture of the hybrid word Jehovah. Hence, it was the effort to avoid pronouncing God's name that led to the manufacture of the hybrid word Jehovah.
"The form Jehovah is of late medieval origin; it is a combination of the consonants of the Divine Name and the vowels attached to it by the Masoretes but belonging to an entirely different word. The sound of Y is represented by J and the sound of W by V, as in Latin.
The word "Jehovah" does not accurately represent any form of the Name ever used in Hebrew.
"Yahweh-the personal name of the God of the Israelites . . . The Masoretes, Jewish biblical scholars of the Middle Ages, replaced the vowel signs that had appeared above or beneath the consonants of YHWH with the vowel signs of Adonai or of Elohim.
Thus, the artificial name Jehovah (YeHoWaH) came into being.
Although Christian scholars after the Rendssance and Reformation periods used the term Jehovah for YHWH, in the 19th and 20th centuries biblical scholars again began to use the form Yahweh.
Early Christian writers, Such as Clement of Alexandria in the 2nd century, had used the form Yahweh, thus this pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton was never really lost. Greek transcriptions also indicated that Yhwh Should be pronounced Yahweh."
The first time the Tetragrammaton appeared in an English Bible was on the title page of William Tyndale's Bible translation of 1525, where it was written as Iehouah. This was an interlace of YHVH and Adonai. The King James Version also originally used Iehouah, influenced by the Ben Chayim codex. The King James Bible changed the spelling to Jehovah for the 1762-1769 edition.
Combining YHWH with Adonai is referred to as interlacing, fusing or superimposing. It could hardly be considered accurate or respectful.
The illogical fusion of the sacred Name with the vowel points of another name is shown in the preface to The J.B. Rotherham Emphasized Bible:
"To give the name JHVH the vowels of the word for Lord [Heb. Adonai], is about as hybrid a combination as it would be to spell the name Germany with the vowels in the name Portugal - viz., Gormuna.

The monstrous combination Jehovah is not older than about 1520 A.D."
The Watchtower argues that Jehovah is acceptable as it is a translation. And where this info came from 'there is plenty of it, if you would just let your fingers do the walking and push the right buttons, this information is everywhere to be found..
Jozzy4:

Liar, no wonder u can't defend your lies when faced with Facts.

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by brocab: 5:00pm On Jan 18, 2019
The JW's didn't believe to change Jesus name, because before He arrived on earth-He was Michael the archangel, and after He returned back into Heaven Jesus is 'Michael the archangel
PastorAIO:

You make a good point here sir. Why?

Since it is so important to you that the proper name is used then why do you call him Jesus and not his original name?
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by zodiakzax: 5:14pm On Jan 18, 2019
Jozzy4:

Fixed ! U quickly change it to. Person. cheesy but u can say husband is one flesh, wife is another flesh , why not say husband is one person, wife is one person as well ? Fraud person , 419

grin grin silly person , Jesus admit they are two flesh , but will become one flesh . Why not admit you have two Gods at John 1:1 too, but that u want them to become one God ? grin grin grin grin grin grin

Are u now telling me your TWO GODS at John 1:1 will have to become one God too ? Hahahaha

Who is the One God composed of, One or two persons ? " one God and Father of all " Ephesians 4

So the one God is actually the Father of all, 419 not three person's/Gods , just one .

grin grin grin grin grin..So two persons can become one abi? So why is it difficult for you to understand the trinity that 3 persons can be one also... grin grin..you've answered it yourself stupid idiot...
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by zodiakzax: 5:20pm On Jan 18, 2019
Jozzy4:

Very silly , I even throught u will say he isnt a son , So u admit he is a son ? grin grin grin , Jesus is a son too ( Rev 2:18) .

NO SON OF GOD is Yahweh oooooo , Psalm 89:6

You are still being stupid.....Jesus is Yahweh, Jesus is the One Yahweh.. 1cor 8, Jesus is the Begotten Son of God, at least the Jews and John understood that he that is the only Son of God is God himself and that was why they wanted to kill him... Jesus is the Mighty God, everlasting Father... Jesus is the Creator of all things ... You are stupid, if Jesus created all the angels including Michael and Gabriel, why do your stupid cult say Jesus is Michael...bunch of retards... grin grin grin grin... illiterates..
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by zodiakzax: 5:24pm On Jan 18, 2019
Jozzy4:

I don't think anyone ask u who is the everlasting father. We only want to know who is OUR Father.

Jesus is not our Father - John 20:17. FACT

But Yahweh is OUR Father , Jesus is not - Isaiah 63:16

No son of God is Yahweh - Psalm 89:6

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy what's the difference betwen everlasting Father and our Father... mehn you guys are so stupid and dumb..... who is the Eternal Father? Is he not our Father? grin grin grin grin... same Isaiah said Jesus is our Everlasting Father..... same Isaiah said Yahweh is the Mighty God, same Isaiah said Jesus is the Mighty God...e pain you die... grin grin grin
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by zodiakzax: 5:36pm On Jan 18, 2019
Jozzy4:

Thomas is a Jew, its not unusual for Jews to address Gods messengers as God himself . this does not mean they believe the particular messenger is God, but they acknowledge he is from God

Jacob fight with an angel, yet he said he fight with God .

Manoah and his wife saw an Angel , but Manoah exclaimed, We have seen God! We will die.

So Thomas statement is understandable , as Jesus himself is also a representative from God. But that doesn't make him the only true God , that sent him.

John wrote: his book was written so you can believe Jesus is Gods son NOT God himself.

grin grin grin grin grin grin..stupid idiot... look at your stupid explaination, They knew who Jesus was, not a random being appearing to them, so for Thomas to call My God and My Lord means He Aknowledges Jesus as God...stupid fool.... who spoke in the burning bush? Who stopped Abraham from sacrificing Isaac, etc, was it an angel or God... only God can answer prayers, Jesus said ask anything in my name and I will do it.... stupid fool
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by zodiakzax: 5:49pm On Jan 18, 2019
Janosky:

The Jews removed the divine name YHWH because they claimed that Jehovah's name was too holy to be called by mere sinful men.

Jesus used the divine name & made the name known to his followers.

Jesus said "I have made your name known to the men whom you gave me out of the world" John 17:6,26.
Matt 6:9
How would Jesus himself have made the divine name known if he had substituted YHWH in favour of "Lord"?

grin grin grin grin grin grin..stupid idiot.... So what was the name Jesus mentioned?? If Jesus said i have made your name known then show us where Jesus used Yhwh as Gods name? Stupid assumptionist... If Jesus made Gods name known why did He says we should say Father? Why did Jesus Himself call him Father and not by His name? Yahweh, Jehovah etc are not God's name my friend, the name is YHWH and the probunciation of that name has been lost.. what we now have is formulated name to help us pronounce the real name of YHWH.. So your Jehovah and Yahweh isn't the real name of YHWH... Why is Jehovah in the book of revelation, the Greek word for that is kyrious which means Lord, simple, under which authority did your stupid cult use Jehovah in revelation when revelation wasn't written in Hebrew?... stupid idiots..
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by zodiakzax: 5:56pm On Jan 18, 2019
Jozzy4:

Don't be silly, if the sons of the Mighty are angels , who is their Father ?

Is Jesus not also a son. grin

grin cheesy grin cheesy..and who is the Mighty?....stupid fool..

Jesus is the Mighty God, Jesus is the One Lord... Jesus is the Begotten Son of God, all angelic beings are created, we humans are also sons of God because He is our Father and creator.. Angels and humans are The sons of Jesus because he is their creator.Jesus is the Creator, Jesus is Yahweh
Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: 17 Facts People Should Know About Them by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jan 18, 2019
brocab:
The JW's didn't believe to change Jesus name, because before He arrived on earth-He was Michael the archangel, and after He returned back into Heaven Jesus is 'Michael the archangel
Before coming to the earth Michael is the archangel (leader of all heavenly armies) Daniel 12:1
After been transformed into an embryo in the womb of a Jewish virgin and born as human Jesus is His name!
After completing His earthly assignment and returning to heaven,Jesus was given a new name that above every other name,but He is still under the one who gave Him such name. 1Corinthians 15:27,28
It's just simple, unless you want to complicate issues and turn everything upside down so that neither you nor your audience will be able to explain easily! cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) (238) (239) ... (278) (Reply)

Sincere Milk — "Help From Above" / Nairaland Bible Quiz-you can join anytime... / Dreams And Their Meanings/ Interpretation

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.