Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,475 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:53 PM

The Key To Everlasting Friendship - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Key To Everlasting Friendship (1785 Views)

Is Marrying A Female Practicing Lawyer A Recipe For Everlasting Marital Doom? / What's The Key To Successful Relationships? / He Gave Me A Key To His Apartment - What Does This Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Key To Everlasting Friendship by bilms(m): 3:22pm On May 15, 2009
The Key to Everlasting Friendship

Making friends is easy; maintaining friendship is not. In fact, making ourselves unpopular is a job so easily done. One slip of the tongue, one harsh word, one instance of anger and we might end up losing our best of friends. What’s more – friends may even turn into foes if this tendency is not checked.

The key to a lasting friendship is self-control. But then, this is not easy. It only comes through a strong relationship with the Almighty, and a firm commitment to the notion that self-control and self-restraint in this world will lead us to great reward in the Hereafter.

One of the toughest impediments in exercising self-control is an unfavourable response from a friend. One often gets put off by a cold response. It is not easy to put up with such behaviour. The best and perhaps the most successful way to tackle it is to keep doing good regardless of what one encounters in return. This requires great effort and profound patience. It also requires that a person should not expect anything in return for a favour he does. If it is returned, he should consider it a bonus, and if it is not, he should continue to do good as long as he can and adhere to the dictum:

Do all the good you can

By all the means you can

In all the ways you can

In all the places you can

At all the times you can

To all the people you can

As long as you can

wat do u think?
Re: The Key To Everlasting Friendship by Nobody: 3:31pm On May 15, 2009
enemies will profit u more than friends. instead of wasting ur time by trying so hard to keep friends
u berra divert ur energy at making more enemies.
Re: The Key To Everlasting Friendship by iice(f): 4:56pm On May 15, 2009
The key is to be yourself.
Everything else na stress and wahala
Re: The Key To Everlasting Friendship by IFELEKE(m): 5:03pm On May 15, 2009
iice:

cest fini!
Re: The Key To Everlasting Friendship by Nobody: 5:27pm On May 15, 2009
bilms:

Making friends is easy; maintaining friendship is not. In fact, making ourselves unpopular is a job so easily done. One slip of the tongue, one harsh word, one instance of anger and we might end up losing our best of friends. What’s more – friends may even turn into foes if this tendency is not checked.

The key to a lasting friendship is self-control. But then, this is not easy. It only comes through a strong relationship with the Almighty, and a firm commitment to the notion that self-control and self-restraint in this world will lead us to great reward in the Hereafter.

One of the toughest impediments in exercising self-control is an unfavourable response from a friend. One often gets put off by a cold response. It is not easy to put up with such behaviour. The best and perhaps the most successful way to tackle it is to keep doing good regardless of what one encounters in return. This requires great effort and profound patience. It also requires that a person should not expect anything in return for a favour he does. If it is returned, he should consider it a bonus, and if it is not, he should continue to do good as long as he can and adhere to the dictum:

Do all the good you can

By all the means you can

In all the ways you can

At all the times you can

As long as you can

wat do u think?

I think you are right!!!

iice:

I dont agree with you, being yourself is not good enough. . . . You have to be ready to make an effort, be nice, be good, be fair . . . you musn't kill yourself, but be ready to sacrifice. Its just like being a marriage.
Re: The Key To Everlasting Friendship by iice(f): 5:33pm On May 15, 2009
Ujujoan:

I think you are right!!!

I dont agree with you, being yourself is not good enough. . . .  You have to be ready to make an effort, be nice, be good, be fair . . .  you musn't kill yourself, but be ready to sacrifice. Its just like being a marriage.

If you are not naturally nice.  .  .really make the effort to be nice?  I would like to see the day the person runs out of energy to make the effort to be nice.  When you cloud up things.  .  .eventually they come into the light and people don't usually react positively to that. 

Anyhoo, it's not for everyone.  It has always worked for me.  .  . fortunately grin grin  I can be very trying grin grin
Re: The Key To Everlasting Friendship by IFELEKE(m): 5:48pm On May 15, 2009
Ujujoan:

I dont agree with you, being yourself is not good enough. . . . You have to be ready to make an effort, be nice, be good, be fair . . . you musn't kill yourself, but be ready to sacrifice. Its just like being a marriage.

and who said being yourself will rob you the opportunity to be all what you quoted
Re: The Key To Everlasting Friendship by topup: 7:36am On May 16, 2009
iice:

If you are not naturally nice.  .  .really make the effort to be nice?  I would like to see the day the person runs out of energy to make the effort to be nice.  When you cloud up things.  .  .eventually they come into the light and people don't usually react positively to that. 

Anyhoo, it's not for everyone.  It has always worked for me.  .  . fortunately grin grin  I can be very trying grin grin

I don't think I can ever run out of energy to be nice. It's one of my main priorities.

I think an analogy is laughing, to some people laughing takes a lot of energy to do, for me, it's such a habit it flows effortlessly - 'tp don't you get tired of giggling.'

If someone is not naturally nice, shouldn't they try to work on that?? Nicer people are viewed as being weaker, but it takes a certain personality to be able to do that effortlessly, as the rest of the world is so tough.

It's not about changing your personality, since when was being agressive or rude (or anything opposite to being nice) what makes a character?? It's just about empathy sometimes.
Re: The Key To Everlasting Friendship by olanajim(m): 8:10am On May 16, 2009
@topup,

If is is so easy for people to change who they are permanently, there will never be any disappointment in relationship again.

You tend to firget so easily. Take a trip back to your post and you will find the answer. I guss iice was giving an example, not that she think only of nice people in that instance.
Re: The Key To Everlasting Friendship by iice(f): 9:26am On May 16, 2009
topup:

I don't think I can ever run out of energy to be nice. It's one of my main priorities.

I think an analogy is laughing, to some people laughing takes a lot of energy to do, for me, it's such a habit it flows effortlessly - 'tp don't you get tired of giggling.'

If someone is not naturally nice, shouldn't they try to work on that?? Nicer people are viewed as being weaker, but it takes a certain personality to be able to do that effortlessly, as the rest of the world is so tough.

It's not about changing your personality,  since when was being agressive or rude (or anything opposite to being nice) what makes a character?? It's just about empathy sometimes.

I of all people would not think aggressive is opposite of nice LOL.  .  .
Yes some nice people are weak, but there are some nice people who are strong.

There is nice and there is nice.  You prolly are nice, it's the person you are. 
Some people are nice in the sense of decorum or just for 'certain' occasions (Which is kind of a pressure), it doesn't mean they are rude or aggressive, just nonchalant or apathetic.  Would the person want to be on that kind of pressure 24/7? LOL like i said, i will like to see when the person runs out of energy. 
Some traits are ingrained, is what i am saying.  You can powder and foundation it up but it will come out one day.  You let your friends see you at your worst, if they are still there standing beside you holding your hand - count yourself lucky.

olanajim:

If is is so easy for people to change who they are permanently, there will never be any disappointment in relationship again.

Remove the fangs of a lion and behold a toothless lion, not a domestic cat.
Re: The Key To Everlasting Friendship by bblacky(f): 10:44am On May 16, 2009
u as
bilms:

Do all the good you can

By all the means you can

In all the ways you can

At all the times you can

As long as you can

wat do u think?

Good post n good ideas, but i dont believe, yes!! u keep doing good to a friend n in return u are paid wit evil?

patient? yes dats another key to keepin friendship, but how long can one die in silent agony just for d sake of keepin friendship, while d oda cares less of dat same friendship.

for all i believe its beta u do all d good things to an enemy dan to a friend dat values it less,

(1) (Reply)

In Love With Two Girls / My Girlfriend Told ''i Don't Knw How To Kiss / Help Me Get Over This CRUSH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.