Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,536 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? (6809 Views)

How One Woman Changed My Life Forever (pictures Added) / Can A Man love and Be sexually Faithful To One Woman? / My Girlfriend Is Marrying Someone Else (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by stinggy(m): 12:57pm On Dec 03, 2015
andromida:

Nope there was nothing like Christianity in those days.
Ok that's the angle you're coming from...

So why do Christians still follow some things practised before Christianity came into fruition and practised by the so-called non-christains?
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Dec 03, 2015
DuchessLily:

At bolded - is it the woman who is to agree whether to give birth to a male child or not?? shocked undecided

funny enough the guy doesn't know much about reproduction, he doesn't know that its the man that determines whether the child will be a boy or not..... its the MAN for crying out loud
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Dec 03, 2015
stinggy:

Ok that's the angle you're coming from...

So why do Christians still follow some things practised before Christianity came into fruition and practised by the so-called non-christains?

Like what practices do you have in mind so i'll know the angle you are coming from.
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by stinggy(m): 1:11pm On Dec 03, 2015
andromida:

Like what practices do you have in mind so i'll know the angle you are coming from.
Tithing to start with.
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Dec 03, 2015
stinggy:

Tithing to start with.

Lol.

Tithing is not compulsory we are encouraged to subscribe it.
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by stinggy(m): 1:32pm On Dec 03, 2015
andromida:

Lol.

Tithing is not compulsory we are encouraged to subscribe it.
Why not totally expunge it since its root isn't in Christianity?
Yet the campaign against polygamy is different undecided
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Dec 03, 2015
stinggy:

Why not totally expunge it since its root isn't in Christianity?
Yet the campaign against polygamy is different undecided

Christ changed the game for Christians he was very explicit as to what is the standard no grey areas here. No slip ins for side chics or second wife cheesy. Sowwie cheesy
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by stinggy(m): 1:55pm On Dec 03, 2015
andromida:

Christ changed the game for Christians he was very explicit as to what is the standard no grey areas here. No slip ins for side chics or second wife cheesy. Sowwie cheesy
He said that at a time when both gender has almost same population, which obviously isn't the case again.
Monogamy has expired, embrace polygamy my last wife wink grin

Btw, I know Paul taught on it, did Christ do too?
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Dec 03, 2015
stinggy:

He said that at a time when both gender has almost same population, which obviously isn't the case again.

Hehehehehehe no kill yourself o. I can't fit join harem. cheesy

Yes Christ did.
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by dBard: 2:01pm On Dec 03, 2015
obiorathesubtle:
now. I close this case! It has been settled!

Those two aren't niggas. The one on the left is an egotistic bowditch! The one on the right is just an exceptionally brilliant artist

But, you remain ma nigga!

How dare u call one of the most brilliant, exciting, capable And CONSISTENT players to Grace this earth a bowditch

Bros, my temper is rising f u o **vexing**
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by stinggy(m): 2:06pm On Dec 03, 2015
andromida:

Hehehehehehe no kill yourself o. I can't fit join harem. cheesy

Yes Christ did.
U nor get choice tongue at the fullness of time, u go join
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by obiorathesubtle: 2:09pm On Dec 03, 2015
dBard:

How dare u call one of the most brilliant, exciting, capable And CONSISTENT players to Grace this earth a bowditch

Bros, my temper is rising f u o **vexing**
no matter how high your temper rises. It will never fry egg. So go relax

Ronaldo is obsessed with everything. He's just very good at being a machine

Messi is gifted, the pure talent. It's asif God looked down at messi from heaven and said to the angels, we have to give this one the talent. There's no greater master in football, dead or alive!

Believe it or not!
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by dBard: 2:26pm On Dec 03, 2015
obiorathesubtle:
no matter how high your temper rises. It will never fry egg. So go relax

Ronaldo is obsessed with everything. He's just very good at being a machine

Messi is gifted, the pure talent. It's asif God looked down at messi from heaven and said to the angels, we have to give this one the talent. There's no greater master in football, dead or alive!

Believe it or not!

Mtscheeewwwww... I hiss in Igala.
Pure talent that only shines in his comfort zone..
Yea, C.R is a machine..a pure, smooth, efficient,well built machine that functions wonderfully irrespective of the challenge.

Beta show respect bros, lemme not over vex here angry

1 Like

Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Dec 03, 2015
stinggy:

U nor get choice tongue at the fullness of time, u go join

This dream won't come true.
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by stinggy(m): 3:00pm On Dec 03, 2015
andromida:

This dream won't come true.

Wait and see wink
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Dec 03, 2015
stinggy:

Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by DuchessLily(f): 5:07pm On Dec 03, 2015
esosa993:

funny enough the guy doesn't know much about reproduction, he doesn't know that its the man that determines whether the child will be a boy or not..... its the MAN for crying out loud

I tire for the guy ooo
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by hoobs(m): 5:13pm On Dec 03, 2015
thorpido:
Yea,the I AM that I AM but He sent Jesus for a purpose that you don't have an epignosis of.Even if you don't understand it,why does your bible have an old and a new testament?It's obvious you don't even know why.
hehehehe,you know nothing about Christianity!!!!,was it christ or God dat divided the bible into old and new....all these were man made!!!!.......normally there is nothing like old and new,because Jehova is not old neither is he new,so his mod of worshiping him doesn't change......I repeat Exdous 20 should be your foundation.....then you go down to numbers,levitcus nd deutronomy.
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by Truckpusher(m): 5:19pm On Dec 03, 2015
thorpido:
The purpose of Christ is to redeem man and give him eternal life so he can have the righteousness of God.
A man who has the righteousness of God does not have to keep Mosaic laws.He is no longer under the law.
But the same Jesus said that he didn't come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the Prophets but to fulfill them - Mathew chapter 5:17.
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by thorpido(m): 5:29pm On Dec 03, 2015
Truckpusher:
But the same Jesus said that he didn't come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the Prophets but to fulfill them - Mathew chapter 5:17.
Yes He came to fulfil the law.Do you understand the fulfilment part?
The bible says the law is not made for the righteous but the sinner.It's the sinner who has to try to keep the law(not that he can keep it perfectly however).Jesus came to fulfil the law by offering Himself as a sacrifice that man can receive the righteousness of God.
When you have the righteousness of God,you have His nature.What law are you trying to obey when you have His nature?
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by thorpido(m): 5:31pm On Dec 03, 2015
hoobs:
hehehehe,you know nothing about Christianity!!!!,was it christ or God dat divided the bible into old and new....all these were man made!!!!.......normally there is nothing like old and new,because Jehova is not old neither is he new,so his mod of worshiping him doesn't change......I repeat Exdous 20 should be your foundation.....then you go down to numbers,levitcus nd deutronomy.
I know where you are coming from.You have limited knowledge.
You know nothing about dispensation and spiritual times.
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by Truckpusher(m): 5:40pm On Dec 03, 2015
thorpido:
Yes He came to fulfil the law.Do you understand the fulfilment part?
The bible says the law is not made for the righteous but the sinner.It's the sinner who has to try to keep the law(not that he can keep it perfectly however).Jesus came to fulfil the law by offering Himself as a sacrifice that man can receive the righteousness of God.
When you have the righteousness of God,you have His nature.What law are you trying to obey when you have His nature?
You must be running with some doctrine being pioneered by some churches to soothe their belief system.
In Mathew 22:37-40 when Jesus was asked about the greatest laws what was the significance of his reply ?
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by thorpido(m): 5:51pm On Dec 03, 2015
Truckpusher:
You must be running with some doctrine being pioneered by some churches to soothe their belief system.
In Mathew 22:37-40 when Jesus was asked about the greatest laws what was the significance of his reply ?
The problem with you guys is that you don't see beyond the literal expressions of Jesus' words.

I'll be back to expound on this.
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by Truckpusher(m): 5:55pm On Dec 03, 2015
thorpido:
The problem with you guys is that you don't see beyond the literal expressions of Jesus' words.

I'll be back to expound on this.
When you come back I want a concrete well explained answer and not some cooked up doctrine - By the way you're the one sounding vague with your interpretations here even when I showed you a quotation where Jesus himself specifically said something that is plain and simple even to the dumb yet you managed to twist it to soothe your belief system.
I'm waiting for your answer on the above mentioned subject you quoted.
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by cyprus000: 5:59pm On Dec 03, 2015
[size=13pt][b]
I took my time to go through this thread and I have to sincerely say that I'm disappionted. I was especting christain's to address this widespread ignorance with biblical fact. Only one person even pulled out verse.
Well, I'm not gifted with much time. So I will pull out some verse I can remember.

First: to be a good christian. You have to understand the meaning and foundation of christianity. The word "christian" was derived from christ. It means people who behave and follow the way of christ. So bringing old testament to butress point when christ and his disciples have clearly address an issue is an unforgivable ignorance with great consequence.

This is what christ and his disciple said in:-

Matthew 19:3-9

1 When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to the other side of the Jordan. 2 Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.

3 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?"

4 "Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'5 and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate."

7 "Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"

8 Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."

1 Timothy 3:12
12  Let deacons be the husbands of but one wife, and let them manage [their] children and their own households well.

Titus 1:6

6  [These elders should be] men who are of unquestionable integrity and are irreproachable, the husband of [but] one wife, whose children are [well trained and are] believers, not open to the accusation of being loose in morals and conduct or unruly and disorderly.

Luke 16:18
18  Whoever divorces (dismisses and repudiates) his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman who is divorced from her husband commits adultery.

[/b][/size]

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by thorpido(m): 6:49pm On Dec 03, 2015
Truckpusher:
When you come back I want a concrete well explained answer and not some cooked up doctrine - By the way you're the one sounding vague with your interpretations here even when I showed you a quotation where Jesus himself specifically said something that is plain and simple even to the dumb yet you managed to twist it to soothe your belief system.
I'm waiting for your answer on the above mentioned subject you quoted.
I will try to summarise this but make it concise.

When God created Adam and Eve,they were without sin and no law was given to them because they were righteous.Righteous men don't need the law.
They however sinned and took on the nature of sin when they obeyed the devil.Men through their lineage carried on that sin nature.Laws and rules came because men could no longer live a life that met God's standard.When Moses came,he made those laws he received from God concise so as to have an order.Those laws were given to Jews(they were not Christians ).

When Jesus came,He came to deliver to mankind redemption and the ability to receive and carry the righteousness of God which was lost with Adam.He came to give man a new nature.That was why He said,'Except a man be born again,he cannot see the kingdom of God(John 3:3).
He said He came to fulfil the law which was part of His sacrificial giving.However,there's something better than obeying or keeping the law(which no man can ever keep perfectly - take note of that).It's receiving the nature and righteousness of God which He came to give the world(John 3:16).

In that same book of Matt 5 that you have been quoting,He said in vs 20;
'For I say to you,that except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and pharisees,ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven'.
These were people who kept the law and were obeying it,yet Jesus said the righteousness of the people must be more than that letting you know the law was not perfect and no man could fulfil it.Only Jesus did!
As Christians,we have received eternal life(for as many that have) and have the nature and righteousness of God.We have something better than trying to obey laws which no man with the unregenerated nature can obey perfectly.It's not that the laws are useless but now we have a nature that pleases God without trying to score points by obeying laws.
Jesus brought a new order.There was a transition.
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by Truckpusher(m): 11:24pm On Dec 03, 2015
thorpido:
I will try to summarise this but make it concise.

When God created Adam and Eve,they were without sin and no law was given to them because they were righteous.Righteous men don't need the law.
They however sinned and took on the nature of sin when they obeyed the devil.Men through their lineage carried on that sin nature.Laws and rules came because men could no longer live a life that met God's standard.When Moses came,he made those laws he received from God concise so as to have an order.Those laws were given to Jews(they were not Christians ).

When Jesus came,He came to deliver to mankind redemption and the ability to receive and carry the righteousness of God which was lost with Adam.He came to give man a new nature.That was why He said,'Except a man be born again,he cannot see the kingdom of God(John 3:3).
He said He came to fulfil the law which was part of His sacrificial giving.However,there's something better than obeying or keeping the law(which no man can ever keep perfectly - take note of that).It's receiving the nature and righteousness of God which He came to give the world(John 3:16).

In that same book of Matt 5 that you have been quoting,He said in vs 20;
'For I say to you,that except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and pharisees,ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven'.
These were people who kept the law and were obeying it,yet Jesus said the righteousness of the people must be more than that letting you know the law was not perfect and no man could fulfil it.Only Jesus did!
As Christians,we have received eternal life(for as many that have) and have the nature and righteousness of God.We have something better than trying to obey laws which no man with the unregenerated nature can obey perfectly.It's not that the laws are useless but now we have a nature that pleases God without trying to score points by obeying laws.
Jesus brought a new order.There was a transition.
Quite impressive for a man that used up almost four paragraphs just to justify a teaching that doesn't make sense.
So, pray tell , what is this particular thing that has made the laws of God so irrelevant according to your load of crap that was churned out with the target of soothing some unbelievers who have adopted a way life and an attitude to do whatever they like while believing that as long as it is their heart desire in conformity with their belief system then God is at peace with.
The bible is straightforward and God doesn't change.
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by macof(m): 12:36am On Dec 04, 2015
As far as I know, having more than one wife is allowed in my culture. Any stuupid roman book can burn in fire cus polygamy is No sin

The act of marrying one wife to one husband is what the pagan Europeans, especially romans had as law. .
Pls people we aren't Europeans. ..European laws should mean nothing in an African nation. ..if you can have two or 20 wives, go ahead. .the law backs you up

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by thorpido(m): 6:43am On Dec 04, 2015
Truckpusher:
Quite impressive for a man that used up almost four paragraphs just to justify a teaching that doesn't make sense.
So, pray tell , what is this particular thing that has made the laws of God so irrelevant according to your load of crap that was churned out with the target of soothing some unbelievers who have adopted a way life and an attitude to do whatever they like while believing that as long as it is their heart desire in conformity with their belief system then God is at peace with.
The bible is straightforward and God doesn't change.
You obviously do not understand the scriptures.
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by Nobody: 2:52am On Dec 06, 2015
ssweetorgasm:
for example if your wife goes barren or refuses to give u a male
Someone may have already asked this but how does a wife refuse to give you a male child?
Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by Nobody: 6:00am On Dec 06, 2015
AABeauty:
Someone may have already asked this but how does a wife refuse to give you a male child?

African mentality. It is an inherited madness...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Christians, Is Marrying More Than One Woman A Sin? by anonimi: 6:30am On Dec 06, 2015
How can it be a sin against God or another person?
HOW can marrying a second wife be a sin to a Christian?

Apostle Paul wrote somewhere that to be a leader in the church, one must be husband of only one woman hence if you are ordinary member you can marry more. Otherwise there is no specific reference on the issue.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is 40k Too Much For My 21yrs Old Virgin Girl Friend For Christmas? / This Is Why Some Of Us Decided To Leave Women, And Hustle Tight! / One Thing Women Desire Most But They Will Never Tell U.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.