Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,809 members, 7,813,663 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:53 PM

How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? (32943 Views)

Got My First F In My Final Year Exam. / Hardest Course(s) You Did In School As An Undergraduate. / Which Of These Sentences Scares You Most As An Undergraduate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by tete7000(m): 1:31pm On Dec 28, 2015
Never had an F. Even when a course was hard always somehow managed to get the minimum required to scale through.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by gagewonda(m): 1:32pm On Dec 28, 2015
Never had an F wen I was in school though had a missing script in my second semester 100L Eco 113 economics mathematics 11. Rewrote it in 300L
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by topsy23: 1:32pm On Dec 28, 2015
Greatest Futarians:

Mine wasn't "F" but E in my 200level IMC 201(computer programming). I was shocked when I checked the result pasted on Electrical department notice board. I decide not to check the result when my friends are checking it before it was pasted hoping that I will have a good grade. But thank God I made my 2.1.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by PheezyLee(m): 1:34pm On Dec 28, 2015
Dint av 'F' all through my 10 semesters back then... God be praised!
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Dec 28, 2015
I never had F, but I fought on behalf a friend of mine who scored F.

This was how it happened: it was pos 208, 2nd semester. The instruction on the question paper instructed that we should ''Fill IN THE GAP'' for section A while section B should be answered in the booklet given to us. The lecturer then gave a verbal instruction that both sections are to be answered inside booklet. Not many of us heard the verbal instruction, so some followed the instruction on the paper while other did as th lecturer verbally instructed.

When the results came out, myself and others who followed verbal instruction passed while my friend and people who followed written instruction got F.

This caused outrage especially from me because I was the course rep. I confronted the lecturer, but he said nothing could be done. Even my course adviser advised that we should let go of the matter because if we took the lecturer to the senate and he got sanctioned because of it, and since we are still taking elective courses from that same department, we would be victimised by other lecturers. So those affected took the course again
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Dec 28, 2015
I had my first F last semester, I wnt say I didn't deserve it. it was an elective and I didn't take it really serious, beside the class was for 7am and I hardly meet up because I don't stay on campus...I felt really sad tho. But have been putting all my best in all the courses this semester..and I know I'll get a productive result at the end of the semester.

Never take any course less serious.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Dec 28, 2015
Never had an F. But I had an E and two Ds. Dropped the ball a lot in the 1st and 2nd years. 3.1, 3.8, 3.4, 4.1

I wish I could turn back the hands of time.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by veraiyke(m): 1:39pm On Dec 28, 2015
Happened not to score or get an F till I graduated. Some B, C, D and E I scored were highly questionable. Wanted to even make a case on my first and only E but was advised by my father and lecturers to drop the case. On one of my C the lecturer begged me to drop the case since he had already submitted the result and it had been approved by the senate.Thank God sha I was among the best four in the dept of Philosophy with my second class upper
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by seedbaba(m): 1:39pm On Dec 28, 2015
Had F in my library 101, 70% of my level mate failed it because we didnt register on time and did not buy the manual, thankGod it was a zero unit course. Resat for the course in my 200L and had an A, it doesnt add anything to my CGPA. Since then never had F and came out with a 2:1.. Now its all history.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by michaeltotti(m): 1:39pm On Dec 28, 2015
Are oau students nt here,i never hear of mth101,mth104(vector)bld201 where u write exam without table,ssc201 and egl.

Am sure oau student dnt want to talk.

I never had 'F'.stil i pray i dnt hav one.and to those who hav had F.may God console u with gud mark when u rewrite it.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Olamilekan08(m): 1:43pm On Dec 28, 2015
I never had any F.
Worse come to worst na 50 C on dot.

However I was scared with a F.
When I saw it, I was surprise, I was like how manage? Na so e easy to fail?
So, with the confidence in me, I went to see a senior lecturer who then ordered the junior lecturer in charge of the course to look into the matter.
It was then that he discover that the exam score was wrongly entered. I ended up with C of 54.

It's not over, as I had my lowest score of my degree program in my 300level. It was an E of 42.
It was then I realise that the gap between an E and F, E and D, D and C, E and C is just a matter of 5 to 10 marks. See my life! With just 8 or 3 more marks I could be better off. But that's not all that matters, I should be grateful- I'm just 3 marks away from failing.
I knew that I haven't done well my standard, right there in the exam hall, I knew it's going to be bad. I wasn't the type to answer a single question for 20 marks. And there I have it, two 20 marks questions and I could only answer with 'residual knowledge'

I was taking my dinner when I was the E I lost my appetite immediately and it seems as if I was dreaming. So the next day I check again. Lo and behold the E remains the same.
I knew I didn't do well, but I wasn't expecting E, I thought I'll end up with my usual C.

Resultant effect? A drastic fall in my CGPA as never before to 3.69. I was scared as this is what I'll be taking to final year. But with time, I came to with terms with it and buckle up. With that, it longer demoralise and destablise me as it did at first.

So, my dear undergraduates, F is not the end, it doesn't translate to a low class of degree. There are 1st class and 2nd class graduates with Fs. It all depends on how you respond to it.
Do not give up until it is over.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by RVBC: 1:43pm On Dec 28, 2015
I had F evry semester till I graduated I also had extra year... If you want to be like me don't attend classes!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Dec 28, 2015
funny.... I never had "F" in University or Secondary School... lowest I have had was a D.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Rohzay(m): 1:46pm On Dec 28, 2015
Never had an F in sch. Bt i had an E .....it was terrible to me den
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Dec 28, 2015
Obinovictor:
The only F I had was in Math 101. It was first like a movie. Very quickly I protested to my Course adviser. I just can't fail that course so I told him I'll apply for remarking which he supported. I applied and waited for centuries and Maths department in FUTO didn't even do anything about it, so I rewrote the course and excelled. Since that Day, God remained faithful, No more Fs.
You are amazing bae!!!

Like seriously,you wrote a letter to anyone in FUTO? shockedshocked
How would you expect an answer when laziness is fvcking in their gene

1 Like

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by alpontif(m): 1:47pm On Dec 28, 2015
bobolizim:
greatest uite!mine was not an F...even never had that but we have institutional failure and personal failure....it was in che157,I had 10 in test,it was obj ooo even many had 0...I ended up with 53 though but it affected my gp small cos nah 4 unit

Dr woods?...inorganic chemistry. 2002/2003...those were the days.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by placeofallure(f): 1:49pm On Dec 28, 2015
I had to learn the hard way. This happened in Uni-Ilorin.

First experience was in 300 level first semester exams, one of my core courses. I had read very well and as expected, the questions were 3 with instructions to answer any 2 but #1 is compulsory. I dunno the spirit that entered me I didn't read the instruction, I Just answered the two that I know best which unfortunately were 2$3. That was how I got my 'F'. The most annoying thing was this is a lecturer that I was friendly with. He never starts a class without finding out first if I was in class or not. People even thought we might be going out. No, we weren't. Immediately I stepped out of the exam hall trying to show my friends how cruelly I dealt with the questions, I just saw the instructions: answer any 2, #1 is compulsory, I felt like fainting. Of course I waited outside the hall for him to finish and see if I could talk him into any special favours, for where? He was adamant, I had to redo it. When the results came, I failed by one mark. I also knew he was passing a message which I didnt allow to slip. It didn't spoil our friendship though, in fact I appreciate his firmness of purpose. Since that incident, I have always read instructions, even the ones that do not concern me, I read them.

The second episode I think happened in my 200 level. This was in a course I minored in- History. Shortly before the exams, I was sick and was taken back home to Lagos from school. Before this time, the lecturer has never made even one appearance in class, some of us don't even know him, we just register for the course. About a fortnight to exams, he started coming and I left school a fortnight to exams too, so we didn't meet. Just imagine how the exams will look like for me. He did his CA behind me but my friends rallied round and somebody sat for me.
After my appendix operation, I returned to school on exact exam day, I took my travel bag to the hall. I explained to the sadist and even showed him my operation wound and medical papers, he said No! He wanted sex and I wasn't going to play. I went away and carried it over.
The day I will redo this paper........Oh my! I dissected the questions, he sold a hand-out earlier and we already know his questions. He sat in front of me throughout, he was even making mockery. Do you know what I did? I poured it down the exact w a y it is in the hand out- this is some document running into about 8 typed pages. Let him come and tell me how I failed this time. I hated him and that was how I thought I could pay him back.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Walelavender(m): 1:49pm On Dec 28, 2015
Never had an 'F' during under-G days. However empathizing with the 'carriers' wasn't difficult. Helping them not 'carry' it again was also tackled.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Glocee(f): 1:50pm On Dec 28, 2015
Mine was in my final year. I wept bitterly and that was enzymology( BCH 426)
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by ifeomaekol(f): 1:52pm On Dec 28, 2015
kilokeys:
To folks in my shoes..

Don't let sadistic fools like the one that quoted me.. Bring u down

Keep ur head up high. With the Fs and all, restrategize.

Learn new stuff.
If i had excelled excellently in engineering. I might have been streamlined, living a boring life.

Right now.. I have worked as a Facility Manager, a Personnel Manager, an Executive Assistant.
I am HSE level 3 certified, would get nebosh by January.

A dextrous guitarist, a poet, a chef and many more.

Its all coming together to make me the best me I can be.

U too can be all u wanna be
its people like u I love to stay around wt, cos u hv acquired so many, u totally become a diff person in a very postive way. Dt means---------u cn fit in any field?? Wonderful!
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by bobolizim(m): 1:52pm On Dec 28, 2015
alpontif:

Dr woods?...inorganic chemistry. 2002/2003...those were the days.
more than one lecturers took it...its physical chemistry though
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by abimic(m): 1:53pm On Dec 28, 2015
I gained admission to study Petroleum Engineering in UNIBEN then, My first two Fs were In 200l, Engineering Mathematics having had beyond 4.47 on a scale of 5.0 in my first year, so I was gloomy that I wrote series of letters to the department of computer engineering in charge of our Mathematics then of which no adequate response was given. So I left it and one of the failed courses was a four credit load, in me, I knew it was impossible for me to fail Maths even in my dreams. So I wrote the two again the next session, which was more different than the one I wrote before and more complex, but due to the fact that Maths was more like a hobby to me, I had As in the two which I wasn't surprised though as I knew it can't be something less than an A in any Maths I sit for. But in the long run, done with school, done with service, it feels so good being an Engineer with good grades from school

1 Like

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by abimic(m): 1:55pm On Dec 28, 2015
I gained admission to study Petroleum Engineering in UNIBEN then, My first two Fs were In 200l, Engineering Mathematics having had beyond 4.47 on a scale of 5.0 in my first year, so I was gloomy that I wrote series of letters to the department of computer engineering in charge of our Mathematics then of which no adequate response was given. So I left it and one of the failed courses was a four credit load, in me, I knew it was impossible for me to fail Maths even in my dreams. So I wrote the two again the next session, which was more different than the one I wrote before and more complex, but due to the fact that Maths was more like a hobby to me, I had As in the two which I wasn't surprised though as I knew it can't be something less than an A in any Maths I sit for. But in the long run, done with school, done with service, it feels so good being an Engineer with good grades from school

1 Like

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by ThoniaSlim(f): 1:57pm On Dec 28, 2015
I never had an F. I got a C once an kept obsessing over it and trying to understand what I did to get a C till my American professor probably started avoiding me. sad
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by murphyibiam15(m): 2:00pm On Dec 28, 2015
Bbsharon:
My experience.

When I gained admision to oau I was very happy, but I wanted to do biological science and I was given chemistry. I was just happy I got the admission and nothing more. I didn't take my time to find out about the course so I found out the hard way In school. One thing I want jambites to pls do before resuming. Find out about your course of study and stop waiting for any orientation programme, you might not hear or pick anything from what they will say and that's if you attend the orientation programme self.

I had my first f in year one as an undergraduate and I tell you it was terrible. I cried my eyes out. I had f in a 5units course, i just stared at the result for long and couldn't believe it was my result.Bad enough it was pasted with name and matric no. Typical of mathematics department in oau. They have got no chills for anybody, is none of their business if you didn't offer further maths in your secondary school. They teach like it's a continuation from secondary school further maths. They jump steps and keep telling you am sure you have done this in secondary school.

Gosh, those days i felt like strangling them and mind you I was attending classes regularly but still failed so it was that terrible.
I immediately checked out my friends results too and they all passed, even the one that had an f made me feel bad, then I remembered that movie "3idiots" .

It wasn't easy telling people my pains then, some were just curious not like they care. And then you meet senior colleagues telling you stuffs like and this the simplest maths o, they killed my spirit the more. That f did a massive destruction on my gp.

I consoled myself tho after 2weeks and made up my mind to change my course immeditely. A decision many found strange, they kept reassuring me I can do better but I knew better than to listen to them. I know where my strength lies and have had enough of the push. My parents wanted me to become a doctor by force by fire which took my 3years of writing jamb without still getting it.So I decided to leave humbly witn my 3rd class just in year one before they show me the way out (road 1).

Immediately change of course form was out I obtained mine fast and am happy in my new department.

At the end is all about being fulfilled and happy in whatever field you find yourself.

Stop allowing people push you around to satisfy their own aims.Live your own life and stop existing only, have a say on your life. So many undergraduates today are studying a course cos their parents wanted them to or the society or even for their own selfish aims and then we have so many unhappy youth these days. Aim at being fulfilled and then you find happiness abundantly.

olawalebabs Fynestboi Richiez lalasticlala
Bbsharon i have read through your post and i most tell u that u are not alone here
before i share mine i will thank God am a medical doctor today first of all
mine is that i have never failed an exam before in my life...the first failure i encountered was wen i wrote my final exams in medical school....university of Nigeria to be precise(UNN)...in medical school there is always this wave that keep sweeping ppl.out of school right from 1st year and is not just one person but could reach up to 100 in a class of 200 persons assuming u fail all three courses in your 2nd mbbs or even if u fail two out of 3 u will have to repeat a class....infact u need to know the cruelty of medical school in Nigerian govt institutions(not private) but i still managed to escape all these.
to cut a long story short....i never experienced any single failure till in my final mbbs when our hod of surgery was provoked to anger by some students that have stayed up to 10years in school and he decided to set clinical exams that even resident doctors who followed to supervise the exam couldnt answer....and only few persons passed the exams....wen the result came out i looked at it several time to ensure i was seeing clearly and it couldnt still change it...now the worst is that ur mates are already answering doctors and talking about housemanship while u are still a student....my luck was that we usually write resit exams in 6months b4 but it was reduced to 3 months bc the new VC of UNN is a medical doctor and it was changed with ease
what i actually learnt in those period is that everybody is on his own and nobody tries to care about u if things are not going well for u except family members who always available.....serious i really thank God that it didnt consume me and right now am a better doctor....
my quote:outside God,you're on your own

1 Like

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by trustedward(m): 2:03pm On Dec 28, 2015
Greatest Uniben.......anybody who attended Uniben and studied Microbiology, Biochemistry or optometry can't forget BCH310,210 or 220 in a hurry. I rest my Case..
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by braine(m): 2:03pm On Dec 28, 2015
Never had an F.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by mamadsquare: 2:06pm On Dec 28, 2015
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Dec 28, 2015
j1mmy:

I will jump to conclusion pal, and I will also jump to conclusion that from your post you are also one of these olodo graduates.

An average Nigerian graduate is unemployable...unless perhaps in a typical backward Nigerian setup, that is why many have to fly abroad to get a masters degree to support their Nigerian degrees and then international companies can employ them.

A Chinese or Lebanese street mechanic has higher IQ than a Nigerian university trained graduate and that is why such a foreigner can be the boss and master of these Nigerian graduates. There are organisations employing Nigerian graduates who have attended UK and US for follow up degrees!

A Nigerian who attended 1st degree in university abroad brings better intelligence to the table than a Nigerian who has a PHD inside Nigeria!
It has been tested time and time again and it is still the current model. There are PHD holders in Nigeria who validate their degrees by going abroad to study a common post graduate certificate!!!!!!!

It is not necessarily the subjects and studying per say, it is to do with the mentality of Nigerians and their exposure within the primitive and backward setting of Nigeria!

I beg to disagree.
The average Chinese has a higher iq that the average Nigerian. That doesn't mean that EVERY CHINESE is more intelligent than the most intelligent Nigerian, rather an average nigerian PHD holder (of iq 130-140) is much more intelligent than an average chinese (iq~105).
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Idrismusty97(m): 2:11pm On Dec 28, 2015
My lowest grade is "D" and that's like an F to me. Especially when you have it on a 3 unit course.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Humilde: 2:12pm On Dec 28, 2015
I thanked GOD
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Adex097: 2:15pm On Dec 28, 2015
Yet to have an F after 2 sessions. In my year3 now, and I pray I won't see any. But to get F easy for Uniben now o shocked . 44-0 = F .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Rivers University Student Finds Rusted Zinc In The Food She Bought In The Hostel / Lady Shows Off Impressive Legwork Dance As She Graduates From University (video) / LASU College Of Medicine Management Throws Out Students’ Belongings From Hostels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.