Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,804 members, 7,820,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:21 PM

What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People (65604 Views)

Important Drums Of The Yoruba People / 5 Interesting Things About The Yoruba People / 15 Common Misconceptions About Yoruba People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by babyfaceafrica: 11:52am On Jan 01, 2016
sarutobie:

this doesn't even make sense, how can one prefer hard drugs to alcohol? how can a fermented grape juice ( also called wine) be more disgusting than nicotine? I don't get it..which is more natural of the two? oh well, to each his own.
he is very right...served with som of these people,the hardly take beer,but they weed a lot,take hard drugs and do shisha.....
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by ElekeNtioba: 11:54am On Jan 01, 2016
Setaje:
And before some idiots come to say they are cowards. Remember that before we became one Nigeria, yorubas have fought so many wars within themselves. War is never the answer to any question. Nothing as worthy as dialogue, diplomacy and respect of boundaries.

LMAO...which group in Nigeria has never experienced internal strife. is dat what should serve as a indication of bravery

How you respond in the face of aggression or attacks be it violence or civil disbodience is the criteria. Cowards perpetually hide under d toga of dialogue and diplomacy even when they are redundant.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by bellville: 11:55am On Jan 01, 2016
maximunimpact:
not so convinced on the religious angle, almost all top churches are founded by yoruba Christians.......
Don't be deceived. Even those pastors will attend family functions of their muslim relatives.

2 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Ijebulogic(m): 11:55am On Jan 01, 2016
Updated for 2016 - Ijebulogic :
"The saving grace in Nigeria's political split is the Yoruba. The tribe serves as a kind of political buffer, noisy but not explosive. As much as they relish escalating an inconsequential disagreement into a full-blown screaming match, the Yoruba are not stupid enough to die for man-made selfish political objectives. They were a most reluctant participant in the Biafra war - they managed to keep their economy buoyant whilst the more explosive tribes battled in vain to serve a few individuals misguided ambitions. Yorubas enjoy their beer, fine wine, cognac and champagne. Their motto which has guided their success in diplomacy, academia, politics and economics is...."Kini Big Deal"?

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by babyfaceafrica: 11:56am On Jan 01, 2016
ebig21:

Threatening him cos you are a mod. Nigerians cannot take criticism. Small power they go haywire, cant you argue with him normal. Sometimes it is good to come down from your stand and know how it feels to just be a commenter. Because sexkills was once a mod and no where to be found cos he used his power ultra vires.
Happy new year
she is no more a mod....and its more than 2 months..you seem no to notice,be more observant dude,and she was not just a mod...but a supermod just like lala...but that was then....where were you?..kwontinue

2 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by MXrep: 11:57am On Jan 01, 2016
Setaje:
And before some idiots come to say they are cowards. Remember that before we became one Nigeria, yorubas have fought so many wars within themselves. War is never the answer to any question. Nothing as worthy as dialogue, diplomacy and respect of boundaries.
what if dialogue fails, What ever happens to self defence. did u respect any boundary when u go to abuja to collect oil revenue??

1 Like

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 11:58am On Jan 01, 2016
ElekeNtioba:

u need to have a good history of yorubas to understand their cowardice. these same terrorized smaller and lesser-powerful kingdoms like dahomey bt when they came against d hausa/fulani an equal-sized empire they ran away.

They joined the Nigerian side during the civil war, ONLY when they were convinced Biafra is d weaker side and had little international support.

Ermmm... Where did you get your facts from?

Are you talking about the same Fulanis we fought against, chased from Oyo but decided to leave in Ilorin.

Dahomey? Try Ashantisad. To think that you consider Dahomey small, something must be wrong with **** *****. It was a kingdom, ****

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by babyfaceafrica: 11:59am On Jan 01, 2016
I have problem with generalisation...next time the English man should use lexical terms like some or a good number,just because some miscreants in SE are claiming biafra dos not mean all IGBOS are in support.....its well

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 11:59am On Jan 01, 2016
Ishilove:

”Ishioma, you're a disgrace, I swear” is not incendiary??

I come from the south-south of Nigeria, and so do you. This Nnamdi Kanu asked the Igbos in the east to attack the northerners. If this were to happen and their brethren in Lagos retaliate, I and my household and other innocent people will be lumped together with Igbos and attacked.

If rejoicing that the dangerous bufoon is incarcerated is a disgrace, then the disgrace is just beginning.

If you don't know how to express yourself without insults, I beg you, because of the relationship we have, DON'T QUOTE ME because I will not hold back when I'm dishing it out to you very hot.

My respect for you is gone.

5 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jan 01, 2016
MXrep:

Is that why u allowed Illorin to be taken, What ever happens to self defence
How is it of your business?

We decided not to pursue Ilorin. Simple!

1 Like

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by kaypetals(m): 12:01pm On Jan 01, 2016
scholes0:
Oh Well, what can I say ..... Two points from what the journalist said:

*1- Yorubas are not inclined to die in the name of any religion
*2- They blow inconsequential things out of proportion

Which is True or False?

Click Like if only #1 is correct.
Click Share if both are correct.

Your second point is not well phrased. He was specific on religion and he meant "inconsequential RELIGIOUS matters" and not neccesarily on all things.
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Diaryofnaija: 12:02pm On Jan 01, 2016
ebig21:

Threatening him cos you are a mod. Nigerians cannot take criticism. Small power they go haywire, cant you argue with him normal. Sometimes it is good to come down from your stand and know how it feels to just be a commenter. Because sexkills was once a mod and no where to be found cos he used his power ultra vires.
Happy new year

Thank you so much for this. That was how lalas... instead of moving my thread to front page went and created the exact same topic which he then proceeded to put on FrontPage, then deleted my comment when I called him out and blocked me. Running nairaland like dictators! I hope seun sees this comment

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Stanbeto: 12:02pm On Jan 01, 2016
Faaji ppl ni o
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by scholes0(m): 12:03pm On Jan 01, 2016
kaypetals:

Your second point is not well phrased. He was specific on religion and he meant "inconsequential RELIGIOUS matters" and not neccesarily on all things.

The guy said "Inconsequential disagreement"
Everything he said was even confusing jare..... But who cares
Yorubas are #Awesome.

3 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by pinkguy(m): 12:04pm On Jan 01, 2016
Setaje:
from the write point of view how sure u so called war was not little communal violent may u guys may its sound like war, u know its ur nature just like author wrote
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Aarenasbaba(m): 12:06pm On Jan 01, 2016
D writer is sick somehow
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by jstriker442(m): 12:07pm On Jan 01, 2016
Setaje:
ts complete COWARDICE.
''What better way can a man die apart from fighting for the land of his fathers and the temple of his god's ''

3 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by jstriker442(m): 12:07pm On Jan 01, 2016
Ishilove:

It isn't cowardice. Yoruba people are just more generally laid back than most people from other ethnic groups
ts complete COWARDICE

3 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by toprealman: 12:09pm On Jan 01, 2016
we say we are independent yet rejoice when a foreigner tells us rubbish about our country. smh

3 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by dragunov: 12:09pm On Jan 01, 2016
free2ryhme:
white man tells a bitter truth
There is nothing bitter about that dude. It was just hilarious that's all.
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jan 01, 2016
ElekeNtioba:

see this rag-head....u ar stalking me now. grin grin

dumbo...ilorin was d capital of oyo empire. go and learn your pple's history before quoting me again.
Stalking you? Who the hell are you?

I don't blame you. You should been aborted.

Imagine Ilorin capital of Oyo empireshocked

Your bigotry stong o

6 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by fireforfire: 12:11pm On Jan 01, 2016
Lol..... so does d summary of dis write up nean dey r cowards?
because d meaning go dt direction

1 Like

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jan 01, 2016
jstriker442:
ts complete COWARDICE.
''What better way can a man die apart from fighting for the land of his fathers and the temple of his god's ''

And end up losingsmiley his land and its peopletongue

If my ancestors have fought like that, there won't be Ibadan.

3 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by okedepare: 12:13pm On Jan 01, 2016
BobUg28:

Hi sir, good day. Been waiting fervently to see your recent comments so as to crave for your indulgence to join our group ;THE READERS CLUB on whatsapp.

We started this from literature section. And we have been sourcing for people of your kind all through the week.

Right now, we have successfully garnered like 20 members or there about from different African countries( though mostly from Nigeria)

I met you because I know how influential you are on Nairaland and I have been your follower for eons. Please do extend your hands of generosity to that end and help teach and train upcoming writers.

We can help subscribe your phone if you actually care for that but the point is that we truly need your presence sir.

Thanks.
I know a great writer who is not celebrated, he happens to be my brother.
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Kassidy90(m): 12:14pm On Jan 01, 2016
Well as for the religion part i concur even my extended family we have 70/30% of Muslim /Christian and we dint kill ourselves but blowing inconsequential thing out of proportion i think that is an individual thing not tribal...
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Olukat(m): 12:15pm On Jan 01, 2016
Sunofgod:
C.H.A.M.E.L.E.O.N.S . . . . .

Hahahahahahaha

2 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jan 01, 2016
LarrySun:
Was he praising or insulting the Yorubas? The so-called Whiteman can't even write in perfect English expressions. This shows that every race has its shortcomings.

Accuse the white man of not having coherent english writing and then you proceed to start a sentence with 'was' worst part is that english is not even your language and lastly, NO, not everything is an insult.

3 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by dragunov: 12:17pm On Jan 01, 2016
pinkguy:
from the write point of view how sure u so called war was not little communal violent may u guys may its sound like war, u know its ur nature just like author wrote
Little communal violence? With Calvary, spears, swords and later guns? And even cannons? You would just go to any length to prove Yoruba are cowards won't you.

4 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by ElekeNtioba: 12:17pm On Jan 01, 2016
daretodiffer:

Stalking you? Who the hell are you?

I don't blame you. You should been aborted.

Imagine Ilorin capital of Oyo empireshocked

Your bigotry stong o

i'm your worst nightmare grin grin

al salam alaykum, dumbo
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by maestroferddi: 12:17pm On Jan 01, 2016
Ishilove:

”Ishioma, you're a disgrace, I swear” is not incendiary??

I come from the south-south of Nigeria, and so do you. This Nnamdi Kanu asked the Igbos in the east to attack the northerners. If this were to happen and their brethren in Lagos retaliate, I and my household and other innocent people will be lumped together with Igbos and attacked.

If rejoicing that the dangerous bufoon is incarcerated is a disgrace, then the disgrace is just beginning.

If you don't know how to express yourself without insults, I beg you, because of the relationship we have, DON'T QUOTE ME because I will not hold back when I'm dishing it out to you very hot.
You appear to have a warped sense of self-importance.

I have been reading your serial abuses of the anonymity of the social media to cast gratuitous aspersions on anything Igbo.

What is even deplorable is your claim of some kind of quasi Igbo identity via an Igbo sounding name.

The Igbos will not continue to allow some people to take a semblance of a millstone contributing nothing other than working against the collective aspirations of the Igbo nation.

Nnamdi Kanu's diatribe and indiscretions have been condemned by most Nigerians, the Igbos inclusive. However, what is swept under the carpet are the subsisting issues that keep precipitating the likes of Kanu.

Granted that Kanu probably overreached himself, but are the socio-political issues being raised by him without merit? So the media blitz and propaganda to deflect attention from the germaine issues?

And what is exactly are you trying to achieve by drawing parallels between Kanu's utterances and sanguine reprisals from the rest of Nigeria?

Don't you think that your rash and impulsive views could be giving vent to those who have made a culture of the destruction of Igbo lives and properties even with little or no provocation?

When did the sundry combustible utterances being made by elements from the northern and virtually the rest of the country led to the threat of extermination of their kith and kin outside their homelands? Are the Igbos supposed to be living in this country as a second class citizens incapable of enjoying the inalienable rights enshrined in the laws of the land for fear of not offending tin gods or some sections of the country?

You tell me: are the Igbos supposed to remain subservient to mistreatment because other Igbos living outside Igboland would become cannon fodder to some undesirable elements at the slightest hint?

I suggest that you people should get a handle on the many shallow and ill-thought out comments you are wont to make on sensitive issues.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jan 01, 2016
Am a Yoruba man and I approve this message

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Oba of benin Erediauwa Visit The Ooni Of Ife On His Ascension To The Throne / Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi At Gabriel Igbinedion 85th Birthday (Photos) / I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.