Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,595 members, 7,820,135 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People (65595 Views)

Important Drums Of The Yoruba People / 5 Interesting Things About The Yoruba People / 15 Common Misconceptions About Yoruba People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by wristbangle: 12:17pm On Jan 01, 2016
What the white man is trying to say is that the Yorubas are peacemaker people. They can brag/bluff during a misunderstanding but they don't take cruel action on time/abruptly.

The only time you will see the yorubas fighting sporadically is when their territories are threatened to be overtaken by another tribe just like the case of the civil war in 1967 (Ija Ore).

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by oluamid(m): 12:18pm On Jan 01, 2016
kaycii1:

ok if u dont kno i will help u

COWARDICE: fear or lack of courage!

The Yorubas you are quick to whitewash have a saying:

"Omode ko de ibi eru ni eru oo ba"

If you don't understand Yoruba ask someone who does to interpret.

2 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by ohenhen1: 12:18pm On Jan 01, 2016
Typical western press nonsense.
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Lionofdjungle: 12:19pm On Jan 01, 2016
Although I'm a Yoruba man, I totally agree with the white man. There wouldn't have been any country like Nigeria again if not for the Yorubas. They reason and try to strike the balance. They are never extremists. I'm proud to be one.

20 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jan 01, 2016
ElekeNtioba:

i'm your worst nightmare grin grin

al salam alaykum, dumbo

If your father na im born u, tell me who you are

Coward!

2 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Diaryofnaija: 12:20pm On Jan 01, 2016
daretodiffer:

How is it of your business?

We decided not to pursue Ilorin. Simple!

the Nupes did conquer Oyo and occupied It for some 80 years after which the yorubas defeated them and reclaimed it.

1 Like

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by cosby02(m): 12:20pm On Jan 01, 2016
ElekeNtioba:

u need to have a good history of yorubas to understand their cowardice. these same people terrorized smaller and lesser-powerful kingdoms like dahomey bt when they came up against d hausa/fulani - an equal-sized empire - they ran away.

They joined the Nigerian side during the civil war, ONLY when they were convinced Biafra is d weaker side and had little international support.

Choice, decision and stance are not synonymous to cowardice.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by omooba969(m): 12:20pm On Jan 01, 2016
sarutobie:

this doesn't even make sense, how can one prefer hard drugs to alcohol? how can a fermented grape juice ( also called wine) be more disgusting than nicotine? I don't get it..which is more natural of the two? oh well, to each his own.

Guy, alcohol is more deadly than weed as study shows & weed doesn't contain nicotine but cigarette does, therefore I see the need for you to update your knowledge more frequently.

This could be help to you though...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/weed-is-114-times-less-deadly-than-alcohol-study-finds-10066496.html
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jan 01, 2016
ElekeNtioba:

i'm your worst nightmare grin grin

al salam alaykum, dumbo

Guess what!

I didn't figure you out until I went through your postssad

You were idiot I was planning to bomb, don't worry I am going to add your momma and papa to the listcheesy

See you in the other side!

1 Like

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:22pm On Jan 01, 2016
LarrySun:
Was he praising or insulting the Yorubas? The so-called Whiteman can't even write in perfect English expressions. This shows that every race has its shortcomings.
Is every whiteman from an English-speaking country?

2 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by cosby02(m): 12:23pm On Jan 01, 2016
nightmile:

If a nation is reluctant to participate in a war does not mean she will be defeated at the war front. Yorubas still burst the ass of the bia bia coward from cocaine republic before he escaping to Drogba's village. The coward is dead and EBORA is still bouncing like a bouncer .
grin grin grin
Bebe shi n lo... Ko duro rara

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by ElekeNtioba: 12:24pm On Jan 01, 2016
bettercreature:
Yoruba is capable of winning any war without firing a Shot,During the biafra war,Yoruba actually brought the idea of changing the Nigerian currency and cut food supply to the east which actually lead to the deadly starvation and genocide in south east.THE MAJOR REASON OJUKWU SURRENDERED,We are no coward! we are just more superior mentally to other tribes

where was ur mental superiority when moshood abiola was rotting in jail like a common criminal for more than 5 years??

[size=14pt] “Those who lack courage will always find a philosophy to justify it.” ― Albert Camus[/size]

6 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by nwakibie3(m): 12:24pm On Jan 01, 2016
Bitter truth
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by cosby02(m): 12:24pm On Jan 01, 2016
Yanks101:
Btw, why did the Yoruba nation capitulated so easily to colonialism in southern Nigeria?.
Even minority ethnics posed greater resistance to the eradication of their way of life by foreign invaders.
So what did their resistance offer them

3 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jan 01, 2016
Diaryofnaija:
the Nupes did conquer Oyo and occupied It for some 80 years after which the yorubas defeated them and reclaimed it.

Another bigoted historical ‘fact'sad

I have heard that BS before and it is still what it is, BS!

4 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by cosby02(m): 12:25pm On Jan 01, 2016
ElekeNtioba:

where was ur mental superiority when moshood abiola rotted in jail like a common criminal for over 5 years??

[size=14pt]“Those who lack the courage will always find a philosophy to justify it.” ― Albert Camus[/size]
And Namadi Kanu is rotting grin

1 Like

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 01, 2016
LarrySun:
He was called an American journalist.
okay. I missed out that part. I just read the article again, and there was no grammatical error in the article. All punctuations were also perfectly used. There were no comma splice, or run-on sentences.

2 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by yapapa: 12:29pm On Jan 01, 2016
fireforfire:
Lol..... so does d summary of dis write up nean dey r cowards?
because d meaning go dt direction
it means not only they are more wise but a lot clever as well..one of the reasons they are always steps ahead.

2 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by bettercreature(m): 12:29pm On Jan 01, 2016
ElekeNtioba:

where was ur mental superiority when moshood abiola was rotting in jail like a common criminal for more than 5 years??

[size=14pt] “Those who lack the courage will always find a philosophy to justify it.” ― Albert Camus[/size]
Atleast he stood up against one of the deadliest dictator in the world while your people were nowhere to be found

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Diaryofnaija: 12:30pm On Jan 01, 2016
daretodiffer:

Another bigoted historical ‘fact'sad

I have heard that BS before and it is still what it is, BS!

Lol. Ok
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by omenka(m): 12:31pm On Jan 01, 2016
Ishilove:

Lol. Larry, you are more concerned about the man's grammatical dexterity than any other thing. That's why i just love you, because we are so similar cheesy
Got your Diary mention. Thanks. Wishing you an awesome year of mind blowing exploits. God bless you.

@post: the only thing I could deduce from the statement is: Wisdom.

God bless the Yoruba people.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jan 01, 2016
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Diaryofnaija: 12:32pm On Jan 01, 2016
saxywale:

okay. I missed out that part. I just read the article again, and there was no grammatical error in the article. All punctuations were also perfectly used. There were no comma splice, or run-on sentences.

Exactly my point when I asked the professor which part is incorrect
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jan 01, 2016
Yanks101:
Cowardice is a relative term. Most ethnics in africa also fought intra-tribal wars. No big deal.
The fact that they fought themselves does not mean they have the courage to go to war with another major ethnic. grin
The Yoruba's conquered kingdom as far as Ghana, and repelled jihadist from the North. What kingdom did your own tribe conquer?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jan 01, 2016
I have warned my Igbo friends to stop agitating for Biafra as if they are ready for another war, if we can't achieve it through dialogue then it's not meant to be .

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by ogahomale: 12:34pm On Jan 01, 2016
Very on point
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by cbrass(m): 12:36pm On Jan 01, 2016
ElekeNtioba:

u need to have a good history of yorubas to understand their cowardice. these same people terrorized smaller and lesser-powerful kingdoms like dahomey bt when they came up against d hausa/fulani - an equal-sized empire - they ran away.

They joined the Nigerian side during the civil war, ONLY when they were convinced Biafra is d weaker side and had little international support.

Chai.. see how warped your thinking is. If I may ask wetin yoruba ppl do you guys sef

3 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Yanks101: 12:36pm On Jan 01, 2016
saxywale:

The Yoruba's conquered kingdom as far as Ghana, and repelled jihadist from the North. What kingdom did your own tribe conquer?
And yet you were beaten black and blue by women from benin republic.
Repelled jihadists? grin Don't let the emir of kwara hear that.
There are no islamic heritage in my homeland. That is what it means to repel jihardists.

3 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by lezz(m): 12:36pm On Jan 01, 2016
LarrySun:
Was he praising or insulting the Yorubas? The so-called Whiteman can't even write in perfect English expressions. This shows that every race has its shortcomings.
Dude, the diction and phrasing by the journalist is masterpiece, elite in any class.

I don't endorse tribal bashings of any sort but what is written is a veiled diatribe, euphemized by clever placing of words to soften the verbal blows. I call it social diplomatic bashing.

If nairaland installed an active anti spam bot for auto deletion of insults, that bashing will pass undetected.

2 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by 4everGrand(m): 12:38pm On Jan 01, 2016
MorrowCaligari:

Hardly. Mostly prefer weed to alcohol as we find alcohol to be the most disgusting and primitive substance.

Spot on! Those guys can weed, choi!
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by chebeoc(m): 12:39pm On Jan 01, 2016
Yes, Garage Touts are the right group of people to be used in characterising a group as large as the Yorubas.....
Because Ishilove said so

^^^^

But you'll use less than 100,000 Ipod youths to judge more than 40 millions Igbos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Oba of benin Erediauwa Visit The Ooni Of Ife On His Ascension To The Throne / Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi At Gabriel Igbinedion 85th Birthday (Photos) / I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.