Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,932 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People (65610 Views)

Important Drums Of The Yoruba People / 5 Interesting Things About The Yoruba People / 15 Common Misconceptions About Yoruba People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jan 01, 2016
wristbangle:
What the white man is trying to say is that the Yorubas are peacemaker people. They can brag/bluff during a misunderstanding but they don't take cruel action on time/abruptly.

The only time you will see the yorubas fighting sporadically is when their territories are threatened to be overtaken by another tribe just like the case of the civil war in 1967 (Ore).
Very true. I spent almost 2 decades of my life amongst Yoruba people, they are not inclined to fight.
Though they can do much braggado o, they can make lots of noise grin, but violence isn't really their thing especially the enlightened ones amongst them. What I noticed is, people that have wrong opinion about Yoruba people_ probably never stayed amongst them or they encountered the wrong set. Every tribe sure has black sheeps...

6 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by jonnieoneng: 1:19pm On Jan 01, 2016
uboma:

I admire your sense of humour.

From your moniker, its pretty obvious that you are from the Western part of Nigeria but you took the post lightly unlike others from the same region as you.

you are so ......%?$@&#?$+/$$@&#*?,;:%%@&&;*@
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Ishilove: 1:25pm On Jan 01, 2016
maestroferddi:
You appear to have a warped sense of self-importance.

I have been reading your serial abuses of the anonymity of the social media to cast gratuitous aspersions on anything Igbo.

What is even deplorable is your claim of some kind of quasi Igbo identity via an Igbo sounding name.

The Igbos will not continue to allow some people to take a semblance of a millstone contributing nothing other than working against the collective aspirations of the Igbo nation.

Nnamdi Kanu's diatribe and indiscretions have been condemned by most Nigerians, the Igbos inclusive. However, what is swept under the carpet are the subsisting issues that keep precipitating the likes of Kanu.

Granted that Kanu probably overreached himself, but are the socio-political issues being raised by him without merit? So the media blitz and propaganda to deflect attention from the germaine issues?

And what is exactly are you trying to achieve by drawing parallels between Kanu's utterances and sanguine reprisals from the rest of Nigeria?

Don't you think that your rash and impulsive views could be giving vent to those who have made a culture of the destruction of Igbo lives and properties even with little or no provocation?

When did the sundry combustible utterances being made by elements from the northern and virtually the rest of the country led to the threat of extermination of their kith and kin outside their homelands? Are the Igbos supposed to be living in this country as a second class citizens incapable of enjoying the inalienable rights enshrined in the laws of the land for fear of not offending tin gods or some sections of the country?

You tell me: are the Igbos supposed to remain subservient to mistreatment because other Igbos living outside Igboland would become cannon fodder to some undesirable elements at the slightest hint?

I suggest that you people should get a handle on the many shallow and ill-thought out comments you are wont to make on sensitive issues.
Wow... shocked shocked

I like ya grama o. I didn't read your epistle because I got carried away by your good command of grammer and syntax cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by wristbangle: 1:27pm On Jan 01, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

Very true. I spent almost 2 decades of my life amongst Yoruba people, they are not inclined to fight.
Though they can do much braggado o, they can make lots of noise grin, but violence isn't really their thing especially the enlightened ones amongst them. What I noticed is, people that have wrong opinion about Yoruba people_ probably never stayed amongst them or they encountered the wrong set. Every tribe sure has black sheeps...

No mind us especially those agberos.

Tunde: ma wo saliu sa, ma fo ori e. (Look at that saliu guy, I will break his head)

Saliu: pulling clothes, wristwatch, necklace, shoe, remaining boxer alone: Tunde se e mi lo n ba soro; are u talking to me tunde?

Next thing.

Tunde and saliu exchanging blow from 5km distance gringrin. Abeg how 5km flexing fist wan take hit their head? cheesy

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by sarutobie(m): 1:27pm On Jan 01, 2016
omooba969:

Guy, alcohol is more deadly than weed as study shows & weed doesn't contain nicotine but cigarette does, therefore I see the need for you to update your knowledge more frequently.

This could be help to you though...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/weed-is-114-times-less-deadly-than-alcohol-study-finds-10066496.html
I wasn't comparing just weed to alcohol. I said "hard drugs"..go to bauchi and see a lot of religious folks who don't drink alcohol but they will sniff everything from crack to even common glue! I call it hypocrisy...fermented grape juice is not deadly (at least not in the sense you put it)..even fermented palmwine is alcoholic. goodluck proving how weed is better than palmwine.
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Ishilove: 1:27pm On Jan 01, 2016
Sorbitalll:

My respect for you is gone.
I'm seriously pondering why I should give a fvck...

5 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jan 01, 2016
BobUg28:

Hi sir, good day. Been waiting fervently to see your recent comments so as to crave for your indulgence to join our group ;THE READERS CLUB on whatsapp.

We started this from literature section. And we have been sourcing for people of your kind all through the week.

Right now, we have successfully garnered like 20 members or there about from different African countries( though mostly from Nigeria)

I met you because I know how influential you are on Nairaland and I have been your follower for eons. Please do extend your hands of generosity to that end and help teach and train upcoming writers.

We can help subscribe your phone if you actually care for that but the point is that we truly need your presence sir.

Thanks.
Can I join the group please? I am not perfect, I am not a good writer, but I am willing to learn from you guys.

Please do well to add me, my phone number is 07033377498.
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Ishilove: 1:29pm On Jan 01, 2016
repogirl:
I just came to laugh also. cheesy

Ishilove, happy new year to you dear, I wish you the best this new year. Love, blessings and fulfilment this new year. Amen.
Saw your mention earlier.
Amen ma. I saw your pic on facebook. You are soooooo pretty cheesy

1 Like

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by BishopMagic: 1:29pm On Jan 01, 2016
All mouth , no action

lol
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Ishilove: 1:31pm On Jan 01, 2016
isacolukay:

Does that matter? Ur friendship to a Yoruba lady is a personal thing that is inconsequential on nairaland. Inasmuch as you might not have the intention of hurling insults, you successfully made the Yoruba race an object of ridicule by opening this thread.

No thanks.

In any case, Happy Nu Year!
Y'all are too sensitive. Seriously

Happy new year to you too
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by emerged01(m): 1:31pm On Jan 01, 2016
lezz:
Dude, the diction and phrasing by the journalist is masterpiece, elite in any class.

I don't endorse tribal bashings of any sort but what is written is a veiled diatribe, euphemized by clever placing of words to soften the verbal blows. I call it social diplomatic bashing.

If nairaland installed an active anti spam bolt for auto deletion of insults, that bashing will pass undetected.

I don't see it as insult. He stated the fact. Calling somebody his name even when you know the name doesn't sound well is not an insult.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by oluamid(m): 1:33pm On Jan 01, 2016
wristbangle:

Tunde: ma wo saliu sa, ma fo ori e. (Look at that saliu guy, I will break his head)

Saliu: pulling clothes, wristwatch, necklace, shoe, remaining boxer alone: Tunde se e mi lo n ba soro; are u talking to me tunde?

Next thing.

Tunde and saliu exchanging blow from 5km distance gringrin. Abeg how 5km flexing fist wan take hit their head? cheesy

Lol. You just capture what I see every other day at the bus park near my home.

The agbero guys are real drama queens.

2 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Ishilove: 1:36pm On Jan 01, 2016
ariesbull:

The oyibo said the truth

If u say it here suen and his co travelers will term it tribalistic

Happy new year
Pure, undiluted truth, sir. I was born and raised in Lagos, so I've lived all my life with Yorubas. Even where I live, my father is the only non-Yoruba landlord, yet it doesn't in any way diminish our relationship. I agree with Mr Blaine because these are traits I have observed over the years.

'Noisy but not explosive'. That got me spraying laughter all over the place cheesy

1 Like

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Ishilove: 1:38pm On Jan 01, 2016
wristbangle:

Next thing.

Buhahahahahahahaha!! cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Ishilove: 1:39pm On Jan 01, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

My sister, GBAM!! cheesy

1 Like

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jan 01, 2016
I am yoruba and ive bn saying what this guy said, for a long time now. Its the truth. I really hope we would form our own country.

I pray we achieve what we need to stand on our own and leave the extremist igbos & hausas to finish off themselves. When we have more to gain leaving Nigeria than staying, dts when we will leave.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Ishilove: 1:41pm On Jan 01, 2016
wristbangle:
What the white man is trying to say is that the Yorubas are peacemaker people. They can brag/bluff during a misunderstanding but they don't take cruel action on time/abruptly.

The only time you will see the yorubas fighting sporadically is when their territories are threatened to be overtaken by another tribe just like the case of the civil war in 1967 (Ija Ore).
You are correct. They are generally very peaceful so the journalist is very correct. Those screaming 'insults' either have no sense of humour or have inferiority complex.

2 Likes

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by maestroferddi: 1:42pm On Jan 01, 2016
Ishilove:

Wow... shocked shocked

I like ya grama o. I didn't read your epistle because I got carried away by your good command of grammer and syntax cheesy cheesy
Please read the piece.

We all learning...
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Ishilove: 1:43pm On Jan 01, 2016
maestroferddi:
Please read the piece.

We all learning...
I was just kidding. Of course I read it, but I, unlike you, have a huge sense of humour.

1 Like

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by ElekeNtioba: 1:44pm On Jan 01, 2016
daretodiffer:

Guess what!

I didn't figure you out until I went through your postssad

You were idiot I was planning to bomb, don't worry I am going to add your momma and papa to the listcheesy

See you in the other side!

sorry i'd pass. enjoy the gang-bangging tho by 72 virgin boys.

dumb rag-head.
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Lasese: 1:47pm On Jan 01, 2016
Una don finish us... No yourbas!
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by LarrySun(m): 1:49pm On Jan 01, 2016
ZUBY77:

Mr. Larry, i didn't expect the last two sentences from you.
Tell me, sir, what did you expect? And what's wrong with the last two sentences?
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Dexema(m): 1:50pm On Jan 01, 2016
daretodiffer:

Ermmm... Where did you get your facts from?

Are you talking about the same Fulanis we fought against, chased from Oyo but decided to leave in Ilorin.

Dahomey? Try Ashantisad. To think that you consider Dahomey small, something must be wrong with **** *****. It was a kingdom, ****
u seem to have a confident handle on west african history...something not really popular.
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by maestroferddi: 1:51pm On Jan 01, 2016
Ishilove:

I was just kidding. Of course I read it, but I, unlike you, have a huge sense of humour.
You are then getting it twisted.

Talk about there being time for everything.

A time for humour and a time to make corrections and even internalise learning points.

1 Like

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by justmenoni: 1:52pm On Jan 01, 2016
Must every white/yellow/pink person speak English
Drchristian:
who's d white woman? who will translate this to Nigerian english 4 me to understand.
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by ElekeNtioba: 1:53pm On Jan 01, 2016
janellemonae:
I am yoruba and ive bn saying what this guy said, for a long time now. Its the truth. I really hope we would form our own country.

I pray we achieve what we need to stand on our own and leave the extremist igbos & hausas to finish off themselves. When we have more to gain leaving Nigeria than staying, dts when we will leave.

on behalf of every sentient being who love freedom...i hope so too.
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Gamesmart: 1:56pm On Jan 01, 2016
kaycii1:

ok if u dont kno i will help u

COWARDICE: fear or lack of courage!

So which tribe in Nigeria has more courage than the Yoruba tribe?
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by jonnieoneng: 1:58pm On Jan 01, 2016
oluamid:

A lot of people need to read A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) books to realise that many times, tact will win a war where strength fails. A simple analogy is why a small man like Tyrion Lannister (despite all the people who want him dead) is still alive when strong men like the Mountain, Oberyn Martel, Kahl Drogo are dead. 99 times in 100, a wise man will survive a conflict where millions of strong men have lost their lives.

A lot of Nigerians confuse tact with cowardice.

You are in the spirit my brother.I am a trained Martial Artist.People who haven't witnessed an ordinary riot are forming Black Scorpion.I have read history books and seen where 50,000 men defeated 500,000{Alexander the Great}.Yoruba's will never fight a battle without being adequately prepared.That isn't cowardice,it is wisdom.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Ishilove: 1:59pm On Jan 01, 2016
maestroferddi:
You are then getting it twisted.

Talk about there being time for everything.

A time for humour and a time to make corrections and even internalise learning points.
Yes, you are right, but I also choose when to be humorous and when to be sober.

I choose to laugh. The time for sober reflections is not yet here.
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Gamesmart: 1:59pm On Jan 01, 2016
Keneking:
Anyway, Yoruba's are doing well.

If I say what is on mind, we might be banned for one night grin

+ at the motor park, if you see some of them in contest, all you notice is ...wristwatch is pulled, shirt, belt and shoes are removed and they run in circles with their opponent/opppsition.

+ the first punch is a slap not blow.

+ followed by noise

+ then one runs to get bottle

+ the other runs to get plank

+ the rest is noise, noise and too weak to fight for their rights.

So in your world, bottling each other is fighting for your rights?
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jan 01, 2016
jomoh:

Easterners were not known in history to form societies. They prefer to live in isolation.

The four major and popular cult groups in Nigerian institutions started from the west.

Pirate Confraternity started from the University of Ibadan by Wole Soyinka

Buccaneer Confraternity broke away from the Pirate confraternity also from the University of Ibadan

Eye Confraternity carries a typical Yoruba name meaning "bird".

Aiye/Ake/Axe also carries a Yoruba name.

Can you tell us a major cult group that has its roots in the eastern part of the country and the year it started.

Before all these cult groups, Yorubas used to have the Ogboni Local Confraternity and many more.

"Ogun odun ti Aja ti n se ile Igbo ni obo yin wa" (decades after the dog has being a domesticated animal monkeys were still roaming the jungle)

We have being there(wars and battles) and we've seen it all. It never settles anything.

But only a fool will keep going to a war he can never win just to prove his "bravery".

My point?
While Port Harcourt was having street cult groups (debam, dey well and the likes)
pulling hits, burning blocks, Lagos was peaceful and quiet.

The man die woman born another attitude is not a thing you see daily in Lagos.

In fact most of the ''wahala'' were not by the Yoruba boys. They were mainly from guys of Delta Origin and Ibo origin who speak Yoruba.
Back in School, Enforcers, Amoury and Purse where also chosen based on bravey. If you know an XYZ ask him.
They were hardly given to Yoruba boys. I am not saying they were all weak. But the Delta, Bini/Esan, Bayelsa, Rivers boys were known brave hearts.
My observations are not universal. I speak from my own experience.

While the Ogoni confraternity is well known, groups like these (king maker groups) are common even in the Riverine area I come from. However, ogboni is very popular. A lot. So much so it spread from Binis to Yoruba and all through the south west and South east today. There are conclaves.

Compare Soyinka's Pirates and what cult groups became from the mid 90s to early mid 2000s-It shocked even Shoyinka.

Like the guys from ,MI-5/MI-6 Said about James bond. If he appeared today in MI-5/MI-6 he would be given a desk and wont even be allowed on the field. All that hard man stuff is bullshit today. Smarter people can take you down before brute strength.

Anyway let us not celebrate violence.
Re: What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People by dayotheone(m): 2:01pm On Jan 01, 2016
Ishilove:
I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this cheesy cheesy

http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2004/aug/031.html

https://twitter.com/toluogunlesi/status/682164417199517696

as much as they enjoy the full intensity of an unimportant disagreement into full blown screaming match, the Yoruba are not motivated to die in the name of religion. they were the most "not eager" participant in the biafra war.
Yoruba muslims enjoy their beer while Yoruba Christians set no "guniness world" record for church attendance...

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Oba of benin Erediauwa Visit The Ooni Of Ife On His Ascension To The Throne / Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi At Gabriel Igbinedion 85th Birthday (Photos) / I Am 'Osu', My Girlfriend's Parents Rejected Me Because Of That - Man Reveals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.