Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,409 members, 7,836,640 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? (20299 Views)

Does A Good God Want Me In A Bad Marriage? / Photos : Meet The Little Boy Who Is Worshiped And Thought To Be A Hindu God In I / God You Are So Good, God You Are Kind, God You Are Wonderful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by Kay17: 11:42pm On Jan 07, 2016
winner01:
You wish i made such suggestions.
The Bible is fixed, even throughout the years science thought it "disproved" it by asserting that the universe had no begining. It was still fixed, till science found out that there was a begining.

Scientific findings confirms the truth contained in the scriptures, the scriptures is not a fill for a gap.

You mean the same Science that gets things wrong, confirms biblical claims?!
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by dalaman: 11:50pm On Jan 07, 2016
winner01:
You wish i made such suggestions.
The Bible is fixed, even throughout the years science thought it "disproved" it by asserting that the universe had no begining. It was still fixed, till science found out that there was a begining.

Scientific findings confirms the truth contained in the scriptures, the scriptures is not a fill for a gap.

Where does the bible state that the universe had a beginning?
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by cloudgoddess(f): 11:52pm On Jan 07, 2016
Jeromejnr:

Fret not O faithless one!

Deluded, deluded! Everyone claims to not be deluded. So who's right?

Btw, Cult just means a group that shares a belief. So yea we are all cult members. Everyone in d world belongs to a cult. Including u. wink
"cult
kəlt/\
noun
a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
formal religious veneration : worship
a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents"

yeah, no. nice try though.
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by dalaman: 11:52pm On Jan 07, 2016
winner01:
Lol, unlike most people here, im just starting my Phd.
I dont get facts from google or the internet.
Its what you people do and then you call yourselves scientists overnight.
A guy who hasnt even gained admission to uni. was calling himself a scientist simply because he copies articles from science sites and post them on nairaland science section

You were quick to let me know the possible places i can get facts, just like you usually do. As a matter of fact google will give you anything you seek..
You may try to type " obama is satan" and see what im saying.

kingebukasblog, see what ive been telling you.
Most of these people are internet bred students and dont even have the slightest formal education on science or philosophy

Stop belittling the internet and Google. There is more knowledge to be found and gained on the internet than all the Nigerian universities put together and I seriously mean it.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by winner01(m): 11:54pm On Jan 07, 2016
cloudgoddess:

sigh. you are just making up crap. 99% of scientists worldwide have reached a concensus on evolution. WORLD WIDE. search "evolution" on pubmed and you will see hundreds of thousands of independent studies from chinese, german, american, japanese scientists, supporting evolution. but you won't search it up because you are so convinced in believe the false world you have created for yourself. okay, keep doing that. but stop spouting lies, its so frustrating, and an insult to the people around the world who study this stuff every day.

and no we do not trust everything on the internet. there is such a thing as reputable sources. pubmed, websites from reknowned universities like harvard and princeton, national geographic, etc - these are reputable sources that all contain information in full support of evolution. or do you think they are all liars?

you dont have to be a professional scientist to understand evolution (or any topic for that matter) and for you to assume that shows how childish your way of thinking is. anyone can go to a library or look at trustworthy online sources for information, and learn things. maybe you should try it some time.
In the 19th-20th century, all available evidence pointed to the facts of an "infinte universe" with no begining. Majority of the world renowned scientists reached this consensus and passed it on as facts, articles were written and approved.
We know better today.
You need to understand what a theory is before you start saying some people reached a concensus.
More mind blowing discoveries will rubbish the discoveries of today in the nearest future no matter todays agreement.

Its why Sir Ambrose flemming said ; All scientific findings seem to be made only for the purpose of confirming more and more the truth contained in the scriptires.

Why not keep your minds open, atheist wink

I can decide to compound your woes by asking you how life itself began before it evolved, then you can go to your sites and copy abiogenesis for me and then we can have a good laugh.

The more you look, the less you see. Its our world. A perfectly designed world, not just the product of a completely random chaotic explosion magically rearranging things into order like the atheist believes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by cloudgoddess(f): 11:55pm On Jan 07, 2016
winner01:
You are refusing to see my answer.

"God never promised a world free of suffering, He only promised to walk with us through thick and thin if we trust in Him."

God never promised a world free of hunger, poverty, pain or anything. The children and other people alike are victims of a fallen world. Look, you or anybody didnt choose to be created, but you can choose to live and have life or blame all you want.
I wonder why you dont blame life for existing since you believe there is no God.

As for people who are suffering, We can help them to prosper, be in good health and offer them soul prosperity. You can rise and help them rise.
wow. you still did not answer me. i am not asking you why there is pain in the world.

i am simply asking you this: WHY IS GOD BLESSING SOME PEOPLE AND NOT OTHERS. why are some people PROSPERING and other innocent people PERISHING even though they too are praying. WHY IS GOD ONLY CHOOSING TO BLESS SOME PEOPLE. HOW DOES HE CHOOSE WHO HE WANTS TO "BLESS" AND WHO HE WANTS TO LEAVE HANGING.

I don't think you're going to answer me directly no matter how many times I type it.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by winner01(m): 11:59pm On Jan 07, 2016
Kay17:

I define Evil just in the sense you used it. In the sense you meant.
Naah, the bible defines evil in a sense different from an atheist.
Evil is a construct of a society to an atheist.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by Jeromejnr(m): 11:59pm On Jan 07, 2016
cloudgoddess:

"cult
kəlt/\
noun
a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
formal religious veneration : worship
a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents"

yeah, no. nice try though.

Glad you did your homework.

Behold!

/kʌlt/
noun (plural cults)

Cult: A group of people with a religious, philosophical or cultural identity sometimes viewed as a sect, often existing on the margins of society or exploitative towards its members.

Nice try too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by dalaman: 11:59pm On Jan 07, 2016
winner01:
In the 19th-20th century, all available evidence pointed to the facts of an "infinte universe" with no begining. Majority of the world renowned scientists reached this consensus and passed it on as facts, articles were written and approved.
We know better today.
You need to understand what a theory is before you start saying some people reached a concensus.
More mind blowing discoveries will rubbish the discoveries of today in the nearest future no matter todays agreement.

Its why Sir Ambrose flemming said ; All scientific findings seem to be made only for the purpose of confirming more and more the truth contained in the scriptires.

I can decide to compound your woes by asking you how life itself began before it evolved, then you can go to your sites and copy abiogenesis for me and then we can have a good laugh.

The more you look, the less you see. Its our world. A perfectly designed world, not just the product of a completely random chaotic explosion magically rearranging things into order like the atheist believes.

Two questions. What are earthquakes and hurricanes perfectly designed for? What about the asteroid belt in our solar system and and deadly mutations that causes deformity, what were they perfectly designed for?

What are the scientific findings that have been confirmed by the bible? I've asked you but you keep running away from it? Please tell

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by winner01(m): 12:02am On Jan 08, 2016
Kay17:

Science get things wrong and corrects itself to allign with the scriptures.
You are only trying to create a non existent gulf between science and christianity. Scientific facts, I mean facts not guesses cannot and will never disprove the word of God.
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by cloudgoddess(f): 12:04am On Jan 08, 2016
winner01:
We know better today.

not the theory argument again. sigh. an excerpt from berkley explaining the meaning of a SCIENTIFIC theory:
"Occasionally, scientific ideas (such as biological evolution) are written off with the putdown "it's just a theory." This slur is misleading and conflates two separate meanings of the word theory: in common usage, the word theory means just a hunch, but in science, a theory is a powerful explanation for a broad set of observations. To be accepted by the scientific community, a theory (in the scientific sense of the word) must be strongly supported by many different lines of evidence. So biological evolution is a theory (it is a well-supported, widely accepted, and powerful explanation for the diversity of life on Earth), but it is not "just" a theory.

Words with both technical and everyday meanings often cause confusion. Even scientists sometimes use the word theory when they really mean hypothesis or even just a hunch. Many technical fields have similar vocabulary problems — for example, both the terms work in physics and ego in psychology have specific meanings in their technical fields that differ from their common uses. However, context and a little background knowledge are usually sufficient to figure out which meaning is intended."

Here is the web page for evolutionary biology at Princeton, the number 6 most prestigious university in the world:
http://molbio.princeton.edu/faculty/research/evolution

Here is Harvard's page (#1 university in the world):
http://www.oeb.harvard.edu/

Here is the University of Cambridge (#5 most prestigious university in the world):
http://www.human-evol.cam.ac.uk/

Here is the pubmed page, a collection of over 400,000 peer-reviewed research writeups on discoveries & experiments supporting evolution:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=evolution

Have fun telling all those people they are liars and all of their findings are false smiley

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by Jeromejnr(m): 12:04am On Jan 08, 2016
cloudgoddess:

wow. you still did not answer me. i am not asking you why there is pain in the world.

i am simply asking you this: WHY IS GOD BLESSING SOME PEOPLE AND NOT OTHERS. why are some people PROSPERING and other innocent people PERISHING even though they too are praying. WHY IS GOD ONLY CHOOSING TO BLESS SOME PEOPLE. HOW DOES HE CHOOSE WHO HE WANTS TO "BLESS" AND WHO HE WANTS TO LEAVE HANGING.

I don't think you're going to answer me directly no matter how many times I type it.

Simple Answer:

Heb 11:6- But without faith [it is] impossible to please [him]: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and [that] he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

James 1: 5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all [men] liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

James 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by Kay17: 12:08am On Jan 08, 2016
winner01:
Naah, the bible defines evil in a sense different from an atheist.
Evil is a construct of a society to an atheist.

But in your moral Universe, does God commit evil?
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by cloudgoddess(f): 12:09am On Jan 08, 2016
Jeromejnr:

Simple Answer:

Heb 11:6- But without faith [it is] impossible to please [him]: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and [that] he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

James 1: 5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all [men] liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.

James 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
"For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord."
So then why did OP think he recieved something from the lord?

"Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him."
isn't this a direct contradiction? if we cant expect anything from the lord than why would we expect to be saved from sickness? and obviously the millions of children dying aren't being saved from their sickness.
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by winner01(m): 12:11am On Jan 08, 2016
cloudgoddess:

You need to open your mind. The long and short of your epistle is "Why are people suffering". Thats what you mean by why are some people more blessed than others.
Im just shortening your journey.

My answer for the umpteenth time; This is life, and its not fair neither did God promise us it would be.

Jesus stated it clearly: " In this world you will pass through suffering, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world"

And that was and is still my answer;God never promised a world free of suffering, He only promised to walk with us through thick and thin if we trust in Him.

So do you have a better explanation of lifes unfairness?
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by winner01(m): 12:11am On Jan 08, 2016
Kay17:

You are only trying to create a non existent gulf between science and christianity. Scientific facts, I mean facts not guesses cannot and will never disprove the word of God.
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by winner01(m): 12:13am On Jan 08, 2016
Kay17:

But in your moral Universe, does God commit evil?
What is the meaning of moral universe?
You still havent defined what you mean by evil.
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by cloudgoddess(f): 12:17am On Jan 08, 2016
Jeromejnr:

Glad you did your homework.

Behold!

/kʌlt/
noun (plural cults)

Cult: A group of people with a religious, philosophical or cultural identity sometimes viewed as a sect, often existing on the margins of society or exploitative towards its members.

Nice try too.
How is lack of belief in god exploitative towards its members? We're not the ones asking for a chunk of peoples' salary every week so we can buy ferrari.
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by cloudgoddess(f): 12:17am On Jan 08, 2016
winner01:
when the hell has that ever occured other than in your dreams
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by Jeromejnr(m): 12:18am On Jan 08, 2016
cloudgoddess:

"For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord."
So then why did OP think he recieved something from the lord?

"Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
15 And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him."
isn't this a direct contradiction? if we cant expect anything from the lord than why would we expect to be saved from sickness? and obviously the millions of children dying aren't being saved from their sickness.

Learn to comprehend messages that are being passed across to you.

English is the easiest language to understand.

The message simply stated, Faith is a condition to getting your expectations met by the Lord. But if you don't fulfill that condition, then don't bother expecting anything.

And BTW, where did atheists come up with the idea that God is obligated to alleviate the sufferings in the world, the sufferings that millions of children are experiencing?

How do u even know His nature? How did they come up with the concept that God is suppose to love?

With all the greed and selfishness in the world and our capacity to completely wipe away poverty from the earth, we don't do that, we sit in out homes gossip on social media, watch TV, go to the cinemas, and you expect God to come down and alleviate the poverty.
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by Jeromejnr(m): 12:22am On Jan 08, 2016
cloudgoddess:

How is lack of belief in god exploitative towards its members? We're not the ones asking for a chunk of peoples' salary every week so we can buy ferrari.

That is why there is an "or" in that definition.

Read it carefully again.
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by winner01(m): 12:25am On Jan 08, 2016
cloudgoddess:

To be accepted by the scientific community, a theory (in the scientific sense of the word) must be strongly supported by many different lines of evidence.
What if (and surely) stronger evidences are produced just as was produced in the past to refute the infinite universe claim initially accepted by the science community?
Would you then admit that science lied?

Dont show me pages, get formal education or even webinars or online lectures and open your mind to reality.

You mind telling us what the science community has concluded on, regarding the existence of life itself?
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by cloudgoddess(f): 12:26am On Jan 08, 2016
winner01:
You need to open your mind. The long and short of your epistle is "Why are people suffering". Thats what you mean by why are some people more blessed than others.
Im just shortening your journey.

My answer for the umpteenth time; This is life, and its not fair neither did God promise us it would be.

Jesus stated it clearly: " In this world you will pass through suffering, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world"

And that was and is still my answer;God never promised a world free of suffering, He only promised to walk with us through thick and thin if we trust in Him.

So do you have a better explanation of lifes unfairness?
The long and short of your epistle is "Why are people suffering".
No it is not. Stop trying to dodge my question. My question is why is god picking favorites. Why arent all of his followers "blessed". By the way, god does promise blessings to his followers so either you're cherrypicking the bible or you're misinformed (i assume its the former).
Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

Proverbs 1:33
But all who listen to me will live in peace,
untroubled by fear of harm.”

Philippians 4:19
19 And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

Just a few among many such verses.

why are some people more blessed than others.
i am falling down dead because i haven't had a morsel of food in many months while pastor joseph just bought a ferrari because his gullible congregants (i mean "god"wink has blessed him with that luxury. to say pastor is just "more blessed" than me is a huge understatement.
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by winner01(m): 12:32am On Jan 08, 2016
cloudgoddess:

Who are you referring to @bolded, by chance i hope its not scentists. There is no need to side with science in a bid to gain relevance, atheism is not science.

Science is open to possibilities,
Atheism has closed your mind to the possibility that a super intelligent Being created this wonderful universe.
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by ValentineMary(m): 12:33am On Jan 08, 2016
cloudgoddess:
Thanks smiley Yes I am! And I don't know many either, its a shame undecided
It would be interesting to know u better.
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by cloudgoddess(f): 12:34am On Jan 08, 2016
winner01:
What if (and surely) stronger evidences are produced just as was produced in the past to refute the infinite universe claim initially accepted by the science community?
Would you then admit that science lied?

Dont show me pages, get formal education or even webinars or online lectures and open your mind to reality.

You mind telling us what the science community has concluded on, regarding the existence of life itself?
OF COURSE I WOULD. but YOU would not. because there is already information proving that the biblical stories are false, yet you still cling to them. you are the one determined to believe in something, not me. i came to accept evolution because it MADE SENSE. not because it "felt good" and not because my pastor or parents preached it to me.

It's been over 150 years since darwin's time and not a single inconsistency has been found to disprove evolution. every bit of biological evidence, every species we see today, every bacterial mutation we observe in the lab, CONFIRMS that evolution is a real thing that is happening all the time and that has been happening since life began on earth. If a scientist found evidence that disproved it, he would be a millionaire, and scientists would have NO CHOICE but to change their minds.

But no such person has come into being in the last 150 years. No such discovery has been made yet. The only logical conclusion to make then is that evolution stands as true until evidence comes along that trumps the million-ton pile of evidence currently existence for evolution.

This doesn't make any damn sense. How is reading an article or research paper different from listening to a lecture? And are you suggesting that there aren't lectures from the same sources I listed (harvard, cambridge, & princeton professors) teaching evolution? What the hell?

What are you talking about and why are you trying to derail the conversation again?
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by winner01(m): 12:36am On Jan 08, 2016
cloudgoddess:

when the hell has that ever occured other than in your dreams
You wanna be ascientist, go be one. Maybe then you have the fundamental will to refute a meaningles universe.
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by cloudgoddess(f): 12:40am On Jan 08, 2016
winner01:
Who are you referring to @bolded, by chance i hope its not scentists. There is no need to side with science in a bid to gain relevance, atheism is not science.

Science is open to possibilities,
Atheism has closed your mind to the possibility that a super intelligent Being created this wonderful universe.
By "we" I was referring to everyone who does not believe in dieties, everyone who does not subscribe to 2,000 year old myths, everyone who identifies as non-religious.

No one claimed atheism was science, stop putting words and assumptions in peoples mouths. Atheism is a LACK OF BELIEF IN GODS BASED ON LACK OF SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE. you are atheist to shinto gods aren't you? you are atheist to zeus and the loch ness monster aren't you? why don't you believe in those things? tell me why you aren't praying to shinto gods right now?

what if i believed a unicorn larger than any unicorn ever imagined created the universe by a flick of its horn? would you respect me more then, since i'd be more "open to beliefs in super intelligent beings"? so unreal that you consider it a positive character trait to believe in things based on faulty/or complete lack of evidence. unreal.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by Kay17: 12:40am On Jan 08, 2016
winner01:
What is the meaning of moral universe?
You still havent defined what you mean by evil.

Of what use would my definition have if it doesn't align with yours
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by cloudgoddess(f): 12:46am On Jan 08, 2016
Jeromejnr:

Learn to comprehend messages that are being passed across to you.

English is the easiest language to understand.

The message simply stated, Faith is a condition to getting your expectations met by the Lord. But if you don't fulfill that condition, then don't bother expecting anything.

And BTW, where did atheists come up with the idea that God is obligated to alleviate the sufferings in the world, the sufferings that millions of children are experiencing?

How do u even know His nature? How did they come up with the concept that God is suppose to love?

With all the greed and selfishness in the world and our capacity to completely wipe away poverty from the earth, we don't do that, we sit in out homes gossip on social media, watch TV, go to the cinemas, and you expect God to come down and alleviate the poverty.

So... the millions of kids dying don't have enough faith then?

You just claimed that having faith is required for god to grant your expectations... is wanting to be alive, and, i don't know, NOT STARVING TO DEATH too much to expect from god?
Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by Jeromejnr(m): 12:55am On Jan 08, 2016
cloudgoddess:

So... the millions of kids dying don't have enough faith then?

You just claimed that having faith is required for god to grant your expectations... is wanting to be alive, and, i don't know, NOT STARVING TO DEATH too much to expect from god?

You have no idea what faith means.

BTW, make sure to feed The starving children close to you.

Lose yourself! Peace!

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? by cloudgoddess(f): 12:57am On Jan 08, 2016
Jeromejnr:

You have no idea what faith means.

BTW, make sure to feed The starving children close to you.

Lose yourself! Peace!

Thanks for running away when you don't have answers, just proved my point more kiss

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Top Ten Signs That You Are A Christian. / Students Caught Papa Frank Lloyd With A Truckload Of Charm / The Persecution Of Bangladeshi Christians On Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.