Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,086 members, 7,814,774 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? (14505 Views)

Poll: Can you?

Yes: 40% (41 votes)
No: 59% (61 votes)
This poll has ended

Housewife Caught Having Sex With Lover, Fined N50,000 / Who Wants To Be A Housewife? / Should A Housewife Demand An Allowance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by spikedcylinder: 9:15am On Jun 24, 2009
NEVER!!!!
I'm a humanbeing, I deserve a good life and fulfillment.I can't just sit at
home like a ninny just because my hubby says so.Where was he when
my parents were toiling day and night just to ensure that I am educated?
If I were not, he wouldn't even consider me as good enough for his wife.

Tell me, what's the use of a formal education, if I wanted to end up a
fulltime housewife? why bother myself studying all these years if
I wanted to end up sitting at home all day, waiting for Oga to come.
What a boring lifestyle, quite unfulfilling.Over my dead body.

Though my I love my family, I can never sacrifice my career.There's a plcae
for the family, there's another for career.The children would all leave me for
good, so I have to make myself happy.

Beyond ridiculous. So the women (and in some cases, men) who give up their jobs and share their lives with their children full time BECAUSE THEY WANT TO are less than human beings?
Purleeze! undecided undecided
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by JustGood(m): 9:24am On Jun 24, 2009
So much for the inexperience displayed on here.

Please come back tell us THE TRUTH about it when you get married.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by JJYOU: 9:39am On Jun 24, 2009
NEVER!!!!

I'm a humanbeing, I deserve a good life and fulfillment.I can't just sit at
home like a ninny just because my hubby says so.Where was he when
my parents were toiling day and night just to ensure that I am educated?
If I were not, he wouldn't even consider me as good enough for his wife.

Tell me, what's the use of a formal education, if I wanted to end up a
fulltime housewife? why bother myself studying all these years if
I wanted to end up sitting at home all day, waiting for Oga to come.
What a boring lifestyle, quite unfulfilling.Over my dead body.

Though my I love my family, I can never sacrifice my career.There's a plcae
for the family, there's another for career.The children would all leave me for
good, so I have to make myself happy.
very sad. is the money you make worth the life you lead?
chaircover:

People seem to generalise housewives as being totally dependent on their husbands financially and wasting their education.

Not always true and one can be a housewife and still run a successful business from home.

I personally dont like the ides of a woman being totally dependent on a man even if he was the richest man on earth. It diminishes the woman's self esteem and the husband gradually loses respect for her. It also sends a wrong message to the children who grow up thinking that women are supposed to be kept.
maybe i cant understand how it diminishes women but how did you work out
the husband gradually loses respect for her?
. do men also disrespect wives when the "money making machine" fall sick or cant work?.

i know we are products of money at all cost society but i find some arguments on this thread sad.
SeanT21:

A lady with a career can also do that. Stop making lame excuses!! wink

who says a lady without career can be what she wants to be?  why must you think you have a monopoly of wisdom on this matter?  working and doing whatever you want may suit you but not some other people why cant you let them be?  this is supposed to be seunland
JustGood:

So much for the inexperience displayed on here.

Please come back tell us THE TRUTH about it when you get married.
you know i will gladly give you my granny for marriage for this.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by kok(m): 9:54am On Jun 24, 2009
Profs in the house now, I bow!
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by silat(f): 10:52am On Jun 24, 2009
[quote]Beyond ridiculous. So the women (and in some cases, men) who give up their jobs and share their lives with their children full time BECAUSE THEY WANT TO are less than human beings?
Purleeze!
[quote][/quote]

Ppl can talk,u all have to understand that ppl are different,u dont have to condemn other ppl just because they dont think d same way u think. u should have better ways of talking n not insult ppl by calling dem lesser human beings. im so sure if dey check so many ppl here,dey r housewives,dey r just pretending. try to be real n stop dis pretence.
Yes its not good to be a full tym house wife n idle but u dont have to make those dat are there feel bad,its honourable to be there 4 ur kids n also have tym 4 d family n its also good to work or do sometin maybe a business. infact bottom line is do what u enjoy doin n strike a balance.
Good luck to all d ladies in d house.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by JustGood(m): 10:55am On Jun 24, 2009
JJYOU:

you know i will gladly give you my granny for marriage for this.

Just remember that she has to be a housewife grin
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Nezan(m): 11:00am On Jun 24, 2009
The love of money is dominating every sphere of our lives.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by zaliya(f): 11:10am On Jun 24, 2009
One of the most important jobs in the world is to raise a child to become a responsible grown-up. Dear ladies there is nothing boring about being a housewife. If you made kids please be available to BE with them, wipe their nose, sing to them, read to them, kiss their boo-boos, make meals for them introduce them to the world etc etc.

HOUSEWIFE AND HOUSEKIDS.

A career-wife would also do these.
I guess the kids should go to school. At least not staying at home to become housekids.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Nobody: 11:13am On Jun 24, 2009
//
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Redfox(m): 11:19am On Jun 24, 2009
We need to get one thing straight, it ain't bad for a lady to be career-minded,personally i love ambitious ladies but career shouldn't at any time or situation whatsoever serve as an excuse to avoid the working virtues of a woman bearing in mind that child upbringing(nurturing) surpasses career pursuit.

Let's don't shy away from the fact that women of nowadays have left child nurturing to the hands of the peers and their fathers in the name of career,that is an abomination and should not be condoned.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by visplace: 11:30am On Jun 24, 2009
No i will not, GOD forbid. after spending 4yrs in the university. i like to do my own things at my own time. not if i want 2 buy things, or send money 2 my people, i will announcing it, by begging him 2 give me some money.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 12:57pm On Jun 24, 2009
visplace:

No i will not, GOD forbid. after spending 4yrs in the university. i like to do my own things at my own time. not if i want 2 buy things, or send money 2 my people, i will announcing it, by begging him 2 give me some money.

The day you said "i do", that is the end of "i do my own thing at my own time", so think 2ce be4 u say "i do", cos "i do" is not for everyone, especially, if you have plans to be doing your thang at your own time.
Secondly, if it is about the money, would u be housewife if the man give you non-limited access to the bank account and you can spend as you want,w would u consider staying home and not worry about your 4 years at the university?
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Mazi(m): 12:59pm On Jun 24, 2009
@visplace

What did the God you are calling on to forbid, create the woman for?
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 1:02pm On Jun 24, 2009
Mazi:

@visplace

What did the God you are calling on to forbid, create the woman for?

Good question, i will be back to read her response.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by apreshe8: 1:08pm On Jun 24, 2009
I would advise any married woman living in naija to have at least a source of income, if you must be a stay-at-home mom.Been a stay-at-home mom isn't just about twiddling your thumbs doing nothing! Cooking, cleaning, washing etc takes time and energy, granted, but pls have a source of income.  smiley My reason for this is because you might find yourself in a situation whereby, you would need money(for a lot of things, your folks: parents and siblings inclusive might need ur help) and your husband might not be able to afford it at the time. If you have to sell recharge cards at home please do it, cos for all those saying "it is our money", someday the song would change to, why are you wasting money on frivolous things?! wink Men sometimes percieve women as been frivolous, we need to pamper ourselves once a while, get a pedicure, fix a weave and most of all pamper your children!
The proverbs 31 woman wasn't totally a housewife without a source of income and most woman aspire to be that woman!
Lets not raise the argument of the in-laws who think every good thing you do stems from their son's money! Every family gathering is used to scrutinize whether their son's finances haven't been depleted due to your excessive life style(real or imagined), no matter how rich he is!
If as a woman, your family needs your undivided attention then please think of a source of income that would keep you relatively independent. smiley
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Hauwa1: 1:15pm On Jun 24, 2009
chaircover:

From experience, I find that men respect women who add valuable input into the relationship.

Yes looking after hubby & kids as a housewife is recognised as “valuable input into the relationship” but there are a lot of career women out there who seamlessly combine both.

So are women who can combine both not more of a better asset to the husband & family as a whole?

We are all different and have different strengths & weaknesses. Some women are unable to combine both career & family and one or the other suffers; in cases like this they need to take stock and decide on the best way forward. Ideally family should always come first.

Some women perform better when they have a variety of roles in & outside of the home. I certainly fall into that category and even though my husband can afford to “keep” us I prefer to work part time. My housework gets done and I still manage to spend quality time with my kids and husband & put something in the family purse.

Personally I couldn’t imagine being in a position of having to ask my husband for money every day & watch my husband work his ass off & come back from work late & stressed just to “keep” us. I love him too much for that.
[/quote
]

Chaircover, are you talking mainly abt the nigeria setting? because i don't think women ask men for money where i live. they have access to it  wink.

Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Theblessed(f): 1:21pm On Jun 24, 2009
zaliya:

this is ridiculous

That's my girl!!  Good you showed the chicken heads the difference and what they're missing. Hope, they got the idea.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Theblessed(f): 1:42pm On Jun 24, 2009
JJYOU:

mmmmmmmmmmm u wish u waz right. always nice to hear the sensible minority on matters like this.  some people cant believe one size dont fit all.  it is money and money alone that decides everything. mostly agree. always so good to hear common sence on these matters

Well, if I wasn't right, I challenge you to count the number of people on here who said 'No' to the idea of full-time Housewifery and cookie bakeries then, let us know the result. That way you will know you are backing the loosing horse.  The whole thing boils down to WORK LIFE BALANCE - balancing motherhood with your own self esteem, ok.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Ekpe2009: 2:07pm On Jun 24, 2009
A woman who provides herself everything can as well give herself a man
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by JJYOU: 2:11pm On Jun 24, 2009
apreshe8:

I would advise any married woman living in naija to have at least a source of income, if you must be a stay-at-home mom.Been a stay-at-home mom isn't just about twiddling your thumbs doing nothing! Cooking, cleaning, washing etc takes time and energy, granted, but pls have a source of income.  smiley My reason for this is because you might find yourself in a situation whereby, you would need money(for a lot of things, your folks: parents and siblings inclusive might need ur help) and your husband might not be able to afford it at the time. If you have to sell recharge cards at home please do it, cos for all those saying "it is our money", someday the song would change to, why are you wasting money on frivolous things?! wink Men sometimes percieve women as been frivolous, we need to pamper ourselves once a while, get a pedicure, fix a weave and most of all pamper your children!
The proverbs 31 woman wasn't totally a housewife without a source of income and most woman aspire to be that woman!
Lets not raise the argument of the in-laws who think every good thing you do stems from their son's money! Every family gathering is used to scrutinize whether their son's finances haven't been depleted due to your excessive life style(real or imagined), no matter how rich he is!
If as a woman, your family needs your undivided attention then please think of a source of income that would keep you relatively independent. smiley
you make me see why  nigeria will always have polygamy and mostly weak and struggling relationships.  religious societies are supposed to have strong marriages not nigeria where everyone is wired to think or have plan B just incase.  
Theblessed:

Well, if I wasn't right, I challenge you to count the number of people on here who said 'No' to the idea of full-time Housewifery and cookie bakeries then, let us know the result. That way you will know you are backing the loosing horse.  The whole thing boils down to WORK LIFE BALANCE - balancing motherhood with your own self esteem, ok.
u wish NL was a special audience to do opinion polls on
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 2:19pm On Jun 24, 2009
JJYOU:

you make me see why  nigeria will always have polygamy and mostly weak and struggling relationships.  religious societies are supposed to have strong marriages not nigeria where everyone is wired to think or have plan B just incase.  

I second your thinking here.
there is no reason why the woman and the man cant understand their own situation, so cos the man might be able to afford what the woman wants at a particular time, it is ok for the woman to have a job, cos of that kinda flimsy excuse.
In Nigeria, it will be good for the woman to have a job and here are some of the reasons.
1. It is still a man's world, the man could decide it is over and kick the woman out with nothing.
2. The man could get "puccy whipped" at anytime, and stop taking care of his wife and kids.
3. The man can die anytime and in a society where the family will come and kick the woman out, it is sad.
4. Society is just messed up.
For this reasons, i will advice most ladies in nigeria to have something doing, or make sure the husband allocated some funds to her, so that she can use at will.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by skyone(m): 2:49pm On Jun 24, 2009
@JJYOU, Redfox, Mazi and fhemmy

I so much respect your opinions regarding this post.

It's sad to see Nigerian ladies reasoning in such a ridiculous way, i understand it can be tedious to go full house wife but i can assure you there are lots of benefits to it. Benefits that the money and career you are pursuing can not buy. You can be a house wife and still have a very good career life and you will be extremely happy; however it all depends on how you manage your life.

What's whole point of making a ludicrous amount of money while your house is not in order sad.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by zaliya(f): 3:13pm On Jun 24, 2009
Message to housewives,

Hey, hurry up, the kidz are soon gonna be back from school, sshhhhh, u've been on the computer (NAIRALAND) all day, remember u aren't yet done with doing the dishes, scrubbing the floor, washing the clothes, cooking, doing ur general housechores and guess what?

Hey, too bad Ur momsie ought to go back this evening.she's waiting all day for ur hubby. Just tell her to hold on a while more till 'Oga' comes back to give her some money. You know everything that's got to do wit ur family needs, 'OGA' must know o. grin
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 3:18pm On Jun 24, 2009
zaliya:

Message to housewives,

Hey, hurry up, the kidz are soon gonna be back from school, sshhhhh, u've been on the computer (NAIRALAND) all day, remember u aren't yet done with doing the dishes, scrubbing the floor, washing the clothes, cooking, doing ur general housechores and guess what?

Hey, too bad Ur momsie ought to go back this evening.she's waiting all day for ur hubby. Just tell her to hold on a while more till 'Oga' comes back to give her some money. You know everything that's got to do wit ur family needs, 'OGA' must know o. grin

Cos she is a housewife doesnt make her a house help, the kids can still do dishes, the husband can still take care of the laundry, all he has to do is dump them in the machine and take them out, you can still wait for the hubby to come from work and yu cook together {really sexy - u can get lucky in da kitchen too}
Once again, i think you are mixing being a househelp with being a bum, and there is a big difference.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Nezan(m): 3:21pm On Jun 24, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Cos she is a housewife doesnt make her a house help, the kids can still do dishes, the husband can still take care of the laundry, all he has to do is dump them in the machine and take them out, you can still wait for the hubby to come from work and yu cook together {really sexy - u can get lucky in da kitchen too}
Once again, i think you are mixing being a househelp with being a bum, and there is a big difference.
Good comment.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by apreshe8: 3:27pm On Jun 24, 2009
@ Fhemmy
The reasons you stated i agree with, but could be said to be extreme cases. The scenario i painted is that in which the woman would not want to feel overly dependent on the husband. If she has a need (no matter how flimsy or irrelevant) and her husband can't meet it at that time, and she also isn't financially independent then she is helpless! No one likes to feel helpless at least not me.
A woman can take a hiatus, take care of her kids below the age of 7years and afterwards get a job, but in the interim have a source of income, no matter how small!
@JJYOU
you make me see why  Nigeria will always have polygamy and mostly weak and struggling relationships.  religious societies are supposed to have strong marriages not Nigeria where everyone is wired to think or have plan B just in case
I think everyone the world over should have a plan B. Not with desperation but with the thinking that nothing lasts forever! The husband might not die but could become disabled ,God forbid! Also it's not only in Nigeria that there are weak and struggling relationships!
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 3:41pm On Jun 24, 2009
apreshe8:

@ Fhemmy
The reasons you stated i agree with, but could be said to be extreme cases. The scenario i painted is that in which the woman would not want to feel overly dependent on the husband. If she has a need (no matter how flimsy or irrelevant) and her husband can't meet it at that time, and she also isn't financially independent then she is helpless! No one likes to feel helpless at least not me.
A woman can take a hiatus, take care of her kids below the age of 7years and afterwards get a job, but in the interim have a source of income, no matter how small!
@JJYOU
you make me see why  Nigeria will always have polygamy and mostly weak and struggling relationships.  religious societies are supposed to have strong marriages not Nigeria where everyone is wired to think or have plan B just in case
I think everyone the world over should have a plan B. Not with desperation but with the thinking that nothing lasts forever! The husband might not die but could become disabled ,God forbid! Also it's not only in Nigeria that there are weak and struggling relationships!

A husband that advice the wife to stay home and do nothing, i will expect that he will provide for the wife, give her access to the account without notice sef.
There are some of the reasons why some wife rather stay home in the western world.
1. Cost of the daycare might not even worth it, cos if you have say 4 kids and you paying 400$ on each kid, cos the more money you make with your wife, the lesser care u can get from the govt and when u add what the wife is making to what the husband is making, something, it is finacially better for the woman to stay home and take care of the kids for the preschoolers.

2. When you add the cost of transportation and all other stuff, the money the wife is making is not worth the work {except the wife has a real good career going}

3 Most ladies cant handle stress of working and they will come back home and give hell to the husband and the kids, so if the man wanna live long, better to just allow the woman to work from home, doing what will make her happy, by so doing, they are all happy and doing what they all love.

4. The more money both the man and the woman make, the more they will pay back to the govt during the tax season.

5. The woman is never tired to make the man happy at night in bed. tongue
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jun 24, 2009
whatever, at least everyone has rite to their opinions, as for me its SAY NO TO HOUSEWIFERY .
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by kok(m): 4:19pm On Jun 24, 2009
@ All

What is the proper definition of "HOUSE WIFE"?
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Fhemmmy: 4:31pm On Jun 24, 2009
There are so many definition for a housewife, but we wanna stick with someone that stays home, what she does at home is not the point.
She could be running some biz from home.
she cld just be taking care of the man and the kids.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by spikedcylinder: 4:45pm On Jun 24, 2009
Personally, I wouldn't do it but its because I'm a selfish human being. I admire people selfless enough to give their entire lives for others.
Re: Ladies: Can You Be A Housewife? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jun 24, 2009
//

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Please Can A Five Months Baby Take Tea(milo And Peak Milk) / 5 Benefits Of Having Self-love / My Husband Forgot My Birthday :-(

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.