Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House (29392 Views)

Look Trim And Fit! Lose 5kg Per Week(uk Certified Fitness Trainers) / Look Trim And Fit! Lose 5kg Per Week(us Certified Fitness Trainer) / Look Trim And Fit! Lose 5kg Per Week(Uk Certified Fitness Trainer) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Jibson999(m): 6:56pm On Jul 20, 2010
Hello romeo. I'd use this opp to tell u keep it up, nyc thread.
Last year feb I used to weigh 70kg but as at march this year I weighed 81kg
Presently 76.
I normally go jogging for 30mins lyk 4 tyms a wik
I'd lyk to go back to 70 so I'd lyk u to post a nutition table with less carbs and fats
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 7:29pm On Jul 20, 2010
@Sammiejo -

I am so sorry. I will post it in the other thread.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 7:41pm On Jul 20, 2010
@Jibson999 -

Thx for the compliment. Its nice to know people appreciate the thread.

From what you wrote, i gather you want to lose some weight - about 6kg. This is no problem. You can either increase the intensity/duration of your cardio exercises, or keep it the same and simply eat less.

Without any understanding of your eating plans at the moment, I would suggest you eat about 3 times a day - proper meals. Have Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Do this consistently, every day. Cut out ANYTHING in between these meals - no matter how small or insignificant you think it is. Drink at 2 ltrs of water a day.

Your meals will contain carbs, you just have to cut out unnecessary or excess carbs, sugars or fats. Your breakfast can be cereal, oats or whatever you want - as long as it does not contain unnecessary sugars or fats and it is medium sized. Alternatively, it can simply be a platter of fruits its up to you. You can eat all the usual carbs - rice,fufu, garri, pounded yam, etc - it is the amount that matters. Keep the sizes moderate. If you eat meat, keep it moderate. No soft drinks, Maltina, Five Alive, etc - These all contain unnecessary sugars. Just drink water.

Let me know the kinds of food you have available to you at the moment, or what you currently eat. It may be best to formulate a plan around that. Best of luck.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Jibson999(m): 12:27pm On Jul 21, 2010
@romeo.
Ill post em later i just noticed that these days when i go jogging the rst 15-20 mins i sweat more but whenever i turn around for d nxt 15min i feel dry
I dont know if its a usual xperienc
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Ejadamen(f): 2:54pm On Jul 23, 2010
Hi Romeo, i have some questions.
I was at the gym 2 days ago and had a discussion with the strength trainer there. Note that I have been going there to lift weights. I would do 1 set of 15 reps,5 exercises on a multigym. He earlier advised me to increase to 2 sets. I'm not sure of the weight I lift. i lift about 5 of the iron bars. Now,in my discussion with him yesterday, he told me to reduce lifting weights because my "wings" have opened. He said I should reduce exercises that train the biceps and concentrate on my tummy. I know I cannot spot reduce so I'm at a loss.
I was operating under the impression that I needed cardio and strength training. At home I would do squats,press ups and sit ups to strength train and a CD or walk for cardio. Can't swim yet with all the rain. I began going to the gym to lift the little i could and tone my muscles. Now is the trainer right? My biceps are not bulking or anything and I have a suspicion that it's making the men uncomfortable watching a woman lift weights 3 times a week. I'm considering going back to what I was doing at home undecided Help!
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 7:08pm On Jul 23, 2010
Ejadamen -

1 set of 15 reps is certainly not enough - to get any major benefit from any exercise. You need a min of 2 or 3 sets per exercise. As i have always said, there has to be some structure to all this.
Here is a simple way to do it. (1)Divide your whole body into 3 "parts" (this should cover your whole body), (2)All body "parts" MUST be trained at least once a week, (3) Allocate the 3 days you want to train these parts. Now choose the exercises for each "part". You need 2r 3 different exercises to train each "part" properly. Stick to this routine, and don't miss any of the chosen days. Even if you are unable to go to the gym on that day, you can work out the relevant body parts at home.

The weight amount is irrelevant - as it is relative to the person lifting it. If you can do 15 - 20 reps, this means the amount is light for you. Stick to any weight that allows you to do 15 - 20 reps/set, as you are looking for muscle tone, and not muscle mass.

With due respect, most so called "trainers" in Naija don't have a clue what they are on about. I suspect he was simply trying to sound knowledgeable. Dont stop going to the gym, stick to the routine as much as you can. Structure and consistency is crucial to any fitness programme.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 7:12pm On Jul 23, 2010
i just noticed that these days when i go jogging the rst 15-20 mins i sweat more but whenever i turn around for d nxt 15min i feel dry
Jibson, you are probably not applying the same intensity on your way back. I suspect the jog back is more leisurely, so you are not sweating as much, and the previous sweat has evaporated. Are you resting after 15mins before you continue the jog back? If so, do not stop and rest and jog continuosly for 30 mins.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Ejadamen(f): 12:08pm On Jul 24, 2010
Romeo,I increased to 2 sets of 15 reps per exercise. But just so i understand you correctly. I have divided my body into arms,stomach and legs. Is this okay? Squats for legs, sit ups and leg raises for tummy and press ups for arms. Could you suggest other exercises for these 3 parts as I only know these for these parts.
Also are you saying that I should do arms say on Monday,tummy on Wednesday and legs on Friday? Usually when I do strength training, I exercise all 3 parts in one day. please clarify.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Ejadamen(f): 2:47pm On Jul 28, 2010
Romeo,I'm still waiting for your reply.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 28, 2010
Not a fitness trainer but I have been a regular exerciser for a few years now so I would suggest you do full body training 2 or 3x a week.

The link below has exercise for all body parts you just pick one for each body part and exercise away smiley Depending on your goal; toning (light dumbells 3-10pounds) or muscle building(10-40pounds). Also do not be afraid to lift heavy, you will not bulk up because you dont have as much testosterone as males and you are not eating as much as body builders(I hope so grin grin). You also have the added benefit of turning your body into a fat burning machine hours after working out when you lift heavy.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/dumbbellexercises.html
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Ejadamen(f): 8:38am On Jul 29, 2010
@ Ebonyeyes, thanks. The website is very informative. I do not have dumbbells though. Thing is I like strength training more than cardio grin but I'll adjust.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 29, 2010
^^^^
Your welcome babes, I love strength training as well, it makes me feel like super woman lol. You could do circuit training which is basically mixing in some cardio inbetween 3-4 strength training moves, so lets say you do 12 strength training moves, so after every 3-4 strength training moves, you skip or jog on the spot for 1 full minute and then go on to your next 3-4 strength training moves. So it looks like this

Jog lightly for 5mins(warm up)

Squats
deadlifts
Calf raise

Skip or jog on spot for 1min

Lunges
shoulder press
bicep curl

skip or jog on spot for 1min

Tricep extension
Bent over rows
push up

skip or jog on spot for 1min

Repeat circuit again 2 more times and thats a cardio +strength training workout. Did something similar to this when I couldnt get to a gym and it worked well.

You can use 1 litre bottles as dumbells it works just as well.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Ejadamen(f): 6:48pm On Jul 29, 2010
@ Ebony, I'm liking the look of that example circuit training you posted. Thing is,it usually looks easier on paper than when doing it smiley You can look at this https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-282744.0.html for the strength training I did today. It was kind of like circuit without the cardio. I did 2 sets of each exercise and I feel great!!! I'm tryng to figure out my cardio as walking outside has become boring to me. Time to hit a treadmill again then.

Er, what do you weigh now?
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jul 29, 2010
Girl these workouts creep up on you and you will be panting before you know it lol. I love them because you dont need a gym or fancy equipments for them.

Girl you know a lady never tells how much she weighs lol not in a fricking forum with vindictive creatures waiting to prey grin grin grin

But I will tell you this, I have replaced fat with muscles and you know muscles looks smaller than fat so its more compact.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Ejadamen(f): 12:37pm On Jul 30, 2010
Good for you girl! wink
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 8:34pm On Jul 30, 2010
Eja - sorry for the late reply. I am travelling at the moment. I have read through your conversations with Ebony and I will post ans shortly. Ciao!
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 9:57pm On Aug 13, 2010
@Ebony -
Girl you know a lady never tells how much she weighs lol not in a fricking forum with vindictive creatures waiting to prey
You can tell us! No vindictive creatures here! wink

Why are women so cagey about their weight? I've never understood that one.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Nobody: 10:24pm On Aug 13, 2010
romeo, pls what are your thougts and opinions regarding acai berry and green tea?
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 10:58pm On Aug 13, 2010
@Size 12 -

Whilst Green tea (Tea made with the leaves of Camellia Sinensis), and Acai Berry DO have health benefits, their effects weight loss are wildly overstated and in many cases exaggerated.

Green Tea, and Acai Berry to a lesser extent contain high levels of antioxidants. Antioxidants help slow degenerative diseases by helping to stop free radicals. They contain polyphenols which are known to have an effect on lowering LDL cholesterol levels, and also have anti carcinogenic properties.
The weight loss claims of Green Tea comes from the thermogenic effect it has on the body (it raises the metabolic rate), hence makes you burn calories faster. This effect is due to the amount of caffeine in Green Tea, which is higher than in coffee. This is not necessarily good, as increased caffeine in the system does have its health concerns. The weight loss credentials of Acai Berry are more dubious. Whilst it may reduce cholesterol levels, there is no know mechanism by which Acai Berry promotes weight loss.

Conclusion: Green Tea and Acai Berry are good for you.They contain high levels of antioxidants and polyphenols, so continue taking them. They do not however contribute any discernible difference to a weight loss program, and in the the case of Green Tea, you need to be careful about its caffeine content and subsequent thermogenic effect.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 10:58pm On Aug 13, 2010
@Size 12 -

Whilst Green tea (Tea made with the leaves of Camellia Sinensis), and Acai Berry DO have health benefits, their effects weight loss are wildly overstated and in many cases exaggerated.

Green Tea, and Acai Berry to a lesser extent contain high levels of antioxidants. Antioxidants help slow degenerative diseases by helping to stop free radicals. They contain polyphenols which are known to have an effect on lowering LDL cholesterol levels, and also have anti carcinogenic properties.
The weight loss claims of Green Tea comes from the thermogenic effect it has on the body (it raises the metabolic rate), hence makes you burn calories faster. This effect is due to the amount of caffeine in Green Tea, which is higher than in coffee. This is not necessarily good, as increased caffeine in the system does have its health concerns. The weight loss credentials of Acai Berry are more dubious. Whilst it may reduce cholesterol levels, there is no know mechanism by which Acai Berry promotes weight loss.

Conclusion: Green Tea and Acai Berry are good for you.They contain high levels of antioxidants and polyphenols, so continue taking them. They do not however contribute any discernible difference to a weight loss program, and in the the case of Green Tea, you need to be careful about its caffeine content and subsequent thermogenic effect.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Nobody: 11:09pm On Aug 13, 2010
Romeo4real:

@Size 12 -

thank you smiley
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 13, 2010
am actually taking a tea brand which is a combination of green tea, lemon grass and lemon peel: all in one tea bag cool
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Aladunni(f): 10:48am On Aug 14, 2010
Am i welcomed in this thread. I need to start something with my weight and diet. I dont know my weight now but i was over 80kg, d last time i checked wit a height of 1.62m. Presently i am on a diet plan dat ll last the next 9 days. I need ur advice, my meals commence after nine days, so i want to what food table and exercise i can start with. My target is 64kg in the next 3 months. Advice pls.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 11:33pm On Aug 15, 2010
@Aladunni -

You are welcomed to the thread. Pls weigh yourself to know exactly how much you currently weigh. What exactly is the "9 day" diet plan, and what does it consist of? I can tell you now that no diet plan lasting 9 days will be lose you 16kg; in a healthy, sustainable manner. What is needed is a lifestyle change in what kinds of foods you eat, how big the portions are and and exercise regime.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Nobody: 11:40pm On Aug 15, 2010
romeo,

how do i determine the ''approriate'' portions of food to eat?

For example, i eat 4-5 slices of bread with beans for breakfast.
is 5 slices of white bread an ''approriate' portion for weight loss? thank you.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Aladunni(f): 12:33am On Aug 16, 2010
@ romeo, thanks. The diet plan is not intended to get me to my goal, its just put me in the motion. Its actually a means not the end in itself. Anyways i re-checked now and my H is 1.64m and a W of 85kg. The product is called CLEAN 9. It involves a couple of supplements and any 600 calorie meal daily and moderate exercise for the remaining days. I want to continue dieting when am thru wit dis and dats why am here.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 12:43am On Aug 16, 2010
@size12 -

4-5 slices is too much for a weight loss program - and you are having it with beans. If with beans, then it should be no more that 2 slices, maybe 3 max - and don't think about increasing the beans portion! If still hungry, drink more water to fill you up, and ALWAYS supplement with fruits/vegetables/salads (no bananas)
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 12:53am On Aug 16, 2010
Alladunni-

Well, look at it this way, unless you intend to take CLEAN 9 and 600 calories/day for the rest of your life, then i wouldn't bother. What exactly does it consist of? What are in the supplements? And what is their purpose? Do not take an appetite suppressant or anything that is intended to"purge" you. These are very very unhealthy. Moreover, with a 600 calorie intake/day, you will simply be starving yourself, so of course you will loose weight. The question is - Are you going to exist on 600 calories for the rest of your life? Because you will simply put the weight back on when you start eating normally. Trust me.

With a weight loss program, it is very important not to starve yourself into losing weight, but to eat properly, whilst introducing some type of exercise regimen. Start as you mean to go. This is has to be a lifestyle change - if you want it to last.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Nobody: 9:26am On Aug 16, 2010
romeo, thanks for your post.

you are being very helpful. God bless you.

i will stick to 3 slices of bread. what about yam? how many slices do you think is approraite? what about rice? how many servings? i will buy lots of fruits as you have suggested. is there any limit to the amount of fruit i can consume? for example, on saturday, i ate about 30 small strawberries and i was feeling a lil guilty that i had consumed that much.

more info about me:
height: 171cm (5.62 feet)
weight: 86kg
stomach size: 97cm sad
shirt size: size 15 (size 14 is rather too tight and size 16 is a bit too loose: so i stick to size 16though)
trouser size: size 14. for short skirts, i can wear size 12 although i might not be able to snap in the botton but my hips will fit in

romeo, please look at my previous posts and see my long list of DON'TS regarding my diet regime. also, at this rate and consistency, how long do you think it will take for me to drop the excess weight? my aim is not only to lose the weight but to maintain the weight loss.

my tummy is big. i wear some good 'tummy support underwear'' under my clothings which tend to hide the bulge but am tired of wearing them sad besides, they can be uncomfortable.

any other tips/suggestion towards my weight loss goal will be well appreciated.

thanks again smiley
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Aladunni(f): 9:30am On Aug 16, 2010
Thanks romeo, i dont intend going back to the 'normal diet'  and for God sakes how do i survive wit 600 calories per day, anyways as i said i intend to complete this and rely on you for further instructions. The supplements includes, aloe vera gel, bee pollen, garcinia plus, foreverlite vanilla milk shake and at least 8 oz water . I ll get you their components when i get home 2nyt, its a forever living product diet plan. About exercise, am not too used to it yet, just did 13 mins instead of 20 mins as instructed by the plan. I did 40 sit ups, jogged for 5 mins on d spot, and squatted too. Thanks as i await your reply.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 5:28pm On Aug 16, 2010
@Size 12 -

Yam is fine. 2-3 medium slices is ok. For other portion sizes, see my reply to Aladunnis's post on portion sizes on the other thread. You can eat as much fruits/vegetables as you want, but avoid Bananas, Pears, Dates or any high calorie fruit - unless you are eating them on their own as a meal. It is better to keep you meal sizes small, and if you are still hungry, eat the fruits with the meal.

romeo, please look at my previous posts and see my long list of DON'TS regarding my diet regime.
The list is fine. You can have Bananas, but only as a meal(see the other thread)

how long do you think it will take for  me to drop the excess weight? my aim is not only to lose the weight but to maintain the weight loss.
This will depend on how hard you are willing to work, and how much you are looking to lose. Set your exercise plan - and stick to it NO matter what. Make sure to do 40min-1hr - at a go. If you want to do more, do so. It will only hasten the weight loss. You can also add resistance exercises (press-ups, sit-ups, squats) to do at home.
Keep to your food plan. Eat 3 meals a day. If still hungry, eat more salad, raw vegetables and fruits (with exceptions). Do NOT starve yourself. Remember, this has to be a lifestyle change, so as to maintain the weight loss. If you can commit to brisk exercise for 1 hr at least 5days a week, with 3 meals a day, you can loose approx 3kg every 3-4wks. You may have to increase the intensity of the exercise to maintain this rate.

i wear some good 'tummy support underwear'' under my clothings which tend to hide the bulge but am tired of wearing them  Sad besides, they can be uncomfortable.
Nothing sad about this. I hear the Ardyss brand is good, and quite comfortable. They are expensive though.
Drink lots of water. At least 2 litres a day.

PS: Lets keep all the questions to this thread for consistency. You can post your daily stats on the other thread.
Re: Certified Fitness Instructor And Nutritionist In The House by Romeo4real(m): 6:16pm On Aug 16, 2010
@Aladunni -
By all means use the supplement, but understand your weight loss will come from what/how you eat and how you exercise - not from this supplement.

You need to have an exercise plan that involves 40min - 1hr/day, brisk activity for minimum 3 days a week. If you have no access to a gym, you can go walking. You can also add resistance exercises (press-ups, sit-up, squats) to do at home - as you are already doing. All this should be done in a structured consistent manner.
You should eat a standard portion meal 3 times a day. You can substitute one of the meals for fruits, have some fruits with the meals, or eat fruits in between(only citrus fruits in this case). Hope that helps.

PS: Lets keep all the questions to this thread. The daily log can be posted on the other thread. This makes it easier to follow.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

6 Provoking Ways You Are Endangering Your Health / How To Last Longer In Bed - For Men / Eating After 6pm Dangerous To Health - Experts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.