Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,698 members, 7,809,638 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:23 PM

9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You (95559 Views)

Black People Have Super Powers #UNDERGROUNDRISEUP / Ooni Cannot Marry The Single Mother, Emmanuella, It’s A Taboo – Palace Source / Inheritance In Ishan Land First Son Takes All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by erunz(m): 10:16am On Feb 24, 2016
The Esan people are an ethnic group in Edo state, Nigeria who speak the Esan language. The modern Esan nation is believed to have been organized during the 15th century, when citizens, mostly nobles and princes, left the neighbouring Benin Empire for the northeast; there they formed communities and kingdoms called eguares among the aboriginal peoples whom they met there. There are on the whole 35 established kingdoms in Esanland, including Ewohimi, Ekpoma, Ubiaja, Uromi, Igueben, and Ewu. The institution of marriage is a sacred one to these people and as such have laid down rules to guide it.

1 When a woman is married to an Esan man, it is an abomination for another man to touch her wrapper, else it is considered as though she has committed adultery unless the married woman shouts at the man or reports to her husband.

2 It is an abomination for married couples or anyone at that to have sex in the afternoon as it is believed that a certain spirit would be angered by the act.

3 When a woman commits adultery, she will loose her children and her life as repercussion for the abominable act unless she confesses and as restitution, she is stri*ped completely unclad, a part of her head is shaved, a part of her private part is shaved, one of her armpits is shaved and both of her hands are tied behind her, while a basket full of trash is placed on her head. She is then paraded around the community by other women.

4 If this is not done and the woman goes ahead to cook for her children, her children will die one after the other including her. If she also confesses to her husband and out of love or pity her husband conceals the confession, he will die within a week, if he eats a meal cooked by the woman.

5 It is a taboo for another man to cross an outstretched legs of a married woman else it is considered as though she already had s*x with the man.

6 A married woman can not steal her husband’s money in Esan land as it is seen as an abomination. She must tell him about it.

7 It is considered an abomination for a man to sit on the matrimonial bed of an Esan couple as it is seen as a taboo.

8 It is also an abomination for a woman to spit on her husband under any circumstance. If she does, she must sacrifice a fowl to appease him but the man can bathe his wife with his own spit.

9 It is seen as an abomination for an Esan man to use the same bathing bucket with his wife but due to widespread Christianity, this taboo has almost gone into extinction.

The husband of a woman who just gave birth must stay away from her sexually for three months as she’s considered unclean because of the after delivery blood she discharges.

Nollywood actress, Mercy Johnson is married to an Esan man, probably why she has a stable marriage – or what do you think

http://www..com/talk/topic,283699.0.html

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by ChappyChase: 10:19am On Feb 24, 2016
What a taboo!
This things are just to keep the people in check not that it has any effect!
For example why should a man be having sex in the afternoon when he supposed to be in his farm working!
*modified*
Am FTC again and still waiting for my alert!!!!
Felling really jobless today!

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by Nobody: 10:19am On Feb 24, 2016
End time beliefs

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:27am On Feb 24, 2016
3 When a woman commits adultery, she will loose her children and her life as repercussion for the abominable act unless she confesses and as restitution, she is stri*ped completely unclad, a part of her head is shaved, a part of her private part is shaved, one of her armpits is shaved and both of her hands are tied behind her, while a basket full of trash is placed on her head. She is then paraded around the community by other women.
Shey she kill person ni? What happens when a married Isan man cheats?

Anyway, na superstition sha... Make una kontinue...

God Bless Isans and Entire Edo People Forever

54 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by introvertious: 10:33am On Feb 24, 2016
The issue of purnishment wen a married woman commits adultery takes effect only if the ritual of dat purnishment was carried out on d woman after their marriage I.e There r things they do to married women after marriage(if ur husband accepts) b4 dat curse can come upon u.

....The husband of a woman who just gave birth must stay away from her sexually for three months as she’s considered unclean because of the after delivery blood she discharges...
Dis is so not true as a colleague of mine who is igbo but married to an esan man went on maternity leave(3mths) and resumed wit 1mth pregnancy though it was only her friends dat knew till d stomach bcame obvious.

Lastly, d 2nd highest number of womanizers in Nigeria are d Esan men..

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by psucc(m): 10:34am On Feb 24, 2016
@tonye. You call no. 3 superstitious? Ekpo nka Iwo ama umum, Maya atang akpaniko.

5 Likes

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by erunz(m): 10:34am On Feb 24, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

BY BROTHER NO BE SUPERSTITION OOOO, IT STILL HAPPENS. JUST THAT I THINK THE PUNISHMENT HAS BEEN MODERNIZED. AND IF THE WOMAN DOES NOT CONFESS OR GOES FOR CLEANSING SHE STARTS LOSING HER CHILDREN AT THAT POINT THE HUSBAND IS NOT SAFE ANYMORE.

ESAN OYEEEE

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by oluseyiforjesus(m): 10:36am On Feb 24, 2016
shocked
Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by Mynd44: 10:48am On Feb 24, 2016
"Almost all tradition about marriage and sexuality are made by men to keep and satisfy their overboard ego, lust and jealousy" Imanni DaSilva

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by bilulu(m): 11:15am On Feb 24, 2016
Reason y their women hardly go outside tho d d writeup is not tru...... No 3: wen a married woman commits adultery it affects d husband not d children. wen a woman commits adultery d husband should stop eating her food else he'll die except he agrees to still marry her den d normal ritual. mind u d ritual doesn't entails blood
apart from dat I don't no were d op got odas from

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by keeturah: 12:28pm On Feb 24, 2016
African traditions; always giving men freedom to commit adultery.....

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by Nobody: 1:39pm On Feb 24, 2016
Bullshiit...do people actually live their lives based on this Barbaric Archaic fake ass beliefs?...I am betting some old sogs with lame ass divks came up with this to keep their young brides from exploring their sexuality with young studs cool.

By the way I noticed I can fvck an Esan man's wife with no consequences so obviously the said "Old sogs" cheated on their wives undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by raayah(f): 1:39pm On Feb 24, 2016
Looking at the laws, you would think it's only women who exist in the world.A lot of oppression and hatred towards women.

Thank God for feminism and education that has been teaching women that this treatment is wrong and should not be tolerated.

Everyone should be held to the same standards and should be treated equally regardless of their genders!

41 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by demarc001: 1:40pm On Feb 24, 2016
People will come and be shouting superstition, although I am not living mindful of these things the truth is they are real. I grew up in a traditional home, the fact behind these things is that there are certain deity(gods) behind these rules that worships are made to (these laws are being sealed as prayers during worships) these are custodians of these rules/constitutions. They are the ones behind the effecting of punishments to defaulters. With the changes of life (urbanisation/civilisation keeping these laws e.g the woman's wrapper scenario becomes impossible in cities) like our national constitutions these laws are reviewed/prayed Off during worship to those gods so this makes the punishments no more effective when defaulted.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by McMayowa(m): 1:40pm On Feb 24, 2016
Only in Nigeira

2 Likes

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by Christane: 1:41pm On Feb 24, 2016
Everythng z associated to d woman al the belief, abominable act,nd death of are children if she tangle wit anoda man dat means d man av al the right and privelege to Bleep around witout any consequence ..i tnx God am a man .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by Sunnycliff(m): 1:41pm On Feb 24, 2016
MBA Student Hugs a Girl. . . . . GIRL : What is Dis ?? . . . BOY : Direct Marketing :p . . . GIRL : slaps a boy. . . . . BOY : What Is dis ?? . . . GIRL : Customer's FEEDBACK
But my girlfriend is an Esan, I am scared of marrying her with these stories o
Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by allanphash7(m): 1:41pm On Feb 24, 2016
Proudly omo oduduwa

2 Likes

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by UnknownT: 1:41pm On Feb 24, 2016
ok...... i hear say dem get "aeroplanes"pass their Bini neighbors

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by PrinceEvolution(m): 1:42pm On Feb 24, 2016
my people say na dog wey death don crown nor dey hear d sound of a car honking...ignorance nor be excuse wen u see poison for ground call am vegetable come eat am..
TonyeBarcanista:

1 Like

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by Nobody: 1:42pm On Feb 24, 2016
RUBBISH

3 Likes

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by McMayowa(m): 1:43pm On Feb 24, 2016
LORDSAMURAI:
RUBBISH
Eleyi gidi gan o
Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by PrinceEvolution(m): 1:43pm On Feb 24, 2016
owine obilu!!!
erunz:
BY BROTHER NO BE SUPERSTITION OOOO, IT STILL HAPPENS. JUST THAT I THINK THE PUNISHMENT HAS BEEN MODERNIZED. AND IF THE WOMAN DOES NOT CONFESS OR GOES FOR CLEANSING SHE STARTS LOSING HER CHILDREN AT THAT POINT THE HUSBAND IS NOT SAFE ANYMORE.

ESAN OYEEEE
Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by deebsman1(m): 1:43pm On Feb 24, 2016
Iranu abominations, only in Africa....spits
Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by Slimzjoe(m): 1:43pm On Feb 24, 2016
3 and 4 Is very Similar to The Anioma People Tradition in Delta State.

But that 4 Bloody....What if the Woman get bad mind and Refuses to Say? Na So Husband and Pikin Go waste like that
cry
Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by Adwexky(m): 1:43pm On Feb 24, 2016
Nothing Amazes Me, It all boils down to being principled and disciplined. And same applies to all individuals, even if you are not an ishan, please be principled.

GET A CHEAP 'n' NEAT TOKUNBO PC --- CHECK MY SIGNATURE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by headTO: 1:45pm On Feb 24, 2016
bilulu:
Reason y their women hardly go outside tho d d writeup is not tru...... No 3: wen a married woman commits adultery it affects d husband not d children. wen a woman commits adultery d husband should stop eating her food else he'll die except he agrees to still marry her den d normal ritual. mind u d ritual doesn't entails blood
apart from dat I don't no were d op got odas from

Exactly. Proudly Uromi

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by dukie25: 1:46pm On Feb 24, 2016
Ok
Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by 4nobody4every1: 1:46pm On Feb 24, 2016
Yawns cool
Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by NPComplete: 1:46pm On Feb 24, 2016
Superstitions.
I am sure there are countless Isan women who have done any number of these things but didn't face the repercussions.
There is no way I will believe that all Isan women are faithful or that all the unfaithful ones suffered the repercussions. No freaking way!!!

1 Like

Re: 9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 24, 2016
they consider having sex with your wife in the afternoon a taboo because of lazy couples. I see it as a GOOD TABOO.

Almost the same with my community in Nsukka, Enugu state; but most of them are going extinct already.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Strange Scenes From Coronation Of Oba In Benin Kingdom. / Ikwerre Names & Their Meanings / Yoruba Incantations. . . . .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.