Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,172 members, 7,815,105 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:22 AM

What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? (60197 Views)

Cars Submerged By Flood In Calabar As Man Climbs On Top His Car And Relaxes / Sex In The Car And Its Consequences / Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by autotrader2: 10:50am On May 22, 2016
obitryce:
Pls how good is hardex sn gold fully synthetic engine oil?

Why do you want to risk your US Spec Lexus RX engine with Hardex when you can have the US Spec Toyota Oil 5w30 or even the Mobil-1 Advanced Full Synthetic Oil? If you see what bad Oil can do to the engine oil strainer you will always insist on the recommended oils.

Call 09086679585 let us give you an unbeatable deal on either.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by anneki(m): 2:53pm On May 22, 2016
CastroLubeNg:
Hello Niaralander, Try Castrol Lubricants. You will be very happy you did. You can get more information on Nairaland

@ Castrolube

Another reason why I won't touch Castrol is because their 5w-20 has an API rating of SL and an ILSAC rating of GF-3.

API SL / ILSAC GF-3 certified oils are for cars manufactured between 2001 - 2004. This is something a lot of people are unaware of.

The majority of oils today are API SN / ILSAC GF-5 certified and are suitable for cars manufactured from 2010. They are also backward compatible which means you can use them where SM, SL, etc are specified.

Paying N10,000 ( or more ) for an older spec castrol oil when i can choose another brand that gives me present spec for same amount or lower makes little sense.

The awareness will only get better.

1 Like

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by nickxtra(m): 5:38pm On May 22, 2016
I use Total quartz 9000 5w40 for my Nissan Primera, but am thinking of changing to 5w30

1 Like

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by CastroLubeNg: 1:47pm On May 23, 2016
Dear NairaLanders,

Castrol Lubricants/Engine Oils are now readily available here in Nigeria. We are the Sole Licensed Distributor of Castrol Brands in Nigeria.We have our branches in Lagos, Ph and Abuja. Our Head Office is in Ikoyi, Lagos.

If you need to order, simply holla us on 08030509254,08127807783 or send us email on paulyn.ejimonye@eternaplc.com, You can also visit our blog http://castrollubricants..com.ng/ for further enquiry. Feel free to ask for further clarification. We have brands in 5Ltrs and 1ltr at very affordable prices.

You can't beat the quality..Castrol World Best.

It is not just Engine Oil, It is Liquid Engineering.

See below amazing Castrol Brands and start sending your orders now. We have promo gifts for larger quantity sales. If you are within Lagos, We have it readily delivered to you instantly, outside Lagos is also very possible.

Thank You.
anneki:

@ Castrolube

Another reason why I won't touch Castrol is because their 5w-20 has an API rating of SL and an ILSAC rating of GF-3.

API SL / ILSAC GF-3 certified oils are for cars manufactured between 2001 - 2004. This is something a lot of people are unaware of.

The majority of oils today are API SN / ILSAC GF-5 certified and are suitable for cars manufactured from 2010. They are also backward compatible which means you can use them where SM, SL, etc are specified.

Paying N10,000 ( or more ) for an older spec castrol oil when i can choose another brand that gives me present spec for same amount or lower makes little sense.

The awareness will only get better.

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by dino2006(m): 4:25pm On May 23, 2016
Hello guys. I drive a camry 2000, and service with oil SAE 5w30. Looks like the oil is scarce in the market. Pls What alternative oil spec will be compatible with my engine? Or is not advisable to change oil spec? Cc boldx
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by anneki(m): 4:49pm On May 23, 2016
dino2006:
Hello guys. I drive a camry 2000, and service with oil SAE 5w30. Looks like the oil is scarce in the market. Pls What alternative oil spec will be compatible with my engine? Or is not advisable to change oil spec? Cc boldx

Oil isn't scarce.

You have several brands ( Coastal, Milemaster, Hardex, Lubex, Castrol, Mobil1, Valvoline, etc ) in the market ranging from N6,500 to N18,000 for 5 litres.

Alternative viscosities open to you are 5w-40, 15w-40, and of course the ever popular 20w-50.

2 Likes

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by dino2006(m): 7:59pm On May 23, 2016
anneki:

Oil isn't scarce.

You have several brands ( Coastal, Milemaster, Hardex, Lubex, Castrol, Mobil1, Valvoline, etc ) in the market ranging from N6,500 to N18,000 for 5 litres.

Alternative viscosities open to you are 5w-40, 15w-40, and of course the ever popular 20w-50.

How long have you been using milemaster pls? I would like to try it out
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by anneki(m): 9:37pm On May 23, 2016
dino2006:

How long have you been using milemaster pls? I would like to try it out

About 4 yrs.

On a 2010 Honda Accord ( 5w-20 ) and a 2011 Toyota Corolla ( 5w-30 ). I have had absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Mind you i have used other brands but have stuck to Milemaster. @ N7,500 for 5 qts it makes sense especially in this regime of change!

2 Likes

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by dino2006(m): 11:50pm On May 23, 2016
RazaqMB:
Mobil1 advance full synthetic 5w30
4liters @#2700/liter=#10800

What make of car do you use?
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by RazaqMB(m): 7:14am On May 24, 2016
dino2006:

What make of car do you use?
Toyota Camry 2000 model. Performance is great now. Used quartz 9000 before mobil 1
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by dino2006(m): 9:38am On May 24, 2016
stelaar:
Mobil 1 5w 30 (imported) cost about 12k

I would be switching to the Nigerian produced 5w30 to support the naira in my next scheduled maintenance

PS: Nigeria Mobil formerly restricted customers to 20 w50 and 0 w40 but I guess they have realised customers clamour for other variants. The Nigeria mobile 5 w30 comes with a green cap on the gallon.

How much does the Nigerian produced Mobil cost per litre?
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by obitryce(m): 9:58am On May 24, 2016
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by anneki(m): 1:13pm On May 25, 2016
dino2006:

How much does the Nigerian produced Mobil cost per litre?

I doubt if the 5w-30 sold by Mobil petrol stations is manufactured / blended in Nigeria. Unless that price has changed it costs btw N7800 - 8000 for 4 litres in Lagos.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by dino2006(m): 11:11pm On May 25, 2016
anneki:

I doubt if the 5w-30 sold by Mobil petrol stations is manufactured / blended in Nigeria. Unless that price has changed it costs btw N7800 - 8000 for 4 litres in Lagos.

Yea it's what most of the Mobil stations sell. It has a green cap, compared to the ash cap of the imported variant.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by CastroLubeNg: 9:22am On May 26, 2016
Castrol Lubricant is very good, talking in terms of quality, price friendly, far better than other brands in attending to any car issue/ manufacturer's specification, global recognition, Technology, Research which evolves on a daily basis. Castrol Engine Oil is not just any lubricant...it is Liquid engineering extended to your car at every contact. Castrol Rocks See attached.

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Bright2(m): 3:52pm On Jul 30, 2016
autotrader2:

Call us 09086679585 to get the US Spec Advanced Full Synthetic Mobil-1 Oil 5w20 (5 litres) for your Honda Pilot. You can get it immediately now in PH

Why did you share phone number that has been bared from receiving calls,are you for real?
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by autotrader2: 5:35pm On Jul 30, 2016
Bright2:

Why did you share phone number that has been bared from receiving calls,are you for real?

My Brother, so sorry about that. It just happened this morning and it has been rectified by Etisalat this afternoon. Please call back or flash and l'll call immediately. My apologies
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by bigrovar(m): 6:36am On Jul 31, 2016
Use to use Mobile one 5w-30 but tough times for me to use Shell which is actually recommended for my Hyundai.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by chris81964(m): 11:33am On Jul 31, 2016
bigrovar:
Use to use Mobile one 5w-30 but tough times for me to use Shell which is actually recommended for my Hyundai.
I live in the United States where we have access to so many choices.
I have used the shell Mobil one and Walmart brand. As long as they meet some minimum requirements they are fine. Read the label and compare it to the lower cost brand. They tend to meet the same specifications.
Who you buy comes down to finance and personal preference.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by autotrader2: 2:02pm On Aug 01, 2016
autotrader2:

My Brother, so sorry about that. It just happened this morning and it has been rectified by Etisalat this afternoon. Please call back or flash and l'll call immediately. My apologies

Problem resolved. Customer has taken delivery of Mobil-1 5w20 5 Quarts.

Toyota Motor Oil 5w20 and 5w30 Available now.

Please Call or text 09086679585 to enquire and place orders Now
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by CastroLubeNg: 4:17pm On Aug 01, 2016
Hello Trunaijan, You can try Castrol Engine Oil fro optimal performance. For further details, call 08030509254. Thank You!
Trunaijian:
Just about to do some major maintenance on my car. Would apprec8 recommendation on which type of oil to use for optimal performance.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by CastroLubeNg: 4:21pm On Aug 01, 2016
Castrol Engine Oil will give you desired performance and value for your money. It offers you quality at the best price. Holla @ 08030509254 wink
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by fortunejum: 11:06pm On Aug 10, 2016
obitryce:
Pls how good is hardex sn gold fully synthetic engine oil?
I just bought it for my Toyota Camry. I am watching the performance
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by autotrader2: 9:55am On Aug 13, 2016
fortunejum:

I just bought it for my Toyota Camry. I am watching the performance

How is the performance so far? Before you compare, let us know the previous type of oil you have been using. That would really be insightful.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by anneki(m): 8:12pm On Aug 16, 2016
Mobil 1 5w-30 sold at Mobil petrol stations now N13k.

dino2006:

Yea it's what most of the Mobil stations sell. It has a green cap, compared to the ash cap of the imported variant.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by autotrader2: 8:55am On Aug 17, 2016
anneki:
Mobil 1 5w-30 sold at Mobil petrol stations now N13k.

And that is a 4 Litre pack shocked
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by anneki(m): 7:15am On Aug 18, 2016
The dollar is no longer N197.

Sellers of full synthetic 5w-20 / 5w-30 oils costing N16,000 or more for 5 qts / litres will end up closing shop and /or losing to synthetic blends costing N8,000 or less from Milemaster, Coastal, Hardex, etc. Its already happening on e-commerce sites. Rymco, Northsea, and Morgas are gone.

Don't get me wrong. Full synthetics are good but the reality is that my salary has not been increased. If a full synthetic oil costs twice as much as a synthetic blend I would want it to also last twice the distance of the synthetic blend for me to continue to afford it. Sadly that is not the case especially with synthetic blends these days lasting between 6000 and 7000kms.

Now people are going to be asking themselves if it makes sense to spend more on full synthetic especially in cases were full synthetics are not specifically recommended by the car manufacturer and that covers a huge percentage of Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, Kias, Hyundais, Fords, Lexus, Infiniti, Acuras, etc manufactured before 2014.

autotrader2:

And that is a 4 Litre pack shocked

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by autotrader2: 9:40am On Aug 18, 2016
anneki:

Sellers of full synthetic 5w-20 / 5w-30 oils costing N16,000 or more for 5 qts / litres will end up closing shop and /or losing to synthetic blends costing N8,000 or less from Milemaster, Coastal, Hardex, etc. Its already happening on e-commerce sites. Rymco, Northsea, and Morgas are gone.

Don't get me wrong. Full synthetics are good but the reality is that my salary has not been increased. If a full synthetic oil costs twice as much as a synthetic blend I would want it to also last twice the distance of the synthetic blend for me to continue to afford it. Sadly that is not the case especially with synthetic blends these days lasting between 6000 and 7000kms.

Now people are going to be asking themselves if it makes sense to spend more on full synthetic especially in cases were full synthetics are not specifically recommended by the car manufacturer and that covers a huge percentage of Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, Kias, Hyundais, Fords, Lexus, Infiniti, Acuras, etc manufactured before 2014.

Are Milemaster, Coastal, Hardex and co really synthetic?
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by mejai(m): 10:27am On Aug 18, 2016
anneki:

My broda. I almost passed out when I saw d price on Tuesday. I saw 13050. Dis is crazy.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by honmusa(m): 11:51am On Aug 18, 2016
U can still get Lubex Full synthetic 5w30 4 litre @ 9000 while the 7 litres goes for 13,000 .
Contact autologic @ 08061166316 for delivery.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by sleekcm(m): 12:07pm On Aug 18, 2016
The engine performance when you use 20W-50 is distinctly different. I could not find 5W-30 two months ago when I did servicing. I would revert to it next time, no matter how long it takes me to find it or the cost. I value my engine more.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by autotrader2: 1:28pm On Aug 18, 2016
sleekcm:

The engine performance when you use 20W-50 is distinctly different. I could not find 5W-30 two months ago when I did servicing. I would revert to it next time, no matter how long it takes me to find it or the cost. I value my engine more.

Smart Guy. It is definitely cheaper to have a smooth trouble free engine by using the recommended oil for your car grin
Buzz me 09086679585 to get a fantastic deal on the US Spec 5W-30

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Toyota Corolla Or Mini Bus Suzuki. Which One Is Suitable For Transport Business? / China Unveils Luxury Motorhome With A Second Storey And An Elevator (Photos) / Innoson Unveils New Shuttle Bus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.