Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,284 members, 7,818,959 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? - Car Talk (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? (60277 Views)

Cars Submerged By Flood In Calabar As Man Climbs On Top His Car And Relaxes / Sex In The Car And Its Consequences / Getting Rid Of Engine Oil Shortages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Waladade4luv(m): 7:06am On Oct 06, 2016
nurey:

no wonder your LEXUS RX300 is smoking angry we the landlords in your area will file a action law suit against you for polluting our environment tongue
Lolz its not smoking oh, its ES300
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by pragmatistm(m): 9:52pm On Oct 06, 2016
Waladade4luv:

10w30 is stated on d owners manual but since I av been using it for long won't it affect the engine if I change it now although I av a Toyota Siena engine inside
I don't think it would affect it. If you use it, try and check for any oil leaks and shortage in the oil level. If there's none as you are using the car, you are safe.

I used the Mobil 20w50 my mechanic put in my year 2000 Nissan primera for around 3months and changed to 10w40 semisynthetic since about 3 years now without any issues. In fact I haven't changed the ignition plugs that came with the engine till date.

1 Like

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Nobody: 11:53am On Oct 08, 2016
Total 5000 20w/50
Accord 03
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by dreyposh: 1:26pm On Oct 08, 2016
Get your Mobil-1 @ distributing price from Mobil distributing branch office. Mobil-1 (4litres goes) for 13k
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Waladade4luv(m): 1:47pm On Oct 08, 2016
pragmatistm:
I don't think it would affect it. If you use it, try and check for any oil leaks and shortage in the oil level. If there's none as you are using the car, you are safe.

I used the Mobil 20w50 my mechanic put in my year 2000 Nissan primera for around 3months and changed to 10w40 semisynthetic since about 3 years now without any issues. In fact I haven't changed the ignition plugs that came with the engine till date.
no leakages at all and the oil is always guage anf i change it every three months
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by pragmatistm(m): 8:06pm On Oct 08, 2016
Waladade4luv:
no leakages at all and the oil is always guage anf i change it every three months
I asked you to change to recommended oil and observe if there are leakages. Have you done that? I don't understand your "no leakages" comment.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Waladade4luv(m): 7:29am On Oct 09, 2016
pragmatistm:
I asked you to change to recommended oil and observe if there are leakages. Have you done that? I don't understand your "no leakages" comment.

The 10w30 recomemded oil for lexus or the recomemded one for siena engine, which is the recomended for siena sef, or which should i try
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by nurey(m): 7:45am On Oct 09, 2016
Waladade4luv:

The 10w30 recomemded oil for lexus or the recomemded one for siena engine, which is the recomended for siena sef, or which should i try

The same year Lexus Rx300 and ES300 share same engine with sienna. My sienna is 5w30 recommend on the cap not 10w30.

So check your engine cap or manual for clarification. But as it is, I would advise you switch to 10w first if there is no adverse effects after a year then you can switch to 5w then. Switching from 20w straight to 5w can be detrimental.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Waladade4luv(m): 10:17am On Oct 09, 2016
nurey:

The same year Lexus Rx300 and ES300 share same engine with sienna. My sienna is 5w30 recommend on the cap not 10w30.

So check your engine cap or manual for clarification. But as it is, I would advise you switch to 10w first if there is no adverse effects after a year then you can switch to 5w then. Switching from 20w straight to 5w can be detrimental.
thanks boss for the. Piece of advice but what are the brands available for 10w30 and dia prices, then dueation of dia service thqnk you

1 Like

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by nurey(m): 10:53am On Oct 09, 2016
Waladade4luv:
thanks boss for the. Piece of advice but what are the brands available for 10w30 and dia prices, then dueation of dia service thqnk you

The 10w is a semi synthetic engine oil, I can't tell you how long to use it but you can find out online. It's only MRS Price I know their 10w40 sells for 6k or 6500. I know total has a 15w or so. But you can find out online or from reputable stores what they have and brands
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by pragmatistm(m): 11:05am On Oct 09, 2016
Waladade4luv:

Try and use the 10w30 recommended for your car.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by uchlukez(f): 11:57am On Oct 11, 2016
Pls, I have been looking for Honda oil 0w-20 which is the recommended for my 2012 Accord. I have not been able to see one. Can I use this Toyota 0w-20?

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Oct 11, 2016
Quit an interesting thread to behold. Choice of Engine oil to use for your vehicle, depends on a number of factors. Age is a basic factor.
Engine bearings, oil galleries wear with vehicle age. Generally the 20W-50 is recommended for older vehicles for good flowability. 5W-30 is recommended for newer vehicles of less than a 100,000KM.
For Most vehicles, I will recommend the HARDEX synthethic engine oil. It's an API SG/CF high performance engine oil with the following features:
1. Enable easy Low temperature starting
2. Minimizes oil and fuel consumption
3. Give longer battery life
4. Provide maximum protection to engine parts against wear and corrosion
5. Ensure full cleanliness by holding contaminants in finely dispersed state.

This high performance engine oil matches the mobile 1 but for a very affordable price of N5000. It's rarely available in the Nigerian market.
Contact us at NIYEK Automobile Service centre, Mabushi district Abuja for a service with this motor oil. You'll be convinced with a trial.

08032410846. 08139217632
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 11, 2016
uchlukez:
Pls, I have been looking for Honda oil 0w-20 which is the recommended for my 2012 Accord. I have not been able to see one. Can I use this Toyota 0w-20?

0W-20 is a multi grade engine oil that enables easy starting at 0C while maintaining good fluidity at 20 degree celcius. My Brother, the Nigerian Temperature is far higher than this specifications. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE. This is for winter regions.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by anneki(m): 10:56pm On Oct 11, 2016
See link below

http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php

Are you sure Hardex is API SG rated ? The rating is for cars dated 1993 and earlier. That's 13 years ago at the minimum.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by anneki(m): 11:03pm On Oct 11, 2016
Quite a number of car manufacturers that sell cars in cold and hot regions will disagree with you. Check the data sheets of motor oils with that rating and you will discover that 0w-20 operates in temperature bands wider than 0 and 20 degrees celcius.

DONALDC:

0W-20 is a multi grade engine oil that enables easy starting at 0C while maintaining good fluidity at 20 degree celcius. My Brother, the Nigerian Temperature is far higher than this specifications. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE. This is for winter regions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by anneki(m): 11:10pm On Oct 11, 2016
Most definitely.

Motor oil is base oil + additives. The oil formulation of honda vs toyota is similar. Do a google search. Check www.bobistheoilguy.com. They have done quite a number of comparisons.

uchlukez:
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by khaleesi(f): 9:00am On Oct 13, 2016
Hello everyone, please I need help. Why is my toyota consuming so much oil? I just bought this 2006 toyota matrix some months ago. Since then, I have had to either top oil or change oil every month, sometimes twice in a month. The last experience, I changed the oil 2 weeks ago and as at this morning, I couldnt drive it cause the oil was "short".. I need help on why my engine consumes oil so much
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by USPlaceofAutos: 2:08pm On Oct 13, 2016
Contact Information:
US Place of Autos
10, Veteran Plaza,
433 Herbert Macaulay way,
St Agnes,
Yaba, Lagos
Telephone: 09035870964
E-mail: info@usplaceofautos.com
Twitter handle: @usplaceofautos

...Quality Guaranteed

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by fortunejum: 2:29pm On Oct 13, 2016
autotrader2:

How is the performance so far? Before you compare, let us know the previous type of oil you have been using. That would really be insightful.
The performance is OK. I will still use it in my next service.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by fortunejum: 2:40pm On Oct 13, 2016
DONALDC:
Quit an interesting thread to behold. Choice of Engine oil to use for your vehicle, depends on a number of factors. Age is a basic factor.
Engine bearings, oil galleries wear with vehicle age. Generally the 20W-50 is recommended for older vehicles for good flowability. 5W-30 is recommended for newer vehicles of less than a 100,000KM.
For Most vehicles, I will recommend the HARDEX synthethic engine oil. It's an API SG/CF high performance engine oil with the following features:
1. Enable easy Low temperature starting
2. Minimizes oil and fuel consumption
3. Give longer battery life
4. Provide maximum protection to engine parts against wear and corrosion
5. Ensure full cleanliness by holding contaminants in finely dispersed state.

This high performance engine oil matches the mobile 1 but for a very affordable price of N5000. It's rarely available in the Nigerian market.
Contact us at NIYEK Automobile Service centre, Mabushi district Abuja for a service with this motor oil. You'll be convinced with a trial.

08032410846. 08139217632
How am I sure that your HARDEX engine oil is original at that price? I bought mine at the rate of #9500 in Port Harcourt.
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by anneki(m): 7:28pm On Oct 13, 2016
fortunejum:

How am I sure that your HARDEX engine oil is original at that price? I bought mine at the rate of #9500 in Port Harcourt.

Did he say the hardex is API SG ? That's for cars manufactured in 1993 and earlier. See attached document.

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by tolulinks(m): 10:27pm On Oct 13, 2016
Am I the only one using CEPSA Avant 20w50 for my honda Accord?
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by nurey(m): 5:40am On Oct 14, 2016
tolulinks:

continue using palm oil in your car grin
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:16am On Oct 14, 2016
tolulinks:

what year sir?
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by autotrader2: 8:19am On Oct 27, 2016
khaleesi:
Hello everyone, please I need help. Why is my toyota consuming so much oil? I just bought this 2006 toyota matrix some months ago. Since then, I have had to either top oil or change oil every month, sometimes twice in a month. The last experience, I changed the oil 2 weeks ago and as at this morning, I couldnt drive it cause the oil was "short".. I need help on why my engine consumes oil so much

What type of oil are you using for it?
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by tolulinks(m): 2:17pm On Oct 27, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

what year sir?
Oga Gazzuzz, na 2006 model รณ. You recommended it to me when I told you I sometimes see smoke from the exhaust
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by cbravo2: 3:08pm On Nov 17, 2016
AN ASSESSMENT OF THE FACTORS THAT INFLUENCE THE PURPOSE OF THE PHILIPS LUBRICANTS BY CAR USERS IN LAGOS STATE

http://www.bravoprojecthelp.com/marketing/an-assessment-of-the-factors-that-influence-the-purpose-of-the-philips-lubricants-by-car-users-in-lagos-state/
Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by USPlaceofAutos: 9:52am On Nov 18, 2016
Lubricate with DuraMAX Motor Oil.

Contact Information:
US Place of Autos
10, Veteran Plaza,
433 Herbert Macaulay way,
St Agnes,
Yaba, Lagos
Telephone: 09035870964
E-mail: info@usplaceofautos.com
Twitter handle: @usplaceofautos

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by greenengine: 8:50am On Dec 02, 2016
Use G-revo Lubrication Technology Products for excellent engine performance and protection even during Lub or coolant loss! Call 08033527026/ Any Automedics workshops nationwide.

1 Share

Re: What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? by Midasola: 8:54am On Dec 05, 2016
Pennzoil Platinum 5w30
approx $40 for Box of 6 quarts
(1GR-FE 4.0L V6 engine requires 5.2 Liters, 5.5 US quarts)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Toyota Corolla Or Mini Bus Suzuki. Which One Is Suitable For Transport Business? / China Unveils Luxury Motorhome With A Second Storey And An Elevator (Photos) / Innoson Unveils New Shuttle Bus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.