Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,484 members, 7,830,445 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14232) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11755656 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14229) (14230) (14231) (14232) (14233) (14234) (14235) ... (16184) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 11:08am On Feb 13, 2023
andrewbaba44:

I no wan hear that talk ooo

Maybe if Morocco made the World Cup finals we might understand

Seria A title and nothing will stop victor

Hakimi for sure but individual rating osimehn wins by a wide margin.

But hakimi and World Cup run will make a great case

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:10am On Feb 13, 2023
KINGinVAHALA:

Ake just like Akanji are overhyped and they are the reason man city aren’t top of the table this season.

Let Diaz starts pairing Laporte or Stones again and watch if Man City won’t win their next 5 or more matches conceding minimal goals in the process

Who overhyped Ake and Akanji? We bought Akanji for 15m. I doubt that is the price for an overhyped player.

We are still in shot for the title. There is no guarantee that with Diaz and Laporte we won't drop points. We have lost matches with both in the team.

Finally, Ake is doing brilliantly playing as a left back. I think he deserves more praise than scrutiny. He has been good.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 11:10am On Feb 13, 2023
Amedino99:
normal jealousy is expected. Osihmen has already been more useful than kudus will ever be.

No stain osimehn with disrespect

Compare kudus to hot/cold chukwueze

Osibimber is leagues ahead

Or make he go eredivisel go dominate like a mad dog

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 11:39am On Feb 13, 2023
Napoleon55:

I'm even looking at ballon d'or top 10 finish,
His rating has continued to go up .
If he continues like this,this year or next year APOtY is sure 4 him.

He will not be in top 5 for APOTY this year because of World cup

Remember this comment

Also remember that normally, CAF no too like Nigerians
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:01pm On Feb 13, 2023
Blueelf:

Remember this comment

I dunno who else is having a good club season that will make VO, bound for the serie A title and more, to be overlook in final 3 for Cafpoty, whether world cup or not. Asides the Moroccans with some great individual performance at the WC, i see no one else with a WC performance able to deny him that spot.

As for club, he is topmost right now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:13pm On Feb 13, 2023
When I said this someone was saying Hakimi and WC this and that like say he score hattrick and was winning MOTM anyhow in the tournament.

Speaking realistically Mahrez could be Victor's main competition for APOTY. Osimhen already has a good shot if/when he wins the Serie A however finishing as Caponieri and going far in the UCL would absolutely cement it for me.

andrewbaba44:
Can anyone tell me what’s going to stop victor osimhen from winning the APOTY ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:15pm On Feb 13, 2023
Blueelf:

Remember this comment

You guys are putting too much into Morocco's world cup run...

Hakimi is the only player from that Morocco squad that stands a better chance against Osimhen... If PSG wins the champions league,then he will have a solid case!

This year alone, Osimhen can win:
Serie A
Serie A top scorer
Serie A best player
AFCON qualifiers top scorer

That's a solid case right there....

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:15pm On Feb 13, 2023
Please list post the stats of the individual Moroccan player at the WC that will make them worthy of APOTY.

Blueelf:

Remember this comment

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:17pm On Feb 13, 2023
Oghenekaro Etebo FT Stats for Aris Thessaloniki yesterday.

Aris Thessaloniki 1-2 Panathinaikos - Greek Super League Matchday 22.

Played 83mins.
47 touches.
2 pass entries into Final third.
35/36 accurate passes.
97% passing accuracy.
100% dribbling success.
6/8 ground duels won.
9 recoveries.
4 tackles.
2 interceptions.
1 clearance.
Was fouled once.

*Etebo recorded the highest passing accuracy (97%) of all players to play 45mins or more in the game.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:21pm On Feb 13, 2023
Moses Odubajo, RB scored yesterday for Aris Thessaloniki in their 2-1 loss to Panathinaikos.

It was his 1st goal of the league season.

He has 1 goal, 1 assist, 3 cleansheets in 17 league games (13 starts).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KINGinVAHALA: 12:23pm On Feb 13, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

Who overhyped Ake and Akanji? We bought Akanji for 15m. I doubt that is the price for an overhyped player.

We are still in shot for the title. There is no guarantee that with Diaz and Laporte we won't drop points. We have lost matches with both in the team.

Finally, Ake is doing brilliantly playing as a left back. I think he deserves more praise than scrutiny. He has been good.
They are both hyped by both Guardiola and Man city supporters and that’s why Guardiola brought both of them into starting 11, benching Laporte and Diaz whom we both know are better than them. Even Stones is better than Ake and Akanji to be.
Playing Both Diaz, Laporte and or Stones brings more stability to man city defense and the team in General
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:23pm On Feb 13, 2023
Concrete solid!

The bold sef is not even enough because if PSG wins it would be because any of Messi, Neymar or Mbappe did the business not Hakimi.
Danielnino00:

You guys are putting too much into Morocco's world cup run...

Hakimi is the only player from that Morocco squad that stands a better chance against Osimhen... If PSG wins the champions league,then he will have a solid case!

This year alone, Osimhen can win:
Serie A
Serie A top scorer
Serie A best player
AFCON qualifiers top scorer

That's a solid case right there....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KINGinVAHALA: 12:26pm On Feb 13, 2023
maidaboi:
ok What about Arsenal goalkeeper that got relegated
What concerns Arsenal goalkeeper that got relegated with my post?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:35pm On Feb 13, 2023
Osimhen's countdown to the 100 Goals Club

Victor Osimhen now has 9️⃣9️⃣ Senior Career Goals and 31🅰️ for Club and Country across 196 games (150 starts).

That's a Goals+Assists contribution of 130 for Club and Country.

Next Game: v Sassuolo (Serie A) on Fri.

The Countdown to Goal 1️⃣0️⃣0️⃣ is on for the Monster Machine.

The Breakdown:

For the Super Eagles: 15 Goals, 8 🅰️ in 22 International Caps (18 starts).

For Clubs: 84 Goals, 23🅰️ in 174 games (132 starts).

Flying to 100🦅🦅💥

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:39pm On Feb 13, 2023
KINGinVAHALA:

They are both hyped by both Guardiola and Man city supporters and that’s why Guardiola brought both of them into starting 11, benching Laporte and Diaz whom we both know are better than them. Even Stones is better than Ake and Akanji to be.
Playing Both Diaz, Laporte and or Stones brings more stability to man city defense and the team in General

It takes more than just being better. You can like a player based on some particular attributes but they do not suit the attributes another coach wants.

For instance, Emiliano Martinez is a far better shot-stopper than Ederson. However, due to Ederson's confidence in the buildup phase of the game, Guardiola will prefer him.

Diaz for instance has never played as a left or right back for City. It shows he lacks versatility in plays and limiting in tactical flexibility during plays.

So, it is beyond overhyping.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:58pm On Feb 13, 2023
chrisooblog:
Concrete solid!

The bold sef is not even enough because if PSG wins it would be because any of Messi, Neymar or Mbappe did the business not Hakimi.

Some folks on this thread never really rated Osimhen,so I'm not surprised at the disrespect it's getting. It's just that I expected the even the most bias of them all to be at least objective to some extent.

Remember 2017 when Moses was instrumental to that Chelsea team that came from 10th to win the premier league title under Conte.. He didn't win the APOTY...none of the Cameroon players that won the AFCON that year got it either... It was Salah who was breaking records in his first season with Liverpool that won it... Osimhen is on course to break records this year with Napoli..only injury can stop him!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 1:08pm On Feb 13, 2023
Blueelf:

Remember this comment

WC was not played this year,whether it would be used to judge d award that will be given towards d end of this year,I don't know.
But what I know is that if he continues to perform at this rate, possibly winning the Italian league,top goal scorer, league's mvp, champion's league great showing.
My brother, I will even b looking beyond APOTY but ballon d'or top 10 finish.

U cannot expect caf to overlook a player who finished higher at the ballon d'or list n give it to a player who did not.

Go check d record, almost all d time ,a player who finished highest at d ballon dor ends up winning APOTY,n this year won't b exception.
If it's Mane that finishes highest at d ballon dor,he will likely win it.

Moreover,by d time d awards would b given,WC performances would have been forgotten by many.

And that caf dont like Nigerian players will not stop anything.
We've had Nigerian players won d award several times in d past.
If a Nigerian player out performs every other players beyond any reasonable doubt,he will surely win it.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gannod(m): 1:25pm On Feb 13, 2023
zuchyblink:
What our Banku bredas think about Osimhen.

cheesy cheesy cheesy Ghanaians as usual can never hide their jealousy. Kudus ko, kunu ni..one of the reasons the Ghanaian national team have not achieved anything of note is their overated players. Cameroun and Egypt have won Afcon 5 times each after the last one Ghana won but you hardly see their fans bragging unnecessarily.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 2:01pm On Feb 13, 2023
There's no need to continue this conversation. cheesy grin. You would be wasting your time. Our people are statphobic. Anyway, we are all at the mercy of time. We will revisit this in about 10 games. cheesy
komekn:

What reputation ❓

One very good season out of 6 seasons so far the rest have been abysmally poor.

No amount of statistical manipulation is going to make him a top striker.

The key component for quality is CONSISTENCY, which in one regard he has been consistently poor.

You may wish to say because he didn't start games or enough game time. Luckily all the strikers for Leicester in the HERE and NOW are poor including Vardy.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 2:06pm On Feb 13, 2023
[b][/b]
Napoleon55:

WC was not played this year,whether it would be used to judge d award that will be given towards d end of this year,I don't know.
But what I know is that if he continues to perform at this rate, possibly winning the Italian league,top goal scorer, league's mvp, champion's league great showing.
My brother, I will even b looking beyond APOTY but ballon d'or top 10 finish.

U cannot expect caf to overlook a player who finished higher at the ballon d'or list n give it to a player who did not.

Go check d record, almost all d time ,a player who finished highest at d ballon dor ends up winning APOTY,n this year won't b exception.
If it's Mane that finishes highest at d ballon dor,he will likely win it.

Moreover,by d time d awards would b given,WC performances would have been forgotten by many.

And that caf dont like Nigerian players will not stop anything.
We've had Nigerian players won d award several times in d past.
If a Nigerian player out performs every other players beyond any reasonable doubt,he will surely win it.

loll

sha don't cry foul when CAF disappoints you people

I no wan hear "Ojoro CAF"
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KINGinVAHALA: 2:38pm On Feb 13, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

It takes more than just being better. You can like a player based on some particular attributes but they do not suit the attributes another coach wants.

For instance, Emiliano Martinez is a far better shot-stopper than Ederson. However, due to Ederson's confidence in the buildup phase of the game, Guardiola will prefer him.

Diaz for instance has never played as a left or right back for City. It shows he lacks versatility in plays and limiting in tactical flexibility during plays.

So, it is beyond overhyping.
Guardiola should stop experimenting, that was what cost him the UCL, losing to Chelsea. He should know better
Since Cancelo has left to Bayern, Ake can play 3 and he should pair him with Diaz and Stones or Laporte at the center and Walker as RB and stop doing nonsense experiments that has always cost him vital victories.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 2:39pm On Feb 13, 2023
KINGinVAHALA:

What concerns Arsenal goalkeeper that got relegated with my post?
a good player can get relegated
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:55pm On Feb 13, 2023
Danielnino00:

Out of bias, obviously you've decided to judge Iheanacho purely on his premier league career with Leicester.. Yet, he holds the record as the only player to score in every single days of the week in premier league history. statistically, he is 15th on the ranking of players with the best goal+assists to minutes played ratio... I'm very sure somebody like Weghorst that joined Man Utd recently didn't have that kind of reputation...

Relax.. you will be here when Iheanacho secures a move out of Leicester...

You mean out of the EPL that is not in dispute.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 3:33pm On Feb 13, 2023
I don’t understand some people tho,

First of all, what do you mean “IF” Osihmen/Napoli wins the league ?? The Seria A league is Won and decided, na formalities remain.

2ndly- what do y’all mean when you say, “IF” he keeps improving.
8 goals in like 6 matches. Top of the league by a mile, Top of the scoring chart. Omor.

3rdly- one man say Osihmen is not Top 5 APOTY. (Damn, I wish I can knock ur head sir)
As far as I’m concern, I don’t care about the APOTY anymore. Maybe before this season, but, in the HERE AND NOW, I’m more concerned where Osihmen will rank in the Top 10 of the world. Man is currently BIGGER than what ANY African can bring at the moment.

Stop playing.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:35pm On Feb 13, 2023
KINGinVAHALA:

Guardiola should stop experimenting, that was what cost him the UCL, losing to Chelsea. He should know better
Since Cancelo has left to Bayern, Ake can play 3 and he should pair him with Diaz and Stones or Laporte at the center and Walker as RB and stop doing nonsense experiments that has always cost him vital victories.

You are forgetting that Guardiola has gotten lots of vital victories too. The experiments make his style and it works for him more often than it fails.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 3:51pm On Feb 13, 2023
Starboytwo:

First of all, what do you mean “IF” Osihmen/Napoli wins the league ?? The Seria A league is Won and decided, na formalities remain.

8 goals in like 6 matches. Top of the league by a mile, Top of the scoring chart. Omor.

3rdly- one man say Osihmen is not Top 5 APOTY. (Damn, I wish I can knock ur head sir)
As far as I’m concern, I don’t care about the APOTY anymore. Maybe before this season, but, in the HERE AND NOW, I’m more concerned where Osihmen will rank in the Top 10 of the world. Man is currently BIGGER than what ANY African can bring at the moment.

Stop playing.
Them just dey play

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 3:55pm On Feb 13, 2023
Danielnino00:

Some people will blame Gerrard's slip as what caused Liverpool the league in 2014, but for me, it was Rodgers's lack of insight into our defence problem... That season we scored over a hundred goals and conceded over 50.... We basically won most games by outscoring our opponents... It wasn't until that ill fated Crystal Palace game that everything burst!
His Leicester team plays exactly the same way... Good attack, terrible defence...
Any tactical genius will identify flaws in his game and work toward fixing them..

Thegoodjoe, I think Rodgers is an offensive tactical genius,not exactly a real genius..... Man won't succeed at a top club (Don't mention Celtic)

Even though I do use it to banter Liverpool fans ,it was never Gerard slip that cost them the title .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:20pm On Feb 13, 2023
benji93:
There's no need to continue this conversation. cheesy grin. You would be wasting your time. Our people are statphobic. Anyway, we are all at the mercy of time. We will revisit this in about 10 games. cheesy

And after 10 games, will you be man enough to come here and admit you were wrong,or will you continue following Komekn sheepishly to evade and make excuses?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 4:45pm On Feb 13, 2023
Starboytwo:

Stop playing.
He need to keep performing to stand a chance of winning any individual awards,being the best is all about consistency.
He is not d only player doing well,if he slows down,others might overtake him, don't u think.
He must continue to deliver week in week out to remain in d conversation, people have short memory,even u will forget this 9 goals he scored in one month if he fails to score in d next 3 months.

And don't think that d league is won already,this is marathon, anything can happen before d end.
Serious injury to their key players(God forbids) can affect their chances

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 5:14pm On Feb 13, 2023
komekn:

What reputation ❓

One very good season out of 6 seasons so far the rest have been abysmally poor.

No amount of statistical manipulation is going to make him a top striker.

The key component for quality is CONSISTENCY, which in one regard he has been consistently poor.

You may wish to say because he didn't start games or enough game time. Luckily all the strikers for Leicester in the HERE and NOW are poor including Vardy.

This is one of the very few komekn's post I agree with

KC nacho is very inconsistent

YOu guy's forget that his inconsistency made Rorhr drop him from the bronze winning AFCON squad

The guy has been on poor form. If you're as good, even a sentimental coach like rodgers won't have any choice but to play you

Dude is overrated because he is many people's favorite here. Same way people overrate Nwakali. This is someone who can' survive the EPL talk less of the spanish lower division where he is plying his trade. I even saw a post celebratinghim as one of the top 15 players in spanish lowerdivision. Haba!!! Have we come this low? And this is the same person some people are pushing to anchor the midfield of the super eagles

Lollll

I won't tow the path of self-deceit

cc thesupernerd

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BannedLarge: 5:19pm On Feb 13, 2023
People are forgetting that if Bayern Munich wins the league and champions league, there’s Sadio mane, if man city wins the league and champions league, there’s mahrez, if Arsenal wins the league and World Cup, there’s Partey even salah has 21 goals in all competitions this season and if Liverpool wins champions league, there’s Salah. As for Moroccans, at least 1 or 2 of them are guaranteed a place in the top 3 for their historic performance at the World Cup. You can belittle it but forget that we were humbled by ordinary bad Ghana team.. Inclusion, if Osimhen see top 3 APOY this season sef, it’s a big W to him. This is how we were hyping certain players prior to Ghana game until we were humbled
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:20pm On Feb 13, 2023
Blueelf:

This is one of the very few komekn's post I agree with

KC nacho is very inconsistent

YOu guy's forget that his inconsistency made Rorhr drop him from the bronze winning AFCON squad

The guy has been on poor form. If you're as good, even a sentimental coach like rodgers won't have any choice but to play you

Dude is overrated because he is many people's favorite here. Same way people overrate Nwakali. This is someone who can' survive the EPL talk less of the spanish lower division where he is plying his trade. I even saw a post celebratinghim as one of the top 15 players in spanish lowerdivision. Haba!!! Have we come this low? And this is the same person some people are pushing to anchor the midfield of the super eagles

Lollll

I won't tow the path of self-deceit

cc thesupernerd

You guys are experts at running down Kelechi Nwakali but you can not name the midfielder that can control our midfield with long balls. Stop telling us Kelechi Nwakali is terrible. Tell us who can do the job. We are waiting. Tell us who is better than Kelechi Nwakali in long ball play.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (14229) (14230) (14231) (14232) (14233) (14234) (14235) ... (16184) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Lyster360, Suzzytee05(f), opes, Truidstarr, charlesemeka85(m), Ajd19, quickberry(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.