Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,298 members, 7,829,694 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14233) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11752238 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14230) (14231) (14232) (14233) (14234) (14235) (14236) ... (16182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:23pm On Feb 13, 2023
BannedLarge:
People are forgetting that if Bayern Munich wins the league and champions league, there’s Sadio mane, if man city wins the league and champions league, there’s mahrez, if Arsenal wins the league and World Cup, there’s Partey even salah has 21 goals in all competitions this season and if Liverpool wins champions league, there’s Salah. As for Moroccans, at least 1 or 2 of them are guaranteed a place in the top 3 for their historic performance at the World Cup. You can belittle it but forget that we were humbled by ordinary bad Ghana team.. Inclusion, if Osimhen see top 3 APOY this season sef, it’s a big W to him. This is how we were hyping certain players prior to Ghana game until we were humbled

All you are typing here is patching. We are talking of historic individual recognition.

If Osimhen takes the Golden boot, wins the Serie A League title, it is hard to deny him the APOTY.

Finito.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 6:13pm On Feb 13, 2023
I just finished watching Emmanuel Orban's YouTube clips. Dude could be the next big thing.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 6:26pm On Feb 13, 2023
BannedLarge:
People are forgetting that if Bayern Munich wins the league and champions league, there’s Sadio mane, if man city wins the league and champions league, there’s mahrez, if Arsenal wins the league and World Cup, there’s Partey even salah has 21 goals in all competitions this season and if Liverpool wins champions league, there’s Salah. As for Moroccans, at least 1 or 2 of them are guaranteed a place in the top 3 for their historic performance at the World Cup. You can belittle it but forget that we were humbled by ordinary bad Ghana team.. Inclusion, if Osimhen see top 3 APOY this season sef, it’s a big W to him. This is how we were hyping certain players prior to Ghana game until we were humbled
Big man, this is a classic case of Agenda must agend.

Even if Bayern wins the FIFA World Cup, nothing for Mane.(out injured)
If man city win the league/ucl(not possible anyway) nothing for mahrez, although he is really trying this season, Currently 28 match 11 goals, 5 assist all competition.

Now this is funny, so if Arsenal win the league, they will now give Partey APOTY grin dem never even born the guy wey go born the guy wey go win Apoty for Ghana.

Sallah has 17 goals in 31 apps all competitions

Now imagine azzedinne ounahi winning APOTY cuz you reach semi final.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 6:27pm On Feb 13, 2023
zuchyblink:
I just finished watching Emmanuel Orban's YouTube clips. Dude could be the next big thing.
really make I go watch am, I don Dey hear the guy too much lately.

But instincts tells me there’s a breakout star this year for us. Dunno which team, u17, u20 or in Europe already, sadly he is a striker. We need to start making goal keepers, midfielders and defenders more.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:30pm On Feb 13, 2023
Blueelf:

This is one of the very few komekn's post I agree with

KC nacho is very inconsistent

YOu guy's forget that his inconsistency made Rorhr drop him from the bronze winning AFCON squad

The guy has been on poor form. If you're as good, even a sentimental coach like rodgers won't have any choice but to play you

Dude is overrated because he is many people's favorite here. Same way people overrate Nwakali. This is someone who can' survive the EPL talk less of the spanish lower division where he is plying his trade. I even saw a post celebratinghim as one of the top 15 players in spanish lowerdivision. Haba!!! Have we come this low? And this is the same person some people are pushing to anchor the midfield of the super eagles

Lollll

I won't tow the path of self-deceit

cc thesupernerd

Nacho is far from being my favorite....I don't do favorites self... Either in the super eagles or Liverpool....

You keep saying Iheanacho is inconsistent,yet some players have been brought in at Leicester to displace him over the past few years. Players like Diabete, Perez, Daka and that Mahrez lookalike from Algeria... He has performed better than all of them and he helped Rodgers win the FA cup and community shield. Leicester is not a big club, so by all means, Iheanacho is performing up to the required standard...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 6:57pm On Feb 13, 2023
The Osimhen effect

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 6:57pm On Feb 13, 2023
benji93:
There's no need to continue this conversation. cheesy grin. You would be wasting your time. Our people are statphobic. Anyway, we are all at the mercy of time. We will revisit this in about 10 games. cheesy
Just an FYI, Garth Crooks on BBC listed Iheanacho om his EPL team of the week.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 7:04pm On Feb 13, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

You guys are experts at running down Kelechi Nwakali but you can not name the midfield that can control our midfield with long balls. Stop telling us Kelechi Nwakali is terrible. Tell us who can do the job. We are waiting. Tell us who is better than Kelechi Nwakali in long ball play.
I thought you wanted us to adopt short and intricate passing and not police balls grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:14pm On Feb 13, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

You guys are experts at running down Kelechi Nwakali but you can not name the midfield that can control our midfield with long balls. Stop telling us Kelechi Nwakali is terrible. Tell us who can do the job. We are waiting. Tell us who is better than Kelechi Nwakali in long ball play.

First of all you are making the very basic skill set of "long ball" distribution as some high level unattainable skill set.

In reality it's a basic skill set not an outstanding exceptional one, players who have a far better array of skill sets resort it to it now and again not continuously. We have not descended to the leve of playing police game.

In this regard any Nigerian midfield player that is playing in the EPL, Championship and League one are better options than him .

Any Nigerian Midfielder playing in the top 10 leagues of Europe is a better option.

Consider that one of our best Midfielders in recent times Etebo plays in the Greek Super league and thats rated 20 in Europe.

The Segundo is very very low standard to use the term quality is an over statement, with regards to the Segundo division.

For a direct example I would say all the midfielders in Sheffield Wednesday in league one are better than him. For example ;

Adeshina Bakinson
Fisayo Dele-Bashiru
Dennis Adeniran

What's remarkable but not to me Fisayo is wanted by several EPL teams with AC Milan, PSV expressing an interest among other across Europe.

I watched him play for Manchester City against Liverpool FC U21 and he was the outstanding player not Harvey Elliott.

For context a little clip.

https://twitter.com/Carabao_Cup/status/1575797603496697857?s=20&t=aRiqQYXivWHJmT3vXZvfbQ

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:41pm On Feb 13, 2023
Danielnino00:

Nacho is far from being my favorite....I don't do favorites self... Either in the super eagles or Liverpool....

You keep saying Iheanacho is inconsistent,yet some players have been brought in at Leicester to displace him over the past few years. Players like Diabete, Perez, Daka and that Mahrez lookalike from Algeria... He has performed better than all of them and he helped Rodgers win the FA cup and community shield. Leicester is not a big club, so by all means, Iheanacho is performing up to the required standard...

With regards to the bold self deception is the worst kind of deception.

First question who has been there the oldest ❓

Daka has played the same amount of games as KC this season and they are both poor as forward players with too few goals to be called quality.

Perez is gone to Real Betis he is also winger so the comparison is not relevant. Nonetheless, he has been abysmal and poor after £30 million transfer.

He has gone to Real Betis and is already getting games he was essentially bench warmer and brought in for Cup games for most of his time at Liecester City.

Diabata played his last game for Leicester in 2019 and was sold in 2020. Is he relevant to this discussion, he not an out an out striker

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:41pm On Feb 13, 2023
Blueelf:

YOu guy's forget that his inconsistency made Rorhr drop him from the bronze winning AFCON squad

The guy has been on poor form. If you're as good, even a sentimental coach like rodgers won't have any choice but to play you

Dude is overrated because he is many people's favorite here. Same way people overrate Nwakali. This is someone who can' survive the EPL talk less of the spanish lower division where he is plying his trade. I even saw a post celebratinghim as one of the top 15 players in spanish lowerdivision. Haba!!! Have we come this low? And this is the same person some people are pushing to anchor the midfield of the super eagles

Lollll

cc thesupernerd
💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 7:53pm On Feb 13, 2023
komekn:

First of all you are making the very basic skill set of "long ball" distribution as some high level unattainable skill set.

In reality it's a basic skill set not an outstanding exceptional one, players who have a far better array of skill sets resort it to it now and again not continuously. We have not descended to the leve of playing police game.

In this regard any Nigerian midfield player that is playing in the EPL, Championship and League one are better options than him .

Any Nigerian Midfielder playing in the top 10 leagues of Europe is a better option.

Consider that one of our best Midfielders in recent times Etebo plays in the Greek Super league and thats rated 20 in Europe.

The Segundo is very very low standard to use the term quality is an over statement, with regards to the Segundo division.

For a direct example I would say all the midfielders in Sheffield Wednesday in league one are better than him. For example ;

Adeshina Bakinson
Fisayo Dele-Bashiru
Dennis Adeniran

What's remarkable but not to me Fisayo is wanted by several EPL teams with AC Milan, PSV expressing an interest among other across Europe.

I watched him play for Manchester City against Liverpool FC U21 and he was the outstanding player not Harvey Elliott.

U clearly do not have any idea of d long ball he was talking about,that kind of long ball is not a basic skill,it's a special skill itself,not all d players have it.
In all my years since I started watching SE,I can only think of just 3 players with that kind of accurate long balls skill, Okocha,Olisey and Mikel,before Jose Mo' coached him out of it are d few players that can comfortably play that kind of long ball n locate d intended players.
It's not just to hit d ball n hopes u meet ur target, it's about precision.

Pirlo is a master of that kind of long ball
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:04pm On Feb 13, 2023
komekn:

Adeshina Bakinson
Fisayo Dele-Bashiru
Dennis Adeniran

Show us stats to back your claim. It is not by typing names. Pick some a game and show us his ball distribution.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 8:07pm On Feb 13, 2023
AndSunGorilla:

I thought you wanted us to adopt short and intricate passing and not police balls grin
Do u consider Pirlo,Oliseh,Okocha,and Mikel of 2005 world youth championship a police ball players

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 8:19pm On Feb 13, 2023
Napoleon55:

Do u consider Pirlo,Oliseh,Okocha,and Mikel of 2005 world youth championship a police ball players
I gat you baba but na Prof Tiki Taka I intentionally address that question to. Not sure Oliseh would have excelled in Tiki Taka system. But yes those are midfield generals that had much more than long passes to their game though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 8:20pm On Feb 13, 2023
Iwobi starts as usual but it seems like Dyche has moved him to the wings in the "Misery sides derby" according to the BBC, those people can be nasty walahi.

Wishing Iwobi the best and I hope they escape the relegation zone after tonight's game, cc Danielnino grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:21pm On Feb 13, 2023
AndSunGorilla:

Please, Xavi Hernandez made the long ball an art, from your idea, Barcelona were not playing short intricate passes and were relying on police balls.

Instead of trying to make an unnecessary point, you can ask for clarification.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 8:22pm On Feb 13, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

Please, Xavi Hernandez made the long ball an art, from your idea, Barcelona were not playing short intricate passes and were relying on police balls.

Instead of trying to make an unnecessary point, you can ask for clarification.
Sorry sir, I will confirm from you before I post anything, thank you sir.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:22pm On Feb 13, 2023
Napoleon55:

And Xabi Alonso and Paul Scholes to the list. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:24pm On Feb 13, 2023
AndSunGorilla:

Sorry sir, I will confirm from you before I post anything, thank you sir.

In the art of passing games, there are times you rely on long balls. That is when you are switching play and when under a high press. With a precise pass from deep, you can create an offensive position.

What masters of deep long passes bring is turning negative positions to an offensive advantage or changing a balanced position to an offensive one.

Not just playing long balls for the sake of it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:26pm On Feb 13, 2023
I
Danielnino00:

Yes he achieved all that but it does not take away the fact that he's not consistent. What should be taken to mind is that if he can achieve all of this despite his inconsistent showings (I concede the fact that Rogers does not give him a stretch of games) what heights of exploits would he attain if he were a bit more consistent.

And in the Super Eagles Iheanacho and Aribo are a problem as far as tactical set up is concerned.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:32pm On Feb 13, 2023
komekn:

Adeshina Bakinson
Fisayo Dele-Bashiru
Dennis Adeniran

https://twitter.com/Carabao_Cup/status/1575797603496697857?s=20&t=aRiqQYXivWHJmT3vXZvfbQ

This clip is totally out of the context of the discussion. Na wa.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:32pm On Feb 13, 2023
Blueelf:

Lollll

cc thesupernerd
Man...you cap too much and your posts now are somewhat irritating.
Nacho was not dropped because he's inconsistent. He was dropped because he was not playing regularly at Leceister.

As for Nwakali, I'm really disappointed at him. I watched him at that U17 tourney and was like ..damn! we have got a gem.
The same way Sadiq's stats were being dropped here is the same way Kelechi's stats are being dropped now.
You're talking as if other African countries are not calling up players from division 2 and other obscure league.

Make una leave Nwakali alone... the nagging too much.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:34pm On Feb 13, 2023
Mujtahida:
I
Yes he achieved all that but it does not take away the fact that he's not consistent. What should be taken to mind is that if he can achieve all of this despite his inconsistent showings (I concede the fact that Rogers does not give him a stretch of games) what heights of exploits would he attain if he were a bit more consistent.

And in the Super Eagles Iheanacho and Aribo are a problem as far as tactical set up is concerned.

Iheanacho has made the best of the time he has bee given all his life. I doubt you can use inconsistent as a point. His goal to time played ratio for club and country is decent.

Expand on how Iheanacho is a tactical problem to our team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:36pm On Feb 13, 2023
komekn:

Adeshina Bakinson
Fisayo Dele-Bashiru
Dennis Adeniran

Some players are masters of the long ball pass. Pirlo and Beckam are top examples

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:37pm On Feb 13, 2023
BannedLarge:
If Arsenal win world cup abi wetin I dey see so? grin grin

1. Salah won't be in the conversation for APOTY.
2. Mane will definitely be a strong contender.
3. Mahrez is a strong contender.

But there's something that gives Osimehn the edge for now- golden boot.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 8:39pm On Feb 13, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

In the art of passing games, there are times you rely on long balls. That is when you are switching play and when under a high press. With a precise pass from deep, you can create an offensive position.

What masters of deep long passes bring is turning negative positions to an offensive advantage or changing a balanced position to an offensive one.

Not just playing long balls for the sake of it.
Thank you sir for the clarifications. You are right those midfield masters Xavi, etc were masters of long passing in addition to the very many skillsets they had. I believe it can be reasonably inferred that having the ability to play long balls alone is not sufficient, admittedly it is a very valuable skillset.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 8:40pm On Feb 13, 2023
Mujtahida:

Some players are masters of the long ball pass. Pirlo and Beckam are top examples
Kwarrect, in addition to other abilities.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:42pm On Feb 13, 2023
When Ghana almost made the semi finals did any of the Ghanaians won the APOTY award? So Hakimi that did nothing special at the World cup will win cos .. lol! It is only their goalkeeper that might make the top three. Oshimen is currently the AFCON qualifiers and Seria A highest goal scorer. He is winning it!
Top three
Oshimen, Mahrez, Morroco goalkeeper/Kudus
typicalgamer:

Hakimi for sure but individual rating osimehn wins by a wide margin.

But hakimi and World Cup run will make a great case

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:44pm On Feb 13, 2023
komekn:

Adeshina Bakinson
Fisayo Dele-Bashiru
Dennis Adeniran

Posts like this is why I keep doubting you're what you claimed to be. But then, I think it is the hate in you that's talking. grin grin

You once said something similar about Osimehn and we know how it turned out.

Morocco reached the WC semifinal, can you tell us where their players ply their trade?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:47pm On Feb 13, 2023
Mujtahida:
I

They're not a problem in a tactical set-up. The coach just lacked the idea of how to use them rightly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:56pm On Feb 13, 2023
komekn:

With regards to the bold self deception is the worst kind of deception.

First question who has been there the oldest ❓

Daka has played the same amount of games as KC this season and they are both poor as forward players with too few goals to be called quality.

Perez is gone to Real Betis he is also winger so the comparison is not relevant. Nonetheless, he has been abysmal and poor after £30 million transfer.

He has gone to Real Betis and is already getting games he was essentially bench warmer and brought in for Cup games for most of his time at Liecester City.

Diabata played his last game for Leicester in 2019 and was sold in 2020. Is he relevant to this discussion, he not an out an out striker

@bolded. Probably because I live rent free in your head,you can decipher my thoughts and know when I'm being deceptive..well-done...

All what you wrote up there are excuses you won't accept if they were thrown to defend Iheanacho.. Daka was signed for almost the same transfer fee as him, and was brought primarily to displace Iheanacho. The talks we that Rodgers preferred him..after 40 premier league games,he has 8 goals...
Perez is a forward... He has played centre forward many times .. Iheanacho isn't even a pure out and out striker.. he has been used as a supporting striker and winger at Leicester, so your excuse for Perez won't fly.. man was also signed to displace Iheanacho...he failed..
Diabete was at Leicester same time as Iheanacho.. I remember him being in hot form for a few games and people were saying he would displace Nacho .. he also failed..

For all the talks of Iheanacho not living up to expectations at Leicester,only Vardy has performed better than him among all forwards that have played for Leicester since he joined...

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (14230) (14231) (14232) (14233) (14234) (14235) (14236) ... (16182) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.