Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,775 members, 7,831,494 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3487) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11760421 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3484) (3485) (3486) (3487) (3488) (3489) (3490) ... (16185) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:33pm On May 09, 2018
Lol....yep.. and he provided the assist for the winning and only goal even.

Joebie:
Nigerian Iniesta abi na Neymar lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 4:33pm On May 09, 2018
Icon79:
But it still wasn't a red card incident to me tho. I mean, he kicked out but he didn't connect. Go watch that incident again. He didn't make any contacts with the Greek player. The Greek player sold the ref a dummy!

I was actually surprised that Nigeria didn't protest the red card, after the game.

O pari

whether it connected or not it is a red card..did you see the way he kicked out?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:37pm On May 09, 2018
FIFA posted on their Facebook page : "Who will win Group D?"

Check out the comments by some foreigners

Roelant Frijns

This may actually be the most exciting group out of all of them. Let's get 1 thing out of the way, though: Argentina will probably not screw up too hard and progress without too many problems, though neither one of their opponents are going to be a "walk in the park." Croatia seems to be the obvious candidate for the second spot, but they haven't been in great shape lately. That's not to say they won't pose a big threat to their opponents, but Nigeria have been phenomenal over the past 2 years and may very well spring a surprise - in fact they beat a near-perfect Argentina side last November, to name an example. Iceland may be set back by their lack of experience, but at the EUROs they showed us that they can do anything

Krsto Reskusic

Croatia vs. Nigeria will decide the fate of this group. If Croatia can get 3 points in their first match, I am confident they will advance and win the group. Going into the Argentina game with a W, Croatia will out play Argentina. If they lose, they will not advance, with Nigeria and Argentina taking the top 2 spots. If the game ends in a draw this group will be wide open and it will be decided by goal differential for the final spot.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:38pm On May 09, 2018
Bonaventure Dennis set to start after injury crisis hits Belgian championship contenders Club Brugge

Bonaventure Dennis is likely to start for Club Brugge tomorrow in a decisive Belgian championship playoff clash following injury to star forward Abdoulay Diaby.
He was a 70th minute substitute in his team’s last game against Anderlecht.
Diaby missed Sunday’s controversial home loss to Anderlecht no thanks to an ankle injury and he does not likely to shrug off this in time for the championship playoff game against Charleroi.
Two other key players of Club Brugge could also miss the crucial game against Charleroi no thanks to injury.
Dennis, 20, has enjoyed a good debut season in Belgium.

He has scored seven goals in 27 matches for his club.
Club Brugge lead the playoff standings on 42 points from seven matches, two points ahead of champions Anderlecht.

Source: http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2018/05/09/bonaventure-dennis-set-to-start-after-injury-crisis-hits-belgian-championship-contenders-club-brugge/

Russia 2018 WC Countdown: 35 days 23 hours 20 mins to go

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:40pm On May 09, 2018
Icon79:
Are you serious? Well, if so, then we have to pull out. There's no way we should risk ourselves and our players.

O pari

Its in the news bro...check BBC... I won't mind the NFF calling off the friendly.. Other than the Ebola, we aren't sure if the Congolese won't injury our players...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:55pm On May 09, 2018
Icon79:
OK. But how come he didn't play last weekend?

O pari

He just returned... He posted a video of himself back to training..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:12pm On May 09, 2018
Iceland To Name World Cup Final Squad On Friday
May 9, 2018

Debutants Iceland will name their final squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia on Friday, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The modest European nation are in Group D along with Nigeria, two-time world champions, Argentina and 1998 semi-finalists, Croatia.

They will face Lionel Messi’s Argentina in their first ever game at the mundial on June 16 and then take on the Super Eagles in their second game in Volgograd six days later.

Their last group game is against fellow Europeans Croatia on June 26.
” Friday is the big day.

The day we announce our final squad for the @FIFAWorldCup,” reads a tweet on the official Twitter handle of the Iceland Football Federation on Wednesday.

Heimir Hallgrimsson’s team has lined up a friendly match against the Black Stars of Ghana on June 7 in Reykjavik to get a first hand knowledge on the the playing style of the Super Eagles.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/iceland-to-name-world-cup-final-squad-on-friday/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:13pm On May 09, 2018
Icon4s:

You will invite a player like Sonne Aluko and put him in a "Team B" as you call it. Hen I laugh.

European teams all have standing U21 teams and there is even a European U21 tournament to expose these players. Countries in Europe value this age grade far more than the U19/20 cos they pick from this pool to their senior teams and their U21 teams go ahead to play in the Olympics a year or 2 later.

Now, the question should be how do we acccommdate players who are over 21 but are yet to feature for the Super Eagles. Remember I mentioned it as the U21/23 team. Or the U21 to progress to U23.

It is expected that some exceptional players who are already 21 would have proven themselves already to get a call up to the Super Eagles. However for those who could not break in and are still in their early 20s we have an U23 age grade competition which can accommodate these them and just like from previous Dream teams we select the ones that excel to the Super Eagles. Look at simple examples of Ekong, Shehu, and Etebo from the Rio team. A good number of U23 players though are typically senior team players. Like Ekong and Shehu.

My major targets for that U21-23 are players who are past the age of the 2019 U20 but are eligible for the 2020 U23. In this pool we have numerous talented players whose careers are on the ascendancy both in Europe and the NPFL. I can role out at least 50 names. We groom them together, organize quality friendlies during the FIFA free window and keep progressing those that excel. That is the simple model I am proposing. Rather than just picking 1 or 2 players and say they are special talents.

We need this large pool cos we do not know those who will finally come out good or otherwise so we don't hope on a particular player or few set of players and when they flop we get hit badly.

I do not have problem with the U21. I even welcome it. It falls under doing more than just folding our arms. However, we still need other ways to capture those that fall outside the age grades. However, it is better we do little than nothing and I hope we exhaust the opportunities we can create.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nihilstjnr: 5:19pm On May 09, 2018
does anybody know when the new kit is going to be available?

I'm going to the friendly at Wembley on June 2nd and I want to be on kit, but I can't find the kit anywhere.

Nike.com are currently selling the new kits for Netherlands, Croatia, Portugal Qatar etc...but they're not carrying the Naija kit.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:25pm On May 09, 2018
Ogu: Banega Is The Toughest Argentina Player I’ve Faced
May 9, 2018

Super Eagles midfielder, John Ogu, has described Ever Banega as the toughest Argentina midfielder he has faced in a football match, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The Hapoel Be’er Sheva midfielder has faced the Sevilla star man three times – twice with Hapoel Be’er Sheva and once with the Super Eagles.

He admits that the 29 year old Banega has tremendous skills in linking up defensive play with the attack perfectly which the Eagles must be wary of in their 2018 World Cup Group D match against the Albiceleste in Saint Petersburg on June 26.

Nigeria will clash with Argentina in their final group D game after facing Croatia and Iceland at the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup with the duo expected to come up against themselves in that encounter.

“Argentina are a good side and with Banega in the middle, we must also watch him, not Lionel Messi alone,” Ogu began in a exclusive chat with CSN.

“With Banega around, you have to be at alert always. I have played against him three times – twice with Hapoel Beer Sheva and once with the Super Eagles.
“He’s that type of player that can deal with you defensively and hurt you as wellgoing forward. He is strong, stubborn and skilful as well.”

Ogu and Banega are expected to be named in Nigeria and Argentina’s squads respectively, for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

Meanwhile Ogu, 29, is expected to be named in Nigeria’s squad to face DR Congo in an international friendly match on May 29 is also looking forward to winning his third Israeli League title with Hapoel Beer Sheva this season.

“We just need to win and be sure of another title. Moving to Isreal when I did was one of the best footballing decisions I made because I won titles,” he stated.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ogu-banega-is-the-toughest-argentina-player-ive-faced/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:39pm On May 09, 2018
Yahaya is a jewel

TheSuperNerd:
Lol....yep.. and he provided the assist for the winning and only goal even.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:40pm On May 09, 2018
We are not tired at all

Errantino:
Are you tire of losing your money all in the name of betting, yeah! you are the right place,

visit

===============>

www.venabet.com

For your sure football predictions.

Your winnings is all we desire.

Best Regards!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:41pm On May 09, 2018
Aba version is available if u don’t mind.

Nihilstjnr:

I'm going to the friendly at Wembley on June 2nd and I want to be on kit, but I can't find the kit anywhere.

Nike.com are currently selling the new kits for Netherlands, Croatia, Portugal Qatar etc...but they're not carrying the Naija kit.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:46pm On May 09, 2018
Nihilstjnr:

if you want the original, I think you have to wait till 6th of June
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:01pm On May 09, 2018
Danielnino00:
In other news, DR Congo has been hit with another Ebola outbreak... Any chance of the NFF pulling out of the friendly cus of it??

Hmm... but sincerely I am not even looking forward to that game sef.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 6:14pm On May 09, 2018
charlesemeka85:

and which confed cup are you talking about? the one the team was only able to beat Tahiti but conceded? the one the likes of Uruguay and Spain taught us footballing lessons by outsmarting keshi tactically? are we celebrating mikel's performance at the confed cup or mourning the teams dismal performance? imagine we went a goal ahead against Uruguay but lost, keshi played an attacking style of football against a Spanish team that was world champions then and got battered seriously grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. taking lowly Togo was a milestone he achieved that crashed on him because of his dubious ways that almost destroyed the harmony of the team before he was axed if not i see no reason a football federation will sack a coach who qualified their team to its first ever world cup. i never said we were outplayed against the CIV but was the team fortune smiled on by emerging victorious. mikel and onazi played the game of their lives that faithful day and the same goes to omeruo and oboabona. its high time you accept the fact that rohr is doing something great with this young team and pray for them to have a successful outing in Russia than hoping he fails so that you and your likes will be screaming on high heavens for him to be relieved of his duties

How you go just dey dey yarn rubbish?

Against CIV we should have won 3-0, there was a chance that Emenike missed before he even scored that goal, and the goal that CIV scored was because of a dive by Drogba, do watch the highlights again. Our defence hardly even had anything to do, in fact they had a far tougher game against Burkina Faso

How exactly were we poor at the Confed cup? Against Tahiti we created enough chances to score atleast 10goals, is it Keshi's fault that the strikers on the day(Ujah and co) couldn't score? Or is it also Keshi's fault that most of our regulars were injured going to that tournament? I believe we missed like 3-4 core players in that tournament yet we played very well, now we lose 3 players and we are mince meat for ordinary SA and Serbia. Uruguay were eventual WC semifinalists yet they didn't outplay us. Then in the game against Spain, we were no longer going to qualify, do you still come to park the bus? You come out and play football since you have nothing to lose, that is the basic of knockout football.

I don't understand your problem exactly. Is it that Keshi did not qualify Togo? There is also another instance of how good Keshi is, in one Afcon like that he took Mali and they came back from 4 goals down at halftime to tie 4 all with the hosts Angola, we couldn't even come back from two goals down against SA in a competitive game, that says a lot.

Nobody is arguing against what Rohr is doing but saying that Keshi is better, way better than Rohr TACTICALLY is clear for even the blind to see
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:15pm On May 09, 2018
Nihilstjnr:

According to Nike, It will be out in June.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:28pm On May 09, 2018
Mickael2:

How you go just dey dey yarn rubbish?

Against CIV we should have won 3-0, there was a chance that Emenike missed before he even scored that goal, and the goal that CIV scored was because of a dive by Drogba, do watch the highlights again. Our defence hardly even had anything to do, in fact they had a far tougher game against Burkina Faso

How exactly were we poor at the Confed cup? Against Tahiti we created enough chances to score atleast 10goals, is it Keshi's fault that the strikers on the day(Ujah and co) couldn't score? Or is it also Keshi's fault that most of our regulars were injured going to that tournament? I believe we missed like 3-4 core players in that tournament yet we played very well, now we lose 3 players and we are mince meat for ordinary SA and Serbia. Uruguay were eventual WC semifinalists yet they didn't outplay us. Then in the game against Spain, we were no longer going to qualify, do you still come to park the bus? You come out and play football since you have nothing to lose, that is the basic of knockout football.

I don't understand your problem exactly. Is it that Keshi did not qualify Togo? There is also another instance of how good Keshi is, in one Afcon like that he took Mali and they came back from 4 goals down at halftime to tie 4 all with the hosts Angola, we couldn't even come back from two goals down against SA in a competitive game, that says a lot.

Nobody is arguing against what Rohr is doing but saying that Keshi is better, way better than Rohr TACTICALLY is clear for even the blind to see

You remind me of the strikers we paraded at that Confed Cup: Brown Ideye, Anthony Ujah and Gambo Mohammed. Nigeria scored a total of 7 goals in the tournament. But guess what? None came from the so called strikers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 6:43pm On May 09, 2018
Icon4s:

You remind me of the strikers we paraded at that Confed Cup: Brown Ideye, Anthony Ujah and Gambo Mohammed. Nigeria scored a total of 7 goals in the tournament. But guess what? None came from the so called strikers.

our strikers then were piss poor. I remember against Tahiti there was a time Ujah was sent clean through on goal and somehow he fell down, I thought that was going to be the worst miss of the match until Ideye started doing his own. Oduamadi was scoring far tougher chances. Since that match na only Musa wey I don see wey dey fall for ground in front of keeper
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:49pm On May 09, 2018
Mickael2:

our strikers then were piss poor. I remember against Tahiti there was a time Ujah was sent clean through on goal and somehow he fell down, I thought that was going to be the worst miss of the match until Ideye started doing his own. Oduamadi was scoring far tougher chances. Since that match na only Musa wey I don see wey dey fall for ground in front of keeper

Against Tahiti, Ideye wanted to claim one of Oduamadi's goals by still kicking the ball against the need after it had clearly crossed the line.

Emenike's goal scoring just later dried up like someone tied his legs from the village.
Keshi did not have good strikers during his time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:50pm On May 09, 2018
Kelechi Iheanacho Vs Alex Iwobi... Both start as Leicester takes on The Gunners, Arsenal @TheKingpower stadium.

Iheanacho starts upfront alongside Vardy in a 4-4-2 while Iwobi starts in the CM role.

Also, Victor Moses is rested and on the bench for Chelsea's game against Huddersfield while Philip Anyanwu Billing starts for Huddersfield in Central midfield.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 6:53pm On May 09, 2018
Iwobi and Iheanacho both starting

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 6:53pm On May 09, 2018
Icon4s:

Hmm... but sincerely I am not even looking forward to that game sef.
We can play with our third eleven.No be 35-man squad ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 6:54pm On May 09, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Iheanacho Vs Iwobi... Both start as Leicester takes on The Gunners, Arsenal...

Iheanacho starts upfront alongside Vardy in a 4-4-2 while Iwobi starts in the CM role.

Also, Victor Moses is rested and on the bench for Chelsea's game against Huddersfield while Philip Anyanwu Billing starts for Huddersfield in Central midfield.
Oh, gerrahhere man grin beat me to that info (at the emboldened)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:58pm On May 09, 2018
Icon4s:

and who picked the strikers for that tourney?
you guys are trying to absolve keshi of any blame...
even when oliseh criticised him for over relying on home.based players he lambasted him...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:00pm On May 09, 2018
Humility017:

and who picked the strikers for that tourney?
you guys are trying to absolve keshi of any blame...
even when oliseh criticised him for over relying on home.based players he lambasted him...

I have always mentioned it that I always had problems with Keshi's players selections.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:00pm On May 09, 2018
Danielnino00:
In other news, DR Congo has been hit with another Ebola outbreak... Any chance of the NFF pulling out of the friendly cus of it??
please let's play Morocco instead....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:01pm On May 09, 2018
Icon4s:

I have always mentioned it that I always had problems with Keshi's players selections.
not only you big bro...me too..
I still remember how he gifted the iconic number 10 Jersey to a non league player...
prior his dismissal...
it came to point he begins to feel that he can make a star out of every player...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 7:04pm On May 09, 2018
Mickael2:

I ain't wanna quote your long narrative above. Seriously, I ll rate Keshi above Rohr tactically for now. The only problem with him was his selection and by that, I mean those on the bench.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:07pm On May 09, 2018
The provisional 35 man list will be released next week according to Toyin Ibitoye.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3484) (3485) (3486) (3487) (3488) (3489) (3490) ... (16185) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Marjoribanks, Jojodjo, Alfryd, ChrisKels, TheGoodJoe(m), Theben(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.