Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,636 members, 7,827,356 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6516) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11739857 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6513) (6514) (6515) (6516) (6517) (6518) (6519) ... (16176) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:20am On Jul 09, 2019
Guys plz what time is our match tomorrow? I wan use this morning strategize my tomorrow shift at work plz.

Plz answer ASAP. Tnx
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:26am On Jul 09, 2019
I’ll sack Rohr if I were NFF boss – Odegbami

Sodiq Oyeleke

Former national team captain, Segun Odegbami, says he would have sacked Gernot Rohr after Nigeria’s 2-0 defeat to Madagascar at the ongoing Africa Cup of Nations if he were the Nigeria Football Federation boss.

Odegbami, a guest on Channels TV programme, Sunrise Daily, on Monday faulted Rohr’s attitude during Nigeria’s matches, saying the coach was “too relaxed” even when the Nigerian team were losing.

The ‘Mathematical’ Odegbami advised the NFF to consider a vocal coach in their next appointment.
“If I was in charge of Nigerian football, Gernot Rohr would have been on his way home,” Odegbami said during the interview.

“I’m sorry that is a bit harsh, but you could see how he selected players, particularly in that match against Madagascar. We could have been out of this competition now, because of his selection of players for that match.

“See coaches like Jurgen Klopp, Jose Mourinho, they are the 12th players. They are by the side of the field, they are directing their players.

They are shouting on referees, they are doing things. That is the sort of thing Nigerian players need.

“Nigerian players don’t want somebody who will just sit quietly and not say a word. They won’t hear his voice. You won’t help them with difficulty.

“Our nature is to be loud, to be compelled and driven to the wall. Our nature is not to just relax.”

They are shouting on referees, they are doing things. That is the sort of thing Nigerian players need.

“Nigerian players don’t want somebody who will just sit quietly and not say a word. They won’t hear his voice. You won’t help them with difficulty.
https://punchng.com/ill-sack-rohr-if-i-were-nff-boss-odegbami/amp/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:31am On Jul 09, 2019
somehow:
Bros I am talking about your own players
Now that you have mentioned Nwakali, can you tell us how long he's been in the EPL and why he's yet to play senior football unlike his counterparts in other leagues?

Edit:

I just reread your comment and you summed it up. They are loaned out to go develop elsewhere because EPL is not meant for grooming. Forget youth league and football
It can't be compared with playing day in and out in a league where money and reputation ia involved. I am not talking about 5-15yrs old development here, I'm talking about young guys already known from playing fifa tournaments getting to cut their own in main leagues

Fifa tournaments are not the unit of measurement for excellence and outstanding capacity. It is still youth football. It's only indicative. I remember Chuba Akpom great at youth level had many opportunities but couldn't measure up.

I know the former England U16 captain that also captained Liverpool fc U18 team. Within two years of leaving Liverpool U23 he was playing non league.

If youth football was the over riding component Nigeria and Africa should be ruling the world. But we are very far from it. Most of our strikers who were outstanding dud not get far, e.g. Chrisantus, Sani Emmanuel, commensurate with thier past youthful glories.

Did you not see how woeful Sadiq Umar was at Rangers. Very few if any can go from youthful glories straight to play first team football. Unlike the Brazilian and a few other nations.

I can assure youthful players make it but you must be OUTSTANDING. For instance in recent times , Rashford, Raheem, Ibe, Zaha, Demari, Gomez, Stones, Maddison, Kane, etc,etc

With regards to Nwakali, my suspicious first of all is that there will be gaps in his initial football development. Which will mean limited quality and inability to read the game. That's in comparison to the boys at Arsenal who have been training comprehensively since they were 7/8 years old.

Second issue he will have to very quickly catch up and show quality, l don't think he did.

Finally, he was sent to the relatively easy Eredivisie ( he failed to make impact) he the tried the Ereste 2nr tier, he was anonymous. Finally ending up in the youth team at Porto, where he has been far from outstanding.

So I put the question back to you considering the circumstances. Why has Nwakali NEVER played for Arsenal

Just to give you context , the big teams buy players doesn't necessarily make you one of thier players. You are just owned by the club but if you don't play for the club, then you are not really in this case an Arsenal player. You could have been bought speculatively. It's just football business.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LaMujer: 8:37am On Jul 09, 2019
ChrisKels:
Guys plz what time is our match tomorrow? I wan use this morning strategize my tomorrow shift at work plz.

Plz answer ASAP. Tnx

8pm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:50am On Jul 09, 2019
LaMujer:

8pm

Tnx man, perfect timing.

Oboy the kind mouth wey South Africans dun dey make already on how dem go hammer the Eagles, just dey make me feel like make the match start now, make we see am already. All their players been showing arrogance. Dey are all saying they kno the Eagles inside out, Chai just bkus dey beat a wacky Egyptian side and beat our experimental side at home.

I am not an Ighalo fan, buh in this case I am solidly behind him to squeez life outta those loudmouths tongue

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:55am On Jul 09, 2019
zoboizee:

Even the Cup. My prediction will be Madagascar or Senegal. Zambia once did it out of nowhere and so Qatar in Asia recently. Team play win Competition.
you predict Senegal, but not Nigeria?

LOL. Iffa hear say Senegal win anything
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 9:12am On Jul 09, 2019
Some of your predictions after round of 16

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 9:14am On Jul 09, 2019
Last one

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:19am On Jul 09, 2019
soetanoreoluwa:

When I was in Joebie's room, I saw this exact fixture prediction map. He tipped Cameroun to knock Nigeria out. Tips Algeria to knock out Egypt and so on....

So this is definitely Joebie's grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 9:20am On Jul 09, 2019
soetanoreoluwa:

Lol... See how all the predictions enter bush grin

No wonder Alabi always gets richer grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:20am On Jul 09, 2019
ChrisKels:

Plz answer ASAP. Tnx

8pm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:26am On Jul 09, 2019
Joebie:
that team self is more talented than our current team.

3 players were also sent home in that tournament. Agali, Yakubu and Babayaro. What happened to us really?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 9:27am On Jul 09, 2019
darkelf:
Throwback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu2CSZVwXsE
Now this is talent. To think he was not making the first team When To players ahead of him speaks volumes

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:29am On Jul 09, 2019
darkelf:

Sodiq Oyeleke

Former national team captain, Segun Odegbami, says he would have sacked Gernot Rohr after Nigeria’s 2-0 defeat to Madagascar at the ongoing Africa Cup of Nations if he were the Nigeria Football Federation boss.

Odegbami, a guest on Channels TV programme, Sunrise Daily, on Monday faulted Rohr’s attitude during Nigeria’s matches, saying the coach was “too relaxed” even when the Nigerian team were losing.

The ‘Mathematical’ Odegbami advised the NFF to consider a vocal coach in their next appointment.
“If I was in charge of Nigerian football, Gernot Rohr would have been on his way home,” Odegbami said during the interview.

“I’m sorry that is a bit harsh, but you could see how he selected players, particularly in that match against Madagascar. We could have been out of this competition now, because of his selection of players for that match.

“See coaches like Jurgen Klopp, Jose Mourinho, they are the 12th players. They are by the side of the field, they are directing their players.

“Our nature is to be loud, to be compelled and driven to the wall. Our nature is not to just relax.”

How did Mathematical work with Onigbinde?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:49am On Jul 09, 2019
People already predicting a Madagascar win, remember that football isn't math. If MDG aren't careful, then they may end up loosing woefully. Seems Tunisia wants to sneak into the Semi-finals
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 9:52am On Jul 09, 2019
Should Rohr decide to deploy a 3-5-2 formation against the Bafana who will you like to see pair Ighalo upfront?
I think the 3-5-2 Will counter any threat posed by the South Africans let Ola Aina track Tau and Collins track Lorch/Zwane.
Then let the battle be won on the midfield and sheer trickery.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 10:00am On Jul 09, 2019
nelszx:
Should Rohr decide to deploy a 3-5-2 formation against the Bafana who will you like to see pair Ighalo upfront?
I think the 3-5-2 Will counter any threat posed by the South Africans let Ola Aina track Tau and Collins track Lorch/Zwane.
Then let the battle be won on the midfield and sheer trickery.

3-5-2 will play directly into South African hands

The trio of Tau, Lorch and Mothiba against Balogun, Ekong and Omeruo would give me nightmares

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 10:07am On Jul 09, 2019
Earthquake2:

3-5-2 will play directly into South African hands

The trio of Tau, Lorch and Mothiba against Balogun, Ekong and Omeruo would give me nightmares

I think the wing backs can take out their 7 and 11 making their forward ineffective. If Aina is stationed to Tau and mark him all day he'd definitely get frustrated same goes for our left wing back on Lorch.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 10:12am On Jul 09, 2019
nelszx:

I think the wing backs can take out their 7 and 11 making their forward ineffective. If Aina is stationed to Tau and mark him all day he'd definitely get frustrated same goes for our left wing back on Lorch.

You forgot that Wingbacks stay basically in the midfield, a long ball eliminates them from the equation and it will be South Africa attacking trio versus our defensive trio

Go and watch Cameron's second goal Aina was in a wing back position when the goal was scored
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 10:31am On Jul 09, 2019
One of them is currently super eagles midfielder... Guess who?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 10:36am On Jul 09, 2019
soetanoreoluwa:

Etebo! The shorter one.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by peterd53(m): 10:42am On Jul 09, 2019
soetanoreoluwa:

Etebo the bulldozer

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 10:46am On Jul 09, 2019
soetanoreoluwa:

Oghenekaro Etebo

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 11:02am On Jul 09, 2019
I can't argue long term for now. I already told you my direction.

Even the early development you talk about, we know the leagues that produces/develop better products
komekn:

Fifa tournaments are not the unit of measurement for excellence and outstanding capacity. It is still youth football. It's only indicative. I remember Chuba Akpom great at youth level had many opportunities but couldn't measure up.

I know the former England U16 captain that also captained Liverpool fc U18 team. Within two years of leaving Liverpool U23 he was playing non league.

If youth football was the over riding component Nigeria and Africa should be ruling the world. But we are very far from it. Most of our strikers who were outstanding dud not get far, e.g. Chrisantus, Sani Emmanuel, commensurate with thier past youthful glories.

Did you not see how woeful Sadiq Umar was at Rangers. Very few if any can go from youthful glories straight to play first team football. Unlike the Brazilian and a few other nations.

I can assure youthful players make it but you must be OUTSTANDING. For instance in recent times , Rashford, Raheem, Ibe, Zaha, Demari, Gomez, Stones, Maddison, Kane, etc,etc

With regards to Nwakali, my suspicious first of all is that there will be gaps in his initial football development. Which will mean limited quality and inability to read the game. That's in comparison to the boys at Arsenal who have been training comprehensively since they were 7/8 years old.

Second issue he will have to very quickly catch up and show quality, l don't think he did.

Finally, he was sent to the relatively easy Eredivisie ( he failed to make impact) he the tried the Ereste 2nr tier, he was anonymous. Finally ending up in the youth team at Porto, where he has been far from outstanding.

So I put the question back to you considering the circumstances. Why has Nwakali NEVER played for Arsenal

Just to give you context , the big teams buy players doesn't necessarily make you one of thier players. You are just owned by the club but if you don't play for the club, then you are not really in this case an Arsenal player. You could have been bought speculatively. It's just football business.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:20am On Jul 09, 2019
soetanoreoluwa:

Beautiful throwback... Wow, so Etebo even saw himself in England a long time ago. That partly explains the old English NT jersey.

I think it is about time we won a world cup and add that Gold star of honor above our NFF Logo on our jerseys too like England and other World cup winners
Ohh that day will come... Another golden generation looms large over Africa from the West....

The Eagles are rising and the look in Omeruo's eyes below shows we want more!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 11:31am On Jul 09, 2019
lakesidepapa:

Etebo! The shorter one.

You are right, look so young and still keep thesame look.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by facts1234: 11:34am On Jul 09, 2019
ChrisKels:

Tnx man, perfect timing.

Oboy the kind mouth wey South Africans dun dey make already on how dem go hammer the Eagles, just dey make me feel like make the match start now, make we see am already. All their players been showing arrogance. Dey are all saying they kno the Eagles inside out, Chai just bkus dey beat a wacky Egyptian side and beat our experimental side at home.

I am not an Ighalo fan, buh in this case I am solidly behind him to squeez life outta those loudmouths tongue

They know Akpeyi inside out. Make una tell Rohr not to field Akpeyi o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:36am On Jul 09, 2019
darkelf:

Sodiq Oyeleke

Wrong time for this kind of talk, Odegbami...

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 11:36am On Jul 09, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

Beautiful throwback... Wow, so Etebo even saw himself in England a long time ago. That partly explains the old English NT jersey.

I think it is about time we won a world cup and add that Gold star of honor above our NFF Logo on our jerseys too like England and other World cup winners
Ohh that day will come... Another golden generation looms large over Africa from the West....

The Eagles are rising and the look in Omeruo's eyes below shows we want more!!

Exactly, we need to harness our talent and have a blue print to achieve great success at the world stage. But we can't have it with all our rotten infrastructures.

I believe we can go far at the world cup but more work, more funds and good infrastructures plus good football patterns need to be adopted.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 11:38am On Jul 09, 2019
Olulong:

Oghenekaro Etebo

100 per cent.. He has really come a long way with hard work. It seems underrated!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 11:38am On Jul 09, 2019
peterd53:

Etebo the bulldozer

Lol... Some will call him Carpenter but I call him typical example of hard work.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 11:39am On Jul 09, 2019
realpoacher:

Lol... See how all the predictions enter bush grin

No wonder Alabi always gets richer grin

Just dey laugh. Football no be maths.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6513) (6514) (6515) (6516) (6517) (6518) (6519) ... (16176) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: enlady(f), Oasis007(m), elyte89, comodo, Subzerooo and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.