Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,246 members, 7,836,174 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (7559) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11784472 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7556) (7557) (7558) (7559) (7560) (7561) (7562) ... (16195) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Abusule007: 8:10pm On Nov 07, 2019
Abusule007:
Nigeria U23s threaten pay strike ahead U23 AFCON kick-off

Nigeria’s hopes of featuring at the football event of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics are hanging precariously on the balance after the team are threatening to boycott Saturday’s opening U23 AFCON match against Cote d’Ivoire over pay.

A top source told SCORENigeria that the team have resolved not to play the opening game in Cairo, Egypt, if the NFF failed to clear their unpaid bonuses and allowances.

We first reported that the team are unhappy and spoiling for a showdown with the NFF as they are yet to receive any camp allowance.

The NFF have also not paid them bonuses for the home wins over Libya and Sudan in the qualifiers.

Added to this is that coach Imama Amapakabo has not received any salary since he took over the team.

This should not come as a surprise as it has now been revealed that his U17 counterpart, Manu Garba, has not been paid salary for 10 months by the NFF.

Nigeria are the defending U23 AFCON champions.

Thy begin their title defence Saturday afternoon against Cote d’Ivoire.

The competition will produce three African flag bearers for next year’s Olympics in Tokyo

Source: score nigeria
News also on owngoalnigeria
Only God knows the reason why we always witness this non payment issues with our NFF all the time.

Is it that there's no money to pay players?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:23pm On Nov 07, 2019
Lucque:
She said ex-chelsea...not all football teams from epl...m not part of the argument o...i just wanted to set d argument straight.. grin grin grin grin

You jumped in to add your view but it's jaundiced because its based entirely on perception not facts.

But very disappointing because these are facts easily established by reading the her posts and the subsequent follow up posts.

But in case NEPA cease light for your side and as such you could not see. Look at the screen shot and the comments in bold.

So what would you call your comments Objective, Balanced or something else.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:28pm On Nov 07, 2019
kellycute:
we know what u are doing. If you ain't hyping your borough Carpenters, u will resort to hyping some of our home-grown players against each other just to cause unnecessary bad blood. A time is coming and I won't be surprise when you start supporting nacho agaisnt oshimen. Even if denni is technically astute than Musa and nacho, leave am like that we like am. Dennis is way better than your solanke... That's even an insult to dennis cos solanke nor reach. Uzeonyi is even better than your crappy solanke.

Once again you jumped on a bandwagon of created self birthed assumptions.

I challenge you to give one post where I recommended Solanke for the SE and or rated him as EXCEPTIONAL TALENT.

I said this ages ago Solanke will never play for Nigeria.

So what's the relevance of Solanke to the discussion. Are you recommending him for the SE.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:31pm On Nov 07, 2019
Abusule007:
Nigeria U23s threaten pay strike ahead U23 AFCON kick-off

Nigeria’s hopes of featuring at the football event of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics are hanging precariously on the balance after the team are threatening to boycott Saturday’s opening U23 AFCON match against Cote d’Ivoire over pay.

A top source told SCORENigeria that the team have resolved not to play the opening game in Cairo, Egypt, if the NFF failed to clear their unpaid bonuses and allowances.

We first reported that the team are unhappy and spoiling for a showdown with the NFF as they are yet to receive any camp allowance.

The NFF have also not paid them bonuses for the home wins over Libya and Sudan in the qualifiers.

Added to this is that coach Imama Amapakabo has not received any salary since he took over the team.

This should not come as a surprise as it has now been revealed that his U17 counterpart, Manu Garba, has not been paid salary for 10 months by the NFF.

Nigeria are the defending U23 AFCON champions.

Thy begin their title defence Saturday afternoon against Cote d’Ivoire.

The competition will produce three African flag bearers for next year’s Olympics in Tokyo

Source: score nigeria
News also on owngoalnigeria
LOL...see people wey dem dey try help.

They should send them back to their bottom tier clubs to keep chopping bench. Yeye
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:32pm On Nov 07, 2019
Danielnino00:

Nwakali isn't doing well at club level agreed.. But he was called up to the u-23 on the back of his impressive performance at the u-17 level and at club level..
So far he has performed well at the u-23 level..why drop him now?
Ur performance at club level will earn u an invitation to the national team, but ur performance in the national team will keep u there... Nwakali has earned his spot in that team..there's nothing u can do about it except to cry..

I expected a lot more from you but it seems my expectations are too high.

How can you use past glories of youth football of 3/4 years ago to JUSTIFY a players selection into the current U23. That's simply Ludicrous.

It is an insult to players who are working hard and striving we select a players who hads not kicked a competitive ball for near 10 months.

This is the kind of regressive thinking that has brought our nation to its current state. Favoritism and Nepotism.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:41pm On Nov 07, 2019
somehow:
Can you beat your chest to say there has been any national team selection across all boards without one form of shady undertone before be it local or foreign coaches

You should know nobody wants to hear or admit to that bitter truth.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:43pm On Nov 07, 2019
Joebie:
Hopefully things will change soon. We got Osimhen getting better and even better. I see him in a big club soon. Denis, Okereke are also in the horizon. Time will tell wink

Bit concerned why is Osimhen not the toast of the French league. I noticed that Slimani name was put in ahead of him.

Not sure why.

Statistically speaking Osimhen goals have pushed his team ahead almost single handedly.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:46pm On Nov 07, 2019
SEASON 2 OF THE NAIRALAND NIGERIAN FOOTBALL FANS AWARDS IS HERE!

THE NNFF AWARDS-2019

Ahmed Musa was crowned King of Nigerian football in 2019 while Tochukwu Oluehi was the Queen of Nigerian football. Are we going to have a new King and Queen for 2019? Let's play.

First we nominate Monikers that will be saddled with the responsibilities of coming up with award categories and selection of players for the various awards.

Just like for last year, the committee shall be made up of the top 7 Monikers nominated at this stage.

Rules for nomination:

1. Every member of the house is qualified to be nominated.
2. You can only nominate one moniker.
3. You cannot nominate yourself.

However it is advisable that you nominate a Moniker that is very knowledgeable about Nigerian football as a whole( Senior, Youth and Female Football).

Nominations open @ 12am, 1st November, 2019 and closes @12noon of 8th November, 2019.

Icon4s and Andrewbaba44 will be collating the nominations ( These two are also qualifield to be nominated)

To nominate a moniker for eg just mention : I nominate GreatNigeria59.

Cc: Icon4s, Andrewbaba44 (please u must copy these Monikers)

The nominations are on already..... smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 8:55pm On Nov 07, 2019
Dangote company has offered to renovate the National stadium in Abuja.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:57pm On Nov 07, 2019
Samtos100, DrKlever, Truidstar, ddons, Neimer and PurpleHouse please have you made your nominations?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:00pm On Nov 07, 2019
kellycute:
it is very clear.... Nacho will leave Leicester January and that gonna be a good development cos he need to play football. I predict he gonna remain in epl. Bookmark this page.
Cc komekn lol.

I know the term Fan is derived from Fanatical and that in itself alludes to being without rational and objective thinking.

On what basis will KC remain in the EPL ❓ 4 goals in three seasons at Leicester.

And this is where the fanaticism goes over the top, my questions will deduced as HATE by some. It's just as plain as daylight but for the fanatical they are so blinded they can't see even when the sun's is out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 9:08pm On Nov 07, 2019
Icon4s:
Samtos100, DrKlever, Truidstar, ddons, Neimer and PurpleHouse please have you made your nominations?
Yes sir. i did a long time ago. Nominated tbaba
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrLikita12(f): 9:11pm On Nov 07, 2019
Clementoke:
Dangote company has offered to renovate the National stadium in Abuja.

They should, please and then the ministry should hand it over to a private firm for maintenance.

I once read that a private company offered to maintain the stadium for less but the minister at the time said no.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:12pm On Nov 07, 2019
DrKlever:
Yes sir. i did a long time ago. Nominated tbaba
Ok thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 9:18pm On Nov 07, 2019
komekn:

I know the term Fan is derived from Fanatical and that in itself alludes to being without rational and objective thinking.

On what basis will KC remain in the EPL ❓ 4 goals in three seasons at Leicester.

And this is where the fanaticism goes over the top, my questions will deduced as HATE by some. It's just as plain as daylight but fir the fanatical they are so blinded they can't see even when the sun's is out.

This guy, u just carry KC matter put for head. Rest abeg. grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 9:22pm On Nov 07, 2019
So which channel is going to be used for local discoveries? U17 is not for winning trophies per se but to unearth and show to the world the crop of raw young stars you have in your country. Those abroad already have the media, good facilities, and the exposure already, so of what use is inviting them to take the place of those who will never have the same opportunity as the ones abroad to be seen?
jihday:
I agree, any Nigerian that's good enough irrespective of their place of birth should play for our under age teams, Why try to block foreign born players? Are they afraid the home grown guys aren't good enough? I say let whoever is good enough play for us, it's the national team not a poverty alleviation program
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 9:30pm On Nov 07, 2019
You have comprehension issue and you also know jack when it comes to reading meaning into words.

Between Rohr and Lagerback the larger bear-man, who performed better at the SE head coach?
How many players did your bear man unearth for the eagles?

Humility017:

please why do you reason so low on this matter.....

must you think so low and to you...lagerbach is not an astute coach abi?
for yr information lagerbach should be ahead of rohr....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 9:33pm On Nov 07, 2019
Azubuike balling in Europa for his team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 9:52pm On Nov 07, 2019
So coaching a female team is not coaching? do the professional touches needed to reduce because of the sex involve?

How long did it take Amodu to show the world what he can do on multiple occasions for the SE?
What about the coach that took Chelsea to the famos UCL history? how long did he stay as the head coach to be seen for what he can do?

So he should stay 1 year before you see glimpse of what he can do? where exactly is he now since leaving the SE after using us to make cool doh? (The fault belongs to the then NFF)

Humility017:

remove Thomas Dennerby because he coached the female term...

Nd for berti Vogts I don't rate him....

but for the Swedish...common sense should teach that he was coach for just few months don't think it was even up to 5 months so that time is always too short for any coach with worthwhile program and plans to implement them....

he just took a team he barely knew and understood to.the world cup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 9:53pm On Nov 07, 2019
I should not put them there because they performed fairly in selections and tactics or in the caliber of players they invited to the national teams during their tenures?

Some of us don't have short memory o.

iSlayer:

Granted they did not succeed. But I can't see why you put Lagerback there or even Dennerby. Forget performance though, the context is this: How many out of those 3 put money over merit like Manu and the likes?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 9:55pm On Nov 07, 2019
Because one of the teams he handled didn't do well, he's suddenly mediocre. Some people are better off in Pammy joint discussing the cost of carrying an asshhy
BascoVanVeli:

Only a big fat clown will call Manu Garba mediocre or average. I don't even want to read the rest of your nonsense after that.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 9:56pm On Nov 07, 2019
Please help me ask am o. Sometimes to reply some of the things I read here na serious headache. Too many emotional comments of recent.
Subzero047:

How is Lagerback ahead of Rohr?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 9:57pm On Nov 07, 2019
It is only when it's not a white coach that this accusation starts flying around like say we don't see what happens during the tenures of foreign coaches.
komekn:

You should know nobody wants to hear or admit to that bitter truth.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 9:58pm On Nov 07, 2019
You self no say none of them is a saint, both home and foreign coaches.

Not when Nigerians are the ones running the NFF and employing these coaches.
Mujtahida:

Bro I no get the answer to this question oo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:59pm On Nov 07, 2019
somehow:
So which channel is going to be used for local discoveries? U17 is not for winning trophies per se but to unearth and show to the world the crop of raw young stars you have in your country. Those abroad already have the media, good facilities, and the exposure already, so of what use is inviting them to take the place of those who will never have the same opportunity as the ones abroad to be seen?

Choose your best players home and abroad. If we can get top European prospects of Nigerian origin to pay for us as youths, we can boost their careers and there is a good chance that they will play for us in the future if they reach their potential

Our goal should be creating the best national team players in the future. Open the floor and let the players compete. Then, make your selection fairly and without bias. That way, we lay a good foundation for the future.

The best local lads will make it and so will the best foreign lads.

You boost your odds for future talents. There should be no room for sentiments.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iSlayer: 10:10pm On Nov 07, 2019
somehow:
I should not put them there because they performed fairly in selections and tactics or in the caliber of players they invited to the national teams during their tenures?

Some of us don't have short memory o.

Did they put money over merit?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:11pm On Nov 07, 2019
somehow:
So if we invite the abroad ones they'll be better than the home based? That means you want us to go with players who aren't up to international standard, and when we fail at international tournaments we will start wondering what went wrong. Isokay

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:13pm On Nov 07, 2019
tbaba1234:

Choose your best players home and abroad. If we can get top European prospects of Nigerian origin to pay for us as youths, we can boost their careers and there is a good chance that they will play for us in the future if they reach their potential

Our goal should be creating the best national team players in the future. Open the floor and let the players compete. Then, make your selection fairly and without bias. That way, we lay a good foundation for the future.

Gbam, this is the long and short of it all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 10:25pm On Nov 07, 2019
U17 is for growing raw talents not for showcasing your best talents.

Most of the U17 abroad of Nigerian heritage already play in established club sides (Either main team of their academies) but in Nigeria, most are in school, academies with no transition to main league football. U20 and 23 are better-off used for these set of players if they eventually remain consistent while mixing them up with the best we can unearth from the U17.

If we don't do this, our youth football in Nigeria will go into oblivion because the foreign academies and clubs produce more.

Even European countries mostly favor their home breed (Youth) first before foreign, it's not sentiments but the right thing to do to encourage your system!
tbaba1234:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 10:28pm On Nov 07, 2019
Is corruption only about money?
Have they been 100% clean including Rohr?
iSlayer:

Did they put money over merit?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 10:29pm On Nov 07, 2019
How will you know if they are of international standard? Because we didn't do well this year automatically means we don't have good legs here?

Remind me again, what is the purpose of the U17 tournament according to the originator (FIFA)?
jihday:
So if we invite the abroad ones they'll be better than the home based? That means you want us to go with players who aren't up to international standard, and when we fail at international tournaments we will start wondering what went wrong. Isokay
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:52pm On Nov 07, 2019
somehow:
U17 is for growing raw talents not for showcasing your best talents.

Most of the U17 abroad of Nigerian heritage already play in established club sides (Either main team of their academies) but in Nigeria, most are in school, academies with no transition to main league football. U20 and 23 are better-off used for these set of players if they eventually remain consistent while mixing them up with the best we can unearth from the U17.

If we don't do this, our youth football in Nigeria will go into oblivion because the foreign academies and clubs produce more.

Even European countries mostly favor their home breed (Youth) first before foreign, it's not sentiments but the right thing to do to encourage your system!

Nope, under 17 is for your best talents at that age group. What is the point of showcasing inferior talents if they will still not make it out.

If we get the right blend, there will still be enough local talents, who will make it. The national team is for your best talents.

To boost Grassroots football, improve your league. League teams must have proper academies. The league teams are supposed to expose their kids to local and international competitions. The best ones will get picked.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7556) (7557) (7558) (7559) (7560) (7561) (7562) ... (16195) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Koboko99(m), forgiveness, solonnachi and 15 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.