Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,358 members, 7,860,948 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:40 PM

Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? - Religion (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? (43625 Views)

Poll: Does the New Testament require us to tithe?

Yes: 38% (28 votes)
No: 61% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Says God Can Not Change Your Story (photo) / Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 12:06pm On Nov 06, 2009
Just a question for you Ttalks,

what do you understand by offerings and the roles they play and modes they are to be administered?

check the whole google and come up with something, maybe i could learn you know? wink wink wink
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 12:08pm On Nov 06, 2009
Tonye-t:

Ttalks,

your post is not making any sense anymore. did you read my post on the modes of offerings? maybe if you can pls do, you'll get to find out the differences btw what church members contributes and what men of God are meant to have as directed to timothy by Apostle Paul.

Tonye-t, I too also specifically responded in a post of mine that there is no difference in giving/offerings. Giving is a general term that covers provisions to meet needs as they arise.

Pastors and their brethren both deserve the help or giving of others to meet needs when they come up; but this is subject to the willingness and ability of the givers and not on the basis of any mandatory aunction.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 12:20pm On Nov 06, 2009
ttalks:

Tonye-t, I too also specifically responded in a post of mine that there is no difference in giving/offerings. Giving is a general term that covers provisions to meet needs as they arise.

Pastors and their brethren both deserve the help or giving of others to meet needs when they come up; but this is subject to the willingness and ability of the givers and not on the basis of any mandatory aunction.

Now i see why folks argue blindly,no wonder all this stresses and strains. hmmm its really a pity bro.

hint: the bible you read in english language was written in another language which we all know is more detailed than our modified anglos. Ttalks my dear friend and brother, henceforth i will not respond to you on any issue about giving if this is all you claim
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by viaro: 12:24pm On Nov 06, 2009
ttalks:

Viaro,
I see everything you've written.
You definitely will have your own opinion about what you have done; others definitely will have theirs.
At the end of the day, it is usually what people say about you and not what you say about yourself that counts in the eyes of the public.
A person that doesn't take what people say or conclude about them into consideration is walking on thin ice.

Just recall what i said earlier on as you put in more effort towards the topic at hand:
I leave it at that.

@ttalks, I don't try ever to deny anyone their privileges to have their views expressed; and I have often paid attention to what people say, whether or not they draw any reason for my replies or observations. Sometimes I don't even bother to reply some who make unhealthy remarks about me or my posts - it's natural and human.

However, when someone makes a very deliberate and misleading conclusion about my person and posts, it is necessary for me to reply in a no-nonsense manner to dispel their fears and doubts. This was why my replies have come across to you in the way they did. What? Did you expect me to just accept your misrepresentations on the basis of your idea that I might be walking on ice if "a person doesn't take what people say or conclude about them"?

Why should I take what you said or concluded about me and my posts to avoid 'walking on thin ice' when in very fact they are false? If they were not, I would not have come strongly against your comments; but that you didn't even pay attention to the examples I showed in my previous posts and discussions is alarming! It makes me wonder if my suspicions were correct that your comments were baseless, a deliberate falsehood, and quite unnecessary. I could not let you off just like that, and that was why I defended my position with examples from my previous posts!

Look, I apologise to you only for the very strong manner of my reply to yours. No ill-feelings against you beyond this point, and I'm open for amicable discussions in future, as long as we don't try to present false perceptions on people and their discussions.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 12:30pm On Nov 06, 2009
As usual, Tonye-t shows his display of superiority in letting the world know what it already knew that the bible was not written in english. Balderdash! Like who doesn't know that fact!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 1:13pm On Nov 06, 2009
@Tonye-t. am still waiting for you to open the floor.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 7:08pm On Nov 06, 2009
ttalks:

Tonye, if a Pastor; maybe after his sermon of the day, came up and said,

"Er, . . fellow brethren, Tony had a situation at home which led to his spending all his entire cash on the issue.
At the moment, he doesn't have anything between now and two weeks to come with which he can make ends meet.
I just wanted to let you know so,in case you can do anything to help him out during this period, it would be appreciated."

And then, throughout the period of those two weeks, various members of the congregation helped Tony out with what they could,

wouldn't you call that giving or making offerings? Or is it the offerings that people drop in the offering baskets that go around every service day in most churches that you want to limit as your case of offerings?

Nice one ttalks cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
However, lots of these Cats/Pimps that go about calling themselves "MOGs" won't even bother with that kind of announcement because "if we do it for brother Tony, we will have to do it for everyone", they only see right in you handing the cash over to them to decide what to do with it or it is wrong.
A Christian should be able on his/her own to decide if they want to split their offering between the church and brother "Tony" or give him all of it, we are not here to "conform" because if Jesus had simply conformed to the old ways, where would our grace come from?

God help us all.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 06, 2009
@ttalks

What you don't understand is that pilgrim1(viaro) is more dangerous than tonye-t.At least the criminal tonye-t has plainly come open with his position on this issue but this idiot continues to play with her own intelligence(not mine).

She will agree that compulsory tithing is unscriptural yet she kicks against people who condemn it,she would prefer that criminals ,idiots and fools who call themselves men of God like mathew Ashimolowo and creflo dollar e.t.c continues to fleece the ignorant victims of their hard earned money.She is against these campaign even when she knows that over 99.99999% of organisations that call themselves churches practise this heresy.

This would prefer that these scam wll continue.

@pilgrim,

I might have said 20 and 50 years in my post but I sincerely doubt this scam will survive the next 10 years with the rate of growth in the ICT sector,The failure of this scam in the developed countries like europe and the US(I know the exist in these countries but in minute proportions compared to africa) proves that these scams only thrive because of iliteracy and poverty
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by viaro: 9:30pm On Nov 06, 2009
chukwudi44:

What you don't understand is that pilgrim1(viaro) is more dangerous than tonye-t.At least the criminal tonye-t has plainly come open with his position on this issue but this idiot continues to play with her own intelligence(not mine).

She will agree that compulsory tithing is unscriptural yet she kicks against people who condemn it,she would prefer that criminals ,idiots and fools who call themselves men of God like mathew Ashimolowo and creflo dollar e.t.c continues to fleece the ignorant victims of their hard earned money.She is against these campaign even when she knows that over 99.99999% of  organisations that call themselves churches practise this heresy.

Nope, and no again. While I agree that tithing or any type of giving is not compulsory, I would plank idiots who go about lying through their yellow teeth just to win an anti-tithing argument. If that makes me more dangerous than anything you've come across, bless you all the more - because in my world, it doesn't matter whether you're a pro-tither or anti-tither: lying and propaganda on either side is both illiterate and demeaning, especially when they come from "Christian ministers".

I might have said 20 and 50 years in my post but I sincerely doubt this scam will survive the next 10 years with the rate of growth in the ICT sector,The failure of this scam in the developed countries like europe and the US(I know the exist in these countries but in minute proportions compared to africa) proves that these scams only thrive because of iliteracy and poverty

chukwudi, from lying to now concertedly confused. You're not sure which it is now, so that your prophecy may not fail? Is it 10 years? 20 years? 50 years? You're just guessing and keeping your fingers crossed? That's why you're a consummate fool.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:39am On Dec 14, 2009
Compliments of the Season all!especially Kunleoshod (Ogajim), Viaro, Zikkyy, Chukwudi44, ttalks

My candid explanation of tithe and how it applies to us all as christians today. Pls read this little article and before we condemn let us at least read 'ur own little view about tithe.

Thanx

Tithe - The Definition:

(Tithe) (Hebrew “ma±¦´¢r”):

Is defined as the custom of giving a 10th part of the products of the land and of the spoils of war to priests and kings (1 Macc 10:31; 11:35; 1 Sam 8:15,17)The custom is a very ancient one among most nations. That the Jews had this custom long before the institution of the Mosaic Law is shown by Gen 14:17-20 (cf. Heb 7:4) and Gen 28:22.
A better rendering for the original word " ma±¦´¢r " means a standard of parting one's possession into 10 places and giving a 10th to a superior being mostly revered as a demi-god or priest to a god/goddess . It is a well- known fact that this custom dated before the advent of Abraham. Babylon was a nation/ people who performed this ritual before Abraham’s account and they called it
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:41am On Dec 14, 2009
The “±e´r¢htu” — the standard Babylonian Tithe

An Akkadian scroll revealed that Abraham whose ancestors were traced as Mesopotamians (Babylonians) were most likely familiar with this custom given his Babylonian background to the custom called the ‘esretu’, meaning "one-tenth". The Assyrian Dictionary of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago, Vol. 4 "E" revealed scripts of the Babylonian scriptures that showed them as tithers

"…eleven garments as tithe (on 112 garments)"

“,  (the sun-god) Shamash demands the tithe, "

If this scroll is true, then it means Abraham has been a tither before the biblical account but loyalty unto a different god(Genesis. 12:1).
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:43am On Dec 14, 2009
The “Ma`aser”- In the time of Abraham

According to the Genesis account, Abram, returning from a battle by the Dead Sea, was hailed by Melchizedek, king of Salem (Jerusalem) who was also the priest of El Elyon ("the Most High God"wink (Genesis 14:18):

18. And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.

19. And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:

20. And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

(Genesis 14:18-20, Holy Bible, King James Version)

When Melchizedek appeared and offered Abram bread and wine and blessed him in the name of God, tithes were exchanged. Later, in (Genesis 28:22), Abraham's grandson Jacob also made a commitment to give God back a tenth of his increase. Now a careful look at this will reveal that this act meant more of a lineage tradition to a personal practise. The case is that a good scholar will tell that not all acts of individuals were recorded ink for ink in the biblos (Bible) refer to

>>>John 21:25 - And there are also many other things which Jesus did. If they should be all recorded one by one [in detail], I suppose that even the world itself could not contain (have room for) the books that would be written. AMP.

Now if this is true, then a logical structure will show that if (Abraham)the Father tithed then (Isaac) the son must have tithed for the Grandson (Jacob) to have promised tithe.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:44am On Dec 14, 2009
“Bikkurim, Terumah, Ma'aser Rishon and Terumat Ma'aser” -In the time of Moses and Under Mosaic Law

The tithe is specifically mentioned in the Book of Leviticus, the Book of Numbers and also in the Book of Deuteronomy. The tithing system was organized in a 7 year cycle, corresponding to the Shemittah cycle (You can google this for explanation).

Bikkurim Tithe: is the custom of giving THE FIRST FRUIT as a practice commanded by God (Ex.23:19, Num.15:20, Deut.26:2) " The noun appears 16 times. The "first grain and fruit" harvested was to be offered to God Num 28:26 in recognition of God's ownership of the land and His sovereignty over nature. Bread of the "first fruits" was bread made of the first harvest grain, presented to God at Pentecost Lev 23:20. The "day of the first fruits" was Pentecost Num 28:26. Some scholars even argue that the offerings given by Abel was a tithe of his livestock (called Bikkurim) if you compare what he offered and what God commanded the Israelites in Num.18.

Ma'aser Terumah Tithe: is the custom of setting aside a fixed proportion (Deut.12:11-. . ., Num.18:31) that is to be brought to the city of Jerusalem (The place God has chosen as a dwelling for His name), scholars believe Terumah tithe was same as what Apostle Paul commanded the Corinthian Christians in 1Cor.16:2 .Now some Christians argue that because it was not explicitly mentioned as tithe (but proportional collection) in the NT meant it was not tithe, now see it this way, when bible prophesied of a King to come, he was named as Emmanuel in the OT, when he was to be born in the NT he was named as Jesus, now can we say that Jesus isn’t the same thing as Emmanuel since he was not announced as such?.
Ma'aser Rishon Tithe:This custom is what Moses commanded as the "the year of tithing" Deuteronomy 26:12-14 in which the Israelites set aside 10% of the increase of the land, they were to give this tithe to the Levites, strangers, orphans, and widows. These tithes were in reality more like taxes for the people of Israel and were mandatory, not optional giving. This tithe was distributed locally "within thy gates" Deuteronomy 14:28 to support the Levites and assist the poor.

Terumat Ma'aser: The Levites, also known as the tribe of Levi, were descendants of Levi. They were assistants to the Israelite priests (who were the children of Aaron and, therefore,a subset of the Tribe of Levi) and did not own or inherit a territorial patrimony Numbers 18:21-28. Their function in society was that of temple functionaries, teachers and trusted civil servants who supervised the weights and scales and witnessed agreements. The goods donated from the other Israeli tribes were their source of sustenance. They received from "all Israel" a tithe of food or livestock for support, and in turn would set aside a tenth portion of that tithe for the Aaronic priests in Jerusalem and this was referred to as the Terumat Ma’aser.

A memory lane through time will show that all nations of old practiced this act no little wonder we have the government system of tithing called Tax today. Romans, Greeks, Asian (minors and majors), the 3 American cardinals all practice tithing.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:45am On Dec 14, 2009
Tithing – The Purpose

The primary reason for tithing I will say is first worship to a god to acknowledge his/her ownership of everything and as such they are given back all/some portion. Some ancient writings say it could also mean an act of appreciation , a solicitation , an enquiry , an appeasement to a deity. Whichever way its been seen, it should be appreciated a fact that this act mean more of an ancestral standard to a law. How do I mean, in the Babylonian scrolls which preceded Abrahamism or Judaism none ever revealed that they were commanded to tithe under any given law, neither was it recorded that the first tithers- Cain and Abel (Bikkurim) ever did so based on compulsion as the supposedly law era gave.
Howbeit the introduction of this ancestral act in the era of Judaism (Moses’ time) was never given as a law per se, but the law only showed how this act was to be administered.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:46am On Dec 14, 2009
Tithing – The Law debate

Law could be defined as a decree, principle or ruling guiding a thing/people/standard and most times are documented as a biblos for referencing. Whereas an ordinance is a rite/ritual/spiritual trail. Howbeit the usage of both is for orderliness and objectivity; a law can be put in place to show how a ritual is to be performed. If we go on saying that Law has been abolished how then we have “thou shall not murder”and others still relevant, as well as the Law of Grace, the Law of the spirit of Life, why can’t we go on to say they have all been abolished? After all they are all laws. It is in my opinion that the laws of Moses is what we should know as obsolete (which are the laws of ceareal offering, animal sacrifice, priestly consecration by animal blood) and not the laws of God, for the Laws of the latter are all without errors whilst that of the former was a man’s law which even the scriptures said “…was given because of the hardness of their hearts”- Ps.81:12. Tithe has never been a Law but rather an ordinance, for the Law of Moses only provided how this ordinance was to be administered to a particular nation (Israelites).
when you read the Old Testament, you will find out that God specifically gave LAWS and he made them understand it was a LAW, hence it goes clearly stated

- Ex.12:49 - " The LAW of the 1st born"
- Lev.6:14 - " The LAW of the cereal offering"
- Lev. 6:25- " The LAW of the sin offering"
- Lev.7:7 - " The LAW of the sacrifice of peace offering"
- Lev.7:37- " The LAW of the burnt offering"

Law of leprosy disease (Lev.14:57), law of fluid discharge (lev.15:32)
and it goes on and on,

never was it mentioned anywhere of the LAW of TITHE/TITHEING as the case may be, rather the very first place you'll come across the word TITHE as regarding the Israelites exodus from Egypt was in Lev.27, reading from verse 1 it goes on like this

-1. And the Lord said,. . . vs. 30: it stated TITHE and on it goes. Even this passage began by telling them how they should give/ administer tithe and not a fresh teaching about tithing. Let me Quote it

Lev 27:30-32
30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord's; it is holy to the Lord. [1 Cor 9:11; Gal 6:6.]
31 And if a man wants to redeem any of his tithes, he shall add a fifth to it.

32 And the entire tithe of the herd or of the flock, whatever passes under the herdsman's staff [by means of which each tenth animal as it passes through a small door is selected and marked], the tenth shall be holy to the Lord (AMP)

Secondly if we can go through the Hebrew translations, one will discover that the tithe the nation of Israel practiced as at this time had the original tithe put (ma’aser) as a prefix or suffix. Meaning the tithe in Moses’ time followed the order of the original ancient tithe hence I call it an administrative tithing and not the origin of tithing per se.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:48am On Dec 14, 2009
Tithing – Has it been abolished?

I for one would not want to judge from any logical point of view, because if I were to, then I would ask how come taxation still prevails in almost all parts of the world today because tax in all sincerity of purpose is the same as tithing (ma’aser) However Let us judge this explicitly from the scriptures. What was actually abolished in the scriptures? Was it the law of God (Rom.7:22 – for I(paul) endorse and delight in the law of God) or the Law of Moses (1Cor.10:2 –. . . For all Israel was baptized into moses [Moses’ Law] in the cloud and sea)? You see it was the Law of Moses and correction it was never abolished but Fulfilled by Jesus Christ (Matt.5:17). Jesus did not come to fulfill the Law of God but the Law of Moses, for He (Jesus) was the perfect expression of God himself who made the Law (Jn.8:58 – . . .before Abraham was, I AM)

Most often, many Christians tend to mistake the use of the both one for the other whereas Moses’ law came with the rules as well as the punishments for violators, Romans called it the Law of Death, God’s Law are the commandments “thou shall not steal”, “thou shalt love the lord thy God” and so on ( it never came with a punishment, but ironically a reward if it was kept, no little wonder Paul endorsed it to the church in Romans.7:22 and even taught about it, refer Eph.6 etc).
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:50am On Dec 14, 2009
Tithing – Money or Agricultural produce?

A biblical origin of Ma’aser began with Cain and Abel who gave the Bikkurim ( a portion of their increase) in livestocks and farm produce. I, personally do not solicit that tithing should be in any fixed mode be it money or any modus operandi, for the biblos never gave specific instruction on that except to the nation of Israel and not the pre- Israeli nations or people/era.
When Abraham tithed (Bikkurim) he gave a tenth of all, what then is this all? I suppose; gold, diamond, silver, garments, crops, livestock and so on. Without any logical reasoning one should know that the moneys used in ancient times were the diamonds, silver and golds he gave as well as the agricultural produce he gave will mean the crops and livestocks. So whether one purposes in the heart to give money based on ma’aser (original tithe) and another chooses to give produce still based on ma’aser terumah, or Rishon or Terumat it makes no difference for all scriptures both OT and NT are given by the inspiration of God and they all are profitable for doctrine (1Timothy 3:16). For any argument on tithe based on only one system to me makes no use, what matters is the heart one gives from and the desire to maintain this ordinance that began before the law.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:50am On Dec 14, 2009
Tithing – Once in a Lifetime or Daily or Weekly or Monthly or Yearly?

- Following the scriptures, Cain and Abel were recorded to have given once, maybe they gave more, we don’t know unless we judge following John. 21 : 25
- Abraham was recorded to have given once.
- Jacob was recorded once to have promised giving tithe
- Moses’ time and the Nation of Israel introduced it into the law and did not specify a time for ma’aser safe for the ‘year of tithing- once every third year’. Scholars say they practiced it after every harvest (time of increase)which varied by tribes and calendars
- Jephthah was recorded once to have promised Bikkurim and he fulfilled the promise. (Judg.11…)
- Religious sect in the NT strictly adhered unto the Terumat that it was given just about every week if not every day but wrongly on hypocritical grounds.

Ma’aser is an act of worship and one should give as unto God and not unto any religious order except we choose to follow religion (which to me is still not wrong -2Tim.3:16, James.1:7) . The importance is that tithing should be made on the ground of worship / appeasement / appreciation / solicitation / enquiry. One who choses to give once in a life time is same as the other who choses to give daily, weekly and so on for he who gives should do so as unto the Lord and not to Man (Eph. 6:7).
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:51am On Dec 14, 2009
Tithing – The Priesthood Significance

Through the bible, God’s relationship with man has followed a pattern and this pattern has standards that both parties must maintain for a true relationship
What were this patterns?:
one of such was that there must be a Priest who mediates between God and Man (read.Heb.7:17-20)Mechisedek was the first to assume this office of which Job did the same (Job.1:5), thereafter Abraham (Gen.18:20-33),Abraham’s lineage and then to Jacob’s and later to Moses and the trail followed until Jesus’s time. What made this priestly office unique was the fact that they gave offerings as a means of worship/relationship and they offered sacrifices which were meant to make atonement for sins, they taught the people how to relate with God and Man.
Again, One practice the bible noted that some of these princes/priests did was the act of receiving offerings, take for example Melchisedek received offering, Aaron and the priesthoods received offerings as Moses instituted, both Jesus (Lk.7:37), Paul and Peter received offerings too.

Now Melchisedek in Retrospect:

Jesus was made a priest after the order of melchisedek, Jesus Christ was a priest after Melchisedek and Melchisedek received offering, what then is expected of Jesus Christ?. This order could be compared as unto Aaron (as melchisedek) and the levites (as Christ)-Heb.7:16, Aaron received it under the law; likewise the levites took it from the people and gave it to the High priest whom Aaron fell into.
Today when we give tithe, the clergies after the order of Christ receive it and offer prayers of blessings. refer Gen. 18:19. And he (Melchisedek) blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth. Read Hebrews.6, 7,8
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:53am On Dec 14, 2009
[U]Tithing - what did Jesus and Paul say?[/U]

>>>Matthew. 23:23  -  "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices — mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law — justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.NIV

Recall He(Jesus) didn’t say woe unto tithes, but rather woe unto the teachers of the law and Pharisees. Meaning Jesus criticized the Pharisees and never criticized tithe, because the tithe they gave was done hypocritically. Jesus said, practise mercy, practise justice, practise faith and also do not neglect to pracitise tithe (matt.23:23 -Hebrew-English paraphrased bible). Now some Christian sect believe this scriptures was actually Jesus’ seal against the practice of tithe. Looking critically does the scripture look like tithing was abolished? one should ask this question, if Jesus abolished tithing on the ground of the law, therefore mercy should be seem as a law as well as justice and faith and they all should be noted as abolished, afterall he spoke of these things in that scriptures as he did tithe (that is, as laws).
Today Christians argue that Paul who is noted as the most significant apostle did not preach about tithe, now let us see.

>>>1 Cor.16: 2 –Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.KJV

In Hebrew, the term ‘collection’ as used in this passage is same as what Moses taxed the Israelite males above 20years old in the wilderness called the ma’aser terumah (which was the tithing based on contribution for the temple of God which Paul referred to as Jerusalem in his time) and it was given to help the temple building in the wilderness based on how God prospered each individual)–Ex.25:3-9. My candid appeal is for bible students to read the bible with more than a translation/ version so one could have a clearer understanding of terms in the biblos and how they connect the Old and New testaments together. Scholars even discovered that Titus was appointed the office of collecting this contribution even while Paul was in prison (2 Cor.8.). Now would it be wise to say that because KJV, NKJV, NIV and some contemporary anglos-saxons versions of the biblos never explicitly termed the word ‘collection’ as contribution tithe (Ma’aser terumah) meant Paul never practiced tithe same with his followers? I guess not. Maybe this verse will help

>>>Daniel. 9:2 - . . .I Daniel understood by the books[biblos]” which means it took Daniel more than a book[biblo] to understand the sayings of God (prophesy)
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:55am On Dec 14, 2009
Tithe – can it be substituted for freewill offering?

Often atimes I hear people talk of choosing rather to give to the poor than give the church their due benevolence. Let’s see how the scriptures answer this one,

Matt 26:6-13

6 While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper,
7 a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.
8 When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. "Why this waste?" they asked.
9[u] "This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor." [/u]
10 Aware of this, Jesus said to them, "Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me.
11 The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me.

With this passages I will class the so called-righteous Christians into verse 9,for they’ll rather chose to give to the poor and widows their offerings than give to the church, howbeit Jesus’ reply to them in verse 10 will forever remain supreme. Therefore let us give to God what is due God (Matt. 22:21), give to Caesar (beggars, poor, widows) what belong to them. In the Old Testament administrative tithing, Moses’ commanded them to set aside the tithes in the 3rd year and give specifically unto the strangers, widows and orphans. Simple!.
An error it will be to try substituting the one for the other. Let freewill offering be given as freewill offering, and tithe be given as tithe, they have different names thus serve different purposes.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:56am On Dec 14, 2009
Tithe – An Injunction or Suggestion

Please Read verse 7, but 8 very carefully and prudently, for an unbiased heart will tell itself the truth.

2 Cor 9:7-10
7 Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver.
8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed;

The term ‘injunction’ doesn’t mean the same thing as the term ‘compulsion’. Maybe our dictionary will do us good here.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:57am On Dec 14, 2009
Tithe – Why should I give when the clergies make a mess of it?

Just because a thing is been abused greatly doesn’t mean it is bad from its origin, let God do the judging, while we do the obeying . won’t it be nicer if we allow the wisest do the judging? (just a question or let’s say a suggestion). For God has His own way of dealing with the false teachers and thieves.

>>>Jer 23:1-2

1 "Woe to the shepherds who are destroying and scattering the sheep of my pasture!" declares the LORD.
2 Therefore this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says to the shepherds who tend my people: "Because you have scattered my flock and driven them away and have not bestowed care on them, I will bestow punishment on you for the evil you have done," declares the LORD

And Again Jesus taught in Matt 13:29

29 "'No,' he answered, 'because while you are pulling the weeds (false teachers), you may root up the wheat (good teachers) with them.NIV

When we finally understand that a tithe is a spiritual thing and an ordinance that can be discerned by only spiritual people, the sooner we will understand that tithing is a principle God wants us to grasp and be blessed with.

For we are taught to “practice mercy, practice faithfulness, practice justice, and do not neglect to practice tithe” – Matt.23:23 (Hebrew-English paraphrased version)

Tithe will forever remain relevant for the bible has made known.

God bless you!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 1:44pm On Dec 14, 2009
Tonyet you don't want to give up ur filthy lucre abi? NLs now know that tithing is a dirty scam.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 2:02pm On Dec 14, 2009
Tonye-t, stop acting like a deluded fool and get a real job!

Show me where Melchizedek demanded "tithes" from Abram. as you pointed in one of your numerous posts, it was a babylonia pagan practice that got smuggled into Christianity by greedy clergy who didn't trust the faithfuls' ability to think for themselves without being telegraphed.

One has to be very "educated" about Christianity and acceptable practices before stepping into a "Church" these days because of the rampant twisting of the Scriptures for monetary gains by these pimps in suits masquerading as preachers.

--Dude still think I am kunleOshob, What does it benefit me to lie about my location shocked shocked shocked shocked, delusions of grandeur is a thing that can be treated with the right "medication" or maybe dude's being off his meds for a while to join two folks together without any sort of reasoning whatsoever, God help you as you recover from whatever ails you. Peace!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 4:54pm On Dec 14, 2009
@Tonye-tithe, where’ve you been? After reading your posts, I want to believe you’ve been in the Middle East digging for ancient scrolls. (I hope you don’t mind the little modification I made to your name, I just could not resist urge  grin grin Accept my apology in advance).

I can see you finally confirmed tithing as a pagan practice, and Abraham tithing to a pagan god. So, this means lesser spirits or gods can also lay claim to the 10% you are talking about. There is that possibility the pro-tithing community (MOGs/tithers e.t.c) will be calling for your head after this. Especially those that justifies tithing by relying on Abraham’s tithing activities.

We gone through most points you raised in your before. Honestly I think it’s easier for you to claim you are divinely inspired by the act of tithing by Abraham to Melchizedek (it more difficult to fault), or to shamash the sun god, because “shamash demands it” (I love that part  cheesy cheesy grin it's almost bullet proof).

Compliments of the season to you too!! Wishing you a tithe rich *ooops* tithe yielding *sorry*  tithe filled *what wrong with me*  embarassed shocked merry Christmas Season. Have fun and being Christmas season do add a little extra when you drop that tithe at the end of the month  wink wink. It’s a season of goodwill and plenty of giving.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 5:00pm On Dec 14, 2009
Speak now or forever remain silent! the jury said it and not me, now i know how tiny 'ur thoughts could really be, cant you just come out and write everything you know about tithing and your opinion of it as a scam rather than moving helter scelter like a baby.

real men talk and dont babble!

and just a notice, how come Ogajim reappeared the same day i came up and after kkunleOshod did, the last time Ogajim and Zikkyy wrote was when i left some weeks back. undecided undecided comon KunleOshod stop being a coward and brace up like a real man should and write something. dont tell me you are scared abi u r d REAL SCAM! at least i have done mine today cheesy cheesy cheesy

KUNLEOSHOD I CHALLENGE YOU (mr.Anti-tither) TO WRITE ALL U KNOW ABOUT THE TITHE SCAM or forever remain silent here grin grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 5:03pm On Dec 14, 2009
Ogajim, silence to an insult doesnt make me a weak person, u r pushing real hard with insults and i'll be plsd to inform u that i could play that game very well like snippers do. howbeit i left that age long while you were still a suckling.

pls be matured with your post k?

thanx bro! wink wink
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 5:14pm On Dec 14, 2009
Dude (Tonye-tithe? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed)

It's 11:06 where I am and unless KunOsh has relocated (in which case I would request a meeting with him winter cold or not), it is delusional of you to assume I have the time to morph into someone I am not.
If it makes you feel any better, I am not Kunle (I remember someone called him a 1990 graduate on some other thread, I was long gone by then), he's got to be a lot younger than I am though one couldn't tell from his articulated posts here on NL.

I don't have an axe to grind with anyone but this tithe scam has got to be "totally and permanently discredited and abandoned", I've been to places of Worship here in NA where it is not as pronounced as in some of our "Nigerian Churches" who try every trick in the book to make you hand over your pay check after their service.

It is an "insult" to be called who you're not shocked
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by JeSoul(f): 5:19pm On Dec 14, 2009
I am particularly saddened that Tonye, a brother I once had a sizeable amount of fancy for has determined to pursue with passion this[b] false teaching that is "required/mandatory tithes".[/b]

I hope others will not entertain the above solicitation (that is[i] as usual disguised as an honest invitation[/i] ) to engage in useless, recycled debates, but simply leave him to his folly, in the hopes that he will get some spiritual sense bestowed or forced upon him sooner than later.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 6:15pm On Dec 14, 2009
@tonye-tithe
I am amazed that despite all the "research" you have obviously gone to do on the fraudulent preaching of tithes you can still come back to this forum and shamelessly try to justify the scam, even some of your posts here show that it is an entirely fraudulent practise that has not basis in true christianity. i am not prepared to engaged in any meaningless arguements with with someone bent on perpetuating a fruad on fellow christians. If you have any facts to establish that tithing is new testamental or meant for christians, post it here or forever hold your peace. As for me having multiple identies, that is your bucket of shit, i really don't care what you think. you can make say what you want but i would continue to condenm this evil practise of tithing and lead christians away from the yoke charlatans like you and other fraudulent preachers are placing on them.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:28am On Dec 15, 2009
KunleOshob:

If you have any facts to establish that tithing is new testamental or meant for christians, post it here or forever hold your peace.

Tithing - what did Jesus and Paul say?

>>>Matthew. 23:23 - "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices — mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law — justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.NIV

Recall He(Jesus) didn’t say woe unto tithes, but rather woe unto the teachers of the law and Pharisees. Meaning Jesus criticized the Pharisees and never criticized tithe, because the tithe they gave was done hypocritically. Jesus said, practise mercy, practise justice, practise faith and also do not neglect to pracitise tithe (matt.23:23 -Hebrew-English paraphrased bible). Now some Christian sect believe this scriptures was actually Jesus’ seal against the practice of tithe. Looking critically does the scripture look like tithing was abolished? one should ask this question, if Jesus abolished tithing on the ground of the law, therefore mercy should be seem as a law as well as justice and faith and they all should be noted as abolished, afterall he spoke of these things in that scriptures as he did tithe (that is, as laws).
Today Christians argue that Paul who is noted as the most significant apostle did not preach about tithe, now let us see.

>>>1 Cor.16: 2 –Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.KJV

In Hebrew, the term ‘collection’ as used in this passage is same as what Moses taxed the Israelite males above 20years old in the wilderness called the ma’aser terumah (which was the tithing based on contribution for the temple of God which Paul referred to as Jerusalem in his time) and it was given to help the temple building in the wilderness based on how God prospered each individual)–Ex.25:3-9. My candid appeal is for bible students to read the bible with more than a translation/ version so one could have a clearer understanding of terms in the biblos and how they connect the Old and New testaments together. Scholars even discovered that Titus was appointed the office of collecting this contribution even while Paul was in prison (2 Cor.8.). Now would it be wise to say that because KJV, NKJV, NIV and some contemporary anglos-saxons versions of the biblos never explicitly termed the word ‘collection’ as contribution tithe (Ma’aser terumah) meant Paul never practiced tithe same with his followers? I guess not. Maybe this verse will help

>>>Daniel. 9:2 - . . .I Daniel understood by the books[biblos]” which means it took Daniel more than a book[biblo] to understand the sayings of God (prophesy)

Do i still need to forever hold my peace? Ok Kunle my friend, lets see it this way, lets say i am newly born-again and dont know anything about tithe/tithing and you're called up to teach me, pls in some few post what will you tell me to convince me that tithe is wrong. that's all am asking you, and not calling for insults and mud-slingings, they're absolutely unnecessary!

God bless you!

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (41) (Reply)

The Most Powerful Spiritualist/herbalist In Nigeria.....+234867395768 / Chima Ikwunado: Apostle Chibuzor Chinyere Gifts Mini Estate Apartment To Wife / Lizzy Johnson Suleman: "They Were Photoshopped" Apostle Wife On Stephanie Oboto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.