Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,436 members, 7,861,220 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 07:31 AM

Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? - Religion (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? (43629 Views)

Poll: Does the New Testament require us to tithe?

Yes: 38% (28 votes)
No: 61% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Says God Can Not Change Your Story (photo) / Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 9:38am On Dec 15, 2009
Tonye-t:

>>>1 Cor.16: 2 –Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.KJV

[color=#000099]In Hebrew, the term ‘collection’ as used in this passage is same as what Moses taxed the Israelite males above 20years old in the wilderness called the ma’aser terumah (which was the tithing based on contribution for the temple of God which Paul referred to as Jerusalem in his time) and it was given to help the temple building in the wilderness based on how God prospered each individual)–Ex.25:3-9. tithe is wrong. that's all am asking you, and not calling for insults and mud-slingings, they're absolutely unnecessary!
what upsets me is your penchant to tell outright lies and twist scriptures to assert this scam. Every one knows that the new testament was written in Greek and not hebrew yet you are quoting an hebrew word and twisting it to suit your preconceived ideas. The passages you quoted above have been thoroughly thrashed out in the past so i won't waste my time. on the issue of convincing a new convert that tithing is wrong i think the onus is on tithing advocates to biblical establish that tithing is right without twisting the scriptures base on christian teachings of the apostles.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:54am On Dec 15, 2009
JeSoul:

I am particularly saddened that Tonye, a brother I once had a sizeable amount of fancy for has determined to pursue with passion this false teaching that is "required/mandatory tithes".

Hey Jesoul my sister, i read alittle of psychology and i know just the right what you're trying to do by the bolden letters ^^, the last time we both discussed you're really proved to me that "of a truth even a supposedly "matured" christians could really get angry and in course spit rubbish from there mouths, however i wont decline to still affirm my stands here.

1st: . Its in my bellicose nature to stand any crowd regardless of the size and stand firm to say what i feel is right

2nd:  I use to be in the underground (religion section) to learn from peeps about some issues in christianity, and ignorantly i have been taking in things unknown to me were unhealthy here and yeah some of your posts used to be encouraging and i complimented you for them howbeit i discovered some as errors and beckoned on you for clerifications instead of coming out to say what you mean/meant you rather choose to flee maybe for fear of being caught and funny enough your recent posts have not changed neither. I kindly appeal unto you as brethren to pls write why you feel tithing is wrong, and maybe the "DECEIVED" will learn from "HER" and turn back to call "HIM" a scam. simple! and not call me unfair names. thank you

3rd: i didnt come to nairaland, religion section in particular to gain any accolades/ honor from fellows here, besides i hate been praised because it sprouts pride and undue honor on someone. I rather came here to speak out what i feel is the truth and i make references from the scriptures to butress my opinion and anyone who feel am wrong is free to also say why you feel i m wrong and not tag someone as folly/foolish. i rather choose to be the last man standing who will be hated with all hatred that there could be.

Luke 6:25-26

26 "Woe to you when all men speak well of you

Let anyone who feel i am wrong about tithing come up to say why it is wrong from the scriptures. Simple! i wonder why this seem too difficult. smiley smiley
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 10:03am On Dec 15, 2009
@KunleOshod,

Point of correction, the biblos scrolls were written in Aramaic and Hebrew languages and later translated to greek when the greek nation overthrew the persian empire wink
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 2:33pm On Dec 15, 2009
I still don't see any example of a "laborer" paying tithes here, tithes were paid from the "produce of the land" and livestock, tent makers were not required to tithe neither were the other "artisans".

I have heard the argument " if 90% can not do it for you, 100% can't do it either" and have always wondered "who gets 100% after taxes?", free will giving is what is required of Christians and not some programmed offering. "Collect" doesn't mean 10% or does it? SHOW ME EXAMPLES OF WORKERS, LABORERS, etc PAYING TITHE cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

It took Martin Luther to point out what was wrong with the sale of indulgence and it might take another Martin Luther and even an MLK to free poor Nigerians from this god of men inspired bondage, poor country men gets screwed by their "government" Monday through Friday and on Sundays by some of the folks who are supposed to look after their spiritual welfare, omase!

Stealing is stealing whether you use a gun or the Bible cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by afiq(m): 2:48pm On Dec 15, 2009
Tithe here, tithe there, tithe tithe everywhere cheesy cheesy cheesy One thing for sure>> NOone can drag me to "tithe wagon churches" LOL grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 5:15pm On Dec 15, 2009
ogajim:

I still don't see any example of a "laborer" paying tithes here, tithes were paid from the "produce of the land" and livestock, tent makers were not required to tithe neither were the other "artisans".

Tithing – Money or Agricultural produce?

A biblical origin of Ma’aser began with Cain and Abel who gave the Bikkurim ( a portion of their increase) in livestocks and farm produce. I, personally do not solicit that tithing should be in any fixed mode be it money or any modus operandi, for the biblos never gave specific instruction on that except to the nation of Israel and not the pre- Israeli nations or people/era.
When Abraham tithed (Bikkurim) he gave a tenth of all, what then is this all? I suppose; gold, diamond, silver, garments, crops, livestock and so on. Without any logical reasoning one should know that the moneys used in ancient times were the diamonds, silver and golds he gave as well as the agricultural produce he gave will mean the crops and livestocks. So whether one purposes in the heart to give money based on ma’aser (original tithe) and another chooses to give produce still based on ma’aser terumah, or Rishon or Terumat it makes no difference for all scriptures both OT and NT are given by the inspiration of God and they all are profitable for doctrine (1Timothy 3:16). For any argument on tithe based on only one system to me makes no use, what matters is the heart one gives from and the desire to maintain this ordinance that began before the law.

And point of correction, everyone was required to tithe, safe for the levites who didnt have any landed inheritance in the promise land. should i quote it?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 5:18pm On Dec 15, 2009
afiq:

Tithe here, tithe there, tithe tithe everywhere cheesy cheesy cheesy One thing for sure>> NOone can drag me to "tithe wagon churches" LOL grin

Because the truth is likened unto an oil no matter how one tries hard to dissolve it in water, it just will always float! wink wink wink
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 7:17pm On Dec 15, 2009
Abraham paid 10% tithe to the king of Salem from the spoils of war and not from his own personal wealth. You pointed out (rightly) in an earlier post that it was "the custom" of the people then to pay 10% as "sara" or whatever name one might call it, the Levites were required to pay 10% to the Priests of the Temple from the tithes they collected and the rest was used for "administration" and other services that were required to run the "government" then and that is in fact where our modern system of banking and government comes from if you study your Bible history very well to the point of it being "corrupted" forcing Jesus Christ to chase them out of the Temple for " turning my Father's house into a den of thieves"

Abraham's and the Levite tithes are different and unrelated!

Are Christians expected to follow "customs" that have no Scriptural bases?
Did our Lord Jesus Christ follow "customs" while he did his work?
Was there any mention of tithes that were different from produce, livestock, spices, etc?
Did the king of Salem demand tithes from Abraham or was it customary?
Why do "modern" day "pastors have to twist the Scriptures for momentary gains and not trust the faithful to do give freely?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by viaro: 7:25pm On Dec 15, 2009
ogajim:

Abraham paid 10% tithe to the king of Salem from the spoils of war and not from his own personal wealth.

What do you call someone who behaves like that - take something belonging to someone else and use it as your own?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:53am On Dec 17, 2009
ogajim:

Abraham paid 10% tithe to the king of Salem from the spoils of war and not from his own personal wealth.

Does it matter if he gave from the spoils of war or personal wealth, what should matter is that ABRAHAM TITHED! simple!

ogajim:

You pointed out (rightly) in an earlier post that it was "the custom" of the people then to pay 10% as "sara" or whatever name one might call it, the Levites were required to pay 10% to the Priests of the Temple from the tithes they collected and the rest was used for "administration" and other services that were required to run the "government" then

Now i can truly say my friend is learning fast, Bravo! i love this wink wink

ogajim:

and that is in fact where our modern system of banking and government comes from if you study your Bible history very well

Believe me, i couldnt stop clapping for you where i am, Bravo again, u r 2 much! wink wink wink

ogajim:

to the point of it being "corrupted" forcing Jesus Christ to chase them out of the Temple for " turning my Father's house into a den of thieves"

Point of correction mr.Ogajim, did the bible say it was tithing they were transacting b4 Jesus came and drove them? hmmmm let me the see the scriptures again

>>>Matt 21

12. And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves,

13. And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.

Mr Ogajim what related tithing with selling and buying, tithing means giving 1/10th of your possession while what bible said the fools did in the temple was the selling and buying moneys and doves. pls i stand to correct you, dont misinterprete scriptures. wink smiley

ogajim:
Abraham's and the Levite tithes are different and unrelated!

Yes, Abraham gave Ma-aser  while the levites gave terumat ma'aser. u r a good learner wink

ogajim:
Are Christians expected to follow "customs" that have no Scriptural bases?
Did our Lord Jesus Christ follow "customs" while he did his work?
Was there any mention of tithes that were different from produce, livestock, spices, etc?
Did the king of Salem demand tithes from Abraham or was it customary?
Why do "modern" day "pastors have to twist the Scriptures for momentary gains and not trust the faithful to do give freely?

Question 1. Tithe/tithing is a custom that have scriptural bases. Abraham of the scriptures tithed

Question 2. Yes, the least i can remember of the list was that he attended the passover. meaning he adhered to customs. Luke 22:8 - "He said to Peter, go make ready the passover for us, that we may eat"  wink wink

Question 3. Yes, Bible said Abraham gave a 10th of all (inclusive of diamonds, golds, silver - all which were the currency used in Abraham's time) , so you see tithing could mean money, again the Ma'aser terumah Apostle Paul ordered was to be given from the income of the corinthians (that again could be money) cheesy cheesy

Question 4. The King of salem did not order it, it was rather customary, Abraham was a tither even b4 meeting the King, but what made Melchisedek's own different was that now Abraham was giving it to God's representative of which Jesus came from the order of this king (melchisedek)

Question 5. The modern pastors who twist scriptures will be judged for their greed, but that still doesnt make tithe a wrong it afterall.

Good day!

Hi Viaro! long time wink wink and compliments of the season.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by aletheia(m): 2:24pm On Dec 17, 2009
Tonye-t:

Does it matter if he gave from the spoils of war or personal wealth, what should matter is that ABRAHAM TITHED! simple!
1. It does matter!
2. And BTW did He give to Melchizedek, this one time or was it an annual or regular "tithing" to the King of Salem?
3. Are pentecostal pastors from the tribe of Levi?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 11:46am On Dec 18, 2009
Aletheia,

I would that you read this note below maybe you'll understand a better notion about tithe to your question 1.

Tithing – The Purpose

The primary reason for tithing I will say is first worship to a god to acknowledge his/her ownership of everything and as such they are given back all/some portion. Some ancient writings say it could also mean an act of appreciation , a solicitation , an enquiry , an appeasement to a deity. Whichever way its been seen, it should be appreciated a fact that this act mean more of an ancestral standard to a law. How do I mean, in the Babylonian scrolls which preceded Abrahamism or Judaism none ever revealed that they were commanded to tithe under any given law, neither was it recorded that the first tithers- Cain and Abel (Bikkurim) ever did so based on compulsion as the supposedly law era gave.
Howbeit the introduction of this ancestral act in the era of Judaism (Moses’ time) was never given as a law per se, but the law only showed how this act was to be administered.

Question 2. Did he give it once or always, read this!

Tithing – Once in a Lifetime or Daily or Weekly or Monthly or Yearly?

- Following the scriptures, Cain and Abel were recorded to have given once, maybe they gave more, we don’t know unless we judge following John. 21 : 25
- Abraham was recorded to have given once.
- Jacob was recorded once to have promised giving tithe
- Moses’ time and the Nation of Israel introduced it into the law and did not specify a time for ma’aser safe for the ‘year of tithing- once every third year’. Scholars say they practiced it after every harvest (time of increase)which varied by tribes and calendars
- Jephthah was recorded once to have promised Bikkurim and he fulfilled the promise. (Judg.11…)
- Religious sect in the NT strictly adhered unto the Terumat that it was given just about every week if not every day but wrongly on hypocritical grounds.

Ma’aser is an act of worship and one should give as unto God and not unto any religious order except we choose to follow religion (which to me is still not wrong -2Tim.3:16, James.1:7) . The importance is that tithing should be made on the ground of worship / appeasement / appreciation / solicitation / enquiry. One who choses to give once in a life time is same as the other who choses to give daily, weekly and so on for he who gives should do so as unto the Lord and not to Man (Eph. 6:7).

Question 3: Pentecostal Pastors are not after the order of the levites but the order of the Christ who followed after Melchisedek, read it!

Tithing – The Priesthood Significance

Through the bible, God’s relationship with man has followed a pattern and this pattern has standards that both parties must maintain for a true relationship
What were this patterns?:
one of such was that there must be a Priest who mediates between God and Man (read.Heb.7:17-20)Mechisedek was the first to assume this office of which Job did the same (Job.1:5), thereafter Abraham (Gen.18:20-33),Abraham’s lineage and then to Jacob’s and later to Moses and the trail followed until Jesus’s time. What made this priestly office unique was the fact that they gave offerings as a means of worship/relationship and they offered sacrifices which were meant to make atonement for sins, they taught the people how to relate with God and Man.
Again, One practice the bible noted that some of these princes/priests did was the act of receiving offerings, take for example Melchisedek received offering, Aaron and the priesthoods received offerings as Moses instituted, both Jesus (Lk.7:37), Paul and Peter received offerings too.

Now Melchisedek in Retrospect:

Jesus was made a priest after the order of melchisedek, Jesus Christ was a priest after Melchisedek and Melchisedek received offering, what then is expected of Jesus Christ?. This order could be compared as unto Aaron (as melchisedek) and the levites (as Christ)-Heb.7:16, Aaron received it under the law; likewise the levites took it from the people and gave it to the High priest whom Aaron fell into.
Today when we give tithe, the clergies after the order of Christ receive it and offer prayers of blessings. refer Gen. 18:19. And he (Melchisedek) blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth. Read Hebrews.6, 7,8
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by TV01(m): 2:52pm On Dec 18, 2009
Tonye-t:

I would that you read this note below maybe you'll understand a better notion about tithe to your question 1.

The primary reason for tithing I will say is first worship to a god to acknowledge his/her ownership of everything and as such they are given back all/some portion. Some ancient writings say it could also mean an act of appreciation , a solicitation , an enquiry , an appeasement to a deity. Whichever way its been seen, it should be appreciated a fact that this act mean more of an ancestral standard to a law. How do I mean, in the Babylonian scrolls which preceded Abrahamism or Judaism none ever revealed that they were commanded to tithe under any given law, neither was it recorded that the first tithers- Cain and Abel (Bikkurim) ever did so based on compulsion as the supposedly law era gave.
Howbeit the introduction of this ancestral act in the era of Judaism (Moses’ time) was never given as a law per se, but the law only showed how this act was to be administered.

Tonye-t you can lie. Spiritualise it all you like by calling it worship. A disciple of Christ knows that he is only a steward. You cannot give to someone what is His and not yours in the first place. Christian imperatives are far higher. We are not law-bound, but spirit led. God forbid that bondservants of Christ become slaves of men.

Tonye-t:

Question 2. Did he give it once or always, read this!

Tithing – Once in a Lifetime or Daily or Weekly or Monthly or Yearly?

- Following the scriptures, Cain and Abel were recorded to have given once, maybe they gave more, we don’t know unless we judge following John. 21 : 25
- Abraham was recorded to have given once.
- Jacob was recorded once to have promised giving tithe
- Moses’ time and the Nation of Israel introduced it into the law and did not specify a time for ma’aser safe for the ‘year of tithing- once every third year’. Scholars say they practiced it after every harvest (time of increase)which varied by tribes and calendars
- Jephthah was recorded once to have promised Bikkurim and he fulfilled the promise. (Judg.11…)
- Religious sect in the NT strictly adhered unto the Terumat that it was given just about every week if not every day but wrongly on hypocritical grounds.

Ma’aser is an act of worship and one should give as unto God and not unto any religious order except we choose to follow religion (which to me is still not wrong -2Tim.3:16, James.1:7) . The importance is that tithing should be made on the ground of worship / appeasement / appreciation / solicitation / enquiry. One who choses to give once in a life time is same as the other who choses to give daily, weekly and so on for he who gives should do so as unto the Lord and not to Man (Eph. 6:7).

Falsehood upon falsehood. Go and sleep jo. Your whole life, entire being and existence are consecrated and if required consumed as a woirship offering to God. your "beggarly" tithing as worship notion is nothing more than limp man-made religion and pointless ritual. Your theology is all born of man, blood and flesh. Stop already!

Tonye-t:

Question 3: Pentecostal Pastors are not after the order of the levites but the order of the Christ who followed after Melchisedek, read it![/color][/font]

Tithing – The Priesthood Significance

Through the bible, God’s relationship with man has followed a pattern and this pattern has standards that both parties must maintain for a true relationship
What were this patterns?:
one of such was that there must be a Priest who mediates between God and Man (read.Heb.7:17-20)Mechisedek was the first to assume this office of which Job did the same (Job.1:5), thereafter Abraham (Gen.18:20-33),Abraham’s lineage and then to Jacob’s and later to Moses and the trail followed until Jesus’s time. What made this priestly office unique was the fact that they gave offerings as a means of worship/relationship and they offered sacrifices which were meant to make atonement for sins, they taught the people how to relate with God and Man.
Again, One practice the bible noted that some of these princes/priests did was the act of receiving offerings, take for example Melchisedek received offering, Aaron and the priesthoods received offerings as Moses instituted, both Jesus (Lk.7:37), Paul and Peter received offerings too.

Now Melchisedek in Retrospect:

Jesus was made a priest after the order of melchisedek, Jesus Christ was a priest after Melchisedek and Melchisedek received offering, what then is expected of Jesus Christ?. This order could be compared as unto Aaron (as melchisedek) and the levites (as Christ)-Heb.7:16, Aaron received it under the law; likewise the levites took it from the people and gave it to the High priest whom Aaron fell into.
Today when we give tithe, the clergies after the order of Christ receive it and offer prayers of blessings. refer Gen. 18:19. And he (Melchisedek) blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth. Read Hebrews.6, 7,8

Ah, ah! Simply wretched and mischevious. There is only one High Priest in this dispensation. The One who is Higher, Holy and undefiled. We are all priests and kings to boot. Your wilful delineation of types of clergy after Christ is nothing short of blasphemy.

Bobo whats your motivation? Apart form Filthy lucre that is?

Truly men say that religion and politics are the cause of all the worlds wars/problems etc. While I do not subscribe to worldy sayings in their entirety, there're often nuggets of truth contained therein.

The politicians that are bedeviling this land and the religionists that are bewitching it are one and the same. Surely God will judge.

TV
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 3:48pm On Dec 18, 2009
TV01:

Tonye-t you can lie. Spiritualise it all you like by calling it worship. A disciple of Christ knows that he is only a steward. You cannot give to someone what is His and not yours in the first place. Christian imperatives are far higher. We are not law-bound, but spirit led. God forbid that bondservants of Christ become slaves of men.

See how he's contradicting himself, so what is expected of a steward.

>>>1 Cor 4:2

2 Here, moreover, it is required in stewards , that a man be found faithful.[/b]ASV

Faithful in what, dont let me teach you na, haba must i teach everything again

TV01:

Christian imperatives are far higher

Hmmm really? like higher than giving, like higher than worshipping God with our substance, like honoring God with the firstfruit of our increase. Imperative grammar indeed.

Prov 3:9-10
9.    [b]Honor the LORD with your substance
      and with the first fruits of all your produce
;
10.  then your barns will be filled with plenty,
       and your vats will be bursting with wine.
       NRSV

TV01:

falsehood upon falsehood. Go and sleep jo. Your whole life, entire being and existence are consecrated and if required consumed as a woirship offering to God.

Thank you very much, Flesh and Blood has not revealed this to you. cheesy cheesy, and to add, in our consecration/ worship to God how exactly should i show God i am set-apart if not to prove it.

Eccl 12:13
here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the whole [duty] of man.
NIV

TV01:

Bobo whats your motivation? Apart form Filthy lucre that is?

To teach peeps the truth whoch i wasnt told until i learnt it the hard way. wink wink wink

TV01:

Truly men say that religion and politics are the cause of all the worlds wars/problems etc. While I do not subscribe to worldy sayings in their entirety, there're often nuggets of truth contained therein.

Double standard its called, no wonder i wont be surprised you dont even know the meaning of RELIGION to have used it there.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 3:53pm On Dec 18, 2009
@Pastor Tonye-t, hope you dont mind my asking, i am not so familiar with some of the various remittances you have to make in church (of-course i know about the normal offering & tithes). When is the first fruit paid? is it when i get a new job? or once a year maybe at the begining of every year? Thanks.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by jice(m): 4:18pm On Dec 18, 2009
Tonye-t. I love the anlysis but I tell you it is theological oriented for the the consumption of the general assembly.

[flash=200,200]http://One who choses to give once in a life time is same as the other who choses to give daily, weekly and so on for he who gives should do so as unto the Lord and not to Man (Eph. 6:7).[/flash]

Tithing is Pay as you earn and not a once in a life time.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 4:31pm On Dec 18, 2009
@ Jice,

All scriptures are given by the inspiration of God and are profitable for doctrines which is theology. wink

Thanx though are you a brother to
iice?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by jice(m): 4:45pm On Dec 18, 2009
I only met iice here and have not even shared any issue
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Dec 18, 2009
Tithing is Pay as you earn and not a once in a life time.

could   you  Please adduce any scriptural backing for this assertion.

All scriptures are given by the inspiration of God and are profitable for doctrines which is theology

So you know these yet you refuse to heed the scriptural admonition which says the jewish law has been abolished.

simple question you ve bee dodging

1 where in the bible did christians pay tithes or were asked to pay tithes.

2.Two types of tithes were described in the bible ;the levithical tithes paid once in three years,and the melchizedek tihe paid once in a life time.Todays pentecostal pastors ask their members to pay tithes on weekly and monthy basis ,on what scriptural quote is this innovation premised?

3.compulsory circumcision was practised by Abraham on God's command long before moses gave the law to the isrealites,why then did Paul condemn it as being part of the jewiah law ?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 5:46pm On Dec 18, 2009
@chukwudi44
Where have you been? Nice to have to back to tackle this false filthy lucre loving teachers on the forum wink
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 6:21pm On Dec 18, 2009
As long as there are people who still can't study their own Bible but rely on others for interpretation and direction, this SCAM will continue. Nigerians and most Africans are conditioned to "respect elders, authority, etc" so even when they are being mislead, they either refuse to acknowledge or deny the existence of the scam.

Our people get screwed double: by the people they elect and by some of the people that they believe can lead them to the promised land, heck, they seem to work together to screw the average man.

Free your self from these PIMPS in suits, trust God only cool cool cool cool
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Dec 19, 2009
Where have you been? Nice to have to back to tackle this false filthy lucre loving teacher on the forum

I have been busy of late,but that should not stop me from relenting in this crusade against these foxes in the lord's vine yard
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by jcross22: 2:33pm On Dec 19, 2009
PAYING TITHE IS NOT THE PATHWAY WAY TO SUCCESS AND TO PARADISE WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF TITHES, WHY ARE THEY GIVEN SUCH TASK IN THE WILDERNESS AND WHY DO JESUS CAME TO THE WORLD THESE QUESTIONS WE NEED TO STUDY IT IN OUR BIBLE . TITHE IS ONLY PAID IN THE TEMPLE OR SYNAGOGUE NOT IN CHURCH , IT IS PAID ONLY ONCE IN A YEAR OR EVERY 90 DAYS NOT EVERY MONTH, SUNDAY OR EVERY SERVICE AND TITHE IS ONLY MANDATED FOR THE LEVITE . CHURCH IS A BODY OF CHRIST AND AFTER THE DEATH OF CHRIST A NEW WAY OF WORSHIP WAS INVENTED EVEN IN THE TIME OF JESUS A NEW WAY OF PRAYING WAS INVENTED IN WHICH CERTAIN OF PROPHECY OF ISAIAH BECAME FULFILLED WHICH SAYS " I WILL MAKE A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISREAL "IF YOU LIKE PAY YOUR TITHES IF YOU LIKE DON'T PAY THAT WILL NOT ACCOUNT FOR YOUR STATUS BEFORE GOD . BUT REMEMBER IN MATHEW 24 V 7 TO 8 JESUS SAYS I SAY TO YOU GO I DON'T KNOW YOU B,COS I WAS IN PRISON YOU NEVER COME TO VISIT ME , WHEN I WAS THIRSTY YOU NEVER GIVE ME WATER BUT JESUS NEVER MENTION WHEN I AS CHURCH YOU NEVER GIVE ME YOUR TITHE , DO YOU SEE THAT IN YOUR BIBLE? IF THERE IS NO TITHE IN CHURCH WE WILL KNOW THE REAL MAN OF GOD .
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 1:37pm On Dec 21, 2009
jcross22:

PAYING TITHE IS NOT THE PATHWAY WAY TO SUCCESS AND TO PARADISE WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF TITHES, WHY ARE THEY GIVEN SUCH TASK IN THE WILDERNESS AND WHY DO JESUS CAME TO THE WORLD THESE QUESTIONS WE NEED TO STUDY IT IN OUR BIBLE . TITHE IS ONLY PAID IN THE TEMPLE OR SYNAGOGUE NOT IN CHURCH , IT IS PAID ONLY ONCE IN A YEAR OR EVERY 90 DAYS NOT EVERY MONTH, SUNDAY OR EVERY SERVICE AND TITHE IS ONLY MANDATED FOR THE LEVITE . CHURCH IS A BODY OF CHRIST AND AFTER THE DEATH OF CHRIST A NEW WAY OF WORSHIP WAS INVENTED EVEN IN THE TIME OF JESUS A NEW WAY OF PRAYING WAS INVENTED IN WHICH CERTAIN OF PROPHECY OF ISAIAH BECAME FULFILLED WHICH SAYS " I WILL MAKE A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISREAL "IF YOU LIKE PAY YOUR TITHES IF YOU LIKE DON'T PAY THAT WILL NOT ACCOUNT FOR YOUR STATUS BEFORE GOD . BUT REMEMBER IN MATHEW 24 V 7 TO 8 JESUS SAYS I SAY TO YOU GO I DON'T KNOW YOU B,COS I WAS IN PRISON YOU NEVER COME TO VISIT ME , WHEN I WAS THIRSTY YOU NEVER GIVE ME WATER BUT JESUS NEVER MENTION WHEN I AS CHURCH YOU NEVER GIVE ME YOUR TITHE , DO YOU SEE THAT IN YOUR BIBLE? IF THERE IS NO TITHE IN CHURCH WE WILL KNOW THE REAL MAN OF GOD .

Mr.Jcross22,

I simply do not understand what you seem to be writing up there. maybe the arrangements or the inorderliness?

And to reinstate my opinion, i am still saying with NT biblical evidences that Tithing is still relevant as Free-will offerings and other forms/modes of giving.

God bless you!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 1:50pm On Dec 21, 2009
@Chukwudi44,

I must say you did a good job in the thread :The rise of a counterfeit christianity as i took my time to read your posts and make link searches to verify your claims despite the typos in your spellings, now that to me is how to discuss constructively and contribute too , but when someone jumps in from nowhere and write without going back to check others writings simply because you feel your opponent is wrong you choose not to read there posts is to me unreasonable.

Therefore i say that all your questions up here have been duly answered, so the best you could do b4 you counteract another is for you to quote their writings and make your oppositions. Its called matured argumentations.!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 2:45pm On Dec 21, 2009
Mr. tithe,

Tithe is a practice that started in paganism and if you are to practice that, you might as well add the burnt offerings and the others.

Even in our Nigerian culture, ever heard of people sending their first salary or part of it home to be "blessed and enjoyed" by their immediate family? How different is that from your tithes?

Jesus Christ did not die for us so we can still be bound by those practices, it might be better to spend your "research time" on other worthy subjects, get off this gravy train, or better yet, find a real job as only those who somehow benefit from this unholy practice can continue to march the "zombies" to comply or else they're "robbing" God.

Christianity is not about traditions dude, I would like a poll to show what % of those who tithe do it out of belief as opposed to "going with the flow" or "doing the expected".

Jesus Christ is my ADVOCATE and I sincerely don't need an "MOG" or "GOM" to tell me how to serve my master or how to help others. FREE WILL offering is what is expected of us and not the cajoled, scared, shamed tactics that these PIMPS use to fleece the flock, they shall surely answer for this SCAM.

You can't buy God's blessings, good DEEDS and LOVE for others is what Christ and his Apostles preached. It was so important that Christ never paid it, you guys must have taken the place of the Pharisees to continue their practice if you ask me. tongue
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by jcross22: 8:13pm On Dec 21, 2009
PAYING TITHE IS NOT THE PATHWAY WAY TO SUCCESS AND TO PARADISE WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF TITHES, WHY ARE THEY GIVEN SUCH TASK IN THE WILDERNESS AND WHY DO JESUS CAME TO THE WORLD THESE QUESTIONS CAN ANSWERED THROUGH OUR BIBLE. WE NEED TO STUDY IT IN OUR BIBLE . TITHE IS ONLY PAID IN THE TEMPLE OR SYNAGOGUE NOT IN CHURCH , IT IS PAID ONLY ONCE IN A YEAR OR ONCE IN THREE YEARS NOT EVERY MONTH, SUNDAY OR EVERY SERVICE AND TITHE IS ONLY MANDATED FOR THE LEVITE . CHURCH IS A BODY OF CHRIST AND AFTER THE DEATH OF CHRIST A NEW WAY OF WORSHIP WAS INVENTED EVEN IN THE TIME OF JESUS A NEW WAY OF PRAYING WAS INVENTED IN WHICH CERTAIN PROPHECY OF ISAIAH BECAME FULFILLED WHICH SAYS " I WILL MAKE A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISREAL "IF YOU LIKE PAY YOUR TITHES IF YOU LIKE DON'T PAY THAT WILL NOT ACCOUNT FOR YOUR STATUS BEFORE GOD . BUT REMEMBER IN MATHEW 24 V 7 TO 8 JESUS SAYS I I WILL SAY TO YOU GO I DON'T KNOW YOU B,COS WHEN I WAS IN PRISON YOU NEVER COME TO VISIT ME , WHEN I WAS THIRSTY YOU NEVER GIVE ME WATER BUT JESUS NEVER MENTION WHEN I WAS IN CHURCH YOU NEVER GIVE ME YOUR TITHE , DO YOU SEE THAT IN YOUR BIBLE? IF THERE IS NO TITHE IN CHURCH WE WILL KNOW THE REAL MAN OF GOD .

AM SORRY WHEN I WAS WRITING IT I MADE A MISTAKE.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 1:47pm On Dec 23, 2009
Mr.Ogajim,

- If you're saying tithe started in paganism, then let me be plsd to inform you dat even praise and worship all started same time too wink wink whats really the big deal

- As per the Nigeria culture, that is what i call ANCESTRAL INSTINCT, which even tithe falls into

- Jesus' death had nothing to do with abolishing tithe, rather it does to put an end to Sin and death same for the resurrected and new man wink wink

- Yeah Christianity aint gat nothing to do with traditions, but recall ALL SCRIPTURES ARE GIVEN BY GOD [OT & NT] AND ARE PROFITABLE FOR DOCTRINES ever heard dat b4?

- Yeah Jesus is my Advocate too, but what roles have the Bishops and clergies got to do if not administer to our spiritual needs

- Did you say Freewill offering is what God only expects from us, it will please u to know dat the word [U] FREEWILL OFFERING [/U] never appeared anywhere in the NT, so where is your NT idealogy coming from cheesy cheesy

- Yeah no one can buy God's blessings, but Jesus told us [u] GIVE AND IT SHALL BE GIVEN TO YOU [/U]

my brother , there aint nothing you can do about it, tithe is still very much relevant today as everyother Christian basis does. wink wink

Compliments of the season!!!!!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Enigma(m): 4:06pm On Dec 23, 2009
ogajim:

Our people get screwed double: by the people they elect and by some of the people that they believe can lead them to the promised land, heck, they seem to work together to screw the average man.

Free your self from these PIMPS in suits, trust God only cool cool cool cool

I really like this way of putting things. cool

Happy Christmas and prosperous new year to one and all. smiley
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 4:09pm On Dec 23, 2009
@ Enigma,

does that make the practise of tithing wrong?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 5:09pm On Dec 23, 2009
Tonye-t:

- Yeah no one can buy God's blessings, but Jesus told us [u] GIVE AND IT SHALL BE GIVEN TO YOU [/U]

Do unto others as you would want them to do to/towards you. That is basically what the "give and it shall be given to you" is talking about when read in proper context.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by chuckvyl(m): 12:52pm On Dec 24, 2009
@Poster
You need to prayerfully study your bible for you to know the truth about tithes.
As christians we struggle with some doctrines because we do not even understand Judaism in the first place.
Follow me in this exciting journey about tithe.

POINT #1::What is Tithe?
In God’s Word the Tithe was Always Only Food from Inside Israel!

The false teaching is that biblical tithes include ALL sources of income.

Use God’s Word to define “tithe” and not a secular dictionary! Using a complete Bible concordance you will discover that the definition used by tithe-advocates is wrong. In God’s Word “tithe” does not stand alone. Although money existed before tithing, the source of God's "tithe" over 1500 years was never money. It was the “tithe of food.” True biblical tithes were always only food from the farms and herds of only Israelites who only lived inside God’s Holy Land, the national boundary of Israel. No tithes were accepted from defiled pagan lands. The “increase” was gathered from what God miraculously produced and not from man's craft or ability.If you have access to a Rabbi who knows the law more than your pastor,ask him who was qualified to pay tithe.And he will tell you that crafts men,carpenters were not eligible to p0ay tithe.It was only produce of land and livestock that was accepted.I live in London and i have asked so many Rabbis and they said the same thing.

There are 16 verses from 11 chapters and 8 books from Leviticus 27 to Luke 11 which describe the contents of the tithe. And the contents never (I repeat), never included money, silver, gold or anything other than food from inside Israel! Yet the incorrect definition of "tithe" is the greatest error being preached about tithing today! (See Lev. 27:30, 32; Num. 18:27-28; Deut. 12:17; 14:22-23; 26:12; 2 Chron. 31:5-6; Neh. 10:37; 13:5; Mal. 3:10-11; Matt. 23:23; Luke 11: 42).

POINT #2: MONEY: Money Was an Essential but Non-Tithed Item

The false assumption is that food barter usually replaced money.

One argument to support non-food tithing is that money was not universally available and barter from food was used for most transactions. This argument is neither biblical nor historical. Genesis alone contains “money” in 32 texts and the word occurs 44 times before the tithe is first mentioned in Leviticus 27. Gold is first mentioned in Genesis 2:12. The words "jewelry," "gold," "silver" and shekel also appear often from Genesis to Deuteronomy.

Many centuries before Israel entered Canaan and began tithing food from God’s Holy Land money was an essential everyday item. For example Abraham was very rich in silver and gold (Gen 13:2); money in the form of silver shekels paid for slaves (Gen 17:12+); Abimelech gave Abraham 1000 pieces of silver (Gen 20:16); Abraham paid 400 pieces of silver for land (Gen 23:9-16); Joseph was sold for silver pieces (Gen 37:28); slaves bought freedom (Ex 23:11). Court fines (Ex 21 all; 22 all), sanctuary dues (Ex 30:12+), vows (Lev 27:3-7), poll taxes (Num 3:47+), alcoholic drinks (Deu 14:26) and marriage dowries (Deu 22:29) included money.

Joseph gave Benjamin 300 pieces of silver (Gen 45:22). According to Genesis 47:15-17 food was used for barter only after money had been spent. Banking and usury laws exist in Leviticus even before tithing. Therefore the argument that money was not prevalent enough for everyday use is false. Yet the tithe contents from Leviticus to Luke never include money from non-food products and trades.

POINT #3: GENESIS 14:20: Abraham’s Tithe to Melchizedek Reflected Free will giving and not a commandment

Abraham plundered his enemies(that captured sodom including Lot his brother) and returned with spoils of war.We do not know for sure what the spoils were but it included human captors,clothes,jewelries,gold etc.This spoils did not belong to him but it belonged to the King of Sodom.He gave from the spoils a tenth to thank God when he gave to Melchisedec.Now if he tithed from his possesions he wouldnt have returned the 90% to the rightful owner(King of Sodom).Abraham even said that 'he will not take anything from the King of Sodom lest he said that he made Abram rich'.Sometimes i wonder if pastors actually read this text well.What caused this reaction from Abram was because the King of Sodom told him to give back the people to him and keep everything to himself.This was the rightful owner trying to reward Abram for his help in rescuing his people back.But Abram refused to accept it.Now what baffles me is that we use this as an example of tithe.Funny.So if we were to pay tithe then we should tithe from what belongs to somebody else and not our possesion.This was a one time event and it was never recorded that Abram was commanded by God to tithe.

POINT #4: NO MINIMUM PRINCIPLE: Tithing Was Not a Minimum Requirement from All Old Covenant Israelites

The false teaching is that everybody was required to begin their giving level at ten per cent.

Only those Israelites who earned a livelihood from farming and herding inside Israel were required to tithe under the Mosaic Law. Their increase came from God’s hand. Those whose increase came from their own crafts and skills were not required to tithe products and money. The poor and needy who did not tithe and received from the tithe gave freewill offerings.

POINT #5: LEVITES(Servants to the priests): First-Tithes were Received by Servants to the Priests.

The false teaching is that Old Testament priests received all of the first tithe.

The "whole" tithe, the first tithe, did not go to the priests at all. It was not even the “best” tenth (Lev 27:33). According to Numbers 18:21-24 and Nehemiah 10:37b, it went to the servants of the priests, the Levites. And according to Numbers 18:25-28 and Nehemiah 10:38, the Levites gave the “best tenth of this tithe” (1%) which they received to the priests who ministered the sin sacrifices and served inside the holy places. Priests did not tithe.

It is also important to know that, in exchange for receiving these tithes, both Levites and priests forfeited all rights to permanent land inheritance inside Israel (Num. 18:20-26; Deut. 12:12; 14:27, 29; 18:1, 2; Josh. 13:14, 33; 14:3; 18:7; Eze. 44:28). Even if tithes were New Covenant they would first go to the ordinary workers who assist the preachers and maintain the buildings.

POINT #6: HOLY AND MOST HOLY: "It is Holy to the LORD" Does Not Make Tithing an Eternal Moral Principle.

The false teaching is that Leviticus 27:30-34 proves that the tithe is an "eternal moral principle" because "it is holy to the LORD."

The phrases “it is HOLY unto the LORD” and “it is MOST HOLY unto the LORD” are very common in Leviticus. However, almost every other use of these same two phrases in Leviticus has long ago been discarded by Christians. These phrases are used to describe all of the festivals, the sacrificial offerings, the clean food, the old covenant priests and the old covenant sanctuary. Especially read verses 28 and 29 in the same chapter.

While the “tithe of the tithe” (1%) which was given to the priests was the “best” of what the Levites received, the tithe which the Levites received was only “one tenth” and not the “best” (Lev. 27:33).

POINT #7: FIRST-FRUITS: First-fruits are Not the Same as Tithes

The false assumption is that tithes are first-fruits.

The first-fruit was a very small amount of the first crop harvest and the first-born was the first offspring of animals. First-fruits could only come from inside Israel.

The first-fruit was small enough to fit into a hand-held basket (Deut. 26:1-10; Lev. 23:17; Num. 18:13-17; Neh. 12:44; 2 Chron 31:5a).

First-fruits and first-born offerings went directly to the Temple and were required to be totally consumed by ministering priests only inside the Temple (Neh. 10:35-37a; Ex. 23:19; 34:26; Deut. 18:4).

The whole Levitical tithe went first to the Levitical cities and portions went to the Temple to feed both Levites and priests who were ministering there in rotation (Neh. 10:37b-39; 12:27-29, 44-47; Num. 18:21-28; 2 Chron 31:5b). While the Levites ate only the tithe, the priests could also eat from the first-fruits, first-born offerings and other offerings.

POINT #8: FOUR TITHES: There are Four Different Tithes Described in the Bible.

The false teaching ignores all other tithes and focuses on an incorrect interpretation of the first religious tithe.

The first religious tithe, called the "Levitical tithe," had two parts. Again, the whole first tithe was given to the Levites who were only servants to the priests (Numb. 18:21-24; Neh. 10:37b). The Levites, in turn, gave one tenth of the whole tithe to the priests (Numb. 18:25-28; Neh. 10:38). According to Deuteronomy 12 and 14, the second religious tithe, called the "feast tithe," was eaten by worshipers in the streets of Jerusalem during the three yearly festivals (Deut. 12:1-19; 14:22-26). And, according to Deuteronomy 14 and 26, a third tithe, called the "poor tithe," was kept in the towns every third year to feed the poor (Deut. 14:28, 29; 26:12, 13). Also, according to First Samuel 8:14-17, the ruler collected the first and best ten per cent for political use. During Jesus’ time Rome collected the first ten per cent (10%) of most food and twenty per cent (20%) of fruit crops as its spoils of war. It is dishonest to single out the one religious tithe and ignore the other two important religious tithes.

POINT #9: Jesus, Peter, Paul and the Poor Did Not Tithe

The false teaching is that everybody in the Old Testament was required to begin their giving to God at the ten per cent level.

The poor were not required to tithe at all! Neither did the tithe come from the results of man’s crafts, hands and skills. Only farmers and herdsmen gathered what God produced as tithe increase. Jesus was a carpenter; Paul was a tentmaker and Peter was a fisherman. None of these occupations qualified as tithe-payers because they did not farm or herd animals for a living. It is, therefore, incorrect to teach that everybody paid a required minimum of a tithe and, therefore, that New Covenant Christians should be required to at least begin at the same minimum as Old Covenant Israelites. This common false assumption is very often repeated and completely ignores the very plain definition of tithe as food gathered from farm increase or herd increase.

The widow’s mite is an example of free-will giving and is not an example of tithing. According to Edersheim none of the Temple’s chests were for tithes. The poor received money from those chests before leaving the temple.

It is also wrong to teach that the poor in Israel were required to pay tithes. In fact, they actually received tithes! Much of the second festival tithe and all of a special third-year tithe went to the poor! Many laws exempted the poor from abuse and expensive sacrifices which they could not afford (Lev. 14:21; 25:6, 25-28, 35, 36; 27:8; Deu. 12:1-19; 14:23, 28, 29; 15:7, 8, 11; 24:12, 14, 15, 19, 20; 26:11-13; Mal. 3:5; Matt. 12:1, 2; Mark 2:23, 24; Luke 2:22-24; 6:1, 2; 2 Cor. 8:12-14; 1 Tim. 5:8; Jas. 1:27).

POINT #10: TAXES: Tithes were Often Used as Political Taxes.

The false teaching is that tithes are never comparable to taxes or taxation.

In the Hebrew economy, the tithe was used in a totally different manner than it is preached today. Once again, those Levites who received the whole tithe were not even ministers or priests -- they were only servants to the priests! Numbers chapter 3 describes the Levites as carpenters, metal workers, leather-craftsmen and artists who maintained the small sanctuary. And, according to First Chronicles, chapters 23-26, during the time of King David and King Solomon the Levites were still skilled craftsmen who inspected and approved all work in the Temple: 24, 000 worked in the Temple as builders and supervisors; 6,000 were officials and judges; 4,000 were guards and 4,000 were musicians. As political representatives of the king, Levites used their tithe income to serve as officials, judges, tax collectors, treasurers, temple guards, musicians, bakers, singers and professional soldiers (1 Chron. 12:23, 26; 23:2-5; 26:29-32; 27:5). It is obvious why these examples of using biblical tithe-income are never used as examples in the church today.

Tithes never stimulated Old Covenant Levites or priests to establish a single mission outreach or encourage a single Gentile to become an Israelite (Ex. 23:32; 34:12, 15; Deut. 7:2). Old Covenant tithing was motivated and mandated by Law, not love. In fact, during most of Israel’s history the prophets were God’s primary spokesmen – and not the tithe-receiving Levites and priests. Tithing failed! See Hebrews 7:12-19.

POINT #11: MALACHI: Malachi 3 is the Most Abused Tithing Text in the Bible. The “whole” tithe never was supposed to go to the Temple!

The false teaching about tithes from Malachi 3 ignores important Bible facts.

A. CONTEXT: Malachi is Old Covenant and is never quoted in the New Covenant to validate tithing (Lev. 27:34; Neh. 10:28-29; Mal. 3:7; 4:4).

B. CONTEXT: In Malachi 3:10-11 tithes are still only food 1000 years after Leviticus 27.

C. LAW: Malachi’s audience had willingly reaffirmed the Old Covenant (Neh.10:28-29). The blessings and curses of tithing are identical to and inseparable from those of the entire Mosaic Law. The rain in Deuteronomy 28:12, 23-24 and Leviticus 26:1-4 is only obtained by obedience to all 600+ commandments. Galatians 3:10 (quoting Deu 27:26) “For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continues not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.” Trying to earn God’s blessings through tithing only brought curses for failure to keep all of the law. See also Galatians 3:19.

D. PRIEST-THIEVES: Beginning in 1:6 “you” in Malachi always refers to the dishonest priests and not the people (also 2:1-10; 2:13 to 3:1-5): “Even this whole nation of you --priests” (3:9). In 1:13-14 the priests had stolen tithed animals vowed to God. In Nehemiah 13:5-10 priests had stolen the Levites’ portion of the tithe. God’s curses on the priests are ignored by most tithe-teachers (1:14; 2:2 and 3:2-4).

E. LEVITICAL CITIES: . The Levitical cities must be included in a correct interpretation of Malachi 3:10 and they are not. Most tithe-recipients lived outside of Jerusalem.

F. 24 Courses: The 24 courses of Levites and priests must be included in a correct interpretation of Malachi 3 and they are not. Normally only 2% of the total Levite and priest work force served at the temple one week at a time. Subtract wives, males under the age of 30 and daughters. Therefore 2% did not require all of the tithe. See 1 Chron 23-26; 28:13, 21; 2 Chron. 8:14; 23:8; 31:2, 15-19; 35:4, 5, 10; Ezra 6:18; Neh. 11:19, 30; 12:24; 13:9, 10; Luke 1:5.

G. Nehemiah 10:37b-39 is the key to understanding Malachi 3:10, The people were commanded to bring their tithes, not to the temple, but to the nearby Levitical cities. Verse 38 says that the priests were with the Levites in the Levitical cities when they received the tithes.

H. STOREHOUSE: According to Nehemiah 13:5, 9 the “storehouse” in the Temple was only several rooms. The real “storehouses” were in the Levitical cites per Nehemiah 10:37b. Only the Levites and priests normally brought tithes to the Temple (10:38). Two rooms in the Temple were far too small to contain the tithe from the entire nation and 98% of the Levites and priests lived too far away to eat from them.

Therefore, Malachi 3:10’s “Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse” only makes contextual sense if it is only commanding dishonest priests to replace the tithes they had removed from it or had failed to bring to it.

While the 3:10 of the Law in Malachi is so important to tithe-teachers they ignore the 3:10 of the Gospel in Galatians and 2nd Corinthians. Perhaps those wanting to enforce the 3:10 Law of Malachi should also enforce the 3:10 Law of Numbers. They share the same context.

POINT #12: MATTHEW 23:23: The New Covenant Does Not Teach Tithing.

The false teaching is that Jesus taught tithing in Matthew 23:23 which, they say, is clearly in the New Testament.

I always ask them this.The lepers who were healed by Jesus came to Thank him and he asked them to go and show themselves to the priests and perform some rituals according to the law of moses.Jesus never condemned that aspect of Moses' law(Just like he never condemned tithing) but does that mean we should practise that because he never condemned it?

The New Covenant did not begin at the birth of Jesus, but at his death (Gal. 3:19, 24, 25; 4:4, 5). Tithing is not taught to the church after the cross! When Jesus discussed tithing in Matthew 23:23, “you” referred to “you scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites” who had made the Law a burden. Jesus endorsed and supported Old Covenant law until the cross (note “matters of the law” in 23:23). In Matthew 23:2 and 3 (the context of 23:23) Jesus told his Jewish followers to obey the scribes and Pharisees "because they sit in Moses’ seat." Yet He did not (and could not) command Gentiles whom He healed to present themselves to the priests and obey the Law of Moses (compare Matt. 5:23-24 and 8:4). And churches do not collect tithes from garden herbs as Jesus commanded.

There is not a single New Testament Bible text which teaches tithing after the cross – period! Acts 2:42-47 and 4:32-35 are not examples of tithing to support church leaders. According to 2:46 the Jewish Christians continued to worship in the Temple. And according to 2:44 and 4:33, 34 church leaders shared what they received equally with all church members. (This is not done today).

Finally Acts 21:20-25 proves that Jewish Christians were still zealously observing all of the Mosaic Law 30 years later –and that must include tithing—otherwise they would not have been allowed inside the Temple to worship. Therefore, any tithes collected by the early Jewish Christians were given to the Temple system and not to support the church.

POINT #13: PRIESTHOOD OF BELIEVERS: Old Covenant Priests Were Replaced by All-Believer-Priests.

The false teaching is that New Covenant elders and pastors are continuing where the Old Covenant priests left off and are due the tithe.

Compare Exodus 19:5-6 with First Peter 2: 9-10. Before the incident of the golden calves, God had intended for every Israelite to become a priest and tithing would have never been enacted. Priests did not tithe but received one tenth of the first tithe (Num. 18:26-28; Neh. 10:37, 38).

The function and purpose of Old Covenant priests were replaced, not by elders and pastors, but by the priesthood of every believer. Like other ordinances of the Law, tithing was only a temporary shadow until Christ (Eph. 2:14-16; Col. 2:13-17; Heb. 7:18; 10:1). In the New Covenant every believer is a priest to God (1 Pet. 2:9-10; Rev. 1:6; 5:10). And, as a priest, every believer offers sacrifices to God (Heb. 4:16; 10:19-22; 13:15, 16). Therefore, every ordinance which had previously applied to the old priesthood was blotted out at the cross. Since Jesus was not from the tribe of Levi, even He was disqualified. Thus the original temporary purpose of tithing no longer exists (Heb. 7:12-19; Gal. 3:19, 24-25; 2 Cor. 3:10-18)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (41) (Reply)

Letter To Daddy Freeze — From A 16-Year-Old Boy / Lizzy Johnson Suleman: "They Were Photoshopped" Apostle Wife On Stephanie Oboto / Prophet S.K. Abiara’s 8 Children In Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 171
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.