Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,358 members, 7,860,950 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:44 PM

Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? - Religion (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? (43626 Views)

Poll: Does the New Testament require us to tithe?

Yes: 38% (28 votes)
No: 61% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Says God Can Not Change Your Story (photo) / Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 3:19pm On Dec 24, 2009
@chuckvyl
Thanx for you post, but i must let you know that most of what you have posted have been taugh to tonye-t on this forum, but cos of the love for filthy lucre he has turned his back on the truth and would rahter remain a slave to satan than accept that tithing as it is preached and practised today is not the will of God.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Joagbaje(m): 7:43am On Dec 25, 2009
As long as there is a high priest there has to be tithing. There were different High priests and different Orders. The first Popular Order was the Order of Melchizedek. The next Order was Aaronic Order etc. if theres a new law there has to be a new high priest . So if the law of Moses has been abolished and the order of levitical priesthood. We should understand there is a new high priest and new law. So we still pay tithe to the new high priest
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 7:58am On Dec 25, 2009
@joagbaje
The only set of people Jesus said could collect our giving on his behalf are the poor[matthew 25:31-40] and the needy and not chalartans parading themseves as men of God. So if you must give tithe at all do it as directed by your "high priest" and not as twisted by ordinary men.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Enigma(m): 10:56am On Dec 25, 2009
Tonye-t:

@ Enigma,

does that make the practise of tithing wrong?

The modern teaching and preaching of "tithing" is certainly wrong. If you check several other threads, I have in the past argued very strongly against it. A very short summary:

1. Tithing is not a compulsory requirement for a Christian
2. Tithing does not have any greater spiritual significance (or attached blessing) than voluntary 'grace' 'giving'.
3. Nevertheless, if a Christian knows the truth (as in 1 & 2 above) and yet chooses to "tithe", that is perfectly fine.
4. However, bear in mind that many so-called pastors and preachers who teach the compulsory "tithing" nonsense are fraudulent and, as the Bible says, their god is their belly.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 11:16am On Dec 25, 2009
Enigma:

The modern teaching and preaching of "tithing" is certainly wrong. If you check several other threads, I have in the past argued very strongly against it. A very short summary:

2. Tithing does not have any greater spiritual significance (or attached blessing) than voluntary 'grace' 'giving'.
3. Nevertheless, if a Christian knows the truth (as in 1 & 2 above) and yet chooses to "tithe", that is perfectly fine.
4. However, bear in mind that many so-called pastors and preachers who teach the compulsory "tithing" nonsense are fraudulent and, as the Bible says, their god is their belly.

Tonye-tithe's god is certainly his belly grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 25, 2009
So we still pay tithe to the new high priest

P[lease where bcan I find these high priest to pay my tithe just once as Abraham did in the order of melchizedek
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Joagbaje(m): 11:30pm On Dec 25, 2009
P[lease where bcan I find these high priest to pay my tithe just once as Abraham did in the order of melchizedek
@chukwudi44
if you have a pastor, you pay your tithe under his ministry.he recieves it onbehalf of the high priest.
Hebrews 7:8
And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by jcross22: 11:59am On Dec 26, 2009
tithe is not part of the gospel , what is the GOSPEL ?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 26, 2009
if you have a pastor, you pay your tithe under his ministry.he recieves it onbehalf of the high priest

please show me where the in the bible the high priest delegated this function to amy pastor?

And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

ol boy ur ignorance of the scripture is pathetic,that verse was talking about jewish high priests receiving tithes on earth.It actually indicates that Jesus receives his in heaven .THis means that the tithe has already being paid for us ,we are free men ,no longer any law
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 1:21pm On Dec 26, 2009
Nice post @Chuckvyl :

These criminal pastors and their cronies just don't get it due to their greed, this topic has been discussed a lot in many threads and they still stick to their guns due to the lack of knowledge among many Christians who get duped continuously with this FAKE doctrine of men (GOMs).

Mr. tithe is probably in Greece now looking for some scrolls to support their scam cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I found this story and thought it would be nice to share, a Church in Vermont willing to sell one of their stained glasses to keep the shelter open and also run the Church instead of turning to fake doctrinal fallacies to raise money from the faithful:

http://www.wftv.com/news/21876055/detail.html
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Joagbaje(m): 3:32pm On Dec 31, 2009
Hebrews 7:8
[And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them
[/quote]

chukwudi44:

ol boy your ignorance of the scripture is pathetic,that verse was talking about jewish high priests receiving tithes on earth.It actually indicates that Jesus receives his in heaven .THis means that the tithe has already being paid for us ,we are free men ,no longer any law

I wont deny the fact that there are 2 schools of thought over this scripture.  Dakes bible has this comment on it.
[i]If men that die receive tithes, how much more should they who live receive them?  That is, if temporary priests have received them, how much more should the eternal priests receive them?[/i]

what ever opinion you chose is not issue with me. but the fact remains that tithing has not been abolished. there is no single reference in the bible to that effect. As  long as theres a highpriest we must give our tithe. The Aaronic order was strictly for the jews, but the order is changed now . He abolished Aaronic or Levitical priesthood but he did not abolish  "priesthood" itself , he only changed the order of the priesthood .Jesus is our highpriest in the order of Melchizedek whose order is characterised by the tithing institution. If theres any emphasis about him it was the tithe.
The levitical priesthood was not perfect. it only pave way for the jews . but the order of Melchizedek was not for Jews. in christ theres no jew or gentile.

Hebrews 7:11-12
    If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron? [12] For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Hebrews 7:15-17
    And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest, [16] Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life. [17] For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Hebrews 7:22-24
    By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament. [23] And they truly were many priests, because they were not suffered to continue by reason of death: [24] But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.

[quote author=chukwudi44 link=topic=307798.msg5188143#msg5188143 date=1261828186]

please show me where the in the bible the high priest delegated this function to amy pastor?

The bible never said that the highpriest must collect the tithes directly but he had the temple official the levites to recieve them direclty. and bring them into the store house.
[i]Neh. 10:38
    And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house. [/i]

Tithing was not meant for the poor. but for the store house. the tithing for the poor was a special one every three years.

So to answer you question the Pastors  are the ones that presides over the tithes in church . The reason is because of the anointing on them to confer blessing.
Numbers 18:8
[i] And the Lord spake unto Aaron, Behold, I also have given thee the charge of mine heave offerings of all the hallowed things of the children of Israel; unto thee have I given them by reason of the anointing, and to thy sons, by an ordinance for ever

Thesame way men gave offerings through the priests but now the pastor functions as the priest over our givings.
The  gifts and monies that were sentto Paul were recieved by him  as burnt offerings because the pastor is the highpriest deputy or representative on the earth.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 3:59pm On Dec 31, 2009
@Joagbaje
It is funny that you quote from Hebrews 7 to support the obsolete tithing doctrine when it is in that same hebrew 7 that tithing is anulled and described as weak uselss and unprofitable, yet you chose to ignore those biblical facts. I would reproduce the chapter here for you and others to see.

Hebrews 7:5-19:

5And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

6But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.

7And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.

8And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

9And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.

10For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

11If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

12For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

13For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.

14For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

15And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

16Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.

17For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

18For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
19For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

Kindly note that it is the commandment to takes tithes mentioned in verse 5 that was changed in verse 12, anulled and described as weak and unprofitable in verse 18. Please make sure you read the whole chapter to get the full context of the scripture. grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Joagbaje(m): 4:17pm On Dec 31, 2009
The law has been abolished and dissanulled. But titheing and offering did not originate under the law. Take is as though the law never came. we tithe as seed of Abraham. if tithing is abolished then we will be wrong to give offerings through men of God too.
Paul refered to what they gave him as a kind of burnt offering.
Philip. 4:18
, "But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God,
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 4:26pm On Dec 31, 2009
Mr Agbaje
Abraham was recorded to have tithed only once in his life time, he did it of his own free will and it was not from his income or his personal assets but from war booty contrary to the type of mandatory tithing being heretically preached in our churches. Also there is NO instruction, injunction or commandment that the jewish people talkless of christians should repeat this abraham's one off practise. Using this excuse of Abraham to justify tithing is very wrong and opportunistic. In that same vein men can start justifying sleeping with their house helps becos Abraham a man of faith did it. Or does that mean we should also start sacrificing rams like muslims becos Abraham did it? Truth be told the fact that abraham was recorded to have done something once is not enough to justify it as doctrine in our churches.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 4:50pm On Dec 31, 2009
Joagbaje:

Tithing was not meant for the poor. but for the store house. the tithing for the poor was a special one every three years.

So to answer you question the Pastors are the ones that presides over the tithes in church . The reason is because of the anointing on them to confer blessing.
Numbers 18:8
[i] And the Lord spake unto Aaron, Behold, I also have given thee the charge of mine heave offerings of all the hallowed things of the children of Israel; unto thee have I given them by reason of the anointing, and to thy sons, by an ordinance for ever

OMG!! shocked shocked shocked joagbaje, where are you from?

You will fit nicely with my man Tonye-t

We make the mistake of believing the tithe kept in the house of God is for the pastor’s use and promoting the work of God (I am yet to understand this part) or maintaining and expanding the church.

In the book of Deuteronomy, tithe was meant to be eaten. The Israelites were never directed to bring their tithes to the temple storehouse (see Deuteronomy 14:28), tithe was first stored in the temple in the time of Hezekiah when he ordered the construction of chambers in the temple. The purpose was to provide safekeeping for surplus tithes and offerings (after everybody has eaten). Levites were subsequently appointed to distribute these items (see 2 Chronicles 31). The tithe kept in the temple storehouse belonged (by law) to the Levite who were temple workers (I also agree that the tenth of Levite tithe for the priest was also stored in the temple chamber). So if we have the Levites today to take the tithe from the church strong room/vault, no problem then. This is based on the assumption that we (Christians) are required (by law) to render our tenths. I guess the way we practice tithing today negates the initial concept of tithe which was to provide for the needy as well as Levites required to work in the temple with no other means of livelihood.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 5:17pm On Dec 31, 2009
Joagbaje:

On the contrary it is tithing for the levites that is every third year, even then the poor were to share in these tithes as well. When would you heretics tire form twisting the scriptures . Also note that is a caveat entitling levites to aprtake of the tithes which that they were not allowed ot own property. This caveat is conviniently ignored by charlatans who claim to be levites today. The relevant passage is posted below:

Deuteronomy 14:28-29:

28At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:

29And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by JeSoul(f): 5:22pm On Dec 31, 2009
Joagbaje:

So to answer you question the Pastors are the ones that presides over the tithes in church . The reason is because of the anointing on them to confer blessing.
Thesame way men gave offerings through the priests but now the pastor functions as the priest over our givings.
The  gifts and monies that were sentto Paul were recieved by him  as burnt offerings because the pastor is the high priest deputy or representative on the earth.

The above just makes me want to cry and laugh at the same time. And at the same time I am angry that this gross falsehood, lie and doctrine of the devil has taken deep roots in so many souls and continues to grow and increase their stronghold of ignorance on the people.

"The pastor is the high priest and deputy and highest representative on earth"

What is this rubbish? it would be funny, if it weren't so sad and infuriating. No wonder the nigerian masses continue to be enslaved by their pastors. Sad, just too sad.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by nuella2(f): 10:01pm On Dec 31, 2009
If you guys wants clarifications,I believe you have enough in this post. There are two reasons why you may remain adamant. Your greed is the first.
.1 . You dont give ,you criticise those of us that do as a cover up for your greed and covetousness. open your hands a little and see the changes in your finances. givers dont talk or criticise. THEY GIVE.
2. You are yet to be born again and recieve the holy spirit and by this you lack the understanding of spiritual things which cannot be understood mentally. i cant blame you for that.
1 Cor. 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Two major reason gives that impression.

1. Your passionate condemnation for the sponsoring the gospel. How on earth will someone tell me to repent because i give?.

2. Your passionate hatred for men of God and lack of respect for the church which is his body.
Mark 9:39-41
But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. [40] For he that is not against us is on our part. [41] For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.

Jude 1:8
Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.

Been born again is partaking of the life of God in christ. Thats what will take away the blindness of your mind.
You cant be part of this glorious body of Christ and ridicle thesame body publicly for whatever reason. Even if the whole church is wrong there are biblical ways of dealing with issues in the body .

Matthew 13:28-30
He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? [29] But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. [30] Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

If youre not born again yet. you can say this prayer with all your heart

Dear lord God , I believe in jesus Christ the son of The living God,
That he died for me and he was raised from the dead for my justification
I invite Jesus into my heart today, as my lord and saviour.
Iconfess with my mouth that Jesus Christ is lord over my Life.
I recieve eternal life by faith.
i declare with my mouth that I am born again.
Thank you lord for saving me.

You can reach me through my box if Youve done this. You will have better understanding. God bless
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:51pm On Dec 31, 2009
If Satan can achieve his aim of preventing folks from paying and giving their tithes and offerings he would have succeeded in limiting the glorious gospel from being preached in all the world.

Those who allow themselves to be used by Satan to discourage giving in the house of the Lord will find out that they are kicking against the prick as Saul of Tarsus found out.

Jesus is building His church and the gates of hell (Mammon) shall not prevail against it whether people join Him to build or destroy, the church is marching on and this gospel shall be preached to the ends of the earth.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 10:55am On Jan 01, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

If Satan can achieve his aim of preventing folks from paying and giving their tithes and offerings he would have succeeded in limiting the glorious gospel from being preached in all the world.
Those who allow themselves to be used by Satan to discourage giving in the house of the Lord will find out that they are kicking against the prick as Saul of Tarsus found out.

Jesus is building His church and the gates of hell (Mammon) shall not prevail against it whether people join Him to build or destroy, the church is marching on and this gospel shall be preached to the ends of the earth.

Oga you are very wrong here, the apostles and the early christians were able to spread christianity all over the middle east, Asia minor, europe and north Africa centuries before the catholic church introduced the tithing scam to christianity in the year 585AD. You cannot use the excuse that the tithe money is being used to "spread" the gospel to justify twisting if the word of God. The gospel would spread with or without tithes. Apostle Paul recorded several times that he worked to support himself whilst spreading the gospel so if you genuinely want to spread the gospel you don't need to engage in fraudulent activities to raise money. That apart most churches that claim they spreading the gospel are not spreading it, all they do is to open branches in already existing christian communities were they can easily collect more tithes and offferings whilst ignoring the pagan and muslim communities who desperately need to experience christ more. Real evangelism is about helping the helpless and the down trodden, and sharing the love of christ with non-believers.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jan 02, 2010
Insert Quote
The law has been abolished and dissanulled. But titheing and offering did not originate under the law. Take is as though the law never came. we tithe as seed of Abraham. if tithing is abolished then we will be wrong to give offerings through men of God too.
Paul refered to what they gave him as a kind of burnt offering.
Philip. 4:18
, "But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God,

why on earth did paul condemn circumcision which originated befor the law ?

The above quote has got nothng to do wit tithes rather with voluntary donations

@oladeegbu

pentecostals who are the most aggressive in collection of tithes has contributed virtually nothing to evangelism as most of their forays are to countries that are already christian centurues ago.They hardly go to non -christian ountries to evangelise.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 12:50pm On Jan 02, 2010
chukwudi44:

@oladeegbu

pentecostals who are the most aggressive in collection of tithes has contributed virtually nothing to evangelism as most of their forays are to countries that are already christian centurues ago.They hardly go to non -christian ountries to evangelise.

The above is very factual they hardly spread the gospel, all they do is to spread their church branches to prosperous countries all over the worl that there is already a sizeable Nigerian population [ready market]to patronize them.

@chukwudi44
Happy newyear my brother.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by PastorAIO: 2:53pm On Jan 02, 2010
Happy New Year everybody!!

Please I am looking for able bodied ministers with zeal for the word of the Lord to go to Saudi Arabia and spread the gospel. To mecca to be precise. It will have to be a covert mission since the Meccan authorities will not allow any religion outside of islam to be preached or practiced in that city. However remember that the lord said that the gospel will be preached to ends of the earth before the coming of the lord. Therefore we must leave no stone unturned.

Any volunteers?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 7:05pm On Jan 02, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Please I am looking for able bodied ministers with zeal for the word of the Lord to go to Saudi Arabia and spread the gospel. To mecca to be precise. It will have to be a covert mission since the Meccan authorities will not allow any religion outside of islam to be preached or practiced in that city. However remember that the lord said that the gospel will be preached to ends of the earth before the coming of the lord. Therefore we must leave no stone unturned.

Any volunteers?

I would like to recommend Pastor Tonye-tithes, Pastor Olaadegbu and Pastor Image123 they have a burning zeal for the word and they would be able to manipulate the oil rich Arabs into parting with 10% of their multi million dollars oil earnings which we can further use to propel the gospel.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by nuella2(f): 6:18am On Jan 03, 2010
@chukwudi44
chukwudi44:

why on earth did paul condemn circumcision which originated befor the law ?

The reason why Paul condemn circumcision which came beforee the law is simple. It is fulfilled in Christ. Same things goes for Blood sacrifice. Anything that come as shaddow of the messiah has been fulfilled. But tithing is forever Your honour to God as your sustainance.Paul never condemn it.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Joagbaje(m): 7:36am On Jan 03, 2010
Thanks , I didnt want to respond because the question is very imature.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Joagbaje(m): 7:39am On Jan 03, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Any volunteers?

I nominate Pastor AIO
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 8:24am On Jan 03, 2010
nuella2:

@chukwudi44
The reason why Paul condemn circumcision which came beforee the law is simple. It is fulfilled in Christ. Same things goes for Blood sacrifice. Anything that come as shaddow of the messiah has been fulfilled. But tithing is forever Your honour to God as your sustainance.Paul never condemn it.

Tithing was condenmed and anulled in Hebrews 7:5-19, note especially verses 11,12,18& 19. When would you guys stop lying to defend this fraudlent practise? Aside lets even assume it wasn't condenmed, is the type of heretic tithes being collected today the same that was instituited in the bible? As it not been twisted to satisfy the greed of those who preach it
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jan 03, 2010

in essence christ only came to abolish d non-lucrative parts of the law,while the lucrative parts like tithes were allowed to continue.

Even if I were to agree that tithe is still valid,could you please explain hw the frequency of tithing was increased from once in three years(deut 14:28,deut 26:12) to the now monthly,and weekly tithing practised today.

If you say today's tithe is in the order of melchizedek,we all know that Abraham only paid tithe to melchizedek once in his life time,either way it was never paid weekly or monthly besides Abraham left no instruction for it to continue.

Also Jesus,was here for 33 yrs and never asked anyone to pay tithes to him in the order of melchizedek.

Paul of tarsus never asked anyone to pay tithes for him as he fended for himself by building tenths.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:39pm On Jan 04, 2010
Daily Manna

Divine Inheritance
Monday, January 4, 2010

TEXT: JOSHUA 21:1-8

"And the children of Israel gave by lot unto the Levites these cities with their suburbs, as the LORD commanded by the hand of Moses" (Joshua 21:cool.

The most venerable and distinguished members of the three Levitical families, on behalf of their tribe, applied for the special provision that had been promised them. They built their claim upon a very good foundation; not their own merits or services, but the divine precept.

As Levites were to have no territorial domain allocated to them like other tribes in Israel, they were to be distributed throughout the land in certain cities appropriated to their use; and these cities were to be surrounded by extensive suburbs. These cities were not only meant to accommodate them, but to place them, as religious teachers, in several parts of the land. For though the typical service of the tabernacle or temple was only in one place, the preaching of the word of God, prayer and praise, were not thus confined.

Each tribe had the benefit of the Levites dwelling among them, to teach them the knowledge of the Lord; thus, no part of the country was left to sit in darkness. In the same vein, God has in His infinite wisdom, planted His children in various parts of the world today. He, therefore, expects us as "light of the world" to, through the gospel, touch and brighten the corners where we are.

The gospel also provides that he who is taught in the word, should communicate to him that teaches, in all good things (Galatians 6:6). We are to free God’s ministers from distracting cares, and to leave them at leisure for the duties of ministry; so that they may be wholly employed therein. The maintenance of ministers is a thing to be taken seriously according to the will of God; those who preach the gospel should live by the gospel, and comfortably too.

Unlike the Levites, we have (in addition to earthly benefits), eternal inheritance which fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for us, having begotten us unto a lively hope through the eternal sacrifice of Christ, our Saviour. What a privilege!

Thought for today: A crowning day awaits us in heaven.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 4:50pm On Jan 04, 2010
KunleOshob:

Tithing was condenmed and anulled in Hebrews 7:5-19, note especially verses 11,12,18& 19. When would you guys stop lying to defend this fraudlent practise? Aside lets even assume it wasn't condenmed, is the type of heretic tithes being collected today the same that was instituited in the bible? As it not been twisted to satisfy the greed of those who preach it

KunleOshod, You are a fake christian for ascerting that tithing was condemned angry cheesy, I have asked you times without number this question - what do you understand by the term "law" and where in the whole bible was it said that[U] TITHING WAS A LAW[/u] and you keep running away each time.

1. Tithing did not begin with the law, it began with Abraham, now i dont care if Abraham gave it once, twice or forever, what i care is that[U] HE (ABRAHAM) GAVE A TENTH OF HIS GAINS TO MELCHISEDEK [/U]

2. Ask me next year, next decade and i'll still say that in the whole of the biblos there was never a place we will find anything as [U] THE LAW OF TITHING[/u] i havent come across it maybe becos i dont read your own biblos.

3. The tithing practised in the mosaic era was not the original tithing, for the original called MA'ASER was a custom in Abraham's time same with Jacob [U]WHERE THE TITHE WAS BROUGHT TO A HIGH PRIEST OR THE PLACE DESIGNED AS GOD'S ALTAR [/U] do you want a scripture for this again?

4. If you're saying tithing was a law thus was abolished by Jesus in Matt.23:23, then lets look at that passsage again, recall he (Jesus) said we should practise faithfulness, we should practise justice, we should practise mercy and also practise tithing, therefore anyone saying tithing is a law should also say the latters are laws too. angry cheesy

KunleOshod or whatever you call yourself angry cheesy cheesy

what would you make with this passage

1. "And Jesus said to them - practise mercy, practise justice, practise faithfulness and also do not neglect to practise tithing " (American english paraphrased version
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 5:01pm On Jan 04, 2010
Enigma:

1. Can you prove it! else save your breath

Enigma:

2. Permit me to say that you're dead wrong, men how do christians here read there own biblos sef, are you saying the blessings of opening the floodgates of heaven was written by a daft God? or are you saying the blessings Melchisedek poured on the Patriach Father was in vain, for christ sake, its high time we all leave this biase mindset and see the realities of God's blessings from His word alone

Prov 3:
9 - Honor the Lord with your capital and sufficiency [from righteous labors] and with the firstfruits of all your income;
10 - So shall your storage places be filled with plenty, and your vats shall be overflowing with new wine
AMP

For Christ sake The Lord's Honor should not be robbed him, na wa o! NL xtians. Let me save my phalanges from the other points abeg. angry angry angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (41) (Reply)

Chima Ikwunado: Apostle Chibuzor Chinyere Gifts Mini Estate Apartment To Wife / Lizzy Johnson Suleman: "They Were Photoshopped" Apostle Wife On Stephanie Oboto / Prophet S.K. Abiara’s 8 Children In Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.