Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,000 members, 7,849,024 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 01:32 PM

Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? - Religion (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? (43558 Views)

Poll: Does the New Testament require us to tithe?

Yes: 38% (28 votes)
No: 61% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Says God Can Not Change Your Story (photo) / Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:56pm On Jan 07, 2010
@dupsygal,

You can only do so much in trying to change my people's poverty mentality. Human nature is totally different from the principles practiced in the kingdom of God. The way up is down, to harvest is to sow and to receive is to give. Folks will find this difficult to comprehend just as those who are used to walking by sight will find it difficult to adjust to the principle of walking by faith.

Jesus said it is better to give than to receive. If you feed a poor man with fish you may succeed in feeding him for a day but if you use the Kingdom of God's priniciples and teach the poor man to fish you will end up feeding him and others for a lifetime. Some folks would rather depend on handouts than to become suppliers.

Paul also addressed this issue in Galatians 6:6 as Tom Brown has pointed out, that we have to provide for our ministers who preach the gospel. I wonder what other practice that would suffice than the practice of tithes and offering that was already in place.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jan 07, 2010
Some people think this is a new issue. It is as old as the second century when more and more Gentiles were being converted. The early Jewish believers had no problem with tithing since they had done it under the Law and gave it to the priests. They simply gave their tithe to the elders of the church and did by love. However, as the church became less Jewish this issue came up to the church fathers. They answered the question of tithing with Matthew 23:23

This is a lie from the very it of hell,I am very conversant with the writngs of the church fathers of the second century as none of them ever taught tithing in their writings.

The statement in matt 23"23 u peole keep quoting ,was made under the dispensation of the law,the law came to an end after the death of Jesus and not before it.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 6:39pm On Jan 07, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

@dupsygal,

You can only do so much in trying to change my people's poverty mentality. Human nature is totally different from the principles practiced in the kingdom of God. The way up is down, to harvest is to sow and to receive is to give. Folks will find this difficult to comprehend just as those who are used to walking by sight will find it difficult to adjust to the principle of walking by faith.

Jesus said it is better to give than to receive. If you feed a poor man with fish you may succeed in feeding him for a day but if you use the Kingdom of God's priniciples and teach the poor man to fish you will end up feeding him and others for a lifetime. Some folks would rather depend on handouts than to become suppliers.

Paul also addressed this issue in Galatians 6:6 as Tom Brown has pointed out, that we have to provide for our ministers who preach the gospel. I wonder what other practice that would suffice than the practice of tithes and offering that was already in place.

How does not giving 10% to some "pastor" equate "poverty mentality"?

Where is it written that you must "sow a seed" with just money?

Where is it written that "giving" should be money only?

Where is it written that farm hands, craftsmen, etc paid 10% tithe?

Why can't you support "Pastors, MOG, etc" with offering abi they demand too much?

Can't you get a real job instead of twisting the Bible for "filthy lucre"?

Need me to keep going? Get a grip man!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:37pm On Jan 07, 2010
@ogajim,

God does not force anyone to do anything. It is your choice either you serve Him or not. Tithing was obligatory according to the Hebrew Law and it is worthwhile to note that as long as tithing prevailed, the Hebrew nation prospered collectively and individually, in fact, tithing is the best kept prosperity secret in existence. It is your choice whether you practice it or not, God will not force it on you.

Seedtime and harvest Gen. 8:22 You will discover that seedtime is tithing time. The eternal law of sowing and reaping can be seen in Gal.6:7 verse 6 explains additional reason why you should tithe.

Even the IRS in civilized countries like the U.K. allows tax credit for up to 50% of one's adjusted gross income, given to religious and charitable enterprises. This means that Jesus and the IRS support your giving. Jesus said "Give unto Caesar that which belongs to Caesar (i.e. tax) and give to God that which is God's (tithes and offerings)." I wonder why folks who call themselves Christians will be the ones to kick against this old secret that works yet has been virtually forgotten.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 7:52pm On Jan 07, 2010
Mr. Adegbu,

You're coming off as some kind of Robot because you refused to answer the questions raised but rather go on some discredited logic.

Galatians 1:6-10

Trust God only is all I got for you now since you're not in a position to debate.

Shalom.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by aletheia(m): 8:25pm On Jan 07, 2010
I agree with alot of what you write but I must disagree on these few points:
OLAADEGBU:

. . .it is worthwhile to note that as long as tithing prevailed, the Hebrew nation prospered collectively and individually, in fact, tithing is the best kept prosperity secret in existence.
Please supply the chapters and verses from the scriptures that support this assertion. Perhaps you should consider: Joshua 1:8 and Psalm 1

OLAADEGBU:

Seedtime and harvest Gen. 8:22  You will discover that seedtime is tithing time.  The eternal law of sowing and reaping can be seen in Gal.6:7 verse 6 explains additional reason why you should tithe.
Context is everything.
Gen 8:22
       While the earth remains,
Seedtime and harvest,
Cold and heat,
Winter and summer,
And day and night
Shall not cease.

Where does it say that seedtime is tithing time? What about cold and heat? Winter and summer? Day and night? God here is telling man that the seasons, the yearly cycles of the earth will continue as long as the earth endures.

You directed our attention to Galatians 6. Again context is important.
Gal 6:6-8  Let him who is taught the word share in all good things with him who teaches. Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.
Does verse 6 mention tithes? Looking at verse 8, are you implying that paying tithes is sowing to the Spirit and thus those who pay tithes will reap everlasting life?
How about this:
Rom 8:13  For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

OLAADEGBU:

Even the IRS in civilized countries like the U.K. allows tax credit for up to 50% of one's adjusted gross income, given to religious and charitable enterprises.  This means that Jesus and the IRS support your giving.  Jesus said "Give unto Caesar that which belongs to Caesar (i.e. tax) and give to God that which is God's (tithes and offerings)."  I wonder why folks who call themselves Christians will be the ones to kick against this old secret that works yet has been virtually forgotten.    
The incident you refer to is recorded in
Mat 22:19-21  "Show Me the tax money." So they brought Him a denarius.  And He said to them, “Whose image and inscription is this?”  They said to Him, “Caesar’s.” And He said to them, “Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”
The coin shown to Jesus was a denarius on which was an inscription proclaiming Caesar as Divine and therefore deserving of worship. But only God is worthy of worship, so in essence Jesus is saying: To Caesar his tax but to God, worship. How does your statement: give to God that which is God's (tithes and offerings), compare to:
Psa 40:6  
        Sacrifice and offering You did not desire;
My ears You have opened.
Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require.

And
1Sa 15:22  
So Samuel said:  
“Has the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices,
As in obeying the voice of the LORD?
Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice,
And to heed than the fat of rams.

What version of the bible has tithes and offerings in parentheses in Matthew 22?

Rev 22:18-19  For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tudor6(f): 7:51am On Jan 08, 2010
Tonye-t:

And to you Pastor AIO,

i think i'll have more of your time by morrow, so you'll not be parading this place with fake and daft notions. until then i say Happy 2010 embarassed embarassed

WHERE IS TONYE-T To COME AND DEFEND HIS RUBBISH LIES?

funny how his FRAUD was exposed and he started attacking pastor's personality. . .

Tonye-t WHERE ARE YOU? You don run?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 10:46am On Jan 08, 2010
Zikkyy:

Tonye-t
Compulsory tithing is not new testatmental and not for christians.

OK! But atleast tithing is new testamental and for christians right? wink
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 10:49am On Jan 08, 2010
Zikkyy:

Tonye-t
Tithing for christians is based on freewill, its your choice and not a requirement from GOD

Simply proof it with scriptures! embarassed
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 10:53am On Jan 08, 2010
Zikkyy:

Tonye-t
If your rendering a tenth of your income to your church was with a genuine belief that you are promoting the work of God, you can be blessed for it (cos you were sincere, its the heart that matters), its no different from the man that decide to give his 10% to the window or orphan next door. Both intentions are Godly.

No!No! No!, they both mean different things, pls be kind to read this and correct me where possible

Tithe – can it be substituted for freewill offering?

Often atimes I hear people talk of choosing rather to give to the poor than give the church their due benevolence. Let’s see how the scriptures answer this one,

Matt 26:6-13

6 While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper,
7 a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.
8 When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. "Why this waste?" they asked. ---------This is where folks like Kunle, Zikkyy and ttalks stand

9 "This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor." -----Again this is where Kunle,Zikky and ttalks stands

10 Aware of this, Jesus said to them, "Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. -----This is where I stand

11 The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me.

With this passages I will class the so called-righteous Christians into verse 9,for they’ll rather chose to give to the poor and widows their offerings than give to the church, howbeit Jesus’ reply to them in verse 10 will forever remain supreme.

Therefore let us give to God what is due God (Matt. 22:21), give to Caesar (beggars, poor, widows) what belong to them. In the Old Testament administrative tithing, Moses’ commanded them to set aside the tithes in the 3rd year and give specifically unto the strangers, widows and orphans. Simple!.

An error it will be to try substituting the one for the other. Let freewill offering be given as freewill offering, and tithe be given as tithe, they have different names thus serve different purposes
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by dupsygal: 10:56am On Jan 08, 2010
Tudór:

funny how his FRAUD was exposed and he started attacking pastor's personality. . .

Tudor, are u here to contribute to the discussion or jst interested in the reply Pastor has to give?

Anyways, from all i ve read in this forum, i will suggest we all do according to our personal convictions, if u are comfortable with tithing, go ahead and tithe, if u are not, don't, until u receive it in your spirit to cos if u give tithes without being convinced or even know the reason y u do it, then i must say u are wasting that income atlst the blessing attached to it (it will just be like a man left in a darkroom and does not knw that he is to look for the door to be free). smiley

so lets do as we think best rather than draggin this topic endlessly cos i really don't see a big deal in the topic!!! cheesy

this is my last say in this thread, if u bother to reply me, u will definitely not get a reply cos i am all done here, tkia guys and hope u find the end to ds thread real soonnnnnnnnnnn lipsrsealed
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 11:02am On Jan 08, 2010
dupsygal:

Anyways, from all i ve read in this forum, i will suggest we all do according to our personal convictions, if u are comfortable with tithing, go ahead and tithe, if u are not, don't, until u receive it in your spirit to cos if u give tithes without being convinced or even know the reason y u do it, then i must say u are wasting that income atlst the blessing attached to it (it will just be like a man left in a darkroom and does not knw that he is to look for the door to be free). smiley

Another good piece kiss kiss, interesting!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 11:06am On Jan 08, 2010
Zikkyy:

The issue is not whether tithing can be found in the bible, for me its all about how you interprete and implement that practice for modern christians. I consider it an issue when it is interpreted to serve the purpose of a particular group at the expense of others. What i see is a lot of people accepting this because it aligns with their personal goals. But i think it will be wrong to pretend there is no problem.

Just how will you react to the offering they collect from their sheep? *much ado about nothing*
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 11:08am On Jan 08, 2010
Tudór:

Mr.Tudor nice to have your @#$!^&*@((&#())*&^ around grin grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 11:10am On Jan 08, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

Tithing and offering may not be right for those who are perishing to pay or give because the sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to Him.

Exactly!!!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 11:16am On Jan 08, 2010
Joagbaje:

We are not complaining. . Ask yourself if everyone behave like you, will the gospel ever reach africa?.While some of you are still arguing over Ten percent to God others are giving all for the gospel. I don't give ten percent as tithe , I feel it's too small I give twenty or sometimes thirty percent. The inventor of Caterpiller machines attributed his success to his tithting. He started with 10% and later 20% before he died he was giving 90%! and only kept 10% for him self and this 10% was in billions! .These are men that were involved in sponsoring bibles all over the world. Let the the poor men be busy attacking the churches ,spend your whole day in business centres typing rubish . Campaingning for other poor people. There's no amount of money you give a poor man that will suffice. It is the gospel that will help the poor and THE POOR MUST GIVE TO GET OUT OF POVERTY!. Anybody busy doing something will not have time to criticise those who are busy.

God, this guy was born in Heaven cheesy cheesy cheesy . wonderful! shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 1:14pm On Jan 08, 2010
Tonye-t:

OK! But atleast tithing is new testamental and for christians right? wink

Wrong.

Tonye-t:

Simply proof it with scriptures! embarassed

What do you want me to prove? that you chose to lock yourself into a promise to handover 10% of monthly income to your pastor? I dont understand you!! Its not my business what you do with your money.

Tonye-t:

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]No!No! No!, they both mean different things, pls be kind to read this and correct me where possible

I have no intention of correcting you Tonye-t. I am only here to stop you from spreading your false/evil beliefs on tithing.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 1:40pm On Jan 08, 2010
Tonye-t:

Therefore let us give to God what is due God (Matt. 22:21), give to Caesar (beggars, poor, widows) what belong to them. In the Old Testament administrative tithing, Moses’ commanded them to set aside the tithes in the 3rd year and give specifically unto the strangers, widows and orphans. Simple!.

Look at this bare faced liar. Who told you that the explanation you gave about matthew 22:21 is right?  angry

You lie so much to justify ur horrible beliefs.

Mat 22:17-21
(17)  Tell us then what You think about this: Is it lawful to pay tribute [levied on individuals and to be paid yearly] to Caesar or not?
(18)  But Jesus, aware of their malicious plot, asked, Why do you put Me to the test and try to entrap Me, you pretenders (hypocrites)?
(19)  Show me the money used for the tribute. And they brought Him a denarius.
(20)  And Jesus said to them, Whose likeness and title are these?
(21)  They said, Caesar's. Then He said to them, Pay therefore to Caesar the things that are due to Caesar, and pay to God the things that are due to God.

Giving unto caeser what is his is used to refer(in our times) to making sure we fulfil our obligations to those who are in authority(government,employers, etc) and not be found wanting in areas such as[b] taxes, obedience to the law and the rule of law, making sure we are working when we ought to be working,etc[/b]
Giving unto God what is his is simply refering to the simplest of all things; giving of our lives to him(believing in him,worshiping him,trusting in him,obeying his word,etc).
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:50pm On Jan 08, 2010
This is a Taxing Time
by Henry Morris III, D.Min.

Pardon the pun.  The annual assessment of taxes by our government(s), although relatively recently established in our country, has long been a somewhat disagreeable custom of civilization.  Even our Lord Jesus found the subject important enough to comment on when He said: "Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's" (Matthew 22:21).

Tribute Money Is NOT Ours!

Now don't get mad at me.  Jesus said that (Matthew 22:21).  In fact, the whole concept of "tribute" was initiated by God Himself in the tithe.  One tenth of the "firstfruits," God said, belonged to Him! (Malachi 3:8-10; I Corinthians 16:2; etc.).  The Creator God, of course, is the ultimate Owner of all things (Psalm 50:7-12; etc.).  We are to be His "stewards" (Luke 12:42; I Corinthians 4:2; etc.) and have been delegated the responsibility to "occupy" until He comes back (Luke 19:13; Matthew 25:14; etc.).  Every "good" thing that we have comes from God (James 1:17).  That certainly should include our financial resources.

Here's the principle to remember: although I have "use" of the money, I also have certain "obligations" for the money.  I may have "freedom" to do with the money whatever I wish, but I may suffer consequences and loss of blessings if I choose to ignore the responsibilities to "pay" my "tribute to whom tribute is due" (Romans 13:7).

Investment Choices Are Ours to Make

Ah, but we do have freedom to "invest."  God rewarded those who made wise investments with the "pounds" and "talents" they received from Him (Matthew 25; Luke 19).  The "tithe" belongs to the Lord—and that should be deposited in the Bible-preaching church in which we fellowship. Our "gifts" and "offerings" may be deposited in Kingdom "investments" that will reap eternal "dividends" in the ages to come.  What are you investing in?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by aletheia(m): 8:13pm On Jan 08, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

This is a Taxing Time
One tenth of the "firstfruits,"
With all due respect sir; the hardest lie to detect is that which is mixed with some truth. While some of what you wrote above is true, I find the above quote to be a little(?) untruth smuggled into the midst.
A concordance search of the word "firstfruits" showed 30 verses from both Old and New Testaments where the word occurs. In not one of them did I find "one tenth of the firstfruits". The Old Testament makes a clear distinction between firstfruits and tithes (please see Neh 14:22 as an example). What was to be done to the firstfruits was clearly prescribed and different from the use of the tithes.
Does Malachi 3:8-10 mention firstfruits? And here is what 1 Cor 16:2 says: On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.
Has first day now become firstfruits?

2Ti 2:15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. (NIV)
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by aletheia(m): 8:19pm On Jan 08, 2010
^^^Sorry for the typo error: the reference is Neh 12:44
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:03am On Jan 09, 2010
Firstfruits
by Henry Morris, Ph.D.

"Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase" (Proverbs 3:9).

There are seven New Testament references to "firstfruits," all of which are metaphorical applications of the Old Testament commandment to offer the firstfruits of one's increase to the Lord.  We now have to give our own firstfruits to the government in the form of "withheld" amounts from our wages.  It is still good, nonetheless, to honour the Lord with the "firstfruits" equivalent of our increase, regardless of the government.

The New Testament references are all beautiful spiritual applications of this concept.  At His resurrection, Christ Himself has "become the firstfruits of them that slept" (I Corinthians 15:20).  When we receive Christ, we receive our eternal salvation first of all in terms of "the firstfruits of the Spirit" (Romans 8:23).  Furthermore, we ourselves are, to Him, a sort of firstfruits pledge of future growth.  "Of His own will begat He us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures" (James 1:18).

This thought is also applied to the first converts of a new mission field.  Paul speaks of "the firstfruits of Asia" (the western part of Asia Minor) and "the firstfruits of Achaia" (southern Greece) in Romans 16:5 and I Corinthians 16:15, respectively.  He also speaks of believing Jews as having preceded Gentiles into the kingdom as a holy firstfruit (Romans 11:16) to the Lord.

The last of the New Testament references to firstfruits relates to the 144,000 Israelite witnesses in the coming great tribulation.  "These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb" (Revelation 14:4).  Beautiful and pointed though these metaphors may be, however, they in no wise lessen our responsibility to honour God with our own firstfruits. HMM
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:35am On Jan 09, 2010
Honour and Tribute
by Henry Morris III, D.Min.

Every culture in the world understands their civil responsibility to those in higher authority.  What has escaped most people—even many Christians, is that the HIGHEST authority is the Creator and Owner of all things.  That is why Jesus Christ told us to do both: give to "Caesar" what belonged to him and to God what belonged to Him.

God deserves, and we are responsible to give HONOUR to Him.

Several forms of "honour" are spoken of in the Scriptures: trust, love, obedience, etc., but we must not neglect to "honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase" (Proverbs 3:9).  It is this PERSONAL "rendering" that seems to bring the most challenging pain—both to those who only render "taxes" to the government and to those who should render "tribute" to God.

God is clear about "rendering" a portion of our wealth to Him.

The New Testament is very specific that "every one of" us (I Corinthians 16:2), indeed, "every man according as he purposeth in his heart" (II Corinthians 9:7) is to give of his resources to our Lord.  We are further told that it is to be "as God hath prospered him" (I Corinthians 16:2) and that it be "out of that which ye have" (II Corinthians 8:11).  In more modern terms, we are to give proportionately (a percentage) of what we earn or possess.  The only percentage tribute ever taught in Scripture is the tithe—10% of our "increase."

What's the Christian to do?

While not specifically demanded of the Christian, many view the tithe as a starting place for our thinking.  We have both the obligation to give and the opportunity to give more.  We are to give cheerfully (Acts 20:35; II Corinthians 9:7), lovingly (John 3:16; II Corinthians 8:8-9), expectantly (Luke 6:38 and II Corinthians 9:10-11), and sacrificially (Mark 12:41-44 and Mark 14:3-9).  Our gifts should be directed to God-glorifying and Bible-honouring churches and ministries.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:56am On Jan 09, 2010
The First Day of the Week
by Henry Morris, Ph.D.

"And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight" (Acts 20:7).

Given the fact that everything about God's Word was specifically inspired by its Author, it is appropriate that this important phrase, "the first day of the week," occurs exactly eight times in the Bible.  The first six of these (Matthew 28:1; Mark 16:2,9; Luke 24:1; John 20:1,19) all stress the fact that it was on this day that the greatest event in history (since the creation) had taken place.  The creation of the universe had taken place on the first day of the week, and now its Creator had conquered sin and death itself on that day.  In the Bible, of course, the number "seven" represents completeness, so "eight" represents a new beginning--a new creation, a resurrection.

The last two references tell us just how the early Christians remembered this day.  Our text verse tells us this was a day on which the disciples assembled together, had a preaching service, and then "broke bread."  This was not a special assembly called just for Paul, for he had already been waiting there six days (see previous verse).  This was about 25 years after the resurrection itself and the Jewish believers were evidently still observing the seventh day as a rest day, but then they also observed the first day of the week as the time to commemorate the Lord's death in "breaking of bread" to celebrate His resurrection, and especially to hear the preaching of His Word.  The final reference tells us one other vital thing they did: "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him" (I Corinthians 16:2).  The first day of the week should always be a time of remembering Him in these joyful ways, for He is our living Lord and Saviour. HMM
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by aletheia(m): 11:10am On Jan 09, 2010
^^^You still have not addressed:
1. Where you got the phrase: "one tenth of the firstfruits". Where is it in the scripture?
2. Are firstfruits equivalent to tithes? Because it seems to me that you are implying this. Where is the scripture to support this?
I am not against giving to the work of the LORD. What I am against is men twisting the scriptures for their own selfish gain. Here is an example:
Mar 7:8-13 You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men." And he said to them, "You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of God in order to establish your tradition! For Moses said, 'Honor your father and your mother'; and, 'Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.' But you say, 'If a man tells his father or his mother, "Whatever you would have gained from me is Corban"' (that is, given to God)--then you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or mother, thus making void the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And many such things you do."
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:28pm On Jan 09, 2010
aletheia:

^^^You still have not addressed:
1. Where you got the phrase: "one tenth of the firstfruits". Where is it in the scripture?
2. Are firstfruits equivalent to tithes? Because it seems to me that you are implying this. Where is the scripture to support this?
I am not against giving to the work of the LORD. What I am against is men twisting the scriptures for their own selfish gain. Here is an example:
Mar 7:8-13 You leave the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men." And he said to them, "You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of God in order to establish your tradition! For Moses said, 'Honor your father and your mother'; and, 'Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.' But you say, 'If a man tells his father or his mother, "Whatever you would have gained from me is Corban"' (that is, given to God)--then you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or mother, thus making void the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And many such things you do."

If you claim to have the Spirit of God and you are obedient to His leading then allow Him to illuminate you regarding the matter of tithes and offering. You do not have to take what I say and I am not obliged to argue with you. What is important is for you to be open to God and allow Him to open your eyes.

I have used different means to explain what I understand about the obligation of true Christians in the practice of tithes. I have posted articles of qualified and seasoned theologians, the use of humour as in cartoons, and testimonies and quotes from receipients. If none of these efforts mean anything to you then fair enough, you are entitled to your own opinion and I have no problem with that. Does it occur to you and your folks that accuse others of twisting the scriptures that you could be referring to yourselves? I don't have to agree with you what is important is that we all agree with the Word of God and the Spirit of God. This is what Adrian Roger had to say when it comes to herd mentality:

"It is better to be divided in truth than to be united in error, it is better to speak truth that hurts and then heals than to speak a lie; it is better to be hated for telling the truth than to be loved for telling a lie; it is better to stand alone with truth than to be wrong with the multitude . . . The religion of today is 'get-along-ism.' It is time for men and women of God to stand,[even] if they have to stand alone."

A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 6:29pm On Jan 09, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

If you claim to have the Spirit of God and you are obedient to His leading then allow Him to illuminate you regarding the matter of tithes and offering. You do not have to take what I say and I am not obliged to argue with you. What is important is for you to be open to God and allow Him to open your eyes.

Bros i have the holy spirit within me and it is the holy spirit that revealed to me that tithing as is being preached and practised especially by the pentecostal movement is a distortion of scripture and a fraud on christians. The holy spirit further revealed to me that tithes paid by peoiple under the delusion being preached by the "church" today is not recognized by God as it was Obtain and paid by false pretence a.k.a 419 and God can not be fooled as he sees our hearts. That apart he as NO needof our money as human hands can not serve his needs.

Acts 17:24-25:

24 “He is the God who made the world and everything in it. Since he is Lord of heaven and earth, he doesn’t live in man-made temples, 25 and human hands can’t serve his needs—for he has no needs. He himself gives life and breath to everything, and he satisfies every need.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by PastorAIO: 7:34pm On Jan 09, 2010
Don't you just love the arrogance of religious ITK-ism.

At the start of the last millennium there was a christian theologian called Abelard who had this to say:
How, then, is the faith of any people, however false, to be refuted, though it may have arrived at such a pitch of blindness as to confess some idol to be the creator both of heaven and fo earth? As, according to your own admission you cannot reason upon matters of faith, you have no right to attack others upon a matter with regard to which you think you ought yourself to be unassailed.

For more on Abelard:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01036b.htm

Interesting life he led too, he got castrated because though he was a monk he had his wicked way with a young lady called Heloise who was the most beautiful woman in Europe at the time. Her uncle thought since he was a monk it would be okay to entrust her to his care. lol!

Theirs was one of the most famous loves in the history of Europe though, The Romeo and Juliet of their time.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by aletheia(m): 8:18pm On Jan 09, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

I have used different means to explain what I understand about the obligation of true Christians in the practice of tithes. I have posted articles of qualified and seasoned theologians, the use of humour as in cartoons, and testimonies and quotes from receipients. If none of these efforts mean anything to you then fair enough, you are entitled to your own opinion and I have no problem with that. Does it occur to you and your folks that accuse others of twisting the scriptures that you could be referring to yourselves? I don't have to agree with you what is important is that we all agree with the Word of God and the Spirit of God. This is what Adrian Roger had to say when it comes to herd mentality:

"It is better to be divided in truth than to be united in error, it is better to speak truth that hurts and then heals than to speak a lie; it is better to be hated for telling the truth than to be loved for telling a lie; it is better to stand alone with truth than to be wrong with the multitude . . . The religion of today is 'get-along-ism.' It is time for men and women of God to stand,[even] if they have to stand alone."

A word is enough for the wise.
You sir, refuse to stand still and address issues that you yourself raised.
1. Again I ask you sir, where is the scripture that says "one tenth of firstfruits" Your words---not mine.
2. Qualified and seasoned theologians means nada:

Act 17:11
These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.

1Jn 2:26-27
These things I have written to you concerning those who try to deceive you. But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

Even Peter was rebuked by Paul when he sort to compromise the purity of the gospel and detract from the completed work of Jesus. (See Galatians 2).

Gal 2:16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.

"Tithes" as currently preached and practiced are a distortion of the scriptures and belong to the works of the law. Even a cursory reading of Acts will reveal to you that tithes were not a requirement for the disciples. One can give to the gospel without tithing. The disciples exhibited charity without resorting to the 'doctrine of tithes'. Do read Acts 15:1-29 and you will see the heart of the controversy in Acts 15:5:
But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses. Please notice the bolded part, tithing belongs to the law of Moses.

I leave you with your own words, the import of which you seem to have missed.
OLAADEGBU:

While not specifically demanded of the Christian, many view the tithe as a starting place for our thinking.  We have both the obligation to give and the opportunity to give more.  We are to give cheerfully (Acts 20:35; II Corinthians 9:7), lovingly (John 3:16; II Corinthians 8:8-9), expectantly (Luke 6:38 and II Corinthians 9:10-11), and sacrificially (Mark 12:41-44 and Mark 14:3-9).  Our gifts should be directed to God-glorifying and Bible-honouring churches and ministries.
I believe none of the scriptures you quoted above talks about tithes.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:41pm On Jan 09, 2010
aletheia:

I believe none of the scriptures you quoted above talks about tithes.

Weighty Matters

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." (Matthew 23:23)

This particular "woe" among the eight in Matthew 23 is often only partially proclaimed.  Usually, sermons are delivered about the "judgment, mercy, and faith" that are indeed the "weightier matters of the law"--but Christ’s somewhat offhand remark on the responsibility to tithe is either ignored or downplayed.

Surely the legalistic and public display of "obedience" to the law is condemned by Jesus.  He rebuked these same men for their desire to show their spirituality.  "Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men" (Matthew 6:2).  But Jesus also said in our text that they "ought . . . to have done" the tithing of their wealth.

The condemnation is that this kind of hypocrite seeks only his name in a bulletin, or a plaque on a wall, or a brick in a walkway, or a wing in a hospital or museum, and is indifferent to the quiet, background work of ministry that doles out judgment, mercy, and faith.

Jesus measures "weightier matters" this way: "I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: unclothed, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me" (Matthew 25:35-36).  "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me" (Matthew 25:40).

If we wish to honour and please our Lord, He expects us to do both: faithful tithes and offerings, and judgment, mercy, and faith. HMM III
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:53pm On Jan 09, 2010
Examples of those who paid tithes in the Bible and see whether we have principles to follow and appreciate.

Abraham (Genesis 14:20; Heb.7:1-11)

Jacob (Gen.28:22)

Levi in Abraham (Heb.7:9)

Hezekiah and Israel (2 Chronicles 31)

Hypocrites (Matthew 23:23; Luke 11:42; 18:12)

Christians (1 Corinthians 9:7-14; 16:2; 2 Cor. 8:1-15; Gal. 6:6; 1 Tim. 5:17-18; Heb.7)

There is no where in the Bible that mentions a substitute programme for tithing in the New Testament.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 1:42am On Jan 10, 2010
Olaadegbu, the verses u put for Christians does not talk about tithes. Please stop lying to prove your points. We've been through this countless number of times

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (41) (Reply)

Human Robotic School Built In Ukraine By A Nigeria Pastor & Others (Photos) / Letter To Daddy Freeze — From A 16-Year-Old Boy / The Most Powerful Spiritualist/herbalist In Nigeria.....+234867395768

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.