Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,417 members, 7,861,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:44 AM

Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? - Religion (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? (43628 Views)

Poll: Does the New Testament require us to tithe?

Yes: 38% (28 votes)
No: 61% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Says God Can Not Change Your Story (photo) / Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 9:21am On Jan 10, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

Surely the legalistic and public display of "obedience" to the law is condemned by Jesus. He rebuked these same men for their desire to show their spirituality. "Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men" (Matthew 6:2). But Jesus also said in our text that they "ought . . . to have done" the tithing of their wealth.

Olaadegbu why are you like this I thought you were a christian embarassed I feel embarrassed that a "christian" would willfully and routinely twist the scripture to justify an obvious fraud going on in the church today which all true christians should rise up and condenm. In the highlighted passage above when Jesus was talking of tithes he mentioned mint and cumin which is tithing from herbs and not the wealth of tither as you wrongly and hypocritically tried to convey in your write up. This conforms with biblically tithing instructed to the israelites which should be strictly agricultural produce. Tithing from wealth or money is a man made invention which was smuggled into christianity by the catholic church in the year 585AD several centuries after christianity was established
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 9:29am On Jan 10, 2010
ttalks:

Olaadegbu, the verses u put for Christians does not talk about tithes. Please stop lying to prove your points. We've been through this countless number of times

Evidently going by the fact that he has to resort to lies o prove his point, he knows deep down inside of him that tithing is not new testmental or directed to christians as there are no scriptures to support it.

OLAADEGBU:

There is no where in the Bible that mentions a substitute programme for tithing in the New Testament.

But there is a place in the new testament which anulls the practise in it's entirerity and describes it as weak and useless [Hebrews 7: 12 &18], so why are you still hanging on to a practise the bible describes as useless?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by aletheia(m): 4:26pm On Jan 10, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

This particular "woe" among the eight in Matthew 23 is often only partially proclaimed.  Usually, sermons are delivered about the "judgment, mercy, and faith" that are indeed the "weightier matters of the law"--but Christ’s somewhat offhand remark on the responsibility to tithe is either ignored or downplayed.

Surely the legalistic and public display of "obedience" to the law is condemned by Jesus.  He rebuked these same men for their desire to show their spirituality.  "Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men" (Matthew 6:2).  But Jesus also said in our text that they "ought . . . to have done" the tithing of their wealth.

The condemnation is that this kind of hypocrite seeks only his name in a bulletin, or a plaque on a wall, or a brick in a walkway, or a wing in a hospital or museum, and is indifferent to the quiet, background work of ministry that doles out judgment, mercy, and faith.

Jesus measures "weightier matters" this way: "I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: unclothed, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me" (Matthew 25:35-36).  "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me" (Matthew 25:40).

If we wish to honour and please our Lord, He expects us to do both: faithful tithes and offerings, and judgment, mercy, and faith. HMM III

The controversy here is not showing mercy and charity to fellow believers but the legalistic paying of tithes which is today proclaimed by such as you. Your comments lead me to suspect that you believe that if one does not pay tithes then one is not of the body of Christ! You even neglect to mention that the scriptures clearly show that tithes have nothing whatsoever to do with money.
Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Do you notice that Jesus was talking to those under the law, required to keep all the 600+ requirements of the law of Moses---whether the weightier matters or the "little" matter of tithing garden herbs. And these ones considered themselves righteous for they kept the law.
Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

But what does the scripture say about the law:
Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Since you insist on living under the law of Moses in regard to tithes (albeit misapplied and distorted):
Jas 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
But as Paul writes: And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

And please, you have been strangely silent on which scripture says: "öne tenth of firstfruits". I earnestly await your reply.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Ovamboland(m): 9:56am On Jan 11, 2010
See below wikipedia's position on tithing practice

Judaism and Christianity

Traditional Jewish law and practice has included various forms of tithing since ancient times. Universally, Orthodox Jews practice ma'aser kesafim (tithing 10% of their income to charity) and take challah. In modern Israel, Jews continue to follow the laws of agricultural tithing, e.g., terumah, ma'aser rishon, terumat ma'aser, and ma'aser sheni. In Christianity, some interpretations of Biblical teachings conclude that although tithing was practiced extensively in the Old Testament, it was never practiced or taught within the first-century Church. Instead the New Testament scriptures are seen as teaching the concept of "freewill offerings" as a means of supporting the church: 1 Corinthians 16:2, 2 Corinthians 9:7. Also, some of the earliest groups sold everything they had and held the proceeds in common to be used for the furtherance of the Gospel: Acts 2:44-47, Acts 4:34-35. Further, Acts 5:1-20 contains the account of a man and wife who were living in one of these groups. They sold a piece of property and donated only part of the selling price to the church but claimed to have given the whole amount and immediately 'fell down and died' when confronted by the apostle Peter over their dishonesty.

Tithes were mentioned in councils at Tours in 567 and at Mâcon in 585. They were formally recognized under Pope Adrian I in 787.

there it is, tithing was not a recognised practice in Christianity until AD787 , about 700 years after the last Apostle must have died, sorry all those seeing revelation and receiving word of knowlrdge on the necessity to tithe.

Hebrew is a Semitic language, related to Akkadian, the lingua franca of that time. An Akkadian noun that Abraham was most likely familiar with given his Babylonian background was esretu, meaning "one-tenth". By the time of Abraham, this phrase was used to refer to the "one-tenth tax," or "tithe". Listed below are some specific instances of the Mesopotamian tithe, taken from The Assyrian Dictionary of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago, Vol. 4 "E":

[Referring to a ten per cent tax levied on garments by the local ruler:] "the palace has taken eight garments as your tithe (on 85 garments)"

"…eleven garments as tithe (on 112 garments)"
", (the sun-god) Shamash demands the tithe, ."

"four minas of silver, the tithe of [the gods] Bel, Nabu, and Nergal, "

", he has paid, in addition to the tithe for Ninurta, the tax of the gardiner"

", the tithe of the chief accountant, he has delivered it to [the sun-god] Shamash"

", why do you not pay the tithe to the Lady-of-Uruk?"

", (a man) owes barley and dates as balance of the tithe of the **years three and four"

", the tithe of the king on barley of the town, "

", with regard to the elders of the city whom (the king) has **summoned to (pay) tithe, "

", the collector of the tithe of the country Sumundar, "

", (the official Ebabbar in Sippar) who is in charge of the tithe, "

Because of this standard one-tenth tax in Babylon, Abraham of the Genesis account was most likely familiar with the concept of giving up ten-percent of goods as tax

From the bold above many gods have also demanded tithes of the people, what a class to place the God of gods, old habits die hard, no wonder Hebrews 7 described tithing as a useless practice, even pagans do it to their gods
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 12:00pm On Jan 11, 2010
Ovamboland:

See below wikipedia's position on tithing practice

there it is, tithing was not a recognised practice in Christianity until AD787 , about 700 years after the last Apostle must have died, sorry all those seeing revelation and receiving word of knowlrdge on the necessity to tithe.

From the bold above many gods have also demanded tithes of the people, what a class to place the God of gods, old habits die hard, no wonder Hebrews 7 described tithing as a useless practice, even pagans do it to their gods

Is dat all you can say about the topic ? *shakes head*
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Ovamboland(m): 1:20pm On Jan 11, 2010
Sorry, not prepared to re-invent the wheel, the Bible is available in English language and very clear in interpretation. There is nothing new to say that has not been said already on this thread

There is something called NEW CONVENANT which cannot be if there is no OLD convenant. Maybe we should shift the discourse to what and what the Bible implies is carried over from the Old into the New.

What says thee? cheesy
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:59pm On Jan 11, 2010
It is not surprising how the religious, satanists and atheists all have a common ground when it comes to tithes. Why would satan want the Church to tithe? he would rather they stay poor as church rats and that its ministers go begging for handouts.

Lets see what the last prophet in the Old Testament had to say about tithes. The book of Malachi is the final message to a disobedient and rebellious people. Through prophet Malachi, God dared the Israelites to test Him. Yes, I know that Jesus warned us never to put God to a test, but here is an exception to the rule. God the creator of the universe puts Himself in a box and gives us the solution to every financial problem, which is the best kept prosperity secret in existence which works but has been virtually forgotten. He said:

"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour your out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it" -- Malachi 3:10

This is the challenge! Tithing is not just for the Old Testament as some here may contend. The first tenth belongs to the Lord. Don't think that you are doing God a favour by paying your tithes, you are not giving Him anything that He doesn't already own. Tithers have God as their financial partner and He owns all the entire resources of the universe. So, here is an opportunity for us to put God to the test, even today!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 2:19pm On Jan 11, 2010
@Ovamboland
Thanx for those revealing and incisive references. It still beats my imagination how any right thinking and sane individual can still argue tithing is new testamental after all that has been revealed about tithes on this forum. I guess some people have sworn to perish due to lack of knowledge than accept knowledge.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 2:32pm On Jan 11, 2010
The tithe merchants are BACK with some recruits pa pa tongue

Therefore let us give to God what is due God (Matt. 22:21), give to Caesar (beggars, poor, widows) what belong to them. In the Old Testament administrative tithing, Moses’ commanded them to set aside the tithes in the 3rd year and give specifically unto the strangers, widows and orphans. Simple!.

Tonye-tithe; are you kidding me? Caesar equals the poor, beggars and widows in your BOOK?

I feel sorry for you now if this is really your take, who was the temporal AUTHORITY of those times?

GREED needs to be reclassified as a DISEASE.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by jice(m): 3:35pm On Jan 11, 2010
The kingdom of God is a Kingdom of faith for the faithful.
Though you are allowed to do anything or say anything and seem to go scot free, remember that the Bible did not miss a word when it said And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life. Rev 22v19

Even when Jesus decried the religion of the Pharisees whom He called hypocrites, He never told them that their religious activities concerning tithing is wrong. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law ,judgement, mercy and faith matt 23:23.

Let the advocates of one-time tithe make sure they are faithful to give all else they will offend in that and let the lovers of the poor who probably haven’t given .001% of their earnings to the poor continue to love themselves in disguise for God is watching us.

If the bible our belief in tithe is true, we have a gain and if it is wrong to pay tithes we have no cause to complain because the faithful know that God blesses the giver as no way you sow without reaping.

Call me a Jew Man because I pay tithes and I will prove to you that Jesus my Lord is still the KING OF THE JEWS

Bless you all on this thread.

Somebody shout Halleluiah!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:00pm On Jan 11, 2010
"Will a man rob GodYet you have robbed meBut you say, How have we robbed youIn tithes and offerings" -- Malachi 3:8

Here we see that tithes and offering belong to God by virtue of covenant agreements with man.  When we use what rightly belongs to God for personal gain is becomes robbery.

Can we also see how we rob God of tithes and offerings?  This verse is not only applicable to Israel but is also applicable to all nations both in the New and Old Testaments, for God is not a respecter of persons.

As we have pointed out earlier, the paying of tithes was practiced before the Law (Genesis 14:20-;28:22).  It was also commanded under grace in the New Testament (See Matthew 23:23; Romans 2:22 that we should not commit sacrilege, if you are not sure of the meaning find out; 1 Corinthians 9:7-14; Galatians 6:6 Paul here explains why tithes and offering should be paid; 1 Cor. 16:2; and Hebrews 7:1-10).

It often amazes me that folks agree that offerings can be given today but not tithes especially when God says tithes and offering belong to Him. undecided  Where is it written or implied that tithes and not offerings are now abolished? 
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Ovamboland(m): 4:11pm On Jan 11, 2010
jice:

The kingdom of God is a Kingdom of faith for the faithful.
Though you are allowed to do anything or say anything and seem to go scot free, remember that the Bible did not miss a word when it said And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life. Rev 22v19

Even when Jesus decried the religion of the Pharisees whom He called hypocrites, He never told them that their religious activities concerning tithing is wrong. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law ,judgement, mercy and faith matt 23:23.

Let the advocates of one-time tithe make sure they are faithful to give all else they will offend in that and[b] let the lovers of the poor who probably haven’t given .001%[/b] of their earnings to the poor continue to love themselves in disguise for God is watching us.

If the bible our belief in tithe is true, we have a gain and if it is wrong to pay tithes we have no cause to complain because the faithful know that God blesses the giver as no way you sow without reaping.

Call me a Jew Man because I pay tithes and I will prove to you that Jesus my Lord is still the KING OF THE JEWS

Bless you all on this thread.

Somebody shout Halleluiah!

It seems you also swallowed the bait of not caring for what the money you donate is used for as advocated by latter day pulpit pimps, fair enough.

Assuming you donate money to a cause say to Kanu Heart foundation only to discover the money is actually going to purchase private jet for Mr. Kanu and to throw lavish birthday bash, will you continue to send more money and console yourself that you are meeting real needs? Will you still expect benefits from God and still take your donation as a fine example of loving your neigbhour especially one in need?Would you still expect to reap from this type of sowing?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 6:26pm On Jan 11, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

"Will a man rob GodYet you have robbed meBut you say, How have we robbed youIn tithes and offerings" -- Malachi 3:8

Here we see that tithes and offering belong to God by virtue of covenant agreements with man.  When we use what rightly belongs to God for personal gain is becomes robbery.

Can we also see how we rob God of tithes and offerings?  This verse is not only applicable to Israel but is also applicable to all nations both in the New and Old Testaments, for God is not a respecter of persons.

As we have pointed out earlier, the paying of tithes was practiced before the Law (Genesis 14:20-;28:22).  It was also commanded under grace in the New Testament (See Matthew 23:23; Romans 2:22 that we should not commit sacrilege, if you are not sure of the meaning find out; 1 Corinthians 9:7-14; Galatians 6:6 Paul here explains why tithes and offering should be paid; 1 Cor. 16:2; and Hebrews 7:1-10).

It often amazes me that folks agree that offerings can be given today but not tithes especially when God says tithes and offering belong to Him. undecided  Where is it written or implied that tithes and not offerings are now abolished? 

Ola or is it Agbegilodo?

Malachi was speaking to the Levites about their collections and what they bring to the Temple. The pimping pastors or prosperity pimps love to quote that a lot, so you are either one or been severely brainwashed by one and need to REPENT ASAP.

Study your Bible more and you will find that Jesus Christ taught us to love, help others (poor, widows, orphans, strangers, etc), visit those in prison, etc. There are plenty of ways to help others and MONEY happens to be just one way but you won't guess that from the preachings of the prosperity pimps.

John the Baptist PREACHED REPENTANCE, stood up to the so called Caesar of his days that they had to jail him, I wonder why he didn't take tithes, offerings, seed sowing, etc to "help his ministry".

You guys need to wake up from this SLUMBER and repent from these false doctrines/preaching. Christian Temples are the people and not the buildings, God doesn't live in any Temple built with human hands, why don't you folks take the time to study the Word instead of being carbon copies?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:31pm On Jan 11, 2010
Seedtime and harvest. Gen.8:22

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 7:48pm On Jan 11, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

Seedtime and harvest. Gen.8:22

You guys will go any length to prove your folly of a doctrine, now where did they mention money? Verse 20 had this:

20And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

Do you and your so called MOGs still practice the above?

Your cartoon must be from a tithe-friendly site  grin, see below and tell me where it said 10%

2 Cor. 9:7
Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 8:51pm On Jan 11, 2010
I think Olaadegbu is a robot. His responses are based on pre-program answers. His developers (MOGs  grin grin) obviously did not anticipate the kind of comments/views being expressed by most posters on this thread. I believe he needs an upgrade.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by aletheia(m): 11:48pm On Jan 11, 2010
ogajim:

Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
1. As he purposeth in his heart sure doesn't sound like a fixed ten percent "tithe".
2. Neither grudgingly or of necessity
3. And the word translated "or of necessity" is given in Thayer's Greek Definitions as:
G318 ἀναγκή (anagkē)
1) necessity, imposed either by the circumstances, or by law of duty regarding to one’s advantage, custom, argument
2) calamity, distress, straits
The law of tithing as preached today is an imposition not supported by scripture. Most who tithe do so out of fear not love.
And Mr Olaadegbu seems to have returned to the "seedtime and harvest" argument, so like Bereans we will examine the scripture to see if it means what he says it means.
Gen 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
Nope, not a mention of tithes but God's promise just after the Flood, that the seasons and cycles of the earth will not cease. Interesting that your exegesis doesn't mention cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night.

Adam Clarke's Commentary on this verse has this to say
Gen 8:22
While the earth remaineth, seed-time and harvest, etc. - There is something very expressive in the original, עד כל ימי הארץ od col yemey haarets, until all the Days of the earth; for God does not reckon its duration by centuries, and the words themselves afford a strong presumption that the earth shall not have an endless duration.
Seed-time and harvest - It is very probable that the seasons, which were distinctly marked immediately after the deluge, are mentioned in this place; but it is difficult to ascertain them. Most European nations divide the year into four distinct parts, called quarters or seasons; but there are six divisions in the text, and probably all intended to describe the seasons in one of these postdiluvian years, particularly in that part of the globe, Armenia, where Noah was when God gave him, and mankind through him, this gracious promise. From the Targum of Jonathan on this verse we learn that in Palestine their seed-time was in September, at the autumnal equinox; their harvest in March, at the vernal equinox; that their winter began in December, at the solstice; and their summer at the solstice in June.
The Copts begin their autumn on the 15th of September, and extend it to the 15th of December. Their winter on the 15th of December, and extend it to the 15th of March. Their spring on the 15th of March, and extend it to the 15th of June. Their summer on the 15th of June, and extend it to the 15th of September, assigning to each season three complete months.
There are certainly regions of the earth to which neither this nor our own mode of division can apply: there are some where summer and winter appear to divide the whole year, and others where, besides summer, winter, autumn, and spring, there are distinct seasons that may be denominated the hot season, the cold season, the rainy season, etc., etc.
This is a very merciful promise to the inhabitants of the earth. There may be a variety in the seasons, but no season essentially necessary to vegetation shall utterly fail. The times which are of greatest consequence to the preservation of man are distinctly noted; there shall be both seed-time and harvest - a proper time to deposit the different grain in the earth, and a proper time to reap the produce of this seed.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by PastorAIO: 12:53am On Jan 12, 2010
ogajim:

Your cartoon must be from a tithe-friendly site  grin, see below and tell me where it said 10%

aletheia:

1. As he purposeth in his heart sure doesn't sound like  a fixed ten percent "tithe".
2. Neither grudgingly or of necessity
3. And the word translated "or of necessity" is given in Thayer's Greek Definitions as:
G318 ἀναγκή (anagkē)
1) necessity, imposed either by the circumstances, or by law of duty regarding to one’s advantage, custom, argument
2) calamity, distress, straits
The law of tithing as preached today is an imposition not supported by scripture. Most who tithe do so out of fear not love.
And Mr Olaadegbu seems to have returned to the "seedtime and harvest" argument, so like Bereans we will examine the scripture to see if it means what he says it means.
Gen 8:22  While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
Nope, not a mention of tithes but God's promise just after the Flood, that the seasons and cycles of the earth will not cease. Interesting that your exegesis doesn't mention cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night.

That corinthian chapter 9 has been used, or rather abused, by the Thieves so often in such a sickening way.  That is why the Robbers tell their congregation to dance as they are coming to give their tithe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUAnrVWUkk
(sorry, I've forgotten how to put videos up).  Poor Brother Franklin, he has been duped into believing that by giving his tithe and dancing then he is a cheerful giver and God will bless him.

So that you all don't get similarly deceived let us discuss the context of that verse. 

At that time, there was a famine that had struck palestine which was the main base of the christian movement.  The simple long and short of it was that the money that Paul was talking about was famine relief.

27 And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch. 28 And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar. 29 Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judaea: 30 Which also they did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul.
Acts chapter 11

Paul's mission was to collect the donations and take them to Jerusalem where the main bulk of the christians were who were suffering due to the famine.  Paul was always doing this.  Collecting money from the various churches to send to the christians that needed it the most.  Look at Corinthians again:

1 For as touching the ministering to the saints, it is superfluous for me to write to you: 2 For I know the forwardness of your mind, for which I boast of you to them of Macedonia, that Achaia was ready a year ago; and your zeal hath provoked very many. 3 Yet have I sent the brethren, lest our boasting of you should be in vain in this behalf; that, as I said, ye may be ready: 4 Lest haply if they of Macedonia come with me, and find you unprepared, we (that we say not, ye) should be ashamed in this same confident boasting. 5 Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren, that they would go before unto you, and make up beforehand your bounty, whereof ye had notice before, that the same might be ready, as a matter of bounty, and not as of covetousness.
6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. 7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

In other words Paul was saying that he had already been boasting about how generous they were to the cause of this famine relief, and please they shouldn't embarass him o, but they should gather a bountiful relief package.

He continued:

11 Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God. 12 For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God; 13 Whiles by the experiment of this ministration they glorify God for your professed subjection unto the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal distribution unto them, and unto all men; 14 And by their prayer for you, which long after you for the exceeding grace of God in you.

Further more having relieved the 'want' (old english for destitution) of the saints, when they pray to God in thanksgiving they will surely mention their helpers.  Also note that the commendation is for the generosity to both the saints in jerusalem and also to ALL MEN.  There is no mention of pastors here.  The christians in Jerusalem were called the Saints.   I believe sometimes christians everywhere were called saints.

So you see, this passage is in reference to aid to be sent to other christians that are in need.  When was the last time any pentecostal church sent aid to any other church anywhere in the world, or even just down the road sef,  when the other church was in need.  Even within the same church there are members in need yet the church is doing nothing to help them.  Haba! 

Not to talk of sending aid to non-christians, for instance famine relief in Ethiopia or Sudan. Church of England does collections for various charities in every service, they are involved in the relief of suffering for not only christians but all people. What have the pentecostals done. Useless vagabonds. All they can do is wear expensive suits. Aatan jatijati, Refuse heap. And those that cannot afford expensive suit, all that is on their mind is how they can one day afford to wear it.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 9:12am On Jan 12, 2010
@Pastor AIO & Alethia
Thanx so much for your brilliant and incisive analysis. I must comment that in the few years i have been on nairaland i have been challenged to read and understand the bible better than all the several sermons i heard in decades of attending churches. I must declare nairaland religion section is the best bible school i ever attended. grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 9:18am On Jan 12, 2010
Zikkyy:

I think Olaadegbu is a robot. His responses are based on pre-program answers. His developers (MOGs grin grin) obviously did not anticipate the kind of comments/views being expressed by most posters on this thread. I believe he needs an upgrade.

The truth is that for centuries preachers have gotten away with preaching their opinions the way they feel on the pulpit without getting queried by the congregation becos of the way a church is set up. To make matters worse some of them have built an aura around themselves and their followers see them has infallible and they can preach no wrong, hence they get lazy in their submissions and don't do a thorough job in the twisting of scriptures cos they don't expect christians like the berean christians did to verify what ever crap they spew out for them selves.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 10:32am On Jan 12, 2010
1. I asked them if tithing was a law, no one could answer me

2. I asked again what they understood from the 23rd verse of Matthew 23, which said, practise mercy, practise faithfulness, practise justice and also do not neglect to practise tithing. And all they could say was that Christ made this statement while he was still in the law, and as such isnt useful since he died to abolish the law.h.mmm really

3. I asked them again, ok you said Christ abolished the law and so also abolished tithing. hmmm then prove it? and they formed dump

4. I asked them to show me where it was explicitly stated in the NT that tithing was abolished, not Law since none could prove it was a law, and all they could do was show me that law was abolished. The question is "Is tithing a law?"

5. I even showed them plainly with scriptures that the fulfilled law was only the law of Moses and not God's law. And all they could do was act as though they never saw the scriptural passages.

6. They said since we arent levites, we should not collect tithes, i asked them, ok, so since we arent Jews, we should not also give offerings.afterall it stated with them (Jews) And they called me Tonye-thief

7. I told them Abraham who had the first account of a tither in the biblos tithed to a Priest not to a widow, and they said i am a rogue, that they prefer tithing to the widows and orphans. ok lets see

8. I asked them to show me where it was justified to give once tithe to widows, afterall in the OT the tithes were given to the priests and levites who then distributed it to the people. They rather claimed they had right to do whatever with their moneys. ok

9. The most pitiful, was their claim that tithing was simply a voluntary act thus a freewill offering, i said ok, wont it be better you show me where it was explicitly stated that tithing meant the same thing as freewill offering. simply show us passages and stop calling names like thief, heretic, rogue, scammer. A matured christain will rather show clear passages from the biblos and shun critics.

10. They said since Paul never taught it, meant it wasnt useful. i showed them NT passages of Paul which butresses the Ancestral custom.

11. The most appauling was that they said tithing doesnt guarantee once blessings, i said hmmm interesting claim. prove it at least i have done mine severally.

God help NL xtians including me in Jesus name. Amen!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 11:02am On Jan 12, 2010
Tonye i am really sick of this your dishonesty as all the issues you raised on tithes has been thoroughly and adequately addressed, i would not have responded if it was only you reading this but for the benefit of those you are trying to decevive by this post i would address you questions for the upteenth time.

Tonye-t:

1. I asked them if tithing was a law, no one could answer me
You know very well that matthew 23:23 stated that tithing was part of the law, likewise Hebrew 7:5

Tonye-t:

2. I asked again what they understood from the 23rd verse of Matthew 23, which said, practise mercy, practise faithfulness, practise justice and also do not neglect to practise tithing. And all they could say was that Christ made this statement while he was still in the law, and as such isnt useful since he died to abolish the law.h.mmm really
Is that not true was he not addressing pharisees who were under the law? And was it not mint and cumin they were tithing contrary to income crooks preach today.

Tonye-t:

3. I asked them again, ok you said Christ abolished the law and so also abolished tithing. hmmm then prove it? and they formed dump
romans 10:4 makes it crystal clear that christ brought the law to an end.

Tonye-t:

4. I asked them to show me where it was explicitly stated in the NT that tithing was abolished, not Law since none could prove it was a law, and all they could do was show me that law was abolished. The question is "Is tithing a law?"
Hebrews 7: 5-19 was very precise in it's anullment of tithes and it further described it has a weak useless and unprofitable practise tongue

Tonye-t:

5. I even showed them plainly with scriptures that the fulfilled law was only the law of Moses and not God's law. And all they could do was act as though they never saw the scriptural passages.

Another lie! what is the diffrence between moses laws and God's laws? I thought you claimed that tithing was not part of the laws? why are you now implying it was part of God's laws? In that case please quote scriptures whichstates that tithing was part of God's laws that were not abolished. Barawo!!!

Tonye-t:

6. They said since we arent levites, we should not collect tithes, i asked them, ok, so since we arent Jews, we should not also give offerings.afterall it stated with them (Jews) And they called me Tonye-thief

Christians were given a different instruction when it comes to giving. 2 corinthians 9:7 is what christian giving/ offerings is based on. Note that the epistle of corinthians was written to gentiles and not jews.

Tonye-t:

7. I told them Abraham who had the first account of a tither in the biblos tithed to a Priest not to a widow, and they said i am a rogue, that they prefer tithing to the widows and orphans. ok lets see

We are not oblidge to follow Abraham's one off freely given example. Besides most of us don't have any war booty to give grin

Tonye-t:

8. I asked them to show me where it was justified to give once tithe to widows, afterall in the OT the tithes were given to the priests and levites who then distributed it to the people. They rather claimed they had right to do whatever with their moneys. ok

Deuteronomy 14:22-29 states clearly we should give of our tithes to widows, orphans and strangers.

Tonye-t:

9. The most pitiful, was their claim that tithing was simply a voluntary act thus a freewill offering, i said ok, wont it be better you show me where it was explicitly stated that tithing meant the same thing as freewill offering. simply show us passages and stop calling names like thief, heretic, rogue, scammer. A matured christain will rather show clear passages from the biblos and shun critics.
On the contrary you should show us scriptures which directs that christians are required to tithe.

Tonye-t:

10. They said since Paul never taught it, meant it wasnt useful. i showed them NT passages of Paul which butresses the Ancestral custom.
Abeg bros, you didn't show nothing! You were only try in your charasteristic manner to twist Paul's wrttings.

Tonye-t:

11. The most appauling was that they said tithing doesnt guarantee once blessings, i said hmmm interesting claim. prove it at least i have done mine severally.
I am yet to see a tither who is half as blessed as myself tongue Besides the most materially blessed people in the world today are not even christians talkless of tithers and the extremely wealthy christians amongst them don't even tite.
Tonye-t:

God help NL xtians including me in Jesus name. Amen!

[size=24pt]AMEN!!![/size]
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Joagbaje(m): 11:30am On Jan 12, 2010
Tithing is not a law matter. It is our worship to God. Jesus fulfiled the law of Moses because they pointed to christ. thereby indirectly abolish the law. But tithe was not a shadow of messiah. So law or no law , our devotion to God continues.
If you don't believe in tithing it's ok. But the insults and name callings are against scriptures . Those who believe in tithing have their biblical reason. Don't call it a scam. Don't call pastors crook. There are several things we may not agree in the bible. It is a sign of immaturity to attack spiritual leaders to proove your points.

in pauls day there are several things they didn't agree. Paul had a different message of liberty. While James , peter believed in works and circumcicion etc. You won't find Paul attacking them on their belief.Calling James juju man and peter Ogboni . At the Jerusalem council he had opportunity to lambast everybody. He only presented his doctrine to them and left. But he had to rebuke peter when peter for hypocricy when they came to his church and tried to impose bondage over them because he has responsibility to protect his sheep.

Going after another mans sheep to polute them is unscripural. More so when you're wrong. Even if you're right. Go and win souls preach the gospel. We have over a thousand issues that we may not agree on now. but one day " We will come in the unity of the faith"
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:25pm On Jan 12, 2010
On behalf of Pastor AIO,

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUAnrVWUkk&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/flash]

God loves a cheerful giver. Tithing is right giving with an attitude of gratitude. This is Franklin's way of showing his gratitude to God, let's leave it between him and God. grin grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 12:32pm On Jan 12, 2010
Joagbaje:

Tithing is not a law matter. It is our worship to God. Jesus fulfiled the law of Moses because they pointed to christ. thereby indirectly abolish the law. But tithe was not a shadow of messiah. So law or no law , our devotion to God continues.
If you don't believe in tithing it's ok. But the insults and name callings are against scriptures . Those who believe in tithing have their biblical reason. Don't call it a scam. Don't call pastors crook. There are several things we may not agree in the bible. It is a sign of immaturity to attack spiritual leaders to proove your points.

in pauls day there are several things they didn't agree. Paul had a different message of liberty. While James , peter believed in works and circumcicion etc. You won't find Paul attacking them on their belief.Calling James juju man and peter Ogboni . At the Jerusalem council he had opportunity to lambast everybody. He only presented his doctrine to them and left. But he had to rebuke peter when peter for hypocricy when they came to his church and tried to impose bondage over them because he has responsibility to protect his sheep.

Going after another mans sheep to polute them is unscripural. More so when you're wrong. Even if you're right. Go and win souls preach the gospel. We have over a thousand issues that we may not agree on now. but one day " We will come in the unity of the faith"

The highlighted is another confirmation that you are NOT a christian but an idolizing pastor worshipper [that is if you are not a pastor yourself]. Since when did christians become sheep of their pastors or spiritual leaders   Real chriatians are sheep of our lord Jesus christ and not sheep of any egoistic self serving pastor. I like your use of the term "bondage over them" is it not the same bondage of tithes over christians that Jesus never asked for that we are trying to protect our christian brethen from by exposing the truth on this forum? By speaking the truth about tithes and exposing this fraud that is going on in so called churches today we are only performing our christian duties of standing for the truth and exposing the wolves amongst us that Jesus and the apostles warned us about.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by aletheia(m): 12:45pm On Jan 12, 2010
Joagbaje:

Going after another mans sheep to polute them is unscripural.

Oh boy, aren't you in enough trouble already. You highlighted statement above shows what is clearly wrong with the body of Christ today. . .confused, muddled and no knowledge of the scriptures, hence wolves masquerading as "MOG" take them prey. FYI:

Joh 10:1-16
"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber. But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers." This figure of speech Jesus used with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them. So Jesus again said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.

but come to think about it, you may be right about other men's sheep, just not the sheep of Christ.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 12:52pm On Jan 12, 2010
Tonye-t:

6. They said since we arent levites, we should not collect tithes, i asked them, ok, so since we arent Jews, we should not also give offerings.afterall it stated with them (Jews) And they called me[b] Tonye-thief[/b]

Na lie?  grin grin

Tonye-t:

Mr Tonye-t, where you get this info from? Na wa for you!!  angry angry This your get rich quick or tithe trying beliefs you are selling will not get you anywhere. There is still time for repentance, i suggest you act fast.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 1:07pm On Jan 12, 2010
@Joagbaje
Ovbviously you are still very young in the faith and all you know is pentecostal indoctrination. The scriptures below would help you understand that the sheep belong to no preacher but only our Lord Jesus christ.

1 Corinthians 1:10-13:
Divisions in the Church   
10 I appeal to you, dear brothers and sisters, by the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ, to live in harmony with each other. Let there be no divisions in the church. Rather, be of one mind, united in thought and purpose. 11 For some members of Chloe’s household have told me about your quarrels, my dear brothers and sisters. 12 Some of you are saying, “I am a follower of Paul.” Others are saying, “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Peter,” or “I follow only Christ.” 13 Has Christ been divided into factions? Was I, Paul, crucified for you? Were any of you baptized in the name of Paul? Of course not!

This passage also proves that church denominations which you pentecostals gleefully start up on a daily basis are against the teachings of the scripture.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 1:18pm On Jan 12, 2010
aletheia:

but come to think about it, you may be right about other men's sheep, just not the sheep of Christ.

Now you talking. I agree with Mr Joagbaje here. The pastor is the shepherd and the ignorant and gullible members of his church are the sheep cos they are constantly being fleeced  grin grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 1:49pm On Jan 12, 2010
Zikkyy:

Now you talking. I agree with Mr Joagbaje here. The pastor is the shepherd and the ignorant and gullible members of his church are the sheep cos they are constantly being fleeced grin grin grin

Ok now i get it, the pastors must be the hired hands who care only for money Jesus was talking about in John 10

John 10:11-13:

11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd sacrifices his life for the sheep. 12 A hired hand will run when he sees a wolf coming. He will abandon the sheep because they don’t belong to him and he isn’t their shepherd. And so the wolf attacks them and scatters the flock. 13 The hired hand runs away because he’s working only for the money and doesn’t really care about the sheep.

Clearly speaking, in the context of today the pastors are the hired hands who are suposed to tend the flock on behalf of the good sheperd whilst he is not physically with us.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:16pm On Jan 12, 2010
wink

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 2:40pm On Jan 12, 2010
@Olaadegbu
What are you winking for i hope you have decided to repent and stop being a "hired hand" that doesn't care for the flock.

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (41) (Reply)

The Most Powerful Spiritualist/herbalist In Nigeria.....+234867395768 / Chima Ikwunado: Apostle Chibuzor Chinyere Gifts Mini Estate Apartment To Wife / Letter To Daddy Freeze — From A 16-Year-Old Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 172
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.