Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,416 members, 7,861,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:43 AM

Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? - Religion (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? (43627 Views)

Poll: Does the New Testament require us to tithe?

Yes: 38% (28 votes)
No: 61% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Says God Can Not Change Your Story (photo) / Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 5:08pm On Jan 05, 2010
KunleOshob:

Mr olaadegbu, kindly note that what most of us christians who critisize the concept of tithing are actually critisizing is the manipulative way supposed men of God preach it to their congregation. If they told their congregation the truth that it is just a voluntary practise i don't think we would be having this various threads on tithes on this forum. Nobody as spoken against voluntery giving towards the propagation of the gospel be it 10% or 100%.

Good, at least Me and My Brother KunleOshob are now coming to terms. hmmm interesting!

Atleast He believes it is a Practise (though voluntarily according to him) and dat he isnt here to speak against the practise be it 10%. What a fair day!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 5:14pm On Jan 05, 2010
ttalks:

Tonye-t, do you seriously need a memory jog?

Consider this below:

In the old days:-

Principal says at the morning assembly - "Students, it has been observed that you come to the exam hall with your pens to write down your answers to the exam questions but you neglect the most important thing which is to prepare hard by studying for the exam.
That is why, despite the fact that you put down answers in your sheets, you end up failing woefully.
You ought to study hard and properly and also to come with your pens to the exam hall in order to write down correct answers and pass your exams."

In the new days(data age):-

Principal says in his email message to every student - "Students, we are now using computers for your examinations now.
The questions are in the systems and all you are required to do is prepare well for the exams, come to the exam hall without any pens or writing materials as all you would be required to do is click on the correct answers with the mouse of your computer."

Now relate the above to matthew 23:23 Mr. Tonye.

Keynotes/Keywords:
Old days - old covenant/old testament
New days/data age - new covenant/new testament
Pen(s) - Tithe(s)
Studying/preparing - Justice,mercy and faith.

That's all I have for you. try to decipher what i'm driving at wink

bu-ah-ah-ah, Boy is dat what ou could make of that passage, stop your philosophical gimmicks and dry contrasting cheesy cheesy cheesy. tell us in simple terms with biblical passages what you can make of the passage

Matt.23:23 - And Jesus said unto them practise mercy, practise Justice, practise Faithfulness and also do not neglect to practise Tithing (American paraphrased version)
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 5:17pm On Jan 05, 2010
Tonye-t:

B-u-t-ful!!!! Just what i was lurking to hear, so Mr.Ogajim pls tell us which LAW was still in effect, and what DEBT did Jesus PAID in FULL on the CROSS. I m very keen on the LAW.! embarassed embarassed embarassed

Pls i kindly await your response.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that you guys only seem to pursue only the profitable aspects of the MOSAIC LAW but forgot the laws of Sabbath, burnt offerings, first born, etc. Tonye-tithe, are you still required to worship God in a Temple now? Jesus Christ died to pay our debt in Full, maybe yours as a "pastor" is not totally paid but MINE is grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 5:19pm On Jan 05, 2010
ogajim:

Can Tonye-tithe find an ancient scroll in Greece that answers this? we hope he is not one of those modern day Pharisee since Jesus was addressing the old "guard", na wa for these prosperity PIMPS and their students oooooooo! shocked shocked shocked shocked

Like i dont need any ancient scroll to answer this simple notion, i believe [U] ALL SCRIPTURES BE IT MATT.23:23 OR WHEREVER WAS GIVEN BY THE INSPIRATION OF GOD AND THEY ARE PROFITABLE FOR ONE'S WAY OF LIFE (DOCTRINE) [/U] do you want the passage of this scripture again. ah sef! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 5:26pm On Jan 05, 2010
ogajim:

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that you guys only seem to pursue only the profitable aspects of the MOSAIC LAW but forgot the laws of Sabbath, burnt offerings, first born, etc. Tonye-tithe, are you still required to worship God in a Temple now? Jesus Christ died to pay our debt in Full, maybe yours as a "pastor" is not totally paid but MINE is grin grin grin grin

cheesy cheesy grin grin grin good i caught him red-handed, so Ogajim you mean to tell me that tithing was part of the Mosaic law like the laws of Sabbath and burnt offerings? hmmmmmm ok pls tell us where TITHING was mentioned as a LAW from Genesis to Revelation of the Holy Biblos  grin grin grin grin grin Ogajim you are the men grin grin grin, the main men grin grin grin grin, the very main man grin grin grin. i cut cap for ya ascertions. *laffing in swahilli*

Tithing – The Law debate

Law could be defined as a decree, principle or ruling guiding a thing/people/standard and most times are documented as a biblos for referencing. Whereas an ordinance is a rite/ritual/spiritual trail. Howbeit the usage of both is for orderliness and objectivity; a law can be put in place to show how a ritual is to be performed. If we go on saying that Law has been abolished how then we have “thou shall not murder”and others still relevant, as well as the Law of Grace, the Law of the spirit of Life, why can’t we go on to say they have all been abolished? After all they are all laws. It is in my opinion that the laws of Moses is what we should know as obsolete (which are the laws of ceareal offering, animal sacrifice, priestly consecration by animal blood) and not the laws of God, for the Laws of the latter are all without errors whilst that of the former was a man’s law which even the scriptures said “…was given because of the hardness of their hearts”- Ps.81:12. Tithe has never been a Law but rather an ordinance, for the Law of Moses only provided how this ordinance was to be administered to a particular nation (Israelites).
when you read the Old Testament, you will find out that God specifically gave LAWS and he made them understand it was a LAW, hence it goes clearly stated

- Ex.12:49 - " The LAW of the 1st born"
- Lev.6:14 - " The LAW of the cereal offering"
- Lev. 6:25- " The LAW of the sin offering"
- Lev.7:7 -   " The LAW of the sacrifice of peace offering"
- Lev.7:37-  " The LAW of the burnt offering"

Law of leprosy disease (Lev.14:57), law of fluid discharge (lev.15:32)
and it goes on and on,

never was it mentioned anywhere of the LAW of TITHE/TITHEING as the case may be, rather the very first place you'll come across the word TITHE as regarding the Israelites exodus from Egypt was in Lev.27, reading from verse 1 it goes on like this

-1. And the Lord said,. . . vs. 30: it stated TITHE and on it goes. Even this passage began by telling them how they should give/ administer tithe and not a fresh teaching about tithing. Let me Quote it

Lev 27:30-32
30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord's; it is holy to the Lord. [1 Cor 9:11; Gal 6:6.] 
31 And if a man wants to redeem any of his tithes, he shall add a fifth to it.   

32 And the entire tithe of the herd or of the flock, whatever passes under the herdsman's staff [by means of which each tenth animal as it passes through a small door is selected and marked], the tenth shall be holy to the Lord (AMP)

Secondly if we can go through the Hebrew translations, one will discover that the tithe the nation of Israel practiced as at this time had the original tithe put (ma’aser) as a prefix or suffix. Meaning the tithe in Moses’ time followed the order of the original ancient tithe hence I call it an administrative tithing and not the origin of tithing per se.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 5:30pm On Jan 05, 2010
Jesus Christ (most High Priest after the order of Melchizedek) didn't collect tithes but the "pastors" that came after him are required to collect tithes?

If God required a Christian to PAY tithe (instead of freewill giving/offering), why didn't he send our Savior from the house Levi instead of the tribe of Judah?

I am curious!

To PAY tithe sounds too much like "pay taxes"

This tonye-tithe dude appears to be a "nutty pastor", get a real job dude, let me get my lunch
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 5:35pm On Jan 05, 2010
Hey Ogajim dont run be a man and answer this question [U]IS TITHE A MOSAIC LAW[/U] na wa o, u are caught here you'll run there, you are caught there you'll run here, na wa 4 u o, abi you be earth worm grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Brace up little soldier and answer this question so you dont let you men Kunleoshobobo and talkativetalker down
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 5:45pm On Jan 05, 2010
Tonye-t:

Matt.23:23 - And Jesus said unto them practise mercy, practise Justice, practise Faithfulness and also do not neglect to practise Tithing (American paraphrased version)[/font]

Tonye-tithe, this one you are bent on collecting this illegal withholding tax, i dont understand. If you dey work for council, Lagosians would have been subjected to all forms of illegal fines and dues. We cant have people like in you in such sensitive positions since you like money too much.

If you are bent on rendering this tenth (assuming you are not an MOG) go ahead, but dont deceive/threaten ignorant christians into parting with their money. Its not right. There is nothing wrong if you just request funding from the congregation to meet church activities/projects. I am sure a good number of them will still contribute.

Compulsory tithing is not new testatmental and not for christians. tithing for christians is based on freewill, its your choice and not a requirement from GOD. If your rendering a tenth of your income to your church was with a genuine belief that you are promoting the work of God, you can be blessed for it (cos you were sincere, its the heart that matters), its no different from the man that decide to give his 10% to the window or orphan next door. Both intentions are Godly. But dont pressure or force people to give. Giving with the belief you will reap bountifully, or becuase it keeps the devourer away from your bank account lacks sincerity. Please Tonye-t preach the truth.

Let learn to give because of the joy it brings to the giver and the receipient and because it is Godly to. thats is what christianity is about.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 5:50pm On Jan 05, 2010
Tonye-t:

Hey Ogajim dont run be a man and answer this question [U]IS TITHE A MOSAIC LAW[/U]  na wa o, u are caught here you'll run there, you are caught there you'll run here, na wa 4 u o, abi you be earth worm grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Brace up little soldier and answer this question so you dont let you men Kunleoshobobo and talkativetalker down
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Dude! you can say it predates the Mosaic times since first mention was Gen.14:18-24, happy now?

Abram gave a tenth of the LOOT, show me anywhere else he "PAID" tithe!

Jacob promised to give a tenth in Bethel, do you know where it was stated he "paid"?

Mosaic Law tithing had to do with the tribe of Levi, is Tonye-tithe a Levite? Are your fellow pastors from the tribe of Levi?? Lev27:30-32

Festival tithe? Deut 12:11-12 or the "welfare tithe" in Deut. 14:28-29?

Jesus did not fulfill the LAW for you? Matt. 5:17, Gal.3:13

The Scammers keep quoting our Lord Jesus out of context in Matt. 23:23 or Luke 11:42 which was for those UNDER THE LAW.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 5:53pm On Jan 05, 2010
Tonye-t:

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]Hey Ogajim dont run be a man and answer this question [U]IS TITHE A MOSAIC LAW[/U] [color=#000099]

Your modern day tithing practice is based on the mosaic law. If your current practice is based on the cultural practice of acient  babylon, am not sure anybody will complain.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 6:06pm On Jan 05, 2010
The Priesthood has not changed in the opinion of these scammers so there is no need for a change in the law either they will argue.

God will surely judge us all!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Enigma(m): 2:12am On Jan 06, 2010
The  reasoning of those who say "tithing" is not based on the Law of Moses but that it predates it is often either illogical, plain daft, fraudulent or all three.

If "tithing" is not based on Mosaic Law, then stop using the passages in Deuteronomy, Leviticus and Malachi among others as justification for the modern chicanery. Indeed, stop using Matthew 23:23 since the "tithes" being referred to by Jesus there was the Mosaic "tithe" and not the type done by Abraham (on just the one occasion as far as we are told in the Bible).

If tithing is not based on the Law but based on (a) what Abraham did - one off event given from loot aka spoils of war - without any command or instruction from God, and (b)  the promise of Jacob (which we did not even know whether he kept), theeeeeen how can "tithing" today  be compulsory? Is it not that the "tither" who wants to follow Abraham will decide when (maybe on just one ocassion) he will do it? Is it not that the person who wants to follow Jacob will decide when to promise to give a "tithe"?

If "tithing" is not based on the Law, then the tithe preachers and thieves should not use "bring all the tithes to the storehouse" since that does not refer to the type of tithe given by Abraham or promised by Jacob and only refers to the "tithe" under the Law.

I just feel sorry for the misinformed honest Christians who have been deceived by the thieving (or themselves simply misinformed) tithe preachers.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 10:12am On Jan 06, 2010
Enigma:

The reasoning of those who say "tithing" is not based on the Law of Moses but that it predates it is often either illogical, plain daft, fraudulent or all three.

Apparently they are just hypocritical criminals just out to make a living out of the sweat of others under the pretext that they are spreading the gospel. The biblical weigth of evidence against the way tithes is preached and practised today is so heavy that NO right thinking bible believing christians should fall for the scam. However most christians don't read their bible they depend on the twisted interpretation of often over rated so called men of God.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:53am On Jan 06, 2010
KunleOshob:

Mr olaadegbu, kindly note that what most of us christians who critisize the concept of tithing are actually critisizing is the manipulative way supposed men of God preach it to their congregation. If they told their congregation the truth that it is just a voluntary practise i don't think we would be having this various threads on tithes on this forum. Nobody as spoken against voluntery giving towards the propagation of the gospel be it 10% or 100%.

Are you not contradicting yourself? Do you believe that tithing is biblical or unbiblical? If it is unbiblical why would you care if it is voluntary practise or not? And if it is biblical why do you throw the baby out with the soap water? If it is your intention to expose the charlatans that are taking advantage of the biblical practise of tithing then you will have to make that clarification. All your campaign on this tithes issue seems to me to be against the practise of tithing, biblically or unbiblically but if you have now changed your tact to conceed that tithing is biblical but the charlatans are wrong then make this clear, you cannot eat your cake and have it. Happy new year, even if this is belated.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:02am On Jan 06, 2010
KunleOshob:

Apparently they are just hypocritical criminals just out to make a living out of the sweat of others under the pretext that they are spreading the gospel. The biblical weigth of evidence against the way tithes is preached and practised today is so heavy that NO right thinking bible believing christians should fall for the scam. However most christians don't read their bible they depend on the twisted interpretation of often over rated so called men of God.

Do you believe in the spreading of the gospel at all?  If you do I will rather you spend your time and treasure to promote and propagate the good news to the perishing world as our Lord commanded.  Tithing and offering may not be right for those who are perishing to pay or give because the sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to Him.  Tithing to a true and faithful steward of God is an obligation that has to be done as the Lord prospers us.  10% is just a guiding principle that helps us to prioritise our giving and if we truley love God we will not hesitate to serve Him with all of our heart, might and strength, 100% of our resources is not too much, have you heard of the giving of 101%?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 11:05am On Jan 06, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

Are you not contradicting yourself? Do you believe that tithing is biblical or unbiblical? If it is unbiblical why would you care if it is voluntary practise or not? And if it is biblical why do you throw the baby out with the soap water? If it is your intention to expose the charlatans that are taking advantage of the biblical practise of tithing then you will have to make that clarification. All your campaign on this tithes issue seems to me to be against the practise of tithing, biblically or unbiblically but if you have now changed your tact to conceed that tithing is biblical but the charlatans are wrong then make this clear, you cannot eat your cake and have it. Happy new year, even if this is belated.

Even though tithing exists in the bible the type of tithing being preached and practised today in our churches is NOT biblical as the scriptures were twisted to arrive at it. That apart it was never directed at christians. If however pastors want to encourage tithes based on biblical refernces like the example of Abraham, they are morally bound to preach it truth fully as just a recommended practise and NOT twist scriptures to arm twist members into paying it. WHat i am campaigning against is the deceitful and manipulative way some churches [especially pentecostal] go about preaching the irrelevant and twisted doctrine.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 11:09am On Jan 06, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

Do you believe in the spreading of the gospel at all? If you do I will rather you spend your time and treasure to promote and propagate the good news to the perishing world as our Lord commanded. Tithing and offering may not be right for those who are perishing to pay or give because the sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to Him. Tithing to a true and faithful steward of God is an obligation that has to be done as the Lord prospers us. 10% is just a guiding principle that helps us to prioritise our giving and if we truley love God we will not hesitate to serve Him with all of our heart, might and strength, 100% of our resources is not too much, have you heard of the giving of 101%?

I strongly beleive in spreading the true gospel, but christ never asked us to resort to fraud [compusary tithing] to spread his gospel. Infact sprading the gospel through such means is contradictory to the gospel. That apart i am not even sure you know exactly what christ's gospel is or how to practicalize it. As what is common amongst you pentecostal folks is a twisted version of the gospel. But then again i admire our zeal to serve the lord, you just have to get it right.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 11:46am On Jan 06, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

Do you believe that tithing is biblical or unbiblical?

The issue is not whether tithing can be found in the bible, for me its all about how you interprete and implement that practice for modern christians. I consider it an issue when it is interpreted to serve the purpose of a particular group at the expense of others. What i see is a lot of people accepting this because it aligns with their personal goals. But i think it will be wrong to pretend there is no problem.

OLAADEGBU:

Tithing to a true and faithful steward of God is an obligation that has to be done as the Lord prospers us.

This is where i have issues. I believe a lot of people do not know why they tithe. They tithe because you have made it an obligation (and because you made them believe it will lead to prosperity). Giving a tenth (or an amount in excess) of your income to your church or pastor is a personal obligation and not an obligation for all christians.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Joagbaje(m): 6:28am On Jan 07, 2010
We are not complaining. . Ask yourself if everyone behave like you, will the gospel ever reach africa?.While some of you are still arguing over Ten percent to God others are giving all for the gospel. I don't give ten percent as tithe , I feel it's too small I give twenty or sometimes thirty percent. The inventor of Caterpiller machines attributed his success to his tithting. He started with 10% and later 20% before he died he was giving 90%! and only kept 10% for him self and this 10% was in billions! .These are men that were involved in sponsoring bibles all over the world. Let the the poor men be busy attacking the churches ,spend your whole day in business centres typing rubish . Campaingning for other poor people. There's no amount of money you give a poor man that will suffice. It is the gospel that will help the poor and THE POOR MUST GIVE TO GET OUT OF POVERTY!. Anybody busy doing something will not have time to criticise those who are busy.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by akered: 6:55am On Jan 07, 2010
Joagbaje:

It is the gospel that will help the poor and THE POOR MUST GIVE TO GET OUT OF POVERTY!. 

That smells like advanced fee fraud to me !!!  A devine 419.  Insisting on first taking 10% of the very little the poor has before getting them out of poverty?  That is wickedness.  Why doesnt this God just get this people out of poverty first, then get 10% of the goodies afterwards? I tell you, advance fee fraud probably started in religion!  Has anyone noticed how the good things in religion are always in the future?  Never in the present? But you should give your hard-earned money in the here-and-now!!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 9:04am On Jan 07, 2010
Mr Agabje if you are truly a christian then i suggest you read up the teachings of christ and the examples of the apsotles in the bible as regards giving and stop confusing your self with man made ideas of "defrauding" people to "spread" the gospel or give to one church as a condition precednt to God's blessings. As akered said that smells like religious 419.

Ephesians 4:14:

14 Then we will no longer be immature like children. We won’t be tossed and blown about by every wind of new teaching. We will not be influenced when people try to trick us with lies so clever they sound like the truth.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Enigma(m): 10:37am On Jan 07, 2010
Joagbaje:

THE POOR MUST GIVE TO GET OUT OF POVERTY!. 

This is a false doctrine used by many deceitful prosperity "gospel" fraudsters to perpetrate their fraud (419) of fleecing the flock --- enriching themselves at the expense of their congregations/followers.

Show one example (just one) from the Bible where Jesus Christ, Peter, Paul, James, John (or any other apostle) taught that a poor person should "give to get out of poverty".

EDIT

1. Why did the Apostle Paul ask for a collection to be taken for some poor Christians?

2. Why did he not just tell/teach the poor Christians to "give to get out of poverty"?

3. Perhaps the apostle Paul did not know the "magic formula" that these fraudulent prosperity preachers know?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 11:04am On Jan 07, 2010
Enigma:

This is a false doctrine used by many deceitful prosperity "gospel" fraudsters to perpetrate their fraud (419) of fleecing the flock --- enriching themselves at the expense of their congregations/followers.

Show one example (just one) from the Bible where Jesus Christ, Peter, Paul, James, John (or any other apostle) taught that a poor person should "give to get out of poverty".

EDIT

1. Why did the Apostle Paul ask for a collection to be taken for some poor Christians?

2. Why did he not just tell/teach the poor Christians to "give to get out of poverty"?

3. Perhaps the apostle Paul did not know the "magic formula" that these fraudulent prosperity preachers know?

grin grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by nuella2(f): 12:38pm On Jan 07, 2010
@ posters all these critics on nairaland are on a mission to fight against what the church of Jesus christ believes, like tithe, miracles, pastors, hell, gift of the spirit,rapture, The organisation they are from they dont beliv such, so they came through nairaland to fight us. I was there so i know them even with thier words. How can someone without the holy spirit test spirits. A man that is lost will do anything to scatter the sheep of the shepherd. A wise man will listen to the holy ghost inside of him and not some confused critics forcing themseves on people. Even if they see red they will insist is yellow. I leave them for the judgement, see you in new earth.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 1:42pm On Jan 07, 2010
nuella2:

@ posters all these critics on nairaland are on a mission to fight against what the church of Jesus christ believes, like tithe, miracles, pastors, hell, gift of the spirit,rapture, The organisation they are from they dont beliv such, so they came through nairaland to fight us. I was there so i know them even with thier words. How can someone without the holy spirit test spirits. A man that is lost will do anything to scatter the sheep of the shepherd. A wise man will listen to the holy ghost inside of him and not some confused critics forcing themseves on people. Even if they see red they will insist is yellow. I leave them for the judgement, see you in new earth.

I should give this guy a 15 yard penalty ; personal FOUL: Illegal use of a keyboard grin

One doesn't need glasses to spot a Zombie these days, they expose themselves unassisted.

Joagbaje:

We are not complaining.  . Ask yourself if everyone behave like you, will the gospel ever reach africa?.While some of you are still arguing over Ten percent to God others are giving all for the gospel. I don't give ten percent as tithe , I feel it's too small I give twenty or sometimes thirty percent. The inventor of Caterpiller machines attributed his success to his tithting. He started with 10% and later 20% before he died he was giving 90%! and only kept 10% for him self and this  10% was in billions! .These are men that were involved in sponsoring bibles all over the world. Let the the poor men be busy attacking the churches ,spend your whole day in business centres typing rubish . Campaingning for other poor people. There's no amount of money you give a poor man that will suffice. It is the gospel that will help the poor and THE POOR MUST GIVE TO GET OUT OF POVERTY!. Anybody busy doing something will not have time to criticise those who are busy.

Any Bible verses to support the highlighted?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by dupsygal: 1:48pm On Jan 07, 2010
Tithing began before the law was introduced. The Law simply regulated the tithe. Abraham tithed to Melchizedek, 400 years before the time of Moses and the Law, and according to Romans 4:12 we are to walk in the footsteps of the faith of Abraham. If tithing was good for him, it should be good for us, too.

We give tithes like Abraham gave them—not by the Law but by faith. And beside that, if the people of God paid ten percent before the Law, and ten percent under the Law, shouldn't we, who live by grace, be doing any less when we have a better covenant (Heb 7:22).
There is a passage in Hebrews, which deals with this issue directly. It is Hebrews 7:8:

In the one case, the tenth is collected by men who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living.

Melchizedek received Abraham’s tithe. The Hebrew writer shows that Melchizedek is a prefigure of Christ. We can conclude that just as Abraham gave a tithe to Melchizedek we give a tithe to Christ who is declared to be living.

Some people think this is a new issue. It is as old as the second century when more and more Gentiles were being converted. The early Jewish believers had no problem with tithing since they had done it under the Law and gave it to the priests. They simply gave their tithe to the elders of the church and did by love. However, as the church became less Jewish this issue came up to the church fathers. They answered the question of tithing with Matthew 23:23:

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

Notice Jesus said, "You should have practiced the latter (justice, mercy and faithfulness), without neglecting the former (tithing)." The fathers argued, and rightful so, that Jesus word ends the discussion. Since Jesus said not to neglect the former—being tithing—then no believer should neglect tithing. I wholeheartedly agree!

Some argue that Jesus words are not applicable to us today, because Jesus was under the Law and spoke to those under the Law. Their theory goes something like this: Jesus was giving an instruction to the Jews so His words are not binding to us.

The problem with this interpretation is that these teachers are bringing Christ down to the level of a Jewish prophet or Teacher of the Law. Jesus is the Word of God made flesh, so this means every word that comes out of His mouth is eternal. He cannot say anything without it being “spiritual law” and everlasting. Jesus emphasizes this point by saying, “Heaven and earth may pass away, but my words will never pass away” (Matt 24:35). These supposed Bible teachers are making the words of Jesus pass away—obsolete and out of date. Besides, these same teachers pick and choose which teachings of Christ in the gospels they believe is applicable to us. I notice that even these teachers agree that most of Christ’ teachings are for us; however, because they are predisposed against tithing, they have had to come up with an excuse for not obeying the clear word of Christ in Mathew 23:23.
As a believer, you have to show who your Lord is! Is it the teachers who tell you tithing is not New Testament and who tell you that Jesus word on the subject is out of date; or is it Jesus who clearly told us not to neglect tithing? No modern teacher has the right to tell you to disobey Jesus instruction on tithing. Period!
Even if the only passages in the New Testament was Jesus word, then that would be sufficient, however, I want to present other New Testament passages on the subject. Let’s look at Paul’s teaching on giving.

Paul also uses the pattern of tithing under the law in 1 Corinthians 9:13-14 and says,  

Don't you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

Paul argues that just as the priests got their food from the tithes of the people, so the preachers should live the same way. This passage clearly shows the mentality of the apostle and his understanding of carrying over the concept of tithing into the church. The passage often used to contradict this is 2 Corinthians 9:7:

Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

The argument goes something like this: "Each believer has a right to decide for himself what to give and should not be told what percentage he should contribute."

The problem with this argument is that the above passage is not dealing with giving to support the church, but rather giving to the poor. Under the Law, giving to the poor was a freewill offering. The Law commanded freewill offerings as well as tithes:

But you are to seek the place the LORD your God will choose from among all your tribes to put his Name there for his dwelling. To that place you must go; there bring your burnt offerings and sacrifices, your tithes and special gifts, what you have vowed to give and your freewill offerings, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks. (Deut 12:5-6)

It is quite inconsistent for people to appeal to freewill offerings yet claim that tithing has been abolished. Both tithing and freewill offerings were incorporated in the Law as the above passage shows, but they preceded the Law, thus they both should be practiced. The burden of proof is placed on those who teach that tithing has been abolished. If so, where in the New Testament does it clearly say that tithing has been abolished?  

One last thing, notice the resemblance of the language Paul uses in the first passage in Galatians and compare it with the Old Testament passage about tithing:
Anyone who receives instruction in the word must share all good things with his instructor. (Gal 6:6)

And you and the Levites and the aliens among you shall rejoice in all the good things the LORD your God has given to you and your household. When you have finished setting aside a tenth of all your produce in the third year, the year of the tithe, you shall give it to the Levite, the alien, the fatherless and the widow, so that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied. (Deut 26:11-12)

Galatians 6 is dealing with giving to the teacher of the gospel and he uses the same language about the Levites receiving the tithe of the people and he calls it "all good things." This is pretty good internal evidence that the early church tithed to the ministers of the gospel, although, I admit it is not explicit evidence.  

, TOM BROWN ministries

I belief very much in tithing whether mandated or free-willed, it is the word of God and it says it is the same yesteday, today and forever. so, whatever ur point maybe, supporting either the new testament or old, it is the word of God and it remains the same
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by dupsygal: 1:53pm On Jan 07, 2010
wish i cld read thru ds thread, but i got the gist from page 1, God help us all, maybe we shld jst read our bibles and practice its simple words rather than trying to coin some of our own wink
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 1:54pm On Jan 07, 2010
Your name DUPE
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by dupsygal: 2:07pm On Jan 07, 2010
ogajim, what about it? smiley
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ogajim(m): 2:13pm On Jan 07, 2010
dupsygal:

ogajim, what about it? smiley

Just checking here.

No one is saying you should not give to your Church whatever you desire to give them on a scheduled basis, the belief that one is someone required to pay God before God blesses them is wrong=modern sale of indulgence no wonder Nigerian politicos get the front seats in some of these "Churches"

Tony-tithe must be stuck in Greece digging for ancient but unjustified scrolls that supports fleecing the flock so there are others to pick up the slack in the meantime.

OUR GOD CANNOT BE FOOLED!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Zikkyy(m): 5:33pm On Jan 07, 2010
dupsygal:

wish i cld read thru ds thread, but i got the gist from page 1, God help us all, maybe we shld jst read our bibles and practice its simple words rather than trying to coin some of our own wink

A good number of people have their pastor as their decision maker. Maybe it’s because it appears easy and stress free or maybe it’s lack of confidence in our abilities. Not having control of the decisions we make has it disadvantages. I wish you practice what you preach. Please take some time off to read the bible and let’s have your view. Copy & paste from Tom Brown will not suffice here.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by dupsygal: 5:41pm On Jan 07, 2010
ds is your reply, i knw and belief wat i knw and i dnt think i ve to proof or be proved wrong by u guys to hold fast to my faith here. Tom Brown's msg is jst to help pass d msg across cos it reads wats on my mind and i put my opinion in brown at the end if u take your tym to read properly smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (41) (Reply)

The Most Powerful Spiritualist/herbalist In Nigeria.....+234867395768 / Chima Ikwunado: Apostle Chibuzor Chinyere Gifts Mini Estate Apartment To Wife / Letter To Daddy Freeze — From A 16-Year-Old Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.