Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,045 members, 7,810,864 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:16 PM

Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? (31329 Views)

Why Do Muslim Females Make Very Beautiful Hairstlyles To Eventually Cover It Up? / If 72 Virgins Are Giving To Muslim Men In Paradise(????)..whats For The Women? / Why Do Muslim Men Wear Short Trousers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 8:06pm On Dec 04, 2006
Havila lol . .i am not going anywhere wink

davidylan . .i am a muslim . .and i am proud to be one . .

women are not sexual tools . .as you say .Islam respects the woman .thats why women in Islam are veiled .we are taught to respect and obey our men . .

say whatever you have to say . .ok ,

i think this was what the poster was looking for . .
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:12pm On Dec 04, 2006
You guys are becoming quite malicious. The girl gave her answer, just because you arent pleased by it doesnt mean you should attack her.

You asked the question. She says it's because some want to be like the prophet in likeness, and you think that's stupid., Ok fine, it's stupid to you but that wasnt the question now was it?

Kinda like how I think it's idiotic that Catholics bow infront of "saint" statues to pray when the same Bible they read states that no man should worship a graven image but they do it anway dont they?
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Dec 04, 2006
How can someone say something malicious to Mukina? undecided , Ofcourse she's a thorn in the side of any ManU fan on this board.
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 8:17pm On Dec 04, 2006
thiefofhearts

on this religion board as long as you are a muslim you are attacked left right and center . .
so let them say . .really , i believe in my religion they believe in their's . .i dont attack them .let them do it . .
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:29pm On Dec 04, 2006
Unfortunately, I've noticed that Mukina. I like that you keep your cool though. Im the complete opposite.

Donzman:

Ofcourse she's a thorn in the side of any ManU fan on this board.

Lol as Im sure Arsenal fans are a thorn in her side. wink
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 8:37pm On Dec 04, 2006
actually i am an arsenal fan wink

i keep my cool cause i dont want them to get to me. . .
they can go on hating all they want . .
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:42pm On Dec 04, 2006
lol that came out wrong. I meant the same way Im sure ManU fans are a thorn in your side.

Anyway, that's cool Mukina. smiley
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by TayoD(m): 9:19pm On Dec 04, 2006
@Mukina,

No one is hating on you or any muslims for that matter.  Sometimes, the truth has to be told in a very indirect way to catch the attention of those deceived by lies.  Besides, confrontation is not hatred.  Jesus was a very confrontational personality in His days on earth, but He was and is still the epitome of Love. 

A lot of time on this forum, muslims have tried to tell us that Islam is a religion of logic.  Well, prove it to us is all we are asking.
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by Aggressa(m): 9:20pm On Dec 04, 2006
@Mukina2
Hi there, my sister. So you are a Arsenal fan too,,,,,that's soooo cool; at least we have something in common grin. But Mukina, what I will continue to tell you is that nobody is attacking you as a person or as a woman or girl wink whichever; any opinion on a particular ideology or any belief cannot be considered offensive at all. Why? faith or belief is an "opinion" and your opinion can be countered, questioned, ridiculed, or supported, etc in a public debate whether you are happy with it or not. It is not you being 'attacked' as you like putting it. Getting offended with that will simply get you in a perpetual state of anger, which is called intolerance.
BTW, being as Arsenal fan, you must be smart, so choose your friends wisely, girl.
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 9:31pm On Dec 04, 2006
Tayod i am not decieved by lies . . .

havila its happens all the time thats why i run away from this board for a while grin

yeah am a gunner chick for real kiss
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by Aggressa(m): 9:57pm On Dec 04, 2006
@Mukina2,
I am not surprised you ran away, nobody is attacking you but expressing opinion on the ideology called Islam. If you run away because you dont like the diverget opinion, well it's your right but will you run everytime you are opposed or use the opportunity to 'educate' us for what we do not know?
A dialogue does not mean we must agree or soot each others sensibilities, freedom of speech included freedom to offend, depending on what is offensive.
E.g it is offensive to say something 'negative' about a person's race because we are born as a particular race; but you were not born a muslim nor myself a christian, we were simply born into a particular family and then ascribe or adopt the religion of that family i.e muslim or "nominal" christianity. When you grow up or understand, you continue or decide not to or get better understanding. Additionally, I can then decide to become a 'born-again Christian" when I get better understanding of what it really means to be a Christian. So being a muslim or christian is an individual opinion; therefore my comment on or about that "opinion" is not a comment about you, it is just an attempt to reason or be logical on the ideology you profess in a particular faith or opinion. Why must we reason? (1) We are adults (2) That's why we have a brain.
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 10:10pm On Dec 04, 2006
i didnt run away i am here
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Dec 04, 2006
the muslim response to criticism

Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by gbadex1(m): 10:17am On Dec 05, 2006
^ checked in. . .

Another Arsenal fan in the house.

O2/Emirates for life, mayne.
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by TayoD(m): 4:42pm On Dec 05, 2006
@Mukina2,

I was just wondering if muslim men do have an advantage over the women in terms of pleasing Allah since they are the only ones endowed with the natural abilities to grow beards (save for some tribes in naija where the women can compete with men over growing beards grin).

Also, to what extent is this imitation acceptable. Do our African muslim brothers have to bleach their skins like micheal jackson to look like Mohammed? And why is there an apparent contradiction where the prophet can't be drawn by cartoonist, which in my opinion creates pictures that your men can look at and imitate to become better Mohammedians? Can you explain these contradictions or would you just let it go?

And are the women also encouraged to be and look more like Aisha? Will they go to war to fight and kill like her too?
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by goodguy(m): 7:43pm On Dec 05, 2006
mukina2:

no offence intended but i saw this topic on an islamic forum

If you're implying that I got this topic from an Islamic forum, then you're greatly mistaken.

mukina2:

i think this was what the poster was looking for . .

Honestly, this is not what the poster was looking for.  He innocently asked the question out of curiousity after reading some posts made by babyosisi and Olabowale concerning beard keeping on the page 2 of the thread, "The bounties of Jannat".  I do not attack Muslims, I never do.  If there's anywhere on this forum where I attacked any Muslim, as regards this issue of religion, please let me know, and I'll apologize.

It is true that I only wanted to know why Muslim men wear long beards, but after reading your replies, I felt the reasons were not reasonable enough, and that was why I asked for the significance.

Even from the "significance" you supposedly posted on the previous page still failed to highlight the significance of beard keeping, but only mentioned why it should be kept -- because the Prophet did so.  Why did the Prophet do so?  You have failed to answer this question, and this still keeps me more curious than ever. It seems to me no one of the Muslim men really knows why, yet all blindly follow. I actually find that preposterous, sorry to say.

If you do not have the answer to my question and you humbly accept that you really do not know, I'll understand.  Even I do not have all the answers to all Christian practises.

One more thing:
b) Some people argue that to trim the beard (to an unlawful extent) or to shave is only a minor sin.

One should always keep in mind that no sin can be dismissed, nor can one say that minor sins do not affect a persons outcome in the hereafter. A sin, no matter what it is, is still a sin and only Allah can forgive sins.

Why should sin be associated at all with beard keeping?
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 9:49pm On Dec 05, 2006
TayoD:

@Mukina2,
Also, to what extent is this imitation acceptable. Do our African muslim brothers have to bleach their skins like micheal jackson to look like Muhammad?

you are being sarcastic now . .they are following the humble ways of the prophet . .

TayoD:

And why is there an apparent contradiction where the prophet can't be drawn by cartoonist, which in my opinion creates pictures that your men can look at and imitate to become better Mohammedians? Can you explain these contradictions or would you just let it go?

that cartoonist was ridiculing out prophet and that is wrong .we worship and obey Allah , and Muhammad (saw) is the prophet of Allah so therefore he must never be subjected to such madness , mind you we dont joke with our religion . .that can never be a way to show muslims how to follow in the footsteps of the prophet

TayoD:

And are the women also encouraged to be and look more like Aisha? Will they go to war to fight and kill like her too?

we are encouraged to be pious and humble . .we dont have to go to war to fight or kill no one . .muslim women veil as it is wriiten in the holy Quran as a fard,
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by TayoD(m): 10:01pm On Dec 05, 2006
@Mukina2,

Of course I am being sarcastic. Atimes, it serves as a good way of revealing a very obvious loop-hole in a statement disguised as universal truth. How does wearing a beard show humility? You are sinking yourself deeper in quick-sand. Like someone advised, you might be better off saying you have no clue rather than try to defend the indefensible. In any case, you are yet to answer my question.

Agreed that the Cartoonist were actually mocking the Prophet. However, Islam expressly forbids the depiction of Mohammed in any form of painting or art and that is a clear contradiction to those who feel like they have to look like him as much as possible. In both cases, the subject is only drawing attention to Mohammed. And why are Muslims so irked whenver Mohammed is ridiculed? Why don't they do the same if Jesus, Abraham or any of the other real Prophets that the Qu'ran also acknowledges? Aren't they turning Mohammed into a god?

So tell me, do you think Aisha also wore that veil to the battle field, or was there an exception to that?
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 10:08pm On Dec 05, 2006
goodguy:

If you're implying that I got this topic from an Islamic forum, then you're greatly mistaken.
did i? i just  saw it on an Islamic forum

goodguy:

If you do not have the answer to my question and you humbly accept that you really do not know, I'll understand.  Even I do not have all the answers to all Christian practises.

i know more than enough to call myself a muslim . .but it seems you  but hey never mind . .

and for the record we do not follow blindly . .and if i was  hot-headed that would have turned this into  something else . . but  you knew what this kind of topics did to the board .they're are some people thar are always waiting for topics like this to spring up . .
even if what i posted as you said didnt satisfy ur requirements . .didnt you have to be more .well anyways its all good . .
whether i can help or not . .i know my religion
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 10:18pm On Dec 05, 2006
look i am not sinking myself in to any quick sand .the hatred for my religion is so evident among you guys that it doesnt faze me any more .
Muhammed (saw) is not a god neither is he being turned into one . .he's our messenger to Allah . .ther is no God but Allah and Muhammad (saw) is his messenger . .we follow in his ways and respect him .why must someone ridicule him?
Anabi Issa (as)is also a Propher agreed but MUhammed (saw0 is the seal of all Prophets .plus most christians worship him . .muslims never ridicule Him ,
we respect him cuz he's among the prophets.i should be asking you if the christians want to turn him into a god? ever tried asking catholics how they would feel is someone was ridiculing Mariam?

there is not an exception to anything!
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by TayoD(m): 10:29pm On Dec 05, 2006
@Mukina2,

It's your choice to interprete our sceptism of your religion as hatred for it. But it just doesn't make sense, nor is it spiritually logical to have someone regard himself as the "seal of the prophets" when his message is diametrically opposed to the messages of the true Prophets that came before Him. besides, Jesus said on the cross that "It is finished" so I really don't know what message or addition to the work of salvation that Mohammed came to do.

So the fact that you regard Mohammed as the seal of the Prophets now means people can go on mad rampage at the mere ridiculing of Mohammed? Was he also a victim of inferiority complex such that every opposition to him must be met by violence? Jesus is being mocked everyday, and even in so-called christian countries but no one is spitting out fire and brimstone. Why the militant tendencies of the adherents of Islam?

I know we are derailing the thread a litlle bit, but I can assure you that if you say any thing about Mary, Jesus or the Pope, Christians would rather pray for you than declare a fatwah for your head like Khomeni and co did for the guy who wrote the book "Satanic verses".

But the fact still remains tha the only thing that drives and keeps Islam alive is blind fanatism fueled by outright ignorance. Now that is my opinion.
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:33pm On Dec 05, 2006
Good to see that a pseudo-"innocent" question about beards has turned to this.

Here's a question, what's the difference between Muslims getting pissed off at a cartoon making fun of Muhammed and Catholics going ape-crazy (even Frank Sinatra threatened to slap her the next time he were to see her)when Sinead O'Connor tore up a picture of the pope?

By all means please tell me the difference, keep in mind Sinead actually had a legitimate reason for what she did.
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 10:37pm On Dec 05, 2006
mind you its all of us that are fanatics . .i am a practicin muslim but i am not a fantic neither is anyone in my family .
we are all practicin muslims . .and we believe in the 5 pillars of Islam . .

yeah thats the christians maybe they enjoy it when someone ridicules them but we dont . .and we would do all we can to stop it . .

my sister ask him o . .if it had been a muslim it would have been a topic on this board
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by goodguy(m): 10:56pm On Dec 05, 2006
mukina2:

i know more than enough to call myself a muslim . .but it seems you but hey never mind . .

The comment you made here contradicts this very one. You cunningly admitted that you really do not know much about the practises of Islam because it's more about men, and that you are a woman. But here, in your attempt to bring me down, you are saying the opposite. It's all good.

mukina2:

even if what i posted as you said didnt satisfy your requirements . .didnt you have to be more .well anyways its all good . .

I didn't have to be more what?
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mukina2: 11:03pm On Dec 05, 2006
mr i said i know more than enough to call myself am uslim ,. that doesnt mean that i know it all.
i didnt attempt to bring you down . .infact i never try to do that to people anuwhere on this forum . .but if i did as you said i am sorry sad

i guess i should be the one to say that you were tryin to bring me down . .i tried to answer you the best way possible as a muslim but it seems like you didnt appreciate it . you just lashed out and condemned what i posted . .its all good anyway .
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by goodguy(m): 11:04pm On Dec 05, 2006
ThiefOfHearts:

Here's a question, what's the difference between Muslims getting pissed off at a cartoon making fun of Muhammed and Catholics going ape-crazy (even Frank Sinatra threatened to slap her the next time he were to see her)when Sinead O'Connor tore up a picture of the pope?

By all means please tell me the difference, keep in mind Sinead actually had a legitimate reason for what she did.

Here's a question:  Which one of the two incidents attracted violence, even outside of the country where it happened, that eventually led to the loss of hundreds (or thousands??) of lives?

mukina2:

yeah thats the christians maybe they enjoy it when someone ridicules them but we don't . .and we would do all we can to stop it . .

No one enjoys being ridiculed.  But then, we mustn't show our dissatisfaction through violence.
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by Seun(m): 11:09pm On Dec 05, 2006
Offtopic comments. Topic locked. Mukina2 and Goodguy should try to be friends. kiss
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by goodguy(m): 10:36pm On Dec 17, 2006
Topic unlocked. Yay!!!

So now, where were we? cool
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by Aggressa(m): 10:57pm On Dec 17, 2006
,,,that it is 'sunnah' to wear a beard simply because muhammed does ;but they do not know why muhammed does. We ask but the answer is it is 'sunnah' again. So, back to "circular reasoning" again as usual.
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by Nobody: 12:26am On Dec 18, 2006
Havila:

,,,that it is 'sunnah' to wear a beard simply because muhammed does ;but they do not know why muhammed does. We ask but the answer is it is 'sunnah' again. So, back to "circular reasoning" again as usual.

. . . and that since it is sunnah to wear a beard simply because mohammed did, the government of the Islamic republic of Nigeria must order all Nigerian males to wear a beard since it is the duty of the government to "enhance the religious activities" of the citizens, even though wearing a beard is supposed to be a voluntary religious obligation but since we really do not understand why mohammed wore the beard we will just keep copying and pasting from extremist websites to prove our nebulous points . . .
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by mrpataki(m): 3:21pm On Dec 18, 2006
Why do they wear long Beards?

Of course each aspires to be the 12th Imam in the making!
Re: Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards? by olabowale(m): 4:29pm On Dec 18, 2006
@All: The undisputed book of authority for the Muslims, is (1) Al Qur'an Kariim. All the words comes directly from Allah the Almighty. In the Qur'an Allah talks about those who were changing their natural appearance. The obvious diffence between male and female is the beard and other physiological elements. Also, from the Qur'an Muhammad was told that he has from the prophets before him, starting from Adam (AS) to Jesus (AS), a people of good examples.We all know that there is no record that indicate any of these previous prophets (AS), ever shaved their beard at anytime. Infact, some of them never cut his beard. Moses was a good example. Jesus was described to have long wet looking long hair and of course wearing a beard.

Further the Qur'an tells the Muslims that they have good example in the prophet. In another verse, Muslims are told to obey Allah and the messenger so that they can achieve success. In another verse, still, the muslims are told that whatever Muhammad (AS) permits or allows or commands, muslims should take it and whatever he forbids, muslims should avoid. So when in the Adith, the book of Sunnah, the second authority of Islam, which explains what the Qur'anic verses mean, as the companions of the prophet asked about them, you will see that the prophet says to the males: Grow your beard and let it go long, but trim your moustache to be different from the Jews and the Christians. Indeed, in those days, men grew beard. The act of shaving of the face, without a cogent reason is considered as if one is acting like a female. It almost holds a similar conotation as male earring!

I wear beard as a young man for fashion. Now I wear it for obedience to Allah and the Messenger (AS). My beard is long enough that you will know that I am a muslim. I had left it as long as over One foot before and of course continued it for many years after the 911 incedence.
The benefi that I have seen in it is that it part of male defination. Beard enhances sexual prowess. In my next entry on this subject, I will provide the refences of a test and finding by a writer/health conscious individual who is not even a muslim in Germany. Do you remember Samson and Delilah?

For example Muhammad (AS) informed us that Jibril (AS), came to him and informed him that when ever he performs ablution (The washing of the parts for the preparation of prayer or reading of Qur'an), he should upon washing of the feet, to cup some water and wet his beard with it. I do that now, from the moment I learnt about it. Muhammad told us that when we make this ablution, every drop of water that drips off our body , is a sign that our sins are dropping off and being wiped off from our record. We all know that humans commit a good amount of sins per day. Muhammad (AS) said that the one who takes shower 5 times a day will be cleaner with less stain on his body than the one who does not take shower, daily. Obedience to Allah, include the following whatever Muhammad commands you. Allah says in the Qur'an; If you love Me, obey Muhammad and Allah will love you back and make your path straight and put your afairs aright.

@TayoD: Muhammad did require anybody to change his appearance for him. He was not egotestical. There were black males and females, both young and adult in him companions (RA). Bleaching of skin is a cosmetic medical modification of your person. It is almost like the surgery without any medical need to it or it does have any implication to well beingness. Infact, one should be grateful for however you look. God says in the Qur'an that He made man from the best mold. This means individual person is better looking and worth more to Allah than moon or any other created object and indeed allof them combined.

Note: I deliberately used the Moon to iconoclastically destroy the foolish statement of the enemies of Islam in their claim that we worship moon! What an ignominy!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Would You Prefer To Live In An Islamic Country? / Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use / Things Your Muslim Wife Wont Tell You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.