Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,058 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:37 AM

Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? (11721 Views)

Gani Fawehinmi's Son Slams SW Governors Over Alleged Underperformance / Buhari's Victory Celebration At Gani Fawehinmi Freedom Park In Ojota, Lagos / "May IBB Die A Violent Death"- Gani Fawehinmi’s Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by courage89(m): 5:32pm On Sep 05, 2009
RIP Gani
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by asha80(m): 5:36pm On Sep 05, 2009
One great obstacle out of the way of politicians and Nigerian government in general. sad
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by samstels: 5:45pm On Sep 05, 2009
The great legal Icon lived a life worth emulating,he sacrificed a lot for the poor masses,Assuming he was not opposing and checking the excesses of the corrupt and evil political class ,by now our great nation would have sunk into oblivion.

You fought a great battle ,in the war front called nigeria and by all standards you achieved victory ,your legacy will remain with us and generations yet to come .

Adieu the great one,hope your great chamber remains a legal museum for the yet unborn freedom fighters.

May your soul rest in peace.

AMEN.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by topeorekoy(m): 5:46pm On Sep 05, 2009
r.i.p. the man of the masses. may ur rugged soul rest in peace.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by mamagee6(f): 5:48pm On Sep 05, 2009
May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by Remii(m): 5:49pm On Sep 05, 2009
Subuhanallah!  Ina lilah wahi nali lehi raji hun. From God we came and to him is our return. May Allah accept his soul and overlook his short comings. May He give the family the fortitude to the great loss.

Adieu Gani,  cry cry cry cry,
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Sep 05, 2009
RIP . . . Nigeria loses another fighter. We're left with the morally bankrupt.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by Recognise: 5:57pm On Sep 05, 2009
[size=16pt]Gani Fawehinmi[/size]
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[img]http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg&STREAMOID=dPbU0lNL2CjJLcN__jn2lS6SYeqqxXXqBcOgKOfTXxRub83Hct13g2t82oQGYYRQwLkdkNm4NaK1iliY4aRX7GEabxkeoo57KN3LcI4Be79xyJSXHeyn6i9C8rc3E0xoX_kuXYWCUJRqviwH8FNPwULIcdFM9zupuYHBJc2ySZk-[/img]

Early life

Fawehinmi, popularly called Gani, was born on 22 April 1938, into the Fawehinmi family of Ondo, in Ondo State and died on the 5th of September 2009 at age 71.

His father, Chief Saheed Tugbobo Fawehinmi, the Seriki Musulumi of Ondo was a successful timber magnate, a great philanthropist, an opponent of excessive taxation of the poor and a deeply religious muslim leader. He was reported to have brought Islam to Ondo Town. Chief Saheed Tugbobo Fawehinmi died on 5 February 1963 at the age of 89 years.

Gani's grand father was the Late Chief Lisa Alujanu Fawehinmi of Ondo, who engaged in several successful battles for and on behalf of the Ondo people in the nineteenth century. Hence, the appellation the 'Alujanun', which means spirit. He died at the age of 92.

Gani had his early education at Ansar-Ud-Deen Primary School, Iyemaja - Ondo from 1947 to 1953 and his secondary school education at Victory College Ikare, a Christian School from 1954 to 1958, under the leadership of the Late Rev. Akinrele where he sat for and passed his West African School Certificate Examination in 1958.

Law Student

Gani enrolled at the Holborn College of Law- University of London to read law in 1961. While at University, his father died. He completed his degree in London with a measure of difficulty due to lack of funds(From his father). This involved doing various menial jobs in London.

While in college, he was popularly known as "Nation" because of his passionate interest in national, legal and political affairs. He was an avid reader of Daily Times and West African Pilot, the most popular newspapers at that time.

In 1993 Fawehinmi was awarded the biennial Bruno Kreisky Prize. This prize, named in honour of Bruno Kreisky, is awarded to international figures who advance human rights causes. In 1998, he received the International Bar Association's Bernard Simmons Award in recognition of his human-rights and pro-democracy work. In 1994 he and some other notable Nigerians formed the National Conscience Party of Nigeria which exists till today and he stood for a presidential election in 2003 under the umbrella of the National Conscience Party.

Gani Fawehinmi became a holder of the Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) the highest legal title in Nigeria in September, 2001

Critic of Military Dictatorship and Corruption

With his boundless energy he tenaciously and uncompromisingly pursues and crusades his beliefs, principles and ideals for the untrammelled rule of law, undiluted democracy, all embracing and expansive social justice, protection of fundamental human rights and respect for the hopes and aspirations of the masses who are victims of misgovernance of the affairs of the Nation.

Dele Giwa

In 1986, while Chief Gani Fawehinmi was Dele Giwa's Lawyer, the latter was killed in a bomb blast under suspicious circumstances .

As a result of his activities chief Gani Fawehinmi, had been arrested, detained and charged to court several times. His international passport was seized on many occasions and his residence and Chambers were searched several times. He was beaten up time after time and was deported from one part of the country to another to prevent him from being able to effectively reach out to the masses among whom he was popular. His books were confiscated by the Federal Military Government and his library at Surulere , a suburb of Lagos were set ablaze. His law Chambers at Anthony Village, Lagos State, were invaded by persons suspected to be agents of the government 26 August 1994. The guards were shot,seriously wounding two of them.

In the process of his crusades for the rule of law, the hopes and aspirations of the poor and the oppressed, he fought many battles against military dictatorship as a result of which he had been arrested several times by the military governments and its numerous security agents. He was dumped in many police cells and detained in several prisons between 1969 and 1996.

His supporters have called him "the scourge of irresponsible governments, a sphygmomanometer with which the blood pressure of dictators is gauged, the veritable conscience of the nation and the champion of the interests and causes of the masses".

His promotion to becoming the Senior Advocate of the country was delayed as a way to victimise him. Eventually, he got the award in 2003 i.e. the Senior Advocate of Nigeria.

Rejection of National Award

In 2008 Mr Gani Fawehinmi rejected the highest order that can be bestowed on a citizen by the Nigeria government—Order of the Federal Republic(OFR)—in protest of the many years of misrule since Nigeria's independence.

Many Nigerians call him the people's president.

Death

Gani, as he is fondly called, died in the early hours of 05 September 2009 after a prolonged battle with Cancer. He was 71 years old.

for SOURCE: Click here

RIP . . .
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by lawmanlala(m): 6:04pm On Sep 05, 2009
He fought for the masses, he will forever be remembered. May his gentle soul rest in peace
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by dinggle: 6:05pm On Sep 05, 2009
If they had allow him to be president he would still be alive, afterall yaradull is still alive cos he is the president and has access to life hanging machine!
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by fidelio(m): 6:06pm On Sep 05, 2009
, Inna liLLahi wa inna ilaihi raji'uun, May Allah grant him peace & have mercy on him, amiin,
Nigeria will surely miss him, a rare gem, voice of the masses, the true SAN of our time !
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by tems777: 6:09pm On Sep 05, 2009
Let me join all the other honourable Nairalanders in bidding farewell to the human right activist of our generation.
Baba we will miss you sorely , The Lord granted you wisdom and ability to defend the hepless and the down-trodden and you used them greatly.
May God bless your family and give them the fortitude to bear the loss. Amen
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by bros1234(m): 6:14pm On Sep 05, 2009
He came. He saw. He tried to conquer, though couldn't finish it. Its our turn to carry on from where he stopped. Good night Gani
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by osbar67: 6:25pm On Sep 05, 2009
Restin Peace Chief Gani!!
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by Nija4Life(m): 6:30pm On Sep 05, 2009
A true Nigerian, a great man and selfless leader, May God bless your soul
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by hackney(m): 6:31pm On Sep 05, 2009
what?!!!!
We just lost the last decent man in that country.
Adieu sir. cry cry

Now who will speak for the masses? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by bigben3: 6:33pm On Sep 05, 2009
adieu Gani!
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by theviper1: 6:35pm On Sep 05, 2009
a great loss to the ever oppressed nigerian poor masses. we will surely miss him;may the good Lord grant his fighting soul eternal rest in his bossom; and like i keep saying,we have too many unsung heros in nigeria who are not fighting for their names to be immortalised cos they have alredy done that in our hearts. is there any1 out there who will object to Ganis name being called by anything or place in nigeria? he was an epitomy of a selfless man and an example to all of us.
             ADIEU MY MAN.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by OyingboNG: 6:36pm On Sep 05, 2009
Hello Everybody!

Dis na my first post for this site. When I dey small small pekin I don live for Lagos, Nigeria. God bless Nigeria! And all her people! I love Nigeria and her people with all my heart. I go never forget am for this world or the next!

What I won say is that I dey very very sad o, that from decade to decade na corrupt government dey come and go. No matter what government i dey, Na good Nigerian people i dey suffer suffer daily. Na big 'big man' for Abuja i go talk say "we go implement na plan, we go reform na constitution, we go alleviate suffering and build infrastructure for na 21st century" Na so them dey talk. I don leave Nigeria as a thirteen year old boy for 1980. Since that time I always try to keep up my interest in Nigerian affairs. Now I don get grey for my beard. Ah Ah!

What is the condition to save Nigeria O?

I hope I can make good friends here. God bless, and save us all!

Johnny
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by OyingboNG: 6:38pm On Sep 05, 2009
We need more like him. R.I.P.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by GeorgeD1(m): 6:47pm On Sep 05, 2009
more like people gani. yes!
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by RichyBlacK(m): 6:50pm On Sep 05, 2009
OyingboNG:

Hello Everybody!

Dis na my first post for this site. When I dey small small pekin I don live for Lagos, Nigeria. God bless Nigeria! And all her people! I love Nigeria and her people with all my heart. I go never forget am for this world or the next!

What I won say is that I dey very very sad o, that from decade to decade na corrupt government dey come and go. No matter what government i dey, Na good Nigerian people i dey suffer suffer daily. Na big 'big man' for Abuja i go talk say "we go implement na plan, we go reform na constitution, we go alleviate suffering and build infrastructure for na 21st century" Na so them dey talk. I don leave Nigeria as a thirteen year old boy for 1980. Since that time I always try to keep up my interest in Nigerian affairs. Now I don get grey for my beard. Ah Ah!

What is the condition to save Nigeria O?

I hope I can make good friends here. God bless, and save us all!

Johnny

OyingboNG,

No worry, you get plenty friends for hia. Welcome!
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by OyingboNG: 6:55pm On Sep 05, 2009
RichyBlack,

Thankyou very much. Let's keep in touch!

Johnny smiley
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by GeorgeD1(m): 7:01pm On Sep 05, 2009
abi? wink
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by thithi(f): 7:02pm On Sep 05, 2009
Oh my God, Nigeria has lost a Legend, a gem and a true Nigerian.
May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by kool919: 7:04pm On Sep 05, 2009
On behalf of the entire staff of MOTEL ONDO PLAZA, ondo, we regret the passing away of our
father,mentor,leader,philantrophist,   may his gentle soul rest in perfect peace. adeiu gani. sad sad sad[color=Black][/color]
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by GeorgeD1(m): 7:06pm On Sep 05, 2009
rest his soul cry
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by anonimi: 7:06pm On Sep 05, 2009
I thank God for Gani's exemplary life and the inspiration he has been for others to follow in his footsteps.
May his dream of a Nigeria where the rule of law reigns supreme be realised sooner than later as many young Nigerians rise up to fill the vacuum left by his demise- Amen
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by akigbemaru: 7:15pm On Sep 05, 2009
R.I.P. Gani. F, my condolence to your family. Who's got next to fight for the masses? I think it's Oliseh Agbakoba smiley
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by CrudeOil2(m): 7:15pm On Sep 05, 2009
The saddest news I have recieved this year after the death of MJ. Nigeria has lost someone so special. The death of Gani was the death of an era, he was the last of a dying breed. Gani's death should be a very tough challenge to partriots in our country. He was a brave warrior, a man that lived his whole life fighting negativity from military dictatorships, to social injustices and lastly cancer. He has left an indellible mark in the lives of those who love justice and fairness. Gani you were loved by millions and you would surely be missed.
Goodbye Sir.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by uzoma123(m): 7:20pm On Sep 05, 2009
My Chief, we know u are not dead. How can u die when your spirit lives on through your writings, struggles and sacrifices. U died fighting against oppression and injustice. I want to assure you that what u fought for with the instrument of the law will be achieved fully with a bloody revolution. You died honorably but most of these vampires will die shamefully that I want to assure u. Your death has emboldened us.

Adieu! my Role Model.

May your soul rest in perfect peace.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Passed On? by TOPE20001(f): 7:27pm On Sep 05, 2009
RIP cry
May your soul rest in peace

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Screening Of Ministerial Nominees Begins On Oct 13 / Abubakar Sidiq Usman To Contest For APC National Publicity Secretary (Photos) / Presidency Denies Expelling DSS Officials Fro Aso Rock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.