Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,368 members, 7,812,054 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:22 AM

Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia - Foreign Affairs (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia (59288 Views)

Military Coup In Zimbabwe: Zim Army Announcer "It Has Moved To Another Level" / Photos Of People Against The Coup In Turkey / Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by BetaThings: 1:01am On Jul 16, 2016
OohLalah:
'it really goin' down in the DM, 2016!

knowing fully well these Muslims are as mad as hell and will turn their sick anger against everyone and everything.

This is really self diagnosis
When was the last time a Muslim country interfered in the matters of a mostly Christian country?
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Appleyard(m): 1:01am On Jul 16, 2016
50calibre:

And how are you certain of that? Don't be silly.

You think it's a coincidence few weeks ago Erdogan tried to mend fences with Russia?

He obviously could sense power fleeing from his grasp.

A coup isn't an impromptu action, it takes time and planning, alliances has to be formed. This coup is as a result of a combination of both internal & external factors.

Don't be surprise when Russia becomes the first to recognise a new military government

Tell them.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Ugosample(m): 1:03am On Jul 16, 2016
Turco:
Dear People of Nairaland,

Hello from Turkey. I am Turkish National, living in Turkey. I've been following this forum for more than 2 months and I've been being a member of this forum for more than 2 weeks. I just wanted to state a comment here. There are 81 cities in Turkey and this attempt is happening only in 2 cities of country. Ex-president is on air, and he says; ''Turkey is neither a Latin American country nor an African country. There will be no coup in this country. This is just an attempt from bunch of soldiers who are minority in army.'' This is very unusual to Turkish democracy. We have no idea what is going on at the moment but usual life is still going on. We're just watching TV channels and following Twitter about the situation. So everyone must calm down. Nothing is happening. We can be against the government or with the government but we're all against the coup. Current president, current prime minister, current head of parliament was on air. In a coup, it is not possible. So, we're just watching the news. You can ask anything you want.

That man is talking like coups haven't happened in Turkey before cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Turco: 1:04am On Jul 16, 2016
Ugosample:

That man is talking like coups haven't happened in Turkey before cheesy

Yeah, it happened. 36 years ago. Ever since I was born. wink

1 Like

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Ugosample(m): 1:05am On Jul 16, 2016
Turco:

Yeah, it happened. 36 years ago. Ever since I was born. wink
So coup is not impossible
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by NairaMinted: 1:07am On Jul 16, 2016
Turco:
Dear People of Nairaland,

Hello from Turkey. I am Turkish National, living in Turkey. I've been following this forum for more than 2 months and I've been being a member of this forum for more than 2 weeks. I just wanted to state a comment here. There are 81 cities in Turkey and this attempt is happening only in 2 cities of country. Ex-president is on air, and he says; ''Turkey is neither a Latin American country nor an African country. There will be no coup in this country. This is just an attempt from bunch of soldiers who are minority in army.'' This is very unusual to Turkish democracy. We have no idea what is going on at the moment but usual life is still going on. We're just watching TV channels and following Twitter about the situation. So everyone must calm down. Nothing is happening. We can be against the government or with the government but we're all against the coup. Current president, current prime minister, current head of parliament was on air. In a coup, it is not possible. So, we're just watching the news. You can ask anything you want.

What's the situation now? Seems the mutineers are being suppressed? What's the mood out there?
What future does Erdogan have?

1 Like

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by OohLalah(f): 1:08am On Jul 16, 2016
Shym3xx:

Reports are still fluid and you can't really say where the coup came from. If it had been from the west, they would've told him to leave the country immediately. Even the gulf states have been quiet thus far. I think it took everyone by surprise.

He'll be lucky to survive this.

I disagree, the US knew about this. The fact that they decided to not even condemn this act, says a lot. They say they will sit tight and watch a nato country under fire?

They cannot stand betrayal by turkey especially having positive talks with Putinn. They had to act quickly.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Turco: 1:09am On Jul 16, 2016
Ugosample:

So coup is not impossible

It was the year Soviet Union was still alive. So, it is impossible at the moment. At the last time there was a coup in Turkey, my father was in university and there was not even a TV in some cities, so it is not possible. People unite on online against coup. It is that simple and that is stays as an attempt. wink
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by tdayof(m): 1:09am On Jul 16, 2016
csamii:

NATO doesn't respond to internal crisis.
NATO will, however it depends on the outcome of the coup.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Appleyard(m): 1:10am On Jul 16, 2016
Shym3xx:

Reports are still fluid and you can't really say where the coup came from. If it had been from the west, they would've told him to leave the country immediately. Even the gulf states have been quiet thus far. I think it took everyone by surprise.

He'll be lucky to survive this.

Am not saying categorically that the coup was by the west, but there is no denying the fact that they knew about it, given the proximity of Turkey's role in the Syria brouhaha. The man. didn't just tried to make amend so suddenly and desperately with the likes of Putin. He must have gotten wind of it, but they left him in the cold.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Turco: 1:12am On Jul 16, 2016
NairaMinted:

What's the situation now? Seems the mutineers are being suppressed? What's the mood out there?
What future does Erdogan have?

Erdogan was on air on CNN Turk. He was calm and said there is not an attempt from head of the military forces which is tied to Erdogan. He said it was just minority of security forces who was trying to overthrow him. Mood is the same. Nothing changed. I have no idea what is going on tomorrow morning.

1 Like

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Ugosample(m): 1:12am On Jul 16, 2016
But now, the army will now be bitterly divided
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Ugosample(m): 1:14am On Jul 16, 2016
Turco:

It was the year Soviet Union was still alive. So, it is impossible at the moment. At the last time there was a coup in Turkey, my father was in university and there was not even a TV in some cities, so it is not possible. People unite on online against coup. It is that simple and that is stays as an attempt. wink

Let's watch and see.
I still feel the coup has a chance of success.
Because the military in support of this coup are a sizeable number, and will not go down without giving it their all.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by ola4re(m): 1:15am On Jul 16, 2016
@thedailybeast: UPDATE: Erdogan reportedly denied asylum in Germany, now headed to London: http://thebea.st/29Jjp7b http://pic.twitter.com/QDs0ALxGrk
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by BetaThings: 1:17am On Jul 16, 2016
Turco:

Erdogan was on air on CNN Turk. He was calm and said there is not an attempt from head of the military forces which is tied to Erdogan. He said it was just minority of security forces who was trying to overthrow him. Mood is the same. Nothing changed. I have no idea what is going on tomorrow morning.

1. Is Gulen really involved?
2. What do the the coup plotters want?
3. Is anybody (eg the Kurds) happy with the coup attempt?
4. Are people really happy that Erdogan tried to reach agreement with Russia?
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Turco: 1:18am On Jul 16, 2016
OohLalah:

I disagree, the US knew about this. The fact that they decided to not even condemn this act, says a lot. They say they will sit tight and watch a nato country under fire?

They cannot stand betrayal by turkey especially having positive talks with Putinn. They had to act quickly.

First of all NATO country(Turkey) is not under fire. It is strange you people who are strangers think there is a real coup in Turkey. This is just an unrest from minority from army. It is unusual but, not difficult to deal. Head of the army supports elected government just like it must be. It is nothing about whether you're with Erdogan or against Erdogan. Everyone here in Turkey are against attempting coup. US has no idea about what is going on in Turkey and Turkey is the second most powerful army of NATO and does not take any orders from a foreign nation. I am Turkish National who bought something to drink from market and watching news. So everything is calmed down. No need for conspirancy theories.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by ola4re(m): 1:18am On Jul 16, 2016
Call to prayer ringing out all over Istanbul, asking people to come out and support the Government #TurkeyCoup #Turkey NO TO THE COUP
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by OohLalah(f): 1:22am On Jul 16, 2016
BetaThings:

This is really self diagnosis
When was the last time a Muslim country interfered in the matters of a mostly Christian country?

Read and understand very well, I said Muslim not Muslim countries. Muslims are all over the world and do not care whether you are ally of most of their countries when they want to declare Jihad. As a South African we have a lot of Muslim countries' allies but it didn't stop an isis, boko haram wanna be Muslim PAGAD from bombing a US restaurant in our country with South Africans in it but fortunately was stifled very swiftly by our then President Thabo Mbeki.

Whether you like it or not any country with Muslims in it is at risk.

1 Like

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by csamii: 1:23am On Jul 16, 2016
This amateur coup has been defeated. If they haven't got to Erdogan by now, I don't see them succeeding again and besides, police are now holding some soldiers.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by BetaThings: 1:25am On Jul 16, 2016
Turco:

It is nothing about whether you're with Erdogan or against Erdogan. Everyone here in Turkey are against attempting coup. U. No need for conspirancy theories.

Looks like you are right

Turkey coup: thousands take to streets to oppose military – live updates
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/15/turkey-coup-attempt-military-gunfire-ankara

Top Turkish official says coup attempt appears to have been unsuccessful, all government officials in charge of their offices.
https://twitter.com/AP?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Turkey coup: Live updates as '17 police killed' in attack by military trying to overthrow government
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/turkey-coup-live-updates-explosion-8431256
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Turco: 1:25am On Jul 16, 2016
BetaThings:

1. Is Gulen really involved?
2. What do the the coup plotters want?
3. Is anybody (eg the Kurds) happy with the coup attempt?
4. Are people really happy that Erdogan tried to reach agreement with Russia?

1. Everything about him is confidential. So I have no idea.
2. They announced from Turkish Radio and Television which is state channel that Erdogan is no longer secular and they took the control of country under secular orders.
3. I am against any discrimination about people. Whether they're Kurdish, Turkish, Swedish or Nigerian. But pro Kurdish party in parliament says they're with democracy against any coup.
4. Well, it depends on who you're. First of all some people here were angry to him because we shoot a Russian jet down. They were unhappy about it. Now they say when we were unhappy about it pro him people were criticizing us about our opinion. So, people came our mind at the moment. That's what they said. People from tourism business are very happy because most of their clients are from Russia.

Feel free to ask anything.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Appleyard(m): 1:26am On Jul 16, 2016
Missy89:

Lol. You are a very clueless person.
Not as clueless as you are...lol
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Ugosample(m): 1:26am On Jul 16, 2016
csamii:
This amateur coup has been defeated. If they haven't got to Erdogan by now, I don't see them succeeding again and besides, police are now holding some soldiers.

We are still following proceedings
Let us see what tomorrow will bring
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Nobody: 1:30am On Jul 16, 2016
scully95:

i guess you are right as well. 'wooing Putin' at the die minute when the deal is already being sealed. and here i am suspecting kerry's visit to moscow meeting with putin. i have a mixed feeling now that putin sealed that deal with kerry.

geopolitically, it's not a good deal if putin ever did that which i doubt because this is a victory to the west,nato,us which is also pushing the baltics against russia.

if there is one thing putin needs, it's the support of turkey and check it, erdogan has his shits stained everywhere.... if putin ever signed any deal which i still doubt, the west will always double down.

Watch how fast the West will denounce the coup if it shows any sign of failure and how they will maneuver like they did in Egypt if it suceeds.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by OohLalah(f): 1:31am On Jul 16, 2016
Turco:

First of all NATO country(Turkey) is not under fire. It is strange you people who are strangers think there is a real coup in Turkey. This is just an unrest from minority from army. It is unusual but, not difficult to deal. It is nothing about whether you're with Erdogan or against Erdogan. Everyone here in Turkey are against attempting coup. US has no idea about what is going on in Turkey and Turkey is the second most powerful army of NATO and does not take any orders from a foreign nation. I am Turkish National who bought couple of beers from market and watching news. So everything is calmed down. No need for conspirancy theories.

Bro, maybe you didn't understand me well. I am saying what the Pentagon has said in response to the attempted coup. I'm on your side. I hope the coup is not successful. But the US hopes it is. According to them your president has made internal and external enemies ( my guess US not happy with him) and they prefer and said they have better relations with Turkish army. Their words not mine.

Google RT news on you tube and hear it with your own ears.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by BetaThings: 1:31am On Jul 16, 2016
OohLalah:

Read and understand very well, I said Muslim not Muslim countries. Muslims are all over the world and do not care whether you are ally of most of their countries when they want to declare Jihad. As a South African we have a lot of Muslim countries' allies but it didn't stop an isis, boko haram wanna be Muslim PAGAD from bombing a US restaurant in our country with South Africans in it but fortunately was stifled very swiftly by our then President Thabo Mbeki.

Whether you like it or not any country with Muslims in it is at risk.

You are the one in need of comprehension of what you wrote
What is the history of South Africa, post apartheid? It is not really relevant
Because a few junkies are wreaking havoc, you have suddenly become an expert
Personally I am all for the extermination of those vermins - ISIS, BH etc
When did suicide bombing begin in Muslim countries? 1983

What led to that?

South Africans are generally more violent than Nigerians not because of their culture, but history
Nigerians would have been more militant in their approach to government activities if they had also fought a gruelling battle for independence
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by romme2u: 1:33am On Jul 16, 2016
things are calming down cheesy
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Turco: 1:36am On Jul 16, 2016
OohLalah:

Bro, maybe you didn't understand me well. I am saying what the Pentagon has said in response to the attempted coup. I'm on your side. I hope the coup is not successful. But the US hopes it is. According to them your president has made internal and external enemies ( my guess US not happy with him) and they prefer and said they have better relations with Turkish army. Their words not mine.

Google RT news on you tube and hear it with your own ears.

My mate, I got you very well. It is nothing about you. Hello from Turkey.

First of all we can be with Erdogan or without Erdogan but there are more than 70millions people in this country and they are all against coup and they don't care what is the response of US. Whether they are with the coup or against the coup. Turkey is not a banana republic. It can take its own decisions about country. This is what I want to say.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by OohLalah(f): 1:36am On Jul 16, 2016
BetaThings:

You are the one in need of comprehension of what you wrote
What is the history of South Africa, post apartheid? It is not really relevant
Because a few junkies are wreaking havoc, you have suddenly become an expert
Personally I am all for the extermination of those vermins - ISIS, BH etc
When did suicide bombing begin in Muslim countries? 1983

What led to that?

South Africans are generally more violent than Nigerians not because of their culture, but history
Nigerians would have been more militant in their approach to government activities if they had also fought a gruelling battle for independence

Hol'up with emotional outburst bra! We are not talking about apartheid or culture here but Islam. You have just proven my point. South Africans are violent than Nigerians but alas! Nigeria has Boko haram and SA doesn't. Are you
ok?

Modified** I didn't claim being an expert but just stated my opinion. Now just because you are a Muslim doesn't make you an expert either. Mind you SA has the most tolerant Muslim community in the world, eve to the extent of having a gay mosque in Cape Town.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by BetaThings: 1:37am On Jul 16, 2016
csamii:

You sound disappointed
What was the crime of the policemen killed by t he coup plotters?
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Turco: 1:37am On Jul 16, 2016
romme2u:
things are calming down cheesy

It was always calmed down. wink
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Ugosample(m): 1:37am On Jul 16, 2016
The (ex) president has landed in Turkey airport

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply)

Hamas Women Fighters Vs Israeli Women Fighters (Pics) / Zelensky Says 'We Realized That Ukraine Will Not Become A Member Of NATO' / Queen Elizabeth II Dies, Aged 96

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.