Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,104 members, 7,828,859 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:19 PM

Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS (52834 Views)

Ife Crisis: Why We Arrested Only Yoruba Suspects – IGP / Photos Of Governors' Wives And High Ranking Women At Zahra Buhari's Wedding / Why We Arrested Reuben Abati – EFCC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by patpeypey: 7:17pm On Oct 08, 2016
Sorry state of the nation. I don't know when DSS became EFCC or if a commando approach to arrest judges was ideal. It's just a sad sad for democracy. It's indefensible and undemocratic. Don't care about wailers or zombies just my country Nigeria. Such a sad day.
Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by obayaya(m): 7:17pm On Oct 08, 2016
tonyedouglas:

u should know with search warrant u can conduct the search at any point in time, night or day

I agree..

but in the middle of the night?

If the judge and I has a licensed gun. he can shoot the first DSS operative that enters my compound at such unholy hour and claim he thought they were robbers since such scenario is very common this days

He will only be charged with just manslaughter.

But the question is.. What's DSS's excuse for trying to "abduct" the judge at 1 am?

I'm interested in their excuse
Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by badman007(m): 7:20pm On Oct 08, 2016
NextGovernor:
This is rubbish... APC and DSS so useless. They cooked up this story to cover their tyrant and arm robber style of invasion that was condemn by Nigerians this morning. This is the kind of news zombies like to hear.....

Just too good to be true. A big fat lie.

You are your own enemy...

3 Likes

Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by wxyz1: 7:22pm On Oct 08, 2016
National Assembly should do the needful now. Or else he is coming for all of you. Very barbaric government taking Nigeria back to stone age. Nigeria court is ruling against you and even international court is ruling against you only media of propagandist is working for you, yet you are forming ultimate worior

1 Like

Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by CSTR2: 7:23pm On Oct 08, 2016
CecyAdrian:

Barca, warrant or no warrant, they are all guilty and should be rounded up in anyway possible. The same law has put us in this mess, it's high time FG wave it aside and do some necessary things.
The fact that you trust buhari with the power of dictatorship does not mean others do.
I along with millions of people don't and for good reasons.
Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by Spidermon: 7:24pm On Oct 08, 2016
khalhokage:
You say there was $2m in his house, then you also say that you were denied entry into the house and the money was taken away from the house, you never laid hands or eyes on this money but you know it was there and how much it was? OK ooooo

Now, why is the DSS raiding peoples homes in case of financial crimes? isn't that the job of the EFCC? OK ooooo

I dey feel you bro.
Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by badman007(m): 7:25pm On Oct 08, 2016
obayaya:

I agree..

but in the middle of the night?

If the judge and I has a licensed gun. he can shoot the first DSS operative that enters my compound at such unholy hour and claim he thought they were robbers since such scenario is very common this days

He will only be charged with just manslaughter.

But the question is.. What's DSS's excuse for trying to "abduct" the judge at 1 am?

I'm interested in their excuse

Mumu what is wrong with you people? Didn't you read the story? $2,000000 no reach? Ask yourself, if the judge was innocent why did the governor come out so late? You guys are so tribalistic to your own detriment

1 Like

Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by Abel202: 7:25pm On Oct 08, 2016
Buhari has finally gone mad !!!

I weep for this country -- CHAI !!
Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by kedeojo(m): 7:25pm On Oct 08, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
let the judicial fireworks start but why can't DSS obtain arrest warrant against the Justice?
obtain arrest warrant from their fellow corrupt ones and you think it will work. Wike's desperation to the judge's house is a fishy one if he knew he had nothing to do with him. Why can't he wait till he was quizzed away before condemming the act if it was not properly done. The president need to sanitized the judiciary before d fight against corruption will be won.

1 Like

Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by esosuo2: 7:25pm On Oct 08, 2016
And some will still come up to say it is a dictatot rule after all this explanation no doubt wike guy got alot to cover from his quick response no be say him be the judge nabor oh and he dey dere Dat kind late at nite like chief watchy nite no be chief security officer again
Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by zionboyz(m): 7:37pm On Oct 08, 2016
Lies from hell. They want to fix in a northerner as CJN by forcing those not from the north to retire or accuse them to pave way for those from North. Shame PMB
Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by obayaya(m): 7:42pm On Oct 08, 2016
badman007:

Mumu what is wrong with you people? Didn't you read the story? $2,000000 no reach? Ask yourself, if the judge was innocent why did the governor come out so late? You guys are so tribalistic to your own detriment

And they saw and counted the 2 million Dollars outside the compound?

Since they were denied access into the compound.

I can as well ask you.. If DSS have nothing to hide and are just discharging their lawful duties, why didn't they make the arrest in the afternoon where the whole world can see them? Why hide in the shadow of the night? Isn't it in their best interest that people see them make the arrest and help them progress their media trials and propaganda?

I guess you didn't ask yourself that!!!!

Now, in your honest opinion.. who's the mumu between you and I?

There's nothing shameful about you admitting and showing off your "mumu-ness" for the world to see.
Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by slawali: 7:43pm On Oct 08, 2016
Please dss and come search my house without warrant,I ve nothing to hide.how can a sitting governor collisde with judge by distruct dss operation,it is a shame on the governor and his supporters.they are afraid to paid the money in their bank's accts so that is y they keeping cash in their houses.this is just begining for them.let's them explain how. They got the moneyfor nigerians.
Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by wxyz1: 7:45pm On Oct 08, 2016
Is the like of Tinubu and Amechi that put us into this mess.
Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by TheFreeOne: 7:49pm On Oct 08, 2016
CecyAdrian:

When it comes to Nigeria, I beg to differ, the President (Buhari and no other) can even scrap the NA, judiciary and others posing a threat to the country and make room for a fresh start.

Why are you disgracing yaself upandan

SMH
Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by OYAY(m): 7:57pm On Oct 08, 2016
I think mr president should go about this anti corruption things discreetly and with discretion and magnanimity to avoid unnecessary heating up of the system. DSS should leave the work of fighting corruption to EFFC and ICPC while on extreme cases should exchange notes with the anti corruption cases instead of this parallel working of the anti corruption agencies...
Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by Nobody: 8:11pm On Oct 08, 2016
Dem go use this one open Wike file,should have just mind your damn business

1 Like

Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by stanleyorode: 8:14pm On Oct 08, 2016
What a government we are in , in a Democratic dispensation where there ought to be complete n holistic separation of power, d executive have resulted into d use of force... Neglecting d principle of separation of power. What has d executive got to do with d powers of judiciary or d legislature. Are we back to d Draconian era .. An era of dictatorship? I totally condemn d arbitrary arrest of judges around d country. If these persons have committed any wrong , there are procedures in dealing with dem. To me , it is an attempt to shut the judiciary and we must not allow it, we must say no to it. NO TO DICTATORSHIP
Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by LorDBolton(m): 8:20pm On Oct 08, 2016
id911:
Chai some Nigerans ehn! Supporting SSS with it disregard to laid down rules? Smh

Who made the rules? And who has it favoured?

The guy stealing Maggi gets 10years jail but the guy stealing 10bn gets a plea-bargain

So again I ask who made the rules? Odili has a perpetual injunction order against DSS, efcc n fg
Can any common nigerian secure that?

When police come to visit the common man does he act nice? But when it's a big man's case they kneel n beg him their dpo to give them the case cos money go fall out.

So again who made the rules and who have the rules favoured?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by Abagworo(m): 8:25pm On Oct 08, 2016
SaharaReporters has learnt from sources at the Department of State Security (DSS) that the overnight raid on the residences of some nine court judges, culminating in the arrest of several of them, came as a result of petitions and decisions of the National Judicial Council (NJC), a statutory body that regulates the activities of judges.

Two DSS sources, however, stated that contrary to earlier reports, the Supreme Court nominee for Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, was not targeted in any of the raids conducted so far. Justice Onnohen reportedly raised alarm to friends when he noticed police action next to his residence as a team of security agents swooped on his next door neighbor, Justice Sylvanus Ngwunta. A press release issued by the DSS indicated that Justice Onnohen is not under investigation, SaharaReporters learnt that the justice's appointment is being fast-tracked to become the CJN in a few days.

However, two Supreme Court justices, John Inyang Okoro and Sylvanus Ngwuta, were arrested in connection with the receipt of bribes from Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State. Justice Ngwuta reportedly traveled to Qatar to receive bribes that he shared with Justice Okoro and other justices in order to help Mr. Wike to win a case at the Supreme Court regarding his disputed election. During a search of his home Justice Ngwunta was in possession of N35,208m, $319,475, 25,890 pounds and 280 Euros

The two judges have been linked with massive properties development in Abuja and Calabar. Justice Okoro is said to be building seven houses simultaneously in Calabar with the help of former Governor Godswill Akpabio and his predecessor Udom Emmanuel in Akwa Ibom state. Justice Okoro had N4.35m, $38,833 and 1000 Euros in his possession during his arrest this morning. SaharaReporters learned that Governor Wike sprang up late at night to obstruct the arrest of a judge in Port Harcourt. The altercation that ensued created a tense atmosphere between the Governor and security operatives sent to arrest the judge.

One source told SaharaReporters that the judge involved was Justice Abdullahi Liman of the Federal High Court in Port Harcourt. Justice Liman, who is yet to be apprehended reportedly took $2million from Ahmed Makarfi-led faction of the Peoples Democratic Party to give a judgement that “overthrew” the faction led by a former governor of Borno state, Ali Modu Sheriff. Governor Wike reportedly transferred the funds in cash to Liman in Ghana, before it was ferried to his home in Port Harcourt.

The bribe was to be shared between Lima and the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court of Nigeria, Justice Ibrahim Auta. When the team arrived the house in Port Harcourt where the loot was kept Gov. Wike mobilized his men to counter the DSS team with the aid of the State’s Police Commissioner. Another source also stated that one Justice Uche Nma Agomoh of the Federal High Court in the same city who was a lackey of the former president of the Nigerian Bar Association, Joseph Daudu was also involved in the scam. A statement issued by the DSS stated that their team was obstructed by the governor and some thugs with the help of officers from a sister agency, which SaharaReporters learnt is a reference to the Nigerian police.

A security source claimed that Governor Wike left when confronted by police and DSS agents who threatened to shoot him, however, the obstruction aided movement of the cash found on the property. Governor Wike told a different version to the press, claiming he did not know who the judge was.

As early as 11 p.m. Nigerian time, the siege on the homes of judges became public knowledge when DSS agents raided the home of a young judge, Dimgba Nnamdi, who apparently has been a thorn in the side of the DSS lately. When the siege was over, the judge's brother had been brutalized, after which the security agents showed their victim a "search warrant" meant for Justice Okoro. Justice Dimgba Nnamdi was "roughened up" but not immediately arrested. However, a DSS source stated Justice Dimgba is guilty of corruption and had been arrested as well.

Justice Muazu Pindiga, who was arrested in Gombe, was transported to the DSS headquarters in Abuja. A DSS source told our correspondent that Justice Pindiga was cooperating with the DSS regarding his role in a bribery scheme over the Rivers State election tribunal from which he was removed as a judge as Saharareporters exposed him for receiving N100m from Governor Wike.

SaharaReporters learned that Justice Muhammad Ladan Tsamiya, an Appeal Court justice who was recently "compulsorily retired" by the NJC, was not home when a DSS team invaded his home in the Gwarimpa area of Abuja, he reportedly surrendered to the DSS later this morning.

One of the most dramatic scenes took place when the DSS team stormed the home of Justice Adeniyi Ademola. When the team ordered Justice Ademola to come out, the judge claimed he was not home, but his cellphone signal gave him away. He was subsequently arrested with at least N300 million found in different local and foreign currencies in his bedroom. Specifically the same of N54m cash, $171,779. 4,400 Euros, 1,010 Rupees, and 80 pounds was found in his residence. A different team also arrested Justice Kabiru Auta in Kano

1 Like

Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by mapet: 8:26pm On Oct 08, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
let the judicial fireworks start but why can't DSS obtain arrest warrant against the Justice?

Arrest warrant will not have worked in this case. Once the arrest warrant is sought, all judges would have been on the on standby and moved their stashes. At least with this element of suprise, we can see a Wike becoming both the defence and "waste-collector"

1 Like

Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by Ubenedictus(m): 8:26pm On Oct 08, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
How does due diligence substitute for Arrest Warrant?
THe other news sources clarified that d dss had a search and arrest warrant. all due diligence was followed.

1 Like

Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by JUHABACH: 8:28pm On Oct 08, 2016
s
Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by JUHABACH: 8:29pm On Oct 08, 2016
amagunnerfan:
Can you answer this question?

What was Wike doing in a judge's house by 1am? If you can answer that question then your own questions will be answered.

wait a minute... i m pretty sure wike wasnt at the judge's house when the raid started. according to reports, wike arrived acting on information reaching him about the ongoing range. not to mention the judge's residence is quite close that of the governor's quaters.
Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by Bom4Real: 8:32pm On Oct 08, 2016
Even DSS can not lie properly,Buhari. Keep on the lawlessness u have sown will soon grow for u to germinate
Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by mapet: 8:49pm On Oct 08, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Though someone up there said there was arrest warrant, I will be silent henceforth.

But to answer you, we can't allow the president to exercise maximum power, hence, we create an Hitler

....so to prevent a supposed "Hitler" you'll prefer a land filled with "40 thieves" as judges?

1 Like

Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by Dee60: 8:52pm On Oct 08, 2016
Abagworo:
SaharaReporters has learnt from sources at the
Department of State Security (DSS) that the overnight
raid on the residences of some nine court judges,
culminating in the arrest of several of them, came as a
result of petitions and decisions of the National
Judicial Council (NJC), a statutory body that regulates
the activities of judges.

Two DSS sources, however, stated that contrary to
earlier reports, the Supreme Court nominee for Chief
Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, was not
targeted in any of the raids conducted so far. Justice
Onnohen reportedly raised alarm to friends when he
noticed police action next to his residence as a team of
security agents swooped on his next door neighbor,
Justice Sylvanus Ngwunta. A press release issued by
the DSS indicated that Justice Onnohen is not under
investigation, SaharaReporters learnt that the justice's
appointment is being fast-tracked to become the CJN
in a few days.

However, two Supreme Court justices, John Inyang
Okoro and Sylvanus Ngwuta, were arrested in
connection with the receipt of bribes from Governor
Nyesom Wike of Rivers State. Justice Ngwuta
reportedly traveled to Qatar to receive bribes that he
shared with Justice Okoro and other justices in order
to help Mr. Wike to win a case at the Supreme Court
regarding his disputed election. During a search of his
home Justice Ngwunta was in possession of N35,208m,
$319,475, 25,890 pounds and 280 Euros

The two judges have been linked with massive
properties development in Abuja and Calabar. Justice
Okoro is said to be building seven houses
simultaneously in Calabar with the help of former
Governor Godswill Akpabio and his predecessor Udom
Emmanuel in Akwa Ibom state. Justice Okoro had
N4.35m, $38,833 and 1000 Euros in his possession
during his arrest this morning.
SaharaReporters learned that Governor Wike sprang
up late at night to obstruct the arrest of a judge in
Port Harcourt. The altercation that ensued created a
tense atmosphere between the Governor and security
operatives sent to arrest the judge.

One source told SaharaReporters that the judge
involved was Justice Abdullahi Liman of the Federal
High Court in Port Harcourt. Justice Liman, who is yet
to be apprehended reportedly took $2million from
Ahmed Makarfi-led faction of the Peoples Democratic
Party to give a judgement that “overthrew” the faction
led by a former governor of Borno state, Ali Modu
Sheriff. Governor Wike reportedly transferred the
funds in cash to Liman in Ghana, before it was ferried
to his home in Port Harcourt.

The bribe was to be shared between Lima and the Chief Judge of the
Federal High Court of Nigeria, Justice Ibrahim Auta.
When the team arrived the house in Port Harcourt
where the loot was kept Gov. Wike mobilized his men
to counter the DSS team with the aid of the State’s
Police Commissioner. Another source also stated that
one Justice Uche Nma Agomoh of the Federal High
Court in the same city who was a lackey of the former
president of the Nigerian Bar Association, Joseph
Daudu was also involved in the scam.
A statement issued by the DSS stated that their team
was obstructed by the governor and some thugs with
the help of officers from a sister agency, which
SaharaReporters learnt is a reference to the Nigerian
police.

A security source claimed that Governor Wike left
when confronted by police and DSS agents who
threatened to shoot him, however, the obstruction
aided movement of the cash found on the property.
Governor Wike told a different version to the press,
claiming he did not know who the judge was.

As early as 11 p.m. Nigerian time, the siege on the
homes of judges became public knowledge when DSS
agents raided the home of a young judge, Dimgba
Nnamdi, who apparently has been a thorn in the side
of the DSS lately. When the siege was over, the judge's
brother had been brutalized, after which the security
agents showed their victim a "search warrant" meant
for Justice Okoro. Justice Dimgba Nnamdi was
"roughened up" but not immediately arrested.
However, a DSS source stated Justice Dimgba is guilty
of corruption and had been arrested as well.

Justice Muazu Pindiga, who was arrested in Gombe,
was transported to the DSS headquarters in Abuja. A
DSS source told our correspondent that Justice
Pindiga was cooperating with the DSS regarding his
role in a bribery scheme over the Rivers State election
tribunal from which he was removed as a judge as
Saharareporters exposed him for receiving N100m
from Governor Wike.

SaharaReporters learned that Justice Muhammad
Ladan Tsamiya, an Appeal Court justice who was
recently "compulsorily retired" by the NJC, was not
home when a DSS team invaded his home in the
Gwarimpa area of Abuja, he reportedly surrendered to
the DSS later this morning.

One of the most dramatic scenes took place when the
DSS team stormed the home of Justice Adeniyi
Ademola. When the team ordered Justice Ademola to
come out, the judge claimed he was not home, but his
cellphone signal gave him away. He was subsequently
arrested with at least N300 million found in different
local and foreign currencies in his bedroom.
Specifically the same of N54m cash, $171,779. 4,400
Euros, 1,010 Rupees, and 80 pounds was found in his
residence.
A different team also arrested Justice Kabiru Auta in
Kano

Dont mind the people spewing rubbish on NL. They just read the headline and start making nasty conclusions.

I dont know about the style and maybe that can be faulted, but should anyone be above the law?

1 Like

Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by andyanders: 8:55pm On Oct 08, 2016
Good development. Money has blinded the system and as such, those with money, has bought over the heart of most of these judges which has ended up destroying their credibility.

1 Like

Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by Dee60: 8:58pm On Oct 08, 2016
RedCapChief:

What can PMB do?

He can strengthen the capacity of the EFCC and ICPC. Has the EFCC won any high profile case in recent times. No!
Big Men who are corrupt are able to hire good lawyers who destroy the EFCC in court.
People don't fight corruption. Systems fight corruption.

Unless the DSS has evidence that the judges have received money dishonestly, then all this arrests are just gra-gra.
Buhari is not fighting corruption. He is just an ethno-religious bigot

Look at the Olisa Metuh case, there was clear evidence of receipt of money from Dasuki. Nobody can escape that.

Having money in your house is not a reason to be arrested.
What if the judge claims that his friend, who is a businessman, lent him the money.

I fully agree. The style employed is not good. It may end up embarrassing the FG. If there was substance in it, they could have worked with the Police to carry out a seamless check on those facts and arrest only where it becomes necessary.

I do think that PMB will get a better mileage if he sets up a truth commission - to allow people return stolen funds. We need better forward thinking in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by Abagworo(m): 8:58pm On Oct 08, 2016
NJC requested their arrest for those yet to read.

http://saharareporters.com/2016/10/08/full-details-nigerian-secret-police-raid-federal-judges-revealed

The arrest of several of them, came as a result of
petitions and decisions of the National Judicial Council
(NJC), a statutory body that regulates the activities of
judges.
Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by mapet: 9:02pm On Oct 08, 2016
PierreDeFermat:
Wike is so foolish. He acts like a campus cultist. And that's what he is

Wike's with his presence has given himself away as culpable. This is a case I want to be executed as swift as possible. DSS should charge them to court with their weight of evidence and let's see how this will pan out

2 Likes

Re: Why We Arrested High Ranking Judges – DSS by alexlee50: 9:02pm On Oct 08, 2016
amagunnerfan:
So Wike is now the police? And DSS are not a known security agent in this country?
my guy I answer your own, abeg answer mine.let me test your knowledge about the execution of search warrant.at what time should you execute a search warrant?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Buhari’s ‘Hidden’ Ministers By Daily Trust / Saraki Has Removed APC From His Official Twitter Handle(photo) / FG, South-West Governors Agree To Formalise Amotekun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.