Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,277 members, 7,811,817 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:18 PM

Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. - Computers (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (60088 Views)

Ten Most Common Laptop Problems And Their Solutions / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 3:47am On Dec 10, 2009
bijelee (m)

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice.
« #250 on: December 08, 2009, 03:26 PM »
I tried formatting my system and i got an error like no hard disk drives found on this computer meanwhile i use a compaq presario c300 running windows xp media center edition. Av checked the device maager and everything seems to be alright but i still can't go ahead with formatting. Is it the CD am using or where could the prob be. Thanks

As far as am aware. this only happen if you are trying to install XP Over Vista that use
sata hard drive as suppose to IDE drive. device manager wont tell you much my friend .anyway.

Here's your diagnostics

If your computer was built in 2006 or later (Windows Vista)

immediately press the F10 key. You might need to press the key

repeatedly, about once every second, until a BIOS Setup utility screen opens.

If your computer was built before 2006 (Windows XP or earlier), press the F1 key .

You might need to press the key repeatedly, about once every second, until a BIOS Setup utility screen opens.

Use the arrow keys to select a recognized hard disk drive device in the list and press Enter .

Select SMART Support and press Enter .

Select one of the following hard disk drive device tests:

SMART Status Check: Checks the status of the hard disk drive SMART status. Displays whether SMART support is enabled or disabled.

SMART Short Self-Test: Runs a short self-test on the hard disk drive.

SMART Extended Self-Test: Runs an Extended self-test on the hard disk drive. This may take some time.

Press Enter to start the test.
The test begins and the test status displays.

Press Esc when the test is complete.

CAUTION: If the test fails, copy the data on the hard disk drive and replace the hard disk drive.

Could you please let me know
how you get on as this re-enforce
what i already knew and to
learn more in becoming a better tec.

Good luck and thanks for enquiring.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 3:50am On Dec 10, 2009
naggbajumo (m)
nigeria

« #244 on: December 08, 2009, 12:07 PM »
my laptop is very slow.and has serious virus.pls send me a free virus web site

we use this @ work

http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 4:01am On Dec 10, 2009
@Phtomay

It is true that your laptop will go into 'energy conservation' mode while on battery, but it looks like there is a process which takes over when you are hooked up to the mains. Only thing that comes to mind could be a distributed reasearch program like BOINC (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/).

Best way to find out is to do this:

Press CTRL+Shift+ESC (or right click on the task bar and select Task Manager) to open Task Manager

Select the Processes tab

Check the 'Show Processes from all users' check box

Then click on the CPU heading of the table (maybe twice to bring the most used process to the top).

Usually the System Idle Process sits at the top. I need to look into this in more detail. very strange this is.

make my head spins round. are sure that the right charger and also have you taken your laptop for healthcheck

e.g fan dusting etc

Good luck !
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 4:09am On Dec 10, 2009
marocguy (m)
Enugu/Calabar-Nigeria

« #284 on: Yesterday at 03:24:32 AM »
I need help on my one year old lenovo r61i.
Problems
1. Battery not charging but hibernates
2. DVD-RW ram unable 2 read most dvd plates since i bought it last year,currently doesnt read any dvd or cd at all now
3. Space bar looks okay in position but gives space bar commands till infinity by pressing it once. As in it neva stops giving space
4. The system recently shows a blue screen durin booting and restarts. I suspect a crash. I ran a HDD diagonisis test and it tells me i shud go 4 support. I dont knw which support. I tried to reformat or restore to a backup thru lenovo recovery but it cudnt get d files from d HDD. And i didnt burn out d recovery discs.
My last decision was to pack it into its carton and keep it on my wardrobe. I'm scard of unnecesary bills esp from my corper allowee. Pls can u help me?

1st issue http://www.laptops-battery.co.uk/blog/calibrate-laptop-battery/
would have been better if you can explain in more details please.

2nd issues-click start my computer and see if you can see dvd drive on the list
if no follow this brilliant microsoft fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
if yes then get back to us for further diags

3rd issue- I think you have a stuck keys somewhere there. try using compress air
to blow off dust from keyboard. please find picture below

4th what happens after you try doing hd recovery. any error messages or ?

you need to explain more please.

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 4:13am On Dec 10, 2009

aimanosi (m)
lagos

« #243 on: December 08, 2009, 11:39 AM »
This has to do with security problem, My sytem just refuse to open facebook anymore. Also It wont allow me to run some program unless I run as an admin despite I am already log on as an admin. my operating system is Vista home premium

what's was the error message ? could please confirm you clock and date is set right please.

if no joy try downloading and use firefox web browser http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/firefox.html

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 4:15am On Dec 10, 2009
arsenal4va (m)
Lagos

« #291 on: Yesterday at 09:54:47 AM »
hey

i have a hp tx 2500 and yesterday when i tried to start it all i had was a black screen , wasnt starting at all , doesnt even give me a chance to enter safe mode or dos or anything , have tried to hard reset it with no luck,

any advice

thx

Try this please. I'm arsenal fan myself. lol

Here's your diagnostics

Instructions for notebooks:
Disconnect all external devices you have.

Unplug the power adapter from the notebook.
Remove the battery from the notebook (if possible).

Press the power button and hold it for at least 15 seconds.
Reconnect the power adapter.

Do not yet reconnect the external devices, they should stay disconnected. Do not yet reseat the battery.
Switch your computer on and test if it boots normally and watch if the power LED lights up.

If the power LED still does not lights up, continue with the next steps.
Disconnect the power adapter from the notebook.

Press the power button and hold it for at least 15 seconds.
Reseat the battery. Do not reconnect the power adapter.

Switch your computer on and test if it boots normally.

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 4:20am On Dec 10, 2009
tegasgirl (f)
LONDON, UK

« #265 on: December 08, 2009, 10:54 PM »
Hi guys!

My laptop (vista os) keeps popping up with a blue screen saying the computer needs to be restarted. It's happening more and more frequently now.

What causes it and how can I resolve it?

Thanks!

To be on the safe side you need to tell us what the message is and then we proffer a solution/advice

Could be you finishing installing windows update.

Like the previous tec has said is BSOD (Blue screen of death)

Here's your diagnostics

Click on Start and then Control Panel.

Click on the System and Maintenance link.

Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed

Click on the System link.

In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.

In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

Click OK in the System Properties window.

You can now close the System window.

From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, the PC will not automatically reboot. Rebooting manually will be necessary

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 4:22am On Dec 10, 2009
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Nobody: 5:14am On Dec 10, 2009
I have a Toshiba L202 it screen freezes after plugging it on charge but works well on battery. Now I have just discovered the battery life discharges very easily. What could be the possible solution? Thanks
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by alex0026(m): 6:29am On Dec 10, 2009
You can post your laptop problems at http://www.mutualinterestsforum.com/ for free advice and free laptop-related information is also available at computerpleasure.com

Thanks
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Busybody2(f): 7:55am On Dec 10, 2009
Deji2009

Thanks for taking your precious time to reply me, do you know you are the only person who has spoken to me this year embarassed people ignore me just because i live in yaba embarassed cry tongue

I have taken note of your email addy and would exchange details with you to drop them off to get them fixed, shey you will also do something to the bios too abeg cheesy How far are you from Chadwell Heath?
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by ikson(m): 10:43am On Dec 10, 2009
Fixed disk parameter table (or) BIOS ERROR System Halted is the error i get while booting my laptop lately. how do i rectify this ? hUMBLY AWAITING UR RESPONSE
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by thompsob(m): 10:56am On Dec 10, 2009
pls help, my hp laptop is runnin on window vista ultimate and its askin for product key
deji please solve my own problem oooo
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by naijamd(m): 1:29pm On Dec 10, 2009
my laptop is an hp compaq 6270s, i formated and lost my drives and i do not have the recovery cd where can i get it.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by glamourtop: 1:51pm On Dec 10, 2009
Pls help me out, I bought this laptop (TOSHIBA-Centrino) fairly used and later I discovered that the hard disk is 60 gig but 30gig of it has been used, when I checked what occupied the 30 gig used I did not see anything there, I tried to format the hard disk but could not be formatted it only load windo on it, and not that the hard disk is partition, pls what could be the problem , another thing is the Battery how much can I get a good fairly used battery, thanks, icsplc@yahoo.com 07030119932 Glamour
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by kalmebad(f): 1:56pm On Dec 10, 2009
@deji

weldone at your good work,

I have a new laptop which is not upto 1month, Compaq HP with window vista,my battery does not last more than 30mins if fully charged

again, sometimes when i signed in on yahoo messenger,the programme closes by itself with a window that will say there is an error,close this window or restart

Lastly, so many a time, trying to open yahoo messengers ends up opening lots of yahoo mail window without me cliking on anything

I have Bitdefender antivirus newly installed on the date i purchased it, please what could be the likely problems am having

Your advice is highly needed.thank u
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 2:09pm On Dec 10, 2009

Busy_body (f)
« #156 on: December 07, 2009, 03:43 PM »
With the first one, sometimes it just switches off and switches itself on again, and then says something about microsoft detecting a problem ; bluescreen, whilst the problem about getting the white screen when i switch the second one sometimes happens to the first one too, can i just link you up somewhere to drop them off to you abeg, i don't trust myself with taking the batteries off, i don't even know where the batteries are to start with
1st ok. do this for both of them please.
connect your laptop to a monitor
and noice if you have the same lines
if yes then is faulty Nvidia chips (Motherbaord)
as described in the articles you posted.

2nd ok. after you did that turn it off back
on again dont wait for anything keep pressing
F2 on the keybaord repeatedly until you see
a blue screen that says Bios. if still same lines there
then is a faulty part. I take it motherboard
was replace before yeah ? if so and still samething
then best bet is to get intouch with Dell themselves

Regarding the other one that switches itself off
I'm more than prepare to take that on baord and
carry some diagnostics on it. please include any disk
that might have came with the laptop such as recovery
utilt disk etc and make sure you save all your document.

After carefully diagnosing it, last resort would be to reformat it
to square one and start al over again and also I need to swap test
part such as RAM sticks, clean the fan from dust build up that might have a build up all this while (Debris) and other things.

If you decided to send this one to me then let me know

regarding the lines one let me know if mobo has been replaced
if not then we have to order some as you know this are quite expensive

Good luck

Deji Sunday
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 2:34pm On Dec 10, 2009
glamourtop:

Pls help me out, I bought this laptop (TOSHIBA-Centrino) fairly used and later I discovered that the hard disk is 60 gig but 30gig of it has been used, when I checked what occupied the 30 gig used I did not see anything there, I tried to format the hard disk but could not be formatted it only load windo on it, and not that the hard disk is partition, pls what could be the problem , another thing is the Battery how much can I get a good fairly used battery, thanks, icsplc@yahoo.com 07030119932 Glamour

1st issue The rest of your drive is taken up by the Toshiba restore partition. If you open Disk Management by clicking start > right click my computer > manage , you will be able to see it.

Turn if off please back on again keep pressing f2 for Bios. play round and see if you have LBA if you do enable it please.

if still no joy then backup your prudent data and restore to factory setting.

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by iorhenter(m): 2:37pm On Dec 10, 2009
bijelee (m)

« #250 on: December 08, 2009, 03:26 PM »
I tried formatting my system and i got an error like no hard disk drives found on this computer meanwhile i use a compaq presario  c300 running windows xp media center edition. Av checked the device maager and everything seems to be alright but i still can't go ahead with formatting. Is it the CD am using or where could the prob be. Thanks

@bijelee

your problem is a very simple one. Don't think about throwing away the Hard Disk Drive (HDD) because it's still good and intact. I can bet you that YOUR HDD is a SATA hard disk. All you have to do is look for an XP with sata drivers and install, that will take care of it. Remember : ask precisely for XP with SATA DRIVERS. Good luck
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 2:40pm On Dec 10, 2009
naijamd:

my laptop is an hp compaq 6270s, i formated and lost my drives and i do not have the recovery cd where can i get it.

Correct me if am wrong. you use HD recovery partition by pressing F11 on start up. didn't you ? See image below.

If this is right. save all your work again and redo recovery when on that screen as illustrated
by the picture click advance option then choose install drivers and there you have it
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

or click start > my computer > Hp> driver folder> just play round and see if you will find something similar to this.

Recovery disk can be purchase from www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07143">http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07143

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 2:47pm On Dec 10, 2009
@bijelee

My colleague is right @ poster. All the best

Bios can be acess by restart your laptop and pressing F10 or F1

The option in BIOS (if it was there) is actually "Disable NATIVE SATA" - this will not disable the controller, but it would make it appear like a normal IDE-ctlr.

Please find attached Picture of how Bios may look like on your model

Regards

Deji

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 2:52pm On Dec 10, 2009
ikson:

Fixed disk parameter table (or) BIOS ERROR System Halted is the error i get while booting my laptop lately. how do i rectify this ? hUMBLY AWAITING your RESPONSE

what make is your laptop ? turn if off please back on then keep pressing f2 bios

look for Main and see if you have IDE primary. alternatively take it to a shop for advice

This is not an easy one to dealt with here. we can still have a go at it

take care
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 3:09pm On Dec 10, 2009
thompsob:

pls help, my hp laptop is runnin on window vista ultimate and its askin for product key
deji please solve my own problem oooo

Windows product are authenticated, which means I won't know what the key is.

Is like asking you to tell me your bank account pin. lol bro. is the samething

best bet is to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by deji2009(m): 3:12pm On Dec 10, 2009
Donsimon:

I have a Toshiba L202 it screen freezes after plugging it on charge but works well on battery. Now I have just discovered the battery life discharges very easily. What could be the possible solution? Thanks

Here's why

http://www.laptops-battery.co.uk/blog/calibrate-laptop-battery/

wink
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Roadblock: 8:55pm On Dec 10, 2009
Hello Deji, Please what could be wrong wwith my Old toshiba laptop, While booting it dislays Bad RTC Battery BadCheck Sum (CMOS)
Check Systems Press F1.
After pressing F1 for system checking, it will continue till 71% and then stop. What could be wrong. I left it unused for months and when I picked it up again I started seeing this.

What do you think I should do.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Roadblock: 8:56pm On Dec 10, 2009
Hello Deji, Please what could be wrong wwith my Old toshiba laptop, While booting it dislays   Bad  RTC Battery       BadCheck Sum (CMOS)
Check Systems Press F1.
After pressing F1  for system checking, it will continue till 71% and then stop. What could be wrong. I left it unused for months and when I picked it up again I started seeing this.

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by Nobody: 9:31pm On Dec 10, 2009
Thanks Deji, I'll give it a try right away. smiley
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by VULCAN(m): 12:42am On Dec 11, 2009
Hey Guys HELP WANTED FAST

b] STUCK ON CHOOSE SAFE MODE PAGE[/b]

I have an HP COMPAQ XP and here is the trouble.

It recently got infected with some wicked trojans and i bought Kaspersky 2010, it cleaned up over 300 infected files ON THE FIRST DAY yet every day i put on the system it finds like 20 or more.

So I decided to start it up in safe mode and do the clean up from there - only to discover that it will not boot into safe mode. It would pretend it was going into safe mode then all of a sudden it would open up the desktop normally

Then I found out i could manually induce safe mode by using MSCONFIG.

I was headed for trouble with my eyes open.

I went in to MSCONFIG, adjusted it to boot into safe mode and restarted

And thats it.

Keeps running a loop of showing me the page that allows me to choose whether i want safe mode- then after i choose SM it loops back to the same page.

and it has been stuck in a loop ever since

Dont have the operating system or recovery disk- whats to be done PLS HELP
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by omega25red(m): 2:38am On Dec 11, 2009
On that same page with the safe mode, it also gives you a chance to do a normal boot. why not try that  also if you want another option for a malware cleaner, you can try malwarebytes. Google the name and it's free but very very good. although you will get the best benefit from that software if you can update it. i hope that helps.
update: Actually you should go into the bios by pressing i think F12 when you first turn on your computer and reset your bios to default setting that should do it good luck
VULCAN:

Hey Guys HELP WANTED FAST

b] STUCK ON CHOOSE SAFE MODE PAGE[/b]

I have an HP COMPAQ XP and here is the trouble.

It recently got infected with some wicked trojans and i bought Kaspersky 2010, it cleaned up over 300 infected files ON THE FIRST DAY yet every day i put on the system it finds like 20 or more.

So I decided to start it up in safe mode and do the clean up from there - only to discover that it will not boot into safe mode. It would pretend it was going into safe mode then all of a sudden it would open up the desktop normally

Then I found out i could manually induce safe mode by using MSCONFIG.

I was headed for trouble with my eyes open.

I went in to MSCONFIG, adjusted it to boot into safe mode and restarted

And thats it.

Keeps running a loop of showing me the page that allows me to choose whether i want safe mode- then after i choose SM it loops back to the same page.

and it has been stuck in a loop ever since

Dont have the operating system or recovery disk- whats to be done PLS HELP

Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by omega25red(m): 2:41am On Dec 11, 2009
Roadblock:

Hello Deji, Please what could be wrong wwith my Old toshiba laptop, While booting it dislays Bad RTC Battery BadCheck Sum (CMOS)
Check Systems Press F1.
After pressing F1 for system checking, it will continue till 71% and then stop. What could be wrong. I left it unused for months and when I picked it up again I started seeing this.

sounds to me like the battery on your mother board has died out. This battery is called a CMOS battery it looks like a watch battery but bigger. you might need someone who knows how to take a laptop apart to replace it for you.
Re: Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. by echezz: 3:38am On Dec 11, 2009
Guys please help! My HP 6735s screen keeps beaming bright light as if just plugged in to charge. This happens at intervals and exactly three times at each interval. And it happens whether running on battery or plugged in.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply)

Grade A USA Used Probook 640 Core I5 For Sale. / Free Proxy List, Web Proxy List, Socks List Download Them As Raw Text Format. / Solid State Drive Vs Sata Hard Drives. Which One Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.