Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,293 members, 7,811,879 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:59 PM

I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me (60459 Views)

Yakubu Nataala Is Dead! Kogi Polytechnic Lecturer Slumps, Dies Over Non-Payment / Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do / Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by fineyemi(m): 7:20pm On Nov 21, 2016
ajimuby:
some people and can lie/discourage/say nonsense in africa......if you know people even if you don't buh your result is good you can lecture.....dre are plenty hnd holders lecturing in kadpoly don't mind dose discouraging / saying rubbish
Be careful please. we are only talking about university here and if u are polytechnic student, pls endeavour to get a bsc so..u won't regret it

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by David403(m): 7:21pm On Nov 21, 2016
I just finished my Ond prog,am really discouraged to further with my HND..

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by fineyemi(m): 7:25pm On Nov 21, 2016
Carmal90:

Pls tell me d one dat will, pls sir
ambrose alli university ekpoma. I mean no university in the southwest will admit u into 300
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by lambvard: 7:26pm On Nov 21, 2016
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by fineyemi(m): 7:26pm On Nov 21, 2016
Carmal90:

Any clue on fees?
110,000. one of the cheapest in Nigeria. Tank me later
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by STARGREEN(m): 7:28pm On Nov 21, 2016
[quote author=Nwaonyeocha post=51140423]Thank you so much.
You have taken this issue as an individual thing. Honestly, you are offering me the needed drive to do it and do it right.
First class? Hmmmmmmm
Should I go Mass Communication, I am sure to make that grade. I missed it by a little margin.
But I want to change to a business course for the B.Sc. Your words are golden.

[/quote.

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Abdul4trust1(m): 7:28pm On Nov 21, 2016
Nwaonyeocha:
I am 42 years old, my highest qualification is HND.
It is my desire to be a lecturer kindly advise me on how to make this dream a reality.

* Should I start afresh with a Bachelors [I want to move from Mass Communication to Business course]
* How many years of extra study will it take me?
* If I am going back to school, what should be my most important priority?
* I would like to be involved in research and writing extensively - which kind of senior lecturers should I look up to?
go For Pgd And Then Msc.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Abdul4trust1(m): 7:29pm On Nov 21, 2016
Nwaonyeocha:
It is my desire to be a lecturer kindly advise me on how to make this dream a reality.

* Should I start afresh with a Bachelors [I want to move from Mass Communication to Business course]
* I would like to be involved in research and writing extensively - which kind of senior lecturers should I look up to?
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by lambvard: 7:30pm On Nov 21, 2016
LARRYDKING:

University of Lagos. I also did direct entry with my polytechnic certificate into unilag. U must have however finished with a distinction and have a credit pass in further maths. Ur O/level must also be at one sitting.

Pls how true is this, can you explain better or give a clue on how to go about this. I need this
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Carmal90(m): 7:34pm On Nov 21, 2016
fineyemi:
110,000. one of the cheapest in Nigeria. Tank me later

Don't get u, 110 for a starter, or d fees is fixed
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by STARGREEN(m): 7:36pm On Nov 21, 2016
Nwaonyeocha:
Thank you so much.
You have taken this issue as an individual thing. Honestly, you are offering me the needed drive to do it and do it right.
First class? Hmmmmmmm
Should I go Mass Communication, I am sure to make that grade. I missed it by a little margin.
But I want to change to a business course for the B.Sc. Your words are golden.

Oga am sorry oh...but with the age u stated I am compelled to assumed that you have grown beyond certain infantry questions like " Should I go Mass Communication, I am sure to make that grade".
Few advises on page one is more than enough to drive your passion towards your dream. In spite of how excellent our suggestions seems/are....the final decision must come from you. You are a man....man the instinct. Once i look towards hearing they future testimonies
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by fineyemi(m): 7:38pm On Nov 21, 2016
David403:
I was in your shoes too my brother. I finished ma OND from yabatech with a strong upper credit and I tried DE 3 times. Due to what I heard abt this so called discrimination and wat I saw while in GTB for ma IT made me wow never to go back for HND. Am currently in 300l osun state university. Never give up. You can go for PT if FT doesn't work out.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nobody: 7:38pm On Nov 21, 2016
Carmal90:

Very grateful, pls like aw much is OOU FEES? Did u have clue of lautech fees and d level dey will place me

A little above 100k, the acceptance is 60k.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Abdul4trust1(m): 7:39pm On Nov 21, 2016
ade2008:

No university will employ him as a lecturer even with HND+PGD+MSC, only polytechnic can. Even to be employed in a polytechnic the PGD should be in the core field(mass comm not in education+ MSC. Academic carreer for HND is very narrow , you can only work as a technologist, so my advice is obtain a degree if you're passionate about working in academic as lecturer. I'm a senior technologist working in a polytechnic , speaking from experience
with Hnd+Msc You Are Fit To Lecture In University.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Carmal90(m): 7:40pm On Nov 21, 2016
LARRYDKING:

A little above 100k, the acceptance is 60k.

Thanks, bravo....
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nobody: 7:40pm On Nov 21, 2016
lambvard:

Pls how true is this, can you explain better or give a clue on how to go about this. I need this

Just register with jamb, submit ur credentials at the senate building of the university, meet the earlier stated criteria and await admission list. No need for any exam.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by tobiasbeecher: 7:41pm On Nov 21, 2016
Rebuke:

Just a quick question. Does your BSc grade matter? Let's assume your PGD result is good, does your BSc result still count when it comes to lecturing job?
Your question is a bit complicated, but I will try to answer it clearly. First, if you have a poor BSc grade you cannot get a graduate assistant lecturing position which is the entry position for people with BSc only. if you already have an MSc, you won't be considered for this position. To secure a graduate assistant lecturing position in most universities, you need to have a minimum of second class upper and above. So your BSc counts in this position. However, if you have a poor BSc grade and wishes to lecture, you have to make sure you make a good grade in your PGD (assuming your grade is too low to secure a direct Master's programme) so that you can be considered for a master's programme. If you make a good grade in your master's programme (by good grade I mean PhD grade), then your chances of securing an Assistant lecturing position is high. Lol but with a godfather, all these requirements maybe bypassed! I hope I have answered your question?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by ANDREW2EIC(m): 7:41pm On Nov 21, 2016
Carmal90:

Sir, I have upper credit, hope am safe?

I am not sure a distinction is the minimum requirement. You can give it a try if you desire, who knows, you might be given admission.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nobody: 7:42pm On Nov 21, 2016
Carmal90:

Thanks, bravo....

U're welcome sir.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nobody: 7:46pm On Nov 21, 2016
David403:

Bro, if u have ur way, go to the university. The wahala my people who have HND are facing is beyond them.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nobody: 7:48pm On Nov 21, 2016
ajimuby:
some people and can lie/discourage/say nonsense in africa......if you know people even if you don't buh your result is good you can lecture.....dre are plenty hnd holders lecturing in kadpoly don't mind dose discouraging / saying rubbish

Most of them are in the lab. I also went to a polytechnic.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by bjnice(m): 7:50pm On Nov 21, 2016
@carmal90 university of Ibadan Dlc program accept fast track(300) level student wit HND certificate, there form is presently on sales wit just 10500 Naira. if u need more info abt d program u can contact on dis num 07068412223
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by ObadakiM: 7:52pm On Nov 21, 2016
Those of you that are saying 'OP' can't lecture with HND+PGD+Msc+PhD, you are all wrong.
this is a screen shot from UNIBen website.
OP you can get to the peak of your career in the field of lecturing if you want to. There is no need to go start all over from point zero.
It's a slap to even dream about that.
http://profiles.uniben.edu/full_profile.php?id=5362&OTI-%20EMMANUEL%20OTINTA

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by skedman(m): 7:53pm On Nov 21, 2016
Nwaonyeocha:

guy I don't want to call you a fool, at the age of 42 you can't still figure out what you want to become in life. What type of question is this, do you really want to become a lecturer or you just came to make fool of your self. You said senior lecturer or assistant lecturer . What have they turn nigerian university into . Guy park well . An inspiring lecturer coming to social media for advice instead of going to meet other lecturer for advice
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by tobiasbeecher: 8:09pm On Nov 21, 2016
ObadakiM:
I think you don't need to pass through the journey of going back to start all over(but if you have the time & money, U can jump on the train).
For me you can go for your pgd in Mass comm, then go for your Msc after that go for your PhD, but ensure that all your qualifications are in the same field. Also, before you complete your PhD ensure that you have papers you have published. I bet you with your PhD and your publications, Universities 'll beg you to come lecture ("but ensure you know your course as the back of your hand"wink.
I have a friend who pass through this process and he his lecturing in one of the Federal Universities.

However, if you still insist in going to the University, you can try UNISA and complete your degree within a year (online) and it's a recognized degree (I have a friend who used the degree to further his Msc in UNILAG).
Well, with all the ideas given above you have lots of options to pick from. Good luck
Please stop misinforming the Op, the minimum requirement to securing a lecturing position in all government owned universities is degree and online degrees is not even recognised by NUC. By citing your friends to buttress your point shows you're not even saying the truth. You're just citing those imaginary friends so that we can believe you.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Walexz02(m): 8:16pm On Nov 21, 2016
skedman:
guy I don't want to call you a fool, at the age of 42 you can't still figure out what you want to become in life. What type of question is this, do you really want to become a lecturer or you just came to make fool of your self. You said senior lecturer or assistant lecturer . What have they turn nigerian university into . Guy park well . An inspiring lecturer coming to social media for advice instead of going to meet other lecturer for advice
You lack manners, and sound very stupid!
Go back to your parents and beg them to teach you how to interact with strangers. Spits!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by ObadakiM: 8:21pm On Nov 21, 2016
tobiasbeecher:

Please stop misinforming the Op, the minimum requirement to securing a lecturing position in all government owned universities is degree and online degrees is not even recognised by NUC. By citing your friends to buttress your point shows you're not even saying the truth. You're just citing those imaginary friends so that we can believe you.
Young man, I won't come here to misinform both young & old Nigerians. I know what I am saying. There are online degree and online degree. You cant over look an online degree from a university like Universities from UK and UNISA(NUC will never reject it if you present it for Msc).
Also, u shld not conclude if you don't have fact to back your points. I told you I have friends and its a fact. I even went ahead to give u a screenshot of uniben a Fed university, to show that with your HND+pgd+Msc you can lecture. So now who is misinforming who?

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Timossa(m): 8:22pm On Nov 21, 2016
Must you say or chat negative things? Everyone is not a scam or wayo. Don't just jump to conclusion if you don't know somethings about someone or something, its all wrong and bad.

Thanks.

czaratwork:
wayo people everywhere. i suspect the ops self. see your company's email address
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Timossa(m): 8:31pm On Nov 21, 2016
But you can't go for your Ph.D without a B.Sc. Bachelor degree is very important, and its your first degree ever and not a certificate.

Most jobs demands for a First Degree holder and not a second degree or National Certificate.

Best wishes.

Abdul4trust1:
with Hnd+Msc You Are Fit To Lecture In University.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by ObadakiM: 8:42pm On Nov 21, 2016
Timossa:
But you can't go for your Ph.D without a B.Sc. Bachelor degree is very important, and its your first degree ever and not a certificate.

Most jobs demands for a First Degree holder and not a second degree or National Certificate.

Best wishes.
Guy, what is the requirement for PhD? Answer; Msc at merit level or 60% (PhD grade) with this, no University in the world will deny u admission to study for your PhD. Just go for your pgd->Msc->PhD. Don't allowed any body to fool u. The former rector of Auchi Poly had HND from Auchi Poly and her pgd, Msc & Phd from a Nigerian University. So with HND u can lecture in any University in as much as u have your Msc
Thank you,
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by ObadakiM: 8:44pm On Nov 21, 2016
Timossa:

Best wishes.
Guy, what is the requirement for PhD? Answer; Msc at merit level or 60% (PhD grade) with this, no University in the world will deny u admission to study for your PhD. Just go for your pgd->Msc->PhD. Don't allowed any body to fool u. The former rector of Auchi Poly had HND from Auchi Poly and her pgd, Msc & Phd from a Nigerian University. So with HND u can lecture in any University in as much as u have your Msc
Thank you,
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by tobiasbeecher: 8:48pm On Nov 21, 2016
skedman:
Just shut it Mr know all who cannot even construct a simple sentence. This thread is for mature minds not for rude and ill-mannered kids like you. Just take your insults somewhere else!

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Meet Malam Abba Gandu From Kano, Who Has Been Feeding Lions For The Pass 50yrs / Sleep With Me Or I Fire You - My Female Boss. / Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.