Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me (60469 Views)

Yakubu Nataala Is Dead! Kogi Polytechnic Lecturer Slumps, Dies Over Non-Payment / Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do / Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by wizflower(f): 11:34pm On Nov 21, 2016
Whether HND, MSc, PGD, bsc. if you don't have connection, somebody that know someone that knows somebody you're getting no job unless you have a big God who maketh ways for you. So what matters is God and Conneeee
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by tobiasbeecher: 12:31am On Nov 22, 2016
Rebuke:

Thank you very much for your time. I thought PGD is meant to upgrade your result though.

Then how true is it that our renown Professor Wale Soyinka graduated with a third class?

Just wondering how he managed to pull through.

Yes PGD is either to upgrade your result or to divert to another field. As for Wole Soyinka you know he later travelled abroad to continue his education. He acquired postgraduate qualifications etc. Make no mistake, if you have a third class but later acquire yours master's degree, you will have chance of lecturing

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by tobiasbeecher: 1:00am On Nov 22, 2016
ObadakiM:

My brother you are contradicting yourself.
The topic here is that can a HND holder with Msc lecture in the University I said yes and I provided evidence.
Now there is no law even from NUC(I stand to be corrected only with facts/links/memo) stating that you can lecture if u have HND+Pgd+Msc+PhD, Send me the memo/link and I 'll keep shut.
How many PhD holders do u think we have in Nigeria,very few and that is why NUC&NBTE are encouraging lecturers to go for PhD.
That is why there are rooms for GA, AL so that they can grow.
I still stand on my point, convince me by given me a link where it is stated that HND+pgd+Msc+PhD can't lecture in the University
Thanks
Let us not overstretch this, but since you said your friend is a lecturer in UNIBEN you can ask him about this. A lot of people on page 1 have confirmed this. You can do the findings by yourself, peace.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nobody: 3:21am On Nov 22, 2016
lambvard:

I really appreciate that. With my distinction both ND and HND. I need to try this. Then how much is the school fee.

It's quite cheap here. New students pay 60+ together with acceptance, returning students pay 19,500.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Carmal90(m): 4:16am On Nov 22, 2016
dantanik:

no any uni in nigeria will admit u to 300l, u can only be admitted to 200l

Sir,pls don't say what u don't have idea about,pls
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by spice123(m): 6:33am On Nov 22, 2016
chimoskyg:

Good responses
I am a graduate of Eco Edu, and will love to lecture which I have always desired.
Can I get a lecturing job with just Degree or I should go for Master?

Thank u
you can get a lecturing job with your degree but it depends on the university. Unless you want to start off first from either a polytechnic or college of education then gradually do your masters. Note: the most important thing in nigeria now is work experience. Start from somewhere. I know someone who had a masters degree and currently running on another one but has been Jobless for 4 years now. *myonemillionadvice*

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nwaonyeocha: 6:43am On Nov 22, 2016
This is a dream come true.
The level of interestedness in this topic is commendable. Thank God I am not the only person who has been faced by this quagmire. Am overwhelmed that many have surmounted such hurdles although at a younger ago.

Am grateful to many who have urged me to go for my dream. My 18 years experience in the public sector both as an entrepreneur and an employee will be a great bastion for any student in any class I will step my foot on. For me its not just to be an employee but to give out more that I have garnered that is lying waste.
I have written articles published in various local and international journals but I think having the audience of a formal classroom will hasten the information transfer.

Thank you all.

NB : I do not know why the government still left HND studies to exist even when those who opt for it does not know its deficiencies ab initio.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by klevotino: 7:19am On Nov 22, 2016
Gud information
jeebz:
OP, Achievers University Owo and Kwara State University are some of the university that do HND conversion programmes. It should take you a minimum of 2 years. Masters and Phd degrees should take between 4 - 8 years depending on what country you choose to study and what routes you choose. Some foreign universities may admit you into a Phd programme directly if your BSc grades are stellar.

See:

http://www.kwasu.edu.ng/index.php/2014-04-30-09-19-40/2014-04-30-09-55-03/top-up-degree-and-hnd-conversion-programme.
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-get-admission-into-a-PhD-program-without-a-masters-degree
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by kingofabia: 9:06am On Nov 22, 2016
STARGREEN:

Presently without B.Sc as his basic...he might not reach his lecturing dream in Nigeria universities

He can do a top up in the UK.it will convert his HND to a BSC.... it is only done in UK universities....i feel it is better and time saving than going to start another bsc all over again .......
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Michaelshow: 10:10am On Nov 22, 2016
Plz....What field can someone with HND Physics Electronic wit Distinction or Upper credit wrk?
I was tinking of NDA postgraduate, Or gonna b good?
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Timossa(m): 10:14am On Nov 22, 2016
You can do your HND conversion not only in the UK also in Republic of Benin. I can help you get your HND converted to Bachelor Degree within a month and fulfilling the requirements.

Cheers!!!

kingofabia:

He can do a top up in the UK.it will convert his HND to a BSC.... it is only done in UK universities....i feel it is better and time saving than going to start another bsc all over again .......
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by STARGREEN(m): 10:17am On Nov 22, 2016
kingofabia:

Did u consider NUC requirements? Senior believe you me...most time there's no short cut to excellent. Whatever worth doing ...worth doing well. It pays in the long run.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Timossa(m): 10:18am On Nov 22, 2016
You can do your HND conversion not only in the UK also in Republic of Benin. I can help you get your HND converted to Bachelor Degree within a month after fulfilling the requirements.

Cheers!!!

kingofabia:

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by LOVEGINO(m): 10:41am On Nov 22, 2016
Do you Know that you can invest and receive 3.60% of your investment daily forever. click on my signature to register.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by DBounty(m): 11:20am On Nov 22, 2016
Have learnt a lot on dis thread. thanks to d op. pls nldrs, what's d easiest and clean way to begin frm o level (science) without machinery.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Timossa(m): 12:04pm On Nov 22, 2016
Begin what from O'level (Science) Your question is not clear to me.

Do you want to get a degree with your O'level Science Please expatiate.

Best regards.

DBounty:
Have learnt a lot on dis thread. thanks to d op. pls nldrs, what's d easiest and clean way to begin frm o level (science) without machinery.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by merbenko: 1:36pm On Nov 22, 2016
ObadakiM:

Guy, what is the requirement for PhD? Answer; Msc at merit level or 60% (PhD grade) with this, no University in the world will deny u admission to study for your PhD. Just go for your pgd->Msc->PhD. Don't allowed any body to fool u. The former rector of Auchi Poly had HND from Auchi Poly and her pgd, Msc & Phd from a Nigerian University. So with HND u can lecture in any University in as much as u have your Msc
Thank you, That was far back years. But currently u can't lecture in University without your first degree. Have your PhD and Masters currently and apply for any University lecturing and see. This guys that are lecturing with HND the have started far way long not currently. Show me who have been employ with HND+Masters+PhD from 2010 to date in University with that qualification

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Profandie(m): 1:47pm On Nov 22, 2016
Profandie:
Good evening my people.
if I do a pgd in noun then go and do msc in a conventional uni,can I still be considered for a lecturing job ?Meaning do they look at where u did your pgd (noun)? and will it affect my chances?
please advice
thanks in anticipation
Please guys advice me on this ooo
I need your candid advice and response

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by ashas50(m): 3:26pm On Nov 22, 2016
well all what you need is to enrol in PGD, in any univerity dat offer ur course of study, d maximum years is 1 to 2 years, it depend on course, then after dat, you can proceed 4 ur masters in the same university, becos the minimum qualification for a lecturer is Masters i think and u must also prove to them dat u we be running ur PHD soon.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by jeebz: 10:12pm On Nov 22, 2016
ObadakiM:

The topic here is that can a HND holder with Msc lecture in the University I said yes and I provided evidence.
Now there is no law even from NUC(I stand to be corrected only with facts/links/memo) stating that you can lecture if u have HND+Pgd+Msc+PhD, Send me the memo/link and I 'll keep shut.
How many PhD holders do u think we have in Nigeria,very few and that is why NUC&NBTE are encouraging lecturers to go for PhD.
I still stand on my point, convince me by given me a link where it is stated that HND+pgd+Msc+PhD can't lecture in the University
Thanks

Good one from you. It is important to always back up facts with references. You have provided a proof that an HND holder can become a academic staff of a university. In the same line, any reasonable uni would dwell more on your most recent degree/research papers than some degree you earned 10 years ago.Any PhD holder regardless of what route taken would have proven himself to worthy enough to bag the degree.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nobody: 8:50am On Nov 23, 2016
ade2008:

I'm in the system, working in a polytechnic, state owned. This is not hearsay, assumption, direct experience. With HND you can only be employed as a technologist or instructor(high cgpa). Note lecturer cadre is different from instructor cadre. I repeat, in Nigeria, no university will employ him as a lecturer even with HND+PGD+MSC, only polytechnic can. Many lecturers in the polytechnic with HND+PGD+MSC are now going back for degree so that can they have the opportunity to work in the university. Gone are the days HND are employed as instructor in the university and rise to be a professor. OP, my advice for you, if you really want to work in academics settings get the degree, and then your master. Dont go through the PGD+MSC path especially if you wish to work later as a reaseacher(lecturer) in the university. You will surely need the degree. This information is from a reliable source, i'm one of the victim of this abnormal system in this country. Be wise in your decision, dont waste your money and time. We are in the same age bracket, age is not a barrier to achieve your dream but take wise decision now. If you've academic Godfather you can neglect this advice. Goodluck

can an employee tender or present his/her PGD certificate when searching for work or can he/she add it to CV having had HND cert as the basis?
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nobody: 8:53am On Nov 23, 2016
ashas50:
well all what you need is to enrol in PGD, in any univerity dat offer ur course of study, d maximum years is 1 to 2 years, it depend on course, then after dat, you can proceed 4 ur masters in the same university, becos the minimum qualification for a lecturer is Masters i think and u must also prove to them dat u we be running ur PHD soon.
is PGD presentable for job or only HND and bsc?
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nobody: 9:01am On Nov 23, 2016
ObadakiM:

Thanks

can PGD certificate be use in place of HND when searching for job or it is going to be only HND then when one get job he can join it
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nobody: 9:03am On Nov 23, 2016
Abdul4trust1:
go For Pgd And Then Msc.

is PGD presentable for job?
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Timossa(m): 9:09am On Nov 23, 2016
Its advisable you add the your HND after PGD. The two qualification should be indicated on your CV.

E.g.,

Obafemi Awolowo University - 2015
PGD in Business Management

Yaba College of Technology - 2013
HND in Business Administration

I am giving this advise as a Certified Human Resource Practitioner.

Good luck.

2kaybiel:

can PGD certificate be use in place of HND when searching for job or it is going to be only HND then when one get job he can join it
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Timossa(m): 9:09am On Nov 23, 2016
Its advisable you add the your HND after PGD. The two qualifications should be indicated on your CV.

E.g.,

Good luck.

2kaybiel:

Its advisable you add your HND after PGD. The two qualifications should be indicated on your CV.

E.g.,

Good luck.

2kaybiel:

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nobody: 9:21am On Nov 23, 2016
Timossa:
Its advisable you add your HND after PGD. The two qualifications should be indicated on your CV.

E.g.,

Good luck.

thanks sir,
can a PGD holder apply for a job vacant open to bsc holder I'm asking this base on your position?
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Timossa(m): 10:09am On Nov 23, 2016
I think the person should not apply. A B.Sc is a Degree course, HND and PGD are diploma/certificate courses.

The employers will get many entries of a B.Sc holders in this regard compared to PGD holders and PGD holders will not be moved to apply because the employer desires a First Degree holder. That is the truth.

A Bachelor Degree can never be roughshod especially in Nigeria. That is my submission.

Hope this advise prove useful?

Goodluck.

2kaybiel:

thanks sir,
can a PGD holder apply for a job vacant open to bsc holder I'm asking this base on your position?
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 23, 2016
Timossa:
I think the person should not apply. A B.Sc is a Degree course, HND and PGD are diploma/certificate courses.

The employers will get many entries of a B.Sc holders in this regard compared to PGD holders and PGD holders will not be moved to apply because the employer desires a First Degree holder. That is the truth.

A Bachelor Degree can never be roughshod especially in Nigeria. That is my submission.

Hope this advise prove useful?

Goodluck.

Thanks. What is the duration of your programme of conversion of certificate to another and how much will it cost for one to undergo such programme?
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Timossa(m): 11:12am On Nov 23, 2016
The duration could be between 1 - 6 months. It all depends on how fast you pay for your conversion and how soon you finish up your project.

Mind you, with us, you don't have to sit for lectures, write exams, waste unnecessary resources.

The conversion fee is to email us below. And your form is N10,000. That is all.

For more info: email us at : universitinfo@gmail.com

Best wishes.

2kaybiel:

Thanks. What is the duration of your programme of conversion of certificate to another and how much will it cost for one to undergo such programme?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Meet Malam Abba Gandu From Kano, Who Has Been Feeding Lions For The Pass 50yrs / Sleep With Me Or I Fire You - My Female Boss. / Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.