Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,361 members, 7,812,024 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:33 AM

I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me (60475 Views)

Yakubu Nataala Is Dead! Kogi Polytechnic Lecturer Slumps, Dies Over Non-Payment / Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do / Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Hardarmson(m): 9:00pm On Nov 21, 2016
This is the first post ever that i will read from A-Z in nairaland.. not because others had not made sense to me but this make me realise that there is one spirit living inside me that made me resist going back for my HND after i finished my ND since 2014... Though i always put in for D.E but haven't click yet.. now i am going to try write another Jamb because i thought writting jamb was another waisting of time together with the time waisted in my N.D days... thank you everybody.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by samuelson06(m): 9:01pm On Nov 21, 2016
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Adeoye007(m): 9:01pm On Nov 21, 2016
I have lower credit in HND what can I do with it
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by deborsky(m): 9:03pm On Nov 21, 2016
Laryne:
Please I need your advise as well. Can I apply for a lecturing job in a polytechnic with my B.A (Ed) certificate?
polytechnics in Nigeria don't offer courses under education. But u can apply if ur course is being offered under a faculty different from education, afterall education courses are double honors. E.g Bus Admin Edu, can lecture in bus admin dept in polytechnics.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by deborsky(m): 9:07pm On Nov 21, 2016
samuelson06:

Can a B.Sc 3rd Class become a Lecturer after completing M.SC?

cc: ade2008
samuelson06:

cc: ade2008
[quote author=samuelson06 post=51247537]

cc: ade2008[/quote
Presently, u cannot, cos the minimum now is bsc upper credit, but u can easily lecture in colleges of edu and polytechnics with your bsc 3rd class and ur MSC.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by chimoskyg(m): 9:07pm On Nov 21, 2016
spice123:
My brother, I am currently in the teaching profession with HND and it's paying me well. Just go and do a Post Graduate Diploma in Education ( 1 year) for a start. A lot of Polytechnics need lecturers. You can start from there and then do your masters degree and move to a University. By then you must have gained at least 2 years lecturing experience before moving to a University. Nigeria work is solely based on experience and not just carrying certificate around. #speaking from concrete experience#

Good responses
I am a graduate of Eco Edu, and will love to lecture which I have always desired.
Can I get a lecturing job with just Degree or I should go for Master?

Thank u
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by tobiasbeecher: 9:11pm On Nov 21, 2016
ObadakiM:
Those of you that are saying 'OP' can't lecture with HND+PGD+Msc+PhD, you are all wrong.
this is a screen shot from UNIBen website.
OP you can get to the peak of your career in the field of lecturing if you want to. There is no need to go start all over from point zero.
It's a slap to even dream about that.
http://profiles.uniben.edu/full_profile.php?id=5362&OTI-%20EMMANUEL%20OTINTA
Bro, I really don't know when your friend was employed as a lecturer, but judging by his profile I will say it has been for some time. In recent time, NUC has instituted a lot of changes in the university system. These changes affected some lecturers that made some of them be converted into a non-academic staff. For example, before people do lecture with professional master's degree, but NUC outlawed it. Again, they gave a specific timetable for lecturers who have not acquired their PhD to do so or risk losing their jobs. I had a lecturer then who nearly lost his job because he graduated from Alvan IkoKu College of Education degree programme which they were running as an affiliation with a university. They said he did not have a regular BSc degree and that the BSc degree he has acquired was from an affiliation programme. He was suspended for many months but was later readmitted because his godfather was the Deputy Vice Chancellor Academics then. What we are saying is that if you're pursuing a lecturing job in a govt owned universities without ''IM'' and with an HND+MSc degree, they won't take you no matter the grade you come out with. Moreover, do you know that the Nigerian govt has outlawed online degrees for employment and promotion in the Nigerian civil service?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by preciousnobel(m): 9:12pm On Nov 21, 2016
Hello! Learned Nairalanders, I would like to seek your counsel on careers in the academia. I hold a Btech in Physiology from Lautech with a 2nd Class Upper. What are the perks to the minimum level for a lecturing position? And my chances?
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by AutoCarTracker(m): 9:14pm On Nov 21, 2016
Nwaonyeocha:
I am 42 years old, my highest qualification is HND.
It is my desire to be a lecturer kindly advise me on how to make this dream a reality.

* Should I start afresh with a Bachelors [I want to move from Mass Communication to Business course]
* How many years of extra study will it take me?
* If I am going back to school, what should be my most important priority?
* I would like to be involved in research and writing extensively - which kind of senior lecturers should I look up to?
You can have your PGD on business course then you can startup your masters, I think its only few universities in Nigeria accept HND for PGD programmes, check UNIBEN

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by deborsky(m): 9:16pm On Nov 21, 2016
ObadakiM:
Those of you that are saying 'OP' can't lecture with HND+PGD+Msc+PhD, you are all wrong.
this is a screen shot from UNIBen website.
OP you can get to the peak of your career in the field of lecturing if you want to. There is no need to go start all over from point zero.
It's a slap to even dream about that.
http://profiles.uniben.edu/full_profile.php?id=5362&OTI-%20EMMANUEL%20OTINTA
No promotion for him, who knows if he is doing his degree already. Don't get it at wrong my dear
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Timossa(m): 9:16pm On Nov 21, 2016
You can go for masters if you have the money, because with your masters degree, you have a very good advantage over someone with a first degree.

On the other hand, you can start with lecturing in a polytechnic with your Bachelor after putting for a full time or part time lecturing job.

I hope this information helps...

Best wishes.

chimoskyg:

Good responses
I am a graduate of Eco Edu, and will love to lecture which I have always desired.
Can I get a lecturing job with just Degree or I should go for Master?

Thank u
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by chimoskyg(m): 9:24pm On Nov 21, 2016
Timossa:
You can go for masters if you have the money, because with your masters degree, you have a very good advantage over someone with a first degree.

On the other hand, you can start with lecturing in a polytechnic with your Bachelor after putting for a full time or part time lecturing job.

I hope this information helps...

Best wishes.

Thanks appreciate!

It a 2:1 Bsc Ed economics from Unijos and will love to go for masters in major Econs
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by AprokoNaija: 9:26pm On Nov 21, 2016
skedman:
guy I don't want to call you a fool, at the age of 42 you can't still figure out what you want to become in life. What type of question is this, do you really want to become a lecturer or you just came to make fool of your self. You said senior lecturer or assistant lecturer . What have they turn nigerian university into . Guy park well . An inspiring lecturer coming to social media for advice instead of going to meet other lecturer for advice

You are a fool and a big one at that. I only pray by the time you attained the OP's age you have the wisdom to see the direction of your life. idiot!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by ObadakiM: 9:30pm On Nov 21, 2016
deborsky:

No promotion for him, who knows if he is doing his degree already. Don't get it at wrong my dear

Guy did you say no promotion? Did you know the steps u ll need to climb before being called a lecturer II? When he gets his PhD he 'll be given lecturer l /a reader (associate prof) and gradually he 'll become a prof.
If you want to know if he is doing fine, there is nothing bad if u put a call through to your friends in Uniben, only then can you come on this platform to condem him
Thanks
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by expensive2(f): 9:31pm On Nov 21, 2016
pls help me out.....m a graduate wit bsc mass commn wat should I do......?? should I go for masters or PGD and m planning to go for a professional course I studied in benin rep......... and m 21 I want to work has a mass comm lecturer
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Godsknight(m): 9:33pm On Nov 21, 2016
STARGREEN:

Oga am sorry oh...but with the age u stated I am compelled to assumed that you have grown beyond certain infantry questions like " Should I go Mass Communication, I am sure to make that grade".
Few advises on page one is more than enough to drive your passion towards your dream. In spite of how excellent our suggestions seems/are....the final decision must come from you. You are a man....man the instinct. Once i look towards hearing they future testimonies
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by mkoabiola: 9:40pm On Nov 21, 2016
This discrimination is not helping matters
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by ObadakiM: 9:42pm On Nov 21, 2016
tobiasbeecher:

Bro, I really don't know when your friend was employed as a lecturer, but judging by his profile I will say it has been for some time. In recent time, NUC has instituted a lot of changes in the university system. These changes affected some lecturers that made some of them be converted into a non-academic staff. For example, before people do lecture with professional master's degree, but NUC outlawed it. Again, they gave a specific timetable for lecturers who have not acquired their PhD to do so or risk losing their jobs. I had a lecturer then who nearly lost his job because he graduated from Alvan IkoKu College of Education degree programme which they were running as an affiliation with a university. They said he did not have a regular BSc degree and that the BSc degree he has acquired was from an affiliation programme. He was suspended for many months but was later readmitted because his godfather was the Deputy Vice Chancellor Academics then. What we are saying is that if you're pursuing a lecturing job in a govt owned universities without ''IM'' and with an HND+MSc degree, they won't take you no matter the grade you come out with. Moreover, do you know that the Nigerian govt has outlawed online degrees for employment and promotion in the Nigerian civil service?
My brother you are contradicting yourself.
The topic here is that can a HND holder with Msc lecture in the University I said yes and I provided evidence.
Now there is no law even from NUC(I stand to be corrected only with facts/links/memo) stating that you can lecture if u have HND+Pgd+Msc+PhD, Send me the memo/link and I 'll keep shut.
How many PhD holders do u think we have in Nigeria,very few and that is why NUC&NBTE are encouraging lecturers to go for PhD.
That is why there are rooms for GA, AL so that they can grow.
I still stand on my point, convince me by given me a link where it is stated that HND+pgd+Msc+PhD can't lecture in the University
Thanks

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Laryne(m): 9:47pm On Nov 21, 2016
deborsky:

polytechnics in Nigeria don't offer courses under education. But u can apply if ur course is being offered under a faculty different from education, afterall education courses are double honors. E.g Bus Admin Edu, can lecture in bus admin dept in polytechnics.
It's actually Education in English.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by domino74: 10:04pm On Nov 21, 2016
Google kwara state university for degree conversion courses
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Damfostopper(m): 10:13pm On Nov 21, 2016
pls anybody has idea about the conversion of HND to Bsc?... should pls explain it for me
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Damfostopper(m): 10:15pm On Nov 21, 2016
domino74:
Google kwara state university for degree conversion courses
pls how does it work?
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by na2016: 10:30pm On Nov 21, 2016
Fxwarrior:

Shut up. Thank me later.

Fool, what do you know. Get out!!!
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by lambvard: 10:31pm On Nov 21, 2016
LARRYDKING:

Just register with jamb, submit ur credentials at the senate building of the university, meet the earlier stated criteria and await admission list. No need for any exam.

I really appreciate that. With my distinction both ND and HND. I need to try this. Then how much is the school fee.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Rebuke: 10:43pm On Nov 21, 2016
tobiasbeecher:

Your question is a bit complicated, but I will try to answer it clearly. First, if you have a poor BSc grade you cannot get a graduate assistant lecturing position which is the entry position for people with BSc only. if you already have an MSc, you won't be considered for this position. To secure a graduate assistant lecturing position in most universities, you need to have a minimum of second class upper and above. So your BSc counts in this position. However, if you have a poor BSc grade and wishes to lecture, you have to make sure you make a good grade in your PGD (assuming your grade is too low to secure a direct Master's programme) so that you can be considered for a master's programme. If you make a good grade in your master's programme (by good grade I mean PhD grade), then your chances of securing an Assistant lecturing position is high. Lol but with a godfather, all these requirements maybe bypassed! I hope I have answered your question?

Thank you very much for your time. I thought PGD is meant to upgrade your result though.

Then how true is it that our renown Professor Wale Soyinka graduated with a third class?

Just wondering how he managed to pull through.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by dantanik(m): 10:44pm On Nov 21, 2016
Carmal90:
Am also considering going for bsc next year all things be equal, I studied engineering,pls if u have clues if university in Nigeria Within South West that I can apply and be admitted to 300level. Pls and pls hint me
no any uni in nigeria will admit u to 300l, u can only be admitted to 200l
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by mechanics(m): 10:53pm On Nov 21, 2016
Mind u, if u continue with ur PGD and masters u can't become a lecturer in a university except polytechnics and COEs, d best is to enter thru direct entry, u can be give dat course if ur 0 level rhym with wat u wat to apply 4, and my advice is 4 u to continue with wat u read, cos once u deviate 4rm ur foundation to get to ur peak in lecturing with b easy, all d best sir.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by lacum: 10:54pm On Nov 21, 2016
spice123:
My brother, I am currently in the teaching profession with HND and it's paying me well. Just go and do a Post Graduate Diploma in Education ( 1 year) for a start. A lot of Polytechnics need lecturers. You can start from there and then do your masters degree and move to a University. By then you must have gained at least 2 years lecturing experience before moving to a University. Nigeria work is solely based on experience and not just carrying certificate around. #speaking from concrete experience#
my bro i have a degree and pgde from nti but i am in search of a good school. pls if u know of any both secondary and tertiary any where in nigeria inform me or send me a pm pls am begging u. by the way, i am in owerri and a graduate of economics.
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by intruder15(m): 10:58pm On Nov 21, 2016
ade2008:

I'm in the system, working in a polytechnic, state owned. This is not hearsay, assumption, direct experience. With HND you can only be employed as a technologist or instructor(high cgpa). Note lecturer cadre is different from instructor cadre. I repeat, in Nigeria, no university will employ him as a lecturer even with HND+PGD+MSC, only polytechnic can. Many lecturers in the polytechnic with HND+PGD+MSC are now going back for degree so that can they have the opportunity to work in the university. Gone are the days HND are employed as instructor in the university and rise to be a professor. OP, my advice for you, if you really want to work in academics settings get the degree, and then your master. Dont go through the PGD+MSC path especially if you wish to work later as a reaseacher(lecturer) in the university. You will surely need the degree. This information is from a reliable source, i'm one of the victim of this abnormal system in this country. Be wise in your decision, dont waste your money and time. We are in the same age bracket, age is not a barrier to achieve your dream but take wise decision now. If you've academic Godfather you can neglect this advice. Goodluck
instead of starting afresh, why dont they pursue doctorate? I had a lecturer that taught with hnd+pgd+msc+phd

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by ObadakiM: 10:59pm On Nov 21, 2016
dantanik:

no any uni in nigeria will admit u to 300l, u can only be admitted to 200l
HND Engineering will be admitted into 300level and HND Management/Science will be admitted into 200level. The reason is because, there is a law by NUC that before you earn a degree, U must have spent 3yrs at the University. Engineering is a 5yr course and if u start from 300level u would have spent 3years. Management /Science is a 4year course and if u start frm 200level u would have spent 3years by the time u graduate. So your discipline and grade (not in all cases) determines the point of entry.
Thanks
Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by Profandie(m): 11:00pm On Nov 21, 2016
Good evening my people.
if I do a pgd in noun then go and do msc in a conventional uni,can I still be considered for a lecturing job ?Meaning do they look at where u did your pgd (noun)? and will it affect my chances?
please advice
thanks in anticipation

1 Like

Re: I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me by tonididdy(m): 11:16pm On Nov 21, 2016
Hardarmson:
This is the first post ever that i will read from A-Z in nairaland.. not because others had not made sense to me but this make me realise that there is one spirit living inside me that made me resist going back for my HND after i finished my ND since 2014... Though i always put in for D.E but haven't click yet.. now i am going to try write another Jamb because i thought writting jamb was another waisting of time together with the time waisted in my N.D days... thank you everybody.
we are on same mission....pls add me on whatsapp lets ride along 08159047633

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Meet Malam Abba Gandu From Kano, Who Has Been Feeding Lions For The Pass 50yrs / Sleep With Me Or I Fire You - My Female Boss. / Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.