Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,285 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:50 AM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (118) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (639422 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (305) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 8:38am On Dec 22, 2013
jfkenny.:

Dr lomax thanks ones again. what should I do for this bacteria over growth to cut down.

I don't how the issue of therapy is done in this thread. You may need to see a doctor in person.

PS: I'll still send you a private e-mail.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 8:42am On Dec 22, 2013
adeola_drg: Good Job Dr Lomaxx. GBU

Thanks.

You're the right person to ask this. Is Rifaximin available in Nigeria ? How expensive is it?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Lagusta(m): 9:33am On Dec 22, 2013
lomaxx what are you looking for on this thread angry

Nice job jare grin

But Plss keep your clerking questions brief, patients usually get fed up Cos of too many, sometimes irrelevant questions.....

1 Like

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by dominique(f): 10:05am On Dec 22, 2013
lomaxx:

I don't how the issue of therapy is done in this thread. You may need to see a doctor in person.

Nice job you're doing here Lomaxx. Though outright prescription of drugs is not advisable here, there's nothing wrong in making recommendations once you've narrowed down the possible causes like you did with jfkenny

@Dr. Lagusta I don't any of the questions were irrelevant. He needs to get a clear picture of the situation naa smiley
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 10:20am On Dec 22, 2013
Lagusta: lomaxx what are you looking for on this thread angry

I was just strolling around. Now you're here... tongue

But Plss keep your clerking questions brief,

Nobody has died from answering too many questions.

patients usually get fed up Cos of too many, sometimes irrelevant questions .....

I'm yet to notice an irrelevant question. You ask to rule out possible differentials right?

I'll highlight some cases I met here.

1) Hyperactive bowel sounds - each question was relevant to the diagnosis, if you noticed.

2) Anosmia of 2 year duration. Each question was relevant too.

My possible differentials are nasal polyps, chronic sinusitis, and most strongly - olfactory groove meningioma (a slowly growing tumour that presents typically as anosmia+ dull headache+ other neurologic signs later on). Most commonly diagnosed in late stages when the tumour is big and presents with space occupying signs ).
Each question was relevant.

Doctors are not trained to be magicians. Especially when the condition is 1) not a spot diagnosis and 2) when it's chronic.

I believe any patient that needs help should take patience and answer small questions. For his own good.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Lagusta(m): 2:12pm On Dec 22, 2013
lomaxx:

I was just strolling around. Now you're here... tongue

Nobody has died from answering too many questions.

I'm yet to notice an irrelevant question. You ask to rule out possible differentials right?

I'll highlight some cases I met here.

1) Hyperactive bowel sounds - each question was relevant to the diagnosis, if you noticed.

2) Anosmia of 2 year duration. Each question was relevant too.

My possible differentials are nasal polyps, chronic sinusitis, and most strongly - olfactory groove hemangioma (a slowly growing tumour that presents typically as anosmia+ dull headache+ other neurologic signs later on). Most commonly diagnosed in late stages when the tumour is big and presents with space occupying signs ).
Each question was relevant.

Doctors are not trained to be magicians. Especially when the condition is 1) not a spot diagnosis and 2) when it's chronic.

I believe any patient that needs help should take patience and answer small questions. For his own good.

I never said your questions are irrelevant, if you noticed....

For example, the case of the guy with parasthesias, I had already known it was likely a thyroid disorder, so I personally won't ask for polyuria/polydypsia, I.e in the body of history, I'll leave that for the past medical history, which is not elegant in an online forum like this.....

But no issues shaa, keep it up
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Lagusta(m): 2:26pm On Dec 22, 2013
dominique:

Nice job you're doing here Lomaxx. Though outright prescription of drugs is not advisable here, there's nothing wrong in making recommendations once you've narrowed down the possible causes like you did with jfkenny

@Dr. Lagusta I don't any of the questions were irrelevant. He needs to get a clear picture of the situation naa smiley

Auntie I understand, but I have studied patients, and one thing I know is asking them too many questions may make them confused, bored and even irritated, some may believe the doctors don't know what they are doing, therefore trust is lost.....
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by jfkenny(m): 2:39pm On Dec 22, 2013
lomaxx:

dear doc.this is my email.kam2020@ymail.com.good tidings to u.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by adexchamp(m): 3:01pm On Dec 22, 2013
Please what can be a problem if someone is seeing blood in his/her stool...
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 4:23pm On Dec 22, 2013
Lagusta:

For example, the case of the guy with parasthesias, I had already known it was likely a thyroid disorder, so I personally won't ask for polyuria/polydypsia, I.e in the body of history, I'll leave that for the past medical history,

DM is the commonest metabolic cause of paraesthesias. It was safe to rule it out.

But no issues shaa, keep it up

Thanks.
Hail your nurses for me sha grin grin
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 6:37pm On Dec 22, 2013
adexchamp: Please what can be a problem if someone is seeing blood in his/her stool...

Is the blood streaked on the stool or mixed with the stool?

Is it dark-brown blood or bright-red blood?

Is this person passing hard and scanty stool?

Does this person strain to pass stool?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by NadiaSA1(f): 7:42pm On Dec 22, 2013
Doc please I have a prob of swollen boobs..my boobs get really swollen nd sore for days then stops for a while thinking I'm better but today it has started again

What could b the problem
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by adeoladrg(m): 8:17pm On Dec 22, 2013
lomaxx:

Thanks.

You're the right person to ask this. Is Rifaximin available in Nigeria ? How expensive is it?

Try visiting any healthplus or medplus pharmacy branch at Ikeja or VI. They order their drugs directly from the UK. It has the brand name- Xifaxan. Heard Chinese generics were available in Lagos.

U could order it from those Internet pharmacies preferably the Canadian ones. They av the best price so far, only next to India.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 9:24pm On Dec 22, 2013
Nadia_SA1: Doc please I have a prob of swollen boobs.. my boobs get really swollen nd sore for days then stops for a while thinking I'm better but today it has started again

What could b the problem

Does the breast soreness and swelling get really worse few days to your period?

Does it improve when your period starts or few days after?

PS: Breast soreness (usually accompanied with swelling) is common among women of reproductive age. It can be cyclical (related to your menstrual cycle) or non-cyclical (the opposite).

It is typically cyclical most of the time(which is why I asked those questions up there) and shouldn't arouse fear(if it is the only breast symptom you have).

Wear good, supporting bras when you have those sore episodes. Painkillers help...topical pain killers most especially. You can get this off any pharmacy.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Haryanphe(f): 10:49pm On Dec 22, 2013
Doc, pls keep up the good work you are doing right here. I would like to know the likely causes of adult bedwetting and the drugs one can take to stop it. Could be as a result of bladder malfunctioning or what. Thank you in advance for your proferred solution
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 11:25pm On Dec 22, 2013
Haryanphe: Doc, pls keep up the good work you are doing right here. I would like to know the likely causes of adult bedwetting and the drugs one can take to stop it. Could be as a result of bladder malfunctioning or what. Thank you in advance for your proferred solution

Is this person male or female?

How old is he/she?

Did the bedwetting start in adulthood or did it continue from childhood?

How long has this happened?

How many times does this happen per night? And how many nights per week?

During the day, does this person urinate frequently(if yes, how many times) ?

Does this person feel an urgent need to pass urine in the day?

Does this person find urine already in his/her underwear on the way to relief himself/herself of urine?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Cvesta(m): 12:43am On Dec 23, 2013
lomaxx:

So for 2 years now, you've been unable to smell. Let's go over your history. Sometime ago you had nasal congestion...and you went to a doctor. It's unusual for someone to see a doctor over nasal congestion. That was your first episode of inability to smell. Now you can't smell even without a congested nose.

How serious was the nasal congestion 2 years ago? Was it a "running nose" ?

What was the doctor's diagnosis?

Why did he say it would re-occur? What did he do for you?

Just answer some small questions:

Did you start losing your smell ability gradually or it just started suddenly?

Do you have allergies ? Like sneezing

Did you have an inability to taste back then (when u first noticed your inability to smell)?

Do you have an inability to taste now?

Do you have breathing problems?

Do you snore? Or have people complained about your sleeping habit?

Do you still have running nose? If yes, how often.

Do you have problems with seeing( like seeing double) ?

Have you hit your head before?

Do you have memory problems?

Have you noticed any change in your personality?

Do you smoke? Or work in places where you're exposed to toxic gases or chemicals?

Has your voice changed over the years?
i went to c a doc nt 4 nasal congestn but 4 loss of smell ability..wen d catarh started,i cudnt smel,i felt it was probably a blockage of d nasal pathway,but wen d catarh stop 4 days n i noticed i stil kudnt smell,dat was wen i went to c d doc...my taste was a little affected in d early stage but it has bcum normal 4long..i snore sumtims,i started smokin herb less dan 7months 2d incident,tho occasionally,sumtims i could go a month without smokin, n even in d period i smoke, dey were nt much,a stick or 2 a day,none on sum days....i was a student in d varsity wen it happened....i breathe well,no allergies,stil av runnin nose once in a while,i wsnt workin as @ den
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Cvesta(m): 12:47am On Dec 23, 2013
lomaxx:

So for 2 years now, you've been unable to smell. Let's go over your history. Sometime ago you had nasal congestion...and you went to a doctor. It's unusual for someone to see a doctor over nasal congestion. That was your first episode of inability to smell. Now you can't smell even without a congested nose.

How serious was the nasal congestion 2 years ago? Was it a "running nose" ?

What was the doctor's diagnosis?

Why did he say it would re-occur? What did he do for you?

Just answer some small questions:

Did you start losing your smell ability gradually or it just started suddenly?

Do you have allergies ? Like sneezing

Did you have an inability to taste back then (when u first noticed your inability to smell)?

Do you have an inability to taste now?

Do you have breathing problems?

Do you snore? Or have people complained about your sleeping habit?

Do you still have running nose? If yes, how often.

Do you have problems with seeing( like seeing double) ?

Have you hit your head before?

Do you have memory problems?

Have you noticed any change in your personality?

Do you smoke? Or work in places where you're exposed to toxic gases or chemicals?

Has your voice changed over the years?
i went to c a doc nt 4 nasal congestn but 4 loss of smell ability..wen d catarh started,i cudnt smel,i felt it was probably a blockage of d nasal pathway,but wen d catarh stop 4 days n i noticed i stil kudnt smell,dat was wen i went to c d doc...d doctor only gave vitamin C n a few non special drus,notin i tink i avnt seen b4..my taste ability was a ''little'' affected in d early stage but it has bcum normal 4long..i snore sumtims,i started smokin herb less dan 7months 2d incident,tho occasionally,sumtims i could go a month without smokin, n even in d period i smoke, dey were nt much,a stick or 2 a day,none on sum days....i was a student in d varsity wen it happened....i breathe well,no allergies,stil av runnin nose once in a while,i wsnt workin as @ den
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 1:39am On Dec 23, 2013
Cvesta:
i went to c a doc nt 4 nasal congestn but 4 loss of smell ability..wen d catarh started,i cudnt smel,i felt it was probably a blockage of d nasal pathway,but wen d catarh stop 4 days n i noticed i stil kudnt smell,dat was wen i went to c d doc...d doctor only gave vitamin C n a few non special drus,notin i tink i avnt seen b4..my taste ability was a ''little'' affected in d early stage but it has bcum normal 4long..i snore sumtims,i started smokin herb less dan 7months 2d incident,tho occasionally,sumtims i could go a month without smokin, n even in d period i smoke, dey were nt much,a stick or 2 a day,none on sum days....i was a student in d varsity wen it happened....i breathe well,no allergies,stil av runnin nose once in a while,i wsnt workin as @ den

I have a strong index of suspicion you have an olfactory groove meningioma. It's subject to confirmation or otherwise as you make an appointment with your ENT doctor.

Olfactory groove meningioma is a slowly growing tumour that most typically causes chronic inability to smell as the first presenting symptom.

Your ability to smell is due to communication between nerves that transmit between your nose and brain. When a tumour (OGM)impinges on these nerves, you can't smell again.

Typically, this tumour grows slowly. As it keeps growing, it might impinge on other functions like your ability to see(optic nerve).....it can occupy so much space and cause more problems. You mentioned occasional headaches that was severe enough to affect your reading during your final year. That's one of the space occupying issues of this tumour.

Bottomline: You need to see an ENT doctor ASAP. The faster you do, the better for you.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Rehn(m): 3:06am On Dec 23, 2013
Doctors in the House, PLEASE i want to sell one of my kidney. Please any lead?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Haryanphe(f): 6:31am On Dec 23, 2013
[quote author=lomaxx]

Is this person male or female?

How old is he/she?

Did the bedwetting start in adulthood or did it continue from childhood?

How long has this happened?

How many times does this happen per night? And how many nights per week?

During the day, does this person urinate frequently(if yes, how many times) ?

Does this person feel an urgent need to pass urine in the day?

Does this person find urine already in his/her underwear on the way to relief himself/herself of urine?

Doctor, this person is my younger sister,she is 23 years old, it started from childhood but at aperiod in adolescent,the bedwetting stopped only to continue again in adulthood. At times it happen twice per night,at other times it would be a dry night. She does not bedwet always but on a tiring day or a cold night. During the day, she urinate frequently especially after taking a lot of fluid. There are usually urgent pressing need to pass urine but there wouldn't be urine in her underwears. Thank you doctor.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by edimalo(m): 12:26pm On Dec 23, 2013
Pls can a Doctor in house answer this pleae.

Of late I've been having pin pricks around my body. What could be responsible and what can I do.

edimalo: hello Doctors in the house,

I did a Glucose blood test and the result was 6.58 H mmol/L

please what's the meaning .

I had earlier gone to the hospital based on my last post of itching/burning sensation and was told to go for test.

need as much help as I can get.

thanks.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by bazrule1(m): 12:32pm On Dec 23, 2013
edimalo: Pls can a Doctor in house answer this pleae.

Of late I've been having pin pricks around my body. What could be responsible and what can I do.

hi, am also having the same symptoms its been on for a month, pin pricks and it affects my sleep and at times muscle moves. I just hope on Jesus my healer.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Cvesta(m): 4:13pm On Dec 23, 2013
lomaxx:

I have a strong index of suspicion you have an olfactory groove meningioma. It's subject to confirmation or otherwise as you make an appointment with your ENT doctor.

Olfactory groove meningioma is a slowly growing tumour that most typically causes chronic inability to smell as the first presenting symptom.

Your ability to smell is due to communication between nerves that transmit between your nose and brain. When a tumour (OGM)impinges on these nerves, you can't smell again.

Typically, this tumour grows slowly. As it keeps growing, it might impinge on other functions like your ability to see(optic nerve).....it can occupy so much space and cause more problems. You mentioned occasional headaches that was severe enough to affect your reading during your final year. That's one of the space occupying issues of this tumour.

Bottomline: You need to see an ENT doctor ASAP. The faster you do, the better for you.

Tanks alot
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 4:38pm On Dec 23, 2013
Haryanphe:

You mentioned that she bedwets especially after a tiring day or on a cold night. That's striking. Which makes me ask- why does she take "lots of fluid" in the day ? Is she unusually very thirsty?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 4:40pm On Dec 23, 2013
edimalo: Pls can a Doctor in house answer this pleae.

bazrule1:

hi, am also having the same symptoms its been on for a month, pin pricks and it affects my sleep and at times muscle moves. I just hope on Jesus my healer.

Check the previous page.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Haryanphe(f): 9:36pm On Dec 23, 2013
[quote author=lomaxx]

You mentioned that she bedwets especially after a tiring day or on a cold night. That's striking. Which makes me ask- why does she take "lots of fluid" in the day ? Is she unusually very thirsty?

She takes it to stay hydrated.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 10:03pm On Dec 23, 2013
[quote author=Haryanphe][/quote]

Why does she need to stay hydrated?

Is she unusually very thirsty?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Cregon: 2:37pm On Dec 24, 2013
hello doc, i think i have narcolepsy. I sleep at every little chance. In sch, it disturbs me as i cant stay up 4 abt an hour straight without sleeping in btw. Please wat do i do?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Haryanphe(f): 2:58pm On Dec 24, 2013
lomaxx:

Why does she need to stay hydrated?

Is she unusually very thirsty?

yes, she use to be unusually thirsty
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by lomaxx: 5:54pm On Dec 24, 2013
Haryanphe:

yes, she use to be unusually thirsty

She needs to see an endocrinologist.

She most likely has either of Type 1 diabetes mellitus or Diabetes insipidus. Her bladder is okay.

Meanwhile, you can do the flly tests: 1) Fasting plasma glucose 2) Serum electrolytes, urea and creatinine 3)
Urinalysis.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by adexchamp(m): 8:55pm On Dec 24, 2013
@ Lomaxx.....The blood doesn't mix with the stool it comes out by itself after stooling and its dark red,meanwhile the person doesn't strain to pass the stool..

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (305) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.