Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,453 members, 7,770,125 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:42 AM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (629994 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (305) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by gentleone(f): 5:07pm On Mar 09, 2006
@nicetohave, thanks. its actually fungal, it gets swollen and painful just below the cuticle.there was a tablet i used to take then(back in 94,forgotten the name) but it didnt help, it comes and goes but i've not had it since last year.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 7:24am On Mar 12, 2006
@ gentleone youre welcome. If it comes and goes, make sure you take note of the predisposing factors and see that you take the medication for about three to six months, inadequate dosing and too short a length of time for treatment contributes to recurrence

@ Rolly I'll get back at your question later.

MIGRAINE HEADACHE:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/migraine-headache/DS00120/DSECTION=1
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nawah(f): 12:10am On Mar 14, 2006
Perhaps I too can get some advice here.
I have had 3 missed abortions in the last year. How can I prevent it happening and what could be the reason.
MY Doctor here un Germany insists I do genetic tests with my husband but we already have 5 kids together.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 5:29pm On Mar 14, 2006
After 5 kids i am amused that you are still craving more kids cheesy but be that as it may a lot will depend on whether the abortions are:

1) within the first 3 months of pregnancy in which case causes are more of fetal than maternal, here a genetic counselling is advisable. Plus you didnt mention your age, risk of a "genetic accident" which may or may not lead to abortion increases steadily with maternal age greater than 35, at age greater than 35 risks for conditions like down's syndrome and other congenital abnormalities is high

2) between 3 - 6months of pregnancy, in which case the causes of abortion are mostly maternal than fetal and causes can include a patulous cervix which is unable to support the pregnancy.

3) between 6 -9 months, in which causes are usually mostly unknown. A full workup will then be required but at this age of the pregnancy a genetic cause will be unlikely.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nawah(f): 5:46pm On Mar 14, 2006
the abortions were all between the 8-10th week.
I guess age is not on my side with 40 embarassed.
What can I do to prevent this happening again?
Is it possible that a hormonal imbalance may also contribute to this problem. In all three cases there was no fetal abnormality.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 5:52pm On Mar 14, 2006
yes age is not on your side but then you could still have a viable baby.

As i said the causes in this case is more genetic and the doctors are right to request a genetic counselling. If there is a problem with the chromosomal arrangements in a fetus within that age, in some cases it aborts.

There is nothing you can do to prevent it, just keep trying and praying. However avoid the usual things, no xrays, good diet, plenty of rest (maybe take the time off once you know youre pregnant)

Hormonal imbalance as a cause? I doubt very much or let me say it is unlikely.

on a last note, you can still get pregnant and you can still have a normal baby but if i were you id follow your doctors recommendation if you so much want another baby, at 40.

God bless you.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nawah(f): 6:19pm On Mar 14, 2006
Thank-you for your advice. I definitely will go for genetic counseling as soon as my husband gets back into the country. You have convinced me.
I do hope it does not ever end this way again.
I really have been burning the candles at two ends but I intend to slow down now.
So glad you are here to give quick advice. I do miss living in Nigeriawhere i had a few friends who were doctors and one could always discus issues
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 8:52pm On Mar 14, 2006
glad to be of help, thats why NL is home away from home cool and remember with God all things are possible
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 1:47am On Mar 15, 2006
Nails: How to keep your fingernails healthy and strong

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nails/WO00020
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by bigbumper(f): 11:16pm On Mar 15, 2006
Nice/good to be back. Self discharged myself from maternity emergencies unit again. I still have a while to go with EDD 21st June 2006, have heard enough of 6cm dilated, 7cm dilated,  grin grin grin

Rheummy says not to panic as people with connective tissue disorders go on to have healthy babies, but OB/GYN says pregnancy is her speciality hence have to treat as high risk pregnancy, due to high creatinine level 6.0, HB 9.9, blood pressure 148/85, protein++in urine, blood++ in urine, and leucocytte+++ in urine, ,

Have to do scan to check for fibroids and multiple blood test for hypothyroidism, lupus, C3, C4, LFT, plus about 12 other blood tests. Scared of forthcoming blood tests because of low blood volume due to being anaemic and fluctuating blood pressure due to POTS. A Consultant Anaesthetist has to take blood everytime because of severe difficulty in drawing blood from me.   

Went to pick up prescription for cocodamol  from chemist today, as I had to come off Tramadol and amytryphthyline, and described current symptoms to Pharmacist. He wrote Symphisis Pubis Dysfunction on a complimentary card and advised me to give it to OB/GYN. I just dey collect medical condition like say I dey collect treasures and medals.  sad sad sad  I don tire o.

1 Like

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 12:43am On Mar 16, 2006
hang in there, you'll make it. I feel you
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by gentleone(f): 4:56pm On Mar 17, 2006
nicetohave:

Nails: How to keep your fingernails healthy and strong

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nails/WO00020

thanks, guess its because i perspire a lot and my dad used to have it too.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 8:29pm On Mar 17, 2006
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 3:02am On Mar 22, 2006
Male depression: Don't ignore the symptoms

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/male-depression/MC00041
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Rolly: 4:47pm On Mar 24, 2006
people, i think this is awesome! i was watching the TLC channel last week and they were showing AMAZING MEDICAL STORIES and they showed so many awesome things.

there was this old lady who had a tumor like stuff in her body. this thing had been there since 1989, the year i was born! shocked but she didnt want to go to the hospital bocs she said that her husband went in and never came out, as in he died so she was scared of hospitals.Anyway, this thing kept on growing and growing but luckily for her, it wasnt cancerous so it didnt destroy any of her vital organs, it was like squeezing her heart out of the way to get more space. like having an overblown pregnancy! shocked anyhow, she finally went to the doctor i think last year or this year and they took it out. this tumor thing weighed about 120 pounds , the size of a grown human shocked shocked shocked shocked it was awesome!!!!

there was this other guy who was an athlete, he had and operation and someplace in his body got infected or so. then his limbs were not recieveing blood again, they started turning purple then gengrene or something like that set in. his limbs were like decaying shocked it was bad and gross but my eyes were glued to the TV. anyway, they had to cut his legs and arms off cos there was nothing they could do to help him. he became a quadro-something. but after that, they did therapy for him, gave him iron-like arms and legs, he got married and he is livng just like the rest of us now. isnt that amazing?!!!!

the most Awesome one was where a guy broke his thumb and had POP on for like 2 weeks. when they finally took the POP off, they found that he had bone infection. so they had to take out the thumb bone. the doctor said that they would have to replace that bone with anoda bone. you ppl know how they take meat or muscle from one part of the body to put in anoda part right? Anyways they took part of the tibia, i think . they measured the lenght of the thumb and cut out that bone form the leg. they took the artery that feeds that bone too. then put it in the thumb. it was amazing!!!! shocked shocked shocked seriously! then when they finished, the guy had a brand new thumb but no joint, he had a thumb nonetheless.

it was all so amazing!!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin

1 Like

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 4:58pm On Mar 24, 2006
I bet you cant wait for the day you'll perform one of those "miracles" on someone yourself cheesy cheesy cheesy

miss you girl cool

I'll be around you briefly in another week, you know what i mean
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Rolly: 5:03pm On Mar 24, 2006
yup! i cannot wait!!!!! it is soooo exciting!!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

i miss u too cheesy

are u serious!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked hurry!!!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Rolly: 7:59pm On Mar 27, 2006
i was watching TV the other day and a doctor was talking about helping a woman who had cancer and he gave her a drug, i dont remember the name. but he said that the drug blocks the artery(ries) that feed the cancer thing so if the cancer thing cannot be fed, it would die. could this be a cure for cancer?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 8:14pm On Mar 27, 2006
Not exactly. Remember the greatest concern in cancer aside their high virulent nature is their ability to multiply and spread, once they spread to other organs, the patient lifetime survival dramatically reduces.

The greatest ambush against cancer is catching it early and nipping it in the mud, if it grows other measures are less predictable in their cure rate.

The future of cancer cure, if we will ever get there is at the molecular level.

Cutting of its blood supply is good, affords the patient some respite but not a cure.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 9:42pm On Mar 27, 2006
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Rolly: 4:32pm On Mar 28, 2006
Thank you. that was very informative. but i have one question.
Are u saying that as soon as person has cancer whether they know it or not, it begins to spread?like to every other organ? because i was thinking that, if it is detected in the early stages in which it has not yet spread and the supply is blocked sholuldnt it go away like leave die and leave the person's body because if the blood supply is cut in the early stages, it will not be able to spread to other parts and so that would make it easier it "catch" right?
i know i'm missing something here but i can lay my finger on it.

Is it that no matter how early it is detected, it would have spread to other organs in the body?

Also when they say "life after cancer" in the article, do they mean that the person is treating cancer for life or that it has been treated but he/she still has to undergotreatment(like recovery)so the cancer doesnt come back?

Life After Cancer 

More and more people are benefiting from the early detection of cancer and its successful treatment. These medical advances are improving both quality of life and length of survival, permitting many survivors to continue full and productive lives at home and at work.

Nevertheless, national data regarding life after cancer are limited. They include:

Survival rates for cancer by each stage at diagnosis (Survival)
The estimated total number of survivors
The economic impact of cancer (Cost of cancer care)
Few national measures are available that reflect health-related quality of life for cancer survivors, such as:

The ability of cancer survivors to perform daily tasks
The impact of cancer on employment and insurability
The effects of cancer on family and loved ones
These and other measures related to life after cancer are subjects of intense research interest as well as matters of great concern to cancer survivors themselves. Future editions of the Cancer Trends Progress Report will include additional measures in this area.

i think i understand this but doesnt it mean that there is no "life after cancer" because they still keep on treating cancer for the rest of their lives right?

Thank you.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by nicetohave(m): 7:35pm On Mar 28, 2006
Good question.

All cancers do not have the same "damaging" power (to put it in a lay man's language) whilst some will not be detected until they have almost completed the damage because they are rapidly dividing (like the small cell carcinoma of the lungs) some can go for years without even spreading allowing for early detection and "cure" (like the squamous cell carcinoma of the vulva)

The kind of epithelium the cancer grows from also determines a lot, certain types are more deadly than the other and others have early screening tests like the cervical cancer.

cure rates are based on how long a patient will live after commencement of treatment, so we talk about 5, 10, 15 year survival rates after chemo, or radio or surgery treatment depending on the type of cancer.

cancer is a treatable illness, not curable. Aside that most cancer recur, because its origin is not just at the site of occurence but in the genes, so a breast cancer can still recur at the same site where a breast has been removed, same goes for the prostate cancer. Hence the hope for a "real" cancer cure is at the molecular level.

catching it early and treating it confines it to its local area of occurrence and preventing it from spreading. If you catch it in the preinvasive stage then you can do a lot towards ensuring a good quality of life for the patient, once it becomes cancerous the patient manages the cancer with a lifetime of follow up and treatment peculiar to the type of cancer.

the longer it takes to catch the "evil" the lesser the chances of post-treatment survival for the patient.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Rolly: 9:06pm On Mar 28, 2006
wow! now i understand. Thanks a lot! cheesy
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by depressed: 10:10pm On Mar 30, 2006
How would you get over depression with out making it known to your family?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 10:29am On Apr 03, 2006
Part of the whole idea of depression is to talk about it with your doctor or therapist. I feel the support of your family is very important. Gone are the days when there was stigma attached to mental health problems. There are different levels of depresion. Let me know how you get on. Never any point in keeping this secret from your loved ones.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Rolly: 3:21pm On Apr 03, 2006
Excuse me? i have a question.

To the Doctors, when u cut in to a patient like u r trying to do something or stuff like that. is it solid cutting like, when u are cutting/opening the body, is it hard? like when u are cutting chicken u know how the one part moves up and down while u r cutting the other part? is the the same with humans? i'm not in anyway liking humans to chickens its just that when i'm cutting chicken, the other part moves up and down making it hard for me and i keep wondering is this how i will treat my patients? i shudder just thinkin about it.

Thank you
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Rosby(m): 6:37pm On Apr 04, 2006
Doctor,

I need your help, I hardly go to toilet. It keeps me so uncomfortable - a little food swells my stomach and makes me look so tired and heavy.

Thankks for your anticipated help.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Rolly: 6:47pm On Apr 04, 2006
we are doing something about preventing premature birth in school and we have to donate 5 bucks and stuff like that. they say the funds go to the cancer place or something like that. i want to ask does cancer cause premature birth?

thanks cheesy
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Balogun(m): 10:20pm On Apr 04, 2006
Rolly. Three questions. You must be an inquisitive young lady. I believe you want to be a doctor. Your first query about cutting, it depends on which part of the body you are cutting. Going thru the skin is a bit tougher than most people anticipate. Different tissues require different pressure. Sawing thru bone in amputation requires a saw. As far as your toileting goes, plenty fruit and fibre. Help move the toxins on. Unless you have slow metabolism. There are numerous causes of preterm birth. You really need to take your pick. Hormonal, the cervix dilating earlier than it should have list is endless. Hope this satisfies your current curiosity
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Rolly: 2:52pm On Apr 05, 2006
errrm yes, not not really thank you anyway.

1. is cancer one of the causes of premature birth? is it the main/leading cause?

2. About the cutting, u mean that u go slow and steady right? i know u re not supposed to do gra gra but u cut through layer by layer right? u dont just slash a "knife" through the skin abi?

of course because the bone is hard, u use a saw. right. and its like a pocket-knife-kind-of-saw right?

can u please give me a step by step information on how u cut throught the skin in the:
stomach
hand
thigh
back
neck
legs
fingers.

Thank you.
i think some of theses places have almost the same size/inch of skin so u can group them together to make it easy .

Thanks a lot.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Rolly: 3:32pm On Apr 06, 2006
hey peolple! i was watching TLC the other day and i saw something i've never seen before. A faceless baby. this was a baby born with out a fce. due to some defects in the chromosomes of either parents. its something like down's sydrome but much more severe it is called THE TREACHER COLLINS SYNDROME. it had this name because of the guy who found the problem was teacher collins. u can check it out on http://www.treachercollins.org/html
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by dlesieur: 3:20am On Apr 09, 2006
Hello.  I'm looking for some advice on a few symptoms I've been experiencing.  Over the last week I've noticed that I frequently feel the urge to urinate.  I go to the bathroom because I feel like I need to go but sometimes there's just a few drops.  I have no pain or burning.  Just this urge to go.  I'm a female if that helps.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (305) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.