Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (131) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (637216 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) ... (305) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by tobiaboG: 2:15pm On Feb 24, 2015
hello doc in d house, i need ur advice on d best hosp 2 do a family planning, state hosp, fed hosp or private hosp. I reside in kwara state.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 2:43pm On Feb 24, 2015
@Balogun, I'm of AA genotype. I always feel feverish. After taking lumartem, that condition disappears. About two days after completing antimaleria medications, another feverish feeling often begins. I would then take Ciprofloxacin for 14days, and my body health restored. Immediately after completing that, too, feverish feeling would creep in again, and after taking antimalarial, peace would reign in my body. There was a time I took lumartem and ciprox medications together, still, the condition has been like dt for d past 5years. I almost undergo HIV TEST everyday but always negative. Pls, advice me.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by temmytwity(f): 5:30pm On Feb 24, 2015
Xiadnat:

There are many causes for vaginal/vulvar itching.

There is infection: yeast infection, bacterial vaginosis or STI: Is she presenting of other symptoms: discharge, burning, irritation?
There is chemical irritants: has she changed anything her routine like lotion, soaps, perfumes, detergents, douche, shaving creams, sanitary napkins?
There is inflammtory conditions like Linchen planus. Other less likely: vulvar maligancy.

I am guessing she is still premenopausal since she is trying to concieve. Because menopause is primary cause in menopausal or post menopausal or peri menopausal women.

Her case sounds more like irritants of some sort. Investigate the hubby for what he is using on himself as well (lotions, perfumes, condom etc). If this itch persists, might want to take a trip to a gyn and get a pelvic exam. In the mean time, keep the area dry and use mild, non scented feminine wash if you are going to use any. Avoid any possible irritant that might be exercebating it or possibly causing. Tell hubby same; keep free of anything he may be applying on himself.

Pay attention to when you particularly feel the itch- that might point to the cause.

RE: Infertility is not diagnosed until one year of consistent and persistent unprotected intercourse. So, there's still plenty window here.

Good luck!

Thank you
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by fearless07(f): 9:49pm On Feb 24, 2015
Hello Doc, Is there a permanent cure for the treatment of staph. My sister got married about 2yrs ago and during that time, she ran a lab test and staph aureus was seen. She treated it and got pregnant immediately. Fast forward to this year, she ran a test after complaining of mild stomach ache and also did a scan. The urine test and hvs result indicated a yeast infection and scanty growth of staphylococcus seen. She has been placed on drugs that are sensitive to the bacteria. She is confused on what brought about a reoccurence? Please your input would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Rostel2: 10:20pm On Feb 24, 2015
hello doctors in the house, i have a pal that complains of secreting phlegm in his mouth without coughing specially anytime he tries to clear his throat phlegm comes out with it. what can he do?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 4:10am On Feb 25, 2015
fearless07:
Hello Doc, Is there a permanent cure for the treatment of staph. My sister got married about 2yrs ago and during that time, she ran a lab test and staph aureus was seen. She treated it and got pregnant immediately. Fast forward to this year, she ran a test after complaining of mild stomach ache and also did a scan. The urine test and hvs result indicated a yeast infection and scanty growth of staphylococcus seen. She has been placed on drugs that are sensitive to the bacteria. She is confused on what brought about a reoccurence? Please your input would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

If she is otherwise healthy with no serious medical problems, just treat the UTI. The staph is probably contamination. Staph a. can be found normally on skin surfaces.

I wouldn't worry about the staph; she would be better off focusing on her pregnancy.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 4:16am On Feb 25, 2015
Rostel2:
hello doctors in the house, i have a pal that complains of secreting phlegm in his mouth without coughing specially anytime he tries to clear his throat phlegm comes out with it. what can he do?

Post nasal drip. Check for allergens; molds, dust, chemicals, smoke etc. Pay attention to possible triggers.

Try anti histamines (diphenhydramine), nasal sprays (fluticasone) etc.

Any reflux symptoms?

If it persists for some time, go and see ENT doc if you can afford it.

Best.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Dadsonval(f): 10:04am On Feb 25, 2015
Pls, what causes pain @ the upper left side of the rib, the pain is on and off
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Chartey(m): 10:08am On Feb 25, 2015
fearless07:
Please tell her to always go to see a doctor first. The doctor will then tell you the tests to do and interpret the result himself/herself. That Staph is likely just a contamination. Don't just go to labs anyhow.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by haroldrich: 10:30am On Feb 25, 2015
Single person Makes $389,844/Yr in Her Spare Time on The Computer Without Selling
Anything,,, through the site given below
www.jobspase.com
"I basically make $30,000-$40,000 a month online.Through this site.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 12:55pm On Feb 25, 2015
Dadsonval:
Pls, what causes pain @ the upper left side of the rib, the pain is on and off

Costochondritis, muscle sprain/strain. You wear "wire" bras?

Nothing NSAIDs like acetaminophen, Tylenol, ibuprofen, naproxen cant' handle.

1 Like

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Dadsonval(f): 2:13pm On Feb 25, 2015
@ Xiadnat, i was told not to take those drugs cos i av a ulcer, the left side to make some murmoring sounds every seconds wit pains, radiating to my left breast underneath, if i use paracetamol, it will go but the pain will still comes back
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 2:46pm On Feb 25, 2015
Dadsonval:
@ Xiadnat, i was told not to take those drugs cos i av a ulcer, the left side to make some murmoring sounds every seconds wit pains, radiating to my left breast underneath, if i use paracetamol, it will go but the pain will still comes back

So, you have a heart murmur? You are audibly hearing it or diagnosed by a doc? Alright. Thanks for telling me the crucial history. What is your age?

With that piece of information, I would advice you to go to your GP and get:

1. ECG baseline
2. Echocardiogram to evaluate the heart murmur
3.Chest x-ray
4. Cardiac markers (optional)

Are there any other symptoms: short of breath? palpitations? fatigue" diaphoresis (sweating)? Nausea etc...

RE ulcer: how bad is your ulcer? Cause you could potentially take it with a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole (US). But, perhaps, just avoid it altogether. Can try non NSAIDs like tramadol.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 10:31pm On Feb 25, 2015
@Xiadnat, I'm of AA genotype. I
always feel feverish. After taking
lumartem, that condition
disappears. About two days after
completing antimaleria
medications, another feverish
feeling often begins. I would
then take Ciprofloxacin for
14days, thinking it's enteric fever, and my health
restored. Immediately after
completing that, too, feverish
feeling would creep in again, and
after taking antimalarial, peace
would reign in my body. There
was a time I took lumartem and
ciprox medications together, still,
the condition has been like dt for
d past 5years. I almost undergo
HIV TEST everyday, and it's always
negative. Pls, advice me.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 5:51am On Feb 26, 2015
StealthIdeals:
@Xiadnat, I'm of AA genotype. I
always feel feverish. After taking
lumartem, that condition
disappears. About two days after
completing antimaleria
medications, another feverish
feeling often begins. I would
then take Ciprofloxacin for
14days, thinking it's enteric fever, and my health
restored. Immediately after
completing that, too, feverish
feeling would creep in again, and
after taking antimalarial, peace
would reign in my body. There
was a time I took lumartem and
ciprox medications together, still,
the condition has been like dt for
d past 5years. I almost undergo
HIV TEST everyday, and it's always
negative. Pls, advice me.

Ineffective treatment. You are getting relapse from release of parasites from the liver.

Malaria infects both the liver and the red blood cells. The liver is the reservoir for malaria parasites.

The lumartem treats only the red blood cells affected by the parasites. It doesn't treat those hiding out in the liver.

What happens is when you take lumartem, you kill off parasites in the blood stream. BUT, soon after, the parasites in the liver are still replicating and releasing parasites into the blood stream from the liver. Hence, the febrile cycle.

In other words, you need something that will kill off the parasites stored in the liver. Primaquine is an anti-malarial that targets liver.

Add PRIMAQUINE TO LUMARTEM. Try that and let me know how it goes.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 8:04am On Feb 26, 2015
Xiadnat:

Ineffective treatment. You are getting relapse from release of parasites from the liver.

Malaria infects both the liver and the red blood cells. The liver is the reservoir for malaria parasites.

The lumartem treats only the red blood cells affected by the parasites. It doesn't treat those hiding out in the liver.

What happens is when you take lumartem, you kill off parasites in the blood stream. BUT, soon after, the parasites in the liver are still replicating and releasing parasites into the blood stream from the liver. Hence, the febrile cycle.

In other words, you need something that will kill off the parasites stored in the liver. Primaquine is an anti-malarial that targets liver.

Add PRIMAQUINE TO LUMARTEM. Try that and let me know how it goes.
Thanks, doctor. I'll follow d advice.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by PeyButtons(f): 9:35am On Feb 26, 2015
Hi doctors, when my 7 month old LO coughs she brings out mucus(particially think. Whitish). Should I be worried. Tnx.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 12:44pm On Feb 26, 2015
PeyButtons:
Hi doctors, when my 7 month old LO coughs she brings out mucus(particially think. Whitish). Should I be worried. Tnx.

No worries; provided she is not febrile, and sputum(mucus) is not bloody, greenish/yellow and cough is not barking or whooping cough; AND she appears well.

Anticipatory guidance: do not give her cough suppressants, it is not recommended for children under age of 2. Keep her immunization up to date.

If develops fever up to 100 degrees, cough is persistent past 10 days, turns bloody/greenish/yellow, wheeze/barking/whooping cough then take her to a pediatrician.

If she is having increased work of breathing, grunting/retracting, turning pale/blue, listless, appear ill and the like: call 911 (?), or just go to ED/A&E.

Best.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Dadsonval(f): 4:35pm On Feb 26, 2015
No, the murmur is down the stomach, i can hear it, its like worms playing there. I'm 29yrds old, my ECG- left atrial enlargement, normal P-R interval, normal QRS duration, right axis deviation, right ventricular hypertrophy, T wave inversion infero-lateral leads and normal ST segment. Echo result- obstructive lesion at the mitral valve level creating enlargement of LA, RA, RV and PA. The USS result- liver is 7cm, the span is 15cm and 16cm enlarged. PV, CBD normal, IVC 25mm enlarged with enlarged hepatic veins. I have not done chest Xtray. I can breath very well, no sweating, my BP is 100/70, no nausea. Thnks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 7:16pm On Feb 26, 2015
Dadsonval:
No, the murmur is down the stomach, i can hear it, its like worms playing there. I'm 29yrds old, my ECG- left atrial enlargement, normal P-R interval, normal QRS duration, right axis deviation, right ventricular hypertrophy, T wave inversion infero-lateral leads and normal ST segment. Echo result- obstructive lesion at the mitral valve level creating enlargement of LA, RA, RV and PA. The USS result- liver is 7cm, the span is 15cm and 16cm enlarged. PV, CBD normal, IVC 25mm enlarged with enlarged hepatic veins. I have not done chest Xtray. I can breath very well, no sweating, my BP is 100/70, no nausea. Thnks

Wonderful. I am a little busy right now, but give me some time to read and make sense of this test results. I will get back at you at my earliest convenience.

Thanks.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 9:45pm On Feb 26, 2015
Dadsonval:

Hey there again; I am still reading this result. But, one thing I can say now from the results of the ECHO and ECG is that you have congestive hepatomegaly most likely from right sided heart failure. The wormy feeling is the congestion of vessels in the abdomen with fluid.

Most common cause of right sided heart failure is left sided heart failure. Now, your mitral stenosis (obstructive lesion at mitral valve) is mostly contributing to the right heart failure. Did you per chance have rheumatic heart disease that you know? You likely also have a heart murmur with mitral obstruction. You also probably have pulmonary hypertension.

Now what intrigues me is why you don't have shortness of breath. Because mitral stenosis means fluid backs up the lung and causes breathing issues.

Be that as it may: see a GP, you gotta do some more testing: CXR, liver function tests, liver scan. Also need to start some treatment as well. You may eventually need to see a cardiologist or GI (hepatologist) doc.

Please ask more questions if any. Good luck.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 10:55pm On Feb 26, 2015
I think it may not be your field, but I still believe you can help me interpret these PTA and Tympanogram tests (ENT). Due to some circumstances, I was unable to go and meet the consultant that recommended the tests. thanks. find the tests below.

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 12:31am On Feb 27, 2015
StealthIdeals:
I think it may not be your field, but I still believe you can help me interpret these PTA and Tympanogram tests (ENT). Due to some circumstances, I was unable to go and meet the consultant that recommended the tests. thanks. find the tests below.

You are quite correct. Tympanograms and audiograms are not my cup of tea. But, I glanced quickly over "how to read them". Here is the interpretation:

Hearing tests/audiogram: Ist table

Normal adult hearing: 0-25 decibels.
Your Right ear average hearing: 63 decibels
Your left ear average hearing: 68 decibels
Interpretation: This individual has moderate to severe conductive hearing loss on both ears (worse on the left side). This means the person is not able to hear normal voice conversations and has to read lips.

Typanogram: 2nd table
Normal graph
You have normal tympanic membrane (ear drum). This is not the problem for your hearing loss.

Recommedation: see an audiologist and ENT depending on your other history.

Take care!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 5:52am On Feb 27, 2015
Xiadnat:

You are quite correct. Tympanograms and audiograms are not my cup of tea. But, I glanced quickly over "how to read them". Here is the interpretation:

Hearing tests/audiogram: Ist table

Normal adult hearing: 0-25 decibels.
Your Right ear average hearing: 63 decibels
Your left ear average hearing: 68 decibels
Interpretation: This individual has moderate to severe conductive hearing loss on both ears (worse on the left side). This means the person is not able to hear normal voice conversations and has to read lips.

Typanogram: 2nd table
Normal graph
You have normal tympanic membrane (ear drum). This is not the problem for your hearing loss.

Recommedation: see an audiologist and ENT depending on your other history.

Take care!
Thank you so much. I love this profession of yours.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by temmytwity(f): 12:34pm On Feb 28, 2015
Xiadnat:

There are many causes for vaginal/vulvar itching.

There is infection: yeast infection, bacterial vaginosis or STI: Is she presenting of other symptoms: discharge, burning, irritation?
There is chemical irritants: has she changed anything her routine like lotion, soaps, perfumes, detergents, douche, shaving creams, sanitary napkins?
There is inflammtory conditions like Linchen planus. Other less likely: vulvar maligancy.

I am guessing she is still premenopausal since she is trying to concieve. Because menopause is primary cause in menopausal or post menopausal or peri menopausal women.

Her case sounds more like irritants of some sort. Investigate the hubby for what he is using on himself as well (lotions, perfumes, condom etc). If this itch persists, might want to take a trip to a gyn and get a pelvic exam. In the mean time, keep the area dry and use mild, non scented feminine wash if you are going to use any. Avoid any possible irritant that might be exercebating it or possibly causing. Tell hubby same; keep free of anything he may be applying on himself.

Pay attention to when you particularly feel the itch- that might point to the cause.

RE: Infertility is not diagnosed until one year of consistent and persistent unprotected intercourse. So, there's still plenty window here.

Good luck!

So my curious sis went for a test with her hubby and here is d result
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by tobiaboG: 1:21pm On Feb 28, 2015
i postd a qustn & i got no reply, no matter hw stupid or foolish i wuld av expect an answer. no worry am out of here
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 1:31pm On Feb 28, 2015
tobiaboG:
hello doc in d house, i need ur advice on d best hosp 2 do a family planning, state hosp, fed hosp or private hosp. I reside in kwara state.

Sorry your questions went unanswered. I did not answer myself because I do not reside in Nigeria. Why don't you create a separate post, perhaps some other Nigerians might have answer for you.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by dominicson: 2:59pm On Feb 28, 2015
@OP, pls help me I have chest pain

I feel it more when I try to turn my upper half of the body right or left

Thanks
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by temmytwity(f): 4:58pm On Feb 28, 2015
Ok the result does not want to upload.Lemme just write wat's on the result .The hubby sperm test
appearance watery.
Viscosity Normal ,
Volume 2ml
% active spermatozoa nil
% sluggish 10% % dead 90%
sperm count 10*10xell/ml(50-150*10)
morphology normal 70 %
abnormal 30%
pus cells numerous
RBC nil
Epithelial 3-6Hpf
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by temmytwity(f): 5:04pm On Feb 28, 2015
My sis
Epithelial cells 2-4hpf
pus cells nil
T.vaginalis nil
RBC nil
others nil
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by temmytwity(f): 5:06pm On Feb 28, 2015
temmytwity:
Ok the result does not want to upload.Lemme just write wat's on the result .The hubby sperm test
appearance watery.
Viscosity Normal ,
Volume 2ml
% active spermatozoa nil
% sluggish 10% % dead 90%
sperm count 10*10xell/ml(50-150*10)
morphology normal 70 %
abnormal 30%
pus cells numerous
RBC nil
Epithelial 3-6Hpf

Help interpret please and advice on drugs to take cos my sister said her hubby isn't talking about the test,the doctor excluded her from their conversation
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by temmytwity(f): 5:10pm On Feb 28, 2015
temmytwity:
My sis
Epithelial cells 2-4hpf
pus cells nil
T.vaginalis nil
RBC nil
others nil

Interpretation please,wat is epithelial though she was told there is nothing wrong.

(1) (2) (3) ... (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) ... (305) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.