Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,414 members, 7,830,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available - Health (83) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (638624 Views)

Ola Orekunrin, The Youngest Doctor In England At Age 21 / Doctor In The House: Free Medical Advice Available / Pharmacist In The House:free Medicines Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (305) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ACM10: 11:56am On Aug 26, 2012
Real.man:
Hello Doc,
Please at what month old can a baby's genotype be tested and where in Nigeria can one do a foetus genotype test?

I have a 3months old baby and i will like to carry out genotype test on her and also a foetus test on d mother whenever she is pregnant again.

​̷̷̴̩̩̥̐‎​​‎​​̷̷̴̩̩̥̐͠♧thanks♧°˚˚˚°♧

I will advise against that. It is fraught with a lot of dangers. The investigation is called chorionic villus sampling. I'm not aware of any centre that does that in Nigeria. But my candid advice is "AVOID IT". It is risky to the foetus.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by salykely(m): 8:37pm On Aug 27, 2012
please can any body educate me on hbs, and what the useful help you could give to an hbs patient? How can i be of help to such a person? I will be most grateful
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by salykely(m): 8:38pm On Aug 27, 2012
please can any body educate me on HBS, and what the useful help you could give to an hbs patient? How can i be of help to such a person? I will be most grateful
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by mkmyers45(m): 10:35am On Aug 29, 2012
saly kely: please can any body educate me on HBS, and what the useful help you could give to an hbs patient? How can i be of help to such a person? I will be most grateful

Anaemic patients need to take in a lot of iron supplements....there is also need close monitoring as crisis management is important...
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by 2makeit(m): 4:52pm On Aug 29, 2012
Doctor please can you tell me if movement in the body and itching a sign of Staphylococcus
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by mkmyers45(m): 5:04pm On Aug 29, 2012
2makeit: Doctor please can you tell me if movement in the body and itching a sign of Staphylococcus

Go for test tommorow to be sure
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by 2makeit(m): 8:57am On Aug 30, 2012
Thank you i will do that today.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by bigmitchmob: 1:58pm On Aug 30, 2012
[color=#000099]
mkmyers45:

Please do go to a hospital for check-up
[/color]

Could you please recommend 1 for me? i am on lagos state.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by mkmyers45(m): 2:19pm On Aug 30, 2012
bigmitchmob: [color=#000099][/color]

Could you please recommend 1 for me? i am on lagos state.

Well i am not in Lagos but i advise you try LUTH
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by bigmitchmob: 10:10pm On Sep 03, 2012
any body with LUTH's address??
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by stargrip: 7:27am On Sep 04, 2012
tanx doc for ur voluntary service, pls doc is so common people talk abt weight loss and hw to loss weight bt pls i'l like to knw wat to do or rather d right medications for slim or skinny person to increase in body size or weight, tanx
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by bodik(m): 7:03pm On Sep 05, 2012
i am always unable to walk without limping whenever i wake up in the morning or anytime i sit in a place for long
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ACM10: 8:23pm On Sep 05, 2012
bodik: please i need advice on fast recovery for a 69yrs old patient of stroke. The stroke is over 1yr and he still walks with difficulty.

there is no fast recovery in stroke patient. Stroke affects the brain. The brain is populated by neurones. While neurones are permanent cells. Permanent cells don't regrow like skin cells. Therefore whenever it is damaged, it cannot be replaced. I will advise you to seek for the services of a visiting physiotherapist. A neurologist will also help. Be informed that stroke tends to reoccur. So his blood pressure must be strictly controlled with medications. Any rise in blood pressure above the normal range will predispose him/her to another stroke. So compliance to medication is the key. Diabetes should be controlled too. But the patient can only improve mostly with physiotherapy work-ups and exercises. He/she might not regain his/her pre-morbid strength. But the improvement will be considerable.

WARNING: There is no shortcut to recovery. Recovery in stroke patient is slow. Anyone that promises u quick recovery after treatment is a conman. So ignored all those claims flying around.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by phymo1: 9:18am On Sep 06, 2012
Hello Doc, please my dad (58 yrs) his current having challenges after a stroke related illness, now he forget things easily n refer back to events of 20-30 years as if it relevant now, am not comfortable with it as sometimes he misses his way home within the neighborhood which will warrant us looking for him, please how do i stop this , i don't know if it is insomnia related but your advice is so relevant . thanks. (phamooguns@yahoo.com).
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by twinskenny(m): 10:32am On Sep 06, 2012
HELLO DOC,

WE ARE DONE WITH HAVING BABIES.. WHICH FAMILY PLANING METHOD CAN U ADVICE THATS MORE EFFECTIVE?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ACM10: 10:39am On Sep 06, 2012
phymo1: Hello Doc, please my dad (58 yrs) his current having challenges after a stroke related illness, now he forget things easily n refer back to events of 20-30 years as if it relevant now, am not comfortable with it as sometimes he misses his way home within the neighborhood which will warrant us looking for him, please how do i stop this , i don't know if it is insomnia related but your advice is so relevant . thanks. (phamooguns@yahoo.com).

Your dad is having a medical sign called amnesia(partial or total memory loss) as against insomnia(inability to sleep). Though insomnia may also be an accompanying sign. Amnesia can be short term memory loss OR long term memory loss. The case of your dad is that of short term memory loss. He is unable to recall recent events. In amnesia, recent events are lost first before distant events. If he was unable to recall long term events, then his condition is severe. Memory loss in the case of your dad could be a sequelae of stroke or early-onset Alzheimer syndrome. You may have to take him to a neurologist to halt the trend with neuro-cognitive drugs and therapy. He may need a companion by his side all the time. Your mother can do the job or you can employ an elderly maid. The therapy to halt or reverse the memory loss takes time. It might last for life. Meanwhile, refer to my advice above you on how to prevent stroke from reoccuring. Cheers
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ACM10: 10:49am On Sep 06, 2012
twinskenny: HELLO DOC,

WE ARE DONE WITH HAVING BABIES.. WHICH FAMILY PLANING METHOD CAN U ADVICE THATS MORE EFFECTIVE?

There are different family planning methods available. Some are temporary(reversible), while others are permanent(irreversible). You can visit any teaching hospital near you with your partner and ask for the family planning center. The doctor u meets will explain to you all the modalities available, for you to make an informed choice. All the best.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by phymo1: 6:31pm On Sep 06, 2012
Your dad is having a medical sign called amnesia(partial or total memory loss) as against insomnia(inability to sleep). Though insomnia may also be an accompanying sign. Amnesia can be short term memory loss OR long term memory loss. The case of your dad is that of short term memory loss. He is unable to recall recent events. In amnesia, recent events are lost first before distant events. If he was unable to recall long term events, then his condition is severe. Memory loss in the case of your dad could be a sequelae of stroke or early-onset Alzheimer syndrome. You may have to take him to a neurologist to halt the trend with neuro-cognitive drugs and therapy. He may need a companion by his side all the time. Your mother can do the job or you can employ an elderly maid. The therapy to halt or reverse the memory loss takes time. It might last for life. Meanwhile, refer to my advice above you on how to prevent stroke from reoccuring. Cheers

Thanks Doc, i quite understand better now, he never forgets any of his childrens, grand childrens name and inlaws n listens to us.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by stargrip: 7:41am On Sep 08, 2012
eDoc pls i need to knw what to do or what to take to increase in body weight or body size, cos 2 much talks everywhere about weight loss and nobody make any moves to help the slim and skinny people who wand to add up weight, pls i need ur advice
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by 2livescrew: 9:13am On Sep 08, 2012
Please E doctor my cousin went for a lab test and was diagnosed of having a scanty growth of e -coli,he went to a pharmaceutical store with the result of the test,he was given CEFRODEN he used it but it didnt help much so after two weeks he went to another store with the same result,this time they recommended TARIVID 200mg.But uptil now he belives his system is not functioning very well.Please what else can he do?
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ACM10: 12:47pm On Sep 08, 2012
stargrip: eDoc pls i need to knw what to do or what to take to increase in body weight or body size, cos 2 much talks everywhere about weight loss and nobody make any moves to help the slim and skinny people who wand to add up weight, pls i need ur advice

You should be contented with your body size. There are several health conditions that are associated with obesity but none is associated normal weight or underweight. Therefore, there is nothing wrong with your size. Place yourself on a healthy diet. Enjoy your life. Cheers
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ACM10: 12:56pm On Sep 08, 2012
2livescrew: Please E doctor my cousin went for a lab test and was diagnosed of having a scanty growth of e -coli,he went to a pharmaceutical store with the result of the test,he was given CEFRODEN he used it but it didnt help much so after two weeks he went to another store with the same result,this time they recommended TARIVID 200mg.But uptil now he belives his system is not functioning very well.Please what else can he do?

I advise you to visit your nearest hospital for proper examination and investigation done under supervision of a doctor. Lab scientist is not a doctor. He/She can only do investigation under the direction of a doctor. Only a doctor can order for an investigation.
Secondly, only a doctor is authorised to prescribe drugs. It's unethical for a pharmacist to usurp this role. Pharmacist dispense drugs.
Once again, visit your nearest hospital for a doctor to take a closer look.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Stevecares(m): 9:32pm On Sep 10, 2012
Hello Doc. Am a newly registered member. I don't really know where to type my question. Please, I am 28yrs old, male. On july 1st, I was cut in anxiety over the outcome of an incident that really troubled me. I noticed my heart beat pounding, but I overlooked it. Maybe it subsided after that day, because I never paid close attention to it...but i was so worried and stressed with thoughts about the sad incident, even at work. It persist for over a month-plus. Now, is September, I just checked my blood pressure, reading over 140-7. And my heart beat pounds. Am also having malaria and typhoid fever, and feeling a blockage in my throat(just feeling, no swell or pain). My doctor prescribed Lexotan, Corbis and Asomex drugs for me (BP). But am scared of the side effects because am only 28yrs. Am taking multivitamin tablets and immune booter while treating the fever. Mum bought Tab Vasoprin for me. I wish i could try other natural therapy to treate it. Can it help? Please advise me, I don't want to get any worse. Thanks!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ACM10: 10:15pm On Sep 10, 2012
Stevecares: Hello Doc. Am a newly registered member. I don't really know where to type my question. Please, I am 28yrs old, male. On july 1st, I was cut in anxiety over the outcome of an incident that really troubled me. I noticed my heart beat pounding, but I overlooked it. Maybe it subsided after that day, because I never paid close attention to it...but i was so worried and stressed with thoughts about the sad incident, even at work. It persist for over a month-plus. Now, is September, I just checked my blood pressure, reading over 140-7. And my heart beat pounds. Am also having malaria and typhoid fever, and feeling a blockage in my throat(just feeling, no swell or pain). My doctor prescribed Lexotan, Corbis and Asomex drugs for me (BP). But am scared of the side effects because am only 28yrs. I wish i could try other natural therapy to treate it, like relaxation and lifestyle. Can it help? Please advise me, I don't want to get any worse. Thanks

You are having a condition known to the psychiatrist as panic attack. It's part of anxiety disorder. I love the way you described your symptoms. Going by your history, I will most certainly make a diagnosis of panic attack. It's a very troubling condition that mimics heart disorder. The next diagnosis that comes to my mind is a heart disorder that laymen calls heart attack. That explains why your doctor prescribed Lexotan, Corbis and Asomex. But your symptoms could not subside. It could not even alter the progression of your symptoms.
Your systolic blood pressure is a little bit high. But I as a doctor will not be worried by it. I wont even place you on anti-hypertensive drugs. It can be controlled with dietary and lifestyle modification. The raised BP might be due to the fact that you are worried by your "strange" condition.
Who ordered for the test for typhoid and malaria? I don't believe that they are your major problem.

I will advise you to visit any teaching hospital or a psychiatric hospital and request to see a psychiatrist. The history that you've just descibed is well-known to them. I promise you that you will recover after you were placed on some medications. I repeat, visit a psychitrist! Don't feel shy to visit them. You don't have any mental disorder. It's not only people that has mental disorder that visits a psychiatrist. Pls do come back here to share your experience(s). Cheers
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 1:42am On Sep 12, 2012
Dear Doc, a frend of mine whom i ws discussin wit, told me his life story a few mnths ago. It goes like dis
''Am Kalu, 19yrs of age. Am d last in a family of five. My grandad died of diabetes and also my grandmum, both on my father's side. My dad few yrs ago ws also diagnosed of the same diabetes mellitus and he died last yr (afta a car crash). My fear and worry is dat i've heard and read in books that diabetes is hereditory and i dont know whether it would be passed onto me. I also read dat those who drink alot of alcohol are most likely to get diabetes and so i've banned myself from alcohol and smoke (altho i've neva tasted it for one day). Buh i also take chocolates once in a while (once in a month) and i drink my full mug of tea with two cubes of sugar every morning. I also eat carbohydrate in a quite large quantity. I also exercise once in a while, twice a week. Would all these my few preventive measures work or would my lifestyle of feeding make me vulnerable to d illness?'' Pls advice dis my friend Doc. (hes not on NL and he is curently busy in skl wit exams ATM, wuld urge him to register here wen hes tru)
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ACM10: 2:01am On Sep 12, 2012
KingMEXX: Dear Doc, a frend of mine whom i ws discussin wit, told me his life story a few mnths ago. It goes like dis
''Am Kalu, 19yrs of age. Am d last in a family of five. My grandad died of diabetes and also my grandmum, both on my father's side. My dad few yrs ago ws also diagnosed of the same diabetes mellitus and he died last yr (afta a car crash). My fear and worry is dat i've heard and read in books that diabetes is hereditory and i dont know whether it would be passed onto me. I also read dat those who drink alot of alcohol are most likely to get diabetes and so i've banned myself from alcohol and smoke (altho i've neva tasted it for one day). Buh i also take chocolates once in a while (once in a month) and i drink my full mug of tea with two cubes of sugar every morning. I also eat carbohydrate in a quite large quantity. I also exercise once in a while, twice a week. Would all these my few preventive measures work or would my lifestyle of feeding make me vulnerable to d illness?'' Pls advice dis my friend Doc. (hes not on NL and he is curently busy in skl wit exams ATM)

My response to this post will be brief because I am busy this morning.

Yes, some forms of diabetes mellitus can be inherited. But there is nothing to fear. It is not a must for diabetes to manifest in all the siblings. Even those that inherited the gene for diabetes can avoid it by avoiding its risk factors such as alcohol, obesity, sedentary lifestyle, etc.

Your friend should place himself on a healthy diet(dietary modification). Emphasis should be placed on fruity diets.

Exercise for 30mins or more every 3 days.

Avoid sedentary lifestyle.
Shed some weights if he is obese. His Body Mass Index(BMI) should not be more than 25. >25 increases the risk of diabetes.

BMI = weight(kg)/height(meter square).

He can buy glucometer to monitor his blood sugar.

Finally, he should pay a visit to an endocrinologist in a teaching hospital to assess his risk of developing diabetes.
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 8:40am On Sep 12, 2012
ACM10:

Yes, some forms of diabetes mellitus can be inherited. But there is nothing to fear. It is not a must for diabetes to manifest in all the siblings. Even those that inherited the gene for diabetes can avoid it by avoiding its risk factors such as alcohol, obesity, sedentary lifestyle, etc.

Your friend should place himself on a healthy diet(dietary modification). Emphasis should be placed on fruity diets.

Shed some weights if he is obese. His Body Mass Index(BMI) should not be more than 25. >25 increases the risk of diabetes.

Finally, he should pay a visit to an endocrinologist in a teaching hospital to assess his risk of developing diabetes.
Your good. Thanx Doc, I wuld relate to him dis info
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by Nobody: 3:00pm On Sep 12, 2012
That is a good one!
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ACM10: 4:41pm On Sep 12, 2012
stbaby: I want my husband's sperm count to increase rapidly, what can we do?

Meet a gynaecologist at any teaching hospital near you
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by ayobarmy(m): 6:46pm On Sep 12, 2012
Hi docs, pls my wife has been complaining of this pain in her lower abdomen anytime we have sex, it wasnt like that b4 ooo it started after she gave birth, pls what can be the cause and solution... Thanks and God bless......
Re: Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available by aribisala0(m): 4:48pm On Sep 13, 2012
ACM10:

Shed some weights HOW MANY ?? if he is obese. His Body Mass Index(BMI) should not be more than 25. >25 increases the risk of diabetes.

GENERAL ACM! kedu?

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (305) (Reply)

How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology / How Do I Calculate My Safe Period?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.