Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,088 members, 7,814,779 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:39 PM

D - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / D (13565 Views)

The More Intelligent A Child Is,the More Likely It'll Abandon Religion-newstudy / What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know / Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: D by KingEbukaNaija: 8:18pm On Nov 28, 2016
4kings:
most bible claims are not true tongue

Misconceptions have never been true .

your point is ...?

It is highly illogical to claim that the universe happened by chance not to talk of numerous universes
Re: D by Urahara2: 8:19pm On Nov 28, 2016
jonbellion:
space chronicles chapter 22:14
And whence jesus hath ascendeth up into the clouds. He brought out his space transmittor and called upon the starship USS enterprise
"captain kirk I calleth upon you!!!"
Openeth thy portal so I can escape this dimention and also before George Lucas and the star wars crew catches up because I prefereth star trek" grin

loolz
Re: D by Urahara2: 8:20pm On Nov 28, 2016
Lennycool:
Accessing a portal through a tower? You have killed me grin grin

loooooooolz , u ppl won't kill some body with laffta

1 Like

Re: D by KingEbukaNaija: 8:22pm On Nov 28, 2016
4kings:

grin grin
dogma in action tongue

Let's go to our domain to talk grin
Re: D by Urahara2: 8:25pm On Nov 28, 2016
jonbellion:
This is what religion does
Makes you say a lot of absurd things in order to rationalise your beliefs

tomfoolery for jesus
Re: D by Urahara2: 8:27pm On Nov 28, 2016
Lennycool:

I pity the guy sef. You can tell he's more intelligent than the most of the theist on this site. Atleast he recognises that you can't just go up and enter heaven so he invented a portal.
He's atleast trying to reconcile fables with science. He's failing but he's trying. Other theist wouldn't have given two rats ass.
KingEbukasblog embrace the truth, the bible is fairytale, stop this embarrassment.
I know you can do better if you try, atleast accept deism, its infinitely more logical.

I swear .

1 Like

Re: D by Urahara2: 8:31pm On Nov 28, 2016
jonbellion:
JJ Abrams, James Cameron, Steven Spielberg
George Lucas, J.R.R tolkein, J.K Rowling, George.R.R martin , Ted Dekker
Kingebukanaija has joined the fold
Congrats buddy cool

lmao this nearly made me pee myself
Re: D by Urahara2: 8:35pm On Nov 28, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Show me how it is illogical .

You guys have just been appealing to ridicule upandan , nobody has actually produced anything reasonable

And please if I don't respond to your response , just know that it does not worth my response grin

come and explain your theory of portals and stop being shy

2 Likes

Re: D by Urahara2: 8:40pm On Nov 28, 2016
MrMontella:

Hahahahaha...lennycool jonbellion and co..
See as una tear kingebukaNaija and his portal grin grin...its not good na grin

I swear.dey just dey give am 4 left and right

1 Like

Re: D by hopefulLandlord: 4:11am On Nov 30, 2016
Mr Portal!
Re: D by dalaman: 4:21am On Nov 30, 2016
DP
Re: D by Image123(m): 12:38pm On Dec 02, 2016
Lennycool:
The following is 1963 Survey on Majority Of Israeli Jewish Youth showing the depths to which indoctrination can go.

Read carefully

i don't usually see your mentions until later on when someone else quotes it. Na so your sins plenty reach?
Re: D by ScienceWatch: 2:43am On Dec 03, 2016
Lennycool:
The following is 1963 Survey on Majority Of Israeli Jewish Youth showing the depths to which indoctrination can go.

Read carefully

The first part of the first text presented to the children read:

You are well acquainted with the following passages from the book of Joshua: “So the people shouted when the priests blew the trumpets; and it came to pass when the people heard the sound of the trumpet and the people shouted with a great shout and the wall fell down flat, so that they people went into the city every man straight ahead and they took the city. And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass with the edge of the sword. (VI, 20, 21) And that day Joshua took Makkedah, and smote it with the edge of the sword and the kings thereof he utterly destroyed and all the souls that were therein; he let none remain in it; but did unto the king thereof as he did unto the king of Jericho.”
After reading the passage, the children were asked the following questions:

1. Do you think that Joshua, and the Sons of Israel acted right or not? Explain your view.

2. Suppose the Israeli army conquers an Arab village in battle. Do you think it would be proper to act against the inhabitants as did Joshua with the people of Jericho and Makkedah? Explain your view.

600 of the children expressed total approval of Joshua’s destruction of Jericho and the application of his methods to the Arabs. Only 200 totally disapproved while 200 expressed mixed feelings — either partial approval or disapproval.

The same children were then presented with a version of the same story taken from ancient Chinese history:

General Lin, who founded the Chinese kingdom some 3000 years ago went to war with his army to conquer them a land. They came to some great cities with high walls and strong fortresses. The Chinese War God appeared to General Lin in a dream and promised him victory, ordering him to kill all living souls in the cities, because these people belonged to other religions. General Lin and his soldiers took the towns and utterly destroyed all that was therein, both man and woman, young and old, and ox and sheep, and ass with the edge of the sword. After destroying the cities they continued their way conquering many countries.
Only 70 children among the group of over 1000 totally approved of General Lin’s methods. 750 totally disapproved while the rest expressed mixed feelings.

Here is a breakdown of Tamarin’s findings:

A = total approval

B = partial approval or disapproval

C = total disapproval

On the Joshua question: (A) 60% (B) 20% (C) 20%

On the General Lin : (A) 7% (B) 18% (C) 75%

Why did a majority of the children support applying Joshua’s destruction of Jericho to the Arabs, while strongly rejecting the methods of the non-Jewish General Lin? Here are a few of the children’s justifications:

The Israeli army would have acted rightly if it acted towards the Arabs as Joshua acted towards the people of Jericho and Makeddah. I think so because if they would have left the people and the city, the Arabs would have invaded the city and fought them.

I think they acted well, as Joshua did, because the Arabs want us to believe in their idols.

Joshua and the Sons of Israel did not act well, as they could have spared the animals for themselves.

Joshua acted properly because the people who inhabited the land were of a different religion, when Joshua killed them he wiped their religion from the earth.

How quickly they saw the barbaric nature of the Chinese actions but never saw the same when it came to the biblical Joshua. This is what religion does, it clouds our judgment of even the most ruthless acts. Anything justified by God must be right, people have used this to justify slavery and in some cases genocide.

The Israeli youths might have actually had a fair excuse given they are supposed to be distant descendants of the biblical Jews. What's troubling is that I'm 100% sure that If this same question were given to Nigerian children with a fair Knowledge of the bible the result would have been more or less the same. They would see the acts of Joshua as good and that of the general as evil. Truly sad.

But what's even more troubling (I know right, what could be more troubling?) If this same poll was given to Nigerian adults the result would have again been more or less the same, rational educated Nigerian adults would have seen no problem with Joshua's actions. Even on this very thread I'm sure there are people that will defend Joshua and his sponsored genocide, because they were all taught religion.
And that is most troubling.

So guys what do you think, should we really teach our children religion?
, I think there was an understanding that defining yourself by what you are against isn’t psychologically healthy. With all other belief systems, adherents submit to something higher than themselves.

Christians, Muslims, Jews, even Secular Humanists set their sights on a positive set of principles that supersedes their own personal whims. This is good. This is healthy. By directing your energy toward overarching values to which you willingly submit, it acts as a check against the natural human urge to turn yourself into a god.

To say that your guiding belief system is atheism literally means nothing more than not theism. There’s nothing positive to focus on, nothing higher than yourself to which you can submit selfish urges. The process of fleshing out your own views is a process of constant rejection: I don’t believe this religion, I don’t believe in that form of spirituality, I don’t believe in that superstition, and so on.

The mentality of constant dismissal of other ideas can fester to the point that the sin of pride becomes your driving force in life. (I don’t think I’m the only one who’s noticed that there is a markedly nasty tone among many “new atheists” such as Richard Dawkins, PZ Myers, Sam Harris, et al whenever the subject of belief systems comes up.)
Re: D by ScienceWatch: 2:44am On Dec 03, 2016
Lennycool:

You're doing the same thing you accused me of.
All the stories of the bible combined still makes for a barbaric tale.
The good parts dont make up for the bad
Atheism is a mental disorder or illness :

The results of this study have unnerved even the most stoic scientists, physicians and researchers.

New information from a 22-year old study at a German University has many psychiatrists and psychologists throughout the world wondering if atheism is a sign or warning of a more serious mental illness already present or in the process of developing.

Doctors are searching for a gene that might cause a correlation between serious mental illness and what they are calling “overt atheism.”

For the time being psychiatrists and research psychologists in Germany and Switzerland are calling this medical anomaly, “The Misfit Syndrome.”
Doctors at the University in Hamburg have been investigating the connection between religious beliefs and overall mental health and the results of the study have unnerved even the most stoic scientists, physicians and researchers.
View the full article here:
http://thedamienzone.com/2012/08/17/atheism-as-a-mental-disorder-or-illness-new-studies-say-yes/
Re: D by Haoqi24: 8:40am On Dec 03, 2016
Aaronsrod:
Foolish athiest! If they cannot willingly kill and die for God how can they live for Him now or in Heaven?? The nature of obedience is unknown to you.

Did he by anyway curse you?

"but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire"

Can you see how you condemned your soul by your own hands according to your holy book.

Hell seems to be your portion, Hypocrite.
Re: D by realmindz: 8:49am On Dec 03, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:
This is the problem when we decide to explain one part of the Bible in isolation. Why chose that part of the Bible alone and compare it with a Chinese tale? Trying to explain or interpret the Bible in isolation can make one run into erroneous conclusions.

Now let me ask, is it right to teach our children these?

As taken from The 10 Commandments List in Exodus 20:12-17

Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God is giving you.

“You shall not murder.

You shall not commit adultery.

You shall not steal.

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s
.”

You are committing the offence u accused some1.

1. worship no other god apart from Yaweh (freedom of worship should be abolished, lack of religious tolerance) Children should not be taught this

Thanks to a civilised society, the first amendment to US constitution says freedom of worship
Re: D by realmindz: 9:06am On Dec 03, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

Common bro, of course I am doing the same thing, and it's not in disguise. If you choose one part of the Bible which doesn't even have a bearing on today's world and children to discourage the teaching of religion, then what's stops me from using another part of the Bible which teaches virtues that have very direct and important bearing to today's world and the upbringing of our children?

Now, in all honesty, tell me, the story you brought from the Bible and the part I brought out, which is more important to the upbringing of your kids? Can you do without teaching the those things, even if you don't tell them the Bible says so?

Now, the portion you brought out is very inconsequential to the upbringing of any child, because it has no bearing to their morals and wellness.

Why doesn't the Nigerian government encourage the teaching of Biafran war in schools? It is only someone who has a dubious and sinister motive that will bring up such issues

Do u actually need a book to teach values? of course the answer is No!

in addition, we live in a modern society and period where we have our constitution.

why can't u people let go of the ancient times of gods, sacrifices and commandments. religious people should pls allow us enjoy our generation.

Islam will come with stone age ideologies and say some things are haram, Christians will come with their ancient commandments. confusionists that have refused to let go of the past.

Most pathetic is that this has nothing to do with us here but this over brainwashed religious people still importing ancient Arab and Jewish laws and cultures to modern times.

1 Like

Re: D by realmindz: 9:12am On Dec 03, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

For the umpteenth time , this is Judaism - Jewish culture , tradition , religion . This was their culture practiced thousands of years ago , it is now old fashioned and don't apply to Modern day Christians .

I believe the only reason you are trying to distant Christianity from this is because you agree it is evil.

But unfortunately, it is right there in your bible. The foundation of your delusions

Same Yaweh who never changes
Re: D by realmindz: 9:14am On Dec 03, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

The first part talks about adultery...is it good? Do support people sleeping with other people's wives?

Second part talks about incest..is it good? Will you encourage people sleeping with their sisters or blood relations, can you do same?

Is witchcraft good? Even if you don't believe in it, do you know how dangerous it is?

Would you say that the things that you listed above by you, are they things that you will encourage our children to engage in?

And once our children do any of them, we kill them.

Sense is truly a scarce commodity.

African cultures taught better than this bro, they don't encourage all these but they won't put you to death for doing that
Re: D by realmindz: 9:31am On Dec 03, 2016
LaClicKLaBenDin:

It is not besides the point, sir. We arguing about a book that you don't believe in its authenticity...so, I was wondering..you don't believe its narratives are true, yet you're using those same false narratives to attack it?

In the context of the era this happened, it was Right. It was the era of wars and conquest; kingdoms invade other kingdoms and take over...you know this!

And the god of Israel helped his own people win their battles. obviously, he is not the god of everyone. A tribal warlord he is. pls don't let the whites play the religion scam on u. A holy book that has no mention of your ancestors, place or any African name.

Funny Christians, descendants of Noah

1 Like

Re: D by realmindz: 9:43am On Dec 03, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

I don't see your point bro . I just told you that misconceptions can lead to questioning the bible . When you question something , it means you have doubts , you are skeptical .

misconception
a view or opinion that is incorrect because based on faulty thinking or understanding.

An example of a misconception in the bible is the location of Heaven . Some Christians believe that heaven is in the sky or that God lives in the sky . Such misconception can lead to doubts . The truth is that God dwells in an immaterial transcendent realm .

Joshua had the jurisdiction from God to execute .

First they hid god in the caves and said those caves were forbidden, brave men went in and saw nothing.

Then they hid god in places difficult to access, such as the mountain tops, then in the sky..but science unraveled the sky and saw no god.

Now they have decided to hide Yaweh beyond the limit of space and time...

U claim some Christians still believe Yaweh lives in the sky, yes the bible and it's writers believe so too...
If not why this?
"Heaven is My throne and the earth is My footstool"

Or why will the people build a tower to reach the heavens and Yaweh was scared they would achieve it and therefore confused their language...Or have you forgotten that story so quickly?

Or why will Jesus ascend to the sky?

Or why will there be rapture.

Or why will Jesus ride horses and come from the sky on the last days

The bible did not anticipate that science will unravel space, they would have hidden Yaweh beyond space and time and Jesus would never have ascended into the sky...

MODIFIED: DON'T BOTHER RESPONDING, I JUST READ HOW U KILLED IT WITH THE PORTAL, STAR TREK EVANGELIST grin grin grin ayaf died

1 Like

Re: D by realmindz: 10:24am On Dec 03, 2016
4kings:

Well, he gives good points sometimes.
Open-mindedness is a virtue

actually kng ebuka is quite informed and smart but religious beliefs are holding back the little senses he has.

He belongs to the category of believers that have tried to merge scientific facts with ancient bible tales to sustain their delusions

1 Like

Re: D by EyeHateGod: 10:26am On Dec 03, 2016
realmindz:

MODIFIED: DON'T BOTHER RESPONDING, I JUST READ HOW U KILLED IT WITH THE PORTAL, STAR TREK EVANGELIST grin grin grin ayaf died
grin grin
Re: D by realmindz: 10:33am On Dec 03, 2016
EyeHateGod:
grin grin
O boy laugh wan tear my bele
Re: D by EyeHateGod: 10:37am On Dec 03, 2016
realmindz:

O boy laugh wan tear my bele
I tell you that day was a Blast. grin
Re: D by hopefulLandlord: 10:56am On Dec 03, 2016
realmindz:

actually kng ebuka is quite informed and smart but religious beliefs are holding back the little senses he has.

He belongs to the category of believers that have tried to merge scientific facts with ancient bible tales to sustain their delusions

Fact!!!
Re: D by Droldnallufepoh: 9:10am On May 20, 2017
Bumo

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Picture Of The American Missionary Who Was Released By Kidnappers / Jesus Has No Sword In His Mouth. Understanding Revelation 1:16 And 2:16 / Will There Be Partial Rapture? Will All Christians Go Up At The Time Of Rapture?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.