Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,539 members, 7,823,358 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad (21960 Views)

Illegal Immigrant: My Near Death And Terrible Experience In Malaysia / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by newdeal(m): 4:44pm On Nov 11, 2009
@Poster,
From the title, I was expecting something well researched, or a first hand testimony of someone who has experienced or is experiencing life as an illegal immigrant abroad, but all you did was to draw wild conclusions and paste pictures labelled by Associated Press & Reuters .

The issue of the plight of illegal immigrant abroad touches a sore nerve that should give any reasonable person cause for concerns. But I think the summary boils down to the individual involved and what they really want. Travelling or staying abroad without the statutory requirments is a big gamble with so many bad sides and a few good sides. But even with the tales of the deprivations people go through, some people will still want to see it to believe, like Thomas in the bible.
I look forward to the day that home governments, especially in African countries will begin to take the welfare of their people very seriously.
But hey! even life itself is a big gamble.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by sayso: 4:46pm On Nov 11, 2009
@poster are you sure these pics are not busted slave trader's/merchants goods to Europe?
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by kokoye(m): 5:01pm On Nov 11, 2009
newdeal:

I look forward to the day that home governments, especially in African countries will begin to take the welfare of their people very seriously.

Thank you. God bless you.

Even the so-called illegals live much better than the 'free' people at home. Why would anyone choose to sleep on a hard concrete foreign floor if he/she knows he can get at least a mat to sleep on at home?

The annoying thing is that Nigeria is not even a poor country (cannot be compared to soweto, uganda and other places) but 98% of its citizens live way below the poverty level.

People suffering in the midst of plenty while the few connected to the corridors of power enjoy and oppress the masses. People have multiple degrees and still cannot get decent jobs while govt officials' kids drive around in choice cars carrying thousands of $ (not even naira!).

Of course there will be stealing and kidnapping.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Nezan(m): 5:04pm On Nov 11, 2009
^^^ It shall be well with Africa.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by jara: 5:13pm On Nov 11, 2009
This anti nonsense are now glorifying the misery of those running away risking their lives to get away from what? People they love, a land they love and the culture they cherish.

They do not ask what is it they are running from. These are people who would rather die in the desert than die slowly of hunger at home. This is what fools are glorifying. The face of sadness and failure.

Nigeria, a Country flowing with milk and honey diverted by a few away from the majority.  Look at their agents blaming the victims.

The victims of ASAP, the retirees and children picking from the dumps say Allah go punish una and una children wey nor sabi Nigerian languages well well.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 11, 2009
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad
« #34 on: Today at 05:01:25 PM »
Quote from: newdeal on Today at 04:44:01 PM

Thank you. God bless you.

Even the so-called illegals live much better than the 'free' people at home. Why would anyone choose to sleep on a hard concrete foreign floor if he/she knows he can get at least a mat to sleep on at home?

The annoying thing is that Nigeria is not even a poor country (cannot be compared to soweto, uganda and other places) but 98% of its citizens live way below the poverty level.

People suffering in the midst of plenty while the few connected to the corridors of power enjoy and oppress the masses. People have multiple degrees and still cannot get decent jobs while govt officials' kids drive around in choice cars carrying thousands of $ (not even naira!).

Of course there will be stealing and kidnapping.
/quote]

I agree with you bro. I am not agianst anyone travelling abroad from one thing or the other but if you must go there, you should have a reason to go. They are lots of peaple who sell off thier hard earned properties in nigeria to go abroad and suffer.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Nobody: 6:10pm On Nov 11, 2009
No where like home!
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by RichyBlacK(m): 6:13pm On Nov 11, 2009
Nonsense! angry

I encourage anybody who wants to leave Nigeria to leave. With the most useless government in the world holding Nigeria hostage and their cronies wallowing in opulence from pilfering the treasury, those not connected to the network of thieves in Nigeria hardly have a chance of making it.

Leaving aside the self-selectivity factor of immigrants for a moment, the proportion of success stories among Nigerians living in the Diaspora is far more than the proportion of success stories among Nigerians living in Nigeria. Even the few success stories in Nigeria are riddled with kleptomanic politicians looting the treasury with impunity, debt-dependent crooks posing as business men taking $billions they know not when or how to pay, and extortionists/fraudsters in the deeply corrupt civil service frustrating every means of improving the social infrastructure of the nation.

Unfortunately, the few who are making it legitimately in Nigeria have allowed their success to blind them of the fact that Nigeria is structured to churn out more failures than successes in an ugly zero-sum game of survival.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by eldee(m): 6:16pm On Nov 11, 2009
~Bluetooth:

No where like home!

Home is where your heart is . . . erm, my heart is not in Nigeria.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by CyberG: 6:19pm On Nov 11, 2009
This post is about ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS so if you are "legal and doing well" like someone said, this topic is not for you. Please create yours and give it whatever title you desire.

@Poster. . .it is a most difficult thing for an illegal immigrant to survive running from the law over here. Unlike Nigeria where anything goes, that is not the case here. If you are illegal, forget about landing a "good" job because the system knows everyone who is legal and your status automatically disqualifies you. But I find it difficult to completely blame the aspiring illegal immigrant. . .as he is only trying to make his life better.

Believe it or not, this problem is created by the so called GOVERNMENT of Nigeria that is totally inept and providing no semblance of true governance. If Nigeria was only 40% of what it is out here (and improving genuinely), very few Nigerians would be interested in living outside the country. In fact, people over here will seek to go back home but since this is far from reality, everyone would rather live Nigeria.

The exception are the thieves in government in Nigeria and curiously, the poster claims to "be in government house". . .so he/she may be part of the problem. There is no one who will leave Nigeria of today as an average Joe with just a regular job and a normal life, visit over here and stay for like a month and would be inclined to go back. Nigerians in Nigeria (indeed Africans) are really suffering, some know it, some deny it, but how many people who have lived in Nigeria all their life can say they have seen anything work very efficiently?? (Electricity, good roads, affordable and good health care like Yara fool spends money buying in Germany, peace, social security, decently paid jobs, good potable water, protection of your rights, freedom, opportunity to dream and aspire to whatever you want, etc). As it is, Nigeria is a joke as a result of the kleptomaniac buffoons parading themselves as leaders.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by gradewilli: 6:22pm On Nov 11, 2009
hey    peeps  i totally agree with the poster but not 100 percent i went to nigeria two months ago i attended a church one of my cousins, he was a church  worker there i wont mention the church name but i will give u a clue the church is on kudirat abiola way in lagos oregun road. as i was saying they wanted to buy a land cost about 1billion naira the pastor now asked all the congregation to contribute money. to cut it short, i was told by my cousin that within two weeks the church has raised 355 million naira  some1 contributed 100 million anonymously  he didnt mention his name, i was really shocked that we nigerians have money and the country is not developing. my brother and sister i'm a student in uk i just finished my school here i dont even planning to go back to nigeria cos i still want to go to school again and get all the necessary skills i needed. as a black african aint easy here . plz if u know u r doing well in nigeria dont ever think about uk maybe america would be better
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by phuckNL: 6:24pm On Nov 11, 2009
I don't support illegal immigration but i'd like someone to tell me what is wrong with washing plates and washing toilets abroad? Don't nigerians wash plates and toilets in NIGERIA?
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 11, 2009
[/quote Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad
« #42 on: Today at 06:19:13 PM »
This post is about ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS so if you are "legal and doing well" like someone said, this topic is not for you. Please create yours and give it whatever title you desire.

@Poster. . .it is a most difficult thing for an illegal immigrant to survive running from the law over here. Unlike Nigeria where anything goes, that is not the case here. If you are illegal, forget about landing a "good" job because the system knows everyone who is legal and your status automatically disqualifies you. But I find it difficult to completely blame the aspiring illegal immigrant. . .as he is only trying to make his life better.

Believe it or not, this problem is created by the so called GOVERNMENT of Nigeria that is totally inept and providing no semblance of true governance. If Nigeria was only 40% of what it is out here (and improving genuinely), very few Nigerians would be interested in living outside the country. In fact, people over here will seek to go back home but since this is far from reality, everyone would rather live Nigeria.

The exception are the thieves in government in Nigeria and curiously, the poster claims to "be in government house". . .so he/she may be part of the problem. There is no one who will leave Nigeria of today as an average Joe with just a regular job and a normal life, visit over here and stay for like a month and would be inclined to go back. Nigerians in Nigeria (indeed Africans) are really suffering, some know it, some deny it, but how many people who have lived in Nigeria all their life can say they have seen anything work very efficiently?? (Electricity, good roads, affordable and good health care like Yara fool spends money buying in Germany, peace, social security, decently paid jobs, good water not from boreholes, protection of your rights, etc).
I agree with u bro. Our Government has made things bad for us to the extent that 80% of us nigerians think anywhere or any other country  is better than Nigeria itself. Its just to Bad.
This is not good for our Imge at all
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 11, 2009
@ PHUCK NL Please imagine this scenario, A person is doing well in Nigeria, he has a good business in nigeria and good qualifications also. he decides to relocate abroad only to find out that things are even worst down there.
I the processs of hustling to survive he does menial Jobs.
Isn,t he better of in Nigeria where he pays no TAX and Utility bills etc
lipsrsealed
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Vacora(m): 6:38pm On Nov 11, 2009
*Yawn*
Another one of those threads/topic. Is there no end to this? And what are the moderators doing exactly?
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by bawomolo(m): 6:42pm On Nov 11, 2009
luizworld:

@ PHUCK NL  Please imagine this scenario, A person is doing well in Nigeria, he has a good business in nigeria and good qualifications also. he decides to relocate abroad only to find out that things are even worst down there.
I the processs  of hustling to survive he does menial Jobs.
lipsrsealed

what's there to be proud about not paying Tax or utility bills?  How can NEPA function if folks refuse to pay their bill?  his life wasn't that great anyway if he left his business to go abroad.   

you guys are still missing the point, lots of Nigerians regardless of their economic success still find Nigeria uncomfortable and way too stressful.  Nothing bad with janitor job by the way.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by chiogo(f): 6:43pm On Nov 11, 2009
eldee:

Home is where your heart is . . . erm, my heart is not in Nigeria.
LMAO!!!!

What's with these topics about Nigerians abroad these days? The poster says life isn't rosy abroad, it sure as heck isn't rosy in Nigeria either.
Only someone who lives a comfortable life in naija would make a topic like this, like everyone else is comfortable. Abeg, this una patriotism is too much.
Yet the country keeps getting worse. If people don't wanna stay in Nigeria, let them.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by RichyBlacK(m): 6:59pm On Nov 11, 2009
luizworld:

@ PHUCK NL Please imagine this scenario, A person is doing well in Nigeria, he has a good business in nigeria and good qualifications also. he decides to relocate abroad only to find out that things are even worst down there.
I the processs of hustling to survive he does menial Jobs.
lipsrsealed

This is undoubtedly the most naive phrase on this thread!

This is the result of allowing the ugly Nigerian mindset sink in deep into one's psyche.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by ono(m): 7:09pm On Nov 11, 2009
RichyBlacK:

This is undoubtedly the most naive phrase on this thread!

This is the result of allowing the ugly Nigerian mindset sink in deep into one's psyche.

LOL . , , .
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by tkb417(m): 7:19pm On Nov 11, 2009
hmmm
the OP is not wrong although some of his submissions can be questioned

but im a bit taken aback by some people by their unguarded comments as regards this topic

@Poster, you're only posting this because you are in a better position. Just thank God that you're comfortable. If I was the owner of Nairaland, I would take your post down. Your post and pictures smack of arrogance and disrespect for the feelings of others No wonder, people are migrating to other forums on the web. Nairaland is gradually becoming a place where people come and assuage their egos instead of finding solutions to the problems besieging Nigeria and Africa in General. However, Its a free world.

Mind you, I'm comfortable where I am. Peaceout.
This is totally off tangent
are you an illegal immigrant? if youre not, then dont respond to the guy
do you look like one of the pics hes posted

if you have read his post very well, you would have noticed this thread is about those who make the needless journey through the desert in the name of travelling abroad. How that becomes you beats me hands down

guys, free the man and let him express himself; and for all those questioning the stand of the thread, this is much more better than the rubbish threads that spring up in the romance section.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by koolchicco: 7:21pm On Nov 11, 2009
phuck_NL:

I don't support illegal immigration but i'd like someone to tell me what is wrong with washing plates and washing toilets abroad? Don't nigerians wash plates and toilets in NIGERIA?

Abi oooo!

Vacora:

*Yawn*
Another one of those threads/topic. Is there no end to this? And what are the moderators doing exactly?

Maybe they're getting ready too for their sojourn abroad. cheesy lipsrsealed
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by tkb417(m): 7:31pm On Nov 11, 2009
Nonsense!

I encourage anybody who wants to leave Nigeria to leave. With the most useless government in the world holding Nigeria hostage and their cronies wallowing in opulence from pilfering the treasury, those not connected to the network of thieves in Nigeria hardly have a chance of making it.
Those not connected are making it
when did you leave Nigeria? have you heard about the emergence of the middle class in Nigeria?
I'm in Nigeria and not a politician and i can stand anybody anywhere in the world. Ive not stolen a kobo and there are thousands of people like me.
Mind you, i havent said ure wrong about people going abroad if they want, but i strongly object to your latter tune
I have friends who work in good coys abroad who would like to join the Nigerian arm of the company . as a matter of fact, they are increasing day in day out

Leaving aside the self-selectivity factor of immigrants for a moment, the proportion of success stories among Nigerians living in the Diaspora is far more than the proportion of success stories among Nigerians living in Nigeria. Even the few success stories in Nigeria are riddled with kleptomanic politicians looting the treasury with impunity, debt-dependent crooks posing as business men taking $billions they know not when or how to pay, and extortionists/fraudsters in the deeply corrupt civil service frustrating every means of improving the social infrastructure of the nation.
except your defination of success stories in Nigeria means having billions in bank accounts, then ure right. If what i see when i go abroad amongst our fellas abroad is what you call success stories, then you need a trip down to Lagos, PH and Abuja Nigeria to have a feel of our upwardly mobile professionals
uve been abroad for too long

Unfortunately, the few who are making it legitimately in Nigeria have allowed their success to blind them of the fact that Nigeria is structured to churn out more failures than successes in an ugly zero-sum game of survival.
? zero game of survival?
ask the IFC, IBRD, Chevron, Shell, Haliburton, Rencap, vectis  boiz and gurls if they'll swap their jobs for a livin abroad
as for me, its a NO

where you are suits you, where i am is fine by me.
I can claim to be big here, i doubt u can claim a big boi wherever u are grin grin grin

nice submissions tho
just wanna downplay the whole schitzo
no need to attack one another. Na God know where everybody go make am
our models cant be same
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 11, 2009
@tkb417 Finish!!!! cool U have spoken ma mind.
We shall get there by Gods Grace
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Nobody: 7:51pm On Nov 11, 2009
A lot of people here are just making unguarded comments about an extremely complex issue. It is very easy to point accusing fingers at government officials and others in the corridors of power.

But at the end of the day it is the personal responsibility of the immigrant have proper plans for his trip and stay in Europe. Failure to plan is planning to fail. It is that simple.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Outstrip(f): 8:00pm On Nov 11, 2009
Africa gets on my nerves sometimes. When I see these young people who have so much to offer being reduced to almost non human because there seems to be no hope. Many of these people come overseas and make it. You see them 3 years from now and you will not believe their story. It's almost like other people appreciate Africans more. If not for the wonderful people we are but at least they can depend on the fact that they can make money from Africans because most are hardworking people who will do anything to succeed legally. What do people in power in African countries do? They sit up there and scratch their balls while pictures like this surface all over the web so that people can see how pathetic and disgraceful most African countries are
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by tkb417(m): 8:08pm On Nov 11, 2009
Outstrip:

Africa gets on my nerves sometimes. When I see these young people who have so much to offer being reduced to almost non human because there seems to be no hope. Many of these people come overseas and make it. You see them 3 years from now and you will not believe their story. It's almost like other people appreciate Africans more. If not for the wonderful people we are but at least they can depend on the fact that they can make money from Africans because most are hardworking people who will do anything to succeed legally. What do people in power in African countries do? They sit up there and scratch their balls while pictures like this surface all over the web so that people can see how pathetic and disgraceful most African countries are
thank you ma sister for taking us back to the topic

i really wouldnt wanna believe people trek to Libya all in d name of searching for the proverbial golden fleece
Thats absurd and its worrisome the government are doing nothing to checkmate this

Ive heard stories of people starvin to death whilst tryin to make these journies?
may God help Africa
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Nobody: 8:18pm On Nov 11, 2009
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by toshacer: 8:22pm On Nov 11, 2009
From the way the diasporic people play down on their country and speak ill about her while they praise where they abode, why wont cases like this continue to happen? Until the diasporic people shut there mouth and speak the truth that life is not easy as well over there, then young people will strive to make it where ever they find themselves.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by morpheus24: 8:23pm On Nov 11, 2009
tosh_acer:

From the way the diasporic people play down on their country and speak ill about her while they praise where they abode, why wont cases like this continue to happen? Until the diasporic people shut there mouth and speak the truth that life is not easy as well over there, then young people will strive to make it where ever they find themselves.

What the hell is a Diasporic people

Are you in insane!!!!
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Outstrip(f): 8:27pm On Nov 11, 2009
morpheus24:

What the hell is a Diasporic people

Are you in insane!!!!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
They are people that suffer from the disease diasporasia
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Nobody: 8:29pm On Nov 11, 2009
1,500 Illegal Edo Immigrants Languish in Libyan Prisons
http://allafrica.com/stories/200906040049.html shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Reconstruction Of Gate-oje-beere-oja To Oba-molete Under Bridge by GSM govt(pix) / Governor Alia Delivers 100 Buses For Transport In Benue State [Photos] / I Want To Relocate To Gabon. Advice Me. I’m A Teacher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.