Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,540 members, 7,823,366 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad (21961 Views)

Illegal Immigrant: My Near Death And Terrible Experience In Malaysia / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / What Is Life Like As An Illegal Immigrant In Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by mccloud224(m): 1:43am On Nov 12, 2009
so wat the fuss about this post?,

The main fuss about this post is that nigerians will continue to ignore the truth.
I see nothing wrong about this post at all
Most of these so called "boat travellers" sometimes spend 100s of thousand Naira to make these dangerous trips.
why? Can't they use that money to start something back home. (Even in somalia and afghan, people are still making a living)
I know a guy who walked via the sahara desert to North Africa, then to spain, Holland and is now in the UK.
With all that waka waka , he is still an illegal immigrant. doing shitting jobs all over the place.
It makes u wonder, WHY?

@yommyyuk

What makes you think those "boat travelers" haven't tried exploiting several business opportunities with business before giving up?I'll use myself as an example.There's a supermarket i opened up in Festac (5th avenue to be precise) about a year ago.Excluding the outrageously high rentage,renovation expenses and so on, i spent well over N2 million to put the shop in place.It's been over one year in operation and i haven't even recovered the money i used in buying chillers for the drinks (not to talk of generators, A/C and other stuffs).I am not even thinking about recovering the rent i paid dearly for.I am not even talking about profit coz that one is "bye bye".I closed up shop out of frustration last month coz i wasn't even making enough profit to pay one worker's salary not to talk of buying fuel.And besides, i must eat na. . .abi?PHCN is the main crippler of most businesses. If you end up spending both your profits and capital buying fuel, then that is not longer a business coz at the long run, all you do is drain yourself to keep the business "alive".

If things are so good, why are several Nigerian based companies relocating to Ghana,Togo etc ?Ehh? Nobody in his right frame of mind would want to spend hundreds of thousands on a death trip unless there is something much worse chasing them away.You people that are fortunate to have "better" lives shouldn't be so hasty to give judgement.Nigeria is totally f**ked up! ! ! Anybody who says otherwise is a THIEF!

Nuff said.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by yommyuk: 2:14am On Nov 12, 2009
[b]
What makes you think those "boat travelers" haven't tried exploiting several business opportunities with business before giving up?I'll use myself as an example.There's a supermarket i opened up in Festac (5th avenue to be precise) about a year ago.Excluding the outrageously high rentage,renovation expenses and so on, i spent well over N2 million to put the shop in place.It's been over one year in operation and i haven't even recovered the money i used in buying chillers for the drinks (not to talk of generators, A/C and other stuffs).I am not even thinking about recovering the rent i paid dearly for.I am not even talking about profit coz that one is "bye bye".I closed up shop out of frustration last month coz i wasn't even making enough profit to pay one worker's salary not to talk of buying fuel.And besides, i must eat na. . .abi?PHCN is the main crippler of most businesses. If you end up spending both your profits and capital buying fuel, then that is not longer a business coz at the long run, all you do is drain yourself to keep the business "alive".[/b]

I feel you bro sad and I commend you for all your effort.
But my advice (and this is the honest truth)
Are u now prepared to embark on a boat expenditure ?
Again what were you doing (jobwise) b4 u planned to open up this business.
Where u in business b4 or was it a new starup.
Now here come the truth.
Why did u invest 2 million in a business  without thinking about your operating cost?
why not start small investing around 500k and see how it goes and diversify into other ventures.
I am not judging u but I am telling you my honest opinion. That is what I will do anyway

If things are so good, why are several Nigerian based companies relocating to Ghana,Togo etc ?Ehh? Nobody in his right frame of mind would want to spend hundreds of thousands on a death trip unless there is something much worse chasing them away.You people that are fortunate to have "better" lives shouldn't be so hasty to give judgement.Nigeria is totally f**ked up! ! ! Anybody who says otherwise is a THIEF!

So why did u not follow suit with those companies and invest likewise.
I will not spend 100s of thousand naira to get eaten up by sharks.
NIgeria has 36 states. You dont have to stay in lagos. In Abeokuta or Ibadan you can get a very big warehouse for 150k-200kPA. Labour cost is very low. and the compettion is less fierce cool

Nuff said.
Don't give up. learn from experience. NEVER PUT YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET wink
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by stede(m): 2:31am On Nov 12, 2009
@ mr poster, wetin,,,, na that be the kind work wey you dey do outside the conutry. ome free mi now, i ve  come to states or uk i can never do that kind work because i ve my PALI,.  as dey use 2 say ISE KO LOWO ( WORK IS NOT EQIVALENT TO MONEY)
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by mccloud224(m): 2:35am On Nov 12, 2009
Are u now prepared to embark on a boat expenditure ?

lol. . .Hell NO!

why not start small investing around 500k and see how it goes and diversify into other ventures.

Apart from frying dodo on the street or running a road ride barbing salon or riding "keke napep" grin grin grin which "profitable" business can i run with 500k in 9ja without hitting a coral reef in less than 6 months?Ehh? You can't even get a good shop for that amount unless in areas where human traffic aint so much or the shop get "defects" grin .In my shop alone, i spent over N1,500 on fuel daily.Do you know how much that amounts to in a year?

NIgeria has 36 states. You dont have to stay in lagos. In Abeokuta or Ibadan you can get a very big warehouse for 150k-200kPA. Labour cost is very low. and the compettion is less fierce

And what biz would i be doing there?I am not a farmer or fisherman. . .lol .
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by ono(m): 3:03am On Nov 12, 2009
tjadeba:

"Look mister, you make very stupid, convoluted and insane statements because of the blindness of your mind. Let me respond to some of your foolishness, perhaps your vain pride will let you get some understanding:

1. Lagos, Abuja and PH do not constitute the whole country, doofus! Yet you are grandstanding on mere ignorance?? The success of a nation is not measured by their best (strongest of them), but an appraisal of the weakest of them. In any of those places you mentioned, life is ". . .poor, nasty, brutish and short. . .", take this from someone who has lived and worked in Abuja even before you got your pathetic job, lived in Lagos, and visited more parts of Nigeria than your sorry ass. Guess what? There are places over here which you haven't heard about. . .not New York, LA, London, Paris, Toronto,  Madrid. . .but life here is way, way, way, way much better than you will ever know. Believe that people who work here as welders (nothing wrong with that job), they make more money and live a better quality of life than you will ever know. If you make millions from your suffer-head white collar job and you can go to the malls and buy imported goods and flaunt it in the face of your less fortunate neighbor, but can you buy good roads, electricity (not generator killing you with noise and pollution), freedom without harassment from politicians, thugs and robbers, justice and fair hearing (almost 100% of the time), health care that you can bank on (remember your president will not even vouch for his life after spending N2B to import equipment for his personal use, and the list goes on. . .endlessly). This is not in a popular city and this is even for less than average people who can only have an ordinary job. Now, think of people who actually aim very high in their vocations and create the technologies the company you work for sells or markets in Nigeria.

2. Those companies you mention (Chevron, Shell, Haliburton, etc) are only paying you slave wages for all I care. How much do you earn that you think it is representative of everyone in Nigeria? Guess what? In a proper, fair and functioning system, although people will work for these companies you boast about, a lot of people will not. Some will finish their high school, start on a bright idea and make more money you could never dream about. You are talking of a job like you will keep the job forever. . .you must be demented. Look at the worst cases in the villages and smaller towns where real people face serious challenges foisted on them mostly by a system that is designed to limit them from the day they were born. The salary you get per year is what some students will get here on a scholarship in one year and you are flexing muscle? The least privileged person here will still enjoy the roads you cannot, the power you cannot, the peace you cannot, the stability you cannot, better health care than Yaradua can buy for billions in Germany! I am talking about the least privileged in a small town ad your are boasting about a failed system operating in the "best" places in Nigeria?

3. I bet you can never quit or resign this job you worship except you die or are incapacitated, can you? I see your are even talking about the fact that you are a "big boy". . .utter FOOLISHNESS. Look, it is only in failed and failing states like Nigeria that how big you are is important. When you visited somewhere outside Nigeria, did anyone notice your clothes, your jewelery or that you are a big boy? Did you not join a queue, wait for your turn and address even a receptionist with respect and courtesy? If you disagreed with someone, did you just slap them and insist on YOUR way? Look, in a functioning system, a much higher paying job will be resigned and the person goes back to school or quits to take his life in another direction. Can anyone in Nigeria (average Joe the Plumber) resign his job and be confident of his next steps?"

You really don't have to use such foul words to mess up your points. The man works to keep himself and family afloat, especially in one of the worst of places, Nigeria. He deserves some respect for that. Plus I did not see anything abusive or derogatory in his post. So, why use such harsh, clueless and stupid words on him?

There are people who shuttles Nigeria and other countries of this world. They have interests here at home and all over the globe. And they can afford to stay anywhere at time T. Yet, they feel more relaxed and comfortable over here at home. For some of us, we love our traditions, our culture better than what all these other countries you boast of have to offer. You can call ours crude and all what not. But I'll still stick with ours here than face what those countries have to offer.
The point I'm making is that different people have different reasons for doing what they do - including where they stay and others. It's their choice.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by naijaking1: 4:18am On Nov 12, 2009
Behold the facts:
1. $10billion sent to Nigeria by people in diaspora
2. Hausa/Fulani people are rarely forced to migrate overseas as are the southerners
3. An average Hausa/Fulani graduate is more likely to be employed by either the state or federal governments compared to a southerner.
4. Hausa/Fulani people have been running the federal government for a long time, and their policies have tended to push southerners into diaspora.
5. This genration of Nigerians overseas would like to return home, because they have nostalgic feelings about home, but their children wouldn't care one bit about Nigeria.
6. Eventually, many more southerners may live overseas than on Nigerian soil.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by MUNEER2(m): 6:30am On Nov 12, 2009
I feel like crying for Nigerians, cry cry cry.

When someone in bukinafaso even thinks we are making it big here. grin grin grin

Life is just too unfair undecided undecided undecided
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by yommyuk: 7:14am On Nov 12, 2009
Apart from frying dodo on the street or running a road ride barbing salon or riding "keke napep" which "profitable" business can i run with 500k in 9ja without hitting a coral reef in less than 6 months?Ehh? You can't even get a good shop for that amount unless in areas where human traffic aint so much or the shop get "defects" .In my shop alone, i spent over N1,500 on fuel daily.Do you know how much that amounts to in a year?

So are u saying that in Nigeria with 500k u can not start a business. undecided
even in the UK, with £2000 u can start something.
Business is about starting small, learnt the tricks of the trade and expand.
Macky started from flipping burgers in a kisok on the high street. Richard branson started by selling music tapes on the underground
In Uganda, This boy joined the army to go and fight in IRAQ, saved about $1000 and started something when he returned.
So when a bobo spends 2million and says things did not work for him. The problem is not 9ija, It may be hard luck or lack of feasibility.
I started my biz with less. So I beg lets get real for once. sad
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by rethink: 7:55am On Nov 12, 2009
@newdeal and posters
@Poster,
From the title, I was expecting something well researched, or a first hand testimony of someone who has experienced or is experiencing life as an illegal immigrant abroad, but all you did was to draw wild conclusions and paste pictures labelled by Associated Press & Reuters .

The issue of the plight of illegal immigrant abroad touches a sore nerve that should give any reasonable person cause for concerns. But I think the summary boils down to the individual involved and what they really want. Travelling or staying abroad without the statutory requirments is a big gamble with so many bad sides and a few good sides. But even with the tales of the deprivations people go through, some people will still want to see it to believe, like Thomas in the bible.
I look forward to the day that home governments, especially in African countries will begin to take the welfare of their people very seriously.
But hey! even life itself is a big gamble.

The poster above says that it is not enough evidence to warn people that travelling abroad is not the best Just by mere Associated Press.
When talking about Nigeria and some of our leaders we give Press reports with no single other Evidence, is this not Double standards?

The House Niger Mentality is at work here where the man in the house of the white tries to justify everything and even tells you that the white mans shit has Sardine inside.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by menik(m): 7:59am On Nov 12, 2009
And the masses die slow, Time to act is now !!

Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by AjanleKoko: 8:13am On Nov 12, 2009
Haba, how can someone say he is working in Shell, Halliburton or Chevron, and is better off?
Most people in Nigeria don't even have a career. They armtwist their relatives to get a job in all these places. Then they promptly start a lifelong cat and mouse game to stay in the system. Those are the 'big boys'.

Some people run their business and make money . . . however, if the system is working, those 'businesses' would disappear with ease.

I'll use a telecoms example. In the late 90s , Oluwole boys selling 'fire' line were all over the place, people were making huge killings from operating business centers and cybercafes. People used to queue for hours to receive a phone call from abroad. A friend of mine owned four of such business centers.

With the coming of deregulation in telecoms, where are all those business centers, when you can make an international call from your CDMA cell for as low as N10 a minute, or 55 kobo per second (GSM)? That my friend has shut down all the business centers and is now looking frantically for a job.

It's just like saying you're selling generators or inverters, and making millions of naira. Fix the power problem, where does that leave your 'business'?

Oh, by the way, I live and work in Nigeria, so I am no 'Diasporean'.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by rethink: 8:21am On Nov 12, 2009
[mccloud224 quote]@yommyyuk

What makes you think those "boat travelers" haven't tried exploiting several business opportunities with business before giving up?I'll use myself as an example.There's a supermarket i opened up in Festac (5th avenue to be precise) about a year ago.Excluding the outrageously high rentage,renovation expenses and so on, i spent well over N2 million to put the shop in place.It's been over one year in operation and i haven't even recovered the money i used in buying chillers for the drinks (not to talk of generators, A/C and other stuffs).I am not even thinking about recovering the rent i paid dearly for.I am not even talking about profit coz that one is "bye bye".I closed up shop out of frustration last month coz i wasn't even making enough profit to pay one worker's salary not to talk of buying fuel.And besides, i must eat na. . .abi?PHCN is the main crippler of most businesses. If you end up spending both your profits and capital buying fuel, then that is not longer a business coz at the long run, all you do is drain yourself to keep the business "alive".

Nuff said.[quote][/quote]

Those companies moving to Ghana will soon run away. Someone said he spends 1500 naira on Fuel that is Cheap compared to what i spend on Fuel. If i move arround very well i could end up spending 3000naira to 3500naira but on the average i spend 2500Naira.

The fuel is heavily taxed in Ghana because they know the rich use fuel so there is some equity. Now lets us say we should deregulate you will see the same people that are running away shouting.

There is very low purching power in Ghana. Of the 18 million population  just about few thousand have the spending power of  Ibadan in Oyo state. To bring in a car in Ghana you pay almost 100% tax so if you have a car in ghana you can buy 2 of the same car in Nigeria for the price of the car you bought in Ghana.

Already Mr. mccloud224 you have made a big mistake that even somalians would not do. You would have been better off using that money to buy food for people in your street and sharing it to them for free.

The Supermarket business is clouded already you just cannot put money and sit down in cold oyibo land and expect your money to grow. There is Management needed to make money.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by tkb417(m): 8:24am On Nov 12, 2009
lolol at the responses of people

ill take it one by one

What the hell is a Diasporic people

Are you in insane!!!!
diasporic people shocked shocked shocked
thats a new one
hehehe
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by tkb417(m): 8:33am On Nov 12, 2009
Look mister, you make very stupid, convoluted and insane statements because of the blindness of your mind. Let me respond to some of your foolishness, perhaps your vain pride will let you get some understanding:

1. Lagos, Abuja and PH do not constitute the whole country, doofus! Yet you are grandstanding on mere ignorance?? The success of a nation is not measured by their best (strongest of them), but an appraisal of the weakest of them. In any of those places you mentioned, life is ". . .poor, nasty, brutish and short. . .", take this from someone who has lived and worked in Abuja even before you got your pathetic job, lived in Lagos, and visited more parts of Nigeria than your sorry ass. Guess what? There are places over here which you haven't heard about. . .not New York, LA, London, Paris, Toronto, Madrid. . .but life here is way, way, way, way much better than you will ever know. Believe that people who work here as welders (nothing wrong with that job), they make more money and live a better quality of life than you will ever know. If you make millions from your suffer-head white collar job and you can go to the malls and buy imported goods and flaunt it in the face of your less fortunate neighbor, but can you buy good roads, electricity (not generator killing you with noise and pollution), freedom without harassment from politicians, thugs and robbers, justice and fair hearing (almost 100% of the time), health care that you can bank on (remember your president will not even vouch for his life after spending N2B to import equipment for his personal use, and the list goes on. . .endlessly). This is not in a popular city and this is even for less than average people who can only have an ordinary job. Now, think of people who actually aim very high in their vocations and create the technologies the company you work for sells or markets in Nigeria.

2. Those companies you mention (Chevron, Shell, Haliburton, etc) are only paying you slave wages for all I care. How much do you earn that you think it is representative of everyone in Nigeria? Guess what? In a proper, fair and functioning system, although people will work for these companies you boast about, a lot of people will not. Some will finish their high school, start on a bright idea and make more money you could never dream about. You are talking of a job like you will keep the job forever. . .you must be demented. Look at the worst cases in the villages and smaller towns where real people face serious challenges foisted on them mostly by a system that is designed to limit them from the day they were born. The salary you get per year is what some students will get here on a scholarship in one year and you are flexing muscle? The least privileged person here will still enjoy the roads you cannot, the power you cannot, the peace you cannot, the stability you cannot, better health care than Yaradua can buy for billions in Germany! I am talking about the least privileged in a small town ad your are boasting about a failed system operating in the "best" places in Nigeria?

3. I bet you can never quit or resign this job you worship except you die or are incapacitated, can you? I see your are even talking about the fact that you are a "big boy". . .utter FOOLISHNESS. Look, it is only in failed and failing states like Nigeria that how big you are is important. When you visited somewhere outside Nigeria, did anyone notice your clothes, your jewelery or that you are a big boy? Did you not join a queue, wait for your turn and address even a receptionist with respect and courtesy? If you disagreed with someone, did you just slap them and insist on YOUR way? Look, in a functioning system, a much higher paying job will be resigned and the person goes back to school or quits to take his life in another direction. Can anyone in Nigeria (average Joe the Plumber) resign his job and be confident of his next steps?
The problem with guys like you are a lot
~you think everybody has difficulties travelling abroad
~You think everybody would like to live in New York and blah blah blah to make it
~you definitely think living abroad is a sign of fulfillment

Like i said before, this thread has been derailed since and i hope the OP can re-direct posters to the original intent of this thread which happens to be the fate of those travelling months to go to spain, Libya and other countries near Africa.

This thread has nothin to do with the comparisons of those living abroad and those in Nigeria

To address some of ur points, i'll only say empty vessels make the loudest noise.
Its typical of those that are struggling abroad to be quick to cast aspersions and make derogatory comments of those who live here.

some of us have lived there, studied there and were given birth to there and still would prefer to live here
if living in Nigeria and callin meself a big boi elicited all those comments grin grin then i can only laff at u.

If ure not mentally deranged, uncivilised and crude, then you wouldnt throw insults to drive home needless points
If the points in me posts were scatterd and you couldnt get hold of them, all u had to do was read my summary; in it lies the point that says, you can make it anywhere. The idea is to have a plan that works for you.

uve gat norrin on me bro, enjoy
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Positivity(m): 8:35am On Nov 12, 2009
I knew this topic would attain its boiling point sooner than later! lipsrsealed Perhaps when we're done with castigating each other for staying in diiferent part of the world and Nigeria, maybe, just maybe we'll take a look at the bigger picture - how to slay the hydra headed monster. . . corruption et-al in Nigeria.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by tkb417(m): 8:47am On Nov 12, 2009
You really don't have to use such foul words to mess up your points. The man works to keep himself and family afloat, especially in one of the worst of places, Nigeria. He deserves some respect for that. Plus I did not see anything abusive or derogatory in his post. So, why use such harsh, clueless and stupid words on him?

There are people who shuttles Nigeria and other countries of this world. They have interests here at home and all over the globe. And they can afford to stay anywhere at time T. Yet, they feel more relaxed and comfortable over here at home. For some of us, we love our traditions, our culture better than what all these other countries you boast of have to offer. You can call ours crude and all what not. But I'll still stick with ours here than face what those countries have to offer.
The point I'm making is that different people have different reasons for doing what they do - including where they stay and others. It's their choice.
bro, u dey mind the guy

some confuzzled souls wouldnt understand lil things. The thread isnt about the standard of livin of the genreal populace compared to thos in Nigeria and since the man has decided to use me as a yardstick to measure how living abroad is better, then my summary is perhaps living abroad diminishes the ability to reason and come with informed statements. That guy is a classic example of an educated but yet not exposed individual.

i dey waka joh
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by tkb417(m): 8:54am On Nov 12, 2009
AjanleKoko:

Haba, how can someone say he is working in Shell, Halliburton or Chevron, and is better off?
Most people in Nigeria don't even have a career. They armtwist their relatives to get a job in all these places. Then they promptly start a lifelong cat and mouse game to stay in the system. Those are the 'big boys'.

Some people run their business and make money . . . however, if the system is working, those 'businesses' would disappear with ease.

I'll use a telecoms example. In the late 90s , Oluwole boys selling 'fire' line were all over the place, people were making huge killings from operating business centers and cybercafes. People used to queue for hours to receive a phone call from abroad. A friend of mine owned four of such business centers.

With the coming of deregulation in telecoms, where are all those business centers, when you can make an international call from your CDMA cell for as low as N10 a minute, or 55 kobo per second (GSM)? That my friend has shut down all the business centers and is now looking frantically for a job.

It's just like saying you're selling generators or inverters, and making millions of naira. Fix the power problem, where does that leave your 'business'?

lol
Ajanlekoko has only succeeded in throwing red herrings
you should know better but what will i do if you cant understand; ill let it slide

@Topic
i withdraw ma initial post about Chevron and Haliburton and the 'big boi' quote as i can see its affecting the psyche of people
kindly address the topic and leave ma post out of it. I hope that wont hurt
thank you grin
Im not after you people and we are not in a race abeg (lol)

Positivity:

I knew this topic would attain its boiling point sooner than later! lipsrsealed Perhaps when we're done with castigating each other for staying in diiferent part of the world and Nigeria, maybe, just maybe we'll take a look at the bigger picture - how to slay the hydra headed monster. . . corruption et-al in Nigeria.

na so i see am o; my post was in good faith o but see as den dey take
lol; nobody is feedin anybody
if you like live in somalia, the koko is to fend for ur family and be able to have a good life

if thats done, leave the rest to God

i agree with u tho, when guys chillax, we'll come back to address the common enemy- bad governance/government in Nigeria
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by rozu4luv(m): 9:01am On Nov 12, 2009
life as a Nigerian will be hard becos we Nigerians want to make money no mata how or were. we don't have respect for the poor that is why we do all that but for i don't see myself going abroad to make money if i most go out dere it is for fun not for stresss!!.
we have all it takes to make Nigeria a better place but we are all blinded with grid and envy and will alone want to fight 4 our bags alone 4getting the country and others in it.
we should open our eyes and see dat we are blessed and use wat we have and make dis country Nigeria great
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by supereagle(m): 9:17am On Nov 12, 2009
Nigeria is a land of opportunities and abundance,the people going to another man's land are blind and not aware of the oppotunities in Naija Land. If we have good leaders, nobody will dare leave Nig illegally, the only oil producing Nation her people are still wallowing in abject poverty. what a shame!
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by felifeli: 9:27am On Nov 12, 2009
Why would anyone want to live as an illegal immigrant abroad instead of living like a decent human being at home. I know a Nigerian  consultant doctor who was deported after 27 years in US when they found that just one  of his papers submitted more than 20 years ago had a simple error.

Another man Lou Dobbs was deported after 48 years living illegally in US even though he had a respectable job as a CNN host. See here
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/breaking_u_s_deports_lou_dobbs

Get back home quick and  go to farm.It is better than sweeping toilet abroad.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Nobody: 9:35am On Nov 12, 2009
[b]What makes you think those "boat travelers" haven't tried exploiting several business opportunities with business before giving up?I'll use myself as an example.There's a supermarket i opened up in Festac (5th avenue to be precise) about a year ago.Excluding the outrageously high rentage,renovation expenses and so on, i spent well over N2 million to put the shop in place.It's been over one year in operation and i haven't even recovered the money i used in buying chillers for the drinks (not to talk of generators, A/C and other stuffs).I am not even thinking about recovering the rent i paid dearly for.I am not even talking about profit coz that one is "bye bye".I closed up shop out of frustration last month coz i wasn't even making enough profit,

grin grin grin grin

@Mr Mccloud, as a Festac resident, i look at guys like you that recently buy/rent shops at exorbitant prizes in order to start a supermarket/ salon /boutique business in Festac and i LMAO cos within six months, the business usually heads for the rocks. REASON This business in Festac is already saturated to breaking point in this area. Man, what were u thinking Next time u wan to venture into some profitable business, think long, and i mean really long and hard.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by ono(m): 9:39am On Nov 12, 2009
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 12, 2009
embarassedAfter posting my comment on illegal immigrants i  expected  this topic to generate into something else.
The truth is very clear, we as nigerians all know we are the problems of nigeria.
If we as nigerians keep talking bad about our country, who will talk good about it. U are a nigerian whether u like it or not, no matter where you are or who who are. If we do not like ourselves why do we expect forieghners to respect us.
I bet you that most countires wished they had all the resources we had.
Sometimes i ask my self this Question? what are we running from? is it corruption, poverty or natural disasters.
Let us all rethink. Nigerians will never see anything good about thier country becuase Nigerians hate nigeria.
If we keep insulting ourselves and abusing our Government, would that not make other countries treat us like trash.
Most of us who travel alot with the green passport can testify to the general reaction when that passport is brought out.
We can only develop our country with right mindset.
WE will Get There in NO TIME
No matter where i go, I will alsays comeback home.
It starts with me and you.
Do your own part and this country might just get better
Good Luck cheesy
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Nobody: 9:46am On Nov 12, 2009
Behold the facts:
2. Hausa/Fulani people are rarely forced to migrate overseas as are the southerners
3. An average Hausa/Fulani graduate is more likely to be employed by either the state or federal governments compared to a southerner.
4. Hausa/Fulani people have been running the federal government for a long time, and their policies have tended to push southerners into diaspora.
5. This genration of Nigerians overseas would like to return home, because they have nostalgic feelings about home, but their children wouldn't care one bit about Nigeria.

@Naijaking, i couldnt agree more. Gets me wishing for a replica of the Berlin wall in this country. Southerners will be better off.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Sunnybobo3(m): 10:23am On Nov 12, 2009
I just stumbled on this thread and have seen some funny posts by people here especially those of us abroad. I'll make a more elaborate post later cos i have to be somewhere now. For someone to come here and say Nigerians dont wash toilets or do cleaning jobs anymore in LONDON where i stay is to say the least comical. I am talking about legal immigrants here and not illegal immigrants.

I'll be back later
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Shinatu: 10:24am On Nov 12, 2009
AjanleKoko:

Most people in Nigeria don't even have a career. They armtwist their relatives to get a job in all these places. Then they promptly start a lifelong cat and mouse game to stay in the system
. Those are the 'big boys'.

@Ajanlenkoko

I do not believe you are saying this I had no intention of posting on this thread but I could not allow this to pass.
I am in the Nigerian Oil&Gas and I want to ask you if you have any experience with recruitment in any of the companies you mentioned above?

The Oil and gas industry, especially exploration and development is a highly Technical one requiring the best of brains who compare well with their colleagues in other parts of the world through participation in international professional exams.

These multinationals have established cross posting programmes where the Nigerian staff get to work in their companies in other parts of the world from time to time and you say these guys do not have careers?

I am not talking about who is a 'big boy' and who is not, just to let you know that the people who nuinely work for these companies do not need to armtwist anyone to be there.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by felifeli: 10:28am On Nov 12, 2009
Ije004:

Behold the facts:

@Naijaking, i couldnt agree more. Gets me wishing for a replica of the Berlin wall in this country.  Southerners will be better off.

And what point are you trying to make ? Many of us are always flashing the tribal card when we run out people to blame for their laziness. How many Hausa/Fulani end up with western education - compared with southerners ? They should therefore be rightly still treated as minorities and therefore encouraged as minorities are specially encouraged both in UK/USA . The percentage of Ogoni/ Delta scholarships compared to Igbo/Yoruba also indicate some special preferences  as far as I know. No sweat about that.

Nobody is quarreling with those who want to live abroad. As a matter of fact I know a lot of UK/USA citizens,especially blacks, who will give anything to get out of those countries - if they could find somewhere else.  If you must, then go for it as it is a free world. But do it properly not as a criminal. An illegal immigrant is a criminal if you don't know and sooner or later the law will catch up with them. If people only expend "just half" of the energy that they expend on doing degrading menial jobs abroad , on doing better menial jobs at home their life will definitely have more meaning. What sort of career does a Nigerian doctor have driving a cab in Chicago ? Pathetic.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by tkb417(m): 10:50am On Nov 12, 2009
Ajanlenkoko

I do not believe you are saying this I had no intention of posting on this thread but I could not allow this to pass.
I am in the Nigerian Oil&Gas and I want to ask you if you have any experience with recruitment in any of the companies you mentioned above?

The Oil and gas industry, especially exploration and development is a highly Technical one requiring the best of brains [b]who compare well with their colleagues in other parts of the world through participation in international professional exam[/b]s.

These multinationals have established cross posting programmes where the Nigerian staff get to work in their companies in other parts of the world from time to time and you say these guys do not have careers?

I am not talking about who is a 'big boy' and who is not, just to let you know that the people who nuinely work for these companies do not need to armtwist anyone to be there.
let is slide

I think the part that arouses the interest is the big boi part i mentioned
is it only the exploration part that is highly technical?

for people to even think like this beats me hands down
im done with this topic/comments

what we know will liberate us not what we claim to know; as i can see, a lotta people do not know
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by tkb417(m): 10:53am On Nov 12, 2009
Nobody is quarreling with those who want to live abroad. As a matter of fact I know a lot of UK/USA citizens,especially blacks, who will give anything to get out of those countries - if they could find somewhere else. If you must, then go for it as it is a free world. But do it properly not as a criminal. An illegal immigrant is a criminal if you don't know and sooner or later the law will catch up with them. If people only expend "just half" of the energy that they expend on doing degrading menial jobs abroad , on doing better menial jobs at home their life will definitely have more meaning. What sort of career does a Nigerian doctor have driving a cab in Chicago ? Pathetic
i thought tht was the intent of this thread -illegal immigrants

now its turned to how living abroad is better than Nigeria.

ol boi you have spoken well jare
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by olisa07: 10:56am On Nov 12, 2009
My head is filled up.

Thank you all, It all boils down to the bad government here.

These guys dont have human sympathy, God serve Nigeria !

I cant wait to enback on my own move, that is stepping up !

Illegal is illegal, irrespective of how you paint it.

what worth doing is worth doing well.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by itua70: 11:08am On Nov 12, 2009
My brother, it is well. if only they understand, life is not a bed of roses anywhere in the world. leaving home, they feel it is better on the other side forgeting that, over there, there are  people suffering too.
Re: Life As An Illegal Immigrant Abroad by Ajike: 11:10am On Nov 12, 2009
As far as i am concern i dont blame all these people running abroad at all. what is there to enjoy i nigeria? somebody said nigeria is better cos you would not pay any y bills. by fire by force you will pay nepa or phcn but you will not be given electricity for months, at times it will not blink or better still they will just flash you when another month is getting to an end. I will rather wash plates and toilet abroad than working as a banker here, where there is no security, you will use half of ur salary  to generate  your own light, buy water house rent skyrocketed every yr, traffik jam everywhere, bad roads your car not even do 3 to 4 months at strech without visitin d mechanic workshop, infact you spend money virtually on everything if possible the air you breath in cos you can hardly inhale a fresh air with the fume from OKADA and off road vehicles, infact not work in this country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Reconstruction Of Gate-oje-beere-oja To Oba-molete Under Bridge by GSM govt(pix) / Governor Alia Delivers 100 Buses For Transport In Benue State [Photos] / I Want To Relocate To Gabon. Advice Me. I’m A Teacher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.