Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,953 members, 7,835,181 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? - Literature (95) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? (95294 Views)

Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! / Novels Are Time Sucking, Time Wasting Cooked Up Stories? / Which Books Are You Currently Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by vescucci(m): 9:51pm On Feb 22, 2011
It's either not the first sci-fi book by a Nigerian or he wrote another sci-fi book that's not this one cuz I remember the synopsis differently. Anyways, great stuff. I'm glad. I only wish he'd have readers from Nigeria too.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Feb 22, 2011
Meditation for dummies lipsrsealed.

I have the attention span of a gnat, need to work on my concentration.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by KennyG6(m): 10:47pm On Feb 22, 2011
Things fall apart
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by doyin13(m): 11:24pm On Feb 22, 2011
God Of Small Things- - - - Arhundati Roy
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by ayosmiles(m): 2:27pm On Feb 23, 2011
@vescussi. Ye I agree he's probably not the first Nigerian that has written in the sci-fi genre. But his book is the first Nigerian book I have seen that deliberately andprofoundly examines issues of scientific significance. Every theory and principle in the book is sound and correct. It is also interesting as it deals with politics and romance also. I know Nnedi Okorafor(Author of Zarah the windseeker, who also publishes in America) is considered a sci-fi writer. It is wrong. Wht she writes is actually fantasy, paranormal stuff.

Also contrary to your assumption the book is available in nigeria. You can google the author's name to find out how to get a copy.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by vescucci(m): 7:26pm On Feb 23, 2011
I weep for my name.

I checked out your blog (I believe it's yours) and I liked it. Therein I read a synopsis of sorts of the book. Its premise is very good. But unfortunately writers with Nigerian roots aren't the same as Nigerian writers per se but it's all a step in the right direction. By the way, my assumption was not that the book wouldn't be available in Nigeria. It was that Nigerians will probably not read sci-fi.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by janedoe(f): 2:12am On Feb 25, 2011
@ topic-Scream for me
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Brisingr(m): 2:55am On Feb 25, 2011
broken wire - deavers
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 10:34am On Feb 25, 2011
[size=13pt]It's interesting that Roy said in an interview that she'd never read Rushdie when compared to him. In retrospect that makes sense. I'd been struggling with "The Moors Last Sigh" when a friend from India gave me this book. I didn't pick it up for a few months and then fell into it , doing little else for days while I read it. At first I found that hard to believe, because she plays with language in ways that I thought Rushdie did, but later I could see that the way he works language is radically different than how she did -- grin grin and I think I read a critique somewhere offering evidence of that that I can't remember now.

This was a gorgeous book. I wept for a long time after reading it grin grin . I find it interesting that Roy said she doubted she would write another novel. She's a fascinating person, dedicated to the sorts of thinking about the world that I only give lip service to. She's amazing grin grin . Still, I'd love a second book, but I don't think she will. She's moved on to something different. cheesy cheesy wink
[/size]

doyin13:

God Of Small Things- - - - Arhundati Roy
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by mbulela: 11:18pm On Feb 25, 2011
Letters to Malcolm, chiefly on prayers - C.S. Lewis
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by tubabie(f): 11:13pm On Feb 26, 2011
A Perfect Proposal - Katie Fforde
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 11:59pm On Feb 26, 2011
[size=13pt]This was a fun read, it was nice to read about a level headed main character who could also laugh at herself. I did not see the fire coming and found that was a very tense part of the book which had me sitting on the edge of my seat. I also could not wait for Anna to wake up and see Max for the pompous jerk that he truly is! grin grin wink[/size]

tubabie:

A Perfect Proposal - Katie Fforde
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Jarus(m): 4:48pm On Feb 27, 2011
Eat that frog, by Brian Tracy
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by yme1(f): 6:48pm On Feb 27, 2011
in a strange room, by Damon Galgut
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Xfactor2(f): 7:05pm On Feb 27, 2011
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by tollu: 1:46pm On Feb 28, 2011
Jarus:

Eat that frog, by Brian Tracy

Hmm do you tend to procastinate too or just reading the book cos it's available?

@ Topic
The Inheritors - Harold Robbins
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by medjai(m): 9:44am On Mar 04, 2011
A Walk In The Night and Other Short Stories - Alex Laguma
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by medjai(m): 9:45am On Mar 04, 2011
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 4:20pm On Mar 04, 2011
[size=13pt]umm. . . . grin grin i have read this book. wink[/size]

medjai:

Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by LarrySun(m): 8:23am On Mar 05, 2011
I've just finished The Godfather by Mario Puzo, so I'm on The Last Don, by same author.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 12:06am On Mar 10, 2011
[size=13pt]umm. . . that's a very good read my dear . wink[/size]

Larry-Sun:

I've just finished The Godfather by Mario Puzo, so I'm on The Last Don, by same author.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by misright(f): 8:31am On Mar 11, 2011
'Runaway Heart' by Stephen Cannell. Advances in genetic engineering, The development of sub human slaves by genetic transfer.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by PeeBee: 7:47pm On Mar 13, 2011
Almost perfect -Patricia Rice
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by webbjamie(m): 11:12am On Mar 22, 2011
Door to december:Dean Koontz
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Phate07(m): 11:44am On Mar 22, 2011

The bible. sad
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by tanimz(f): 2:41pm On Mar 22, 2011
The year my sister got lucky - Aimee Friedman.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by vescucci(m): 2:50pm On Mar 22, 2011
To Kill a Mockingbird
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by iice(f): 2:55pm On Mar 22, 2011
Twilight Saga again.  Yeah the bluidy movies were total crap comparatively.
Before that : When the Bough breaks ~ J Kellerman
Obsession ~ J kellerman
Compulsion ~ J Kellerman
The Faithful Spy ~ Alex Berenson (took it off an island grin. . .will have to replace it with another novel when i go back)
Renaissance Men ~ Ian Rankin
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Mar 22, 2011
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by numanu(m): 7:10pm On Mar 22, 2011
[color=#000099][/color]The books of meaningful is a books of negritude or protest. I'm now reading a book of protest titled as *Black boy*.
Re: Which Books/Novels Are You Currently Reading? by Xfactor2(f): 9:48pm On Mar 22, 2011
Fearless Fourteen: Janet Evanovish - its gets you rofl

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (100)

Blood For Blood:a Tale Of Treachery / A Story: Broken Vows / SCHOOL LIFE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.