Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,256 members, 7,815,395 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? (31253 Views)

Most Dangerous Places To Live In London Online Poll,Peckham No 1 / Coming To South East London(peckham)help Needed / Little Lagos In South London( Peckham) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by blackspade(m): 6:05pm On Nov 12, 2009
lol @ una. grin grin grin

1. This thread was not intended to look down on anyone, it was intended to show just how populated this area is with Nigerians. I actually thought it was cool because here in Los Angeles, the Nigerian community is spread out and I was fascinated seeing us so concentrated in one area.

2. I am not propagating anything for the BNP, it just so happened that their video caught my interest, and its the only one that truly shows the vast population of Nigerians in Peckham. For those who say there is no proof these people are Nigerian, you are right, but I have statistics that show Peckham is 50% Africa, and its most common reported immigrant group is Nigerians. When I was there in '07, besides Nigerians and Caribbeans (with ongoing immigration, i think in the future they will form less % of population), the only other black group I noticed in big numbers were Sierra Leoneans (and some Somali people). Besides that, I can look at someones face and tell if they are Nigerian. Pls, you cannot deny this place is packed with Nigerians, especially Yoruba. (no tribalism)

3. I used the word "infested" in jest. . . . . no vex pls.

4. Please stop assuming things about me on behalf of the comments of others, this is only the second time I have commented in this thread; not one time have I said anything about ghetto or dirty, etc. . . .

5. Some of you that are based in britain need to go home ASAP, the 'stick up your ass syndrone' in some of you is worse than white British.

. . . .  . .btw, where the fukc is Thor?   cheesy
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by blackspade(m): 6:12pm On Nov 12, 2009
Am I the only one seeing a white screen where the video is supposed to be? I think there is either something wrong with my javascript, or youtube is being communist again.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 6:16pm On Nov 12, 2009
blackspade:

Am I the only one seeing a white screen where the video is supposed to be? I think there is either something wrong with my javascript, or youtube is being communist again.

I wouldn't say that if I was you grin grin grin, if you know you don't want Google to ban you for good, haha
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by blackspade(m): 6:30pm On Nov 12, 2009
manny4life:

I wouldn't say that if I was you grin grin grin, if you know you don't want Google to ban you for good,  haha

grin Dem ban me, I go for yahoo!! (or did google and yahoo successfully merge already? shocked)
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by omar22(m): 6:33pm On Nov 12, 2009
@Blackspade in the 40's and 50's when British government invited the West Indies over to come and work due to lack of man power they made sure that every black person lived in south london, everywhere provided but it wont be at the same standard as those who live across the river but by the 60 and 70's the Africans joined the party, then if a black person move into a road, white people would start to move out one by one and since the Blacks and Asians like to live closely to their own people south london became a congregation of Afro Carribbean  people, the Asian started moving West London but by the end of the 80 black people started changing location, thet started moving into what it was supposed to be a racist area and though it out with the whites, by the end of the 90s blacks started moving out of London into Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex etc in large numbers but one thing i know is that Peckham is the place, you have indians shop owners who could speak yoruba, Liverpool street is all about Nigerian cloths,
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by snowdrops(m): 6:42pm On Nov 12, 2009
" but one thing i know is that Peckham is the place, you have indians shop owners who could speak yoruba"
grin grin grin
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by omar22(m): 6:51pm On Nov 12, 2009
" but one thing i know is that Peckham is the place, you have indians shop owners who could speak yoruba"

Theirs this Indian lady at the end of Rye lane that sells vegetables, onces she sees you she would say that you are from Ijebu Ijesha, The meat sellers would call Shaki, Edo, pomo etc, if you ask egusi, gari, elubo, fufu, ogbono etc they would go and bring it,
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by redsky1: 6:54pm On Nov 12, 2009
please people defending peckham as if its the best thing since sliced bread get real, it is a dump - u can dash me that £350K+ house fully paid for and buy me a jeep and put outside the house - nothing in this world would make me move there. what about the crime rates there or what peckham no longer has a gang problem and now i'm reading stories of increased incidents of gang rapes.

get real - yes those of us that live outside these areas find it a pain sometimes when we can't buy our food locally but what the hell in a car for. na wah o - i know where i can go to get my naija food and go home in peace and sleep well at night.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by r231(m): 7:06pm On Nov 12, 2009
DOAweb:

Com on guys, be honest - Pechkam is a hell hole, and way too many naijas living in abject poverty all in the spirit of I LIVE in LONDON.

You don't want to be in the Brixton area after 22.00hrs. GOD help U with all dem Jamos smoking and selling 'ganja'.

dats not true.
I have been running my club in Brixton now for over 5 yrs and i am always there till 3 - 4am and nothing happened. this days you can get stabbed anywhere is its not just Brixton or peckham
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by omar22(m): 7:08pm On Nov 12, 2009
dats not true.
I have been running my club in Brixton now for over 5 yrs and i am always there till 3 - 4am and nothing happened. this days you can get stabbed anywhere is its not just Brixton or peckham

EXACTLY, Knowing that Nigerians use the famous Brixton Recreation Center for all night party EVERY WEEK
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by r231(m): 7:11pm On Nov 12, 2009
omar22:

EXACTLY, Knowing that Nigerians use the famous Brixton Recreation Center for all night party EVERY WEEK

thank you jare. you knw how pple label d place like its a very dangerous place
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by posakosa(m): 7:11pm On Nov 12, 2009
same way the Chinese infest Nigeria like cockroaches
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by vanitty: 7:12pm On Nov 12, 2009
For a proper Nigeria girl living in london, it will be almost unbelievable if she says she has never been to peckham before undecided
Peckham is the perfect place to buy Nigeria foodstuffs among other things
Besides peckham has always been like that, I remember the days of fools and horses - 1981 - 199something, even before peckham was "annexxed" by Nigerians
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by posakosa(m): 7:13pm On Nov 12, 2009
r31: so u're a club owner ? kool.  tongue tongue tongue

will I get some discount if I come ? I like V.I.P.: as a marra of business, close the entire club for me and my boyz----  tongue tongue tongue
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by r231(m): 7:22pm On Nov 12, 2009
posakosa:

r31: so u're a club owner ? kool.  tongue tongue tongue

will I get some discount if I come ? I like V.I.P.: as a marra of business, close the entire club for me and my boyz----  tongue tongue tongue

anytime bruv d door is always open i am rdy for ya lol
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by annekix(m): 7:23pm On Nov 12, 2009
@poster

[size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt]INfested!!!![/size][/size][/size]
[size=8pt][size=8pt]
intestfed!!!!!
[/size][/size]

of all words in the english dictionay you chose that one?

So Nigerians have turned to vermins, pest eh, ?

the brits need to set traps and exterminate them before they INFEst other areas eh
infact

This nairaland is [size=8pt]INFESTED[/size] with dumb jobless poster's

choose ur words wisely b4 ur put stuff up! slowpoke!
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by blackspade(m): 7:28pm On Nov 12, 2009
Why the little disclaimer? Rep your hood! grin grin

Throw your P's up. . . . grin

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDwFb2hE8T8[/flash]

omar22:

@Blackspade in the 40's and 50's when British government invited the West Indies over to come and work due to lack of man power they made sure that every black person lived in south london, everywhere provided but it wont be at the same standard as those who live across the river but by the 60 and 70's the Africans joined the party, then if a black person move into a road, white people would start to move out one by one and since the Blacks and Asians like to live closely to their own people south london became a congregation of Afro Carribbean  people, the Asian started moving West London but by the end of the 80 black people started changing location, thet started moving into what it was supposed to be a racist area and though it out with the whites, by the end of the 90s blacks started moving out of London into Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex etc in large numbers but one thing i know is that Peckham is the place, you have indians shop owners who could speak yoruba, Liverpool street is all about Nigerian cloths,

Thanks for the explanation. It's shocking to learn that blacks were only in South London at one time.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by blackspade(m): 7:35pm On Nov 12, 2009
annekix:

@poster

[size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt]INfested!!!![/size][/size][/size]
[size=8pt][size=8pt]
intestfed!!!!!
[/size][/size]

of all words in the english dictionay you chose that one?

So Nigerians have turned to vermins,  pest eh, ?

the brits need to set traps and exterminate them before they INFEst other areas eh
infact

This nairaland is [size=8pt]INFESTED[/size] with dumb jobless poster's

choose your words wisely b4 your put stuff up! slowpoke!

Say wetin? Make me gay.

How on earth were you issued a visa to the UK? You're obviously semi-illiterate; your inability to read certain things and your atrocious grammar tells me it would be a waste of time to educate you.

It comes as no surprise to see a slowpoke such as yourself attempt to identify a fellow slowpoke to share your sad existence with. Sorry to disappoint you, but I am not a morn.

Run along now, I wouldn't want you to miss your ESL classes (or whatever they call them over there). wink
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by blackspade(m): 7:44pm On Nov 12, 2009
omar22:

Theirs this Indian lady at the end of Rye lane that sells vegetables, onces she sees you she would say that you are from Ijebu Ijesha, The meat sellers would call Shaki, Edo, pomo etc, if you ask egusi, gari, elubo, fufu, ogbono etc they would go and bring it,

So are you saying Asians run the shops there and not Africans? I remember reading an article that said Africans and Caribbeans were the most entrepreneurial in Britain, and I was under the impression that the majority of shops in Peckham were African or Caribbean owned. What is the situation there?
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by D1KeleVra(m): 7:48pm On Nov 12, 2009
what remains to be seen in Peckham are danfo drivers. . . i know they're there somwhr
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by vanitty: 7:50pm On Nov 12, 2009
redsky1:

please people defending peckham as if its the best thing since sliced bread get real, it is a dump - u can dash me that £350K+ house fully paid for and buy me a jeep and put outside the house - nothing in this world would make me move there. what about the crime rates there or what peckham no longer has a gang problem and now i'm reading stories of increased incidents of gang rapes.

get real - yes those of us that live outside these areas find it a pain sometimes when we can't buy our food locally but what the hell in a car for. na wah o - i know where i can go to get my naija food and go home in peace and sleep well at night.

Oh we you just hush up, we get it you live in the country clap for yourself
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by redsky1: 7:54pm On Nov 12, 2009
vanitty:

Oh we you just hush up, we get it you live in the country clap for yourself

what is ur problem
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by vanitty: 7:55pm On Nov 12, 2009
ever heard the phrase empty barrels makes the loudest noise?
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by D1KeleVra(m): 7:58pm On Nov 12, 2009
hehe cheesy i'm lovin this cheesy there's always a battle on NL
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by redsky1: 8:03pm On Nov 12, 2009
wow so now i can't have an opinion - peckham is a gettho - over and out.

if i have been blessed enough to not live in bad area and grew up in suburbs what is ur issue.

na wah o - if i said i grew up on te 24th floor in brixton then i will no longer be an empty vessel abi.

i'm not going to apologise for having a nice enough life
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by omar22(m): 8:03pm On Nov 12, 2009
So are you saying Asians run the shops there and not Africans? I remember reading an article that said Africans and Caribbeans were the most entrepreneurial in Britain, and I was under the impression that the majority of shops in Peckham were African or Caribbean owned. What is the situation there?

All butchers, fish mongers, grocery stores etc which are essential to everyone are 99% Asian. Africans started owning their own shops in London at the begining of the 90's the Caribbeans started earlier may be 10 years earlier but the Asians hit the ground running thats why they have their own entities all over UK. But in peckham its all nations even the latino have their own shops,
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by omar22(m): 8:09pm On Nov 12, 2009
peckham is a gettho - over and out.

Have your ever heard of Chuck hill estate in stonebridge, If your looking for a real ghetto then theirs one
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by vanitty: 8:11pm On Nov 12, 2009
You must be 16 or below undecided "reminds me of the days when we use to compete, my fancy pen is better than your eleganza biro"
What surburb lo paruwo gan sef ti o ni je ka simi undecided
You were blessed to live in surburb . . thank your God or lucky stars but that does not give you the authority to gloat, your first post on this topic reeks of arrogance.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by denzel2009: 8:15pm On Nov 12, 2009
@blackspade

You see calling someone semi-illiterate is not even correct English, Look it up, as far as I'm concerned you are jobless walking aimlessly around a market street with a camera phone.

Who else do you expect to see where they sell Nigerian foodstuffs? Monks?

Without peckham Rye lane, I dont know how we Nigerians are going to survive except to be eating that rubbish chicken and chips they sell everywhere.

God bless Peckham jare.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by blackboy(m): 8:17pm On Nov 12, 2009
Peckham? I thought it was the Jamiacan's hood. Those from the Caribbean . Guess Nigerian have blended there too. If you will notice inthe video a small boy wore a shirt with the Jamaican flag on it.
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by redsky1: 8:20pm On Nov 12, 2009
to answer ur statement - yes i was gloating a bit.

whenever i go back home - people love telling me about their London trips and they have family in London blah blah blah - when they are naming these run down places i do laugh cos i nod in agreement that these places exist in London but the people around us that don't know these places think that peckham na Chelsea, brixton na st johns wood - i mean there is gettho lagos and their is lekki and vgc lagos.

if someone is going to play big boy they need to understand that not all off us will keep quiet about it - or is it the one that told me her fathers house is on oxford street!!!!!!!!! so i shouldn't point out that this is highly unlikely.

ok - so that people who are living on council estates don't feel too bad anymore i'll put down 18th floor council rat infested flat in elephant and castle to make u all feel better as my profile location - man this forum can be headache sometimes - even on the internet one can't be themselves
Re: When Did Peckham (In London) Get Annexed By Nigeria? by omar22(m): 8:23pm On Nov 12, 2009
What surburb lo paruwo gan sef ti o ni je ka simi

tell am Jare, people who live in face me I face you for Idumota now dey at as if they no dey shit

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Mother Forgets Her Baby In A Commercial Bus After Alighting In Imo (video) / Some Rare Images Of Lagos, About 50years Ago. / Moving To Norway Soonest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.